A2 S3: From A Different Perspective.   Posted by GM.Group: archive 0
GM
 GM, 414 posts
 Past Future
Mon 26 Oct 2015
at 17:57
A2 S3: From A Different Perspective
The small stream feeding into one side in the distance had the tallest palm trees and a mix of other usual types. The marshy area where some of the water drained out had a few stunted trees that looked more like bushes. The rest of the shoreline varied but was thickly overgrown with palmetto scrub.

There was a opening in the palmetto scrub along the nearest lake shore edge and it looked like it had been widened by hacking off fronds that had stuck out.
Kumahl's hunter skill told him that the cutting had been done about a week ago.

The palmetto scrub along the shore was well rooted and would easily hold the weight of the door frame.

Through the opening was a short trail that lead to a small cleared area. There were human bones in a pile to one side and the burnt area from a fire.

Kamuhl also spotted some broken rods in the weeds that were of Hlyss make.

After this quick glance, Kamuhl hurried back into the water and through the sunken doorway.
Kumahl
 player, 256 posts
Mon 26 Oct 2015
at 18:38
A2 S3: From A Different Perspective
Emerging through the doorway and out to the  entryway to the shrine, Kumahl first checks on Huruyan and then removes the communication Helm. Handing the Helm to Khivasha, "Brother, we have some trouble on the other side of the doorway. Though this Helm, I will be able to inform you of any trouble should it arise."

Looking at the Hyls Doorway, Kumahl thinks for a moment, "Khivasha, does the shrine go any lower?"

Returning to the Doorway, Kumahl attaches ropes to the corners of the Doorway and returns to those on the steps. To the porters, he hands the four ropes. Pointing to the two holding the ropes to the top two corners, "When Brother Khivasha tells you, slowly lower the top of the Doorway." To the two porters holding the lower ends, "Each of you stand to the far end of the stairs. You stabilize the Doorway as it is lowered."

Double checking the communication Helm, Kumhal sends a couple of thoughts Khivasha's way to check how long he has before he needs to recast his spells.

"Everyone ready?"
Huruyan
 player, 226 posts
 P-7 T-7 B-3 W-0
 Exp. Pts: 2057
Mon 26 Oct 2015
at 22:42
A2 S3: From A Different Perspective
In reply to Kumahl (msg # 2):

"I think I'm ready."
Huruyan
 player, 227 posts
 P-7 T-7 B-3 W-0
 Exp. Pts: 2057
Mon 26 Oct 2015
at 22:49
A2 S3: From A Different Perspective
In reply to Huruyan (msg # 3):

"Kumahl, I feel better now, let me help you move the portal."
"Will she be coming back?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:19, Mon 26 Oct 2015.

GM
 GM, 415 posts
 Past Future
Mon 26 Oct 2015
at 23:28
A2 S3: From A Different Perspective
ESP:
The user can detect the thoughts of living beings in adjoining rooms.
It operates up to a distance of 20 feet. And lasts two turns.
It can be used three times a day.

Telepathy:
This makes it possible for a character to communicate telepathically with another character and for that character to reply.
It works over a distance of 240 feet.
It can be used once a day and lasts one turn.

Junior Priest Khivasha
Tue 27 Oct 2015
at 00:33
A2 S3: From A Different Perspective
"Huruyan the Chashkeri (Water Maiden) is dead. She will not be coming back to control your mind."

"You are lucky she didn't drown you like she did any other victims."
"Not many have returned from the watery lair of a Chashkeri."

Turning to Kumahl, "No, the shrine only has this one level."

After looking carefully at the helm that Kumahl handed him.
"Your's must be a special ritual known only to Thumis. My teachings don't require a physical object to focus on."
Kumahl
 player, 258 posts
Tue 27 Oct 2015
at 01:41
A2 S3: From A Different Perspective
Kumahl laughs a little, "It's only special in that people are less worried about spells cast on objects than themselves. I designed this," hefts the leather helmet, "Many years ago, before Huruyan and I ever came here."

Taking the Helm he puts it into one of the baskets the porters are standing near. "Change of plans, slightly. Now that Brother Huruyan is functional again."

