Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick.   Posted by The Runelord.Group: 0
The Runelord
 GM, 1952 posts
 Mysteries
 must be solved...
Wed 5 Jun 2019
at 02:42
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
Dorella starts smiling stupidly and swaying again as 'Bella begins her happy dance. Hookjaw just roars, annoyed.

Dorella fails her Smarts check; Hookjaw makes his with a Raise. Dorella is Shaken.

Aradhel is up!

NPC Status:
Tree Golem Shaken
Hookmaw  Parry: 7 Toughness: 11 (1) Wounds: none  Bennies: 2
Dorella  SHAKEN, Parry: 6 Toughness: 13 (3) Wounds: none Power Points: 10 used, Bennies: 1

Map: https://docs.google.com/drawin...S6M/edit?usp=sharing

Aradhel
 player, 841 posts
 Warrior in Exile
 P:8 T:8(3) W: 0 B: 4
Wed 5 Jun 2019
at 23:24
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
Aradhel cursed the giant's ability to recover.  This wasn't working.  She needed an opening.

Then she saw one.  The ogre had overextended his swing, trying to cut through Jereth's potent defenses with raw power.  It wasn't much of an opening, but he left the joints of his arm open for an opportunistic slash.

Or two, if one was so inclined to battle with both hands as she was.

18:18, Today: Aradhel rolled 5,6 using d12+1,d6+1, rerolling max with rolls of 4,5.  Fighting - Right Hand.

Nope - Oh but wait, I forgot, Jereth is another +1 because of Gang Up Bonus, so that's a 7, that's a hit!

18:19, Today: Aradhel rolled 20,3 using d12,d6, rerolling max with rolls of (12+8)20,3.  Fighting - Left Hand.  Hit with a Raise!

11 damage - Yeah Baby Woo!  18:21, Today: Aradhel rolled 4,7 using d8+1,d8, rerolling max with rolls of 3,7.  Damage - Right Hand.

14 damage - Woohoo yeah I'll take it - 18:22, Today: Aradhel rolled 2,5,7 using d8,d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,5,(6+1)7.  Damage - Left Hand.

Won't kill him but he'll have to deal with it!

The Runelord
 GM, 1953 posts
 Mysteries
 must be solved...
Thu 6 Jun 2019
at 17:27
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
Hookmaw takes the blows from Aradhel's blade but rolls with them, leaving only beads of bloody mark on his thick hide.

Hookmaw spends a Benny and Soaks, which leaves him un-Shaken as well.

New round! Aradhel gets the BLACK JOKER, giving her +2 to all rolls (including Damage rolls) and she can go first if she wants.

Aradhel is up!

10:26, Today: The Runelord drew the 6 cards: BJ!, 2C, 3C, 5H, 8C, AD using a deck of 54 cards.  Aradhel, Bella, Jereth, Tanlis, Dorella, Hookmaw.

NPC Status:
Tree Golem Shaken
Hookmaw  Parry: 7 Toughness: 11 (1) Wounds: none  Bennies: 1
Dorella Parry: 6 Toughness: 13 (3) Wounds: none Power Points: 10 used, Bennies: 1

Map: https://docs.google.com/drawin...S6M/edit?usp=sharing

Aradhel
 player, 842 posts
 Warrior in Exile
 P:8 T:8(3) W: 0 B: 3
Thu 6 Jun 2019
at 22:22
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
Sometimes in the midst of a fight, an opponent would make a mistake unwittingly, and a wary and alert warrior could capitalize on it.  The ogre had shifted to roll with her thrusts, but unwittingly he turned himself while doing so.

She turned her swords into the less defensible but more powerful reverse grip.  With a loud guttural cry Aradhel leapt up onto her opponent, burying each blade into his body like a pair of climbing axes until she reached his neck, which she cut into savagely.

Right Hand
+1 to hit from the sword
+1 to hit from Gang Up with Jereth
+2 to hit from Wild Attack
+2 to hit from the Joker
-4 to hit from the called shot to head/vitals

Total modifiers +2

17:12, Today: Aradhel rolled 11,7 using d12+2,d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 9,5.  Fighting - Right Hand, WA, Gang Up, Joker, Called Shot.

