A3 S1: To Gather Again.   Posted by GM.Group: archive 0
Huruyan
 player, 282 posts
 P-7 T-7 B-3 W-0
 Exp. Pts: 2057
Wed 16 Dec 2015
at 11:49
A3 S1: To Gather Again
In reply to Huntsman Chodo (msg # 94):

"Greetings Huntsman Chodo, I agree so lead on."
Kumahl
 player, 324 posts
Wed 16 Dec 2015
at 17:00
A3 S1: To Gather Again
Kumahl just nods, observing directions and places as they move through the streets of Jakall.
Huruyan
 player, 283 posts
 P-7 T-7 B-3 W-0
 Exp. Pts: 2057
Wed 16 Dec 2015
at 17:28
A3 S1: To Gather Again
In reply to Kumahl (msg # 96):

Once they were underway Huruyan starts a private conversation with Chodo. "Pardon if I am overstepping the bounds of friendship, but has something happened to you recently?"
Huntsman Chodo
Wed 16 Dec 2015
at 18:28
A3 S1: To Gather Again
After a pause, "Something happen? No, everything is just fine."
"Why do you ask?"

The porter has his lips tightly press together.
Maybe it is in concentration for balancing his load in the shifting crowd.
Kumahl
 player, 325 posts
Wed 16 Dec 2015
at 20:13
A3 S1: To Gather Again
"Brother Chodo, let us spread your porter's load amongst the other four porters."

Looking for a break in the crowd and an open location, Kumahl signals the guards to form a wall against the moving crowds while Kumahl readjusts the weight amongst the porters. Checking to make sure everyone is hydrated, fed, and feet are in good condition, Kumahl signals the guards to clear an opening in the crowd, and the party with guards and porters resumes its trek.
Huruyan
 player, 284 posts
 P-7 T-7 B-3 W-0
 Exp. Pts: 2057
Thu 17 Dec 2015
at 01:26
A3 S1: To Gather Again
In reply to Kumahl (msg # 99):

"Oh, nothing specific, you just seem different."
GM
 GM, 484 posts
 Past Future
Thu 17 Dec 2015
at 13:24
A3 S1: To Gather Again
The gate guards pass everyone through into the better part of the city and the crowding is reduced.
While there are less pressing bodies, the passing entourages of the nobles provide as much delay.

Upon reaching the east side you passed by the enormous Hirilakte Arena on the right and out the Gate of the Changing Fortunes.

Here the traffic was a majority of merchant caravans and the smell of chlen beasts hauling carts was strong.

Once through the massive gates the City of the Dead is off in the distance on the right and the river landing is a head to the left.

The crowd of people queued up to take a ferry across to the sakbe road on the other side of the river is an eclectic mix of people.
Those waiting are arrayed in line by status with a high noble filling a couple entire ferry barges by themselves.
GM
 GM, 486 posts
 Past Future
Sat 19 Dec 2015
at 01:46
A3 S1: To Gather Again
The mighty Missuma River is already crowded with the traffic of trade.
Stretching in both directions along the river are piers and warehouses, pens and derricks.
A steady stream of goods are being loaded and unloaded.

Far across the river the beginning of a Sakbe Road looms at the edge of the river.
On that side the barge traffic was almost as busy as trade caravans came down from the road and portaged across the river.

Huntsman Chodo says that with a few coins in the right hands, your party can move ahead of the line.
The more gold, the sooner the crossing can be made.
Kumahl
 player, 326 posts
Sat 19 Dec 2015
at 04:19
A3 S1: To Gather Again
"Chodo, figure we start out at 10 gold and go up from there?"

Looking to Chodo, "Are you sure everything is all right?"
Huruyan
 player, 285 posts
 P-7 T-7 B-3 W-0
 Exp. Pts: 2057
Sun 20 Dec 2015
at 14:05
A3 S1: To Gather Again
In reply to Kumahl (msg # 103):

"What do you think, Chodo? I'm sure you have done this before, should we offer a bribe and if so how much?"
Huntsman Chodo
Sun 20 Dec 2015
at 21:49
A3 S1: To Gather Again
"Yes, Craftsman Kumahl, ten katairs should get us ahead of the normal daily business folk."
"A hundred will get us among the nobles, a close landing on the other side and word sent ahead to prepare refreshments for our arrival."

"Unfortunately, part of why this hunting expedition was such a sudden decision is that I am a little short of funds."
Huruyan
 player, 286 posts
 P-7 T-7 B-3 W-0
 Exp. Pts: 2057
Sun 20 Dec 2015
at 22:06
A3 S1: To Gather Again
In reply to Huntsman Chodo (msg # 105):

"That is not a problem, Chodo. We can offer the 10 katairs for the group." Matching actions to words Huruyan motioned the group follow him to the nearest guard and made his offer.
GM
 GM, 487 posts
 Past Future
Tue 22 Dec 2015
at 03:39
A3 S1: To Gather Again
Huntsman Huruyan talked to the ferry clan's guard about how traffic has been and who of note has passed this way in the last week. Soon the topic turned to how long it takes to cross and how many can go at a time. Some gold coins later and their small party squeezed aboard the next ferry.

The crossing was uneventful and soon the ferry was bumping against the pier on the other side.
The start of the massive Sakbe Road stretched as far as the eye could see into the distance.
The road tower on this end merged into the docking area and warehouses to resemble a rambling citadel.

