In the Land of Zu.   Posted by GM StarMaster.Group: 0
Korkas
 player, 12 posts
 Trollkin Monk Bodyguard
 AC: 18 HP:39/39
Mon 3 Jun 2019
at 23:30
Re: In the Land of Zu
In reply to GM StarMaster (msg # 489):

Korkas pointed towards the partially submerged walls "Possibly something close beneath the surface. And that cave opening in low tide might be useful. Should go check it out."
Jheridan
 player, 38 posts
 Human Gunmage
 AC 21; HP 32/32
Tue 11 Jun 2019
at 00:23
Re: In the Land of Zu
"Good eye, Korkas," Jheridan responds to the Trollkin's observation.

"Do you feel like going for a swim?"

"Personally, I'd want to study it a bit more to see how the tides affect it. And I'd definitely want to have rope tied around me before I went in... so that I can be pulled out if something goes wrong."

"Of course, there might be another way in... either natural or man-made... assuming there's anything in there in the first place."

"Let's keep looking."

Korkas
 player, 13 posts
 Trollkin Monk Bodyguard
 AC: 18 HP:39/39
Tue 11 Jun 2019
at 22:55
Re: In the Land of Zu
Korkas shrugged and nodded, he wasn't in charge so if the other didn't want to go diving into the water he wasn't going to volunteer. He started examining the area to see if there were any other ways about that could lead to where they were interested.


OOC: Search is +0 if that is more applicable, Spot is + 6


15:56, Today: Korkas rolled 16 using 1d20 with rolls of 16.  Spot or Search.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:57, Tue 11 June.

Ioelenna Winterspire
 player, 100 posts
 Nyssa Winter Warwytch
 Adept/Warmage
Wed 12 Jun 2019
at 20:56
Re: In the Land of Zu
In reply to Korkas (msg # 492):

Ioelenna shrugs.

"I guess I could go for a swim and look around."

This message had punctuation tweaked by the GM at 21:19, Sat 22 June.

Nicollo Baldino
 player, 103 posts
 Thurian Gun Mage
 AC 15; HP 27/27
Sat 22 Jun 2019
at 21:25
Re: In the Land of Zu
"Right! I forgot that you have that protective... stuff," Nicollo says.

"While it's hot and humid out here in the air, it's cooler for you in the water, but the water is also fairly warm."

"If you think you are up for it, by all means, see what you can see under the water. No one can go with you, though. You'll be on your own."

GM StarMaster
 GM, 317 posts
Sat 22 Jun 2019
at 21:47
Re: In the Land of Zu
Jheridan and Korkas continue their search, and it isn't until they cross over the small ridge that they spot a crevasse in the rocks below. It's a bit tricky to climb down but not hard. The crevasse is about 20 feet long, but only 3 feet wide in the middle, tapering away at either end.

Looking down into, you can see that it heads back in the direction of the grotto. While it looks like it might be reasonably easy to climb down due to the slanted surface, it also looks like it might be bit of a tight squeeze for Korkas.



Katrin and Morrison keep following the path until they suddenly come across a cave opening... on the right, of course. It was blocked from sight by a slight outcropping of rock. It's not a large opening triangular in shape, maybe 4 feet wide at the bottom, tapering to a point at the top, and 5 feet high. There's enough light shining in to show that it is a cave. You quickly realize that there is more light than accounted for by the opening alone, and a quick search reveals three 'windows'... barely more than cracks in the rock face.
Tealon Holdron
 player, 292 posts
 "Blaster"; ArcaneMechanik
 AC 14 (22); HP 24/24
Sun 23 Jun 2019
at 09:07
Re: In the Land of Zu
Soaring about the island, Tealon tries to keep track of everyone. When anyone waves to him or seems to disappear, he swoops ove to ensure they are ok. He also watches the ship occasionally and the horizon, using his folding scope when he sees anything, gliding in a circle like a bird.
Ioelenna Winterspire
 player, 101 posts
 Nyssa Winter Warwytch
 Adept/Warmage
Sun 23 Jun 2019
at 15:59
Re: In the Land of Zu
In reply to Tealon Holdron (msg # 496):

Ioelenna dives in and swims around looking for trouble.
GM StarMaster
 GM, 318 posts
Tue 2 Jul 2019
at 19:49
Re: In the Land of Zu
Between Tealon flying above and Jheridan and Korkas directing her from up on the rocks, Ioelenna soon finds the opening to what looks like a grotto.

