Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick.   Posted by The Runelord.Group: 0
The Runelord
 GM, 1842 posts
 Mysteries
 must be solved...
Fri 2 Nov 2018
at 17:32
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
Everyone in the party gets 1 Benny for good planning and good roleplay.

That sounds like time for two Stealth checks and one Notice check from Aradhel.

Aradhel
 player, 780 posts
 Warrior in Exile
 P:8 T:8(3) W: 0 B: 5
Fri 2 Nov 2018
at 23:38
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
Aradhel wasted as little time as possible.

18:35, Today: Aradhel rolled 10,2 using d12,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 10,2.  Stealth 1.

18:36, Today: Aradhel rolled 10,4 using d12,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 10,4.  Stealth 2.

18:36, Today: Aradhel rolled 3,4 using d6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 3,4.  Elfy Notice.

So raise, raise and success.  I will take that!

The Runelord
 GM, 1846 posts
 Mysteries
 must be solved...
Mon 12 Nov 2018
at 22:13
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
Aradhel sneaks down quite easily. What might once have been a well-maintained entrance hall is now swathed in horror. Dried blood cakes the stone walls; bits and pieces of armor, weaponry, and flesh litter the floor; and flies cloud the air. Tapestries that once bore the insignia of the Black Arrows have been torn from the walls and now lie on the floor in shreds, coated with filth.

A number of ogres stand guard in this hallway; they look nervous. Despite their "vigilance," they seem to have a hard time spotting Aradhel.

Aradhel, what do you do?

Nobody else take an action until Aradhel comes back to you all to tell you what's going on.

Map: https://docs.google.com/drawin...S6M/edit?usp=sharing

Aradhel
 player, 782 posts
 Warrior in Exile
 P:8 T:8(3) W: 0 B: 5
Tue 13 Nov 2018
at 02:32
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
Aradhel cursed internally.  If they weren't both around the corner, she could take one down without being seen or heard, but in this configuration they'd realize someone was here.

Well, that wasn't the point here anyway.  The point was to figure out where they were.  And she knew where they were now.  The bloodthirsty one would be pleased, they'd have to fight a battle on two fronts.

Carefully, she withdrew and hurried back.

"Well I found the ogres, they are in the halls.  Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, they're in two different branches.  I'm going to suggest we split the offensive and hold the intersection until they break on one end."

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:05, Thu 15 Nov 2018.

Jereth
 player, 523 posts
 Valiant Guardsman
 P:8(1) T:13(6) W:0 B:2
Thu 15 Nov 2018
at 09:02
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick

Jereth listened to Aradhel's description, offering a quick nod, "Right.  Would the gas offer any help at all in fight you plan?  Do the hallways seem like more effective chokepoints than the doors and the stairs?"
Tanlis Half-elven
 player, 211 posts
 P-4(5), T-6(7)
 B-4, W-0, PP-20/8
Thu 15 Nov 2018
at 15:55
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
In reply to Jereth (msg # 541):

"Are the corridors built for people thier size or our size? It would make a difference in them trying to fight us. If only one could fit into a corridor at a time, we would have the advantage." Tanlis points out.
Koram
 player, 84 posts
 P:7 T:7 W:0 B:2
Thu 15 Nov 2018
at 18:45
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
Koram seemed eager to get down there, his tongue darting in and out in a quick pace. "We should attack now while they are divided!" He hissed.
The Runelord
 GM, 1849 posts
 Mysteries
 must be solved...
Sat 17 Nov 2018
at 15:33
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
Tanlis Half-elven:
In reply to Jereth (msg # 541):

"Are the corridors built for people thier size or our size? It would make a difference in them trying to fight us. If only one could fit into a corridor at a time, we would have the advantage." Tanlis points out.


The Black Arrows confirm that the halls are 10' wide, wide enough to fit one ogre or two humanoids at a time.
Aradhel
 player, 783 posts
 Warrior in Exile
 P:8 T:8(3) W: 0 B: 5
Sun 18 Nov 2018
at 23:34
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
Aradhel tried to answer all the questions, and had an epiphany while doing so, seeing what the others were suggesting to her.

"It didn't seem like they could go more than one wide, in fact they'd have a very hard time... fitting through the passage I went into."  She snapped her fingers.

Aradhel stopped, found something rigid and scratched in the dirt.

