Dust Runner Bridge.   Posted by StarMaster.Group: 0
StarMaster
 GM, 84 posts
 Referee
Sat 17 May 2014
at 16:59
Dust Runner Bridge
For posts on the bridge...
Steve Cable
 Player, 57 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Sun 18 May 2014
at 21:48
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Steve sits at the Nav console.
Brings up specs.

Rucker-class Merchant Vessel “Dust Runner”
Tons Cost (Mcr) Hull 300 tons
Streamlined    Hull 6    Structure 6

Armor Crystaliron 4 Points

Zimm Drive C 2 parsec range
Maneuver Drive C Thrust 2
Power Plant C

Bridge
Computer Model 2 Rating
Electronics Civilian Sensors DM 2

Weapons

Hardpoint 1 Triple Turret (missilerack, beam laser,sandcaster)
Hardpoint 2 Empty
Hardpoint 3 Empty
Fuel 46 tons 1 2 parsec jump and 2 weeks of operation:
Cargo 108 tons
15 Staterooms One converted to office
20 Low Berths

Extras
Ship’s Locker
Air/Raft
Software Maneuver/0
Intellect 1
Zimm Control 0.2
Evade/1 1
Fire Control/1 2
Library

Maintenance Cost
(Monthly)
2.08
Life Support Cost
(Monthly)
0.04

Total Tonnage And Cost
296t          Cr249.905

This message was lightly edited by the player at 06:39, Wed 13 July 2016.

Ignatius Maor
 player, 33 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Mon 19 May 2014
at 20:21
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
What stations are there on the bridge?
Steve Cable
 Player, 61 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Mon 19 May 2014
at 21:40
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Full military rig, looks like pilot, astrogator, comp, sensors and a 5th seat for captain or comms operator, depending on crew org."
Nathaniel Slater
 player, 26 posts
 Ex-military
 768786
Mon 19 May 2014
at 23:37
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
[continued from Lanth: New Day]

Nate nodded thoughtfully to the Baroness' reply.  He was grateful for her generous offer - heaven knew he'd not had much go his way in this life - but her answer still didn't resolve the issue of leadership.

"Will you be the Captain then, Baroness?" he asked, not having moved any closer to the nav chair where the bounty hunter sat.  "Or will you appoint another to run matters aboard the ship on your behalf?"

Perhaps it was his military background, but Nate preferred to know who was in command.  The pecking order mattered, whether you agreed with the specific people in role or not.
Vermeer Drex
 player, 40 posts
 Agent/Comms
 997A77
Tue 20 May 2014
at 13:25
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
While others tried to formulate some sort of coherent plan Drex sat in his seat in front of the comms, idly watching. It was interesting to him to see the group dynamic, and how it would - possibly - pull together.
Luise Wechsler
 player, 42 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Tue 20 May 2014
at 15:47
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Luise considers it for a moment, then agrees to the captaincy: "Why not? I can do the day to day management, the shifts and regulations. We will need a vote on that, because a captain needs some authority.

"I'll need to have a look at the UPPs to organize us.", she says, half absorbed in thought and turns to the computer to call up the UPPs.

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 18:08, Tue 20 May 2014.

Luise Wechsler
 player, 43 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Tue 20 May 2014
at 18:18
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Luise analyszes the data:

Admin: Luise +, Gahler
Advocate: Kraig +, Gahler +
Animals: Arc, Vermeer
Athletics: Shamus, Kraig
Art: x
Astrogation: Steve +, Gahler +
Battle Dress: Nathaniel
Broker: Luise +, Kraig +, Gahler +
Carouse: Gahler, Kraig
Comms: Vermeer +, Steve +, Arc +
Computers: Luise, Shamus, Stez, Vermeer, Arc
Deception: Vermeer +, Kraig +, Gahler +
Diplomat: Luise +, Steve +
Drive: Steve, Kraig, Gahler, Vermeer, Arc
Engineering: Gahler +, Kraig +
Explosives: Luise +, Stez
Flyer: Steve +, Kraig +, Gahler +, Arc
Gambler: Kraig +, Gahler +, Arc
Gunner: IM
Gun Combat: Shamus ++, Vermeer+, Nathaniel +, Arc
Heavy Weapons: Shamus, Stez -
Investigate: Vermeer +, Luise +
Language: Steve +
Leadership: x
Mechanic: Gahler +, Kraig +
Medic: Luise +, Steve +, Arc +
Melee(blade): Luise +, Nathaniel, Arc +
Persuade: Luise +, Vermeer +
Pilot: Kraig ++, Gahler ++
Recon: Vermeer +, Luise +, Arc
Remote Ops: x
Life Sciences: Steve, IM
Physical Sciences: x
Social Sciences: Luise, Steve
Space Sciences: IM
Seafarer: x
Sensors: Gahler +, Kraig +
Stealth: Steve +, Vermeer +, Arc
Steward: Gahler, Kraig
Streetwise: Kraig +, Gahler +
Survival: Gahler, Nathaniel, Arc +
Tactics: Stez, Shamus, Nathaniel
Trade: Arc
Vacc Suit: Shamus, all except Steve
Zero-G: Steve, Luise
PSI: Stez+

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:06, Tue 20 May 2014.

Nathaniel Slater
 player, 29 posts
 Ex-military
 768786
Wed 21 May 2014
at 01:36
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
It wasn't until after Luise turned her attention to the computer screen that Nate let his eyes roll of their own accord.  Doesn't seem like our Baroness is used to a position of power, despite her title.  He'd expected the closest thing to an owner they had to impose her will on the group, but here she was talking about a vote for captain, like they were in grade school or something.

The bounty hunter was a take-charge sort it seemed, but Nate wasn't sure his agenda held a lot of room for the other crew members.  And getting pushed aside by life one more time wasn't high on Nate's list of goals.  Time to take charge of his own destiny.

"What else do you need done?" he asked Cable after closing the rest of the distance to the nav chair.  "If you don't need me sitting in my old chair," he nodded to the occupied seat, "I'd like to be of use somewhere else."
Steve Cable
 Player, 68 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Wed 21 May 2014
at 02:20
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"You're the Nav huh. Well you can have the seat. There are multiple courses laid in, You can double check them if you'd like."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 38 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Wed 21 May 2014
at 02:27
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Gahler strolls into the bridge, noting the blood in the hall.
"Well, nice layout. When do I get a chance to drive this bus?"
Can we salvage the ATV? It's fuel bunker can be used to store water for an extra jump."

Steve Cable
 Player, 69 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Wed 21 May 2014
at 02:36
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"That would be interesting, some have no fuel tank and are pure electric, the ones that do don't hold 20 tons."

This message was last edited by the player at 02:43, Wed 21 May 2014.

Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 39 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Wed 21 May 2014
at 02:42
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"So which one was it?" Gahler asked no familiar with the military vehicle they borrowed.
"Failing that, we could wield its shell parts into a storage container."
"Won't need as many barrels then."
"After all, the further we can jump the better to get out of the Swordie clutches."

This message was last edited by the player at 02:43, Wed 21 May 2014.

Steve Cable
 Player, 70 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Wed 21 May 2014
at 02:43
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Wait you mean the shuttle not an ATV?"

"Have to send someone to check, it might be sunk too deep or pulled out to sea by now."


Thought.

Comm

"Bridge here, is the gravitic drive on-line?"

This message was last edited by the player at 02:46, Wed 21 May 2014.

Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 40 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Wed 21 May 2014
at 03:35
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Yep the shuttle I made do the double barrel roll to avoid the missiles." Gahler corrected, "bloody laser wound fragging up my recent memory or was it the pain meds you force fed me."
Ignatius Maor
 player, 36 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Wed 21 May 2014
at 17:57
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
IM seated at the Sensor Station brings the system up and has it run a self diagnostic. After it's completed he will set it to passive scan to the extent of it's range to determine if they are alone (or not).
Steve Cable
 Player, 72 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Wed 21 May 2014
at 18:14
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"No fuel scoops, no refinery, we'll have to use seawater for fuel. That can cause a misjump, but being brand new might help."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 41 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Wed 21 May 2014
at 21:27
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Sure there are risks with using unrefined fuel but against the certainty of a Swordie prison if we are captured. I would take the risk."
Steve Cable
 Player, 73 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Wed 21 May 2014
at 23:31
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"We have 40 tons aboard.  Take us to the beach Gahier we'll refuel and see what is left of the shuttle. Treetop, we don't want to light up any radar, lidar, PESA or eyeballs we don't know about. Land in the water, we'll send the Zho out to see if any tentacle beasts are waiting for us." snicker

"If you don't mind passive sensor sweep after we get airborne, see if any company about."
Nathaniel Slater
 player, 30 posts
 Ex-military
 768786
Sat 24 May 2014
at 19:35
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Nate took the nav chair from Cable and on Luise's instruction began to examine the Arba flight route in greater detail.  It seemed to him that it was their best bet to get to a section of space that was navigable for the Dust Runner.  The limits of their jump drive really left them vulnerable if they headed in almost any other direction.

Cable had already plotted out something, so Nate double-checked the work.  After going through the data he was satisfied no changes were necessary.  The plot was solid.


OOC:

Plot Jump to Arba: +1 (Astrogation) +4 (easy task) -2 (J-2) = +3 bonus

15:33, Today: Nathaniel Slater rolled 10 using 2d6+3 with rolls of 6,1. Plot jump to Arba.

Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 42 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Sun 25 May 2014
at 08:18
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Gahler shrugged, slipping into the pilots seat, "You might want to make sure the cargo bay doors are closed and the ship is secured before we take the short trip."

Gahler did a standard pilot ship checklist to make sure all was working proper before even moving the ship.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:21, Sun 25 May 2014.

Steve Cable
 Player, 75 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Sun 25 May 2014
at 13:03
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"I'll go see myself."
Shamus O'Donnell
 player, 41 posts
Sun 25 May 2014
at 14:50
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
<<comms from Engineering>>

"We've still got a problem with the grav plates, I need somebody with engineering skill to come assist fixing the problem."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 43 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Sun 25 May 2014
at 21:52
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"I have some skills with M-drives. Nothing with grav plates." Gahler replied to engineering.
Turning to the Miss Wechsler, "Captain? Anyone on the ship got grav plate skills?"
Steve Cable
 Player, 77 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Mon 26 May 2014
at 00:24
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Comm

"Gahler ship is sealed move to the beach."

Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 44 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Mon 26 May 2014
at 09:53
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Just doing last systems checks Steve."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 85 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Tue 3 Jun 2014
at 02:31
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
[Comm]

"Grav system repaired and checks out satisfactory," Kraig reports.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 45 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Tue 3 Jun 2014
at 04:02
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Com to Engineering: "Roger that Engineering. Stand by for a short hop to the beach."
General com: "Secure all personal. Lift off in 1 minute."

Gahler lifts the ship off and takes a short low hop to the beach. Landing on the beach with the cargo bay facing the water.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:04, Tue 03 June 2014.

StarMaster
 GM, 96 posts
 Referee
Tue 3 Jun 2014
at 15:34
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
The cargo bay loads from the underside, since it's on the lower deck, but the loading ramp would load from the rear, so Gahler parks the ship on the beach, engines facing the water.

The shuttle that they grabbed to get here is still visible in the water. It's slipped a little further than it had when they left it, but it seems to be hung up on some shoals.

At least part of it is flooded.


A few moments after Gahler lands the ship, Vermeer picks up an automated distress beacon. It's coming from space; it's an escape pod. The signal is fairly weak, but perhaps that's because the direction is the horizon, which slowly starts to rise as the planet turns.

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:38, Tue 03 June 2014.

Ignatius Maor
 player, 37 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Wed 4 Jun 2014
at 21:15
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
IM seated at the Sensor Station runs a passive scan to the extent of its range trying to determine if they are alone (or not).

16:14, Today: Ignatius Maor rolled 6 using 2d6+2 with rolls of 3,1. Sensors +1, Int +1 (Plus system).
StarMaster
 GM, 97 posts
 Referee
Wed 4 Jun 2014
at 21:38
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
The ship's passive sensors do not detect anything overhead in space nor anything in the immediate airspace.

IM does register the signal from the escape pod though not the actual escape pod, which is out of range. The degrading signal indicates that the escape pod is moving away... out of the ecliptic and into deepspace.
Vermeer Drex
 player, 43 posts
 Agent/Comms
 997A77
Thu 5 Jun 2014
at 10:39
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Escape pod passing overhead. Looks like it's shooting off into the distance. Where it came from...damned if I know."
Steve Cable
 Player, 80 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Thu 5 Jun 2014
at 12:21
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Comm from beach

"It won't be going anywhere if we don't top off the tanks. Turn the pumps on."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 47 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Thu 5 Jun 2014
at 13:07
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Gahler taps the coms: "Engineering. Switch on fuel pumps so we can bring on sea water."
Steve Cable
 Player, 83 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Thu 5 Jun 2014
at 16:12
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Comm from beach

"This shouldn't take long."
Steve Cable
 Player, 85 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 00:12
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Steve returns.

"Any new captain's elected while I was gone?"

Nathaniel Slater
 player, 31 posts
 Ex-military
 768786
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 13:46
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Pretty  sure Luise is still the only one," Nate snorted, the corner of his mouth quirking upward with the beginnings of a smile.  "Are we almost ready to go somewhere?"
Steve Cable
 Player, 86 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 13:49
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"We're fueled. Did engineering report."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 50 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Sun 8 Jun 2014
at 08:30
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Com: "Engineering. Staus report on fuel tanks. Are they full?"
"Are we going to salvage the shuttle or not."
Gahler queries.
Steve Cable
 Player, 87 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Sun 8 Jun 2014
at 12:17
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"I just filled them so they better be.

"It'a few hours till dark so we can take a look."

Arc Tangent
 Player, 18 posts
Sun 8 Jun 2014
at 22:58
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
After cleaning up the dead bodies, Arc just kind of hung around, doing his best to stay out of everyone's way. He felt like a fifth wheel... actually, more like a seventh wheel, if there was such a thing.

His only function on the bridge would be to relieve Vermeer on the comms, so he was kind of looking over Vermeer's shoulder when the distress beacon popped up.

"If it's not changed course, which it doesn't look like it's done, we should be able to triangulate where it came from," Arc said excitedly, "as well as where it's going. Wait! It's changed course! That means there's somebody inside! Somebody that's till alive!"

He looked over at Nate at the navigator's station, even though there was nothing in particular to do.

"Hey, Nate! Can you plot some courses for us? Where that escape pod came from and where it's going?"

"We need an engineer now to tell us how much time the pod's inhabitants have."


He was expecting Vermeer to do that, so he turned to Luise.

"Well, captain, have you figured out where we're going yet?"

"Do we attempt a rescue? After all, that could just as easily have been us out there."

Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 52 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Mon 9 Jun 2014
at 03:46
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Rescue? We haven't saved ourselves yet." Gahler grumbled.
Luise Wechsler
 player, 47 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Mon 9 Jun 2014
at 17:49
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Luise shrugs. "Let's see how this water plan of yours works. If you think this water scheme of yours is working - take us to Victoria. If not - Arba. Whatever it is - get us out of here."
Steve Cable
 Player, 89 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Mon 9 Jun 2014
at 20:36
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Gahler, follow the course that I put in then we'll try for the distress signal. If feasible."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 54 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Mon 9 Jun 2014
at 20:59
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
With the shuttle idea being ditched, "Buckle up and hold on."
Gahler put the ship in motion, flying low over the ocean using the vectors given in Navigation.
Ignatius Maor
 player, 39 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Mon 9 Jun 2014
at 21:42
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
IM keeps us the sensor scan, keeping it passive. He has an electronic eye out for anything that might be watching or has the potential to watch with the secondary task of following the escape pod.

16:39, Today: Ignatius Maor rolled 9 using 2d6+2 with rolls of 5,2. Sensors +1, Int +1 (Plus system).
Steve Cable
 Player, 91 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Mon 9 Jun 2014
at 23:11
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Now if everyone hasn't heard we got a Zho stoway and some poor mind-ripped puppet named Beth with him. Their in the engine room which rumor has it dampens his ripping. You want to keep him or misplace him. Jesus what an island, Swordies, Zho's stowaways, pirates, jackers and practitioners of barratry."

This message was last edited by the player at 23:14, Mon 09 June 2014.

Ignatius Maor
 player, 40 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Tue 10 Jun 2014
at 13:34
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
In a dry voice Ignatius responds to Steve's rant "You forgot hitchhiker."
Steve Cable
 Player, 93 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Wed 11 Jun 2014
at 00:18
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Sorry."
Arc Tangent
 Player, 19 posts
Wed 11 Jun 2014
at 00:49
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Yes, it certainly was a confluence of events... or at least people," Arc quips. "IM is the only odd-man out, since the rest of us were here because of the ship."

"And IM wound up here because of the invasion, so it all makes sense... the only real issue is that we're all here at the same time! Some would say it was Fate."

Kraig Pars
 Player, 91 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Wed 11 Jun 2014
at 02:57
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
[From Engineering]

Kraig enters the bridge and watches the action for a bit.  "I can help with sensors or piloting if need be guys."
Steve Cable
 Player, 96 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Wed 11 Jun 2014
at 03:42
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"We're loaded with experts up here."

"Anyone have gunnery skill?"

Vermeer Drex
 player, 45 posts
 Agent/Comms
 997A77
Wed 11 Jun 2014
at 13:47
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"That escape pod is getting further away. We need to get up and out there after it."

Matter-of-fact rather than impatient, Drex reminded everyone present of the stated facts, and waited for someone to act upon it.
Steve Cable
 Player, 97 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Wed 11 Jun 2014
at 14:02
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Hold your horses. Rash gets you killed, we're accelerating and should reach escape velocity in a few minutes. Then we clear the van Allens at which point we become visible to every Swordie in near orbit."

"Steady Gahler."


Watches Baroness slip off bridge.
Ignatius Maor
 player, 41 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Wed 11 Jun 2014
at 15:15
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
IM "Yea, besides Sensors, I can handle a turret.". Looking over his shoulder at Kraig "How good are you at sensors, just incase I need to move to a Gunner position?"
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 55 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Wed 11 Jun 2014
at 21:36
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"I am steady. Where are the Swordie pickets currently?" Gahler replied as he eased the ship into an escape vector from the invaded planet.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 92 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Wed 18 Jun 2014
at 01:30
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig stepped over toward IM.  "I can handle a sensors board decently although I'm no expert.  I've never worked a turret so it might be better to have me back you up here on the sensors station."
StarMaster
 GM, 98 posts
 Referee
Wed 18 Jun 2014
at 03:27
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
The flight plan over the water takes the Dust Runner around the curve of the planet away from the capitol city. The three Swordie ships are holding position over the capitol.

The planet doesn't have a lot of communities, and they are all small and near the capitol.

By waiting until on the other side of the planet, the ship can head off into space using the planet itself to block sensors.

You can accelerate while in the planet's umbra, but silent running once out of the umbra is advisable, at least until you put enough distance between you and the picket ships.
Steve Cable
 Player, 100 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Sat 21 Jun 2014
at 16:54
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Change course to intercept the signal."

"Everything passive, power down unessentials."


Comm

"Engineering power down everything but thrust. we need reduce signature."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 57 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Sun 22 Jun 2014
at 10:22
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"You have a plot to the signal Steve?" Gahler asked.
"What happens if this is just a sneaky Swordie trap. We will be so screwed."
Steve Cable
 Player, 101 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Sun 22 Jun 2014
at 11:46
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Slater is sitting at the Nav station. Check with him."

Eyes Slater.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 58 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Sun 22 Jun 2014
at 12:01
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Darn Nav, get me a plot to this signal and an exit path." Gahler growled.
StarMaster
 GM, 100 posts
 Referee
Tue 24 Jun 2014
at 03:19
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
As you are plotting the course for the escape pod, you see that the signal has changed direction... plotting the new course shows that it is now heading out toward the asteroid belt.

This makes it a little trickier because if the Swordies detect you, you won't be heading for a jump point if they pursue.


New intercept course is laid in, and the Dust Runner goes into 'silent running' mode. Low impulse engines aren't easily detectable unless the enemy is actively searching for them.

The ship makes it out to about half way to the asteroid belt before their signature is picked up by the Swordies.

Their fast packet ship suddenly fires up its engines and sets off on an intercept course for the Dust Runner.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 59 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Tue 24 Jun 2014
at 08:45
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Time to make a choice folks. We running or going for the pod cause we can't do both." Gahler growled as the bridge lit up with the active sensor sweep.
Steve Cable
 Player, 102 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Tue 24 Jun 2014
at 11:48
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Pursue the pod, maximum speed T2."

Checks Nav plot.

"Course x32 by y16 axis z112. P is 340"

"Looks like we need turret manned."

"Need Shamus or ARC to get on the comp, Ritter will have disabled the transponder. Need to know if he left any replacement ones, need  Sword, Zho or Federation of Arden transponder. I speak Swordie and we have a Zho aboard so we can speak any necessary language.

Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 60 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Tue 24 Jun 2014
at 12:27
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Why not ditch a fake transponder in a barrel with a battery with a time delay." Gahler suggested, "Surely the engineers can cook up something to distract the Swordies." Gahler trims the ship's direction so it is exactly Steve's suggested course.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:30, Tue 24 June 2014.

Steve Cable
 Player, 103 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Tue 24 Jun 2014
at 12:50
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Cuz we're on their screens already. Though that might work in the belt. But I suspect they are at least double our speed and they might catch up before we get to the belt."

"Sensors you got a read on the ship class or it's acceleration?

Kraig Pars
 Player, 93 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Wed 25 Jun 2014
at 04:23
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig spoke up; "I'd say we try the Zho.  It would throw them off and they are allies of a sort."
StarMaster
 GM, 102 posts
 Referee
Wed 25 Jun 2014
at 07:15
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
The ship in pursuit is an 800-ton fast ship with thrust-4 rating.

You can go full burn and easily reach the escape pod before the pursuit catches you. Getting to a jump point may be harder. There are two many unknown variables to accurately predict this at the moment, but the closer the two ships get, the more factors will be determined.

Current status on the Dust Runner is as follows.

BRIDGE
Command: Steve
  Pilot: Gahler
  Comms: Vermeer
Sensors: Kraig
Gunnery: IM

ENGINEERING
 Engineer: Shamus
Assistant: Stez
Eye-candy: Beth (NPC)

AT LARGE
Security: Jyro (NPC)
 Roaming: Arc
     ???: Mara
     ???: Kara
 Medical: ???

QUARTERS
Captain/owner: Luise

ESCAPE POD (not aboard ship... yet)
Randy
Roland


Luise has temporarily turned command over to Steve.
Jyro is temporary; he'll leave the ship at the first stop probably.
Arc can relieve Vermeer at comms.
IM doesn't really need to be in the turret, since the Swordie ship won't reach you for several hours.

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:18, Wed 25 June 2014.

Steve Cable
 Player, 104 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Wed 25 Jun 2014
at 12:40
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"That we shall do."

Comm

"Engineering send the Worthy Zhodani Gentleman to the bridge. Also check to see if Ritter added any false transponders to the ships hull, a Zho one would be handy if unlikely."
Shamus O'Donnell
 player, 59 posts
Wed 25 Jun 2014
at 15:29
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Shamus carefully (adding time DM) checks the engineering logs/diagnostics, seeing if any of the transponders have been altered...
10:27, Today: Shamus O'Donnell rolled 14 using 2d6+2 with rolls of 6,6. +1 Skill, +1 time, check engineering. Whhhoooo...Max.
Stezfialtlsche
 player, 34 posts
 X-Military Psion
 Zhodani
Wed 25 Jun 2014
at 16:01
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
ENGINEERING
Stez hears the usual crass remarks from Mr Cable and leaves to go to the bridge and proceeds to make his way there.

BRIDGE

Stez's stops in the doorway to the bridge. "I was requested to report to the bridge. How may I humbly be of service.?"
Steve Cable
 Player, 105 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Wed 25 Jun 2014
at 18:20
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Ah Stetz?"

"There is a Swordie pursuit ship behind us. I'd like you to contact them and inform them this is a Zho...dani ship and you are responding to a distress beacon. If they ask questions you can say you were on an island, was detained by locals at the liberation and just now escaped after disposing of your captors. Do it in your native language. I know we have no transponder and this is a brand new ship class so it isn't in Sword recognition books."

"Are you able to do that?"

Stezfialtlsche
 player, 35 posts
 X-Military Psion
 Zhodani
Wed 25 Jun 2014
at 23:44
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
He stops stares a Cable. "Sure, but i hope this mean I now have your trust.?" With that he turns and nods to the person controlling the Comms.

Spoken in Zhodani. "This is Stezfialtlsche of the Zhodani Guards Regiment. Please state the nature of you coarse change."


-------------------------
OOC:
disregard the psi power usage as i was nto paying attention to the correct distance.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:40, Thu 26 June 2014.

StarMaster
 GM, 104 posts
 Referee
Thu 26 Jun 2014
at 09:50
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Hell no! You're half way to the asteroid belt at this point... or around 160 MILLION km from the other ship.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 94 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sat 28 Jun 2014
at 02:15
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig maintains the sensors lock on the other ship.  Given that they had been detected he used the active sensors to better keep track of them.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 61 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Tue 1 Jul 2014
at 20:09
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Keeping the ship on the plot given, Gahler glanced to Steve and shrugged. Uncertain to how this play would work with the Swordies.
StarMaster
 GM, 105 posts
 Referee
Tue 1 Jul 2014
at 21:44
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
There's a significant delay before the reply comes over the radio.

"This is Captain Arkham! Lanth is under martial law! You were not authorized to depart the planet, nor are you authorized to depart the system. Reverse course immediately or you will be destroyed!"

As Stez is trying to pick up the surface thoughts of the person on the other end of the communication, he realizes that he's way beyond any range he's every heard of--it's past planetary distance and in the interplanetary range!

No one is more shocked than he is, though, when he actually seems to get something!
Steve Cable
 Player, 106 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Wed 2 Jul 2014
at 00:36
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Steve translates the Swordie response.  Smiles

"Advise him acknowledged we will begin breaking and return and will capture your Impie target. Tell him how much the Thought Police aboard look forward to meeting him in person."

"Gahler SLOW 180 degree flip. Big break burst; then very gradual keep on course to SOS."

Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 62 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Wed 2 Jul 2014
at 12:14
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Aye Aye."
Gahler puts the ship into a 180 degree flip, easing the acceleration to the SOS beacon as instructed.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 95 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Tue 8 Jul 2014
at 03:26
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig sweeps the area ahead of them with the sensors, especially their target.
StarMaster
 GM, 106 posts
 Referee
Tue 8 Jul 2014
at 08:17
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Bleh. Holiday weekend got the better of me...


It's going to be very, very tight. The Dust Runner has to brake in order to pick up the escape pod, but the pursuit ship doesn't, since, presumably, they will just shoot to destroy you.

You reach the escape pod with about a half hour before the pursuit ship reaches you. The good news is that you are already on the edge of the asteroid belt. You'll be able to maneuver within the belt far better than the pursuit ship, which will also have to fly-by and then break.

At that point, it'll be cat-and-mouse.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 63 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Tue 8 Jul 2014
at 12:23
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"So how we going to snatch this escape Pod?"
"You want it in the cargo bay as we fly by?"
Gahler asked hoping this wasn't going to be the grand plan.
Steve Cable
 Player, 108 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Tue 8 Jul 2014
at 12:29
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Why not; get Kraig to assist, he claims to be a hot pilot."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 64 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Tue 8 Jul 2014
at 12:33
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Has anyone secured all the stuff in the cargo bay?" Gahler replied, "what are you going to use as a catching harness for the pod assuming we get it into the hold without bouncing it off the walls?"
Steve Cable
 Player, 109 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Tue 8 Jul 2014
at 12:57
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"The pod is unpowered, match course and speed, bring it inside and let some boffin clamp it down with gravitics."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 96 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Thu 10 Jul 2014
at 01:50
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig shakes his head but he stands anyway.  "I'm a pilot not a cowboy snatching things out of mid air." He frowned.  "I'd assume the cargo is secured but we've got a half hour to check and make preparations.  We should be able to secure the pod down with standard cargo tie downs.  The trick will be getting it into the cargo bay.  Also, do we have a cargo air lock or will we need to depressurize the entire bay?"
Steve Cable
 Player, 110 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Thu 10 Jul 2014
at 03:10
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"The cargo bay is under the hull. So we match course and speed and drop over the pod, secure it with gravitics. Yes it has to be depressurized."
Arc Tangent
 Player, 20 posts
Thu 10 Jul 2014
at 04:19
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"You can do it, Kraig," Arc encourages. "Just be a leaf in the wind."

"What about you, Stez? I don't know about any of this psi-stuff, but any chance you can make that pursuit ship zig when it should zag?"

Arc figured he probably knew as much about psi as he did about piloting... which was exactly nada. On the other hand, sometimes 'wild and crazy' actually worked.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:20, Thu 10 July 2014.

Stezfialtlsche
 player, 36 posts
 X-Military Psion
 Zhodani
Fri 11 Jul 2014
at 02:59
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
In reply to Arc Tangent (msg # 89):

He looks over at Arc "Sure, I can try" and with that Stez sits and stares out into space at the ship looking to contact the mind of the pilot.

OOC: Send Thoughts - "Do not pursue they are allies".
21:58, Today: Stezfialtlsche rolled 11 using 2d6+2 with rolls of 6,3. = PASS, woot
Cost 2+3=5

StarMaster
 GM, 107 posts
 Referee
Sat 12 Jul 2014
at 04:33
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
The other ship is still about 4,000 miles away but closing fast, so the cost will be 6.


Stez has no problem sending his thoughts to the other ship. While he's specifically targeting the pilot, he's not quite focused enough, and actually sends his thoughts to everyone on the bridge. That's a good thing, since the pilot wouldn't have the authorization to change course anyway.

It takes a few seconds, maybe half a minute, before the pursuit ship alters its course, makes a wide turn and heads back in system.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 65 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Sat 12 Jul 2014
at 07:03
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Gahler slows the ship a little more to make the target a little easier to snatch from the dark embrace of deep space.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 97 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sun 13 Jul 2014
at 06:39
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Well, I'll try not to fly out the air lock and into open space."  Kraig secured his panel and rose.  "I'll be preparing in the cargo bay.  Keep me informed of the progress so I can be ready."

He headed out toward the cargo bay.

[To Cargo Bay]
Ignatius Maor
 player, 43 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Wed 16 Jul 2014
at 18:03
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
IM up until now has been watching the sensors from the Gunner station. As they get closer to the pod brings the Laser out of standby.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 66 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Fri 18 Jul 2014
at 02:50
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
With the pod in, Gahler turned the ship again 180 and eased it out system quietly while conserving the precious fuel they had onboard.
Steve Cable
 Player, 111 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Fri 18 Jul 2014
at 03:13
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Jump to Victoria. You might want to call the Baroness to the bridge. I'm going down to cargo."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 67 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Fri 18 Jul 2014
at 03:25
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Shouldn't you take the Baroness with you to see what is in the pod?" Gahler asked.
Steve Cable
 Player, 112 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Fri 18 Jul 2014
at 03:28
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"That's her decision to make."


To cargo
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 69 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Fri 18 Jul 2014
at 03:34
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Fair call."
"Don't let them toss the pod out either. We can use it as a decoy if needed. Should get someone to wire it up to squark if needed when we arrive after the jump."

StarMaster
 GM, 111 posts
 Referee
Wed 23 Jul 2014
at 23:59
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
The ship has no problem reaching the jump point now. Everything is working smoothly.

With the course set for Victoria, the Dust Runner makes the jump.

The ship now spends one week in jump space.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 70 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Thu 24 Jul 2014
at 10:29
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"We are safely in Jump space folks. Time to plan our next course of action." Gahler announced on the Coms.
"All meet in the lounge near the galley."
Gahler switched the ship to auto, with alarms if anything starts to go sideways.
StarMaster
 GM, 117 posts
 Referee
Thu 31 Jul 2014
at 05:00
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
The week in J-space passes as dully and uneventfully as normal. Predicted exit time is now 1 hour away.


If there's anything else you want to do during that time, feel free to continue posting in other parts of the ship.
Ignatius Maor
 player, 50 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Fri 1 Aug 2014
at 14:53
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
IM will move into the Gunner station, run diagnostics on the weapons and set them on stand by per protocol.
StarMaster
 GM, 119 posts
 Referee
Sun 3 Aug 2014
at 20:38
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
During the week in J-space, the ship's contents and inventory are examined and evaluated. There are two things of particular interest.

First of all, there is some cargo in the hold. The cargo manifest lists it as follows:

Lot #1: 10 tons; A-B Ni Cr4,000 Pharmaceuticals

Lot #2:  8 tons; A-B Ni Cr4,000 Mixed (clothes; books; music)

Lot #3:  5 tons; A-B Ni Cr4,000 Consumables (energy health drinks)


The second point is that there are air, food and water supplies sufficient for a crew of 20 for six months.


One hour before expected J-space exit, the ship drops out of J-space. Alarms immediately begin sounding.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 81 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Sun 3 Aug 2014
at 22:18
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Gahler bolts for the bridge, sliding into the couch. "Damnation."
He switches to M- drives and jinks the ship to the port.
Steve Cable
 Player, 132 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Sun 3 Aug 2014
at 22:21
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Steve shows up, looks for Baroness, steals captains chair.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 113 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Mon 4 Aug 2014
at 04:48
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
[From Galley]

Kraig heads to the sensor operators station and switches on the sensors.  He takes a passive scan first before going active.
StarMaster
 GM, 120 posts
 Referee
Mon 4 Aug 2014
at 05:12
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Once the sensors are on, they pick up... nothing. There is nothing in the immediate area that would have triggered the proximity alarms.

Kraig quickly determines that the alarm was because of the potential 'misjump'. Having emerged from J-space an hour earlier than it should have, the alarm sounded to alert everyone to the possibility of a hazardous condition.

There was nearly a .6% deviation from the expected emergent time. That could have been potentially dangerous. A .1% is the standard acceptable variation, and proper astrogation usually puts it around the .01%.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 114 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Mon 4 Aug 2014
at 05:55
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Nothing on passive sensors, going active."  Kraig goes active and quickly shakes his head. "Nothing in the immediate area, we're safe for now."  He shakes his head.  "Coming out early is not good.  We should fix our position and trouble shoot the course and equipment."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 82 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Mon 4 Aug 2014
at 13:12
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"We going in silently or at full burn?" Gahler glances to the Captain's chair.
Steve Cable
 Player, 134 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Tue 5 Aug 2014
at 00:57
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Quiet, we don't know where we are yet. Say didn't we three start this gig as a crew?"

"Computer, computer, where are we?"


Sets up Nav check to see star patterns.

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 11:01, Tue 05 Aug 2014.

StarMaster
 GM, 122 posts
 Referee
Tue 5 Aug 2014
at 02:39
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Steve has no problem determining the ship is where it's supposed to be. It came out of J-space at 110 diameters from the outer gas giant in the system, above the ecliptic. That one is called Delve. The closer gas giant is Grabthar's Rings because it has... rings.


Active sensors show that there are 12 planets in the system, originally named Hanover. Hanover V is Grabthar's Rings, while Hanover VII is Delve.

The sensors show no ships in the system.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 115 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Tue 5 Aug 2014
at 06:09
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Scan shows no ships in the system.  There may be military ships that we can't pick up but nothing obvious.  There should be some kind of beacon for the interdiction.  I say we burn inbound to the main planet.  We can land on the planet and get water for unrefined fuel or maybe the moon."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 83 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Tue 5 Aug 2014
at 11:54
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"This is Victoria system or did we misjump?" Gahler queried.
Steve Cable
 Player, 136 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Tue 5 Aug 2014
at 12:08
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"We do seem to be in Victoria system, but out by gas giant."

"Head in we need to get water to refuel, since cheapo the debt skipper didn't order scoops."

Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 84 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Tue 5 Aug 2014
at 12:18
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Ok. In we go." Gahler increased speed inwards so they could refuel.
"Any chatter on the coms?"
Kraig Pars
 Player, 116 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Wed 6 Aug 2014
at 20:49
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Let me check the standard channels."  Kraig brought up the comms and scanned the spectrum.
Steve Cable
 Player, 137 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Wed 6 Aug 2014
at 20:58
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
On Screen

VICTORIA: X697770-4

ALBERT: E251000-0

RED ZONE
NO SATELLITE INTERDICTORS
SCOUT OR NAVY PATROLS MONITOR RED ZONE

WORLD ALLOWED TO DEVELOP ON OWN WITH LITTLE METAL

StarMaster
 GM, 124 posts
 Referee
Thu 7 Aug 2014
at 00:45
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Once the ship is under way, it moves away from the gas giant and away from the heavy communication interference it is causing. Upon realizing this, it's easy enough to filter out the static and such.

As soon as you do that, you pick up two signals. One is the indiction beacon, which seems to only transmit every 10 minutes.

The second is coming from the gas giant itself. Analysis shows that it is being received now for three reasons: filter out the interference, the ship having moved, and the rotation of the gas giant.

It's a distress signal coming from a facility identifying itself as Sky Rig One. The library is able to provide some information; it just wasn't in the Victoria file. Sky Rig One is a sub-orbital fuel refinery and refueling station for the squadron that's supposed to be stationed here, and for the infrequent visitors. It also doubles as a research station.
Steve Cable
 Player, 138 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Thu 7 Aug 2014
at 01:18
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Huh a refueling station? Head for it full stealth. Could be trap."

"Go passive keep listening for other ships.

Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 85 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Thu 7 Aug 2014
at 04:08
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"You want the M-drive off line too?" Gahler queried.
Steve Cable
 Player, 139 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Thu 7 Aug 2014
at 09:54
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Only after our course and speed are set."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 86 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Thu 7 Aug 2014
at 10:19
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Gahler jinked the ship a few more changes before switching off the M-drive and letting it drift inward.
Ignatius Maor
 player, 51 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Thu 7 Aug 2014
at 11:27
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
IM is using the targeting sensors to scan, passively, for the presence of any thing that could be hostile.
StarMaster
 GM, 127 posts
 Referee
Fri 8 Aug 2014
at 02:18
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
The sensors still aren't picking up anything in space other than the interdiction beacons. Apparently there are six of them scattered around the system, but only one of them is close enough to be picked up as a strong signal. The others are far away and faint.

The refinery is down in the upper atmosphere of the gas giant. It appears to be in a stable orbit.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 87 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Fri 8 Aug 2014
at 05:39
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Gahler does a rough calculation on time needed to reach the refinery.
Shamus O'Donnell
 player, 91 posts
Fri 8 Aug 2014
at 16:02
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Comms from Engineering:
"Internal sensors show that the spindizzy in the J-drive developed a 'wobble' when it came out of J-space. Normally, everything is synched such that the drive shuts down the instant it's back in N-space. In this case, it took an extra second for that to happen. That's how the wobble occurred. What caused it never appeared on the sensors--at least not down here in Engineering--but the only thing known to cause that is when a ship drops out of J-space because the field hits a strong gravity well.

I'm guessing that there is or was some sort of gravitic anomaly in the area. It might have only been momentary. However, sensors might want to run a more detailed scan for gravitic anomalies...it also might have to do with whatever is going on at the research station."

Kraig Pars
 Player, 117 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sat 9 Aug 2014
at 07:52
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig scans the comm channels.  "No other readings or chatter.  I'll keep an eye peeled.  IM, I'll run an analysis for Shamus if you want to keep focused on the station."  He calls on the comms.  "Describe what I'm looking for Shamus and I'll scan for an anomaly."
Shamus O'Donnell
 player, 92 posts
Sat 9 Aug 2014
at 13:06
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Comms from Eng.

"Well, other than normal spatial bodies..uhhhh...there's several natural things that can create temporal gravity fields; discharges from a sun, a drastic/fast shifting of heavy metals in a planet, and the standard "crazy space stuff".

Or, something that might appear as a gravitic anomaly... any very strong magnetic change/electrical burst..."


You hear what sounds like the flipping of pages...

"So, check for those...or basically anything abnormal that would have interfered with the j-drive...think strong gravity."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 120 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sat 9 Aug 2014
at 22:25
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig frowns.  "Ok Shamus, I'll look for anything that might cause an anomaly.  Not sure I can find gravitational anomalies with these instruments and my skills but magnetics might show up on the passive sensors."  He turns to looking through the sensors and comms data right after they jumped to see what might have interfered with the spin dizzy.
Ignatius Maor
 player, 52 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Sun 10 Aug 2014
at 15:36
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
IM switches his station to Sensors and starts coordinating the readings with the onboard library data searching for what may have caused the anomaly.

10:24, Today: Ignatius Maor rolled 6 using 2d6+1 with rolls of 4,1. Int +1.
StarMaster
 GM, 129 posts
 Referee
Sun 10 Aug 2014
at 17:54
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
The biggest problem is that the gravity field existed when the ship was in J-space and the sensors weren't functional. However, because of the slim but very real possibility of imminent collision upon exiting J-space, the sensors automatically go active. As it turns out, they did pick up the tail end of a quickly fading gravitic burst.

Kraig has no problem determining that, and even analyzing the intensity. It wasn't very large really, only about the size of a small planet. Being that close to the gas giant, Kraig's first thought is that it might have been a moon, but the sensors indicate that Delve's four moons are still intact and where they are supposed to be. So are the 17 moons of the other gas giant.

On top of that, if it had been a rogue asteroid or other physical body, it'd still be there in the vicinity, unless it was moving at superluminal velocities. The sensors can't detect any such body.


IM has a bit more success. While he detects the same things, he is also able to detect a faint trail of gravitons. Not quite ready to buy into the 'crazy space stuff' theory, IM figures there had to be a cause/source of the gravitic burst or pulse... he can't quite decide or determine which it was.

Like the burst, though, the trail is fading fast. It also wasn't a straight line. It was some sort of curve. He loses it after about 100 million miles... not quite long enough to determine a full plot of the curve, or to determine it was a consistent curve, but it seems to have come from in-system.

What worries him the most is that it may have been intentional. There is nothing in any of his knowledge that indicates a ship in J-space can be detected let alone targeted.
Shamus O'Donnell
 player, 94 posts
Sun 10 Aug 2014
at 20:18
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
OOC: calling Montgomery Scott...
Kraig Pars
 Player, 121 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sun 10 Aug 2014
at 22:55
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig shares his data with IM and Shamus.  "There was some kind of anomaly, moon or small planet sized but if it was here when we Jumped out it's long gone now.  That's really, really odd. I'm not any kind of expert in the weird stuff.  What did you get IM?"
Ignatius Maor
 player, 53 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Mon 11 Aug 2014
at 15:03
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
IM relates the information his research found. "It is strange. You may be right and we may have passed close by a rogue asteroid or meteoroid that's too far away to see now or... Or, I don't even know if this is possible mind you, we could have passed close by a large ship in jump space? Uh... going the other way? It would have been a very large ship."

Pausing to look back at his readings he holds up his hands with a palm up gesture "Whatever, it was moving in a curved trajectory like a ballistic arc and throwing off a lot of gravitons. Almost like something shot a gravitic pulse or missile at us."

Again looking at the monitor in front of him, IM says "Hell I don't know. I've never come across anything like this in all my time with the IISS."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 122 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Tue 12 Aug 2014
at 06:56
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig shook his head.  "It's nothing that we can see on our scopes.  If it was a small moon we would still see it.  Do they even have some kind of graviton gun?"
Steve Cable
 Player, 141 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Tue 12 Aug 2014
at 09:51
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"The planet was subjected to a bombardment by asteroids. Probably in the Ancients War 300,000 years ago. There is an ancients city on Albert. It's empty and few visit it anymore. If there is weird stuff here, it could be ancient's tech."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 123 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sat 16 Aug 2014
at 06:16
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig shook his head.  "Well, if there were Ancients about here what we saw or experienced could be just about anything."  He looks back to the instruments.  "Let's get the refueling done.  We really need to figure out some kind of bladder to allow us to jump across the rift."
StarMaster
 GM, 132 posts
 Referee
Fri 22 Aug 2014
at 18:23
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
There doesn't appear to be any new 'gravitic anomalies' as the ship approaches the gas giant. Also, sensors still don't detect any other ships in system at the moment. It is possible that they could be hiding behind or on a planet, but that wouldn't do them any good for intercepting you.

On the other hand, heading for the gas giant isn't likely to draw their attention anyway.

The automatic transponder codes that get swapped out between ship and bases/stations shows that Sky Rig One is a fairly new installation, and the information on it just hasn't been updated into the Dust Runner's computer before now. Prior to about a year ago, a fuel tender was kept in orbit, skimming the gas giant and refining fuel as needed for visiting ships.

Standard fuel costs have been maintained for that first year, but are expected to rise a bit sometime next month when the one-year anniversary of full operation arrives.


Nearing the gas giant, sensors pick up a significant amount of turbulence in the planet's atmosphere, including some doozies of a storm. At the present time, it'll take a Pilot check -1 DM to safely negotiate the turbulence to reach the station.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 88 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Fri 22 Aug 2014
at 20:51
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
With the ship about to reach the turbulence in the planet's atmosphere, Gahler tapped the shipwide com, "Attention all. Atmospheric turbulence will be rough for planetary entry. Please strap in for the ride."

Taking the ship out of the silent drift to the planet, Gahler tweaked the entry vector to Sky Rig One.
"We need to announce ourselves, though flaring the M-drives should wake up the systems down there if manned."



06:43, Sat 23 Aug 2014: Gahler Grohlson rolled 11 using 2d6+3 ((4,4)).
Kraig Pars
 Player, 125 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sat 23 Aug 2014
at 00:19
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig straps in as he notes the storms.  As they approach he points out the worst of the turbulence to Gahler and tries to aid his approach as much as he can.
Steve Cable
 Player, 143 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Sat 23 Aug 2014
at 00:21
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"They should spot us, then contact us."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 127 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sat 23 Aug 2014
at 00:22
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
OOC: Did we turn our transponder off?  If it's on they know about us already.
StarMaster
 GM, 134 posts
 Referee
Sat 23 Aug 2014
at 17:00
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
The hijackers had turned off the Dust Runner's transponder so that they couldn't be tracked. That was one of the reasons the Swordies pursued.

The station's transponder is still working normally, and the Dust Runner's sensors picked it up.

The other transponder in question came from the escape pod. It activates automatically when the pod is jettisoned, and shuts off automatically once it's been rescued.

So the Dust Runner isn't in communication with the station.


There is no other communication from the station. Even the distress transmission has ceased. If the station's sensors are detecting the Dust Runner, it's giving no indication.
Steve Cable
 Player, 145 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Sat 23 Aug 2014
at 18:17
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Comm

"All hands and passengers. We are approaching an unknown station that transmitted a distress call then went black. Gear up for combat. Steen looks like your back on the government payroll. I'll leave it to you to get people ready."

"Gahler make a slow pass at station, we'll take a look for damage, other ships and signs of life, lights and the best entry point."

Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 90 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Sat 23 Aug 2014
at 22:07
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"One slow pass coming up Skipper." Gahler replied.
Steve Cable
 Player, 147 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Sat 23 Aug 2014
at 22:42
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Kraig go active for 10 seconds after we pass. Gahler hug us close to station as soon as he ends active."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 91 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Sun 24 Aug 2014
at 01:21
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Roger Skipper." Gahler replied as he complied with the Skipper's wishes.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 128 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Mon 25 Aug 2014
at 02:48
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig frowned as they approached the station.  "I'm ready to go active Steve.  We should hail them as we approach as well."

As they made their close approach he pinged the station and the nearby area with an active sensor pulse.
StarMaster
 GM, 135 posts
 Referee
Tue 26 Aug 2014
at 03:30
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
As the ship approaches the station, there is an automated response to the pinging.

*Welcome to Sky Rig One. If you wish to refuel here, please dock at Bay One. A docking beacon will guide you in.*


There is no response to being hailed.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 92 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Tue 26 Aug 2014
at 07:42
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Gahler sweeps past Skyrig one, before turning back towards Bay 1
Ignatius Maor
 player, 56 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Tue 26 Aug 2014
at 14:56
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
IM sets his Gunnery station on standby and gets up. "Not much I can do here, I'll go give the boarding party a hand."  He goes to his cabin grabs his gear and heads to join the others at the airlock.
StarMaster
 GM, 136 posts
 Referee
Tue 26 Aug 2014
at 15:48
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
The station is actually in the atmosphere of the gas giant, so there wouldn't be any ship debris around it; it'd all have been swept away almost instantly. But the sensors don't pick up any debris in orbit or nearby space.

Ranging sensors pick up the station as a large teardrop shape. Visual sensors can't even see it until you are practically on top of it. There are no signs of damage or battle to the outside of the station.

As the ship approaches the docking beacon, large docking bay doors slide open to allow entry into the interior of the station. Once inside, the doors close and the bad atmosphere is pumped out.

Sensors can now pick up more detail. The habitation area is roughly a large cube in the center of the teardrop, fastened to the surrounding shell by huge structural beams.

The lower half of the teardrop is mostly massive fuel storage tanks, all of which are full.

The middle section of the teardrop is the docking bays for refueling.

The top of the teardop seems to be empty.

Sensors can pick up a number of active electrical and electronic sections around the ship, but there are also several that appear to be off-line, perhaps just powered down when not in use.

The automatated docking systems appear to be working as the Dust Runner is docked. That's where it ends. If the refueling is supposed to be automated, it's not working.

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:51, Tue 26 Aug 2014.

Steve Cable
 Player, 148 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Tue 26 Aug 2014
at 20:33
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"I'm gonna have to set up fuel hose manually."

Comm

"Steen let's go, who's good with electronics."

Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 93 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Wed 27 Aug 2014
at 03:04
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Gahler powered down the ship.
"We going to have a look around or just grab the fuel and scarper?"
Roland Steen
 player, 37 posts
Wed 27 Aug 2014
at 04:14
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"at the airlock, ready when you are.."
Steve Cable
 Player, 151 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Wed 27 Aug 2014
at 09:56
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Grab the fuel, then look around, might be something here useful."

Comm

"Bad, Ghost Ship."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 94 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Wed 27 Aug 2014
at 12:40
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"See ya at the airlock Skipper." Gahler headed to his stateroom to grab his flak jacket and weapons.
Steve Cable
 Player, 191 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Tue 25 Nov 2014
at 14:10
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Steve heads to bridge and looks around to see if rest of crew went Low.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 162 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Wed 26 Nov 2014
at 01:55
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig comes up from down below and looks about.  "We've only got a few minutes Steve, is everyone onboard?"  In the absence of another pilot he straps himself into the pilot's station and brings up the controls.

"All hands prepare for boost.  Strap in, this might be rough."  He prepared to disengage the ship from the base.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:58, Wed 26 Nov 2014.

Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 128 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Wed 26 Nov 2014
at 04:23
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
OOC: I had posted in wrong thread. Gahler had been prepping ship in bridge for hasty exit.
IC: With Kraig sliding into the couch next to him. "You want to do the lift off?"
"Ship is ready for launch once the air locks are sealed and folk are strapped in."

Kraig should see the check lists have been done.
Steve Cable
 Player, 192 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Wed 26 Nov 2014
at 07:10
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Computer, lock all external hatches, set condition Zed."

"Launch, anyone not aboard can guard the station. We'll head for Albert for now."

Kraig Pars
 Player, 163 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Wed 26 Nov 2014
at 08:10
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig smiled at Gahler.  "Sure, I'd love to take her out if you don't mind Gahler."  He confirmed that the checklists were complete and the ship ready to go.  He looked down as the telltales started to turn green.

"Locks shut, umbilical connections open, docking bay retracted.  We have a green board, ready to thrust."  Kraig pressed a button in the cloud of holodynamic controls.  "Stand by to boost," as the alarm sounded.  "Three, two one... boost."

Kraig engaged the M-drive and thrusters and moved the ship quickly away from the station and up out of orbit.  He kept the ship angled to minimize the effect of the storms.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 129 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Wed 26 Nov 2014
at 08:48
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Gahler nodded, leaned back into the couch and enjoyed the ride.
Ignatius Maor
 player, 75 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Wed 26 Nov 2014
at 17:27
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
IM moves to a bridge station and start sensor sweep of the surrounding space while keeping a eye on the approaching storm as Kraig takes the pilot position.
StarMaster
 GM, 170 posts
 Referee
Sat 29 Nov 2014
at 03:35
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
A second after the airlock closes, the Dust Runner disengages from docking. There's a momentary delay in the outer ship bay airlock opening, but it manages to do so at the last minute. The outer winds whip into the docking bay and shake the ship a bit as it slips out of the bay.

The upper atmosphere of a gas giant isn't a picnic on a normal day, and despite Kraig's efforts, the super-winds grab the Dust Runner and sweep it away from the station. Kraig at least manages to keep the ship from slamming into the rig. It takes slightly less effort to wrench the ship upward and out of the atmosphere altogether. The ship doesn't have enough acceleration right off the bat to avoid the front of the storm, though, so Kraig's got the ship halfway around the planet before he can get out.

IM still picks up nothing in the nearby space, at least nothing that was there when the energy that the sensors detect would have been emitted.

Roland manages to go through his routine despite getting tossed around as the winds buffet the ship.

In the aftermath, the ride doesn't seem as hairy as it did while it was happening, but now the ship is free and clear in space.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 164 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sat 29 Nov 2014
at 07:00
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig stabilized the ship in orbit as they struggled out of the storm.  "That was damn rough.  All the more reason to stay out of the planetary atmospheres."  He brought the ship into a geosynchronous orbit matching the location of the Sky Rig.  "Do we head on into the main world or wait the storm out and finish refueling?"
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 130 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Sat 29 Nov 2014
at 13:40
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Gahler shrugged, "we need the fuel to make the jumps."
Steve Cable
 Player, 193 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Sat 29 Nov 2014
at 14:40
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Head to Victoria we'll land on Albert. I'm betting none of you have seen an intact Ancient city."
Ignatius Maor
 player, 76 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Sat 29 Nov 2014
at 23:18
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
IM smiles "Nothing I can talk about." Then realizing that nerves from the close call with the storm have lead to an indiscretion tries to change the subject "Did I ever tell you about the planet named for me? I wanted to be IM's Folly but the pencil pushers didn't care for than and just called the rock Maor."
Steve Cable
 Player, 194 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Sat 29 Nov 2014
at 23:26
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Scratches temple.

"I don't recall a planet by that name so spin away."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 165 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sun 30 Nov 2014
at 00:07
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig nodded and began to set the course.  "Albert it is.  I've always wanted to see an Ancients site."  After a few minutes he had the course set and engaged the engines at maximum thrust.  "Course settled, we'll be a bit less than a week making the run."

OOC: Assuming a run from roughly a Saturn orbit to an Earth orbit at 2G constant thrust.
Ignatius Maor
 player, 77 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Mon 1 Dec 2014
at 17:21
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
IM starts his story with a recitation style of speaking as if he's give the same story many times.
"It's amazing what happens went you get shot as your jumping. Misjumping. Damn Vargr pirates put a brace of laser blasts into our Scout ship just as we were jumping out. The lazy bastards hadn't hit a thing for the four hours they chased us and wham just as we jumped.
We ended up way out on the fringe over on the Corward side of the Darrians. Popped out over a burned out star that would be hard pressed to go up a midsized gas giant with a bunch of fried asteroid fields and one remaining pockmarked planet. After a week of getting everything back online and putting the remains of my partner in cold storage I surveyed the planet, as we Scouts do you know. In spite of all the classic signs of the sun going nova the planet was in fairly good shape considering one side was bombarded to hell by high velocity debris. I figured another planet or moon must have shielded it from the blast and it must have happened real fast.  The rock was cold as the backside of a dark star, but still intact. Mostly anyway.  I picked up some anomalies and took a short walk about and stumbled upon some ruins, lots, uh...  And that's all I can say. Really too much.
I took me eight months go get back to Imperial Space, I buried Frank and reported my find. Had a nice little secret ceremony and got a system, such as it is named after me."

IM grew silent for a moment gazing into the distance. "Oh, and the reason you've never heard of it and it's not on any charts. It's Red Zoned and classified. And I'm probably supposed to shoot all of you for hearing this."
Steve Cable
 Player, 195 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Tue 2 Dec 2014
at 00:06
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"We'll have to visit and trash it for loot."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 166 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Thu 4 Dec 2014
at 06:16
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
With the course set and the ship set on a constant boost, Kraig turned to listen to IM.  "Sounds like there would be a fair bit to loot if we could find the place again.  It might get us hauled off to a secret jail if we were found out."
Arc Tangent
 Player, 24 posts
Thu 4 Dec 2014
at 06:29
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"It's on the other side of nowhere!" Arc protested. "Who's going to be out there watching out for it?"

"Sorry about the Baroness," he says to Steve. "She didn't want to go cold, so unless I shot her, there wasn't much I could do about it. You did notice that she stayed out of the way, though, right?"

"Mara, Kara, Jyro, Nathaniel, Randy, Stez, Beth and Vermeer are in coldsleep. Systems are all green."

Steve Cable
 Player, 197 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Thu 4 Dec 2014
at 12:41
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Stev nods approvingly at ARC.

"See we have a lifetime goal."
Ignatius Maor
 player, 78 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Thu 4 Dec 2014
at 21:38
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
IM smirks a bit "If we don't get shot out of space, waylaid by the Darrians and don't mind a round trip of a year. Oh, and it's not too far from the Zho I believe."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 167 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Fri 5 Dec 2014
at 07:10
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig laughed.  "I'll stick with just getting the hell out of here and behind the enemy lines.  I've no desire to go off looking for a ghost planet."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 131 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Fri 5 Dec 2014
at 10:39
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Before we leave the gas giant can we collect any more fuel for the bladders?" Gahler queries.

OOC: Ship is Streamlined but no mention of fuel scoops.

This message was last edited by the player at 10:43, Fri 05 Dec 2014.

Steve Cable
 Player, 201 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Fri 5 Dec 2014
at 12:38
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"No scoops have to ocean refuel."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 132 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Fri 5 Dec 2014
at 19:18
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Lets hope we have enough fuel to make it then."
Steve Cable
 Player, 203 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Fri 5 Dec 2014
at 23:06
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"We have enough for a J-1, relax."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 168 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sat 6 Dec 2014
at 08:40
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig relaxed at his station.  "Let's set down on Albert or Victoria and fill up the tanks.  Jump one won't get us where we want to go."
Steve Cable
 Player, 204 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Sat 6 Dec 2014
at 11:19
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"We operate with water in the tanks we risk misjump. Better to wait on station fuel. We can gather fuel easier on Victoria then dump it if the station is still operational."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 170 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sat 6 Dec 2014
at 19:44
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig punches up the Library data.  "It's a 'D' starport on Victoria so we'll be facing unrefined fuel regardless.  If we want to wait for the storm to pass I can change course and put us in a cometary orbit around the gas giant to kill some time."

OOC: How long will the storm last, can we tell?"

StarMaster
 GM, 177 posts
 Referee
Mon 8 Dec 2014
at 01:55
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
There was no indication at the rig how long the storm would last. This one wasn't so much 'big' as it was powerful. It's the big storms that last months, even years.

The rig hadn't been online long enough to gather much information about the gas giant. The best estimate it was able to calculate was between 2-12 days.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 171 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Mon 8 Dec 2014
at 04:33
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig looks up from the instruments and data gained from the station.  "It could be a couple of days or almost two weeks that we'll need to wait out the storm."
StarMaster
 GM, 178 posts
 Referee
Fri 12 Dec 2014
at 04:43
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
So are you going to wait out the storm, or head to Victoria/Albert?
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 133 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Fri 12 Dec 2014
at 12:10
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Lets Jump. Staying here bring a greater chance of discovery." Gahler replied.
Steve Cable
 Player, 205 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Fri 12 Dec 2014
at 13:52
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"We don't have enough fuel to jump, we head in-system wait out storm, finish refueling make sure we're not infected. Then we see if beacon works, come back, if lost we get seawater."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 172 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sat 13 Dec 2014
at 07:53
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig considered the instruments.  "The duration of the storm is too uncertain.  I say we boost in-system and refuel there."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 134 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Sat 13 Dec 2014
at 09:35
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Well with that decided. I am off to the galley." Gahler climbed from the couch. "bellow when you wish relief Kraig."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 173 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Mon 15 Dec 2014
at 01:11
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig punched in the course to boost them to the mainworld.  "I'll give you a call in a bit Gahler.  Once we are out of the gas giant system things should be pretty automatic for a few days."
Steve Cable
 Player, 206 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Mon 15 Dec 2014
at 01:46
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Gahler don't forget all those recordings you picked up need viewing."
StarMaster
 GM, 179 posts
 Referee
Tue 16 Dec 2014
at 23:05
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
The Dust Runner heads in-system.

Because of the positions of the gas giant Victoria relative to each other, you are able to approach Victoria orbit in only 5 days.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 174 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Thu 18 Dec 2014
at 04:37
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig sets the ship's systems on automatic as he settles in to the long trip.  "We'll be about five days folks to the mainworld."
StarMaster
 GM, 180 posts
 Referee
Sun 28 Dec 2014
at 22:18
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Apologies for the delay. The holidays just wore me out!


Five uneventful days later, the Dust Runner is approaching Victoria/Albert. At this point, you can keep heading for Victoria or alter course to Albert. It's about 10 hours to Victoria, and 12 hours to Albert.

There are still no ships detectable in-system.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 175 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Mon 29 Dec 2014
at 06:37
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
As they approach the mainworld and its moon, Kraig will hail the star port and what should be the squadron interdicting Albert.
StarMaster
 GM, 182 posts
 Referee
Sat 3 Jan 2015
at 03:36
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
["Dust Runner, heh?"] a voice comes back in response to Kraig's comm hail. ["No Dust Runner on the record. Whatcha got to trade?"]

A moment later, the screen lights up with a picture. It's a man with long white hair and a bushy white beard, dressed in a green plaid shirt and gray coveralls. He's smoking a pipe.
Steve Cable
 Player, 208 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Sat 3 Jan 2015
at 21:45
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Comm to shipwide


"Any cargo in the hold?"

StarMaster
 GM, 184 posts
 Referee
Sun 4 Jan 2015
at 01:13
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
As before, the computer lists the following items.

Lot #1: 10 tons; A-B Ni Cr4,000 Pharmaceuticals

Lot #2:  8 tons; A-B Ni Cr4,000 Mixed (clothes; books; music)

Lot #3:  5 tons; A-B Ni Cr4,000 Consumables (energy health drinks)


When the lifepod was being brought on board, Kraig inspected the cargo hold and confirmed in passing that these items were, in fact, in the cargo hold... even in the cargo bay locations they were supposed to be in.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 177 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Mon 5 Jan 2015
at 06:15
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Well, looking around I would say we are the 'Dust Runner" in fact.  Give me a second to confirm our cargo with the captain."  Kraig glanced back at Steve and continued.  "To whom am I speaking?  Is this port control?  What happened to the interdicting squadron?"
Steve Cable
 Player, 209 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Mon 5 Jan 2015
at 13:09
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"The interdicting squadron comes and goes. Don't know if the invasion has been reported. Tell him we have general goods for trade, he's probably just a local with no formal port authority."
StarMaster
 GM, 185 posts
 Referee
Mon 5 Jan 2015
at 16:48
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Eh? Oh, pardon my manners," the man replies. "Emon Coyne's the name. Don't get too many visitors here and all that."

"As for the fleet, well, seems to be some sort of interstellar scuffle going on, so they was called away. Nobody liked it, but them was the orders."

"If'n yer thinking of visiting Albert, I'd advise against it. Just cause the fleet's gone don't mean it ain't protected!"

"Not impressed with my uniform, eh? Well, that's what the boss declared was the new uniform. Not that there's a lot of choice here, mind you."

Steve Cable
 Player, 210 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Tue 6 Jan 2015
at 13:23
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Comm

"Fine uniform. Your beacon is up? We'll be down in 2 hours."

"Kraig, once you lock on the beacon set course for ocean as far from it as we can get, we'll refuel and head to Albert."

Kraig Pars
 Player, 178 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Wed 7 Jan 2015
at 05:06
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig listened to the conversation.  "We have general goods for trade.  We'd be happy to exchange with your merchants."  He fiddled with the receiver while Steve spoke.  "What is left to defend Albert?  Except for the war going on I'd expect hordes of treasure seekers to descend on the place."

As they spoke Kraig locked on the beacon if they had one and brought the ship to a course to land in a few days.
Ignatius Maor
 player, 81 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Wed 7 Jan 2015
at 21:37
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
IM listening to the conversation with the ground runs scans for spacecraft and other signs of civilization. He will map all the locations on a globe for reference.


15:35, Today: Ignatius Maor rolled 12 using 2d6+2 with rolls of 6,4. Sensors (+ shipboard mods).
StarMaster
 GM, 186 posts
 Referee
Wed 7 Jan 2015
at 22:21
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Sure, beacon's up," Emon replies. "It's always up."

"There are some gun emplacements protecting Albert. Treasure hunters probably haven't heard that the fleet left, it takes them a while to get organized, and without knowing when the fleet will return, they'd have to have some big gonads to spend the money to come here on a lark."

"Can you be a bit more specific on your trade goods? I'll need to know what to tell the local merchants so they have an idea what to bring to trade."




IM confirms what the record shows: pretty much the only civilization on the planet is in an area called The Mesas. A detail scan gives a count of 673 individual mesas, all grouped together. They supposedly house ten million+ people. There are two minor indications at extreme outlying areas, possibly some research area or a mining base.

There are no detectable spacecraft on the planet.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 180 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Thu 8 Jan 2015
at 06:01
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig replied.  "With the Zho and Swordies on the rampage there is a good chance that hostiles might sweep in at any time.  That'd be far worse for treasure hunters than a few automated turrets on Albert.  As for goods, we have some pharma and  miscellaneous consumer goods."
Steve Cable
 Player, 212 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Fri 9 Jan 2015
at 13:11
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"If they  came through they might have dropped off a company or two for garrison duty, maybe some science types to study Albert but there isn't anything of value here but the water and gas giant for fuel, no ships needed."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 182 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sun 11 Jan 2015
at 04:11
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig shakes his head.  "Still, why leave the refueling station intact?"
Steve Cable
 Player, 213 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Sun 11 Jan 2015
at 23:39
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Might not know it's there, was new to me and I've been in system before. Never been gun emplacements or satellite interceptors either as while Red it was not a closed system as most Reds are."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 183 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Mon 12 Jan 2015
at 00:48
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig took a deep breath and looked at the others.  "There is too much speculation.  At the end of the day do we want to risk traveling to the main world and the moon?  There may be hidden Swordie military forces or even some threat from remaining gun emplacements or satellites from the interdiction."
Steve Cable
 Player, 214 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Mon 12 Jan 2015
at 01:50
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Need fuel, planet has plenty. Albert's water is frozen and patchy, too much effort. If we spot trouble we'll flee. But if nothing else we will have a full report for the Fleet and IISS when we get out of here."
StarMaster
 GM, 187 posts
 Referee
Sat 17 Jan 2015
at 05:07
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
So, just waiting on someone to set a course...
Steve Cable
 Player, 216 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Sat 17 Jan 2015
at 14:53
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Done in post 207 I think
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 136 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Sat 17 Jan 2015
at 20:12
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Gahler finally finished listening to all the recording from the station and sat mulling over the results of his efforts.
StarMaster
 GM, 188 posts
 Referee
Sat 17 Jan 2015
at 20:26
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Yes, but what is the destination? Everyone was waffling over that. No one definitely said 'this is where we're going'.

Are you going to land at the starport to trade, or are you just going to scoop up a bunch of water and leave?



Gahler finds that there was very little station traffic from the refueling base. It involved refueling the ships of the patrol fleet, which was only 4 ships. Only one ship was refueled at a time, and the route each ship took brought them to the station near the end of it. After that, they went back to station orbit around Victoria.

As near as he can tell, no outside ships came to the base since it went on-line.

The station was notified that the fleet received orders to pull out, though no explanation was offered, nor was any return date indicated.

It wasn't until after the fleet left that the station began experiencing a series of problems. At first, it was just minor glitches, like comms not working. They began getting worse. One of the drones stopped working. Then people started getting sick.

Data ended at that point. It was two days later that the Dust Runner showed up.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 137 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Sat 17 Jan 2015
at 20:32
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Gahler taps into the shipwide coms, "this is a summary of the data recordings from the refueling station."
"There was very little station traffic from the refueling base. It involved refueling the ships of the patrol fleet, which was only 4 ships. Only one ship was refueled at a time, and the route each ship took brought them to the station near the end of it. After that, they went back to station orbit around Victoria."

"From the recordings, no outside ships came to the base since it went on-line."

"The station was notified that the fleet received orders to pull out, though no explanation was offered, nor was any return date indicated."

"It wasn't until after the fleet left that the station began experiencing a series of problems. At first, it was just minor glitches, like comms not working. They began getting worse. One of the drones stopped working. Then people started getting sick.

Data ended at that point. It was two days later that the Dust Runner showed up."

"Hope this helps in explaining some of what we saw. Gahler out."

StarMaster
 GM, 190 posts
 Referee
Sun 18 Jan 2015
at 03:37
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Ha-ha. You didn't need to repeat it all verbatim. If you weren't going to paraphrase it or leave out any info, it's fine just to say you repeat the information over the comm.

Anyway, I thought you were still debating the course of action.



Once you tell the starport that you'll be down in two hours, it still takes you about 8 hours to 'land' on the other side of the planet from the starport, which is in the area called The Mesas.

The air here is hazardous to breathe.

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:22, Sun 18 Jan 2015.

Steve Cable
 Player, 218 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Sun 18 Jan 2015
at 03:56
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Comm

"Engineering get the hoses ready for fueling we'll hover 6 meters up."

Ignatius Maor
 Player, 82 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Mon 19 Jan 2015
at 02:57
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
IM keeps a constant monitor on the sensors during their refueling procedure.

20:55, Today: Ignatius Maor rolled 11 using 2d6+2 with rolls of 5,4. Sensors (+ shipboard mods).
StarMaster
 GM, 201 posts
 Referee
Mon 19 Jan 2015
at 03:20
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
The ship hovers over the water, the hoses are dropped into the water, and the pumps begin sucking up the water into the tanks.

It's going to take about an hour to top off the main tanks. Are you going to try and fill the portable tanks taken from the station?

IM detects nothing on the sensors. There is some aquatic life in the ocean, but none of it appears to be large enough to threaten the ship.
Arc Tangent
 Player, 27 posts
Mon 19 Jan 2015
at 03:45
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
A message from Arc comes over the comm:

["Arc to Bridge. One of our medical guests has... revived."]
Steve Cable
 Player, 220 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Mon 19 Jan 2015
at 12:24
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Comm

"Acknowledged."

Kraig Pars
 Player, 185 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Tue 20 Jan 2015
at 07:14
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig maneuvers the ship down through the atmosphere and brings it to a hover above the ocean. "Let's fill everything we can up so that we can make a full set of jumps immediately if needed."
Steve Cable
 Player, 223 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Sun 25 Jan 2015
at 19:51
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"You have the con I'm going to sickbay then topside for the refueling, don't dump me overboard."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 140 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Mon 26 Jan 2015
at 05:38
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Strolling onto the bridge, "coffee, tea and out of date biscuits. Ya want some?"
StarMaster
 GM, 204 posts
 Referee
Thu 5 Feb 2015
at 06:28
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
The ship is refueled. Now what?
Kraig Pars
 Player, 189 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Thu 5 Feb 2015
at 06:57
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig brings the ship into a safer hover about 30 meters above the water.  "I say we head to the main settlement.  If necessary we can land nearby and send scouts on foot into the town.  That or just get the hell out of here now that we can make a double jump."
Steve Cable
 Player, 229 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Thu 5 Feb 2015
at 12:37
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Get out of town time. Set a course back to the station, if its still there we'll reassess if not jump."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 190 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sat 7 Feb 2015
at 06:37
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig twisted the ship around on its tail and set it into a course to orbit.  He kept the planet between them and the settlement.  "You don't want to go snooping around the Ancient's settlement on the moon?"
Steve Cable
 Player, 230 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Sat 7 Feb 2015
at 12:37
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"I do. but it's probably pointless. Best scan it on way out and see if anything there."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 191 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sat 7 Feb 2015
at 16:50
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig adjusted the course to bring them into orbit around the moon.  He set the instruments to scan the moon as they approached.  "We'll be a few hours getting to the moon."
Ignatius Maor
 Player, 83 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Sat 7 Feb 2015
at 17:39
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
As Kraig scans the moon, IM will scan near space.

