Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick.   Posted by The Runelord.Group: 0
Aradhel
 player, 831 posts
 Warrior in Exile
 P:8 T:8(3) W: 0 B: 4
Wed 1 May 2019
at 01:14
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
"Now the southern door, and the room in the hallway, then we continue up until it's done."  Aradhel responded, seeing no other way it could be as she ventured to check the opposite door since Jereth had seen to the northern one.
Silvijabella
 player, 145 posts
 Elf Gypsy
 P5/6 T5 C2/6 W0 F0 B4
Wed 1 May 2019
at 09:58
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
'Bella nodded at Aradhel's plan.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:24, Mon 06 May.

The Runelord
 GM, 1938 posts
 Mysteries
 must be solved...
Mon 6 May 2019
at 23:27
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
Bella had additional thoughts.

Aradhel opens the southern door B32. Wood and glass cases lay in ruins, hundreds of sheaves of parchment within now spilled about, spattered in blood and torn to shreds. This room contained dozens of maps of the Hook Mountain region and other Varisian locales. Now, only a few remain intact, one detailing several of the smugglers’ tunnels beneath Riddleport (worth 50 gp to a smuggler), another detailing the first few poisonous levels of Viperwall (worth 400 gp to an interested party), and another of the hidden paths of Lurkwood’s interior (worth 700 gp to explorers set on investigating the mist-shrouded woods).

Notice check for Aradhel and/or Jereth.
Silvijabella
 player, 146 posts
 Elf Gypsy
 P5/6 T5 C2/6 W0 F0 B4
Tue 7 May 2019
at 00:05
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
Upon seeing the map room, 'Bella responded to Tanlis' query, "I don't recall exactly how many rooms are on this floor, but there is only one chamber at the top of the tower to the north."  Her gaze fell to the various maps as she recalled various stories she had heard regarding each location.
Aradhel
 player, 832 posts
 Warrior in Exile
 P:8 T:8(3) W: 0 B: 4
Tue 7 May 2019
at 01:35
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
Aradhel wasn't particularly happy about that.  Maps were as much art as they were craft, destroying them was vile.

More once I see what this does!

20:35, Today: Aradhel rolled 1,3 using d6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1,3.  Elfy Notice.

DERP!

Jereth
 player, 562 posts
 Valiant Guardsman
 P:8(1) T:13(6) W:0 B:1
Tue 7 May 2019
at 08:15
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick

04:14, Today: Jereth rolled 4,3 using d6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,3. Human Notice!
The Runelord
 GM, 1939 posts
 Mysteries
 must be solved...
Tue 7 May 2019
at 17:18
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
Jereth hears the rough tones of a couple of big beings talking back and forth behind the door. There be ogres in there. There's a pretty good chance they know you're out here, too.

What do you do?

Map: https://docs.google.com/drawin...S6M/edit?usp=sharing

Jereth
 player, 563 posts
 Valiant Guardsman
 P:8(1) T:13(6) W:0 B:1
Wed 8 May 2019
at 08:34
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick

Jereth's eyes narrowed at the final door.  He glanced at Aradhel, holding up two fingers, and then indicating the door.  He then brought his shield back around to his arm again.  Shield and sword ready, he took a position at the door as though ready to rush through as soon as the door was pushed open....

Ready in case they try to charge out.  But more ready to charge /in/ when we are ready and someone opens the door for him
Aradhel
 player, 833 posts
 Warrior in Exile
 P:8 T:8(3) W: 0 B: 4
Wed 8 May 2019
at 23:57
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
Aradhel took the hint.  She raised one hand, holding that sword in two fingers, then counted down from three slowly but not too slowly, and when done, finessed the door open, since she intended to go in right behind him if possible.
Tanlis Half-elven
 player, 237 posts
 P-4(5), T-6(7)
 B-3, W-0, PP-20/2
Thu 9 May 2019
at 00:07
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
Tanlis notices the two warriors silent communication. He prepares to summon his tree golem once more, but saves his energy until there is need.
Silvijabella
 player, 147 posts
 Elf Gypsy
 P5/6 T5 C2/6 W0 F0 B4
Thu 9 May 2019
at 01:37
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
'Bella readied her stars and watched as Aradhel and Jereth moved to engage the foes within, watching for an opportunity to assist.
The Runelord
 GM, 1940 posts
 Mysteries
 must be solved...
Fri 10 May 2019
at 13:14
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
The party prepares and Aradhel opens teh door. The walls of this room are decorated with fine longswords, stuffed animal heads, and a map of the Hook Mountain environs. A large oak table surrounded by several chairs has been smashed to splinters, and an immense bed has similarly been ruined. An open cabinet that once contained several bottles of wine has been crushed as well, and broken bottles and the faint scent of wine linger around its ruins.

Standing opposite the door, with just enough room for someone to come in, is an ogre with a jaw seemingly made of steel. He roars at the sight of Jereth. On the far side of the room is a female ogre that stares at you through glassy eyes...

Aradhel and Bella go before the iron-jawed ogre. Aradhel, you used some movement to open the door--you can still move  up to 4 squares and take actions. Bella, you have your full turn to use.