Looking Huruyan over, "Brother, when you fall for a girl, you don't hold back, do you?" Kumahl tries to say this as serious as possible, but ends up laughing half way through his scolding of Huruyan.

"Brother porters, your task remains the same, except I will give the command should we need to change its position. Huruyan and I will go secure the doorway to a much higher location. Then we should see the water drain, pretty quickly. Brother Khivasha, when the water gets to where you can move through it with ease, begin securing the shrine."

Taking up 2 more 50 foot lengths of rope, Kumahl motions to Huruyan and they both head off through the Doorway.
Huruyan
 player, 228 posts
 P-7 T-7 B-3 W-0
 Exp. Pts: 2057
Tue 27 Oct 2015
at 12:30
A2 S3: From A Different Perspective
In reply to Kumahl (msg # 7):

"You don't understand what it was like, she was my entire world, nothing else mattered, nothing at all!" Huruyan started to follow Kumahl back into the water then stopped, "She was so beautiful." Huruyan stayed where he was looking off into nothing, "so pretty!"

This message was last edited by the player at 12:36, Tue 27 Oct 2015.

GM
 GM, 418 posts
 Past Future
Tue 27 Oct 2015
at 23:20
A2 S3: From A Different Perspective
Control of Self:
The user can control their own body, e.g. hold their breath indefinitely, stop their heartbeat, hold some object with an iron grip for a long period of time, enter into a trance, have total memory recall, seal their ears, etc.
They cannot perform actions impossible for a body, e.g. extend their arms twenty feet.
This spell can be broken, but only by very powerful magic or strength.
A person or being of nine or more hit dice can break the grip of a person using this spell.
This is usable twice a day.

GM
 GM, 419 posts
 Past Future
Tue 27 Oct 2015
at 23:26
A2 S3: From A Different Perspective
When Kumahl reaches the other side of the doorway he realizes that Huruyan is not with him.
He is still standing waist deep in the water on the stairs.

The dead body of the Chashkeri is draped on the stairs near Huruyan with its tail in the water.
Kumahl
 player, 260 posts
Wed 28 Oct 2015
at 12:59
A2 S3: From A Different Perspective
"We can talk about it afterwards. Then you can make all the clan females jealous as you swoon over the Chashkeri. But now, I need you to focus. Come, a task remains to be completed."

By this point in time, Kumahl has re- ascended the steps and taken Huruyan's arm to direct him below the water. If Kumahl is unable to get Huruyan to move then Kumahl will go on without him. Time is of the essence.
Huruyan
 player, 229 posts
 P-7 T-7 B-3 W-0
 Exp. Pts: 2057
Wed 28 Oct 2015
at 13:12
A2 S3: From A Different Perspective
In reply to Kumahl (msg # 11):

Suddenly Huruyan started singing, "She's so pretty, she's so pretty..." then goes back to staring off into nothing.
Kumahl
 player, 261 posts
Wed 28 Oct 2015
at 15:18
A2 S3: From A Different Perspective
Kumahl leaves Huruyan with the mermaid and heads through the doorway. Carefully surveying the area around the lake once again, Kumahl does not like interruptions while he works.

Assured that the area is secure, Kumahl will return to the shallow lake and begin securing the ropes to the corners of the Doorway. When the corners are secured, Kumahl takes the remaining ends of ropes and begins securing them to the tallest  tress. He then begins slowly pulling the Doorway from the lake.

When the top of the Doorway begins to crest the surface of the lake, Kumahl slows his process to make sure that the water from the shrine is emptying into the lake. Kumahl continues to pull up and secure the excess ropes as the Doorway emerges from the lake. Kumahl makes sure that the Doorway is secured at least a foot above the ground.
GM
 GM, 420 posts
 Past Future
Wed 28 Oct 2015
at 17:18
A2 S3: From A Different Perspective
Kumahl's plan worked smoothly and soon water was pouring out of the doorframe as he pulled it out of the lake.

The noise of the water masked all other nearby sounds.

Inside the shrine the water level slowly lowered until the top of the doorway was visible.