"Look, see this passage?  They had to come in through this large door here.  If we throw the gas in there, and they want to get away from it, they can't realistically escape through this passage, right?  We could set up a kill zone right here, that would stop them at the door and the gas might take down the ones who can't get out."
Jereth
 player, 524 posts
 Valiant Guardsman
 P:8(1) T:13(6) W:0 B:2
Mon 19 Nov 2018
at 22:16
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick

Jereth looked over Aradhel's sketch and explanation, quickly nodding affirmative, "Right.  Two squads?  One to gas and hold the main door.  One to descend into your "killing ground."
Koram
 player, 85 posts
 P:7 T:7 W:0 B:2
Tue 20 Nov 2018
at 09:34
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
"I will hold the line!" Koram said with obvious relish.
Aradhel
 player, 784 posts
 Warrior in Exile
 P:8 T:8(3) W: 0 B: 5
Tue 20 Nov 2018
at 15:41
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
"Well the killing would be at the main door, I mean the only alternative is they run deeper into the hall here, in which case we have them pinned in because I doubt they're going to do well trying to go through that door, or they could try to go into this room here or this room here with the double doors, but why would they do that?  Either they run out the front door or they bottle themselves up in a tight spot."

She shrugged.  "We have seen them ascend the towers so they obviously can work through the passages, I just cannot imagine it's fast going for them."

This message was last edited by the player at 15:43, Tue 20 Nov 2018.

Tanlis Half-elven
 player, 212 posts
 P-4(5), T-6(7)
 B-4, W-0, PP-20/8
Tue 20 Nov 2018
at 16:30
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
In reply to Aradhel (msg # 548):

"They did seem like terrible climbers-I saw one try to scale the gates and could not manage it. Their own weight must drag them down." Tanlis pointed out.
Silvijabella
 player, 95 posts
 Elf Gypsy
 P5/6 T5 C2/6 W0 F0 B4
Sat 24 Nov 2018
at 23:49
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
Silvijabella looked curiously at the sketch and followed along as plans were discussed.  "Perhaps I am missing something, but we had ogres attacking from the stairwell of the north tower as well, and this hall doesn't appear to provide access.  If we use the southern stairs to confront the ogres in the halls indicated, we won't know what threat may gain access to our flanks by ascending the stairs in the northern tower and coming along the battlements behind us."

She looked towards Jakardros and the Black Arrows for confirmation that the towers were accessed via separate halls that may possibly be adjoined.
Koram
 player, 87 posts
 P:7 T:7 W:0 B:2
Sun 25 Nov 2018
at 07:34
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
"This is taking too long!" Koram said with a hissing growl.

He began pacing back and forth in an obviously agitated manner. His tong still darting in and out of his mouth rapidly. His hands tightening and loosening on his glaive as he paced.

This message was last edited by the player at 07:36, Sun 25 Nov 2018.

The Runelord
 GM, 1854 posts
 Mysteries
 must be solved...
Tue 27 Nov 2018
at 01:15
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
Silvijabella:
She looked towards Jakardros and the Black Arrows for confirmation that the towers were accessed via separate halls that may possibly be adjoined.


The Black Arrows laugh. "The other tower goes into a library. Or what used to be a library," says Vale. "I don't think they're lining up in there. But if they have any brains they'll have a lookout in there."
Aradhel
 player, 786 posts
 Warrior in Exile
 P:8 T:8(3) W: 0 B: 5
Tue 27 Nov 2018
at 04:34
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
"Well I've put my idea out there.  I am not attached to it.  If there's a better one let it be heard."  Aradhel shrugged.  She was getting on the same page as Koram.
Silvijabella
 player, 96 posts
 Elf Gypsy
 P5/6 T5 C2/6 W0 F0 B4
Tue 27 Nov 2018
at 09:43
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
'Bella shook her head, "I was just pointing out tgat there may be flaws in presuming they could only fall back or receive reinforcements through larger doors as they had little difficulting getting forces to the tower stairs earlier.

I'm all for trying to storm this end, but I think having someone or something holding the Northern tower would be advisable.  Even if it's just large debris to prevent the stairwell door from opening."


The Elf's gaze drifted towards Archimedes and his pocket-golem and Tanlis' Tree-Friend, thinking one such as those might be able to bar the way.
Tanlis Half-elven
 player, 214 posts
 P-4(5), T-6(7)
 B-4, W-0, PP-20/8
Tue 27 Nov 2018
at 15:51
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
In reply to Silvijabella (msg # 554):

"Consider it done!" Tanlis says with a bow and a grin. "Besides, with these tunnels my Tree Golem would be of limited use." He glanced over at the gnome. "Shall we? We can discuss natural science while our larger friends do all the work!" He chuckled and elbowed Archie.
The Runelord
 GM, 1858 posts
 Mysteries
 must be solved...
Fri 7 Dec 2018
at 19:45
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
The Black Arrows don't argue with what generally sounds like a good plan, and everyone gets into place.

