A1 S1: Awakening Outside of Jakalla.   Posted by GM.Group: archive 0
GM
 GM, 24 posts
 All Seeing Eye
Sat 25 Jan 2014
at 15:49
A1 S1: Awakening Outside of Jakalla
As the feeling of an intense electric shock passed your senses cleared and you began to focus. Slowly you became aware of being in a boat and its surroundings. Your body feels strange and you are each wearing a loincloth made of linen with a regular pattern imprinted in it. Around your necks is a thong with a thumb size rectangular pendent. On each side of this pendent is a column of fancy script and at the bottom of each is an unique stamp pattern.

The morning sun beats down with a scorching heat. The foul smelling brown green water undulates under the boat. In the distance the wall of a city rises in colorful splendor. Domes and spires tower in the distance behind the mural painted wall.

Scattered before the city wall is a flotilla of various sized boats. Many of the boats moored together in clumps to form floating clan buildings. Many more single boats of all sizes are interspersed between these pseudo building. The boats fly pennants and are painted a multitude of colors but, the predominate color is blue.

Cargo boats weave through the tangle carrying goods to and from large merchant ships at anchor in the deeper water of the harbor. A discordant mixture of sounds permeates the air. Music, shouts, screams, clattering, whistling all in an ever moving stream.

The passenger boats all seem to originate and return to an area between a pair of towers covered in bright blue figures. These towers are at the middle of the wall, from where you are. Just to the right of this is a large tower with a weathered red dome. Far to the left, where the wall takes a sharp turn away, the murals have a ominous look and boat traffic leaves a wide berth around the docks thrust into the water. Far to the right the wall bends around the city and fades from sight.

The carvel-style boat that you are in is worn but sturdy. It has a single mast Lateen-rigged and a rowlock in the transom for the scull. The scull is attached by a long rope from the handle end to the deck. Currently the sail is furled. A fishing net is neatly folded on the left side of the boat with the well box down the middle and a few small covered baskets fastened along the right side.

Huruyan is gripping the scull with the fishing spear propped beside him. Kumahl is sitting on the well box in the shade of the sail.

Your boat is separated from the mass of other boats outside the city. Close to your boat you can smell the stench of rotting flesh. A short distance away is what looks like a bloated human corpse floating in the water.
It is drifting closer.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:34, Mon 27 Jan 2014.

Huruyan
 player, 9 posts
Wed 29 Jan 2014
at 00:21
Re: A1 S1: Awakening Outside of Jakalla
since I am already gripping the scull I will try to move the boat close enough to the body to pull it from the water. if the boat appears to be close enough to the body for it to be reached by hand I will do that but if it's to far then I will try to use the net, being careful to not loose the net.
GM
 GM, 34 posts
 All Seeing Eye
Wed 29 Jan 2014
at 12:43
Re: A1 S1: Awakening Outside of Jakalla
Huruyan maneuvered the boat until the body was along the port side of the boat. There was a slight bump felt through the boat at the impact.
As the body slid along the side there was a scratching sound. The scratching stopped when a dripping hand grasped the gunwale near Kumahl.
Kumahl
 player, 12 posts
Wed 29 Jan 2014
at 21:59
Re: A1 S1: Awakening Outside of Jakalla
Kumahl--a portly fellow with golden blonde hair and a genial expression--sat up abruptly.

"What in the nine pits is going ON here?" he thundered.

He looked around. "Huruyan, what is happening? I don't…I can't think…oh my!" The young man's fuddled train of thought is interrupted by the grasping hand, which Kumahl instinctively reaches out and grabs, trying to pull the person onto the boat to help them out of the water.
GM
 GM, 36 posts
 All Seeing Eye
Wed 29 Jan 2014
at 23:29
Re: A1 S1: Awakening Outside of Jakalla
With grasping of that hand, the putrid smell, the clammy feel, a memory stabilized for Kumahl. The children's tales came rushing back. Lord Thumis must have smiled.