11:38, Today: Ignatius Maor rolled 10 using 2d6+2 with rolls of 6,2. Sensor roll.
StarMaster
 GM, 205 posts
 Referee
Sat 7 Feb 2015
at 22:36
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
The sensors pick up nothing in near space, and nothing in far space, but the latter only means there was nothing there a few hours ago, which is how long it takes for the presence of a ship's drive to reach your current location.

The moon Albert registers as a wordlet with an atmosphere and some free-standing water (hyro profile of 1). There are no ships or installations on the moon, but the sensors do pick up the remnants of a base. There are no active energy signatures.
Steve Cable
 Player, 231 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Sat 7 Feb 2015
at 23:44
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Passover cord  83x2, standard projector, get us a visual."
StarMaster
 GM, 206 posts
 Referee
Sun 8 Feb 2015
at 04:18
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
The term 'base' may have been a bit of exaggeration, at least in terms of ships. This base is more like a base camp. It has three prefab buildings--one large, two small--in a clearing that was probably man-made.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 192 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sun 8 Feb 2015
at 21:44
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig looks over at the data that IM brought up.  "Feel like landing and checking out a genuine Ancients base?"
Hans Matherson
 Player, 30 posts
Mon 9 Feb 2015
at 02:38
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Hans leans over Ignatius' shoulder and says, "Well that looks like a boring rock. So what's this about ancients?"

This message was last edited by the player at 06:50, Mon 09 Feb 2015.

Ignatius Maor
 Player, 84 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Mon 9 Feb 2015
at 18:58
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
IM looking at the sensors comments "Don't know if what we are reading here is Ancients. Just signs of something old."

Turning he looks at Steve "Only way to find out is to get down in the dirt and scrounge around."
Steve Cable
 Player, 232 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Mon 9 Feb 2015
at 23:38
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"There's a complete but empty city down their built by the Ancients."

"Approach carefully."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 141 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Tue 10 Feb 2015
at 00:03
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Seriously, are we going to land here?" Gahler asked.
Steve Cable
 Player, 233 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Tue 10 Feb 2015
at 00:04
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"If nothing blasts us or warns us off."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 142 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Tue 10 Feb 2015
at 00:28
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"so out of the frying pan into the fire." Gahler muttered, "I am dead sure you are trying to get us killed."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 193 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Tue 10 Feb 2015
at 02:59
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
While the others are talking Kraig brings the ship into a slow approach to land at the site of the buildings.
Steve Cable
 Player, 234 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Tue 10 Feb 2015
at 03:07
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"This from a guy who jumps on an APC and wrestles with the gun barrel."
StarMaster
 GM, 207 posts
 Referee
Tue 10 Feb 2015
at 03:15
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
The Ancient city doesn't register on sensors, but it is visible through visual devices.
Hans Matherson
 Player, 31 posts
Tue 10 Feb 2015
at 03:28
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Well since we are heading there I guess I will go recharge my batteries. About how long until we get there?" Hans took a look around the bridge to see who all was present.
Steve Cable
 Player, 235 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Tue 10 Feb 2015
at 03:29
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"OK, Gahler will show you around."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 143 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Tue 10 Feb 2015
at 11:09
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"That was a moment of adrenaline and I kept them from blowing holes through my friends at the time." Gahler shrugged off the comment.

"Pardon? You want me to be a steward too?" Still holding the tray with coffee, tea and dubious quality biscuits.
StarMaster
 GM, 208 posts
 Referee
Tue 10 Feb 2015
at 19:26
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Everybody and their uncle is on the bridge at the moment.

Present are: Captain Steve, Kraig, IM, Gahler and Hans. Arc is often on the bridge, too, when one of the others needs a break, but he's not there at the moment.


The trip to the moon will only take about 2 hours--an hour of acceleration and an hour of deceleration.


So, two hours and 10 minutes (landing time) later, the Dust Runner is sitting on the ground at the edge of the base camp.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 194 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Wed 11 Feb 2015
at 06:57
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig set's the controls in stand by.  "Let's leave the ship ready to take off at a moment's notice.  The Swordies or Zho could jump in at any moment." He gets up and stretches.  "Let's check out the little base here and then go for a walk over in the ruins."
Hans Matherson
 Player, 32 posts
Wed 11 Feb 2015
at 19:35
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Hans walks back into the bridge. "So who is ready to go see some old buildings.
Steve Cable
 Player, 236 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Thu 12 Feb 2015
at 01:51
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Steve gears up finding an air mask and tank.

"Atmo is thin and gravity light."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 196 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Fri 13 Feb 2015
at 05:54
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
After securing his station Kraig calls out on the all ship channel.

"We've landed on Albert and some of us are headed to look around the Ancient ruins.  Anyone wanting to come along should join us at the air lock.  We'll need respirator masks and air tanks just to be on the safe side."

Kraig grabbed a respirator and air tank as well as shotgun, auto pistol (ammo for both), flashlight and a camera.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:56, Fri 13 Feb 2015.

Arc Tangent
 Player, 30 posts
Fri 13 Feb 2015
at 06:00
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Arc quickly makes his way to the bridge.

"As fascinating as it might be to check out these ruins," he says, "someone's gotta stay behind and haul your bacon out of the fire!"

"I've got the bridge,"
he adds as everyone is filing out.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 145 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Fri 13 Feb 2015
at 06:22
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Gahler leaves the bridge with near empty tray.
Ignatius Maor
 Player, 85 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Fri 13 Feb 2015
at 14:58
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
IM leaves the bridge and swings by his quarters for his ground gear and after gathering up an breather heads to the airlock with the other team members.
StarMaster
 GM, 352 posts
 Referee
Sat 30 Jul 2016
at 05:58
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Having all agreed to a destination, all it requires is for people to take up their stations, plot a course and pull the trigger.

Need a navigation roll from any and all with the skill, and then an engineer's roll for activating the jump drive.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 343 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Tue 2 Aug 2016
at 00:48
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig swings into the navigator's seat and starts to work the Jump calculations.  He brings the plot up on the screen.  "Anyone want to check my work?"



17:47, Today: Kraig Pars rolled 9 using 2d6+2 with rolls of 2,5.  Astrogation.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 202 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Tue 2 Aug 2016
at 06:48
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Sure" Gahler offers.
He taps away on the computer, scratches his chin a few times before showing his results. Comparing them with Kraig. "Well they match. Either we both be right or we be screwed."

Gahler Grohlson rolled 10 using 2d6+2 with rolls of 4,4.  Astrogation.
StarMaster
 GM, 354 posts
 Referee
Tue 2 Aug 2016
at 17:23
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
The astrogation computer, however, comes up with a different course setting.

18:19, Today: StarMaster rolled 7 using 2d6+2 ((1,4)).

After checking over your own work and double-checking the computer, you realize that the computer was using a different destination--the planet (the default) rather than a gas giant in the system. After making the adjustment, and running it again, it now matches your own.

18:20, Today: StarMaster rolled 9 using 2d6+2 ((4,3)).


With a course laid in, it now just requires the engineer to activate the jump drive.
StarMaster
 GM, 355 posts
 Referee
Wed 10 Aug 2016
at 01:56
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
The ship slips into J-space without a hitch, although usually when there is a hitch, nobody's left alive to tell what happened.

Of course, the problem can occur once your in jump-space... as near as anyone can tell, no one actually knows what happens when you don't come out... or come out after million years. Everyone would have long died, from starvation or simply old age... the physics are still a bit wobbly on that score.

The 'best' problem you can have is dropping out of jump-space prematurely... far away from any world.

If that happens, an alarm goes off if you drop out before the expected time.


So you've got a week (or so) in jump-space.

Is there anything you want to do during that time, or would you prefer to just fast-forward to exiting jump-space?
StarMaster
 GM, 359 posts
 Referee
Mon 15 Aug 2016
at 22:58
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Other than that you were probably all getting a bit sick of looking at each other... and starting to get a bit cabin feverish, the transition through jump-space went uneventfully. With a bit of precaution, the course was set to bring you out on the back side of the closest gas giant to Ghandi... 100 diameters out, of course. It was actually 101 diameters out.

The small gas giant is named Indira. It has no moons and no rings, so there isn't any space traffic in or around it.


The trip took exactly 7 days. When you come out, no alarms go off, meaning that there is no significant mass nearby, and no energy readings from ships or stations.

In about 3 seconds, you start picking up signals from around the system. Most of it is old... signals that take a long time to reach this far out.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 347 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Tue 16 Aug 2016
at 05:00
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig will bring up the passive sensors whatever they might be on the ship while scanning the comm signals.  He'll check the channel for the traffic control first.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 205 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Tue 16 Aug 2016
at 06:45
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Gahler had been snoozing in the pilot's chair when the alarms went off.
"What the blazes?"
"We be early?"

Gahler seized the controls, jinks the ship down and port just to make sure any hostile would have a less easier shot at them.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:46, Tue 16 Aug 2016.

Kraig Pars
 Player, 349 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Thu 18 Aug 2016
at 00:46
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig smiled over at Gahler.  "No, we are exactly on time."
Roland Steen
 Player, 106 posts
Thu 18 Aug 2016
at 02:24
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Bridge this is engineering, Do I need to prep for another jump? Or are we staying to refuel?"
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 206 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Thu 18 Aug 2016
at 04:49
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Engineering, we just arrived and haven't scanned near space. SO hold yer horses for now." Gahler replied.
"Anything on sensors?"
Roland Steen
 Player, 107 posts
Thu 18 Aug 2016
at 05:02
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
In reply to Gahler Grohlson (msg # 271):

"Copy that bridge....  Just asking on the off hand chance we popped out in the middle of a Swordie battle group."
Ignatius Maor
 Player, 131 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Thu 18 Aug 2016
at 13:47
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
IM at the Sensor station starts passively scanning. Ready to switch the station to Gunner just in case...

08:45, Today: Ignatius Maor rolled 10 using 2d6+2 with rolls of 6,2.  Sensors (+1 INT, +1 Sensors).
StarMaster
 GM, 362 posts
 Referee
Fri 19 Aug 2016
at 04:06
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
The alarm that went off was just the usual 'warning' that dropping out of J-space was imminent.

It only took about 3 seconds for the sensors to get back online, and they picked up none of the normal emissions that signaled other ships or installations.

About the only way a Swordie battlegroup would have been here was if they were amassing for a major attack, but it would have been difficult to get so many ships in system without being detected.

The only thing IM is picking up is some radio traffic from the outer moons of the system. Without an asteroid belt, that's where the mining is getting done.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 351 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sun 21 Aug 2016
at 07:49
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig shakes his head.  "No radio traffic in system.  Can you make out what we're picking up from the outer system.  I say we refuel and get the hell out."
StarMaster
 GM, 363 posts
 Referee
Sun 21 Aug 2016
at 15:43
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Actually, you wouldn't pick up any signals from in-system. The gas giant is blocking them.

The stuff you're picking up from the outer system is typical chatter... gossip, sports discussions, family dramas, etc. None of it's secure, and it's all wide band broadcast... in other words, mostly personal with a bit of commercial transmissions thrown in.
Luise Wechsler
 player, 63 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Fri 26 Aug 2016
at 00:19
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"No sign of the Swordies," Luise comments. "They could still be here, just hiding until... well, I don't know. Waiting for an arrival, a signal, dinner's over... who knows what motivates them."


"Just in case, let's ease out from behind the gas giant and see what's happening in-system."

Kraig Pars
 Player, 352 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sat 27 Aug 2016
at 05:21
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig sifts through the broadcasts. "It sure sounds like business as usual, at least in the outer system."  He nodded to Luise; "We should be able to maneuver up over the pole of the gas giant far enough to pick up the inner system traffic and not compromise skimming later."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 207 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Sun 28 Aug 2016
at 01:05
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Gahler sets a course for the gas giant so they could refuel.
He tweaks the course so they could pop up at the pole to have a greater look into the local system and gather some needed intelligence on what was happening.
StarMaster
 GM, 364 posts
 Referee
Mon 29 Aug 2016
at 06:50
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Heading inward to the gas giant isn't a problem, and Gahler can easily steer a course that'll put the Dust Runner near the pole, just enough for the sensors to peek around the planet while still keeping the ship 'out of sight'.


The sensors pick up the usual in-system traffic that you'd expect. There are innumerable comms, many garbled, and space traffic control, planetary broadcasts, and similar signals.

There is no sign of Sword-Worlders, but there is some Imperial Military communications.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 353 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Tue 30 Aug 2016
at 02:16
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig turns back to the others. "Things seem normal.  I'm surprised that we haven't been challenged by a system defense boat yet."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 208 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Tue 30 Aug 2016
at 08:34
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"So you want us to skim now and then leave, Luise. Or head in system and report?" Gahler queried.
Luise Wechsler
 player, 64 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Mon 5 Sep 2016
at 08:28
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
She stared at the viewscreen as if it would somehow give her answers even though she knew it wouldn't.

>"There's really no reason to not just head in-system, but call it paranoia if you want. There's a war going on out there somewhere... it may not have touched this system yet, but it's a good reason to be paranoid... more than normal anyway."

"Yeah, let's refuel here. Not the best option, but I really don't want to get stuck on the planet refueling if the excrement hits the rotary air oscillator."

"We can skip trying to refill the fuel bladders, though. Not sure we have the equipment for it anyway."

Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 209 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Mon 5 Sep 2016
at 22:19
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Tapping the coms, "Engineering, prepare for fuel skimming."

OOC: For the bladders to be filled, it first goes into the main fuel tank and then gets shunted into the bladders?
StarMaster
 GM, 365 posts
 Referee
Mon 5 Sep 2016
at 22:25
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
OOC: Yes, that's one way of doing it. The other way is just to pump the fuel directly into the bladder.
Roland Steen
 Player, 109 posts
Tue 6 Sep 2016
at 01:21
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
In reply to Gahler Grohlson (msg # 284):

"Copy that Bridge."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 354 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sun 11 Sep 2016
at 06:08
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig shook his head. "Definitely let's refuel first but we should report as well.  There will be information we have that will help with the war, even indirectly."
StarMaster
 GM, 366 posts
 Referee
Sat 17 Sep 2016
at 19:12
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
The ship has no problem refueling from the gas giant's atmosphere. You can even refill the bladders if you want, though they are taking up a lot of cargo space if you were planning on acquiring cargo here.


You can head out from around the curve of the planet, but it'll be about 30 minutes before the planet's sensor pick up your ship, and another 30 before you receive the standard hail/challenge/request. So, in the mean time, you'll have that long to decide whether you want to alter the automated signal the ship sends out in response.

If you go in system, it'll take you 14 days at 1G, or 10 days at 2G.

I suppose an alternate would be a micro-jump, it'd only take a week and use one of the fuel bladders' fuel.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 210 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Sat 17 Sep 2016
at 23:20
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"So we heading in. We going in slow or fast or microjumping?" Gahler queried as he eased the ship into an orbit around the gas giant.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 355 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Tue 20 Sep 2016
at 00:44
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig considers the options. "Let's fuel up the bladders and fixed tanks and microjump to the mainworld.  If all hell breaks loose we can microjump back here, fuel up and get the heck out."
Luise Wechsler
 player, 65 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Tue 20 Sep 2016
at 02:26
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Remember, it's not paranoia if they really are after you," the captain quipped up.

"If we didn't know there was a war going on, we wouldn't even be worried. I don't see any other sensible way to do it."

"At least with a micro-jump, we don't have to be worried about pirates."

"Plot a course for the Ghandi jump point and kick in the j-drive."

StarMaster
 GM, 367 posts
 Referee
Tue 20 Sep 2016
at 02:47
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
The main reason micro-jumps don't get used very often is because it usually takes more fuel than a ship has available. It requires the same amount of fuel as a standard jump-1, and isn't necessary to reach another planet in the same system. And there's always a chance of a misjump, so why risk it?

It takes both fuel bladders for a jump-2, but only one bladder for the jump-1 microjump in system.

The jump calculations are easier for the microjump as you have a much shorter distance to cover and you now have first-hand updated data.

One way or the other, of course, it would have taken a week to reach Ghandi, so another week isn't so bad.

The jump goes fine, and the Dust Runner emerges from jump space 100 diameters out.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 356 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Tue 20 Sep 2016
at 05:42
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig makes sure the transponder is functioning properly before they come out of Jump.  As soon as they emerge he hails traffic control to request a landing berth and refueling.
Ignatius Maor
 Player, 133 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Wed 21 Sep 2016
at 02:41
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
IM is sitting at his station sscanning the moment the sensors clear after coming out of the microjump.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 211 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Wed 21 Sep 2016
at 05:52
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Sliding out of the micro-jump, "Perhaps you would like to make the call Captain to the local starport. See what is happening locally."

"We will need a second set of navigation calculations in case we have to do another micro-jump." Gahler adds.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:54, Wed 21 Sept 2016.

Kraig Pars
 Player, 357 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Wed 21 Sep 2016
at 21:41
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig nods to Gahler and starts to work the numbers to take them back to the gas giant should it be needed.
StarMaster
 GM, 368 posts
 Referee
Wed 21 Sep 2016
at 22:26
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Technically, your transponder just transmits the ship's ID, name and registry, and usually the owner/captain. Convenience has your computer providing it with additional data to transmit: crew, passengers, ship's latest engineering report, medical report, news and emails from the ship's last port-o'-call. In this case, it's transmitting the current ship's status as recovered skipjack.

If the transponder didn't do this, then you'd be subject to boarding and inspection upon landing. Or answering a challenge hail, which at this time, would be done at gunpoint. Then, if they weren't happy with the answers, you could be shot as spies or the enemy.


There is a slightly longer than normal delay in reply, no doubt while the information is verified, but then the automated response gets sent back. You are granted clearance, permission to land, a timed approach vector, an assigned landing bay, and you are transmitted the latest news and various updates on the local conditions (elections, command assignments, appointments, etc.).


There is a Highport, but unless you request a berth there, you are automatically assigned a berth at the Downport.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 358 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Thu 22 Sep 2016
at 04:52
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig glances at the date.  "Let's go to the downport."  He also looks through the update for news of the war.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 212 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Thu 22 Sep 2016
at 07:54
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Downport it is then." Gahler replied, adjusting the ships course a little.
StarMaster
 GM, 369 posts
 Referee
Thu 29 Sep 2016
at 04:55
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
By the time you reach orbit and begin your descent to the downport following the landing beacon, you receive confirmation of your recovery claim to the Dust Runner. You are also granted temporary ownership pending an end to the war to officially return the ship. That's also a way to let them 'militarize' the ship if needed.

The request comes in: do you want a docking bay or just a landing port? The landing port is just a berm in an open area of tarmac. It's free. A docking bay is where you'd put into for repairs or upgrades; it costs... the usually docking fee.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:28, Sun 09 Oct 2016.

Kraig Pars
 Player, 360 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sun 2 Oct 2016
at 07:05
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Landing port for now.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:28, Sun 09 Oct 2016.

StarMaster
 GM, 371 posts
 Referee
Sun 9 Oct 2016
at 23:06
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Gahler brings the ship down to the assigned landing port, following the landing beacons down.

Once the ship is down, the usual procedures kick in. There is an automated umbilical that'll connect with the ship, unless the captain or engineer vetoes it. This umbilical provides power to the ship, fresh water, fresh air, and waste disposal.

There is also the usual computer interface--inquiries for cargo, mail delivery, re-supply requests, etc.

As the ship settles down, you spot a contingent of three military officers approaching the ship.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:29, Sun 09 Oct 2016.

Luise Wechsler
 player, 66 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Sun 9 Oct 2016
at 23:36
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Functioning as the captain, the Baroness calls a meeting of the crew.


"First priority is to get everyone out of low berths," she begins when everyone is there. "Arc and Hans, as our resident medics, that's your task."

"Any of them that want to remain aboard can do so, but since we don't really know where we're going next or what we're doing, that's probably not a good choice for any of them, but they are welcome if they want."

"We've got some brass approaching the ship. No doubt they want to know what we know about Lanth. As the captain, I need to talk to them, but since Steve has the most knowledge about what happened there, he'll have to be my wingman."

"Since that'll keep me busy for awhile, that puts Kraig and Gahler in charge of the cargo. Sell what you can--do we actually have any? And see what you can find. I'd prefer cargo for a specific destination rather than pure speculation, but if that's all you can find... well, that's what we'll take."

"Roland, refuel as you see fit."

"IM... you'll probably just have to hang loose for a bit, until my meeting with the Brass is done. Then you and I can head to the port authority and officially file the recovery claim on the ship. We shouldn't need your legal expertise, but better safe than sorry."

"Anybody have any other issues, suggestions or ideas?"

Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 215 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Mon 10 Oct 2016
at 00:48
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Captain, I have been working with Steve with recovery of this ship. Maybe I could tag along."
"The computer link will make finding cargo easier. Not sure about the cargo inventory in the hold or how much funds we have to purchase cargo. You are wishing straight freight. The largest cargo determining our next port of call or do you wish us to work in a specific direction?"

Luise Wechsler
 player, 67 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Mon 10 Oct 2016
at 01:46
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"I don't see any reason you can't or shouldn't," she replies to Gahler.

"As for cargo... we've only got two directions to go... Spinward or Coreward. Except for Quopist, we can't reach anything Trailing, and Quopist is an Amber Zone."

"We came from Rimward... Lanth and Victoria... that's where the war is, so we'd all agreed that we wanted to get away from that."

"Spinward, we could go to Calit or Denotam, maybe transship cargo to Mirriam, 728, Digitis, Rangent or Tremous Dex. That's heading out towards the Zhodani, though. So I'd be leery of going that way."

"Coreward, we could go to Dinomn... or Dinom-without-the-n. Transship to Phlume, Extolay, K'Kirta, Yori, Jenghe, and Regina."

"Unless any of you have family in this subsector that you'd rather not leave, I was considering circling down through Rhylanor and Mora to Glisten. It's a long haul, but we should be able to find some trouble to get into along the way."

Kraig Pars
 Player, 361 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Mon 10 Oct 2016
at 05:26
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig spoke up. "What are you going to tell the military about Victoria captain?  Do we have a story together?  We refueled and performed minor repairs and then headed right here?  Or do we want to spill the beans about the finding in the alien ruins?"  He shrugged; "As for heading out of here if they let us, I'd go straight to Quopist and cut straight over to Rhylanor."
Ignatius Maor
 Player, 134 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Tue 11 Oct 2016
at 02:18
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
IM shrugs at Luise's suggestion. He sits down at his station and starts scanning the local news and broadcasts trying to get a feel for what's going on and mentions of the war.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 216 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Tue 11 Oct 2016
at 09:58
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"We agreed the talk of the ruins are not to talk about the ruins. Leave that till we get to a major centre of trade where we can sell the information to a university or such. till then we say nothing about it." Gahler replied.
Roland Steen
 Player, 113 posts
Tue 11 Oct 2016
at 14:14
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
" We're ready to take on fuel." Roland announced as he entered the bridge." Wiping his hands and straightening his jumpsuit."

I need to do some routine maintenance but  it looks like the ship held up fairly well."

"I do need to go dockside and see about replacing my personal kit. Lost most of it when my ship was hit.And living out of the ships Locker is not going to work forever."

I also owe all of you a cold drink for picking up my pod way back there."

Kraig Pars
 Player, 362 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Wed 12 Oct 2016
at 03:19
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"That makes sense Gahler. If we get started talking about what we found we'll be impounded for the years."
Luise Wechsler
 player, 68 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Wed 12 Oct 2016
at 08:58
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Going to Glisten was just a thought," she replies. "I don't have any particular destination in mind."

"As for Victoria... since we didn't do any trading with them, don't see that's an issue. Albert, on the other hand... Yes, we should avoid mentioning that... at least to the brass."

"We can put out some feelers in the startown to see if anyone here might be interested in the data, but that's why I thought we'd head to Regina. There'll be more opportunity there."

"Oh, and I almost forget: we have some unwanted passengers in cold sleep... we not only have our skipjacker, Ritter, but we have some people from the Sky Rig on ice. We need to turn them over to medical."

Roland Steen
 Player, 114 posts
Wed 12 Oct 2016
at 10:10
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
In reply to Luise Wechsler (msg # 311):

"There is one problem with the passengers." Rutger pointed out. "Sooner or later they are going to be questioned. If their story does not match up with the one we give that might cause some issues. So any story you decide on, it has to include our stop at the refueling station."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 217 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Wed 12 Oct 2016
at 23:47
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"yes the refueling station will need to be mentioned and its evacuation." Gahler acknowledged. "We have a copy of the station logs we can surrender to them for their own investigation."

This message was last edited by the player at 23:48, Wed 12 Oct 2016.

Luise Wechsler
 player, 69 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Thu 13 Oct 2016
at 20:07
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"The refueling station's not really an issue," Louise responded. "It was a standard and perfectly legal refueling stop. We weren't saying we weren't in the Victoria system, cause that's the only place we could have come from."

"And since we got the fuel bladders there, we should offer to pay for them to whatever local authority claims jurisdiction over the Sky Rig."

"All the rest of our popsicles were on ice by the time we landed on Albert, so there's nothing for them to tell."

"The rest of you did nothing illegal in acquiring the Dust Runner, so there's nothing for them to reveal on the matter. They were all part of it."

"Look, I know you are all paranoid... me, not so much, though I admit that my social status may have something to do with that... but it's not like the Zhodani are here trying to probe our minds. This is the Imperium. The Fringe, at that."

"Our biggest concern should be what we DON'T know. And that is why we need a bolt hole."

"Maybe we should consider this: we don't have the firepower to resist any concerted effort to stop us, and we certainly don't have the jets. So if we have to jump in a hurry, are you all comfortable with jumping inside the Limit? Yes, that means a serious risk of a misjump. You just have to decide whether that's a better option than the alternative."

Kraig Pars
 Player, 364 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sat 15 Oct 2016
at 01:03
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig listens and then speaks up.  "I'd be afraid that Regina is under siege if the Zho have really come across the border.  Rhylanor may be a better place to look to sell information; certainly safer."  He nodded in agreement on the rest of the plan.  "Definitely no mention of Albert and the rest should be ok.  Let's hope we don't have to make a break for it and jump inside the 100D or 10D limits.  We'd be outlaws at that point."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 218 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Mon 17 Oct 2016
at 02:45
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Well the fuel bladders were salvage. We rescue the crew in the process. I don't believe we will have issue with the fueling station apart from the alien critters present in the gases outside."

"Jumping inside the limit?" Gahler repeats, "We do it if no other options are open to us. Some risks are just bad choices."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 365 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Wed 19 Oct 2016
at 03:48
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig nodded vigorously in agreement.  "Let's hope our story holds up enough that we don't face that choice!"
StarMaster
 GM, 373 posts
 Referee
Mon 24 Oct 2016
at 01:11
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
The officers request permission to board the ship, and they'll meet you in whatever room you want to use. They mostly want to know whatever you can tell them about the Sword Worlder's attack on Lanth.

Once you start telling them all the other details... Sky Rig and Victoria, they looked concerned at first, confused second, and then just laugh at your misadventures.

They take the prisoner off your hands, and the medical stasis pods with the patients in them.

And that's it. They give no indication that they might be suspicious of anything, but even if they did (and didn't show it), they have bigger things to be concerned about.

You have full clearance for the starport and planet.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 367 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Mon 24 Oct 2016
at 01:34
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
While they are talking to the officers, Kraig will ask them how the war is going.

When the officers leave, Kraig breathes a sigh of relief.  "Well, let's see about fueling and selling what we have.  At least they let us keep the bladders without paying."

This message was last edited by the player at 01:36, Mon 24 Oct 2016.

Arc Tangent
 Player, 35 posts
Sat 29 Oct 2016
at 01:22
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"So who gets to do what?" Arc asks.

"Do you want one of us to sell our cargo while someone else looks for a new haul? And that leads me to another question. Just where are we going next? We'd have better luck getting cargo with a specific destination in mind rather than buying something on speculation and hoping we can sell it when we get to wherever it is we're going."

"I'm just sayin',"

Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 219 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Sat 29 Oct 2016
at 08:16
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"just awaiting the buying and selling data for the last month. Along with what cargo is wishing transport to what system. I will transfer it to all so we can do independent analysis and come up with a plan." Gahler offered
Luise Wechsler
 player, 71 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Thu 3 Nov 2016
at 15:42
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Luise agrees: "It always comes down to that. A plan for the next step."

She holds back her opinion for now hoping for input from the crew.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:43, Thu 03 Nov 2016.

Kraig Pars
 Player, 369 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sat 5 Nov 2016
at 05:37
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig considered the options.  "Let's go to Dinomn.  It's a better destination with more options and less danger.  We are moving closer to the border and will be out of fuel having to do a deep space jump on the way in but that can't be helped."  He looked around.  "Whoever is best with cargos and trade should sell what we have if the prices are good and buy what makes sense for heading onward.  Really I think that is our best bet."
StarMaster
 GM, 376 posts
 Referee
Fri 11 Nov 2016
at 00:24
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig and Luise are the only crew with Broker skill, so it's up to them to sell the current cargo.

There are standard shipments going to Dinomn, of course, plus the typical mail lots.

Checking over the import/export sites, the following speculative options turn up.

             Advanced Vehicles: 25 tons;   180,000Cr per ton.
               Precious Metals:  4 tons;    50,000Cr per ton.
                Petrochemicals: 20 tons;    10,000Cr per ton.
                Petrochemicals: 10 tons;    10,000Cr per ton.
              Advanced Weapons: 25 tons;   150,000Cr per ton.
              Advanced Weapons:  5 tons;   150,000Cr per ton.
                      Vehicles: 40 tons;     5,000Cr per ton.
             Basic Consumables: 60 tons;     2,000Cr per ton.
             Crystals and Gems:  5 tons;    20,000Cr per ton.
          Illegal Biochemicals: 20 tons;    50,000Cr per ton.
          Illegal Biochemicals: 10 tons;    50,000Cr per ton.
   Advanced Manufactured Goods:  5 tons;   100,000Cr per ton.
                  Radioactives:  3 tons; 1,000,000Cr per ton.
Exotics (psychotic sculptures):  7 tons;    75,000Cr per ton.

Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 221 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Sat 12 Nov 2016
at 22:40
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Gahler does a quick data dump on Dinomn to see what the system was noted for and likely to need.
"The buying and selling data has arrived too." Gahler sends a copy to Kraig and Luise.

"Dinomn. Starport B, Low Law, Self-Perpetuating Oligarchy, Early Stellar tech.
Agricultural and Non-Industrial."
"So Petrochemicals, Vehicles, Basic Consumables and Advanced Manufactured Goods."


"So Regina after Dinomn?"
"Regina will always gobble up Precious Metals, crystals, gems and exotics."

This message was last edited by the player at 22:55, Sat 12 Nov 2016.

StarMaster
 GM, 379 posts
 Referee
Sun 13 Nov 2016
at 21:43
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"If you say so," Arc responds to Gahler's comment.

"It's all Aslan to me! If you've got something you want shot, then that's what I'm good at. Well, that, and tracking someone or something in the wilderness."

"Hey, IM, Roland, Hans... wanna go see what kind of trouble we can get into in the starport? Patrons frequently hang out at starport bars looking for trouble-shooters."

"Ah, wait. Captain? Are we in the business of trouble-shooting? Recoveries and stuff like that?"

Luise Wechsler
 player, 75 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Mon 14 Nov 2016
at 12:41
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Luise taps her lips: "I think I'd like going to Regina. I'm sure there are incredible shopping opportunities at the capital.
If you don't mind waiting just a little longer, we could at least ask for a price for our merchandise and see if we can get a good deal."


She looks around trying to hide her greedy excitement.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:41, Mon 14 Nov 2016.

Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 222 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Mon 14 Nov 2016
at 21:19
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Well why not work the selling of the cargo the next few days. Let Arc and co see what trouble shooting they might find without committing us till we can all discuss it." Gahler offers a simple solution.
"So we all in on the speculation cargo pool?"
Kraig Pars
 Player, 371 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Tue 15 Nov 2016
at 03:07
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig considered the list of cargoes available.  "I'm in for my share of the ship recovery plus another 20K from my own pocket.  With the war going there will be money to be made.  Let's definitely see what rumors and jobs we can scare up as well."
Luise Wechsler
 player, 77 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Tue 15 Nov 2016
at 12:15
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Luise puts her creds on the table. "I'm in." She announces gaily.
Hans Matherson
 Player, 102 posts
 Ex Scout
Tue 15 Nov 2016
at 22:12
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"I can handle that," Hans replied to Arc. "Want to start by making rounds of the bars, or did you have something else in mind?"

"Like, is there a Hunter's Club or some place where you all hang out? I remember reading some old stories about a 'gentleman's club' where successful and wannabee adventurers used to hang out for this sort of thing. Haven't heard of anything modern like that."

"But then, again, I don't move in those circles either."


Kind of shocked that he was given a share of the recovery fee... it wasn't unreasonable, just unexpected, he was willing to throw it in to the pot.

"And you can add my share to the ship's fund. Kind of feels like the three Musketeers--one for all and all for one. Only there are 8 of us. Maybe we can start a new legend--the Eight Musketeers. Oh. I hope that doesn't mean we have to use actual muskets."

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:31, Tue 15 Nov 2016.

Kraig Pars
 Player, 373 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Wed 16 Nov 2016
at 02:44
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig laughed; "Eight is a lucky number, I'll go with that."  He thought for a bit.  "I have a good friend on Regina Alister Mercken.  He's a shipping insurance executive and should be able to steer us well on cargo and rumors of where the money is being made."


Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 224 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Wed 16 Nov 2016
at 21:05
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"I come from Regina. My old stomping ground before setting out with Steve on adventure and profit." Gahler added. "Lots of opportunities ahead."
Roland Steen
 Player, 115 posts
Thu 17 Nov 2016
at 15:19
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"I don't have much in the way of money to put in o the cargo pool, at least not until I replace some of my personal gear I lost when my ship was hit. I can nose around and see if there are any passengers that are looking for transport, or any...jobs to be hand." Roland spoke up after listening to the others."I don't mind a bit of freelancing, or troubleshooting but we are in a war so the odds of the trouble shooting back are a bit higher than usual."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 377 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sun 20 Nov 2016
at 06:07
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Certainly see what you can find in the way of rumors or passengers Roland.  With the war on we'll need to keep on our toes."
Roland Steen
 Player, 116 posts
Sun 20 Nov 2016
at 23:10
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"One thing." Roland Stopped as e grabbed his kit bag." We just jumped in from behind enemy lines. I am willing to bet Security and Counter Intelligence are going to be  more than a little jumpy right now. Let's not do anything to get their attention."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 379 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Mon 21 Nov 2016
at 00:37
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig nods.  "I'm surprised that we were not debriefed more thoroughly about the Swordie invasion."
StarMaster
 GM, 385 posts
 Referee
Mon 21 Nov 2016
at 05:01
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
OOC: Actually, the 'interview' with the authorities took several hours. I just kind of fast-forwarded past it rather than drag it out for a month of boring role-playing.
Ignatius Maor
 Player, 138 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Tue 22 Nov 2016
at 01:42
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
IM pleased with his new found wealth says "I'm willing to add some funds to the pot. I'm no merchant, but we ought to be able to make a few credits. War is supposed to good for business."
Roland Steen
 Player, 117 posts
Tue 22 Nov 2016
at 05:16
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
In reply to Ignatius Maor (msg # 339):

"It's only profitable if you survive the parts involving weapons fire." Roland chuckled." Which is why I plan to stock up on a few essential supplies."
Ignatius Maor
 Player, 139 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Wed 23 Nov 2016
at 15:23
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
IM snorts "Or unknown diseases, air loss and the occasional war... Yea, it always seems to devolve into shooting."