Kumahl could see the lanterns from his party through the top of the doorway as the water level went down.
Kumahl
 player, 262 posts
Wed 28 Oct 2015
at 21:15
A2 S3: From A Different Perspective
Kumahl stops with the Doorway partly extracted from the lake and ties it off. Then turns to check on his surroundings again.

When he is confident that he will not be interrupted, he proceeds to finish the Doorway extraction.
GM
 GM, 422 posts
 Past Future
Thu 29 Oct 2015
at 11:57
A2 S3: From A Different Perspective
Kumahl noticed a shadow slide from the land out onto the water, out of the edge of his glass face plate.

Quickly glancing up he saw the shadow was being cast by a huge spongy, khaki-coloured, shapeless bag drifting towards him.
The bag had a whip-like central tentacle the thickness of a man's body and numerous smaller ones dangling from the misshapen body.
(It looked like a huge cancerous jellyfish in the air.)

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:52, Thu 29 Oct 2015.

Kumahl
 player, 264 posts
Thu 29 Oct 2015
at 13:57
A2 S3: From A Different Perspective
Kumahl, uncertain of what has drawn this new creatures attention, decides to finish the commission. Grabbing the ropes, he hauls the Doorway clear of the lake. Securing it firmly to the palm trees, he checks on the floating sack of tentacles.

If he can manage it. He will attempt to make it back through the Doorway to the other group members.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:43, Fri 30 Oct 2015.

GM
 GM, 427 posts
 Past Future
Fri 30 Oct 2015
at 23:36
A2 S3: From A Different Perspective
The central tentacle looked like an elephant trunk as it sprayed Kumahl with a plume of greenish brown gas.
For a moment it was hard to see through the faceplate of the Helm the gas was so thick.

Around Kumahl the plants withered where the gas touched them.

Glancing around Kumahl noticed that the float he was breathing out of was just outside of the plume, pushed there by the outpouring water from the Doorway.

The plume was slowly rising but tendrils of it were being sucked into the Doorway as air replaced the water in the shrine.

Pulling the float towards the Doorway would bring it within the plume radius if the creature blasted forth another.
Kumahl
 player, 266 posts
Sat 31 Oct 2015
at 15:36
A2 S3: From A Different Perspective
Kumahl judges distance and space, to see if he can remain low enough to get to the float. He will attempt to get to the float without being detected. Always one to be grateful, he thanks Thurmis for the Helm and suit he is wearing.
GM
 GM, 429 posts
 Past Future
Sat 31 Oct 2015
at 17:14
A2 S3: From A Different Perspective
Kumahl plunged quickly into the lake and was effectively hidden from the Teqeqmu (Flying Fungoid Creature).

With no "food" remaining in the area, Kumahl saw it drift away over the marshy side of the lake.

The rest of the party smelled nasty throat burning fumes for a time but besides from coughing were unharmed.

They also saw daylight shining through the open Doorway as the shrine slowly drained the last of the standing water.
Kumahl
 player, 268 posts
Sat 31 Oct 2015
at 23:01
A2 S3: From A Different Perspective
Kumahl keeps an eye on the Teqeqmu to make sure it is out of distance as he prepares to make the final efforts to secure the doorway.

Quickly, Kumahl heads back to the spot with the broken Hlyss rods and begin collecting them. He takes them and places them on the other side of the Doorway. When he has gathered all that he can find, he steps back through the Doorway, carefully pulling hos float through the Doorway with him.
GM
 GM, 432 posts
 Past Future
Sun 1 Nov 2015
at 13:08
A2 S3: From A Different Perspective
Kumahl passed back through the Doorway into ankle deep water that was still slowly draining out.
After stepping over the pile of various length rods and a mound of breathing hose he saw one slave with a lantern,
a guard, the porters and Huruyan clustered around the stairs near the room entrance.
The body of the Chashkeri is still draped on the stairs.

Looking down the Chamber of the Assembled Host, Kumahl saw Junior Priest Khivasha and the other guard
standing behind a large statue of Chegarra on a milti-stepped dais in the main shrine.