Hit with a Raise

d8 Strength
d8+1 Sword
d6 Raise
+2 Wild Attack Damage
+2 Joker Damage
+4 Called shot to head/vitals damage
2d8+9+d6 damage

22 damage - 17:14, Today: Aradhel rolled 19,3 using 2d8+9,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,6,3.  Damage - Strength with WA, Sword, Raise, Called Shot.

Left Hand
Right Hand
+1 to hit from Gang Up with Jereth
+2 to hit from Wild Attack
+2 to hit from the Joker
-4 to hit from the called shot to head/vitals

Total modifiers +1

17:16, Today: Aradhel rolled 2,4 using d12+1,d6+1, rerolling max with rolls of 1,3.  Fighting - Left Hand, WA, Gang Up, Joker, Called Shot.

Benny!

17:16, Today: Aradhel rolled 11,8 using d12+1,d6+1, rerolling max with rolls of 10,(6+1)7.  benny.

Hit with a Raise

d8 Strength
d8 Sword
d6 Raise
+2 Wild Attack Damage
+2 Joker Damage
+4 Called shot to head/vitals damage
2d8+8+d6 damage

20 damage - 17:18, Today: Aradhel rolled 18,2 using 2d8+8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5,5,2.  Damage - Strength with WA, Sword, Raise, Called Shot.

The Runelord
 GM, 1954 posts
 Mysteries
 must be solved...
Fri 7 Jun 2019
at 00:10
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
Aradhel's vicious blows actually draw blood from the resilient ogre; he staggers back in pain!!

Meanwhile, Dorella manages to shake off her fascination with the dancing 'Bella, but not in time to do anything.

Hookmaw Soaks the first hit from Aradhel, soaking both wounds with a Raise. That burns his last Benny, though; he takes the full brunt of the second hit, taking 2 Wounds. On his turn, which is next, he fails to un-Shake.

Dorella, who is next, successfully un-Shakes.

Jereth, 'Bella and Tanlis are up!

NPC Status:
Tree Golem Shaken
Hookmaw  Shaken, Parry: 7 Toughness: 11 (1) Wounds: 2  Bennies: 1
Dorella Parry: 6 Toughness: 13 (3) Wounds: none Power Points: 10 used, Bennies: 1

Map: https://docs.google.com/drawin...S6M/edit?usp=sharing

Jereth
 player, 568 posts
 Valiant Guardsman
 P:8(1) T:13(6) W:0 B:1
Fri 7 Jun 2019
at 02:49
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
Jereth kept his shield up, trying to keep moving and deflecting the powerful swings of the big ogre.  Even a glancing hit had sent him reeling back, but the guardsman stayed his ground.  He felt like a hound trying to bring down a bear.  Keep darting in...keep stinging....  And have a pack.  The ogre reeled up from Aradhel's mountaineering assault and Jereth charged in low.  Knees bent, he set his body behind the swordpoint and drove the point up into the ogre's gut with his whole body...

Wild Attack on Hookmaw - 8 to Hit (+1 Gangup, +1 Sword, +2 Wild), 22 Damage

-2 Parry

22:42, Today: Jereth rolled 22 using 2d8+3, rerolling max with rolls of (8+7)15,4.  Wild Longsword Damage on Hookmaw!
22:41, Today: Jereth rolled 8,8 using d10+4,d6+4, rerolling max with rolls of 4,4.  Wild Longsword on Hookmaw!

Tanlis Half-elven
 player, 243 posts
 P-4(5), T-6(7)
 B-1, W-0, PP-20/3
Fri 7 Jun 2019
at 14:55
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
Tanlis sends flashing sparks into Dorella's eyes, while the tree golem rouses from its stupor.

OOC: Tanlis tries to cast a spell on Dorella, trying to trick her.

10:52, Today: Tanlis Half-elven rolled 7,3 using 1d10,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 7,3.  Tanlis casting elemental manipulation(trick) on Dorella.

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:01, Fri 07 June.