Guards in imperial blue were in abundance as foot and chlen traffic moved to and from the area.

The massive wall road reared up in three layers on this side with a narrow top just a few paces wide above a level that was just wide enough for two palanquins to pass each other.
The third and bottom layer was wide enough for two chlen drawn carts to pass each other.

The only way from one level to another was through ramps in the guard tower.

The bottom most level was well used with merchants and their goods coming and going.

In the distance a palanquin with it accompanying retainers could just be seen on the second level.
The top level was deserted at this time.
Huntsman Chodo
Tue 22 Dec 2015
at 13:19
A3 S1: To Gather Again
"Unless you want to convince the guards that we need to use the middle level, we need to form up and join whoever is going our way there on the lower."
Kumahl
 player, 327 posts
Tue 22 Dec 2015
at 15:26
A3 S1: To Gather Again
Kumahl chuckles and pats his coin purse and threatens with his staff, "Which kind of convincing will it be then."
Huruyan
 player, 287 posts
 P-7 T-7 B-3 W-0
 Exp. Pts: 2057
Tue 22 Dec 2015
at 18:06
A3 S1: To Gather Again
In reply to Kumahl (msg # 109):

"Since we are walking, will it matter which level we are on?"
Huntsman Chodo
Tue 22 Dec 2015
at 18:22
A3 S1: To Gather Again
Eyes widening at Kumahl's shaking of his staff, "It would be very unwise to threaten any Imperial."
"Guard or otherwise."
"That is a quick way to get a High Ride on the impalement stake."

Looking askance at Huruyan, "It always matters what level you are on."

Continuing, "I for one do not like stepping in the droppings of chlen and would like to hire a palanquin, so the bearers would be the ones with the dirty feet."

"However, I don't want to impose on you to convince the guards that we deserve better treatment than servants and beasts, or pay for palanquin service."
Huruyan
 player, 288 posts
 P-7 T-7 B-3 W-0
 Exp. Pts: 2057
Wed 23 Dec 2015
at 02:29
A3 S1: To Gather Again
In reply to Huntsman Chodo (msg # 111):

"Let's see what it takes to convince the guards to let us use the second level. And, no NOT with weapons."
GM
 GM, 488 posts
 Past Future
Sat 26 Dec 2015
at 17:03
A3 S1: To Gather Again
Huruyan had a discussion with one of the tower guards and quickly determines that unless he was twice his current station in life, or was the direct representative of someone who was, he and his party would not be granted access to the middle road at most any price.

Only someone on urgent Imperial business was allowed access to the upper most roadway.

Soon the party was on its way and settled into a pace that ate up the miles while not dirtying their feet.

Around the middle of the day the party rested at a road tower and were offered fresh local meat and vegetables from vendors that lived around the foot of the tower ramp.
The prices were high but everything was fresh.

Huntsman Chodo didn't get anything and just shared some of his plain rations with his servant.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:46, Mon 28 Dec 2015.

GM
 GM, 489 posts
 Past Future
Mon 28 Dec 2015
at 01:56
A3 S1: To Gather Again
On towards evening Huntsman Chodo started frequently resting.
While he was stopped, he spent time to relieve himself from the wall down into the brush below.

When questioned he said he was looking for landmarks but didn't want to attract attention.

The frequent stops and slowing pace let the various merchant parties pull away until they were barely visible ahead or behind.
Huntsman Chodo
Mon 28 Dec 2015
at 02:00
A3 S1: To Gather Again
"This is the place," stated Chodo.

"That purple patch of Food of the Shu was a little smaller but the trees are in the same place."

"Servant Darakdakin, hand me the rope with the hook."
Kumahl
 player, 328 posts
Wed 30 Dec 2015
at 20:50
A3 S1: To Gather Again
"Will we be leaving the rope in place or can we scale the wall to climb back up here?"

Kumahl starts analyzing the angles and what he can of the rock face, everything he can possibly do to understand the terrain.
GM
 GM, 490 posts
 Past Future
Thu 31 Dec 2015
at 01:09
A3 S1: To Gather Again
The wall of the Sakbe Road rises 10 feet above the soil below.
This side of the road is stone fitted together in a sturdy but rough fashion.
The ground below is heavily overgrown with brush and palmettos with a slight trace of years of using it as an infrequent toilet and dump.

Huntsman Chodo thinks that it would not be hard to scale the wall with empty hands but with the baskets it would be far easier to use a rope.
Kumahl
 player, 329 posts
Thu 31 Dec 2015
at 05:37
A3 S1: To Gather Again
"I follow you and then Huruyan. Let us make sure we can secure everything for the decent."

Turning to the four guards, "Bring up the rear please."
Huruyan
 player, 289 posts
 P-7 T-7 B-3 W-0
 Exp. Pts: 2057
Thu 31 Dec 2015
at 09:51
A3 S1: To Gather Again
In reply to Kumahl (msg # 118):

Tying the baskets one at a time in succession, they were easily lowered to the ground. Everyone, except Huruyan then climbed down using the rope. When everyone else was safely down, Huruyan tossed down the rope and very carefully climbed down himself, nodded to Chodo and said, "Lead on."

This message was last edited by the player at 10:07, Thu 31 Dec 2015.