NPC Status:
Hookmaw  Parry: 7 Toughness: 11 (1) Wounds: none  Bennies: 3
Dorella  Parry: 6 Toughness: 13 (3) Wounds: none Bennies: 3

Map: https://docs.google.com/drawin...S6M/edit?usp=sharing

Aradhel
 player, 834 posts
 Warrior in Exile
 P:8 T:8(3) W: 0 B: 4
Fri 10 May 2019
at 16:34
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
Well that was tight squeeze.   But Aradhel saw her opening.  With silent apologies to Jereth for forcing him into the wedge between the two ogres, she hoped to effect a hammer and anvil strategy (not to mention keep the Ogres from funneling them) by dashing through to the furthest flank of the creature she knew not as Hookmaw.

She had another idea for later, but Jereth would have to be in position first.  For right now she opened up in a neutral, more defensive form.  "<The panther stalks its prey by moonlight.>"

So moved 3 squares' worth into the corner there.

11:30, Today: Aradhel rolled 3,4 using d12+1,d6+1, rerolling max with rolls of 2,3.  Fighting - Right Hand.

No good!

11:30, Today: Aradhel rolled 9,5 using d12,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 9,5.  Fighting - Left Hand.

That's a hit

11:32, Today: Aradhel rolled 8 using 2d8, rerolling max with rolls of 1,7.  Damage - Left Hand.

But not enough damage to matter.

That's okay though.

Silvijabella
 player, 148 posts
 Elf Gypsy
 P5/6 T5 C2/6 W0 F0 B3
Sat 11 May 2019
at 03:39
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
Without stopping to think, 'Bella tapped her  inner reserves and moved into the room with a light, prancing step and  leapt up onto one of the remaining pieces of furniture that could hold her.  She moved in a  pirouette that sent the layers of her multi-hued skirts flashing as she cast Confusion upon both Ogres, hoping to bide the warriors some time.

(Spend Benny for 3 power points, used 2 on spell.   23:32, Today: Silvijabella rolled 1,1 using 1d6,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1,1.  Perfornance - castng Confusion on 2 targets.
Because of course snake-eyes.  I couldn't recall if we were using Critical Failures or not… so presuming not & spending a Benny to re-roll.  If we're using Critical Failure, then I think that's Shaken and no spell instead?  I see her misjudging the sturdiness of the piece of furniture she leapt upon and taking a tumble as it collapses, ruining the spell.

Otherwise see below.

23:37, Today: Silvijabella rolled 4,4 using 1d6,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,4.  Bennied - Performance roll for Confusion spell.   So both Ogres make Smarts Roll -2 or be Shaken.)

This message was last edited by the player at 03:56, Sat 11 May.

The Runelord
 GM, 1942 posts
 Mysteries
 must be solved...
Wed 15 May 2019
at 12:25
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
The steel-jawed ogre blinks as Aradhel's blade dances across his skin without harming him. He then laughs. He is so distracted by this that he seems to either not notice or disregard 'Bella's performance.

The female, Dorella, gapes at 'Bella's peformance. "Pretty!" she booms.

Dorella is Shaken by 'Bella's Confusion. Hookmaw is not.

Hookmaw attacks Aradhel and misses.

Jereth and Tanlis are up! Remember, don't post your turn unless I call your name specifically.

NPC Status:
Hookmaw  Parry: 7 Toughness: 11 (1) Wounds: none  Bennies: 3
Dorella  SHAKEN, Parry: 6 Toughness: 13 (3) Wounds: none Bennies: 3

Map: https://docs.google.com/drawin...S6M/edit?usp=sharing

Tanlis Half-elven
 player, 238 posts
 P-4(5), T-6(7)
 B-2, W-0, PP-20/2
Wed 15 May 2019
at 20:49
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
In reply to The Runelord (msg # 713):

Tanlis summons the Tree Golem once more, but the metal-jawed ogre steps to the side even as the large wooden limbs attempt to strike the Ogre from behind.

16:47, Today: Tanlis Half-elven rolled 5 using 1d8+4, rerolling max with rolls of 1. Tree golem strike on Hookmaw, wild attack, gang up mod, size mod.

16:45, Today: Tanlis Half-elven rolled 2,5 using d10,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,5. Summon ally tree golem.

Jereth
 player, 564 posts
 Valiant Guardsman
 P:8(1) T:13(6) W:0 B:1
Fri 17 May 2019
at 07:52
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick

Jereth followed in on the heels of Aradhel and Sil.  His bright shield lead the way for a moment, then slid to the side as he whipped his longsword up from low to high.  He threw his whole body into it; having learned the hard way that fighting ogres involved a lot of offense....and luck...

To Hit - 9, 15 Damage

Parry reduced to 6

03:45, Today: Jereth rolled 15 using 2d8+3, rerolling max with rolls of 5,7.  Damage.
03:44, Today: Jereth rolled 7,8 using 1d10+4,d6+4, rerolling max with rolls of 3,4.  Wild Charging Slash vs. Hookmaw.