Silvijabella
 player, 154 posts
 Elf Gypsy
 P5/6 T5 C2/6 W0 F0 B1
Fri 7 Jun 2019
at 17:40
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
Silvijabella elected to see what became of Tanlis' attempt to bedazzle the Ogress before committing to an action, give how drained she was at the moment and the likelihood that someone would need wounds tended after the battle.  The Elf maid continued a lively dance with blades drawn and watched for an opportunity to distract or interrupt the creature should the need arise.

(Going on Hold, as about out of Bennies and Power and not sure I can penetrate Dorella's physical defenses.  I'll go ahead and make the Agility check to Interrupt just in case.
13:38, Today: Silvijabella rolled 1,4 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1,4.  Potential interrupting action if needed (Dorella) Agility roll.  So TN is a 4 to keep from being interrupted if needed.)

The Runelord
 GM, 1955 posts
 Mysteries
 must be solved...
Fri 7 Jun 2019
at 19:07
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
The sheer force of Jereth's blow lifts the massive oger ever-so-slightly from the ground. The metal jaw on the ogre goes listless and, as Jereth pulls out his blade, he kicks at the ogre's body, sending it flying backward into a wall where the metal-jawed monstrosity falls.

Dorella screams once at the death of her companion, but then screams again when fire burns her eyes for a moment! She shakes her head, clearing it quickly an lets out a blood-curdling scream!!

Hookmaw is dead. Dorella fails the Smarts check and is Shaken. She wins initiative this next round and un-Shakes.

'Bella is on Hold and can act at any time. Aradhel, Jereth and Tanlis are also all up.

NPC Status:
Dorella Parry: 6 Toughness: 13 (3) Wounds: none Power Points: 10 used, Bennies: 1

Map: https://docs.google.com/drawin...S6M/edit?usp=sharing

Silvijabella
 player, 156 posts
 Elf Gypsy
 P5/6 T5 C2/6 W0 F0 B1
Fri 7 Jun 2019
at 20:01
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
Hoping to give the more capable fighters an opening in melee, 'Bella let loose with one of her stars, bouncing it off the curved wall behind the Ogress in an attempt to strike her flank, or at least get her watching the spinning blade in flight rather than those standing by her slain companion.

(Throwing for Smarts Trick to distract?
15:46, Today: Silvijabella rolled 5,6 using d6+1,d6+1, rerolling max with rolls of 4,5.  Throwing vs Smarts Trick.  6 total, presuming the blade is ricocheting back past Dorella?)

Jereth
 player, 569 posts
 Valiant Guardsman
 P:8(1) T:13(6) W:0 B:1
Mon 10 Jun 2019
at 16:35
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick

Jereth recovered his footing after kicking himself away from the falling ogre.  His sword dragged free as he went.  Whipping it once around to reset it to the high guard, he turned to charge at the spellcasting ogress.  The longsword swept down and back up in a wide slashing arc...

Wild Attack - 23 to Hit, 17 Damage

Parry remains reduced to 6

12:30, Today: Jereth rolled 17 using 2d8+3+d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,3,(6+1)7.  Damage!
12:30, Today: Jereth rolled 23,4 using d10+2,d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of (10+10+1)21,2.  Charge Dorella!

Aradhel
 player, 843 posts
 Warrior in Exile
 P:8 T:8(3) W: 0 B: 3
Tue 11 Jun 2019
at 00:32
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
"<Well done!>"  Aradhel cried out in Elven, not realizing she was in the wrong language.  Jereth's stroke was masterful, the ogre could either try to concentrate on defense and possibly survive (not guaranteed from a blow like that), or it could leave its flanks completely unprotected.

She reversed to the front grip and ran.  She did not try her mountaineering here, she simply lunged, almost jumping.  Cutting the neck arteries seemed to work well, though it left you in an awkward stance.  But they had the monster on the ropes, now was the time to press.

Moved mini - accidentally scooted Jereth a wee bit, but I put him back =D

+1 Gang Up
+2 Wild Attack
+1 from the Sword
-4 Called Shot (Vitals)

Nets to zero

19:23, Today: Aradhel rolled 7,1 using d12,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 7,1.  Fighting - Right Hand, WA, Gang Up, Called Shot.