Looking over at Roland "Just out of curiosity what do you consider essential supplies?"
Roland Steen
 Player, 118 posts
Thu 24 Nov 2016
at 00:44
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Before I was a not so successful crewman. I was a Fairly successful marine." Roland shrugged and absently rubbed the tattoo under his shirtsleeve. "I think at least one of us should be prepared for responding to trouble with superior firepower. Call it healthy paranoia."
Luise Wechsler
 player, 83 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Thu 24 Nov 2016
at 09:09
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Luise says: "Having adequate firepower as soon as possible may be a good idea, both for us and the ship. We won't be able to buy everything right away though. We've got running costs and need some capital to invest incargo, as well."
Steve Cable
 NPC in Memoriam, 341 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Fri 25 Nov 2016
at 18:53
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Well, make up your mind!" Steve grumbles at all the argy-bargy going on.

"You've got enough money to buy weapons. You've got enough money to buy cargo. Do you have enough to do both?"

"You might want to consider if you are going to take standard cargo and a mail contract."

"Personally, I think we should skip on passengers at the moment... unless we get an offer we can't refuse... even if we should."

"I'll head out with Arc and Hans to see what kind of trouble we can find to shoot."

"Oh, yeah, in case it wasn't obvious, my share of the recovery reward also goes into the ship's kitty."


He heads out with Arc and Hans and anyone else going along.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 381 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Fri 25 Nov 2016
at 22:20
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig shrugs.  "With what it costs to run this ship we'll want to carry passengers as well as speculative cargo.  I do agree we should buy some personal weapons for those that can use them for security.  The ship is armed which helps.  Let's go see what is going on groundside now that we know where we are headed."
Roland Steen
 Player, 119 posts
Sat 26 Nov 2016
at 01:02
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
" Once I get the gear I can figure out how much I have to put into a cargo pool. I'm looking at over a 100k outlay at least. That's assuming I can get everything I lost when the War Kicked off." Roland replied pulling up a list on his hand comp."That leaves about 40 Kay to invest on cargo."

"Right now I have my armor, My rifle and the clothes on my back. Everything else I lost when I jumped into the life pod you found me in. Now if I put some money in personal gear and weapons I am kitted up to handle a stand-up fight with anything short of an Assault marine.

"Unless someone else wants to volunteer to be the one drawing heavy when,not if, we run into it. Then I can make due with what I have."

Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 226 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Sat 26 Nov 2016
at 01:42
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Gahler shrugged, "I have a room clearer shotgun and submachine with flechette for ship board duties."
"I also believe we need a few high passage folk. Do we have a steward and a medic?"

Pausing in thought, "I know Steve has some Medic skills and I could do Steward when not piloting."
"We should check the crew skill profiles and check."

A few moments of using the ship's computer, "Arc has medic and Kraig has steward. So we are set for passengers."

This message was last edited by the player at 02:08, Sat 26 Nov 2016.

Roland Steen
 Player, 121 posts
Sat 26 Nov 2016
at 01:50
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
In reply to Gahler Grohlson (msg # 347):

"I can handle passengers, at least the basics." Roland gestured to the rear of the ship." But I'm up to my elbows in the engine room."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 383 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sat 26 Nov 2016
at 03:56
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"I can handle passengers as well and trade off with Gahler piloting.  I really do think we should grab passengers.  With the war going on I'd expect there will be a refugee traffic that might raise prices."  He looked to Roland.  "I'm glad you are well kitted out Roland.  I have a good pistol and SMG but could use a full set of cloth armor."
Ignatius Maor
 Player, 140 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Sat 26 Nov 2016
at 20:42
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
IM notes "I can assist in the Engine room, on sensors, navigation and as a gunner. No steward skills or anything in that vein.I'm pretty good at finding out hings when we are dirtside."
Thinking a moment "If we are going to getting into situations calling for us to be shot at I could do with some armor. Just have the scout body suit and Protect. I have a ACC I picked up for the Scout base when I went on my outing, a Gauss pistol and a silenced hold out pistol."
Luise Wechsler
 player, 85 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Sun 27 Nov 2016
at 08:42
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Luise quickly wonder how she could help. She remembered her course in engineering, so long agoi, and her training as a medic. But then she thought it better not to divulge just how incompetent she was as a captain: "I'm glad that we are such a qualified team", she said instead.
Roland Steen
 Player, 126 posts
Mon 28 Nov 2016
at 14:41
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
" A merry band of semi-skilled, intenerate loners thrust together by fate." Roland gave a lopsided grin." I think I've seen that holo."

"If you don't mind I am going to catch up with the others and get the lay of the land."

Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 228 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Mon 28 Nov 2016
at 21:49
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Well it seems we have everything sorted. I will post for High passage and Low berth passengers and cargo for Dinomn and then onto Regina. See what can be found."
"Do we have departure date, Captain?"


"I will walk with you Roland. Need to stretch my legs anyways."

This message was last edited by the player at 21:50, Mon 28 Nov 2016.

Kraig Pars
 Player, 387 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Tue 29 Nov 2016
at 02:18
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig nodded in agreement with the plans.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 234 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Mon 9 Jan 2017
at 07:03
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Gahler sends in a communications post to the ship's bridge.
"We have a couple wishing mid passage to Dinomn, a Mrs & Mr. Tennyson."

"Do we have a predicted departure date so I can inform them."

This message was last edited by the player at 07:04, Mon 09 Jan 2017.

Luise Wechsler
 player, 88 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Mon 9 Jan 2017
at 13:31
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Luise wasn't really sure, but she knew she wanted to see something new.

"Time is money. The sooner we can leave, the better. I think we have the freight aboard, don't we?"

This message was last edited by the player at 13:32, Mon 09 Jan 2017.

Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 235 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Mon 9 Jan 2017
at 23:01
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Not sure. Usually the cargo factors take a day or so to get things sorted." Gahler replied.
StarMaster
 GM, 400 posts
 Referee
Fri 27 Jan 2017
at 21:23
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Small ships like the Dust Runner can usually get cargo loaded within one day. Time IS money, and the freight loaders know this. Luise was buying speculative cargo that was, essentially, sitting in a warehouse looking for a shipper. Once the agreement was reached and funds transferred, the cargo was immediately moved to the ship for loading. In this instance, the loading fee was included in the negotiated price; it usually is.

The computer shows that 85% of the cargo is loaded and secured; the rest is in the process of being loaded.

After that, you'd just be waiting on the passengers, and then lift-off clearance.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 394 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Tue 7 Feb 2017
at 06:24
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig will oversee the loading of the cargo when it comes aboard.
StarMaster
 GM, 403 posts
 Referee
Wed 8 Feb 2017
at 17:57
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Just like these days you can program a computer to make maximum use of a sheet of plywood, cargo programs do the same thing. The ship has its cargo configuration loaded into the computer, and the program determines the most efficient way to load and secure the cargo.

The cargo master oversees the process because even an AI can't figure out human quirks about what will need access to, what may need to be unloaded first, etc. The more complicated these parameters get, the more the program will fight the quartermaster.

The rest of the cargo is loaded without a hitch.
StarMaster
 GM, 405 posts
 Referee
Thu 9 Feb 2017
at 15:14
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
=== Luise and Kraig ===


Kraig was seeing to the loading of the rest of the cargo, which includes the upgrade to the ship's locker. That'll be the last item in since it will then have to be broken out and distributed through the ship.


Meanwhile, Luise has been notified that there are three potential passengers. She's given the details, since, as captain, she has final say as to whether she'll accept them. Two of them, the Tennysons, are already approaching the ship in anticipation of boarding.

Luise can also begin filing the ship's flight plan and requesting departure clearance.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 396 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sat 11 Feb 2017
at 07:54
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig kept a careful eye on the loading as he had no desire to be cheated.
Luise Wechsler
 player, 93 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Sat 11 Feb 2017
at 11:33
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Luise, despite privte misgivings about carrying passengers when so much money could be made from just transporting cargo, keeps her doubts to herself and okays the arrangements to keep the team motivated.

She files the flight plan and, as soon as possible, asks the computer to connect her to the operator for clearance.

A new world. A new business opportunity.
StarMaster
 GM, 413 posts
 Referee
Mon 13 Mar 2017
at 15:39
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
As the Dust Runner's departure was imminent (within the hour), the Tennysons reached the ship and boarded under the watchful eye of Kraig. Since the only other person on board was Luise, she had to show them to their quarters.

Short of locking them in their quarters, she wasn't comfortable letting them have the run of the ship without anyone else aboard, but she requested they settle in and remain in their quarters until they were in space. If they had any questions, please use the intercom.


Gahler and IM got back to the ship with the third passenger a bit before Luthar, and Mr. Smith was escorted onto the ship. He was shown to his quarters.


Hans and Arc were just behind them.


Steve had remained behind to cover Roland. Unfortunately, Roland had made all the noise, and unless he was planning on ducking out pronto, he'd have to face the music. If he did duck out and head for the ship, the ship would likely lift off before the police investigation identified him. He could always transmit his statement to them while they were heading for jump.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 242 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Mon 13 Mar 2017
at 23:21
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
With the arrival back at the ship, Gahler guided Mr Smith to the bridge to meet the Captain. "Mr Smith this is our Ship's Captain."
Ignatius Maor
 Player, 153 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Tue 14 Mar 2017
at 01:52
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
IM, with Mr. Smith and Gahler. He says "The bar got a bit hectic, Captain. Mr. Smith here is getting his wish for a swift departure. We can take care of of the fee and then get you situated."
Roland Steen
 Player, 139 posts
Tue 14 Mar 2017
at 15:04
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Roland made his way to the bridge noting the passengers and preparations for launch. " I may need to file a report to the police, on the way out of the system might be best....Someone started shooting fro an air vent looked like a professional hit. Sneaky bastard probably got away clean but he may need to change his underwear."
Luthar Argot
 player, 19 posts
 Baron
 Imperial Navy Commander
Thu 16 Mar 2017
at 14:23
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
from Dust Runner Other Areas #46
link to a message in this game

Luthar followed Kraig to the Upper Deck.

He stopped right there as he saw the men from the Nexus, obviously part of the Crew of the Dust Runner.
But when he saw, and recognized, the deference to who could only be the captan of the ship his jaw dropped open in a brief episode of stunned amazement.
"Baroness Luise de Wechsler ?", he asked, quite incredulously.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:31, Thu 16 Mar 2017.

Kraig Pars
 Player, 404 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sat 18 Mar 2017
at 06:58
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig led Luthar to the bridge, pointing out features of the ship as they went.  He knocked and then entered the bridge.  "Captain, this is our new passenger, Luthar Argot."
Luise Wechsler
 player, 94 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Sat 18 Mar 2017
at 21:32
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Luise turned and surveyed the man who was being introduced as Luthar Argot. She'd known a baron by that name, but with billions of sentients in just the known galaxy, there could very well be hundreds of people with that name. True, it's not like his name was John Smith (they already had one of those on board), but she was just making sure.

It'd been awhile, but this looked like the Luthar Argot she'd met all those years ago.

"Hello, Luthar. It's been a few years," she said. "As you can see, I've become a robber baron." She gestured around at the ship.

"What have you been up to?"
Roland Steen
 Player, 140 posts
Sun 19 Mar 2017
at 02:35
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Being targeted by professional assassins." Roland commented absently as he sat down at the  engineering station to begin the take off prep
Luthar Argot
 player, 22 posts
 Baron
 Imperial Navy Commander
Mon 20 Mar 2017
at 06:41
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Luthar was recovering and was about to answer Luise's question when one of the men he had seen in the Nexus came right down to business.
"Well, actually I do not think that I was the target, unless the sniper were of doubtable skill. You call him professional, so I suppose you are of the same opinion that indeed the man in question was skilled well enough. A single shot straight to the head is quite a feat and rarely happens at random. So I am fairly sure that indeed the true target was the man who had confronted me in the Nexus."
He turned to Luise again.
"Actually, you ought to know the man, since he had detailed information about your ship and your Destination. And he even had a High Class ticket for that journey. Seeing as the man definitely won't need this ticket any more I took it. That's why I'm here. To leave Ghandi and head for Dinomn."
"Say, have you talked to a Mr. Blanchard before and sold him this ticket ?"

Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 243 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Mon 20 Mar 2017
at 09:05
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Sitting in the pilot console prepping the ship, "I didn't sell Mr. Blanchard a high passage ticket. Just the Tennysons." Gahler looked over to add to the conversation.

This message was last edited by the player at 09:06, Mon 20 Mar 2017.

Steve Cable
 NPC in Memoriam, 345 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Wed 22 Mar 2017
at 20:52
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
As the others discussed the situation, Steve sat at one of the bridge consoles and began typing into the computer. The first thing he did was do a web search for this Blanchard fellow. Unless he was totally black ops, there was bound to be something. He didn't figure he'd have to dive too deep.

While he was at it, he'd scan the news and police bands about the shooting.

Next, he delved into the cargo manifest system. As Luthar had said, he had to have bought the ticket at some point, though it didn't necessarily have to be from a person. The ship only had a Level-4 rating for background checks, though.

He quickly discovered that the ticket had been bought on the automated system 30 seconds after Luise had filed the flight plan. That probably meant that Blanchard had been trolling for quick flights.

"Blanchard is a registered private investigator," he told the others what he'd found. "He's had a run-in with the law a few times, but what PI worth anything hasn't?"

"It looks like he was trolling for a flight to anywhere as long as it was leaving soon. It sure looks like he knew what you wanted, Luthar. He probably had an idea something was going to happen. He was trying to get you out of the way before it did."

"Off the top of my head, I'd guess the sniper had no idea who you were or why Blanchard was talking to you. It wasn't a scheduled meeting, was it?"

Roland Steen
 Player, 141 posts
Wed 22 Mar 2017
at 22:09
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"The shooter only took one shot as You wee running. But he did take the time to shoot." Roland replied to Luther's response. "If yu weren't his primary target you became a secondary target. Just want to be sure you know you may have been caught up in a pretty serious problem."
Luthar Argot
 player, 25 posts
 Baron
 Imperial Navy Commander
Thu 23 Mar 2017
at 07:01
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Luthar listened to the man on the computer console.
"Yes, he did say he was an invesigator."
"Strange thing is, I did not know myself until just a couple of days ago that I would leave behind Ghandi. I certainly have not made that decision public . Nevertheless, a PI surely may have learned that."
"In fact, he actually did say that he had done his research on me."
, he said, puzzled by the actual fact and that he would only recall that detail now.
"And no, it was not a scheduled meeting. In fact I entered the Nexus on a whim, really. And Blanchard adressed me just like that."
"I also was not of the impression that he had any good intentions for me, like rigging things for an immediate departure."

Luthar paused.
"He had asked me about some alien device I had encountered years ago. A Scout had offered it to me in the Dentus System on the coreward border of the Imperium. I sold to the next best fellow when I realized it was just junk. Blanchard asked where I had encountered this item, and for that information he offered this ticket."
"Blanchard mumbled something about some scientific data on the device but I cannot really recall."

He showed them Blanchard's com unit which he had grabbed upon his flight from the bar and displayed the image of what the PI had shown the ex-Navy.
"This is the device I am talking about."
The image shows a greenish metallic silver in color, about the size of a soccer ball, and is segmented like a soccer ball just not in hexagons and octagons. One side of the sphere did, however, have a hexagonal indentation in it. There is a small smear of red paint in one of the corners of this indentation.
"Blanchard definitely was the primary target. I think, I hope, the sniper only shot at me when I fled."
"Then a gunfight broke out as I heard many shots. I did not look back, though, but continued to flee."

Kraig Pars
 Player, 406 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Fri 24 Mar 2017
at 01:11
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig heads down to keep watch at the hatch.
StarMaster
 GM, 416 posts
 Referee
Fri 24 Mar 2017
at 02:46
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Since all aboard what's going aboard, Kraig can close the hatch. He doesn't see anyone approaching the ship.

Departure time is scheduled for 5 minutes from now.
Steve Cable
 NPC in Memoriam, 346 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Fri 24 Mar 2017
at 02:52
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"You didn't have the right angle of view," Steve explains to Luthar.

"I'm not even sure the sniper knew you were there... exactly. If his perch was that vent that Roland shot up, then he might not have been able to depress his sights enough to see you or to shoot you. Thus, the shot while you were on the run... and while Roland was shooting at him."

"Even the best of snipers can have trouble hitting a moving target."

"The local police are investigating the shooting, but so far, there doesn't seem to be anything to report. Then again, they usually knock on your door before they do."

"They seem to be having trouble identifying the body."

Kraig Pars
 Player, 407 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sat 25 Mar 2017
at 05:00
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig makes one last check of the exterior of the ship and then seals the hatch.  He heads up to the bridge.  "All sealed and ready to go."  He slides into the astrogator's seat and brings up the comms and sensors.
StarMaster
 GM, 417 posts
 Referee
Sun 26 Mar 2017
at 09:45
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
The five minutes pass without incident, and the all-clear signal from ASTC (Air-Space Traffic Command) comes through. Gahler brings the grav engines on-line, and the ship lifts off. Sensors indicate clear skies, and the nav beacon the ship was assigned is loud and clear.

It isn't until you clear atmosphere that you receive a request to return for inquiries about the shooting. However, it's just a 'polite' request. It's not a demand; no threats are made, no ships appear to change course to come after you, and no orbital weapons platforms target you.

You are still GREEN out to the jump limit.
Luise Wechsler
 player, 95 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Sun 26 Mar 2017
at 15:51
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Luise stares at the green button. This looks good, too good, and she feels like she is making a mistake, but she can't just blow the whole thing off. The men would make jokes about women being moody and incapable of leading.

So she makes herself smile as if she didn't have a care in the world as she says: "Engage."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 244 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Sun 26 Mar 2017
at 21:06
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Brace for Jump Space." Gahler called over the coms.
10 seconds later the ship was put into J-space.
Luthar Argot
 player, 27 posts
 Baron
 Imperial Navy Commander
Tue 28 Mar 2017
at 05:40
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
So used to being on the bridge of a spacefaring vessel Luthar suddenly became quite aware that those times were well over and that - being essentially just a passenger, regardless of his previous encounters with some of the crew, including the captain - there was no reason to remain on the bridge.
Luthar cleared his throat, a bit embarrassed about this breach of ship etiquette, he nodded respectfully to each crewmember and said.
"Well, it sure looks like we won't be seeing Ghandi any time soon again."
"If there is nothing further you require of me for now, I will retreat to the passenger area."

He took back the com device he had shown them and started to get back to the Lower Deck, not quite sure if any sliding doors, iris valves or indeed the elevator may be safeguarded against trespassing.
Which was why he glanced at Kraig.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:41, Tue 28 Mar 2017.

Kraig Pars
 Player, 409 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Tue 28 Mar 2017
at 05:58
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig secured the ship and headed up to the bridge for the take off and transition to jump space.  He sat in the navigator's position as they boosted from the planet.  As they approached the jump point he double checked the jump solution and fed it into the controls.  "All ready to Jump."

Once the ship settled into jump space Kraig locked down his console until they would emerge a week later.  He stood and nodded to Luthar.  "I'll escort you back to your cabin Luthar.  I think a drink is called for at this point."  He opened the hatch and headed down to the passenger deck.
Roland Steen
 Player, 142 posts
Tue 28 Mar 2017
at 07:01
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Roland babysat an engineering terminal keeping an eye n things till they were in Jumpspace glad t be seeing the last of the planet for a while.


" I'll help you get settled and give you a run down of the ship." Roland spoke up with a friendly smile. "I'm about as close as it gets to a steward aboard ship right now. I'm going to go see if any if our other passengers need anything but I'll get you whatever you need."
Luthar Argot
 player, 28 posts
 Baron
 Imperial Navy Commander
Tue 28 Mar 2017
at 07:14
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Luthar smiled at Roland, thankful for the offer.
"That", he pointed at the engineering terminal, "does not strike me as a steward's typical workstation, though."
"I served too long in the Navy, I guess, where crews are much larger than on civilian craft, and so I might take some time to get used to multi-funtional personnel."

Luthar shrugged.
"Seeing the ship would be much appreciated indeed. I have never seen this particular design before and as an engineer myself I have to admit that I am intrigued."
Roland Steen
 Player, 143 posts
Tue 28 Mar 2017
at 15:17
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
In reply to Luthar Argot (msg # 387):

"Until the swordies went and shot down my last ride I was a merchant crewman." Roland glanced at the console." Before that, I was a marine, 3150th Assault Batallion..and a few other jobs."

he walked with Luthar back to the passenger area made a few comments about the layout of the ship.where to find the freshers, where he could set out his laundry to be cleaned what time they tried to serve dinner, a standard welcome to the ship speech....minus the "please don't mistaken the airlock for the fresher" he reserved for obvious first timers on a starship.
Ignatius Maor
 Player, 154 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Wed 29 Mar 2017
at 02:20
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
IM parks at the sensor station running all the normal checks while listening to the chatter on the bridge.
Luthar Argot
 player, 29 posts
 Baron
 Imperial Navy Commander
Thu 30 Mar 2017
at 06:05
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"I could not help noticing that this vessel is armed.", Luthor commented, "Did it ever come up to turn around ? I mean, you're heading coreward, straight away from the front. I always thought...", he paused, then he added with a smile, "Actually I know... that war can be profitable for small vessels and crews."
Luise Wechsler
 player, 96 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Thu 30 Mar 2017
at 09:30
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Luise answers: "Well, if I was a pirate, I'd rather go for an unarmed trader than for us. Of course, there are navy patrols, but there is little satisfaction in knowing tht they might bring the pirates to justice that are bout to push you out of the airlock. And, the fact that we are heading into safer waters also means that we are coming from regions whose concepts of security are - how can I put this -  rather atavistic, regions in which a big gun and a competent crew can really make a difference."


Luthar Argot
 player, 30 posts
 Baron
 Imperial Navy Commander
Fri 31 Mar 2017
at 06:03
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Luthar listened to Luise.
"Oh, pardon me for not being clear. I never meant to refer to piracy."
He paused.
"But as you mention it."
"With an armed ship like this and with the fleet being occupied by the war, escort duty or indeed any duty really that falls under a Letter of Marque authorisation would be one of the various possibilities to profit from the Sword World incursion. To offer your expertise as privateers."
, he added.
Luthar then shrugged.
"What I initially meant, however.", he added with a sheepish grin, "was smuggling."
Luise Wechsler
 player, 97 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Fri 31 Mar 2017
at 11:31
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Luise raises a quizzical eyebrow: "Smuggling?"

She shakes her head: "You don't need lasers for smuggling. The authorities will always outgun you, so your best bet is to look inconspicuous if you're a smuggler. The war will reduce the amount of transportation capacity available, which will make legitimate business more profitable. The margin is better close to the front, but I don't want some general to seize the ship."


Steve Cable
 NPC in Memoriam, 347 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Fri 7 Apr 2017
at 21:51
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"It all depends on what we're smuggling," Steve offers. "Some things aren't good, but many things have arbitrary laws concerning them. Many have valid reasons, but booze and medicine aren't usually among them."

"Besides, it's a completely different ballgame to intentionally set out to be a smuggler and something just dropping into your lap."

"I'm against the former, but not averse to the latter."

"We just need to see what we find when we get to.... where are we going again?"

Luthar Argot
 player, 31 posts
 Baron
 Imperial Navy Commander
Sat 8 Apr 2017
at 08:12
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Dinom", Luthar said
Steve Cable
 NPC in Memoriam, 348 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Sat 8 Apr 2017
at 16:01
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Never heard of it," Steve replied. "Must be a dive. Oh, well. One dive is as good as another."

"So, have we decided we're going to make our way through the galaxy as good little traders?"


Anything else he might have been willing to pursue probably wasn't in Luise's playbook, which is why he cast a questioning glance in her direction.
Luise Wechsler
 player, 98 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Sun 9 Apr 2017
at 09:50
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Luise shrugged: "I am not Saint Luise, patron saint of the timid, and our next stop won't be a nunnery. I don't mind other jobs than trading, but if they are more risky, they should also be more lucrative. Money is not the only thing I am interested in - knowledge, power, high tech items or a clone of my body at age 20 - especially a body at age 20 if I really think about it - there are so many things that could entice me. But for now, I suggest we stick to low risk jobs until we find risks that are worth taking."

She turned to the others: "We'll be spending a lot of time on board the ship - maybe we can use that time to advance our skills. Anything you are planning to do with our boring time between the stars? Or anything that would be worth taking more risks? Tech, drugs, treasures - shoot me."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 245 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Thu 13 Apr 2017
at 10:07
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Low risk but great profit is what we wish. Anything else we need to think about before agreeing to do." Gahler contributed, "ending up in court or detention is not in my life plan."
Steve Cable
 NPC in Memoriam, 349 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Thu 13 Apr 2017
at 18:41
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"I think it's probably safe to say that no one ever has a life-plan of 'hardened criminal' with a lifetime in prison," Steve responds.

"It's hard to find something that's low risk, high profit, whether it's legal or not. More often than not, an 'opportunity' drops in your lap, and you have to decided whether the reward is worth the risk. It always helps if it's something you not only like to do but are good at it. That's the case with mercenaries."

"The rest of us just fumble about until we find something that tickles our fancy. We may not be good at it, but we give it a shot anyway."

"It seems as if we are taking a stab at being traders, but it also doesn't sound like our hearts are in it. Risk is minimal, and far too arbitrary. At the moment, it's merely a means to an end... which was getting away from the war."

"I started out as a skip-tracer... recovering ships that have been stolen by people that stopped making payments. That's turned out pretty well, since we now have a ship for our efforts, though that's in no small part due to Luise having been a part owner."

"The risk can be high, but it's legal. I'm thinking trade should be a stop-gap measure, and we should focus on recoveries."

This message was last edited by the player at 02:51, Fri 14 Apr 2017.

Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 246 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Fri 14 Apr 2017
at 00:17
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"I have no issue with Skip Tracing, Steve. It is why I am here with you, remember."

"it be certainly a long way from when I first met you. Eyeing down some hijackers you managed to stir up while doing a ship repossession."


"So if we get wind of another repossession, we should endeavour to chase it down."
Luthar Argot
 player, 32 posts
 Baron
 Imperial Navy Commander
Thu 20 Apr 2017
at 08:40
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Luthar listened with interest. But essentially his interest was directed at realizing that this seemed to not be a crew who have traveled together for a long time, at least not completely.
He shrugged, not having expected civilians to be interested in the war and thus not having any issue with their approach to life.
He smiled.
"Away from the war it is. Perfectly fine with me, and indeed Dinomn is most likely just a necessary stop for refueling. I would assume you already have your next destination planned even."
StarMaster
 GM, 421 posts
 Referee
Thu 27 Apr 2017
at 23:44
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
With no other destination suggested, the ship continues on to the jump point without any course correction being entered. In theory, changing the destination at the last minute could cause a misjump as the new destination would require a different vector. A misjump doesn't happen very often, though.

There is no problem in the system, so the ship reaches the jump point without any problems, and then makes the transition into jump space on its course for Dinomn.

The trip through jump space is also uneventful, other than the usual little repairs and maintenance things that crop up.


OOC: I think, to keep things simple, everyone can develop one skill while the ship is in jump space. Ranks 0, 1 or 2 are okay. Ranks 3, 4, or 5 will require 2 jumps.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 410 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sat 29 Apr 2017
at 05:57
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig looked up from his console as the ship went into Jump.  "When you mean recoveries Steve are you thinking of skip tracing or going after wrecks and salvage?  If for one am not adverse to trading but I think that closer to the front that while the risks are higher we can run cargoes and even missions for much higher profits, enough to pay for a cloned body even."
Steve Cable
 NPC in Memoriam, 350 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Sat 29 Apr 2017
at 19:58
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"While I'm obviously not adverse to skip-tracing," Steve replied, "I'm thinking our crew has gotten large enough to make that a bit... awkward. So, unless something just happens to drop in our lap, your ideas, Kraig, seem a bit more feasible--salvage, rescue, retrievals, maybe just general trouble-shooting."

"We can continue doing trade, at least to pay the bills, and use it as a cover for our other ops."

Ignatius Maor
 Player, 156 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Sat 29 Apr 2017
at 21:26
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
IM notes "I'm all for trouble-shooting and retrieval. While I've nothing against rescue if it crops up, that doesn't seem to be a very lucrative option. Salvage sounds kinda like treasure hunting, lots of research, specialized equipment and probably have some competition."

He shrugs "All in all I'm open to what every makes credits, that is without too much loss of life or our ship."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 412 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sun 30 Apr 2017
at 22:20
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig nodded.  "Salvage can be a bit cut throat as a full time profession. I like Steve's suggestion of trading as a steady income and cover leavened with a good bit of trouble shooting and side missions.  With the war on there is going to be a need for trouble shooting."
Luthar Argot
 player, 34 posts
 Baron
 Imperial Navy Commander
Tue 2 May 2017
at 06:50
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Luthar listened with interest but had nothing to contribute.
Steve Cable
 NPC in Memoriam, 351 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Tue 2 May 2017
at 18:14
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Yeah, if we're doing rescue of workers in a mine, it ain't going to pay much, even if insurance covers it," Steve replied. "Besides, we don't have the specialized equipment to cover those kinds of contingencies."

"What I meant was someone's daughter has been kidnapped or has vanished... or whatever. More often than not, the police get involved. But not everyone trusts the police to get the job done."

"It's risky, of course, but, let's face it, no one's gonna pay us Big Credits just to connect the dots!"


He noticed the Luthar was remaining quiet. As a new member of the group, that kind of made sense, but he needed to offer some kind of input.

"Luthar. If you are only going as far as Dinomn, no problem. In case you might want to stick around for the fun and games, though, what kind might you be interested in?"
Kraig Pars
 Player, 415 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Wed 3 May 2017
at 00:34
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"There may even be war time missions both for planet, subsector, sector or imperial governments or the military.  Or there will be private missions brought on by war time problems."
Luthar Argot
 player, 36 posts
 Baron
 Imperial Navy Commander
Wed 3 May 2017
at 05:39
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Luthar gave a start.

"Oh, I didn't... I mean... I..."

The ex-navy took a breath then smiled.

"Apologies; I was not aware that this might become anything but a mere passenger service."

"From what I have heard, the direction is fixed. Meaning: no involvement in the war in any way,"
he nodded.

"Naval escort and patrol duty will be lessened, especially the further we draw away from the war zone. As such, it is to be expected that piracy will increase somewhat, so it is good that the ship is armed," he added for good measure.

"I already mentioned the potential of smuggling. Still, I do agree with Steve that outright smuggling, trafficking in general illegal goods, is too dangerous to pay the daily costs. But indeed, contraband might be an option. High profit, a bit less risky, locally illegal though. We'd better leave our hands off weaponry for now--the Navy is likely to be extra vigilant for those kind of smuggling enterprises."

Luthar paused, considering.

"The captain is right; better stick to the legal side of things for now."

He nodded, as if to convince himself, seemingly not too comfortable.

"Well, if we do dabble in regular trade, passenger transfer is a natural addition. The guest we have on board does not look like a regular passenger, though," he added with a grin.

"Salvage? Likely to be much more worthwhile near the war zone, no? And as already mentioned: it takes specialized equipment to actually generate income."

"Skiptracing? Would you only prefer to chase ships and their indebted captains or would you consider a more general approach, call it bounty hunting if you will. As is, I have no idea about the legal aspects of such a trade or profession, though. To find and bring back persons who, for whatever reasons, are wanted somewhere else sounds good to me. I would probably not go as far as talk about kidnapping, but in effect... if that's what it takes... I'm all for it."


Luthar sighed.

"Trade is mostly about planning. What is the next destination after Dinomn? Where does our passenger want to go?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:55, Fri 05 May 2017.

Arc Tangent
 Player, 38 posts
Fri 5 May 2017
at 20:09
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Isn't our other passenger going to Regina?" Arc tried to answer Luthar.

"Bounty hunting ships... i.e. skip-tracing, is perfectly legal. There's nothing to go after until a bench warrant has been issued for the person doing the skipping, and recovery of the ship is the primary goal. We don't have the authorization to outright kill the person, but if he cares more about the ship than his own life, that's his problem."

"There's a side effect to that, though: some insurance companies will hire you to get the ship rather than wait for the courts and police to track it down. For them, they are essentially losing money everyday that the ship is missing."

"As for contraband, it depends on how steep the laws are, particularly since they change fairly frequently. Sometimes it's just a fine if you are caught... plus you lose the contraband."

StarMaster
 GM, 425 posts
 Referee
Sun 14 May 2017
at 14:43
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Unless anyone has something else they wanted to do...


The two weeks pass uneventfully, as they usually do in jumpspace. The ship drops out after one week, of course, and the fuel bladders are emptied into the main tanks for the second leg of the journey.

That one progresses just the same.

Finally the ship comes out of J-space at Dinomn.

Was your target the planet Dinomn or the gas giant?
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 249 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Mon 15 May 2017
at 05:05
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Captain do you wish us to skim the gas giant or just head into Dinomn." Gahler queried, suspecting the ship to go straight to Dinomn. The extra time to skim would be costing more than buying fuel on the ground.
Luise Wechsler
 player, 102 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Mon 15 May 2017
at 12:42
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Luise answers from her room over the intercom: "Set a course for the port. We'll ask around there to see if there's pirate activity at the gas giant. We can always fuel up on the way out if it's quiet."


Then she heads to the bridge.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 250 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Mon 15 May 2017
at 21:43
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Aye Captain." Gahler replied via the com.

In the bridge off com.
"Hey coms, you wish to give Dinomn a call and see if they have a landing pad for us."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 416 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Mon 15 May 2017
at 22:44
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig will go ahead and contact the port, provide their information and request a berth.
StarMaster
 GM, 426 posts
 Referee
Tue 16 May 2017
at 16:03
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Having set course for the main planet, Dinomn, the ship dropped out of J-space at 107 diameters out. The ship's sensors/computer were immediately deluged with the usual requests for ID and purpose, and they picked up the transponder codes of 2 dozen ships in orbit around Dinomn.

There is no highport. The planet requires substantial high-tech resources to keep function as part of the interstellar community, and pays for them with agricultural products.

There is also only one starport on the ground, and it's not very big. At Kraig's request, he finds that there is a waiting list for a berth with an estimated wait time of three days. Landing space on the tarmac, however, is available immediately. There is no service at the open field. Fuel, for instance, would have to be trucked out to the ship, with the crew making the necessary arrangements. Same for any cargo to be dropped off or picked up.

It's also about a mile from the landing spot assigned to the starport, so you either walk or call a cab.

On the other hand, if you have cargo to drop off, there's no fee for a spot on the tarmac.
Luise Wechsler
 player, 103 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Tue 16 May 2017
at 17:55
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Luise straightens her clothes before entering the bridge. She checks the status and asks the crew if anyone objects to a spot on the tarmac.
Steve Cable
 NPC in Memoriam, 352 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Wed 17 May 2017
at 00:19
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"A couple more days in the ship in orbit shouldn't be a big deal," Steve replied, "but I don't see any problems with a spot on the tarmac. Makes me wonder what it's classed as a B-starport, though."

"Is it really that busy?"

Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 251 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Wed 17 May 2017
at 04:05
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Maybe we should scan the recent news and see what has caused the backlog in the starport. We could be walking into an insurrection or worse." Gahler queried, "You know any of the other ship captains in orbit, Captain?"
Luthar Argot
 player, 37 posts
 Baron
 Imperial Navy Commander
Wed 17 May 2017
at 05:07
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Well, it could be refugess from the front, but somehow I doubt that.", Luthar commented.
"An agricultural world. I think none of our goods will sell well on this planet."

This message was last edited by the player at 05:20, Wed 17 May 2017.

Ignatius Maor
 Player, 157 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Wed 17 May 2017
at 12:07
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
IM scans constantly after they enter the system. At Luthhar comment he opens a news feed and display it on one of the main displays, "There you go."
Luise Wechsler
 player, 104 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Wed 17 May 2017
at 14:01
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Luise nods in agreement: "Good thinking. Find out what's going on. As for prices, looking for a buyer is never wrong. It makes more sense to decide about selling once we know what they are offering. "
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 252 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Wed 17 May 2017
at 22:29
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Gahler puts the ship on autopilot while he has a gander at the news highlights in the past 2 weeks.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 417 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sat 27 May 2017
at 22:05
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig relays the options for berthing to the crew.  "I say we take the spot on the tarmac while there are places available.  I can call ahead to arrange fueling and supplies as well.  With a war on we'll want to attend to the basics in case something changes."
Luise Wechsler
 player, 105 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Sun 28 May 2017
at 05:20
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Luise raises a hand: "Let's wait and see what the local news are."
StarMaster
 GM, 427 posts
 Referee
Sun 28 May 2017
at 19:22
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
The 'front page' of the news is, naturally, about the war, but since it takes so long for ships and information to go from planet to planet, there's really nothing new in the news. Some is only a week old, of course, but you recognize that as being at least a month old.

Other than that, it seems to be 'business as usual'. No one expects the war to reach here.

There's the usual warmongers and war protesters. Everyone who thinks they are somebody has an opinion, exacerbated by the fact that they think their opinion is Right.

There's some market speculation on metals, weapons and energy.

Admiral Vorkosigan continues to deny that ships will be seized by the Imperial Navy for the war.

Dr. Hans Bomar claims to have discovered a derelict alien ship out in this system's Oort Cloud, and hopes to fund an expedition to recover it... soon. No one seems to take him seriously, as there has been mining in the Oort Cloud for over a century now, and the good doctor is a bit eccentric.

Heiress Magdalena de Olivier is getting married to Marl Tecumseh Jones next weekend. 10,000 people are expected to attend.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 418 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sun 4 Jun 2017
at 00:16
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig perks up and smiles.  "Hey, what about hunting for a derelict alien ship.  It might be low margin but it is salvage of a sort.  We could cut a deal with this Bomar person for a share."
Ignatius Maor
 Player, 158 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Sun 4 Jun 2017
at 02:24
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
IM starts entering data and comments "Uhmm.. How about we check out the Dr. Bomar first."
Luise Wechsler
 player, 106 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Sun 4 Jun 2017
at 10:49
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"No signs of civil war or imminent danger", Luise sums up the news. "I think a chat with the doctor might be interesting. And it's good luck that there is a brisk market for weapons. I will check the prices once we're planetside. Bring her down! We've earned ourselves a few quiet moments."
StarMaster
 GM, 428 posts
 Referee
Sun 4 Jun 2017
at 17:49
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
After requesting and agreeing to a landing site, coordinates and a vector are transmitted to the Dust Runner.

Within a few minutes, the ship has successfully landed. The site is merely a flat slab of concrete. A lot of landing field starports use the berm system... a reinforced ring of concrete and dirt to funnel the explosion upward if a reactor goes critical. They are usually set in a group of 5 or 6 in a larger ring.

There are a few of these, but they are on the inside of the bunker wall that surrounds the main starport area.

The Dust Runner is one of about two dozen ships parked out on the tarmac. There is no shuttle service out to these ships, but a taxi service is available; that is, the starport permits taxis to go out there.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 419 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sun 4 Jun 2017
at 20:49
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
OOC: I think Gahler is piloting, not sure.

Once they are landed Kraig will make arrangements for fueling and basic life support provisioning.  He'll also get them hooking into the local Net as well as snoop a bit to see what other ships might be in port with them.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 254 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Mon 5 Jun 2017
at 01:59
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Gahler puts the ship gently down on the tarmac.
"We will need to keep a ship's security on watch at all times, Captain."
Luthar Argot
 player, 38 posts
 Baron
 Imperial Navy Commander
Mon 5 Jun 2017
at 08:11
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
After more than two weeks in transit, actually Luthar was hoping for an end to the quiet moments instead, but did not express his opinion.
"A marriage of an important personage might explain the number of ships.", he muttered instead.
He checked on the design of those nearby, trying to identify if tge majority were pleasure vessels of the rich. Then again, those would be unlikely to berth outside the actual starport.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 255 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Mon 5 Jun 2017
at 12:35
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"getting a copy of the ship registry might speed up, knowing what is about." Gahler added as he went through the complete power down of the ship.
"Local starport has a log of the ships arriving and how long ago."
StarMaster
 GM, 429 posts
 Referee
Thu 22 Jun 2017
at 00:31
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
As it turns out, there are two sources of ship's registry--the starport has one, of course, but a ship's captain can pay to have his ship kept off the list. It's expensive, so most captain's don't bother, especially since there usually isn't any good reason for it. The second source contributes to that--it's the 'social register'. The newsies are always looking for a good story, even if it means making one up. To that end, they actually look over the ships that land, check the registry and then try to finagle or fabricate a story about the ship, its history, its captain, or its passengers (whether there are any or not).

There's no ship listed on either list that has any significant relevance to any of the crew, or to the situation.

As near as anyone can tell, the ship traffic is normal. There does not seem to be any significant increase in ship traffic. Even as high as a 5% increase would be relatively insignificant.
Arc Tangent
 Player, 39 posts
Sun 25 Jun 2017
at 20:10
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"So, this place is always this busy!" Arc comments after reading the news reports and reviewing the ship registries.

"Yeah, ten thousand guests seems like a lot... for you and me... I'd be lucky to get ten! I see here the Marl is the non-inheriting son of Baron Ralsh. Ah! An industrial baron! So most attendees will be local anyway. Given travel times, any off-worlders attending the wedding will arrive during the week most likely."

"Anybody want to crash a wedding? If we manage to get in, it'll be free food and drinks!"

"Oh! Look at this! It says here Ms. de Olivier will have 15 bridesmaids! That certainly sounds like an opportunity!"

StarMaster
 GM, 430 posts
 Referee
Sun 25 Jun 2017
at 20:39
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
If it wasn't a bit sad, Kraig would find the lack of services funny. These flat tarmac 'berths' don't have any supply lines going out to them--no power, no fuel, no water, no sanitation. So the arrangement Kraig makes are with one of 3 companies that provide all that via vehicles--Excelsior Starport Services. The earliest Kraig can get delivery is in three hours after touchdown.

But, right on time, a small fleet of six vehicles comes out to the ship. There's the fuel truck, the sanitation truck, the water truck, the power truck, the supply truck, and the limousine. The power truck has a built in generator that supplies power to the starship while it's on the ground so that it doesn't use up its fuel, and can shut down the main reactor for maintenance, if necessary.

The supply truck is short, more like an airport baggage cart, but pulls three trailers behind it. All four sections carry various staple supplies. You can go out and look at the supplies in person (window shop) or do it on the computer ('window' shop). Cart 4 has clothing options. Cart 3 has food options. Cart 2 has machine parts. And the main cart has medical supplies and similar items, including ammunition, but no weapons. If you need more than what the carts carry, you can order it and it'll be deliver in 24 hours.

Oddly, the cost is only slightly higher than normal. Clearly the demand is generating competition, which drives the prices down.

One of the services provided is a map of the starport and surrounding startown... with all significant facilities indicated--hotels, restaurants, casinos, bail bondsmen, attorneys, equipment suppliers, ladies' auxiliaries (prostitutes), bars, and weapons dealers. You can focus on any one of those categories for specific types, such as high-end hotels, cheap hotels, hotels with spas, etc.

In the case of suppliers, Bouchard Eleganza--a fashion house clothier--is running a special on outfits for the wedding. Prices are supposedly halved, and they guarantee that no two will be alike.

The limousine is a 24-hour 'taxi' service. It'll take you anywhere you want to go, and return you to the ship within 24 hours. After 24 hours, you'd have to pay for the additional time.


As you are considering options, and waiting for the service to arrive... to make sure you are getting what you are requesting and paying for... the ship receives a call on the comm... from Dr. Hans Bomar.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 420 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Thu 29 Jun 2017
at 03:00
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
With the captain's permission Kraig will see to hooking up power and utilities as well as refueling.  With the uncertainty due to the war he was anxious to have the ship ready for a jump.  He passed along the information on the town and the choices for food to stock the ship.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 256 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Thu 29 Jun 2017
at 08:38
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"I can give you an Hand Kraig." Gahler offered, "need to stretch me legs on the tarmac."
Hans Matherson
 Player, 104 posts
 Ex Scout
Thu 29 Jun 2017
at 20:49
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
With Kraig and Gahler leaving the bridge to deal with the resupply, it wasn't quite so crowded now. It was spacious as bridges go, but there just wasn't always a place for everyone. The ship just didn't have enough functions that required monitoring by nine people, though, truth be told, he was still a bit unclear on Luthar's status. He was a Baron, and so had a reasonable expectation to be welcomed on the bridge since Luise was also a Baroness.

The nobility in the Empire always confused him anyway. As far as he knew, there were 25 different types of Baron... there was a Thursday Baron, a Saturday Baron, a Horse Baron, a Double Baron, an Eagle Baron (maybe there was a Birdie Baron, too!), an Under Baron, an Over Baron, and an Obtuse Baron. Those were the only ones of the 'joke barons' that made the rounds that he could remember. Like, the Thursday Baron was only a Baron on Thursdays.

For the moment, though, Hans was sitting at comms. He was surprised then when the ship received a comm request.

"Comm call," he announced, in case no one had noticed it. "It's from that quack with the hidden alien starship. Anybody want to take it?"

He doubted this guy had some alien wreck squirreled away anywhere, and, even if he did, it didn't seem likely that there'd be any profit in it. The best they could hope for was to write some thrilling adventure story about it and hope it sold... or was made into a vid.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 422 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Fri 30 Jun 2017
at 02:59
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Gahler Grohlson:
"I can give you an Hand Kraig." Gahler offered, "need to stretch me legs on the tarmac."


Kraig nodded gratefully to Gahler.  "Thanks, can you get the power while I hook up the hotel services?"
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 257 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Fri 30 Jun 2017
at 06:40
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Roger that." Gahler acknowledged.
Luise Wechsler
 player, 108 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Sat 1 Jul 2017
at 10:05
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Put him on the main screen", Luise said. She had always hated voice-only, or, worse, text-only communication. So much information was getting lost if you didn't see the person you were talking to.
Dr. Hans Bomar
 NPC, 1 post
 Scientist
Sat 1 Jul 2017
at 23:19
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
<COMM CALL>

"Hello, my name is Dr. Hans Bomar, and I would like to speak to the captain," the face on the screen said. When assured that he is, he continued.

"Greetings and felicitations, Captain... I mean, Baroness Welcher," he corrected himself after glancing aside at some notes.

"We've never met, but I have a venture that you are sure to be interested in. Might I call upon you this evening to discuss the matter?"
Kraig Pars
 Player, 423 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sun 2 Jul 2017
at 03:33
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
With the fuel, power and hotel services hooked up Kraig regards the remaining tasks.  "Let's get the replacement filters and life support consumables aboard Gahler."
Luise Wechsler
 player, 109 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Sun 2 Jul 2017
at 07:41
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Ignoring Kraig who was doing his best to ruin her moment of nobility by going on about something in the back and ignoring how the caller had mangled her name, she replied:

"Good morning, Dr. Bomar. My name is Luise Wechsler. I would be pleased to meet you at 1900 tonight. Although I can offer you the hospitality of my ship should you so desire, I'd also be willing to consider some location less prone to the distractions caused by the sad necessity of travel."

Let's see, she thought. It told a lot about a man if he preferred the hands-on approach of a meeting on board, the informal atmosphere of a family restaurant or the exclusiveness of a proper wine-and-dining.
Dr. Hans Bomar
 NPC, 2 posts
 Scientist
Sun 2 Jul 2017
at 09:47
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
<comm call>

"Oh, yes. Baroness Luise Wechsler. My apologies for mispronouncing your name," Bomar came back with. "Perhaps it is time for a new lens prescription, though that would not fix my 'lesdyxia'... as the joke goes. That's more of a Spoonerism, I should say."

"I could entertain you at the Confab restaurant in the Starport, or, if you'd prefer, the Stratosphere in the city. I expect the latter to be more in line for your social status, of course, but it is rather pricey for my limited means."

Luise Wechsler
 player, 110 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Mon 17 Jul 2017
at 21:35
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"I like your choice of the Stratosphere," Luise replied to the doctor. "I hope you don't mind if I bring my associates along? They are also my advisors and technical experts."

"As this will be a business meeting, I believe my expense account can cover the cost of the meal."

Dr. Hans Bomar
 NPC, 3 posts
 Scientist
Mon 17 Jul 2017
at 21:46
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
<comm call>


"No, no, I don't mind the company," Hans replied. "See you at 1900 in the Stratosphere."

He looked a bit smug/happy/excited as he disconnected the call.
Luise Wechsler
 player, 111 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Mon 17 Jul 2017
at 21:56
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
As soon as the call ended, Luise turned to the others.

"Find out about this Stratosphere," she said.

"It sounds like a swank place... probably some place I should be seen at. We need to know what the dress code is for this place. Nothing tanks your career like being overdressed... or underdressed, for that matter, though the latter is easier to explain away... when in Rome and all that."

"So... who wants to accompany me to this meeting?"


She glanced at the chronometer. 1900 was six hours away.

"Okay, we've got six hours till the meeting. I'll spend most of that time getting ready. Anyone else got something to do till then?"
Arc Tangent
 Player, 40 posts
Mon 17 Jul 2017
at 22:27
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Since Luise hadn't taken the comm in her quarters, everyone on the bridge could hear the conversation, so as soon as the restaurants had been suggested, Arc started looking them up on the local web.

The Confab looked to be a typical starport restaurant, though one that catered to business meetings. Nothing fancy to it, just table arrangements and private rooms for holding those meetings. Slightly high prices on drinks, but food was cheap and 'ordinary'.

The Stratosphere, on the other hand, elicited a low whistle from Arc, but he was ready to report when Luise asked.

"Yes, swank doesn't begin to describe it! It's perched atop the tallest building in the city, 50th floor. It's round and it rotates! It seats up to 800, which is mind-boggling to think that there's that many people here that could afford the 1,000Cr-a-plate dinner!"

"Fancy food! Most of it's stuff I can't even pronounce!"

"And you were right--it does have a dress code... semi-formal except on special occasions. Tonight doesn't appear to be one. The wedding reception is being held there! Today and tomorrow are the last two days it'll be open till after the wedding, as it's being prepped for the reception."

"I'd suggest making a reservation like a month ago, but they'll probably find a table for you, Luise."

Kraig Pars
 Player, 424 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Tue 18 Jul 2017
at 00:05
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig stepped into the bridge as he'd finished stowing the supplies.  "A fancy dinner on the ship's account?" He chuckled; "Count me in!"
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 258 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Tue 18 Jul 2017
at 01:16
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Gahler smiled, "Looks like I will need to go get a proper suit then."
"Any suggested tailors we should visit Captain?"
"I am thinking of tailored black formal suit with protect woven in. Considering the interesting times we now live in."

This message was last edited by the player at 01:19, Tue 18 July 2017.

Ignatius Maor
 Player, 159 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Tue 18 Jul 2017
at 02:17
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
IM stands up "Yea, I'm going to need dress togs myself, I lost quite a bit of my gear back on Lanth in all the invasion confusion."
Arc Tangent
 Player, 41 posts
Fri 21 Jul 2017
at 19:39
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Maybe I should have asked... is there anyone that doesn't want to go?" Arc said.

"Hey! Just had a thought! Yeah, yeah, I know how rare that is... Give me a sec to look up etiquette for this city/country/world. Not everyone defines 'semi-formal' the same way. We might all have to wear feather boas or something."

He continues tapping at the computer, delving into the world-wide web. It never ceased to amaze him how much obscure information was available. For example, if there were a thousand people who needed to wear semi-formal clothing at some time in the past 10 years, at least one of them would have felt compelled to put up a website being helpful to others with the same need.

In this case, it was someone named Brooke Salazar.

"Okay, got this site by someone named Brooke Salazar. She started the site about 12 years ago because she was in a similar situation. She updates it every 2-3 months, but maintains a running blog if you have any questions. Whether you could get an answer quick enough for our timetable is doubtful, though."

"She says that semi-formal for this region is currently a 3-piece suit for the men, but you could wear a 2-piece if you wanted people to think you're a country bumpkin. Her words, not mine. I was quoting."

"Women can wear a long dress... OR a suit. Funny, they don't say anything about the men wearing a long dress..."

"It should be something that's reasonably in fashion. So, no flared shoulders, no double lapels, no glitter or sequins. Here's a new one! She gives a range of colors that are acceptable, based on the designer code, including the equivalent printing code and automotive code."

"Basically, color is okay, just not anything garish or super-brite. Neon colors are OUT."

"And she even offers places where you can buy these fine accoutrements. Unless you are shopping for high fashion and designer-wear, you can get a suit at Galaxy Outfitters for 200 to 400 credits. Dresses run the same range."

"If you don't need it tailored, you can order online and have it delivered here. 50-credit charge for a quick delivery."

"Luthar, you probably don't need one, right? Or is a new one mandatory for hobnobbing?"

Kraig Pars
 Player, 425 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Fri 21 Jul 2017
at 23:28
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig sighed. "Well, I'd need a fresh suit."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 259 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Sat 22 Jul 2017
at 00:27
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Well it looks like a visit to Galaxy Outfitters." Gahler acknowledged, "anyone else coming?"
Roland Steen
 Player, 145 posts
Sat 22 Jul 2017
at 02:03
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Unless you think you need me at the meeting," Roland finally speaks up, "maybe I should stay on the ship. After all, we've got a paying passenger. I don't think he's interested in seeing the sights here. Someone's got to look after him."

"Besides, I've never cared for a monkey suit. It just doesn't feel right."

Hans Matherson
 Player, 105 posts
 Ex Scout
Sat 22 Jul 2017
at 02:20
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"That sounds like a plan to me, too," Hans adds his 2 credits.

"It isn't the suit that concerns me, but the setting and the crowd."

"Also, it sounds a bit too artsy-fartsy for my tastes. It's not like I eat from a horse trough, but still... fancy foods, fancy silverware and all the rest of the routine."

"Just don't come back and tell me how great the food was and how wonderful a time you had!"

Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 260 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Sat 22 Jul 2017
at 06:08
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Now when will you get a chance to brush up on your frivolous chatter than with an Artsy-fartsy gathering." Gahler chuckled.
"We will need to line up a limo too."
Luise Wechsler
 player, 113 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Sat 22 Jul 2017
at 08:26
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Luise was deep in thought and paid little attention to the prattling menfolk. Choosing the right outfit was of paramount importance. It wouldn't take long: There wasn't enough room for a proper wardrobe on board. Grimly, she remembered her rooms at her father's mansion. On the plus side, she might even fit in the blue one. She felt she had lost a pound or two in flight.
Arc Tangent
 Player, 42 posts
Sat 22 Jul 2017
at 19:01
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Damn! Apparently, patterns are out, as well," Arc adds. "I was going to go for a camouflage suit! With matching tie!"

"Anyway, regular ties are okay, but bow ties are in. String ties are out. No glow-in-the-dark ties, no ties that light up, and no musical ties."

"Boy, they sure know how to take the fun out of it, don't they?"


He went ahead and loaded in the Stratosphere website, clicked reservations for 8, put the time in for this evening, and listed the reservation under Baroness Luise Wechsler. As expected, it was first granted for 3 months time, then denied, and finally approved. He couldn't help wondering if someone else had been booted.

The site had even asked for a reason. He'd put 'social'. He didn't think they'd appreciate a 'business meeting'. Then again, maybe that was their raison d'etre, as opposed to, say, romance.

Next he called up a limousine service... in one hour for one day.

"Limo will be here in one hour. First destination is Galaxy Outfitters. For those who may not need a suit or dress, there is lots of other shopping you can do there."

"It should only be about a 10-minute ride from GO to the Stratosphere, so that should give us about 3 hours to suit up and shop."

Kraig Pars
 Player, 426 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sat 22 Jul 2017
at 19:08
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Thanks for setting things up Arc.  It looks like I'll be coming as well.  I'm glad we have someone pulling strings for us behind the scenes." Kraig paused. "Is there anything else we need to know about the gathering, any huge social no-no's?
Steve Cable
 NPC in Memoriam, 353 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Sat 22 Jul 2017
at 19:10
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"I want a red suit," Steve finally spoke up.

"How red can I get it?"

"This is a bit outside of my comfort zone. Do they shoot you for bad manners? Speaking of which, should we go armed?"

"I guess we don't need to dress up to go get dressed up, so I'm ready to go."

Ignatius Maor
 Player, 160 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Sun 23 Jul 2017
at 02:53
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Nothing fancy for me." IM looks up classic formal wear as the chatter goes on around him.

Hearing Steve's weapon comment asks "Probably something concealed. What's the local law allow?"
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 7 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Mon 24 Jul 2017
at 02:26
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
A ways down the tarmac sits a 25 ton small craft.  Inside Dr Hans Bomar orders a rental air car for the evening, then fiddles around in his lab for a couple hours.  Finally, he crosses into his stateroom and gets ready for the evening.  The clothing consultant insists the best choice is his new suit, but that is reserved for the wedding later in the week.  So it will have to be the best of the older suits.

Hans mutters: "Keeping up with fashion is such a waste of time and money.  I guess if I want the clientele, I have to make the effort."

The consultant also suggests carrying a sword as all other weapons are banned from the restaurant.  Not wanting to be to showy, or martial, he chooses a walking stick instead.

Finally he reaches up to the back of his neck and a flap of skin opens and several small data wafers pop out. "Let's see what will we need tonight?  Definitely persuade, diplomat, carouse.  Probably recon and investigate.  If something unexpected happens, melee combat unarmed and bludgeon and let's go with streetwise."  He puts the wafers into a case and takes out several more and installs them in under the flap, which then closes and looks like a very faint, practically un-noticeable scar at his hairline.

He throws on a trench coat, picks up his walking stick, locks thecraft and heads to the rental car and the restaurant.
Luise Wechsler
 player, 114 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Tue 25 Jul 2017
at 14:58
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Luise gave the mirror one last satisfied glance. Blue dress, fancy belt, high heels, clutch.
The rapier blade on her belt looked like an expensive toy, which was partly right: It hadn't been cheap. The shoes were impractical but easily kicked off and replaced by the slippers hidden deep inside her clutch (underneath the sanitary towels).

Splash of Chanel, then she closed the door to her room behind her andwas ready to wine and dine.
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 8 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Sun 30 Jul 2017
at 17:48
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Just before 1900, Dr Bomars aircar arrives at the restaurant.  He hands the keys to the valet and heads inside.  Stopping at the coatroom he hands over his trench coat and walking stick.

At the Maitre D: "Dr Bomar with Baroness Wechsler's party."

A middle-aged man in a stylish, if slightly dated 3 piece suit (it's hard to keep up with fashion, planet to planet, when traveling the star ways) approaches what turns out to be an empty table.  With a shrug, Hans seats himself at the table, thinking: 'Typical, leave the doctor waiting.'

Hans waits for the Baroness and her group to arrive.
StarMaster
 GM, 434 posts
 Referee
Sun 30 Jul 2017
at 19:00
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
At the ship, the limo shows up on schedule, and takes everyone to Galaxy Outfitters to buy appropriate suits or whatever. Luise doesn't need anything, but she can spend the time window-shopping, especially in the jewelry department.


Once the shopping is done, the limo takes them to the Stratosphere restaurant. Well, it's technically an office building with a few shops on the ground floor and an assortment of corporate offices on the upper levels, with the restaurant at the top.

Not surprisingly, there is a private entrance to the restaurant with an exclusive drive and parking garage. And there is a private elevator up to the restaurant.

Rather than lead the group, Luise lingers behind for a moment while the others make their way to the reserved table. Dr. Bomar is already sitting there. The others make introductions, and then Luise arrives, making an entrance.

At that point, Luise and Hans begin a verbal dance of etiquette, most of which the others barely understand.

Over the course of that dialog, dinner is served, eaten and finished, and everyone is now relaxing around the table enjoying an expensive after-dinner drink.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 262 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Mon 31 Jul 2017
at 01:32
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Gahler hadn't done much 'science shmoozing' before. It certain had a different dialogue to brokering, legal or administration talk.
Nevertheless, the food and drink was excellent.
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 9 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Tue 1 Aug 2017
at 01:01
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
During dinner most of Hans attention is on the Baroness.  However, he includes all of her companions in the on-going conversation, making everyone feel comfortable and included.  He seems to have an almost preternatural awareness of everyone and everything in the area.  Also while he is slightly above average good looking he seems to have an extra-ordinary charisma.

During the dinner he manages to get a portion of everyone's backstory and people find out that his dad was an Imperial diplomat to the Darrian Confederation who married a local Darrian woman.  Hans was born and raised on Darrian.  He is trained as a medical doctor, specializing in cybernetics and biotech augmentation.  He was approached to serve as the personal doctor of Duke Sistal of Five Sisters Subsector.  When he moved on from that, the Duke asked him to attend the upcoming wedding as his representative, since he could not make the wedding.

After dinner, Hans seems to turn up the charisma a notch and focus on Luise: "Baroness, it's been a wonderful dinner, with good food and excellent companionship.  But I think it's time to get down to business.  As I mentioned earlier, my profession is medical doctor.  However, my hobby is the Ancients and I have started to indulge that more.  When I arrived on Dinomn a couple of weeks ago I encountered a dying belter.  Unfortunately his ailments and age were so advanced I was not able to cure him, only make his passing more comfortable.  In payment, he signed over a claim to an asteroid out in the Oort Cloud.  It also included sensor data of the asteroid and what appears to be a ship on the asteroid.  While the scans of the ship are not very clear, the configuration does not seem to match anything reasonably current in the  Imperial archives.  While unlikely, my hope is that it might be an Ancient's ship.  Worst case it probably will turn a reasonable credit for salvage."

"I own a small craft that is my mobile clinic and home that is capable of flying out to the asteroid, although it would probably take several weeks.  However, this is not the type of thing I am experienced in and the type of chancy endeavor that it is best to have several companions to help with.  I have been looking for a group to go with me to investigate the asteroid and ship, but the locals have discounted the old belter's story and I haven't been able to drum up any interest.  When I saw you had come out of Lanth at the time of the invasion there, it seemed your group was capable.  So I am reaching out to you to offer a joint investigation and salvage of the ship that I have the location of.  I caution it will take several weeks on manouever drive to reach the asteroid, or we will have to micro-jump out and back.  The micro-jump option would require your ship being able to carry my 25 dton small craft."

"So any questions?  Are you interested?"


Hans's arguments seem extremely persuading yet phrased in an extremely diplomatic form, backed up with a tremendous charisma.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 428 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Tue 1 Aug 2017
at 05:23
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig cleans up nicely under the influence of a great deal of money and expert advice.  He's quiet during introductions and dinner preferring to scout out the lay of the land rather than commit too much.  He'd learned in the course of picking up a fair bit of legal training to speak less than he listened.

"The salvage job sounds interesting.  What split of the value do you propose? If it's an Ancient artifact I expect it will be confiscated."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 429 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Tue 1 Aug 2017
at 05:23
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig cleans up nicely under the influence of a great deal of money and expert advice.  He's quiet during introductions and dinner preferring to scout out the lay of the land rather than commit too much.  He'd learned in the course of picking up a fair bit of legal training to speak less than he listened.

"The salvage job sounds interesting.  What split of the value do you propose? If it's an Ancient artifact I expect it will be confiscated."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 263 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Tue 1 Aug 2017
at 09:11
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"How many folk have you told about this salvage job you have tabled with us tonight?" Gahler queried, "Salvaging a derelict is not a task for the faint hearted. The various reasons it is where it is numerous Dr Bomar."

Gahler's practical brain kicking in he added, "And dare I ask, what did you wish to do with it once it is found. Assuming it is where the old Belter located it. Tow it back to civilization?"
Luise Wechsler
 player, 115 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Tue 1 Aug 2017
at 15:10
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Luise chimes in: "From my crewmates' reactions and their very reasonable questions you can see that we are interested indeed. Before we can continue this, however, we must tell you that we must refuel and empty our storage bay before we can undertake this mission - either on ground or using the local gas giant. We won't be able to agree to this if the prices we can get here for our merchandise are unsatisfactory. But I assume we can find that out in less than 24 hours.
And then there is of course the question of what is in this for you, and for us?"

Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 10 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Wed 2 Aug 2017
at 00:11
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Hans replies, "I am glad to hear you are interested.  I have asked around at the port about people interested in salvaging a derelict in the Oort Cloud, but haven't given anyone the level of detail I supplied tonight.  Enough have heard either directly or via gossip, that a lot of spacers probably know I am trying to put a team together.  I would not put it past some to try and follow us to take the derelict or our ships.  That's one reason I would lean towards Jumping out to the asteroid."

"If it's an Ancient artifact, I am more interested in the knowledge but would like to make some credits on the project.  The Authorities usually pay well for artifacts, so even if it's confiscated we should make credits.  As for a split, I have the coordinates of the derelict and you have a ship that would make it easier to do the salvage.  Let's say those cancel out.  That leaves me and the individuals of your group, all of which would be participating.  So I would propose equal shares of any credits we might make to each of us as individuals.  As for what to do with it once we find it, that depends on the conditions.  The most profitable probably would be to tow it back.  If we can."

"As for clearing your storage bay, in the time I have been here, I have made some contacts with the traders.  I have had some brokering experience and have an extensive natural talent for brokering.  If you would like and tell me your inventory, I can make some calls and should get you very satisfactory prices.  As for fuel, if we decide to fly out, you should be able to dip from a gas giant.  But using unrefined fuel for jump is a bad idea, so I would suggest filling up before we head out if we plan to jump to the asteroid."


OOC: Not to throw a monkey wrench in things, but don't you have a passenger that you need to take to Regina?
Kraig Pars
 Player, 430 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Wed 2 Aug 2017
at 04:30
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig nods.  "That's a reasonable split.  A micro jump out to the Oort cloud would probably be faster than cranking our way out on the M drive."
Steve Cable
 NPC in Memoriam, 354 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Wed 2 Aug 2017
at 17:04
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"It'll take a week each way, no matter which method we use," Steve finally speaks up.

He'd managed to restrain himself and not order a bright red suit, even if he thought it'd be amusing. Instead, he kept it toned down with a dark red suit, a light blue shirt (without ruffles), and a goldenrod-colored tie. He had to admit that he thought he looked rather stylish.

He'd quickly gotten uncomfortable when the limo had pulled up to the private entrance to the restaurant, which had gotten worse when he entered the elevator, and worse still when the elevator deposited the group up at the Stratosphere.

Once he was seated at the table, though, he calmed down a bit. He'd never been one for fancy food, and he might have tried some of the more exotic dishes if someone else had been paying. Instead, he just stuck with a good steak and whatever came with it.

He'd kept out of the dinner conversation, mostly because it was way above his head. It was only when it got down to the brass tacks that he took more interest and had something to say.

"What about Mr. Smith?" he asked. "Has anyone talked to him on the trip out? He seemed to keep to himself mostly, at least when I was around. D'ya think he found me... intimidatin'?"
Luthar Argot
 player, 39 posts
 Baron
 Imperial Navy Commander
Wed 2 Aug 2017
at 17:08
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"I did," Luthar replied.

"Not all that much, but some. He never talked about himself, though got dangerously close now and then. I gathered he was having family issues."

"Mostly we talked about the war, economics, science... he is quite educated."

Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 11 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Wed 2 Aug 2017
at 23:12
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Mr. Smith?  Who is that?", the Dr inquires.
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 12 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Wed 9 Aug 2017
at 23:29
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Hans continues, "I am glad you interested.  If you send me your cargo manifest tonight, I can use my contacts tomorrow to get you a good price on their sale.  I can not leave until after the wedding in 3 days, and probably a day to recover from the reception.  So if you want to think it over, I would need an answer in 4 days."

Hans turns specifically to Luise, "Luise, I had a really good time tonight.  From our conversation, you said you are just passing through to Regina and not here for the wedding.  Many may not care about the wedding, but it is the place to see and be seen.  My invitation includes a plus one and I would like it if you would attend the wedding with me.  It will be much more enjoyable versus attending by myself.  Will you join me?"
Luise Wechsler
 player, 116 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Thu 10 Aug 2017
at 10:07
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Luise pretends to think it over, although she knows what she wants: "That's wonderful! I love weddings. And it gives us the time to sort out our cargo and refuel  before we start again."

She's quite happy with her wording. Bomar will most likely take it to mean that they are going on that expedition of his although she can still deny all involvement if the crew is not interested. And the wedding is the frosting on the cake, of course.
She makes a mental note on reading up on local marraige customs.
Steve Cable
 NPC in Memoriam, 355 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Sat 12 Aug 2017
at 00:17
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"You'll be on your own, Luise," Steve said then. "I don't think you have the status to bring bodyguards, armed or otherwise. If you think you need to take a weapon, it will have to be something inconspicuous. Need any help with that, I'm the one to talk to."

"Dismantled and concealed weapon parts... cerametal blade--decorative, of course... a poison ring... nothing lethal, but instant unconscious is good."


He only mentioned some of the obvious ways that were popular on the holovids. He didn't know this Bomar, so no sense in giving anything important away.
Arc Tangent
 Player, 43 posts
Sat 12 Aug 2017
at 18:54
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"What? You think there might be an assassination attempt on the bride and groom?" Argent asked. "Do you know something? Or, are you just being paranoid?"

He suspected the latter; Steve seemed to think along those lines due to his 'normal' line of work.

"There's not really any way to detect weave armor in clothes, but some of those wedding outfits don't leave much to the imagination. Anyone that's over, say, 75% covered up, especially over strategic body areas, might be wearing armor."

"On the other hand, it may depend on the degree of the assassination attempt. If it's a surgical strike, then only the intended victims need worry. If the assassins don't care about collateral damage, then no weave armor is going to matter."

"I'm just saying... Two can play this game, Steve!"

Luise Wechsler
 player, 118 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Sat 12 Aug 2017
at 20:30
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
As she thought about researching local wedding customs, it occurred to her that she may have spoke up a bit too soon. She should have at least checked what the wedding requirements were. She sure hoped it wasn't one of those New Wave 'naked weddings'... or in a hot air balloon, or an underwater ceremony.

"Guess I'll have to go shopping again!" she said brightly. "I don't have a thing to wear! Not since those pirates went through all my things. Who knows what horrible things they may have done when they were wearing them!"

"Anyway, Doctor, here's our current cargo. Some of it was shoved into whatever nooks and crannies we could find, but it's all there, all intact."


She comm-texted the list to him, with what they'd spent buying it.


   4 tons of precious metals:   180,000
 25 tons of advanced weapons: 1,500,000
     5 tons of crystals/gems:    50,000
 7 tons of exotic sculptures:   210,000
                              _________
             TOTAL PURCHASES: 1,940,000

Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 14 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Sun 13 Aug 2017
at 15:03
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
As conversation winds down, Hans exits the restaurant with the party, picking up his trench coat and walking stick on the way out.

