A4 S2: Into the Dark.   Posted by GM.Group: 0
GM
 GM, 637 posts
 Past Future
Sat 2 Jul 2016
at 14:33
A4 S2: Into the Dark
The servants, porters, and Lord Seer Epengar followed Kumahl down the stairs to the bottom platform.
Carefully avoiding the marked stair-step they bunched up at the water's edge.

Across the darkness, the light from the single lantern reflected from many sets of eyes.
They were 50 to 60 feet away at a couple of openings to the northeast on the other side of the cavern.
The landing jutted into the water but didn't reach the walkway or several irregular platforms that rose to the water's surface.
The walkway was about ten feet away and the platforms between the walkway and the hallway opening were about five feet apart.

The sibilant whispering of Qol could be heard from the direction of the glinting eyes.
The walkway extended unbroken to the side of the chamber where the Qol lurked.
It entered the chamber wall in a ten foot wide opening.
The second opening to the right was five foot wide and at the water's edge.

Directly ahead to the east was another wide opening that went direct to the south as far as could be determined.
It did not connect to the walkway and there was about a ten foot water gap to reach it.
There were no eyes there or if there were, they were hidden from the light.

To the north was another ten foot wide opening with a tan tiled floor but no eyes.

At the bottom of the stairs, the second lantern cast shadows from the crowd onto the chamber's walls and high ceiling.

At the top of the stairs, with Huruyan, the remaining lantern lit the way down.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:10, Tue 12 July 2016.

Kumahl
 player, 450 posts
Sat 2 Jul 2016
at 16:16
A4 S2: Into the Dark
"Lord Seer, keep your eyes on the Qol but do not threaten them. We do not have the forces to combat two different attacks."

"Brother, veil the lanterns and uncover them once we know we have secured a few Hlyss at the bottom."

Kumahl grabs some rope from the porters about 6 feet worth and cuts the section off. Taking his empty water skins, he fills them half full and ties them off. Securing the rope ends to two separate waterskins, Kumahl makes a crude attempt at larger bolas. He should have enough waterskins to make three such devices.

Kumahl places himself near the ramp in front of Lord Seer and the non-combatants.
Huruyan
 player, 399 posts
 P-7 T-7 B-3 W-0
 Exp. Pts: 2057
Sat 2 Jul 2016
at 18:11
A4 S2: Into the Dark
In reply to Kumahl (msg # 2):

With the others safely down, Huruyan quickly joins them. "Kumahl, we need to get the non combatants across the water to one of the openings. I would suggest one with no apparent Qol lurking nearby. Then we set up and wait for the Hylss to come. Is there a spare mace I could use?" this last to the other fighters.
GM
 GM, 639 posts
 Past Future
Sat 2 Jul 2016
at 19:56
A4 S2: Into the Dark
Everyone waited in the dark for an extended time.
The nervous whispers of the servants and porters got more numerous as time went on.

Huruyan clutched the mace passed to him by one of the Lord Captain's men and even after his eyes adjusted to the dimness, saw nothing but the light from the afternoon sun up the stairs.

Behind them the Qol hisses had diminished and an occasional series of running footsteps could be heard.
Sometimes the sound was of someone arriving with an accompanied increase in whispers.
Other times it was the sound of someone running away that echoed across the chamber.

Kumahl had all three of his ad-hoc bolos completed and ready at hand as time went by.
Lord Seer Epengar
Sat 2 Jul 2016
at 19:59
A4 S2: Into the Dark
"What will we do if they don't come in after us?"

"Can we find the dowry and make a run for the Sakbe road in the night?"

"Do you think they will be guarding the outside?"
Kumahl
 player, 452 posts
Mon 4 Jul 2016
at 02:11
A4 S2: Into the Dark
"Lord Seer, have you anyway to track the dowry?"

Taking a length of rope from their supplies, he hands one end to the porters. "Hold onto this. When you have ten feet left," he makes a secure knot at the ten foot mark, "Yank hard on the line until you feel an even harder yank come back."

Kumahl then rumages for a bowl or a small shield amongst the gear and straps it to the backside of one of the covered lanterns. He then secures the rope around his waist and chest. Removing the cover from his lantern, he looks to the porters, "If the line ever goes slack, starting pulling in the line with all your might."

"Brother watch by the water's edge, I will find us a way out."
Huruyan
 player, 400 posts
 P-7 T-7 B-3 W-0
 Exp. Pts: 2057
Mon 4 Jul 2016
at 12:36
A4 S2: Into the Dark
In reply to Kumahl (msg # 6):

"Good hunting, Kumahl."