Generally speaking, a grotto is a cave near the waterline that has access to it either completely or partially underwater. In this case, the opening looks like it might be completely underwater at high tide and perhaps half exposed at low tide.

At the moment, it is about half way exposed, and the tide is going out. From the water at least, she should be safe entering the cave.

Probably the only threat in the grotto might be from eels.

Swimming down below the surface, Ioelenna sees that the cave opening is rather narrow but vertically high. Her guess is that at low tide a boat could easily be rowed in there.

It's safer if she swims in underwater so that she can see what might be lurking there.

It only goes in about five feet before opening out into the cave proper. The cave is about 50 feet in diameter, with a five foot wide ledge along one side. It is rather well-lit due to the crevasse in the ceiling that goes up to daylight.

Once in the cave, she can now look up through the crevasse and see Jheridan and Korkas up above.

That's about when she spots the chest on the far end of the ledge, shoved in behind a rock.
Ioelenna Winterspire
 player, 102 posts
 Nyssa Winter Warwytch
 Adept/Warmage
Wed 3 Jul 2019
at 00:33
Re: In the Land of Zu
In reply to GM StarMaster (msg # 498):

Ioelenna swims back out not wanting to test the chest on her own. She swims to the ship.

" well at low tide we can row about or juts swim the 5 feet in there is a ledge on one side with a chest at the far end. "
Korkas
 player, 14 posts
 Trollkin Monk Bodyguard
 AC: 18 HP:39/39
Wed 3 Jul 2019
at 00:44
Re: In the Land of Zu
Korkas looks down to Ioelenna nodding "How high does it look like the tide goes? Can we get in there right now? Enough room to build a small outpost in there?" Korkas asked as he thought about what they were doing here as he began to move down towards the waters edge.
Katrin Eason
 player, 45 posts
 Caspian/Cygnar Rogue
 AC 19; HP 21/21
Wed 3 Jul 2019
at 01:18
Re: In the Land of Zu
Katrin realized that the cave had one been some sort of living area, probably for a hermit, or maybe some sort of lookout. She turns and faces outward to see what she can possibly see from this elevation. She can barely see the shore from this distance, but a ship or fleet of ships such as theirs would be visible. Seems unlikely.

Could the occupant be a shipwrecked sailor? Maybe he was in exile.

"Shall we venture inside, Morrison?" she asked her companion.

"It doesn't look like it's been used in a long time. I can't think of any monsters or creatures that might have taken it over."
Tealon Holdron
 player, 294 posts
 "Blaster"; ArcaneMechanik
 AC 14 (22); HP 24/24
Wed 3 Jul 2019
at 20:05
Re: In the Land of Zu
As Tealon circles overhead, he notices his companions disappearing underwater into the rocks, and along a possible trail vanishing into a cut in the hillside behind some rocks.  He continues circling, keeping watch and hoping to see more activity soon.

Then he spots Ioelenna in the water again heading to the ship.  Not wanting to miss out but also not wanting to be swooping down and back up, the winged scout remained high up for a good 10mins longer before heading to land on the upper rocks for a break.
Ioelenna Winterspire
 player, 103 posts
 Nyssa Winter Warwytch
 Adept/Warmage
Wed 3 Jul 2019
at 20:57
Re: In the Land of Zu
In reply to Tealon Holdron (msg # 502):

Seeing everyone headed her way she stops and treads water till they get to her and then swim with the group.
GM StarMaster
 GM, 319 posts
Fri 12 Jul 2019
at 18:32
Re: In the Land of Zu
Jheridan and Korkas managed to scramble down through the crevasse to the grotto.