The next morning the Dr. stops by the Dust Runner: "I'd like to check the cargo before negotiating it's sale."  After looking the cargo over, especially the statues and weapons, he gets on his portable computer.  Within a few minutes he contacts a trader and is deep in negotiations.  That charisma and awareness that you noticed the night before shows itself again as it focuses on getting the best price possible.  After an hour or so, the final result is:


         4 tons of precious metals:    400,000
 25 tons of advanced weapons: 11,250,000
           5 tons of crystals/gems:    400,000
      7 tons of exotic sculptures:  2,100,000
                              _________
                TOTAL PURCHASES: 14,150,000

"I hope you consider these prices satisfactory.  I was worried about the sculptures, but I think your going to start a decorating trend as the sculptures are going to one of the visiting nobles who is gifting one to the newlyweds.  With their uniqueness and limited supply, they are likely to become the 'it' item to have in the home of the nobility."

This message was last edited by the player at 15:13, Sun 13 Aug 2017.

Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 15 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Mon 14 Aug 2017
at 00:12
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Over the next few days, Hans calls to check in that the funds are transferred to the ship account, that the cargo is picked up and to arrange with the Baroness to pick her up for the wedding.

The day of the wedding Hans shows up at the Dust Runner with a rental air car to pick up the Baroness.  He is wearing a conservative, leading edge of fashion suit.  He and Luise are gone the afternoon and late into the evening.  Things go very well and they both see and are seen, making the passing acquaintance of some of the movers and shakers of the domain.  There are fewer of the top nobility than expected, but that is attributed to the war that recently kicked off.

The day after the wedding in the early afternoon, Hans calls the Dust Runner and after pleasantries are exchanged; "Now that my social obligations for Duke Sistal are done, I need to make plans for what I am doing next.  So are we going to work together to look over and salvage the ship in the Oort Cloud?"
Kraig Pars
 Player, 432 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Mon 14 Aug 2017
at 04:20
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
As they gathered on the bridge the day after the wedding Kraig made a suggestion.  "I say we go after this thing in the Oort Cloud.  It may be nothing but there could be salvage of some sort regardless.  We'll probably have to take our passenger on to Regina unless we can book him on another ship."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 264 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Mon 14 Aug 2017
at 05:05
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Mr Smith did pay a handsome amount to get off planet. We also did have a contract with him to Regina, which we should honor it before chasing salvage."
"It would certain throw off anyone following us or tracking Dr Bomar."
Gahler added to the conversation.
Arc Tangent
 Player, 44 posts
Mon 14 Aug 2017
at 18:20
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Clearly, Mr. Smith is laying low," Arc comments. "I'm thinking that nothing is going to be lower than hunting out in the Oort cloud. No chance of being spotted by anyone out there."

"While going to Regina first and then back is... a bit more practical and responsible, I'm thinking that if we find anything with this derelict ship, we'd have better results unloading it at Regina."

"What if we ask Mr. Smith if he would be adverse to a little side trip? He didn't seem concerned about the route we took to Regina."

"However, there's the problem with cargo. If we pick up some here, we might not have room for anything from the ship. On the other hand, if we go out to the cloud empty but don't find anything useful, we'll be jumping empty either back here or to Regina. We got bills to pay at the end regardless."

StarMaster
 GM, 439 posts
 Referee
Wed 23 Aug 2017
at 22:19
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
>>> FAST FORWARD >>>


The wedding goes off without a hitch. Just about anybody who is anybody is in attendance.

Luise and Dr. Bomar have a great time.

Naturally the wedding is broadcast, so the rest of the crew can watch with envy.

Monday morning seems to arrive way too soon, and once again, everyone is back on the bridge comparing notes.
Ignatius Maor
 Player, 162 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Thu 24 Aug 2017
at 01:35
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
IM lounges on board the Runner in the Crew room with a local brew watching the big event. "Man, I am glad not to be in that crowd and having my face broadcast across known space."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 266 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Thu 24 Aug 2017
at 01:55
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"yep. it would be a security nightmare for all." Gahler chuckled as he helped himself to some prezels, "you are a wanted man after all, Ignatius."

This message was last edited by the player at 09:15, Thu 24 Aug 2017.

Kraig Pars
 Player, 433 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Thu 24 Aug 2017
at 01:58
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"It seems like a lot of effort to tie the knot."
Steve Cable
 NPC in Memoriam, 356 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Thu 24 Aug 2017
at 02:09
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"You and me both," Steve agreed with IM. "Buncha popinjays."

"By the way, does anyone actually know what a popinjay is? Just wondering."

"Never really understood that life style. You don't actually DO anything, but you spend a lot of time and money and effort looking good doing it. Who knew that 'Useless' was a bona fide occupation!"


There was a time, in his youth, when he'd thought that as long as he had a brewskie in hand, everything looked a bit rosier. After watching the pomp and circumstance of the wedding, though, he now realized that wasn't true. Nothing--not even straight moonshine--could have made the wedding interesting for him. About the only thing he learned was that he never wanted to watch another one!
Hans Matherson
 Player, 106 posts
 Ex Scout
Thu 24 Aug 2017
at 02:23
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Hans walked in at that point, not interested in watching the wedding at all. He'd seen Luise when she left, so he already knew what she was wearing.

"I checked with Mr. Smith. He's not really in any hurry to get to Regina just so long as he gets there, so he doesn't mind a little detour to the Oort Cloud," Hans informed the others.

"As long as he has plenty of booze and study materials, he says he's happy."

"Are you watching the wedding in case there's an assassination attempt?"
he asked, figuring they were watching out of morbid curiosity.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 434 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Fri 25 Aug 2017
at 04:36
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig nods with satisfaction.  "It seems it's settled then.  Let's plan on jumping straight out.  We can always file a flight path to our planned destination as a ruse."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 267 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Fri 25 Aug 2017
at 04:50
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"I see no reason not to set a flight plan for Regina. We can jump there afterwards." Gahler added his thoughts.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 435 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sat 26 Aug 2017
at 03:25
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig smiles; "It's just a way point to hit the Oort cloud."
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 17 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Sat 26 Aug 2017
at 03:43
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Since it seems to be settled in favor of salvaging the ship, Hans will move his smallcraft over so it can be loaded into the Dust Runners hold.

"I am glad we will be working together.  You should probably get one of your fuel bladders filled for the trip to the Oort cloud and the ship should make Regina on her internal tanks, if that's where we go once we are done in the Oort cloud."

Once the ship lifts off, Hans will provide the actual coordinates in the Oort cloud.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 436 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sat 26 Aug 2017
at 04:17
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig nods. "Good idea Doctor.  We might as well use the bladders while we have them.  There may be questions about taking on the extra fuel but in a war one is always prudent in case we needed to Jump back out right away if there were hostile fleets."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 268 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Sat 26 Aug 2017
at 06:29
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"So we are not taking any cargo to Regina, hoping instead to find as much salvage instead." Gahler clarified.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 437 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sun 27 Aug 2017
at 07:53
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig shrugged.  "We're still headed to Regina.  I'd take on cargo for that destination as anything else might arouse interest.  We can leave a few tons of extra space at least for anything of interest."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 270 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Sun 27 Aug 2017
at 08:25
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Best we check to see what needs shipping or what spec trades are about then." Gahler added.
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 18 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Sun 27 Aug 2017
at 11:54
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Hans does a quick scan on his computer: "With my ship on board and one fuel bladder, that leaves you about 33 tons of cargo space.  The best options in spec goods I find are:  6 tons of Radioactives at 250,000 at ton, 5 tons of Advanced Machine Parts at 18,750 tons and 20 tons of Biochemicals at 12,500 tons.  With our detour to the Oort Cloud, passengers or regular cargo would not be a good choice as they would expect a direct trip to Regina."

Radioactives 6 tons @ 250,000 =  1,500,000
Adv Mach Parts 5 tons @ 18,750 =    93,750
Biochemicals 20 tons @ 12,500 =    250,000
                                         total  1,843,750
Arc Tangent
 Player, 45 posts
Sun 27 Aug 2017
at 19:12
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Sounds promising... if we were going directly to Regina," Arc comments. "What if we find something to salvage along the way? Where are we going to put it?"

"If it's a ship, we could piggyback it on top, but that would alter our tonnage beyond what our drive can handle."

"We've already agreed that Luise would be the captain, so only she can make that decision. We'll support her whatever she decides."

Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 19 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Sun 27 Aug 2017
at 23:22
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Hans muses: "I understand the final decision is Luise's.  I probably shouldn't have kept her out so late yesterday.  As for cargo versus salvage, here are my thoughts."

Hans gives his reasoning, "Once we micro jump to the Oort cloud and transfer the fuel from the bladder to the tanks and store the radioactives and machine parts in my cargo hold and the unused staterooms, there should be 47 tons of cargo space available.  The trade goods I found are excellent deals and you should take advantage of them.  If we do buy the trade goods I would like to contribute to the purchase for a portion of the profits.  I could go up to 500,000 credits."

"When we salvage the ship I foresee 5 possible outcomes.  It's possible there is nothing of value to salvage, in which case we continue on to Regina.  There is something to salvage and it fits in the available cargo space.  In this case, we decide if the salvage is worth jettisoning some of the spec cargo to make room if needed.  The third case is we find worthwhile salvage that is bigger than the cargo bay, but small enough the Dust Runner can tow it through jump at a reduced jump range.  Then it depends on if we want to take the salvage to Dinomn or Regina.  Dinomn, we just micro jump back.  Regina, we micro jump to Dinomn or Dinomn's gas giant, refuel the tanks and bladders and do a double jump to Regina.  The fourth option is the salvage is to large to jump but we can break it free and using maneuver drive we can put it on an orbit to Dinomn.  With the Biosphere I have on my ship, I can survive for months, especially if we mine some ice from the ice ball the alien ship is on.  I can use my ship to give a constant acceleration and course corrections.  It may take weeks to months for me to tow the ship to Dinomn.  In the mean time the Dust Runner can jump to Regina to deliver Mr Smith and sell the trade goods.  You can then jump back to where I should be on my course back to Dinomn and help tow the alien ship in.  The last outcome is that the salvage is just to big to move.  Then we will have to make plans based upon that.  Most likely it would be to jump to Regina and locate a big enough ship to move the salvage for a cost low enough to make it worthwhile."

"In almost every case the Dust Runner jumps from the Oort cloud to Regina and would have room for most or all of the spec goods and should make a good profit off the goods."

Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 271 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Mon 28 Aug 2017
at 04:48
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"So the current balance sheet is 14,150,000 credits." Gahler looked up the spec trading account.
"If Hans is to join the spec trading, how do we do this fairly?" Gahler queries, "Do we start a separate spec trade venture to Regina?"
"500 Kcr from Hans the rest from our trade account and split the profit."

This message was last edited by the player at 05:00, Mon 28 Aug 2017.

Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 20 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Wed 30 Aug 2017
at 01:33
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
quote:
Gahler queries, "Do we start a separate spec trade venture to Regina?"
"500 Kcr from Hans the rest from our trade account and split the profit."


"That's what I was thinking."
Steve Cable
 NPC in Memoriam, 357 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Thu 31 Aug 2017
at 18:54
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"I'm good with that arrangement for this trip," Steve concurred. "Along the way, or once we get to Regina, depending on what we find in the Ort Cloud, we can hammer out other arrangements a necessary."

"Speaking of which, Hans, how were you seeing this salvage operation going down? Are we looking at 50% for you, 50% for us?"

Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 21 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Fri 1 Sep 2017
at 00:50
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"I am not really doing this for the money, although making some would be nice.  So I am thinking an even split of anything we make between the individuals participating.  So the lion's share would go to the crew of the Dust Runner.  With the trade goods I can get, even if this is a waste of time, we should make good money."  Hans explains.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 438 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Fri 1 Sep 2017
at 01:29
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig nodded.  "I'm with Steve on this."
Luise Wechsler
 player, 119 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Sun 3 Sep 2017
at 05:50
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Luise said: "Well that is settled than. Trading is a necessary evil, and it will be quite diverting to engage in this new pursuit."
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 22 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Sun 3 Sep 2017
at 23:33
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
With Luise's concurrence to the plan, Hans contacts the brokers and arranges to purchase the trade goods, investing 500,000 credits of his money and the remainder from the Dust Runner.

Radioactives 6 tons @ 250,000 =  1,500,000
Adv Mach Parts 5 tons @ 18,750 =    93,750
Biochemicals 20 tons @ 12,500 =    250,000
                                         total  1,843,750
                       Han's Investment   -500,000
           Dust Runner's investment -1,343,750

"The trade goods should be arriving later today.  Once they and my ship are loaded into the cargo hold, we should be good to go tomorrow."
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 23 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Fri 8 Sep 2017
at 14:52
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Hans interjects, "Now that the negotiations are settled, I have a related subject.  Earlier I was contacted by a couple of acquaintances.  They are both on world and looking for passage off.  It seems with the influx of wedding attendees, all passage for the next several weeks off planet is booked.  I did not mention anything about the Dust Runner, as I was not sure until now that we would be working together.  We should consider bringing one or both along.  The first is Rickie Rhinorack.  He previously was a pilot of a medical shuttle, but the reason we should consider him is that he has previously dealt with an alien ship.  I don't know if any of you have dealt with an alien ship, but I haven't.  His experience might be useful.  The other is Baron Solomon Cantos.  He was an Imperial Diplomat, with expertise in legal issues.  If we salvage the ship and it's something the Empire wants to impound, he could be useful dealing with the legal issues.  Or if the ship is not salvageable by us, but we can sell information to others to do the salvage, he would provide a kind of independent verification of what we are offering.  Potential buyers will probably take Luise's word, but two nobles are better than one, and I understand Baron Argot has decided to stay on Dinomn."

Hans pauses to let that sink in and then resumes, "It's up to you if we should bring either or both of these individuals along.  I have known them for a while and think they would be assets.  Let me know if I should contact either or both.  Thanks."
Steve Cable
 NPC in Memoriam, 358 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Fri 8 Sep 2017
at 20:18
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Ha! When we first recovered the Dust Runner, we had stray puppies coming out of the woodwork! And this was on deserted island!" Steve replies.

"It worked out for us at the time, though most have since gone their separate way now. I don't see why we shouldn't continue doing the same, especially with Luthar bailing on us."

"My two credits. Luise, of course, has final say. And we won't even mutiny if she disagrees!"

Kraig Pars
 Player, 439 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Fri 8 Sep 2017
at 20:44
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig nods. "I agree with bringing the other two onboard if Dr. Bomar vouches for them.  We can use the expertise."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 272 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Sat 9 Sep 2017
at 02:18
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Gahler shrugs, "So are they paying passengers or working passengers?"
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 24 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Sat 9 Sep 2017
at 02:23
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Hans responds, "Since you are interested, why don't I contact them and invite them over so you can talk with them."

Hans makes a couple of com calls, explains the situation and invites Rickie and Solomon over to the Dust Runner for a chat.
Rickie Rhinorack
 player, 1 post
Wed 13 Sep 2017
at 15:15
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
In reply to Dr. Hans Bomar (msg # 520):

A small, medically-oriented ship parked itself at the Dust Runner. Out of it steps a somehwat bulky, smiling man.

"Hey Hans, what's going on? ... And who are these people?" Rickie exclaimed, glancing behind Dr. Bomar. "I thought you said this would be a small op."
 

Solomon Cantos
 player, 1 post
 Human Noble Diplomat
Thu 14 Sep 2017
at 04:31
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Solomon makes his way to the vessel after sending a few messages to his friends on this world. He arrives in a old but respectable outfit for his class. "I hear there's quite an adventure brewing here. I'm Baron Solomon Cantos by the way". 
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 26 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Fri 15 Sep 2017
at 01:21
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Hans makes introductions of the 2 men to the group.  "Rickie and Solomon, as I told you I was looking to put together a salvage op of a possible alien ship.  I have made a deal with the Captain and crew of the Dust Runner to go out and do that.  I suggested you might be valuable additions to the group.  Rickie for his experience with an alien ship and Solomon with his legal and diplomatic expertise.  They had some questions before agreeing, so I thought it best if you answered for yourselves."
Rickie Rhinorack
 player, 3 posts
 Medical Pilot
Sat 16 Sep 2017
at 01:55
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
In reply to Dr. Hans Bomar (msg # 523):

"Well, in reply to what that Merchant guy said, I don't know about Mr. Cantos, but I'm probably going to be working with the alien spaceship, and I'm pretty sure work is done for money. Plus, I have to pay for the fuel I spent coming here, so..." Rickie explains.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 440 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sun 17 Sep 2017
at 03:38
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig stands as the strangers board the ship.  "I'm Kraig Pars, part of the crew.  Welcome."  He glanced around at his companions.  "Rickie, I doubt if there will be money unless there is salvage either of the normal variety or an alien ship."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 274 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Sun 17 Sep 2017
at 05:50
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"So a working crew." Gahler nodded, before extending a hand in greeting to the new crew, "Welcome aboard. I am Gahler, one of the pilots of the Dust Runner."
Luise Wechsler
 player, 120 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Sun 24 Sep 2017
at 01:16
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Yes, welcome aboard," she says to the newcomers. "I'm Captain Luise Welcher. I'm also a baroness, but on the ship or among the crew, I don't stand on formalities."

"Since the good doctor more or less vouches for you, I have no problem with your presence right now. But, if you are all ready to ship out, we'll go ahead and depart as soon as the cargo is loaded."

"This may be your last chance to back out. If you have any questions, now's the time to mention them."

Rickie Rhinorack
 player, 4 posts
 Medical Pilot
Sun 24 Sep 2017
at 23:21
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
In reply to Gahler Grohlson (msg # 526):

"A merchant and a pilot, eh?" Rickie said, shaking Gahler's hand. "What planets have you sold at?" Upon hearing Kraig Pars, Rickie stated, "You are correct, sir. I'm fairly confident we'll find something of interest, though. Derelict alien ships are a mighty motherload, if I say so myself."

This message was last edited by the player at 23:35, Sun 24 Sept 2017.

Rickie Rhinorack
 player, 5 posts
 Medical Pilot
Sun 24 Sep 2017
at 23:33
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
In reply to Luise Wechsler (msg # 527):

Rickie acknowledged Luise's greeting. "Yes, hello. As far as my cargo is concerned, I should be ready in less than 30 minutes."

Granted, he did have some questions, but he didn't want to ruin relations with these new "co-workers," as he saw them. So, Rickie kept to himself.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 275 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Sun 24 Sep 2017
at 23:48
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Rickie Rhinorack:
In reply to Gahler Grohlson (msg # 526):

"A merchant and a pilot, eh?" Rickie said, shaking Gahler's hand. "What planets have you sold at?"


"Quite a few Mr Rhinorack. Too many to list on both hands at least."
"Currently the Captain organizes the trades. I just do some of the background legwork."
Gahler replied
StarMaster
 GM, 443 posts
 Referee
Sun 1 Oct 2017
at 20:02
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
The cargo that Hans purchased arrives about mid-afternoon, and is quickly loaded aboard the ship because everyone was waiting for it to arrive. It only takes about two hours to get it all stowed away.

Gahler lays in the course, and Luise contacts Air-Space Traffic Control for departure clearance. It's routine, cargo was just loaded, and traffic has diminished since the wedding is over and done with, so clearance is granted. ASTC gives Gahler a vector and departure time... in 5 minutes.
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 27 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Mon 2 Oct 2017
at 00:19
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Hans, straps in for lift off in his small ship.  He has stated a preference to using the cabin in his small ship, instead of taking up one of the main ships cabins.  "Captain, ready here.  I am glad we are underway.  Could you send me a feed from the ships sensors so that I can see what's going on?  I would appreciate it."

Hans settles back and watches the crew do it's thing.
Steve Cable
 NPC in Memoriam, 359 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Tue 3 Oct 2017
at 17:27
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
He'd always found the sensor station to be oddly situated... in its own little room just behind the bridge on the port side, but he was one of those qualified on sensors, so that's where he took up station.

At Dr. Bomar's request for a sensor feed, he had no problem sending the sensor signal through his console to the cargo bay where Hans's little craft was berthed.

He did it as a precaution, in case something came in that he might not want the doctor to see. To be honest, he couldn't think of anything that would fall into that category, but better to err on the side of safety, although he did have a vague notion that maybe the doc would be protected from... something... something nebulous and undefined in his mind.

COMM: >>>"There you go, Doc. Sensor feed to your little redoubt."<<<

>>>"Sensors to bridge. Everything's green. We've got a clear vector to jump point. Current vector puts us at JP in... 8.773 hours."<<<
END COMM

This message was last edited by the player at 17:56, Tue 03 Oct 2017.

StarMaster
 GM, 444 posts
 Referee
Tue 3 Oct 2017
at 17:58
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
So, Gahler is in the pilot's seat.

Kraig is in the astrogator's seat.

Roland is in the engineer's seat.

Luise is in the captain's chair.

Steve is in the sensor room.

Arc is in the comms room.

That still leaves an open seat on the bridge: computers/science.


What are Hans (Matherson), IM, Rickie and Solomon doing?
Rickie Rhinorack
 player, 6 posts
 Medical Pilot
Tue 3 Oct 2017
at 22:14
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
In reply to StarMaster (msg # 534):

Rickie knew he was going to be most comfortable in the most medically-oriented place. So, in an effort to save the gas of his own ship, Rickie wastes no time locating and moving into the medical bay, and strapping himself into the medical bay seat.

"Rickie is ready for liftoff!" He said, mentioning himself in the 3rd person.

He decided to leave his ship at this planet. It didn't appear to be shady, and he probably wouldn't need it, anyway. After all, the main ship's medical bay would have everything he needed, right?
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 276 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Tue 3 Oct 2017
at 23:01
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Resting in the pilot's chair, Gahler worked through the pilot checklist in preparation for liftoff.
He had already organized with starport control for an exit passage.
"Skipper have you a flight plan you wish register?"
Kraig Pars
 Player, 441 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Wed 4 Oct 2017
at 04:56
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Meanwhile Kraig began the initial calculations for the microjump out to their destination.
Luise Wechsler
 player, 121 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Wed 4 Oct 2017
at 12:16
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Well..." Luise began, "we didn't make any secret about heading to Regina, so file that as the flight plan. If we didn't file a flight plan, that would be... suspicious."

"Please correct me if I'm wrong, but when we jump, there are currently no instruments that let anyone know exactly where we are going, right? Likewise, when we exit jump, sure, they can detect our entry into normal space, at least within a star system, but they can't tell where we came from."

"Once we reach the jump limit, we just jump to the Oort Cloud."

"The main reason you file a flight plan is so that any search and rescue efforts will know where to start looking if for some reason you go missing. As far as I know, it's about a 50/50 chance that there's anything to rescue. Even then, the amount of time it takes to discover you're missing and then to search all the space along that line usually means there's no one still alive if the ship ever is found."

"It's a lot better than the old sailing days. A ship would sail out of a port, and you never knew if it'd ever return. Storms, shipwreck, pirates, fire... could all send it to the bottom of the ocean. And there was no way to search for it there."

"Starships are a lot more reliable."

Ignatius Maor
 Player, 164 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Thu 5 Oct 2017
at 01:15
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
IM will take the computer/science station.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 442 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Thu 5 Oct 2017
at 02:27
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig shook his head.  "Unless the Navy or Scouts can figure out a ship's general destination from the entering vector and Jump flash then I know of no way we can be tracked.  Some one might pick up our Jump flash in the Oort cloud but they'd be a week away from getting to us unless we happen to stumble directly on someone."
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 28 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Thu 5 Oct 2017
at 22:39
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Hans comms the bridge: "Might I suggest we jump about a half days travel away from our target.  That would increase the area someone would have to search to find us, give us a chance to scan the vicinity for trouble and allow us to scan the target as we approach."
Luise Wechsler
 player, 122 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Fri 6 Oct 2017
at 00:39
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Not a bad idea, Hans. And thanks for the info, Kraig," Luise responded. "I didn't know that. But then, I never had to worry about someone knowing where I was."

"It'll take us a week to get out to the Oort Cloud. Oddly, a microjump is still a jump. After a week, even if there are any sensors that powerful, what are the odds that anyone is going to connect that jump-flash as being from us? Wouldn't they most likely assume it was an incoming misjump?"

"On the other hand, I suppose it's the paranoia in me that thinks any of the people you tried to get interested in this venture before us might make a connection to the Oort Cloud. In any case, they'd still be a week away. I can't imagine we're going to linger that long."

"So, Kraig, how close had you plotted our course? Hans's suggestion sound okay to you?"

"Remember, too, that we don't really know if there's anything out there."

Kraig Pars
 Player, 443 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sat 7 Oct 2017
at 00:59
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig looked up from the instruments.  "I can plot a Jump that will get us a half-day's travel from the target as easily as anything else.  I will do so.   Again, unless someone has military grade sensors I doubt if they could match our incoming Jump flash with our identity.  Now the system defense forces might be a bit worried about a Jump flash in the out system that is unexpected."
Rickie Rhinorack
 player, 7 posts
 Medical Pilot
Sat 14 Oct 2017
at 15:45
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Rickie was logged into the comm system and listened in on Kraig and Luise's conversation.

"Wait, why should we be worried about the possibility of people tracking us? Is this an illegal salvaging, or is it more of a secrecy tactic to have all the salvage for yourself?" He inquired.
Steve Cable
 NPC in Memoriam, 360 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Sat 14 Oct 2017
at 19:24
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"It's not illegal that I know of," Steve answered, casting a glance at Dr. Hans.

"I'm not even sure there is such a thing as 'illegal salvage'... out in space, at any rate. Unless you count salvaging a still-functioning space station with people on it."

"It's supposed to be an 'alien' starship. No data on which 'alien' species it belongs to. Could be Aslan, or Vargr, or Droyne, or Hive. Not a whole lot of value there."

"I think the concern is that it might be Ancient, or some previously unknown aliens. If that was the case, then we'd be in a mad race and competition for the salvage."

"Also, since all the other interested parties pretty much wrote off Dr. Hans as a quack, or mad scientist, if they realize that we've taken him up on his offer, they might consider that validation... and then they'd scramble their own salvage team."

"They wouldn't have any trouble figuring out where we'd gone."

"So, to answer your question, it's about secrecy. If it turns out to be more than we can handle, well, we can always bring in more parties. But, we want that to be our decision... our choice."

Rickie Rhinorack
 player, 8 posts
 Medical Pilot
Sun 15 Oct 2017
at 18:47
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Rickie listened to Steve and pondered over this possibility of an ancient derelict alien ship. He pondered, even more so, if the ship could be a previously unknown species. He came to the realization of this and the subsequent and possibly violent rat race.

"I understand. Thanks for explaining why you're taking these measures. You certainly should be concerned about tracking." Rickie said, now enlightened on the topic.  "However, Kraig brings up a valid point about the system's forces detecting an unexpected jump. Any way we can avoid detection?" Rickie asked.
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 29 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Sun 15 Oct 2017
at 23:19
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Hans responds: "I treated a miner when I first arrived on Dinomn.  Unfortunately he was to far gone for me to prevent his death, but I was able to ease his passing.  He paid me with a claim to an asteroid in the Oort Cloud that he said had an 'alien' ship crashed on it.  The scan recordings he gave me along with the claim where indistinct but do seem to show an unknown ship.  I double checked the claim and it's a legal claim but everyone on planet thinks I got hoodwinked by a crazy, dying old man.  Personally, I am sure he was telling what he thought was the truth."

"I urge caution jumping out because I really have no idea who or what might be out there.  While it's unlikely that there might be a problem, I can think of multiple things.  So being cautious doesn't really cost us anything and probably is not needed, but why take the chance?"

Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 277 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Mon 16 Oct 2017
at 00:21
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Gahler's ears twitched, "what did the miner die from? Radiation poisoning or something else?"
Luise Wechsler
 player, 123 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Mon 16 Oct 2017
at 01:29
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"That's a good question, Gahler" Luise added. "If this miner never actually boarded this alien ship, then it doesn't sound like he could have picked up some pathological disease."

"Though... it does make me wonder what he was doing out in the Oort Cloud. Could he have plotted the course for some long-term comet, and chased it out into the Oort Cloud?"

"For that matter, I'm wondering now why this alien ship was out there in the first place. I gather that the data showed the ship was stationary... it wasn't drifting?"

Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 30 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Mon 16 Oct 2017
at 23:49
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Hans responds: "He died from a combination of old age, a hard life and a brain tumor.  The tumor looked to have been a slow growing type so he probably had it for years.  The tumor's side effects may have accounted for some of the miner's eccentricities and his reputation as crazy.  He was so worn out from age and hard life that he did not recover from the surgery to remove the tumor.  He regained consciousness after the surgery, but just didn't have the fight left to recover.  He told me about the claim and the ship and passed on the scans I have.  His scanners were tuned for metal deposits and do not give a clear view of the ship.  The ship is on the asteroid that the claim goes to."

"This system does not have an asteroid belt.  There are some asteroids in the Trojan points of the gas giants, but over the years most of those have been surveyed and claimed.  Most of the remaining miners are exploring the Oort Cloud, although it takes a good deposit to pay off because of the extra expense in transporting materials from the Oort Cloud."

Kraig Pars
 Player, 444 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Tue 17 Oct 2017
at 05:59
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig spoke up.  "Certainly Dr. Bomar should make it discretely known that he is leaving the system for some plausible reason not related to the salvage.  That might distract or deter some attention."
StarMaster
 GM, 445 posts
 Referee
Tue 17 Oct 2017
at 16:36
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
The minutes pass, and it's departure time.

Gahler takes the ship up, and heads out on the given vector to the designated jump point.

It takes a few hours to reach the jump point, but as soon as Steve on sensors and Kraig on astrogation give the okay, jump transition is authorized.
Hans Matherson
 Player, 107 posts
 Ex Scout
Tue 17 Oct 2017
at 16:58
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Although they weren't likely to be needed, Hans took up the weapons station, as much to keep out of the way as anything else.

"So, Baron," he asked Solomon over the comms, "are you a stickler for the formal title, or would you rather we just call you Solomon?"

One noble on board was bad enough; two was going to make things really strange. Luise was 'one of the guys', though, at least most of the time. He'd picked up enough from previous friends and acquaintances to understand that when titles were involved, using them or not was a situational call. You might be enlisted but be friends with an officer, for instance. Outside of a military situation, you could call him Fred and he could call you Jack. In the military, however, you'd never be that familiar.

So, when the social situation called for it, Luise was Baroness Welchsler. The rest of the time, she was just Luise.
Solomon Cantos
 player, 2 posts
 Human Noble Diplomat
Wed 18 Oct 2017
at 00:43
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"In formal settings I generally expect to be called by my title. Outside of that It doesn't really matter to me at this point".
Kraig Pars
 Player, 445 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sun 22 Oct 2017
at 00:09
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
With authorization Kraig looked back at Luise; "We're ready to Jump, request permission to initiate transition."
Luise Wechsler
 player, 124 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Mon 23 Oct 2017
at 00:23
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Let the adventure begin!" Luise replies. "Go ahead and initiate jump."

And now comes a week of waiting, she thought. No matter how much training and studying they did, you couldn't quite put the time out of your mind. She knew one spacer who simply got drunk for a week.

She wasn't a stickler for tradition, but it was still customary for the lights to dim when jump-transition was made. It harkened back to when power was at more of a premium.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 446 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Mon 23 Oct 2017
at 03:17
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig smiled and nodded.  Over the intercom he announced; "Stand by to Jump, stand by to Jump."

He used the big key to unlock the console and then pulled back the handles to initiate the Jump.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:53, Mon 23 Oct 2017.

Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 278 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Mon 23 Oct 2017
at 03:43
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
As soon as the J-space filled the screens with a successful translation, Gahler rubbed his hands together. "So anyone for a dram or two of whisky?"
"Lets now see these scans of the wreck and all. As we be committed to the task at hand."

Kraig Pars
 Player, 447 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Mon 23 Oct 2017
at 23:53
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig examined his instruments and when everything turned up green he sighed and locked his console.  "All good.  I can use that drink and a bit more information on the wreck as well."
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 31 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Tue 24 Oct 2017
at 23:54
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Dr. Bomar makes sure the scans of the ship and asteroid are loaded to the Dust Runners computer so that any one can examine them.  Although he had not gotten much out of them, people with different specialties might see something.

"Gahler, I'll join you for a drink.  However, whiskey is a little harsh for my palate.  I prefer something smoother, like wine."  Bomar pours himself a glass of wine and joins the others in examining the scans and the associated get together, brainstorming session.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 448 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Wed 25 Oct 2017
at 00:16
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig stood up and walked over to the holographic display as the images of the ship and asteroid came up.  He chuckled; "Whiskey always kicks me in gear."
Rickie Rhinorack
 player, 9 posts
 Medical Pilot
Wed 25 Oct 2017
at 02:23
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
After hearing talk of the wrecked ship on the asteroid, Rickie exited the Medical Bay and came over to investigate the display. As he glanced at it, however, he noticed some striking similarities.

"Hmm, yes. This looks... Interesting." Rickie muttered to himself. "Gimme a shot of the hardest thing you've got!" he exclaimed in a much louder tone. "I need something that's going to get me through this trip."

This message was last edited by the player at 21:29, Sun 29 Oct 2017.

Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 32 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Sat 28 Oct 2017
at 15:11
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
For the week of the jump Bomar spends most of his time in his ship, tinkering in his lab and mainly studying Engineering(Electronics).  He is at most meals and occasionally hangs out to socialize.  It is noticeable that he seems to be up most hours of the day and night.  Either he keeps very irregular sleep hours or he needs very little sleep.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 279 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Sun 29 Oct 2017
at 01:33
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Looking over the information, Gahler nodded. "Well, looks like we have our work cut out for us then."

The rest of the time in J-space: Gahler resumes hi studies in Brokering.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:34, Sun 29 Oct 2017.

Rickie Rhinorack
 player, 10 posts
 Medical Pilot
Sun 29 Oct 2017
at 21:33
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
After having some heavy drinks, Rickie retires to the Medical Bay for the majority of the trip playing with, then studying Psionicology. He does take the time to familiarize himself with the tools and functions of the items in the Medical Bay.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:02, Tue 31 Oct 2017.

StarMaster
 GM, 447 posts
 Referee
Mon 30 Oct 2017
at 03:11
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
The scans that everyone looked at were rather 'grainy', which seemed odd. There clearly wasn't any atmosphere between the ship that had done the scanning and the planetessimal that held the alien wreck.

It had to have come from transmission, even though it was probably digital. No, that wasn't right. Somewhere along the way, the digital image had been converted to an analog image, and then converted back to a digital one. That was almost an antique!

According to the range finder data, it was about the side of a subsidized merchant, so maybe a 400-ton ship. It seemed to have swept-back wings, but it was unclear if these were functional or decorative. Normally, wings on a starship would simply indicate that it was designed to land in an atmosphere. Being an alien ship... who could say?

It was also clear, however grainy the image was, that there was a very large hole at the back of the ship... presumably where the engines and power plant would be located. Unless the alien design put those things in other areas, they weren't there any more. That probably meant the ship wouldn't fly any more.


Other than that, the week in J-space passes with the usual uneventfulness. That's not to say nothing is done. Even the steward isn't busy 24-7. Minor repairs get made, like replacing the battery in the smoke detector, changing a light bulb or two, etc.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 449 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sat 4 Nov 2017
at 04:46
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig does what he can to study the information available.  The rest of the time is spent helping with maintenance and training himself.
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 33 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Sat 4 Nov 2017
at 14:34
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Once the Dust Runner emerges from Jump space, Bomar invites Rickie to join him on his launch.  He launches his launch and will parallel the Dust Runner as we approach the asteroid.  Bomar will scan the vicinity as we approach and then concentrate on scanning the asteroid and 'alien' ship as we approach.  "Let's see what's out here."
StarMaster
 GM, 449 posts
 Referee
Sat 4 Nov 2017
at 18:31
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Clearing up the scans only works a little bit, but you eventually can see that the alien ship appears to have made a 'belly-flop' landing on the asteroid. Although there are probably millions, if not billions, of similar asteroids out here in the Oort Cloud, the Cloud is just so vast that there is nothing else nearby.

Sensors pick up specks... tiny rocks in the area that whiz by. And there's the dust... but then the sensors register the presence of dark matter. That wouldn't normally be significant, as it's everywhere, but there is a particular concentration of it in this vicinity. With some tweaking, the dark matter can be traced to the alien ship.