The Runelord
 GM, 1943 posts
 Mysteries
 must be solved...
Fri 17 May 2019
at 19:24
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
Jereth's blow skids off of the metal-jawed ogre's thick hide in a turn of luck for the fat giant-kind. Hookmaw roars in anger.

This roar seems to restore the female's attention. "RAAAAAAARRRRR," she bellows as she spews green magic from her hands, washing over the party!!

Hookmaw spends a Benny to Soak and successfully soaks the one Wound that Jereth would have given him; he is also not Shaken because he soaked the wound.

Dorella spends a Benny to un-Shake and then spends a Benny to successfully cast Confusion.

Aradhel, Jereth, 'Bella, Tanlis and Tanlis' golem all need to make Smarts checks at -2 or be Shaken!!

DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT take your turn yet.

NPC Status:
Hookmaw  Parry: 7 Toughness: 11 (1) Wounds: none  Bennies: 2
Dorella  SHAKEN, Parry: 6 Toughness: 13 (3) Wounds: none Power Points: 5 used, Bennies: 1

Map: https://docs.google.com/drawin...S6M/edit?usp=sharing

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:25, Fri 17 May.

Tanlis Half-elven
 player, 239 posts
 P-4(5), T-6(7)
 B-2, W-0, PP-20/2
Fri 17 May 2019
at 19:55
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
In reply to The Runelord (msg # 716):

OOC:
15:55, Today: Tanlis Half-elven rolled 5,1 using d8-2,d6-2, rerolling max with rolls of 7,3.  Tanlis rolling smarts not to be shaken.

15:54, Today: Tanlis Half-elven rolled 1 using 1d4-2, rerolling max with rolls of 3.  Tree Golem rolling smarts to not be shaken.

Aradhel
 player, 835 posts
 Warrior in Exile
 P:8 T:8(3) W: 0 B: 4
Fri 17 May 2019
at 21:17
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
16:16, Today: Aradhel rolled 0,1 using d6-2,d6-2, rerolling max with rolls of 2,3.  Smarts.

Nope.  Aradhel will spend a benny to immediately unshake if successfully attacked however.

Silvijabella
 player, 149 posts
 Elf Gypsy
 P5/6 T5 C2/6 W0 F0 B2
Sat 18 May 2019
at 13:34
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
(09:30, Today: Silvijabella rolled 21,0 using d6-2,d6-2, rerolling max with rolls of (6+6+6+5)23,2.  Smarts roll vs Confusion.  Success +4 Raises!!  (It's times like this I kinda wished SW had that 'Immune to this Effect for rest of encounter' rule... but baddies roll high too...))
Jereth
 player, 565 posts
 Valiant Guardsman
 P:8(1) T:13(6) W:0 B:1
Sun 19 May 2019
at 02:07
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
22:06, Today: Jereth rolled 0,7 using d4-2,d6-2, rerolling max with rolls of 2,(6+3)9. Smarts!
The Runelord
 GM, 1944 posts
 Mysteries
 must be solved...
Sun 19 May 2019
at 15:05
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
'Bella, describe how you use your dancing to give Aradhel a chance to shake off the magic.

Aradhel, you get a free re-roll of your Smarts check due to 'Bella's uber-Ace.

Silvijabella
 player, 150 posts
 Elf Gypsy
 P5/6 T5 C2/6 W0 F0 B2
Mon 20 May 2019
at 13:06
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
'Bella recognized the wave of green energies sent by the Ogress, not from direct experience, but she had seen it's effects and knew the demoralizing impact it could have on foes.  This insight proved instrumental in her resisting the effects, and she thought of a performance  that might steel her comrades as well.

Her movements changed suddenly, from quick and fluid to powerful, energetic steps and sharp movement of limbs and blades.  The shuffle-stomp of her bare feet on the table accompanied by the solid staccato of her bangles began to resemble the sound of light mail.

She brought her blades together in a spinning motion and as they passed, the grazing steel on steel emulated the rhythm of the Elven blade dancers.  She focused on her movements, the sounds created more than the graceful flash of the silks.

To one with eyes closed, the lone Gypsy would almost sound as a small squad of the warriors as they battled across a field, awakening the inspiration of such a vision within those hearing.
Aradhel
 player, 836 posts
 Warrior in Exile
 P:8 T:8(3) W: 0 B: 4
Mon 20 May 2019
at 18:10
Re: Chapter 8: Retaking Rannick
13:03, Today: Aradhel rolled 8,1 using d6-2,d6-2, rerolling max with rolls of (6+4)10,3.  Try Smarts Again.

That took Aradhel back, to see another elf going through the motions.  It was like being in the training yard again.  Before you even touch a sword, you learn the steps, stances and angles.  The warrior is the weapon, the blade is the tool.

Each pose, each position, had a name, though they sounded better in elvish.  The panther leaps.  Firefly alights upon the blossom.  The viper strikes. So too did this one.

"<Elven>Turtle carries crane on its back!</Elven>"  Fortunately, it was a neutral, defensive position meant to be used in formations.