The fight begins when the two golems begin tearing off chunks of the parapets and throwing it down into the stairway up to the tower, blocking the hall. This, predictably, results in much shouting from below.

Then, as the rest of the party prepares, the Black Arrows assist Archimedes in lobbing some sleep bombs down the stairs. There is roaring and shouting and thumping. The shouting draws close to the southern doors and moments later they fly open as an ogre, coughing, pops out...

Koram, you're in front on the map presuming you want to hit the first ogre to come out--take your action first.

When you post, please validate your position on the map linked below.

Map: https://docs.google.com/drawin...S6M/edit?usp=sharing

Koram
 player, 89 posts
 P:7 T:7 W:0 B:2
Fri 7 Dec 2018
at 21:37
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
Stepping into the line Koram hissed a challenge to the ogres and readied his glaive. "Come you putrid scaleless sacks of meat! Come feel the fury of Koram The Larshathian! Come taste of my steel! Come and spill your blood upon these stones at my feet!"


13:38, Today: Koram rolled 4,2 using 1d10,1d8, rerolling max with rolls of 4,2.  damage.

13:38, Today: Koram rolled 7,3 using 1d10,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 7,3.  attack.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:38, Fri 07 Dec 2018.

The Runelord
 GM, 1860 posts
 Mysteries
 must be solved...
Fri 7 Dec 2018
at 22:08
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
Korath's blow bounces off the thick hide of the nearest ogre.

Jereth, Bella, Aradhel, what do you do?
Jereth
 player, 528 posts
 Valiant Guardsman
 P:8(1) T:13(6) W:0 B:2
Mon 10 Dec 2018
at 07:17
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick

Jereth moved off to Koram's left as the wild lizardman warrior moved in. The guardsman positioned himself to ward this side of the doorway, hoping to prevent more than one or two of the ogres from getting out to face them.  As Koram's glaive came down from on high, Jereth took a long step and came in with his blade in a lunging upward thrust...

10 to hit (+1 Sword, +1 Gangup), 21 Damage (20 Damage if the hit wasn't a Raise)

02:07, Today: Jereth rolled 20,1 using 2d8+1,d6, rerolling max with rolls of (8+5)13,6,1. Longsword Damage, Plus Raise Potential. 02:05, Today: Jereth rolled 10,7 using d10+2,d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 8,5. Longsword Slash!

Aradhel
 player, 789 posts
 Warrior in Exile
 P:8 T:8(3) W: 0 B: 5
Wed 12 Dec 2018
at 02:09
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
Taking advantage of the large facing of the ogre, Aradhel wasn't shy about pressing the attack.  Jereth had likely already slain it but she was ready to spring just in case, throwing caution to the wind and going for the kill.

Forgot Gang Up bonus this should actually be a 15 - 20:07, Today: Aradhel rolled 6,13 using d12+2,d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 4,(6+5)11.  Fighting - Left Hand, Wild Attack.

Likewise this is actually a 23 - 20:07, Today: Aradhel rolled 21,10 using d12+3,d6+3, rerolling max with rolls of (12+6)18,(6+1)7.  Fighting, Wild Attack, Right Hand.

21 damage - 20:08, Today: Aradhel rolled 13,4,4 using d8+2,d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of (8+3)11,4,4.  Damage - Left Hand.

13 damage - 20:07, Today: Aradhel rolled 4,2,7 using d8+3,d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1,2,(6+1)7.  Damage - Right Hand.

Silvijabella
 player, 103 posts
 Elf Gypsy
 P5/6 T5 C2/6 W0 F0 B4
Sat 15 Dec 2018
at 17:42
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
As the companions made quick work of the Ogre in their path, 'Bella held back out of immediate melee but within sight of their foes and attempted to use the reflection of the torchlight off her blades to distract and possibly blind the foes in melee.

(Essentially trying to reflect light into their eyes with a Trick - presuming opposed Agility? (Without bonus for Acrobat Edge)  Targeting either Ogre in melee or one past him looking to close.
12:39, Today: Silvijabella rolled 5,4 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5,4.  Agility Trick vs either Ogre in melee or one past him looking to close.)