Bomar's sensors, cross-matched with the Dust Runner's, identify the alien ship as being made primarily of planarium. That's one of those trans-uranic elements in the stable plateau. In theory, it could and therefore should exist, but no source of it has ever been found. Occasionally, traces of it have been detected in dwarf planets and dwarf stars.

Little else can be discerned about the alien ship. The hull is too dense for any kind of penetrating sensors, although neutrinos still pass through it without being affected.

The ship appears to have heavy weapons on the tips of its wings. That is, the 'guns' are large, probably not as heavy as they look, though.

As you start getting closer, you can get a better view of the ship, particularly in cross-section. Unless it was built by a very tall species, it probably has two decks... that extend out even onto the wings.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 281 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Sun 5 Nov 2017
at 02:11
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Any idea of the tonnage of the ship?" Gahler queried as they came closer.
"The big question is what blew out the back and how did it get here?"
"The ship logs would likely give us more information but if it be an alien species. translating it will be a pain."

Kraig Pars
 Player, 451 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sun 5 Nov 2017
at 08:01
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig glances at the sensor results and lets out a low whistle.  "The material of that hull would be worth a fortune alone if we can get it back to civilization and not have it seized by the government.  The flow of dark matter is odd.  It must have something to do with the power source or maybe even with the material of the hull.  Let's move in within a few hundred yards and continue to scan."
StarMaster
 GM, 450 posts
 Referee
Mon 6 Nov 2017
at 00:57
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
The ship looked to be about 400 tons, but since it was alien design, it's not likely that the aliens used the same measurement system. It might be a 200-sklang ship for them, which translates as a 407-ton ship.

While some weapon could have caused the damage to the ship, it looks a bit too precise for known targeting systems. The second option is that the power plant went critical. Again, though, it doesn't look like an explosion, so it's hard to say what sort of 'critical' might have caused it.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 282 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Mon 6 Nov 2017
at 02:31
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Maybe a jump drive malfunction." Gahler muttered, "Any weird radiation coming off the aft section?"
"Any docking rings visible?"

Gahler edged the ship around in small, slow increments so to allow sensors to pick up any weirdness.
"We planning to dock or shuttle it over?"
Kraig Pars
 Player, 452 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Mon 6 Nov 2017
at 05:24
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig looked at the screens.  "Maybe someone cut the ship open and took the drives out?"  He moved the ship halfway closer and focused the sensors.
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 34 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Tue 7 Nov 2017
at 00:55
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Bomar replies over comm: "I would suggest using my launch to shuttle over and not risk the ship to contamination or other things by docking the ship to the alien vessel."

Bomar scans the ship trying to find any airlocks, cargo bays or small craft bays.  He also tries to get an accurate present tonnage on the alien vessel.  While it looks to be 400dtons when in one piece, with the chunk missing what is the vessel reduced to in actual tonnage?
StarMaster
 GM, 452 posts
 Referee
Tue 7 Nov 2017
at 14:46
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
There is nothing that suggests a 'docking ring', but there appear to be a pair of airlocks... one on either side of the neck... those two dark areas.

There are no energy readings coming from the ship... just the concentrated presence of dark matter. The closer you get, though, the more likely it seems that the dark matter is either coming from the asteroid or a part of it.

Unfortunately, the planarium hull scatters nearly all scanning energies. While it doesn't negate neutrinos, those aren't (yet) usable for scanning purposes.

Without knowing what the original configuration of the ship was, it's hard to say how much is actually missing. If you subscribe to the 'form follows function' philosophy, then there probably isn't much more than 4-5 tons missing. On the other hand, there could be a major chunk that stuck out behind the ship for some peculiar design reason, in which case as much as 20 tons might be missing.


The shape of the missing section pretty much precludes anyone having cut out the engines or power plant. The circular pattern can only have been made by a field effect, such as some sort of zone generator. There's nothing currently known that can generate a slicing force field like that.
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 35 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Tue 14 Nov 2017
at 00:46
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Bomar docks with the Dust Runner to pick up any one interested in joining the exploration group.  He then flies his launch over to the alien ship and does a close in pass to look for any other details or marking on the outside of the ship.  Finally he will look to land as close to the hole in the ship as he can.

"Time to take a walk and look inside this thing."
  Bomar checks his environment suit and that one of his skill chip sets is stored in the suit, along with tools, air, water and rations.

Once ready to go, Bomar and any one interested, cycle through the air lock and walk over to the hole in the ship.  He scans the area, the hole and the inside of the ship through the hole.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 283 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Tue 14 Nov 2017
at 07:44
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Gahler looks to the Skipper, "So who goes and who stays Skipper?"
"Are we going to take a classic landline to the lay from the airlock and a small repeater com as we explore or hope our com units work inside."

Luise Wechsler
 player, 125 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Wed 15 Nov 2017
at 14:58
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Everyone can't go, of course," she answers Gahler. "If, for some reason, you all get trapped or killed, I'd still need enough crew to go get help."

"Yes, that means I'm staying here, as much as I'd like to go."

"Obviously, Dr. Bomar is going. I thought I heard Rickie mutter something about the ship looking familiar, so he should go."

"Gahler, Kraig and Arc should go. How about you, IM? Feel like a little exploring?"

Rickie Rhinorack
 player, 12 posts
 Medical Pilot
Thu 16 Nov 2017
at 02:44
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Having finally finished analyzing the basic concepts of Psionicology, Rickie logged back onto the comms, at the right time to overhear the discussion about who would go to look inside the ship. They were here.

Rickie ran to the nearest screen-harboring room to look at the derelict ship. What he saw confirmed his thoughts when seeing the holographic image. This ship truly was one from that species all those years ago.

Rickie replied to all crewmates over the comms, rather frantically: "Yeah I'm definitely coming, this is going to be great guys Ithink Iknowsomething aboutthisshipitmightbetheonefromthe timewhenmyplanetgotinvad-" He stopped, out of breath. He took a deep breath and continued.

"This derelict ship may be from a species that my planet fought against, so I may recognize it."
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 37 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Mon 20 Nov 2017
at 23:52
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Bomar and company approach the rear of the ship with it's gaping hole.  He scans the ship and the asteroid, looking for anything dangerous, clues on the ship and if he can detect the source of the dark matter, the ship of the asteroid?  One thing of interest is does the missing part reveal decks, passages and/or compartments in the rest of the ship that we can access the ship through?
Kraig Pars
 Player, 453 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Thu 23 Nov 2017
at 05:32
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig locked the controls after seeing that they were in a stable position relative to the alien ship.  He straightened up and nodded to Luise.  "I definitely would like to go.  We should bring weapons just in case and I'll load a set of mechanical tools from the engine room in case we have to crack into anything."

He heads back and gathers a set of tools, spare air cylinders for the vac suit, camera to record their find and of course his vac suit.

On the way over he looks at his fellow crewmate.  "What happened to your homeworld Rickie?  Can you fill us in on why this might be from a familiar species?  What do you know about them?"

As they approach the wreck he looks through the view port.  "Once it's safe bring us in to dock with one of the air locks.  We'll want to stay in our suits until we know it is safe."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 286 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Thu 23 Nov 2017
at 08:21
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Well lets get ourselves ready then."
After donning his vac suit and attaching a spare air tank. He bundled together his loaded Assault Shotgun along with a spare clip of 20 rounds.
In a small pack he added a coil of rope, two com signal boosters he collected from the ship's locker along with a large prybar, set of mechanics tools and a first aid kit. Lastly he strapped his hand computer to his forearm ready for use if needed.
Rickie Rhinorack
 player, 14 posts
 Medical Pilot
Thu 23 Nov 2017
at 14:59
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
In preparation to board the alien ship, Rickie put on his vac suit, 2 extra air cylinders, a Pump-action Shotgun with a full clip, and 10 separately packed high-velocity slugs. After that, He donned 3 space-oriented medical syringes, an Advanced Space Defibrillator(ASD), Cyber-woven bandages, a standard First aid Kit, and a blaster-looking piece of equipment he got from the Medical Bay.

While preparing, he conversed with Kraig.

"Well, my homeworld is safe. For now. I just know that there was a hostile species planning to invade us. We repelled their attacks and eventually chased them out of our home galaxy. We found out that they were planning to do so after I revived this alien who crashed into a field near me with that exact same type of ship, a scout ship, it seems to be."

Rickie took a pause to look at the ship in its entirety. After gazing for a few seconds, he continued: "My point here is, if you think this is the biggest ship of their species, think again. And if you find anything fully functional there, I wouldn't take it, because we could be tracked."

This message was last edited by the player at 15:03, Thu 23 Nov 2017.

Kraig Pars
 Player, 454 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Fri 24 Nov 2017
at 07:27
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig listened.  "So you come from well outside the Imperium then Rickie?  Do you expect them to come back and attack us here?"
Rickie Rhinorack
 player, 15 posts
 Medical Pilot
Sat 25 Nov 2017
at 02:10
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"You could say that. I come from the planet of Peperan, more generally, the Republic of Peperan if you're referring to the subsector. My race and government has no communication or affiliation with the Imperium, so that could explain why you don't have this ship documented yet. To answer your latter question, I doubt they, given their hive-mind nature, would come back with anything for a mere scout ship. Unless it was scouting an enemy species or planet, in which that case they already would've came. However, if we activate or use something in that ship, they'll know and definitely will come." Rickie answered.
Arc Tangent
 Player, 46 posts
Sat 25 Nov 2017
at 17:46
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"I don't know about that," Jason spoke up. "Unless they have incredibly advanced technology... not just different, but really, really advanced... there's no tracking over the distances you are implying."

"There's no faster-than-light communications except for jumpspace travel, so unless they have some sort of spy network set up with x-boats, there's no way these aliens are going to know we've taken anything from their ship."

"That's my opinion, anyway. Besides, their power source is gone, so there's nothing to power that sort of transponder. And even if there is something in their computer or communications system, or maybe even weapons, we should probably be able to find it and disable it."

Kraig Pars
 Player, 455 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sun 26 Nov 2017
at 07:07
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"If you are from outside this galaxy then I'd say you're definitely outside the ken of the Imperium." Kraig frowned as he listened to the explanation of the aliens and their technology.  "So do you think that this may be a scout for a larger attack on the Imperium or possibly a lost ship?"
Arc Tangent
 Player, 47 posts
Fri 1 Dec 2017
at 00:31
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"I don't think he meant he was from outside the galaxy," Arc suggested. "That would require a jump-5000 drive, or else 1000 consecutive jumps. And crossing the void between galaxies, where would he get fuel?"

"The Imperium has barely explored this arm of the Milky Way, so there's still a lot of room in this galaxy for these invaders to have come from."

Rickie Rhinorack
 player, 16 posts
 Medical Pilot
Sun 3 Dec 2017
at 21:54
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
listening to their conversation, Rickie interjected:

"I understand your thoughts, gentlemen, but to clear some things up: my species and the species of this ship aren't in a different galaxy, although they are pretty close to the edge of an arm. However, they had ships like these everywhere around their system to control the 'airspace,' so to say. In reference to the current situation, my previous assumption was an overstatement; there is no way this is an important scout ship, or they would've come back by now to retrieve it or the information it contained. They do routinely sent a drone if the scout ship doesn't return to report its information, but that takes several years or more to do, because of the length of routine exploration time, as we've observed in Peperan." At this point Rickie paused.

"How exactly derelict is this ship? Do you know how long it has been since it crashed? Or does only the previous owner of this asteroid know?" Rickie pondered.

"In any case, we should still be cautious. Refrain from activating any weapons systems from fear of accidental fire. You should disable these systems, Jason, if there is a way the ship truly does have a power source and the systems aren't too unrecognizable."

This message was last edited by the player at 15:01, Mon 04 Dec 2017.

Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 38 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Mon 4 Dec 2017
at 01:42
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Dr. Bomar waits patiently on the asteroids surface for the others to join him.  He scans the area, trying to build up as much data as possible on the craft and the dark matter that seems to infest the area.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 287 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Mon 4 Dec 2017
at 03:07
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Best we bring over a battery pack then with a variety of leads. Give us some juice to get some computers working enough to learn something useful." Gahler added as he readied himself.
He strolled down to the ship's locker to get one.

At the airlock he had plenty to bring with him.
'might be a second trip to get all this stuff across.' he thought to himself.
StarMaster
 GM, 455 posts
 Referee
Tue 5 Dec 2017
at 13:23
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Standing on the asteroid's surface, it's a strange view of the back of the alien ship. Normal hand sensors aren't designed to pick up dark matter or dark energy, but Hans was able to modify his to do that. The dark matter seems to have a higher concentration in the area of the missing part of the ship.

As the group gets closer to the ship, it's a bit clearer view of the 'damage'. The circular pattern had been strange and suspicious to begin with; up closer, you can see that the damage is sheer. There is no sign of melting or fusion or cutting... the missing part just seems to have... vanished.

Coupled with the dark matter presence, it's looking more and more like the ship might have been using a dark matter fusion reactor... or something similar. And something went wrong. The quantum physics are beyond anything Hans knows or has ever heard of.
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 39 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Wed 6 Dec 2017
at 00:05
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Hans studies the readings and the hole in the ship.  It looks like the missing section would be spherical, with part of the sphere being above and below the ship.  If the something went wrong happened while the ship was parked on the asteroid, then the sphere should extend into the surface of the asteroid.  If the something went wrong happened somewhere else and the ship just came to rest here, then why is the dark matter concentrated in the missing section of the ship?  Hans checks the section of the asteroid below the ship to see if the missing sphere extends into the asteroid.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 456 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sat 9 Dec 2017
at 05:09
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig shook his head.  "It's good to hear that the owners of this ship or their friends may not be back soon.  From the look of the technology involved I'm definitely not a fan of poking around and activating something of which we are unware."

He followed the others up to the ship and looked for signs of a hatch or other more standard entrance.
Rickie Rhinorack
 player, 17 posts
 Medical Pilot
Sun 10 Dec 2017
at 15:00
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Carrying his equipment, Rickie followed Kraig and the others to the ship as well, awaiting orders.
StarMaster
 GM, 456 posts
 Referee
Sun 10 Dec 2017
at 22:07
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
As you approach closer to the ship, you can see that the sheared edge does, indeed, conform to a spherical area. However, the sphere does not extend into the asteroid. Either the asteroid had some quality that made it immune to the effect, or else the ship wasn't here when it happened.

As for the concentration of dark matter, it's probably still there because of a field effect that's somehow attached to the rest of the ship.

From the back, you can see that there are two decks visible, plus an engineering level above and below them... not even crawl spaces, but just where the mechanicals are placed.


There are two airlocks on the side of the ship under the wings. Neither of them are open.

You can easily climb/jump into the open rear area of the ship, though. It is known that dark matter and dark energy are all around you under normal circumstances, yet it has no affect on normal matter or energy.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 288 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Sun 10 Dec 2017
at 23:50
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Lets get one of those airlocks open and see what is inside." Gahler encouraged.
"The one closest to our ship looks good."
Making the passage from one ship to the other he engaged the boot magnets to walk over to the airlock and start the process of getting it open.

Gahler Grohlson rolled 8 using 2d6+2 with rolls of 3,3.  Mechanics/engineering .

This message was last edited by the player at 23:51, Sun 10 Dec 2017.

StarMaster
 GM, 457 posts
 Referee
Tue 12 Dec 2017
at 23:01
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
As you reach the airlock on the starboard side, you spot a second airlock on the upper deck 20 or 30 feet farther forward.

You also realize that if the ship has landing gear, it didn't land on them.

And the airlock in front of you seems to be a bit on the small side.

The lever under the manual override cover is also a bit on the small side, but it can be operated with a bit of effort.

The airlock's outer door is released and it has to be pulled open.
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 40 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Wed 13 Dec 2017
at 00:37
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
While the airlock is worked on, Dr. Bomar stays outside the spherical area where the dark matter is congregated, but examines the revealed inside of the ship, especially the construction details and the equipment in the revealed engineering spaces.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 457 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sat 16 Dec 2017
at 03:16
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig goes over and helps Gahler get the airlock open.
StarMaster
 GM, 459 posts
 Referee
Sat 16 Dec 2017
at 19:06
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Opening the outer airlock door, you see the actual airlock. It's a bit larger than you might have expected. The inner door, however, is the same size as the outer one.

The walls have the same pattern/décor as the outer hull--exposed conduits and circuits and housings.

There is a viewport in the inner airlock door, but you have to bend over to see through it properly.

The symbol on the airlock controls seems to indicate that there is no atmosphere beyond the door.
Rickie Rhinorack
 player, 18 posts
 Medical Pilot
Sat 16 Dec 2017
at 20:01
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Seeing that the outer airlock door has been opened and there were no immediate orders to be given, Rickie briefly goes to check on Dr. Bomar. He sees him hard at work examining the interior of the ship.

"Hey, Doctor!" Rickie exclaimed while approaching him. "Find anything unusual?"

This message was last edited by the player at 20:03, Sat 16 Dec 2017.

Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 289 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Sat 16 Dec 2017
at 21:20
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Gahler moves into the airlock, bringing his gear with him and starts on the second door.
"the ship design is for smaller folk or with small limbs it looks like from the size of the layout." Gahler commented as he went to work on the door mechanism.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:21, Sat 16 Dec 2017.

Kraig Pars
 Player, 459 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sun 17 Dec 2017
at 07:37
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Definitely little folks..."  He turned. "Hey Rickie, are these aliens smaller than humans?"
StarMaster
 GM, 460 posts
 Referee
Sun 17 Dec 2017
at 14:47
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Going with the form follows function theory, the inside of the ship that Hans can see appears to be typical of humanoid construction. He can see hallways and compartments, filled with typical items of furniture. The doors all appear to be on the short side, but the ceilings seem to be normal height.

What he can see is that there doesn't appear to be any aesthetic to the interior decor--it all looks just like the outside. The walls are covered in circuits, conduits and housings for all the controls. Normal human building techniques tend to put all that inside the walls; here, it's on the outside. This would seem to serve two functions: it makes it easier to access and repair such items, and it probably means the walls are stronger, albeit not by much. On the cutaway parts, he notices that the walls appear to be solid.

On the other hand, noticing how the conduits, circuits and housings are located, he thinks he sees a pattern to them in some cases. It's not an ordered pattern, such as circuits in the middle, conduits at the top, housings at the bottom... not that sort of pattern, but more like an artistic pattern... if you can call random industrial chaos 'artistic'.

Although normal humanoid architecture designs walls, floors and ceilings with the intent for aesthetics (predetermined windows, doors, light fixtures, AC, plumbing and controls), decor isn't usually part of that process. Here, it looks like it might be, which would make architectural design a greater order of magnitude.
Rickie Rhinorack
 player, 19 posts
 Medical Pilot
Sun 17 Dec 2017
at 19:58
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Rickie turned around when he heard Kraig.

He chuckled. "They would definitely be smaller than the average human... But they do have abnormally chubby bellies compared to their slim limbs and shrunken composure."

Rickie proceeded to glance at the outer and inner airlocks. "The lever mechanism should work fine for you guys, though. Although their extremities are long and spindly, they work like human hands."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 460 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Mon 18 Dec 2017
at 01:22
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig looked around at the design of the interior and let out a low whistle.  "They've definitely taken another route to systems layout.  The functionality is integrated in a way I've never seen it.  Even if these guys are homicidal, chubby gnomes I like how they design and build."  He looked around.  "Shall we head forward where a bridge might be if things stay as familiar?"
StarMaster
 GM, 463 posts
 Referee
Wed 27 Dec 2017
at 15:14
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Chances are the bridge is on the upper level, not on this lower level, but then again, these are aliens, so who knows how they build their ships.

The airlock is a typical double-door set up... inner and outer. Both doors open outwards, so that the smallish airlock could accommodate maybe 5 people... or 7 or 8 of the diminutive aliens.

However, since there is apparently no internal atmosphere any more (at least, not in the central hallway--if there had been an airlock into engineering, it disappeared with most of engineering), so both doors can be opened at the same time.

Beyond the inner airlock door, there is a 20-foot long corridor that runs into the central corridor that was observable from the aft end of the ship. On the other side of the central corridor is another short corridor that appears to go to another airlock.

In these short corridors, there are three doors on each side. You can see the outline on three sides, but the fourth side has no seam.

Anyone with engineering skill or something similar notices that the conduits and such continue over the doors, though not all of it does--some clearly go around the door, further emphasizing the presence of a door. You think it' a door rather than some sort of access panel because an access panel would indicate a 'hollow' space in the wall, but that's not the way this ship was constructed.

You might also notice that none of the circuits, conduits, or housings seem to be fastened to the wall with screws or bolts, though it's unclear what keeps them fastened to the wall.

Also, there is no light inside. Presumably, the power plant also vanished with the back of the ship.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 461 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Thu 28 Dec 2017
at 06:22
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig shined his light about in the darkness and paused at each door.  "Do you want to do a thorough search room by room or head to where the important stuff might be?"
Arc Tangent
 Player, 48 posts
Thu 28 Dec 2017
at 14:06
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"I suppose it depends on what you consider 'the important stuff'," Arc replied.

"By my reckoning, the important stuff isn't here any more. The engines and power plant and probably most of engineering seems to have vanished in a puff of smoke."

"The weapons didn't look familiar to me, but those look like they are accessed from the outside."

"Depending on how these aliens think... which is certainly different from us... although the overall design of the ship is kind of standard thinking, isn't it? So, sensors, communications and computer might not have been in engineering."

"The timing is an issue. We don't have any idea how long this ship has been here, do we? So, without power, there probably aren't any survivors."

"Rickie... do you know if these people used vacc suits? Or cold sleep? At least with the latter, there might be enough internal power for one or more to have survived. And just how hostile are they?"

Kraig Pars
 Player, 462 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Fri 29 Dec 2017
at 06:47
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"If the engineering is gone then we'd best find the bridge or the alien equivalent first and then do a thorough search."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 290 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Sun 31 Dec 2017
at 03:17
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Lets just pick a door and see what we are dealing with here."
"A crewman's room can give us some understanding of the layout if we can power up a work station."
Gahler replied.
Picking a nearby door on the left, Gahler set to work getting it open.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 463 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sun 31 Dec 2017
at 03:19
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig shrugged.  "That works." He pitched in to get the door open.
Rickie Rhinorack
 player, 22 posts
 Medical Pilot
Sun 31 Dec 2017
at 21:54
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
As he entered the ship, Rickie felt a rush of nostalgia hit him. He recognized part of the interior specifically from when he revived the alien. He always wondered how they made their wiring connect to the walls without any physical visible adhesive. Then again, Their ships didn't really make that much sense to the human mind. How is it possible that what they called in their language bridges were simply levitating platforms? What did they possibly use to levitate such platforms anyway? In all of Rickie's time in the war, he'd always analyzed the body of the aliens, but nothing further than that. It was just too convoluted. Rickie never even thought of the technology level of the aliens, but he had heard from fellow citizens in his time that it was at least of their civilization 2 centuries advanced. But then they shouldn't have been able to win that war... or at least-

Rickie was suddenly snapped back into reality by Kraig's question. He wanted to answer, but he then heard the answer from Arc and decided to keep quiet. Then he himself asked Rickie a question.

"That's a tough question. I had never seen the entire ship's interior, but I do know that they don't sleep, or go in "rest mode" in their living quarters. So it would make the best sense that they have some sort of sleep mechanism/chamber where they regain energy. However, I had never seen these guys wear vacuum suits, and cold sleep would harm the glowing diamond by freezing it, hence killing the vessel. It would probably be a thermal or heat-generating sleep that still preserved them." Rickie answered.

"Hey, I just noticed I never told you guys the name of this alien species. Would you like to know, or do you prefer finding it out for yourself?"

This message was last edited by the player at 21:55, Sun 31 Dec 2017.

Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 42 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Sun 31 Dec 2017
at 23:46
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Once the airlock is opened, Bomar heads into the ship with the others.  "I vote we check each of the doors as we come to them.  This ship looks to have been here a long time and I would not expect there to be survivors.  But I would not want to leave a possible danger behind us as we work our way forward.  We have time, let's look this ship over methodically."

While the door is being worked on, Bomar will be scanning and examining the tubing and conduits that run along  the walls and ceiling.  "It looks like the conduits are melded to the walls.  Probably a large scale form of 3-D printing at a molecular level."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 464 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Mon 1 Jan 2018
at 05:14
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig listened to Rickie as he explained a bit more about the aliens.  "Let's hear the name Rickie.  It might help us in our explorations."
Arc Tangent
 Player, 49 posts
Mon 1 Jan 2018
at 20:37
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Is that your name for them, or their name for themselves?" Arc wondered.

"Their name for themselves probably isn't even pronounceable by us."
StarMaster
 GM, 464 posts
 Referee
Mon 1 Jan 2018
at 20:44
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
The doors in this short hallway turn out to be held closed by some sort of magnetic catch; at least, you guess that's what it is, since there is no mechanical catch visible. You press on the door in the upper corner and it springs open.

The hinge appears to be some sort of flexible metal. It at least has the properties of rubber.

Behind the doors on the left are shallow cabinets/closets that appear to be holding weapons. There are four small arms in a column, and then one long arm held vertically.

The closets on the right are storage closets housing some sort of spacesuit.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 292 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Mon 1 Jan 2018
at 22:30
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Looks like emergency lockers." Gahler offered, "We should gather some samples which we can sell later."

OOC: The space suits look to be for small folk?
StarMaster
 GM, 465 posts
 Referee
Tue 2 Jan 2018
at 02:20
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Yes, the spacesuits look to be small people about 4 feet tall.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 465 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Tue 2 Jan 2018
at 04:33
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"We'll want to come back and take all the weapons and one example of the space suits."  He examined the weapons closely.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 293 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Tue 2 Jan 2018
at 10:42
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Leaving the emergency storage locker doors open, Gahler moved to the next door to see about opening it.
Rickie Rhinorack
 player, 23 posts
 Medical Pilot
Tue 2 Jan 2018
at 14:24
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"You're correct, Arc. Our people on Peperan weren't able to decipher one word of their language, much less what they would call themselves. We defaulted to just calling them what they looked like, and eventually we started calling them the 'Smej'okra,' which, in Anglic, means glowing bellies."

After telling the squad about the name of the species, Rickie followed the others in their methodical room check.

"Those small arms in a column were widely used across the Smej'okra population, so they're cheap in terms of value for them," Rickie stated. "However, these guns may be priceless if the Imperium hasn't recognized them or the material they're made of yet."
Rickie Rhinorack
 player, 24 posts
 Medical Pilot
Tue 2 Jan 2018
at 14:30
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Also, if all the doors in this hallway open the same way," He said, following Gahler, "Then it could be possible to split up to check rooms more quickly, since we don't need any mechanical expertise, simply a push in the top corner."

"Thoughts?"
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 43 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Wed 3 Jan 2018
at 00:35
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Dr. Bomar replies: "Since we aren't pressed for time, I would say to stay together for mutual support."

Bomar scans the weapons to see what type of weapon they are.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:35, Wed 03 Jan 2018.

StarMaster
 GM, 466 posts
 Referee
Wed 3 Jan 2018
at 01:15
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
The weapons and even the spacesuits are built like the ship--circuitry on the outside. Hans is surprised to detect two things in the weapons--dark energy and anti-matter.

However, there's no apparent trigger or any other moving parts that Hans can detect; it seems to be 100% digital.
Rickie Rhinorack
 player, 25 posts
 Medical Pilot
Wed 3 Jan 2018
at 03:27
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Very well, then. I don't suppose that we would split up if just one person objects to it. It would have to be a consensus." Rickie says in reply. He examines the next door and it's similar composure to the previous one.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 466 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Thu 4 Jan 2018
at 00:04
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig speaks up; "Rickie, how do the weapons work?  What makes them so unique for the Imperium?"
Rickie Rhinorack
 player, 26 posts
 Medical Pilot
Thu 4 Jan 2018
at 17:56
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"For one, none of them can be classified as ballistics or explosives," Rickie answered.

"As I've observed, The weapons you see arranged in that column are mounted on the alien's arm, then 'fired' by neurological messages, which makes it very convenient for the user. Anti-matter in the appearance of mist comes out when it's fired. The weapon harmless to humans, however, until it solidifies in the presence of matter and accelerates into whatever has a heat signature. The whole process takes about 30 seconds. I don't know much about antiparticles, but I think the Smej'okra engineered it to dissolve and break apart living matter, wherever they found it." He shudders in disgust and trauma after this statement.

"The reason they might be unique for the Imperium is their composure. Dr. Bomar's scan reveals that they have anti-matter. I was also surprised to see that the weapons have dark energy in them," He said, glancing at Dr. Bomar's scanner. "If the Imperium hasn't found weaponized anti-matter yet, these weapons would be of immense value to them. Weaponized dark energy is priceless for the same reason. They also don't have triggers, so the mechanism of the weapon may be analyzed."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 467 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Fri 5 Jan 2018
at 00:50
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig shook his head.  "If they've weaponized anti-matter this would be priceless to the Imperium let alone being able to handle dark energy.  Just a small amount of anti-matter would be a tremendous bomb if nothing else."
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 44 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Fri 5 Jan 2018
at 02:06
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Bomar frowns as he listens to Rickie's explanation: "While my understanding of Anti-matter is probably lesser than these aliens, that not how I understand Anti-matter to act.  It will take a lot of study to determine how these weapons achieve the cloud and dissolving effect Rickie describes.  One thing is certain, they do contain anti-matter in some form of stable storage.  We don't want to go poking into the weapons gizzards and disrupt that storage.  It's likely to trigger an explosion that would take all of us with it."

"I suggest that we bag the weapons and take them with us as we explore.  If there are still aliens active on-board I would prefer that they not have access to these weapons.  If we have to leave in a hurry, these can be sold and should pay for this entire expedition."

"Shall we check out the next area?"

Kraig Pars
 Player, 468 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Fri 5 Jan 2018
at 02:55
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig nodded in absolute agreement.  "I'm glad to leave these things alone.  Let's move on to the next room and do this systematically."
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 45 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Tue 9 Jan 2018
at 21:42
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Dr Bomar joins Gahler in heading to the central corridor and turning up it towards the bow of the ship.  He will stop at the first door off the corridor, open it and examine the contents.
Rickie Rhinorack
 player, 27 posts
 Medical Pilot
Mon 15 Jan 2018
at 00:17
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
As Rickie went to the next door in the bow, he stared steadily at the circuitry mysteriously lined along the walls, not connected with any visible adhesive. Could it be still active? "Has anyone really contemplated whether there would be surviving aliens in this scout vessel? Just curious." Rickie then went and looked at the interior of the next room.
StarMaster
 GM, 467 posts
 Referee
Mon 15 Jan 2018
at 19:11
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Heading towards the front of the ship, there are two doors in a short distance, one on the left, one on the right. Since the right-hand one is closer, Hans opens that door.

At first, it is hard to tell what the purpose of this room is... or was, but once you take into account the external circuitry and such, you realize that this was some sort of electromechanical workshop.

It also makes your realize one anomaly in the design of this ship--walls and ceilings are covered in circuitry and conduits, but the floors are level and smooth.
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 46 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Wed 17 Jan 2018
at 02:50
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Bomar takes detailed scans of the workshop and the tools and equipment contained there in.  Especially looking for identifiable tools like a power drill, screwdriver, etc.  Trying to extrapolate the type of power needed to run that kind of tools and what the ship would have supplied.  A workshop would likely have a computer or at least a computer terminal.  He will look for any kind of computer and make sure he scans that as well.

"Interesting data here.  You can tell a lot from the tools that are used to repair things, presumably including the hull material of this ship."

"Rickie, based upon the airlock and ship design, the aliens who flew this ship could not exist in a vacuum.  With this ship gutted open to space and no power, it's very unlikely there is a living alien on board.  There might be ones in some form of suspended animation.  If so we will deal with that if we find them."

Kraig Pars
 Player, 469 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Wed 17 Jan 2018
at 04:15
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig opened the other door.
StarMaster
 GM, 468 posts
 Referee
Fri 19 Jan 2018
at 03:04
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
The other door, not quite across the hall, turned out to be another workshop, although this one appeared to be chemical-/biological-based. Beakers and test tubes and flasks and tubing was everywhere on the tables, and it was obvious that the tops of the tables were also free of conduits and such. Not so the underside of the tables, though.

Like the other workshop, there were strange tools and apparatus that took a bit of getting used to before realizing that it was just designed for use by people that had small hands. It had to do with the function--not everything could be scaled down to a smaller size. A test tube, for instance, was already a practical size; it had nothing to do with the size of the hand that would hold it. However, a small hand would have some difficulty, so a 'test tube holder' had been invented by these people.

As near as Hans could tell, most of the chemicals and apparatus were designed for the analysis, if not actually the production of, drugs... drugs that were harmful or 'recreational' to humans, but he couldn't say what they meant to these creatures.


Somewhat oddly, there was no computer in either workshop... certainly none that was obvious as such.

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:56, Sun 21 Jan 2018.

Kraig Pars
 Player, 470 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sat 20 Jan 2018
at 05:29
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"We should gather samples of the chemicals and drugs in this lab." Kraig looked about; "What are they doing here working on drugs?"
Rickie Rhinorack
 player, 28 posts
 Medical Pilot
Sun 21 Jan 2018
at 01:28
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Rickie stepped into the room, gazing upon the abnormal workshop. "These chemicals could be worth a lot. They're not specific to the Peperani, but I don't know if the Imperium has seen them before. Don't let them touch your body, though, we don't know if we could develop mutations. I don't think we'll grow an extra limb or something, but be careful."

"Kraig, maybe these are drugs to them, but not to us? As far as I can tell, they don't seem like any human would 'get high' off of them. If so, either such drugs may have been allowed in their rules or they were doing something illegal here."
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 47 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Sun 21 Jan 2018
at 02:54
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Bomar turns from examining the contents of the room: "This seems to be more of a chemical/biological science lab.  It looks to be mainly for analyzing things, especially drugs and chemical compounds.  If I had to guess, I would say it was used for the same thing a similar lab on a human exploration ship would be.  When exploring new worlds you find new plants and animals.  They tend to have new drugs and chemicals.  This type of lab would allow you to examine the new stuff and see if it has any uses.  This is where antigathics mainly come from.  They are so complicated that most cultures can't synthesize them.  But they can be found on a few worlds, extracted and sold for quite alot.  While alot of this is basic chemistry, there are some pieces of equipment here I want to study in depth.  They look to be able to do a higher level of synthesization than the Imperium or Darien.  What concerns me is the lack of any computer capabilities.  Either the equipment is so different that we aren't recognizing it, or they have a totally different mental makeup and don't need the memory capacity and computing power that we use computers for."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 471 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sun 21 Jan 2018
at 04:23
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig pulled out a vacuum proof sample bag from his pack and began to gather what he could. "I'll keep what I collect in the sealed bag so we don't risk contamination of people or our ship."
StarMaster
 GM, 469 posts
 Referee
Sun 21 Jan 2018
at 07:08
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Until you exit this room, it hadn't quite registered on you, but there is an airlock in the hallway just past these two workshops. It is closed. It looks just like the external one you used to access the interior of the ship.

In fact, shining your light down the other way, you can see that there is another one down that way, a little farther away than this one. Presumably, that one leads to engineering.

Since the ship doesn't have power, it will have to be opened manually, just like the main airlock.
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 48 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Sun 21 Jan 2018
at 17:47
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Bomar looks fore and aft down the central corridor.  He looks for any doors off the central corridor to the aft of the airlock cross corridor.  Waving at the developing map on his wrist comp he speaks: "Shall we check the doors (if any) to the aft of this section before opening and moving on to the next section forward or just head forward?"