This grotto is never fully submerged at high tide--the high water mark is clearly visible about a foot below the ledge.

If there's a storm surge, it might get higher, but it doesn't look like that's every happened.

The grotto isn't really large enough to be used as a base, but it could be a decent short term hideout.


Katrin enters the old cave cautiously but quickly realizes that their nothing inhabiting the caves any more and hasn't been in awhile. It's been a nesting spot for a lot of birds, though, none of which are there at the moment. Lots of bird droppings everywhere.

There are three separate caves. The main cave looks to have been formed naturally, but has been worked to some extent--carved out the two windows, enlarged the opening, and expanded the cave by flattening the floor and squaring the corners.

The second cave was probably natural, too, but a lot smaller, and it's been enlarged and a window carved out of the wall.

The third cave, the smallest of the three, is back behind the second one. It's not much bigger than a closet and looks like it was completely carved out by hand.
Katrin Eason
 player, 46 posts
 Caspian/Cygnar Rogue
 AC 19; HP 21/21
Tue 23 Jul 2019
at 03:37
Re: In the Land of Zu
"An interesting place," Katrin said to Morrison.

"Hard to defend. No other way out. I'm thinking either a shipwreck victim or else someone was exiled here."

"An observation post maybe..."

Tealon Holdron
 player, 295 posts
 "Blaster"; ArcaneMechanik
 AC 14 (22); HP 24/24
Wed 24 Jul 2019
at 21:39
Re: In the Land of Zu
After following the group and then losing them to the cave, Tealon circles above the island, watching the horizon, going as high as he feels safe with (above 200m/660ft above the top of the island), waits a short while, then descends gradually, feeling a little air sick.  Not wanting to get to that stage, he dives and lands on a flat area near where Katrin and Morrison had entered the hill.


He wasn't sure if his wings would get through the gap so stayed outside, on getting rested (about 5mins), Tealon took to the air once more, where he spots something in the water.  On closer inspection, sees it is Ioelenna heading to the ship, and heads that way also.
Korkas
 player, 16 posts
 Trollkin Monk Bodyguard
 AC: 18 HP:39/39
Wed 24 Jul 2019
at 22:35
Re: In the Land of Zu
Korkas looked to Jheridan speaking softly as he looked around "Decent hide out for a day or two. May make a good storage point too for goods or items we want to conceal."



OOC:

Are most of us more or less together? Or are we pretty separated? I forget what it was going to be? 

Ioelenna Winterspire
 player, 104 posts
 Nyssa Winter Warwytch
 Adept/Warmage
Wed 24 Jul 2019
at 22:41
Re: In the Land of Zu


Yes, I think we all came to the grotto.

GM StarMaster
 GM, 320 posts
Fri 2 Aug 2019
at 17:46
Re: In the Land of Zu
Jheridan and Korkas climbed down into and through the crevasse to the grotto while Ioelenna swam through the underwater opening into the grotto.


Katrin and Morrison were on the other end of the island, investigating a cave up near the top of the island.


Tealon was flying around overhead, attempting to keep an eye on both parties, as well as the landing party and the ship.

While the wings can be folded up to lay somewhat flat against his back, Tealon is still aware that they aren't quite adaptable enough to squeeze through tight spaces.


Meanwhile, back on the ship, the crew is working on setting up a base. There's a slight overhang of rock just to the left of where they landed. Danyka and Katrin are overseeing things.