That's a hit!

d8+1 sword
d8 Strength
+2 Wild Attack
+4 Called Shot
d8+7,d8 damage total

18 damage - 19:25, Today: Aradhel rolled 14,4 using d8+7,d8, rerolling max with rolls of 7,4.  Damage - Right Hand.

Left Hand

+1 Gang Up
+2 Wild Attack
-4 Called Shot (Vitals)

Nets to -1 penalty - slight edit - roll was correct my post was not this is at a -1

19:26, Today: Aradhel rolled 9,2 using d12-1,d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 10,3.  Fighting - Left Hand.

That's a hit!

d8 sword
d8 Strength
+2 Wild Attack
+4 Called Shot
d8+6,d8 damage total

14 damage - 19:26, Today: Aradhel rolled 10,4 using d8+6,d8, rerolling max with rolls of 4,4.  Damage - Left Hand.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:33, Tue 11 June.

Tanlis Half-elven
 player, 244 posts
 P-4(5), T-6(7)
 B-1, W-0, PP-20/3
Tue 11 Jun 2019
at 14:18
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
In reply to The Runelord (msg # 746):

Tanlis moves in, not really very threatening with his staff. However, his tree golem lumbers over and tries to bash the remaining ogre who is now badly outnumbered...

(OOC: Tanlis moves in and goes on full defense. Tree golem moves in and attacks, getting more of a gang up mod on its wild attack. Damage 33.

10:16, Today: Tanlis Half-elven rolled 12,14,7 using 1d12+5,1d6,1d8, rerolling max with rolls of 7,(6+6+2)14,7.  Wild attack damage plus raise.

10:15, Today: Tanlis Half-elven rolled 13 using 1d8+6, rerolling max with rolls of 7.  Tree golem attack, wild attack plus size mod and gang up mod.)

The Runelord
 GM, 1956 posts
 Mysteries
 must be solved...
Tue 11 Jun 2019
at 20:31
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
Dorella is about to shout something at the party when she is startled by 'Bella's trick throw. This distracts her for the critical moment that the party requires. She manages to dodge Jereth's potent blow but then seems to fall right into Aradhel's deadly blows and the massive hit from the tree golem. Bloody and smashed, Dorella dies!

The party is able to gain another moment of respite.

What do you do?

Also, give me Notice checks.

Tanlis Half-elven
 player, 245 posts
 P-4(5), T-6(7)
 B-1, W-0, PP-20/3
Tue 11 Jun 2019
at 20:44
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
In reply to The Runelord (msg # 751):

(OOC-
16:43, Today: Tanlis Half-elven rolled 2,1 using 1d6,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,1.  Notice with low light vision.)

Silvijabella
 player, 157 posts
 Elf Gypsy
 P5/6 T5 C2/6 W0 F0 B1
Tue 11 Jun 2019
at 20:57
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
Silvijabella deftly retrieved her thrown star on it's return and the determined look on her face faded to one of relief as the Ogress fell before another spell could be canted.  She took stock of those around her to see who might need attention, careful not to drop her awareness of her surroundings in the process.

(16:52, Today: Silvijabella rolled 5,2 using d6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5,2.  Notice  (Low Light).
Aradhel
 player, 844 posts
 Warrior in Exile
 P:8 T:8(3) W: 0 B: 3
Tue 11 Jun 2019
at 22:04
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
Aradhel took a breath, but she was sticking to the plan.  The plan had been simple, all the way up, killing all the way, then all the way down and out, the hope being nothing would ever be at their backs.

Still, she checked quickly for any reason these particular ogres were in here, of all places.  She clapped Jereth on the back, that last attack had set the ogres up for defeat handedly.

17:03, Today: Aradhel rolled 3,2 using d6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 3,2.  Notice.

DERP

Jereth
 player, 570 posts
 Valiant Guardsman
 P:8(1) T:13(6) W:0 B:1
Thu 13 Jun 2019
at 18:05
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
Jereth was, momentarily, surprised by the clap on the back.  He gave a quick nod and a lop-sided grin, "You as well..."  Still breathing heavily, he scanned over the bloody room and the fallen ogres.  His grin faded, "How many more can there be...."