This must be a Tsoggu! In parallel with this realization, a second hand appeared on the gunwale.
Huruyan
 player, 10 posts
Thu 30 Jan 2014
at 01:07
Re: A1 S1: Awakening Outside of Jakalla
Upon seeing the second hand I grab it and say to Kumahl, I don't have a clue, but maybe these guys in the water can help with that.
GM
 GM, 38 posts
 All Seeing Eye
Thu 30 Jan 2014
at 13:00
Re: A1 S1: Awakening Outside of Jakalla
For Huruyan / Kumahl / Opponent
GM drew the 3 cards: JS, BJ!, 7H using a deck of 54 cards.

Huruyan has made his move from the tiller to the side of the boat to grab the other hand.

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:03, Thu 30 Jan 2014.

Kumahl
 player, 14 posts
Thu 30 Jan 2014
at 15:01
Re: A1 S1: Awakening Outside of Jakalla
Kumahl's eyes go wide. "Aiii! It is an evil creature! A tsoggu! Don't look in its eyes, whatever you do! AGRAVAH BASH!"

These last words are almost an eruption from Kumahl, and the air seems to shimmer and pulse around his head. Likewise, the air around the head of the creature shimmers...

Its head probably explodes. Great timing for a Jack! Woohoo!

10:00, Today: Kumahl rolled 25 using 3d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 2,(6+6+1)13,(6+2)8. Damage w/Jack bonus.
09:54, Today: Kumahl rolled 5,11 using 1d8+2,1d6+2, rerolling max. 2-PP Bolt on Tsoggu w/Jack bonus.

GM
 GM, 39 posts
 All Seeing Eye
Thu 30 Jan 2014
at 19:10
Re: A1 S1: Awakening Outside of Jakalla
They hear a popping sound and then, the inhuman strength of the hands returning their grip ends.
Huruyan and Kumahl both feel the weight of what they are holding, and had been held by, go slack.
If they thought the putrid stench of the thing could not get stronger, they were wrong.
The gentle morning breeze slowly waifs away a stench strong enough to make eyes water.

A quick look around confirms that there are no more floating bodies nearby.
Kumahl
 player, 16 posts
Thu 30 Jan 2014
at 20:34
Re: A1 S1: Awakening Outside of Jakalla
GM:
If they thought the putrid stench of the thing could not get stronger, they were wrong.
The gentle morning breeze slowly waifs away a stench strong enough to make eyes water.

A quick look around confirms that there are no more floating bodies nearby.


Kumahl shrinks back and retches a bit. "Heavens, that is FOUL," he gags. He kicks at it, hoping that his friend will get the corpse off of the boat.
GM
 GM, 40 posts
 All Seeing Eye
Thu 30 Jan 2014
at 22:28
Re: A1 S1: Awakening Outside of Jakalla
At this point there is, and was, no corpse on the boat.
There were only hands grasping the sides trying to pull up into the boat.
If the hands are released, the body will return to the water.

Huruyan
 player, 11 posts
Thu 30 Jan 2014
at 22:45
Re: A1 S1: Awakening Outside of Jakalla
What in the world is giong on, Kumahl? You seemed to know what that was, but how? And what did you do to it? It didn't seem to be anything I know about, and you're right that is really nasty.
Kumahl
 player, 17 posts
Thu 30 Jan 2014
at 22:54
Re: A1 S1: Awakening Outside of Jakalla
Huruyan:
What in the world is giong on, Kumahl? You seemed to know what that was, but how? And what did you do to it? It didn't seem to be anything I know about, and you're right that is really nasty.


"I recall hearing of such things in stories," muttered Kumahl. "Come, let's row to shore before anything else comes."

He is obviously not eager to answer the question about what he did to the thing...
Huruyan
 player, 13 posts
 P-7 T-7 B-3 W-0
Thu 30 Jan 2014
at 22:58
Re: A1 S1: Awakening Outside of Jakalla
Getting to shore sounds like a wonderful thing to do. Huruyan is still curious but decides to leave it for now.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:57, Fri 31 Jan 2014.