The plan that is developed is to begin carving out a cave or two into the rock, carve out a channel/harbor so the ship can get closer, build a pier for the ship to dock at, and then to camouflage all of it.
Korkas
 player, 17 posts
 Trollkin Monk Bodyguard
 AC: 18 HP:39/39
Mon 5 Aug 2019
at 22:48
Re: In the Land of Zu
In reply to GM StarMaster (msg # 509):

Perfect thank you. So we have 3 groups:

Group 1: Jheridan, Korkas and Ioelenna checking this grotto

Group 2: Katrin & Morrison checking the other end of the island

Group 3: Back at ship.

Tealon is kind watching over all 3 as he can.



Korkas moves over to the chest and looks it over seeing if he can see an obvious traps before he reaches down to see if it opens.
Ioelenna Winterspire
 player, 105 posts
 Nyssa Winter Warwytch
 Adept/Warmage
Tue 6 Aug 2019
at 05:12
Re: In the Land of Zu
In reply to Korkas (msg # 510):

Ioelenna looks around the grotto.
Tealon Holdron
 player, 297 posts
 "Blaster"; ArcaneMechanik
 AC 14 (22); HP 24/24
Tue 6 Aug 2019
at 08:31
Re: In the Land of Zu
In reply to Korkas (msg # 510):

Over the next week, Tealon will land every so often for a rest, either on top of the highest point of the island or on the ship to give sit-reps and direct engineering projects.

Tealon will also encourage and help others to try out the other pairs of wings, helping them understand moving up/down, forward/sideways.  He will carry his spyglass with him on every flight.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:32, Tue 06 Aug.

GM StarMaster
 GM, 321 posts
Sat 10 Aug 2019
at 16:11
Re: In the Land of Zu
While at first glance, the chest looked like an ordinary wooden chest, Korkas' examination of it reveals that it is, in fact, a brass chest! That explains both why the chest hasn't succumbed to rot from the dampness and the coloration--tarnish.

It is uncertain how long such a chest could have rested here to get that much tarnish, but several years is a conservative guess.

That brings up an even more pressing question: who could have put it here?

There doesn't seem to be much sea trade in Zu, and the only ships you've seen have been fishing boats, none of which appeared particularly sea worthy. Then again, the sea around here has been pretty calm... some chop from the wind but not nearly as much as you've seen up north.

Korkas doesn't see anything that looks like a trap... certainly nothing obvious... but he does notice that there's no lock--neither inset nor hasp-and-loop for a padlock.

Noticing how tightly shut the lid is, Jheridan thinks it might be a puzzle chest, meaning it would require finding some place on it that moves, slides, rotates, etc. and then another part moves and another and another until the internal locking mechanism is freed.


When Tealon is back on the ship, Nicollo and Khuno both show interest in learning how to use the other wings.


Katrin and Morrison search the cave they found in more detail but don't turn up anything of interest. There aren't any signs that it was ever used. Usually something gets left behind, but not here. It's possible that the former occupant had very little belongings and considered them all to be his treasures, so that when he left, he took them all with him. It also means he kept the place fairly clean... never left debris and trash and whatnot litter the place. That sounds more like a woman.

The trail, such as it was, that led up to this cave does seem to go on a bit farther. Following it for another 20 feet when it ends reveals the loo--a rocky outcropping that a person could step behind (for modesty) and relieve himself over the edge.

It is only when you go back to the cave that you spot the ladder. An irregular jig in the trail provided a place where hand- and footholds were cut into the cliff going up. You can't see anything up on top of significance, but it would be an even better observation point. More apt to be useful and usable at night.
Tealon Holdron
 player, 298 posts
 "Blaster"; ArcaneMechanik
 AC 14 (22); HP 24/24
Sat 10 Aug 2019
at 22:49
Re: In the Land of Zu
In reply to GM StarMaster (msg # 513):

Tealon shows both Nicollo and Khuno how the wings work, then gives a quick demonstration from raised area to deck, repeats and then straps them both in.  The lessons may take a few days to get going, just as they did him, but he has time to show them now and if they jump off the ship, at least they won't get left behind when they land safely in the water.