I noticed the Derp as well.

14:01, Today: Jereth rolled 3,2 using d6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 3,2. Notice!

This message was last edited by the player at 19:11, Fri 14 June.

The Runelord
 GM, 1957 posts
 Mysteries
 must be solved...
Fri 14 Jun 2019
at 18:55
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
Nothing disturbs the party while they rest for a moment.Although the ogres have done a number on the contents of this room, they aren’t quite observant enough to have noticed that the bottom of the wine cabinet contained a hidden compartment. Partially smashed open from the top, Bella notices the hidden compartment— the latch to open it is broken, so the thin slats of wood above must be pried away to expose what’s hidden within.

What do you do?
Aradhel
 player, 845 posts
 Warrior in Exile
 P:8 T:8(3) W: 0 B: 3
Fri 14 Jun 2019
at 19:05
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
"Are we sure this is the top level?  I don't see access to the outside."  Aradhel inquired.

Edited

This message was last edited by the player at 20:45, Sat 15 June.

Silvijabella
 player, 158 posts
 Elf Gypsy
 P5/6 T5 C2/6 W0 F0 B1
Sat 15 Jun 2019
at 01:26
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
'Bella moved curiously towards the wine cabinet for a closer look at the compartment.   "Before we see what lies without, there appears to be something hidden within that might contain something of interest…" the gypsy murmured, drawing attention to herself and the object of her curiosity.

"It seems the Ogres' destructive tendencies have revealed a concealed compartment." she explained as she searched the area around the latch and then where side runners or hinges should be for a trap, or possible triggering mechanism that would release the drawer.   She preferred a using a more elegant approach, but if no other option was apparent, prying up a board would work.  She motioned for Aradhel or Jereth to assist, as a longer blade would provide better leverage than her dagger or star.
The Runelord
 GM, 1959 posts
 Mysteries
 must be solved...
Sat 15 Jun 2019
at 21:17
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
Several in the party remember that there is one more level above here, accessible through stairs available somewhere on this level.
Jereth
 player, 571 posts
 Valiant Guardsman
 P:8(1) T:13(6) W:0 B:1
Sat 15 Jun 2019
at 21:18
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
Jereth is unwilling to use his wondrous sword as a prybar; it had saved his life so much today after all.  But, he will search the room for another prying tool to assist with or, if nothing else, use his much less wondrous dagger.  Settling in to see what he could prise open, he noted, "Destructive tendencies is putting it very kindly...."
The Runelord
 GM, 1961 posts
 Mysteries
 must be solved...
Wed 19 Jun 2019
at 23:38
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
The party goes through several options and finally settles on using the fallen metal-jawed ogre's weapon as a pry-bar. Inside they find a flat wooden coffer, a pair of soft green leather boots, and a tiny jewelry box.'

The coffer contains dozens and dozens of parchment sheets, all containing beautifully-written love sonnets to someone named “Myriana,” who (if the sonnets are to be believed) is so beautiful that the moon itself was “blinded when it spied her dancing on the tarn,” and that she is “the truest grace to know Whitewillow’s soft embrace.”  Smarts check for 'Bella on this.

The jewelry box contains a silver locket on a chain; inside the locket is a lock of silky golden hair. Another Smarts check for 'Bella on the hair.

The boots are very well-made and might be magical! 

Apart from this, there is nothing else of interest in this room.

Where do you go next?

Map: https://docs.google.com/drawin...S6M/edit?usp=sharing

Silvijabella
 player, 161 posts
 Elf Gypsy
 P5/6 T5 C2/6 W0 F0 B1
Thu 20 Jun 2019
at 09:01
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
'Bella paused and a soft smile rose as she found the locket and skimmed the sonnet.

(Will update/add new post after work once there's information on these results.

04:51, Today: Silvijabella rolled 5,1 using d6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5,1.  Smarts roll for locket/hair.

04:50, Today: Silvijabella rolled 7,8 using d6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of (6+1)7,(6+2)8.  Smarts roll for sonnets/poems .)