OOC: I think this is what we know at the moment.
 +---------------+-A-+---------------+
  !                      !      !                      !
  !         chem    D      !   em              !
  !             lab     !      D   wrkshp       !
  !                      !      !                      !
  !                      !      !                      !
  +---+-D-+D-D+      +D-D+-D-+---+
  A     A                                     A     A
  +---+-D-+D-D+      +D-D+-D-+---+
  !                      ?      ?                      !
  !                      ?      ?                      !
  !                      ?      ?                      !
  !                      ?      ?                      !
  !                      ?      ?                      !
  !                      ?      ?                      !
  !                      ?      ?                      !
 +---------------+-A-+---------------+
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 294 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Mon 22 Jan 2018
at 00:17
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Lets keep this simple. Doors as we go." Gahler replied as he moved to the next door and opened it.
StarMaster
 GM, 470 posts
 Referee
Mon 22 Jan 2018
at 15:30
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
OOC: Yes, that map is accurate.


Aft, there are two doors on either side of the corridor before you reach the aft airlock. Those doors are paired up across from each other.

Opening the first one on the left reveals a roughly square room stocked with a number of shelves, crates and barrels. The shelves are along the left-hand wall, crates stacked along the right-hand wall, and the barrels stacked down the middle of the room.

There are smaller boxes and canisters on the shelves.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 295 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Mon 22 Jan 2018
at 22:42
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Storeroom?"
"Well we have plenty of potential salvage."
Gahler quipped as he moved to open the opposite door to see if it was the same.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 472 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Mon 22 Jan 2018
at 23:31
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig opened the doors across from Gahler.
Rickie Rhinorack
 player, 29 posts
 Medical Pilot
Tue 23 Jan 2018
at 03:40
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Rickie went along with Kraig as he opened the other door, and gazed inside.
StarMaster
 GM, 471 posts
 Referee
Tue 23 Jan 2018
at 19:27
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Opening the door on the opposite side of the corridor showed the same room set-up: shelves with crates and barrels, boxes and canisters.

Two things strike you as different here, though. The first is that the containers are a different color. The ones in here are all various shades of red, orange and yellow. The ones in the other room are all various shades of green, blue and purple.

The second thing you notice, not so much different than the other room but different from the rest of the ship so far: no conduits and such on the walls or ceiling. However, as Gahler was walking out, he noticed a rack to the side of the door. It was fairly narrow, only about 15 centimeters across, but it was holding 6 devices stacked vertically. The purpose of the devices was unclear.

Over in the room across the hall, it too had a similar rack with 6 identical devices.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 296 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Tue 23 Jan 2018
at 21:26
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Gahler lifts one of the items from the racks and shows his companions, "any idea what these do?"
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 49 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Wed 24 Jan 2018
at 00:54
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Bomar scans the rooms, their contents and the devices.  He will examine the device closely and see if he has any idea of there function.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 473 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Thu 25 Jan 2018
at 02:44
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig calls out.  "There is something similar in this room as well.  Could they be devices for handling the supplies?  The colors of the boxes in this room are different."

He will try to open some of the boxes in his room.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 297 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Thu 25 Jan 2018
at 09:52
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Gahler shrugs, "could be."

Rickie Rhinorack
 player, 30 posts
 Medical Pilot
Thu 25 Jan 2018
at 16:01
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Rickie gets to work trying to open one of the yellow crates. After failing to do so, he gets frustrated and arms his shotgun.

Rickie subtly aims his shotgun at what he considered to be the corner of the crate. He moves the shotgun as close as possible without touching it, then fires.
StarMaster
 GM, 472 posts
 Referee
Thu 25 Jan 2018
at 19:29
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Any skill could potentially be useful, but it's mostly a function of intelligence and education.

Given the described stature of the species, it follows that they must have had some way to augment their ability to move items. From a practical perspective, constantly having to move a lot of smaller items is annoying and time-consuming. A large canister of food is harder to move, but you only have to do it once.

It therefore seems logical that the devices were intended to facilitate the movement of items that were too large to be handled easily by an individual. It's possible the device might also be a tool for opening the packages.

There are too many to account for some sort of inventory control device.

There would appear to be only two options for how the devices work: magnetics that interact with circuitry in the ship to levitate the items, or gravitics that would function independently of the ship.

In other words, the devices are probably cargo handlers. Exactly how they work, however, is a mystery. They are interesting in that all the circuitry appears to be internal, unlike the rest of the ship. It also appears that the rack that holds them is a recharging station.


The containers do appear to be sealed, though they can probably be 'unsealed' with the right tool. Or a shotgun.

The container appears to be made of some sort of plastic with an embedded ceramic mesh, with reinforced edges and corners. It's sturdy enough for its function, but doesn't stand up to a shotgun all that well.

Rickie has no problem blow off one of the corners. His aim is pretty accurate, as he doesn't appear to have damaged the contents. There's a layer of some kind of foam padding on top, and underneath are round objects about the size of an apple, kind of beige colored and rough textured.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 474 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sat 27 Jan 2018
at 21:25
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig steps back into the corridor as Rickie wielded his shotgun in the confined space.  "Hey, give some warning before firing.  You could hurt someone or blow up something in the crates!"  He checks to see that everyone is ok and then steps forward.  "Let's examine all this stuff in an atmosphere back on the ship or planetside.  It will be safer and there may be stuff damaged by vacuum."
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 50 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Sun 28 Jan 2018
at 00:17
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Bomar takes detailed scans of the storeroom, there contents and the contents of the crate Rickie shot.  "I must agree, blasting away with firearms is a dangerous and uncontrolled means to open anything.  There is no indication of a need for acting fast.  A slow and methodical approach to this ship and it's contents will get us more, both information and monetary return when we sell the ship."

Finishing in the storerooms, Bomar will move to the forward air lock.  He will open the doors and look into the forward compartment.
Rickie Rhinorack
 player, 31 posts
 Medical Pilot
Sun 28 Jan 2018
at 02:52
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Rickie chuckled as his frustration slowly faded away. "Yeah, sorry... Guess I got a little carried away there." Rickie admitted as he fanned away smoke from the barrel of the shotgun and loaded one of his 10 high velocity slugs into the chamber. "Hey, at least nothing was damaged inside the containers!"

He then begins to remove one layer of padding, with the intent of examining its composition.

"I recognize this padding from somewhere," Rickie muttered to no one in particular.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:55, Sun 28 Jan 2018.

Kraig Pars
 Player, 475 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sun 28 Jan 2018
at 06:28
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig shrugged and moved up to help Rickie unload the violently opened crate.
StarMaster
 GM, 473 posts
 Referee
Sun 28 Jan 2018
at 15:02
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
The canister appears to be full of small round objects, about the size of a billiard ball, although they do not appear to be consistent in diameter, color or texture, but are all within a small parameter. The color varies from beige to brown and various shades in between, and some have a pinkish tint. The texture appears rather smooth, but sort of pebbly, with a very slight ridge running around it in quadrants.



 +---------------+-A-+---------------+
 !               !   !               !
 !      chem     D   !   em          !
 !       lab     !   D   wrkshp      !
 !               !   !               !
 !               !   !               !
 +-----+-D-+-D-D-+   +-D-D-+-D-+-----+
 A     A                       A     A
 +-----+-D-+-D-D-+   +-D-D-+-D-+-----+
 !               !   !               !
 !  storeroom    D   D   storeroom   !
 !               !   !               !
 !---------------!   !---------------!
 !               !   !               !
 !               D   D               !
 !               !   !               !
 +---------------+-A-+---------------+

Arc Tangent
 Player, 50 posts
Sun 28 Jan 2018
at 15:17
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
As Kraig and Rickie begin pulling out the contents of the partially opened canister, Arc runs his scanner over the items, though he already had an idea what he'd find.

"They're organic," he said. "They looked kind of like oranges to me, or maybe apples, yet not quite either. I think they are some kind of fruit. Or vegetable. Maybe a gourd, like a squash. Could even be some kind of nut."

"What about those other two doors? Think they're just storerooms, too?"

Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 51 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Sun 28 Jan 2018
at 19:32
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Bomar will duplicate Arc's scans so that we have multiple copies of the data from the ship.  "From the ship layout, I would agree with you.  However, we should check them out before we move to the next section."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 476 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sun 28 Jan 2018
at 20:03
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig looks at their find.  "Food makes sense in a storage area like this."  He puts the objects back in the crate.  "Definitely let's move on to the next set of doors." He heads to the doorway nearest the storeroom they are currently exploring and tries to open the door.  While he does so he looks for markings of any sort that might start to correlate with what they are finding inside.
Rickie Rhinorack
 player, 32 posts
 Medical Pilot
Tue 30 Jan 2018
at 14:15
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"You are absolutely right, Arc. Although there may be something to do with the different colors of the storage containers. In my guess, they may be used to hold different types of food, or maybe even other items."

Rickie stays for a few more minutes to interact with the other crates, shaking them to hear their sounds, detecting any different markings, and other methods. He also takes an unharmed crate with an identical color to be fully examined back on the ship.

"We should also bring one of the tools so I don't end up, uh... violently opening it."

He proceeds to follow Kraig to the next room.
StarMaster
 GM, 474 posts
 Referee
Wed 31 Jan 2018
at 18:37
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
The two doors at the rear of this section are directly across from each other. They open just like the others, though you realize these are a bit wider.

Inside is a large room, empty except for a single large crate sitting in the middle of the room. This crate is considerably larger than any of the ones in the store rooms. It's a 2-meter cube, and it clearly couldn't have fitted through the door... which is why you now notice that there's another door at the back of the room. It's wide enough to have accommodated the crate.

When you look, you see that there are racks on the inside wall to either side of the door. They hold similar devices, only there are half as many because they are twice as big.

There are also no conduits and such on the floor, walls or ceiling here.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 298 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Wed 31 Jan 2018
at 21:01
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"Looks like a cargo hold. Any writing on the crate?" Gahler asks as he sets to opening the opposite door to the one just opened.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:02, Wed 31 Jan 2018.

Arc Tangent
 Player, 51 posts
Wed 31 Jan 2018
at 22:10
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"That's what it looks like to me, too," Arc responded. "However, these are aliens, so maybe this is really the bathroom."

"If that crate didn't come in through the hallway door, but could have come through the back door, that probably means there's another room back there with cargo doors."

Kraig Pars
 Player, 477 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Fri 2 Feb 2018
at 03:37
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig will walk across the room and help open the larger door.
StarMaster
 GM, 475 posts
 Referee
Sun 4 Feb 2018
at 16:45
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Walking over to the larger doors across the room, Kraig opens one of those doors and sees another room similar to the one he's in. This one is longer, extending behind the storeroom. It is empty, but there are, indeed, cargo doors in the opposite wall. Without a map or taking measurements, it's not absolutely positive, but it seems like those doors lead to the outside of the ship.

Back across the hall, that door leads to rooms that mirror the ones Kraig is in. Both of these cargo bays are empty.

Unless the ship has some other cargo bay, it now seems obvious that this ship wasn't designed as a cargo ship... or, if it was, it was just intended for incidental cargo. The rooms aren't really large enough or high enough for much big cargo.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 478 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sun 4 Feb 2018
at 17:20
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
"It looks like another larger cargo bay.  It could be that the smaller bay has extra space for an airlock."  Kraig called out.
Rickie Rhinorack
 player, 33 posts
 Medical Pilot
Sun 4 Feb 2018
at 18:37
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Rickie, in response to Gahler's question, begins to move alongside the crate, running his hands alongside it and trying to detect anything that may resemble writing.

"I'm looking for inscriptions on the crate now. I'll tell you if I find any writing," Rickie yelled out to Gahler.
StarMaster
 GM, 476 posts
 Referee
Sun 4 Feb 2018
at 20:08
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
There is writing on the crate--along the upper edge on all four sides. It all looks the same. There is also a directional arrow pointing upward on each side.

The crate is a cube about 2 meters on a side. No reinforcing at the corners is visible; if there is any, it's internal. As near as Rickie can tell, it's some sort of trade code, with probably a shipment number or a routing number or something similar.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 299 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Sun 4 Feb 2018
at 21:40
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Gahler adds some details of the finds so far in his personal comp, Continues to scan the area with his vid feed.
"Ok time to move on. Only way is forward or up down a level I suspect."
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 52 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Sun 4 Feb 2018
at 23:41
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Bomar speaks up: "We have air tight doors in the central corridor to the fore and aft.  I would guess the aft door goes into engineering which is missing.  I agree we should try the forward door."  Bomar heads back into the central corridor, heading forward.   He will assist in opening the forward air tight door.



OOC: I believe this is what we know.

 +---------------+-A-+---------------+
  !                      !      !                      !
  !         chem    D      !   em              !
  !             lab     !      D   wrkshp       !
  !                      !      !                      !
  !                      !      !                      !
  +---+-D-+D-D+      +D-D+-D-+---+
  A     A                                     A     A
  +---+-D-+D-D+      +D-D+-D-+---+
  !         !            !        !         !          !
  !         !            D     D          !          !
  !         !   Store !      ! Store  !          !
  !         !            !      !           !          !
 +  car  +-------+     +-------+   car +
  c         !            !     !            !         c
  c         c     Car D     D Car    !         c
  c         c           !      !           !         c
  !         !            !      !           !         !
 +---------------+-A-+---------------+

This message was last edited by the player at 23:58, Sun 04 Feb 2018.

Kraig Pars
 Player, 480 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Mon 5 Feb 2018
at 03:41
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Kraig nods and heads forward as well.
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 53 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Tue 13 Feb 2018
at 00:29
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
After opening the forward air tight/airlock doors, Bomar looks forward to see what se have up here.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 300 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Tue 13 Feb 2018
at 00:54
Re: Dust Runner Bridge
Gahler moves forward, ready to assist in opening doors.
StarMaster
 GM, 478 posts
 Referee
Tue 13 Feb 2018
at 04:07
On the Alien Ship
The internal airlock looked and operated just like the external ones, with the controls lower to the deck than one would expect since the aliens of this ship were of shorter stature. The manual control was also easy to operate.

Swinging the airlock away from him, Hans sees another long corridor, obviously not inconsistent with the size of the ship. Four doors are visible along each side of the corridor, and there appears to be an opening at the end.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 481 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Wed 14 Feb 2018
at 01:24
On the Alien Ship
Kraig will move forward and examine the first door on the left.
StarMaster
 GM, 479 posts
 Referee
Sat 17 Feb 2018
at 20:51
On the Alien Ship
There do not appear to be any locking mechanism on these doors, so they are easy enough to open. Kraig opens the door and finds a room more or less packed with electronics. It's a fairly large room for that purpose, but there's little to no room to actually enter the space.

Most of the electronics seem to be designed for some type of scanning, but there are several components whose function aren't obvious.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 482 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sun 18 Feb 2018
at 07:51
On the Alien Ship
Kraig waved the others forward. "It looks like some kind of sensor station way beyond my experience."
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 54 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Sun 18 Feb 2018
at 14:15
On the Alien Ship
Hans takes detailed scans of the room, especially the unfamiliar elements.  "Agreed.  It will take some detail work to determine the actual capabilities of this equipment.  Lets check the next door."

Hans moves to the next door in the central corridor and opens it.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 483 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Tue 20 Feb 2018
at 01:02
On the Alien Ship
Kraig moves on and follows Hans down the corridor.
StarMaster
 GM, 480 posts
 Referee
Mon 26 Feb 2018
at 20:17
On the Alien Ship
The next door on the opposite side of the corridor opens to show another room that looks a lot like the last one--full of electronics. Not storage, but some kind of set-up. It has the appearance of a navigation system, possibly with communications thrown in.

The next door on the left side looks like the first one, but it's quickly clear that it isn't exact. There are a number of devices that almost look familiar, but seem to have an odd twist to them. The overall impression is still one of scanning equipment.

The fourth door is similar to the second door--some kind of navcom set-up.

The next two doors on the left house more familiar equipment: sensors in the first, computers in the second.

The last two doors on the right are also familiar--communications and weapon control.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 484 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sat 3 Mar 2018
at 23:37
On the Alien Ship
Kraig takes an inventory of what they'd found.  "It looks like we've found the heart of the controls except for maybe the bridge.  They were certainly set up heavily with scanning and navigational equipment.  I'd guess they were certainly a scout mission."
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 55 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Sat 3 Mar 2018
at 23:44
On the Alien Ship
Hans scans everything, but pays particular attention to the computers, their input and output systems and power systems.  "Yes this looks like the heart of the ship.  My guess is that the bridge is on the upper level, probably with living quarters.  Shall we continue?"

Hans heads out and continues forward to check out the next section.
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 56 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Mon 12 Mar 2018
at 22:43
On the Alien Ship
As Hans heads forward he wonders what he will find up ahead.  Once the initial survey of the ship is complete, he needs to focus on the ship's computers and see if he can get them up and running.  Could be lot's of interesting information in them.
StarMaster
 GM, 481 posts
 Referee
Mon 12 Mar 2018
at 23:32
On the Alien Ship
The forward section appears to be a single large room entered from the hallway but without an airlock, just an iris-type door. This room had some furniture in it, as well as some equipment that looked like... workout equipment.

There were a few tables with a chair or two at them, and at least one of them looked like a video game table where two people could play at the same time.

Along the forward wall was a counter/shelf and apparatus that looked like it was a refreshment station.

You notice that there's a clear spot just to the right of the door, and there's some kind of floor plate in that area that is different than the rest of the deck. There's a similar plate on the ceiling above it.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 485 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Tue 13 Mar 2018
at 03:18
On the Alien Ship
Kraig moved on through and looked around the room.  He pointed to the clear spot on the deck. "I'd say if we can get that working Hans then we've found our way to the next deck."
Arc Tangent
 Player, 52 posts
Tue 13 Mar 2018
at 17:36
On the Alien Ship
"So you think that's the elevator?" Arc asks Kraig. "How do you know it isn't a sonic shower or something like that?"

"Anyway, if you are right, how do we activate it? There's got to be more to it than just standing on it. Wait! What if it's a transporter?"

"Or maybe just stairs that come up out of the floor. That's more reasonable."

Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 57 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Wed 14 Mar 2018
at 00:52
On the Alien Ship
"It was my first thought as well that these are some form of access to the upper deck.  It looks like it will take power to operate whatever this is.  However it does not make sense to make access between decks be inaccessible if the ship loses power, so there should be some form of either emergency access or a way to operate this with out power.  Let's take a closer look."

Hans will take a closer look at the floor, ceiling and area around for any clue on how to operate the 'elevator' or open access to the upper deck.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 486 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Fri 16 Mar 2018
at 05:41
On the Alien Ship
Kraig looked around and answered the question.  "With the two circles one above another I'd say that there was some linkage from one deck to another."
Arc Tangent
 Player, 53 posts
Fri 16 Mar 2018
at 19:54
On the Alien Ship
"I was just being facetious!" Arc explained. "Of course it's an elevator... or whatever their equivalent is."

"It's completely consistent with the other design elements... at least in this room. Components aren't hidden within the walls, but stick out on the outside. But not in the hallways where people have to go. So this rec room is designed that way. It follows, then, that the elevator would also be designed that way."


He, too, looks around for some way to operate the elevator.
StarMaster
 GM, 482 posts
 Referee
Fri 16 Mar 2018
at 20:07
On the Alien Ship
It would logically follow that the control for the lift would be on the wall nearby, but search as you will, there is nothing that looks like any kind of control.

On the other hand, it could just be a touch-sensitive area of the wall, perhaps even the whole wall itself. It's hard to say what would be a logical design element for these aliens. The overall design of the ship almost seems incongruous. One would almost expect the ubiquitous 'flying saucer' design.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 487 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Fri 16 Mar 2018
at 23:08
On the Alien Ship
Kraig shrugged and stood in the cleared area.
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 58 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Fri 16 Mar 2018
at 23:56
On the Alien Ship
Hans ponders; "Hmm.  This species doesn't seem to rely on touch to the extent that we do.  It may be operated via voice or some other sense.  There still should be some form of emergency access to allow access to the upper deck."

While the others continue to search, Hans stands at the side of the lower panel and ponders, where would I be, if I was the emergency access?
StarMaster
 GM, 483 posts
 Referee
Wed 21 Mar 2018
at 20:55
On the Alien Ship
Further examination of the wall and floor near the lift doesn't reveal anything that could be interpreted as a button or switch. That doesn't preclude something in the wall that isn't showing. There are any number of capacitance systems or magnetic switches that don't have to be visible to work.

Hans may have stumbled on to something, however.
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 59 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Thu 22 Mar 2018
at 01:06
On the Alien Ship
OOC: And now for the reveal I had hoped to hold off on, maybe forever, but life intrudes.


Hans looks the 'elevator' over, glances at his scanner screen, then slumps a little against one of the nearby tables.  He remains in thought for a short while and then seems to come to a decision.

"Sigh.  Well from what I can gather, this elevator is a standalone device and not connected to ship's power.  Each use triggers a recharge of the local battery and the battery is still charged and ready to use.  The issue is that the species that built this ship seems to be a psychically awake and active race and the interface to operate the elevator is psionic.  My personal reluctance is in how I know this.  The Darian Confederacy has a much more pro-psionics culture than Imperial Society.  I find that most Imperials don't know this about Darians.  They are focused on how 'technologically advanced' Darians are.  I believe this is actually propaganda spread by the Imperium to it's subjects to mask that it's Confederacy allies have a society that is pro-psionics when it pushes an internal and especially anti-Zhodani, anti-psionics position.  I am half Darrian on my mother's side and Dad was an Imperial diplomat stationed in the Confederacy.  I was raised in the Confederacy and it is normal there to be tested and trained in psionic disciplines from an early age.  So I am psionically aware and when I came close to the elevator the control mechanism intruded on my mind.  From some of the lack of more obvious control mechanisms on the previous things we have seen, I suspect they may have had similar interfaces but with the lose of ship's power, the interfaces are inactive.  I don't know most of you well, but none of you have exhibited the rabid anti-psionic attitude some Imperials have.  I have worked for the Imperial Government and they are aware of my capabilities, but because of the attitude the general population may have, I ask that you don't spread this information, but keep it to yourself.  I can activate the elevator when we want to use it, but unless one of you is psionically active, you will not be able to activate it.  Through it's psychic interfaces, I should be able to get a lot of information on the ship and it's capabilities.  Especially if we can power up the ship."

"I would like to continue the overview of the ship and then if it seems safe, do a psychic deep dive on the ship and the computers before we try and power it up.  I think we may be able to connect my ship to this ship and power up some of the onboard systems.  Ideally, I would like to dock my ship into this one via the missing area to the aft and then seal that in so the ship holds atmosphere.  The ice from the comet should be usable to generate atmosphere to fill the ship and with only a couple of us on the alien ship, my ship should be able to maintain the atmosphere of both ships.  Ideally we could attach my ship well enough to be able to fly the alien off the comet and dock with the Dust Runner for Jump transport to somewhere we can sell it.  I don't think it would be feasible to operate this ship.  It would need extensive repairs and with it's psionic nature that would most likely need to be done outside the Imperium, probably at Darius.  The tech level of this ship would also make it harder to repair or retrofit.  But the most problematic issue is the hull.  It's composition would standout anywhere it went and would get it confiscated by most governments.  I think the best approach is to learn as much as we can, which we may be able to sell.  Then sell the ship.  There is a Scout Service base in system that we could almost certainly sell the ship to.  It would be quicker and easier, but with the limited economy of the system it would probably fetch a lower price.  I think it might fetch a better price at Regina.  Regina is the major governmental and corporate world in this area of the Imperium and we might be able to get a bidding war between the Imperials, corporations and individuals.  Personally, I would rather not annoy the Imperium.  I find it better to be on the government's side so would vote to direct offer it to the Imperium at Regina.  Although the presence of the other possible clients in the system may give us some leverage in getting a better price.  I think the Dust Runner can Jump the combined tonnage of the ships but will be limited to less than a parasec.  Even with the fuel tonnage she has to make a double Jump, we can't travel directly to Regina from here.  But we can go via Dinom and Jenghe.  It will take 2 weeks to travel to each system, then a week to refuel, although we can avoid the in system ports and refuel from the Gas Giants in each or leave me and the alien ship in the out system while the Dust Runner stops at the local port, if we need supplies.  It would take about 9 weeks to travel to Regina this way.  The longer we have the ship, the more likely some form of problem occurs."

"Since my capabilities are now out there, one other piece of information.  I know while many Imperials are very anti-psionics and look at it like an aberration, actually most human sub-species, including the Vilani and Solomani have just as much psychic potential as Darians or Zhodani.  But it is like most skills, it tends to peak around late teens, early 20's, and if not trained and used it atrophies away fairly quickly.  Darians and Zhodani don't have more psychic potential, they just test for it young and train those that have it to maximize their capability.  Like physical strength, there is a different maximum for each individual and the later training is started, the lower the maximum an individual can reach.  I am trained as a master and can test for psychic potential and if it was strong enough to begin with and hasn't atrophied to far, I can awaken and train individuals.  Note that the older an individual is, the more likely his psionic potential has atrophied to where he can not be awaken.  If there are any of you that would like to be tested, I can offer that service and training if you can be awakened."

"I know this is a lot to take in, but as it has become a factor in how we proceed and it affects what we may do in the future, I feel you have a right to know and to chime in on what we do now and next.  Hopefully that isn't an attack on myself."


Says the man in TL 15 fully tricked out, grav-enhanced, powered plate vacc suit.  It isn't technically combat armor, especially without the built in weapon systems, (although Hans is carrying a holstered, tricked out, Gauss pistol) but it would out perform many lower tech combat armors.

OOC: Ignore the mention/offer for psionic testing and training if the GM vetos the idea.  If it is allowed and we get the time to do training, the standard roll for psionic strength is 2d6 - number of full terms served + any modifiers (positive or negative) for the campaign, which the GM would have to assign if he wants something other than standard 0.  Anything above 0 can be awakened and trained.
Arc Tangent
 Player, 54 posts
Thu 22 Mar 2018
at 02:57
On the Alien Ship
"While I can only speak for myself," Arc says, "I think I've suspected you might be psionic, Hans. There's nothing I can put my finger on that says that... I'd have to say it's kind of a way you carry yourself... or act... or both."

"It may also be because we've had others aboard the Dust Runner who were psionic. Lars is psionic. We've known that most of the time he's been aboard. He's always led us to believe that it was merely another asset he had."

"Plus, we had a couple aboard for awhile. He was Zhodani, so, yeah, he was psionic, too. We never got to know his girlfriend very well, so she might have been, too. We always assumed she was."

"Anyway... we aren't ones to pry, and it was your... secret... to keep or reveal."

"Not sure I'm ready for a whole shipload of psychs, though!"

Kraig Pars
 Player, 488 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Fri 23 Mar 2018
at 21:45
On the Alien Ship
Kraig listened carefully to Hans as he spoke of the ship, his own powers and possible plans for the ship.  He looked around at the other members of the crew and then back at Hans for a moment.  Then Kraig shrugged and smiled.  "I've never been one for much of the politics or anti-psi feeling.  When one works the space lanes to buy and sell where ever the trade takes you one learns to live and let live.  I'm not bothered by your psionic ability Hans as long as you respect the privacy of those of us around you.  I'm sure that won't be a problem; you seem a decent sort."

He considered the plans laid out by Hans.  "I'd expect that the Imperium would be very, very unhappy with us if we took this find to anyone but them.  Heading to the subsector capital directly is probably the best bet.  The only problem might be if the system is under interdict or worse by the Zho.  The war is still raging and I'd expect that hitting Regina hard is high on the list of plans by the Zho."  Kraig took a deep breath. "As for psionic skills, if you want to test me I'd not object.  I'd expect based on the feedback from former girlfriends that I have negative psionic ability..."
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 60 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Fri 23 Mar 2018
at 23:58
On the Alien Ship
Hans smiles: "Why thank you.  I normally respect people's privacy.  There are several reasons, least of which is the ethics I was taught on Darius.  More importantly, it's a survival trait.  I don't want to accidentally learn something that I normally couldn't and then reveal it, which might get a witch hunt started.  Also, probably the most important reason is that it's incredibly annoying and boring.  You all radiate some level of surface thoughts, and if I am unshielded, it's like listening to all of you mumbling along everything your thinking.  Think how annoying it would be if you all had to listen to all the rest of us mumbling all the time.  I can probe minds and learn deeper memories and knowledge, but it's all there, when you got up this morning, the debate on what to wear, should you shower, the memory of the shower, relieving yourself, if you wiped, if you washed your hands afterwards, everything.  Think how boring most of our lives are and why would I want to know that about you?  So unless there is a really good reason to be unshielded or to probe someone, I normally am shielded and can't hear any of your thoughts."
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 61 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Thu 29 Mar 2018
at 01:53
On the Alien Ship
Hans moves over to the panel in the floor and waves people on to it.  "Step over here and I will activate the elevator.  We can then check out the upper deck."

Once everyone is gathered on the elevator, Hans will activate the elevator.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 489 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Fri 30 Mar 2018
at 03:05
On the Alien Ship
Kraig nodded, satisfied.  "Well, I'm satisfied for now Hans.  Certainly your secret is safe with me."  He steps over onto the elevator.
StarMaster
 GM, 484 posts
 Referee
Sun 1 Apr 2018
at 18:15
On the Alien Ship
The lift platform is just under 1.5 meters square, so everyone can't get on it at once. It'll take two activations to get everyone up to the next level.

Once Hans activates it, the plate rises off the floor. As it approaches the ceiling, a section of the ceiling slides aside, the plate rises above it, and the floor slides back into place.

Those now on the upper level find themselves in a large square airlock. There are two airlock doors--one leading aft, one leading forward. Both are closed.
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 62 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Sun 1 Apr 2018
at 20:30
On the Alien Ship
To whoever rode up with Hans the first trip: "From the outside, it looked like there was a bridge and pilot couch at the forward end of the upper deck.  So I would think the forward door would lead to it.  Why don't you work on it while I run the elevator down and bring up the rest of the gang."

After everyone else is off  the elevator, Hans thinks 'down' at the elevator.  He will ride it down, wave the rest of the crew onto the elevator and then think 'up' to bring it back up to the first half of the party.
Arc Tangent
 Player, 55 posts
Mon 2 Apr 2018
at 21:41
On the Alien Ship
Arc decided not to be on the first trip, not because he was worried about getting injured by something unexpected, but because he was the medic, and medics aren't front line combatants. If there was some problem, who would take care of the injured?

As far as they now knew, the lower level was safe, so even if Hans never returned, he and the others could get out.

Fortunately, he didn't have to wait long for Hans to bring the elevator back down.
StarMaster
 GM, 485 posts
 Referee
Mon 2 Apr 2018
at 22:12
On the Alien Ship
Those who went up first with Hans would have been Rickie, Kraig, and IM.

Second trip would have been Gahler and Arc.


Since nothing untoward happened, everyone is up on the upper deck now. It doesn't take much to open the forward airlock door. It makes sense that the room you are in is an airlock, since someone on the bridge could put on a vacc/suit and then enter the airlock and equalize the pressure without affecting everyone on the bridge.

While it's possible that the ship could be put on some sort of lockdown status, that doesn't seem to have happened. So the door opens relatively easily.

As expected, this is the bridge. There are 5 large elaborate acceleration chairs strung out left to right. The center one is more forward, which might have as much to do with the shape of the 'cockpit' as it might with the status of the person that would sit there. The two on the ends are set back a little bit, pretty much for the same reason as the center chair.

You find the three center-most chairs have alien bodies in them that look like they've been squashed.
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 63 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Mon 2 Apr 2018
at 23:54
On the Alien Ship
Hans scans and records everything, with especially detailed scans of the alien bodies.  He will try to determine in what direction the force that squashed them came from.  He will also try to make a guess at what they looked like before being squashed and then exposed to vacuum for an unknown amount of time.

Waving Rikie over, Hans shows him his guess at a reconstruction of the aliens.  "This look anything like the aliens you mentioned dealing with previously?"

After dealing with the bodies, Hans examines the controls in detail, although he expects a lack of obvious controls, but there should be readouts and such.  He will probe mentally when near the acceleration chairs to see if there is any form of active ship interface.
Arc Tangent
 Player, 56 posts
Tue 3 Apr 2018
at 00:46
On the Alien Ship
"I don't think they've been squashed," Arc said as he walked over to the center chair and ran his medical scanner over the remains.

"It's a good thing we're in vacc/suits or else this room would stink... well, probably. I have no idea what these creatures would smell like when they decay, but as long as they are organic, I'm sure it can't be pleasant."

"They aren't squashed... at least, I don't think they are. Something killed them... radiation is my guess. Then, with the power out, they just started to decompose. Without air circulation, it was probably a lot like mummification."

Ignatius Maor
 Player, 167 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Mon 9 Apr 2018
at 01:18
On the Alien Ship
IM wanders around the bridge focused on his handheld comp giving the device a chance compare the scanned information with its Scout database. He notes "So far it looks like a major system failure." With a shrug he holds out his left hand palm up to emphasise the spacesuit concealed shrug. "As to what caused it..."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 490 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Mon 9 Apr 2018
at 04:58
On the Alien Ship
Kraig followed the others into the room that turned out to be the bridge.  He looked around as well focusing particularly on the controls.  "Hans, do we need psionics to operate the ship controls as well?"
StarMaster
 GM, 486 posts
 Referee
Mon 9 Apr 2018
at 19:00
On the Alien Ship
Hans has no indication that any of the controls would require psionics to operate. The theory with the lift is that it would still work even if the ship lost power. That was to compensate for the lack of any stairs, ladders, ramps, drop tubes, or whatever.


The cause for the massive system failure was the (probably) instantaneous loss of the power plant and drive system. That's the real mystery--what caused it to... vanish.
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 64 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Mon 9 Apr 2018
at 22:42
On the Alien Ship
Hans frowns: "No I find no indication of a psionic interface.  It seems to be completely 'normal' although geared to an alien mindset and more advanced technology.  Which is strange.  The elevator would indicate a psionic capable race, so I would have expected psionic control interfaces.  'Normal' interfaces for backup I could see, but the 'normal' interfaces are all I can find.  Once again this will need more investigation."

Hans waves at the dead alien.  "While Arc may be right, my guess would go with squashed.  With the loss of power would have come the loss of air circulation and the loss of heat.  The temperature in here would have dropped fast enough that not much if any decomposition would have set in and the bodies would have frozen into the positions we see.  Once again it will need more investigation.  The one thing this does tell us is that the loss of power was extremely fast and these aliens did not have time to put on vacc suits.  Let's look over the rest of the ship and see what else we can find.  So far these 2 aliens are all we have found.  Some might have been lost in the catastrophe, but with no one in the labs, the rec room, etc on the lower deck, and less than a full bridge crew, I suspect that the catastrophe may have happened in the middle of the night.  I am expecting to find crew quarters to the rear of the elevator and more alien bodies caught in their quarters.  Let's see what we really find."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 492 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Tue 10 Apr 2018
at 03:31
On the Alien Ship
Kraig nodded at the explanations.  He wasn't the scientist type so he had few opinions.  "Let's definitely finish exploring the ship as we should have at least a week here before anyone shows up."
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 65 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Sat 14 Apr 2018
at 22:40
On the Alien Ship
Hans heads back into the airlock and then through the aft door to see what's beyond.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 493 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sun 15 Apr 2018
at 02:49
On the Alien Ship
Kraig follows...

This message was last edited by the player at 02:49, Sun 15 Apr 2018.

StarMaster
 GM, 487 posts
 Referee
Mon 16 Apr 2018
at 15:46
On the Alien Ship
There are two other doors on the bridge, one to the left of the one you came through, and one to the right. The left one leads to another control room which looks like sensor operations. The right one leads to what appears to be a medical bay.

Heading back out through the bridge airlock, the door to the rear opens easily enough, and you have another long corridor. Six doors line each side, and you find that these are all quarters, though only four of them have bodies in them.

Past the living quarters are external airlocks, similar to the ones you entered the ship through. On the other side of the airlocks are larger quarters. It's hard to say if they are more opulent or fancier or whatever because they are alien, but one is probably the captain's quarters, and the other the first officer, or whatever the aliens think they are.

After that there is an airlock in the corridor, like on the lower deck.

Going through that, you find two doors on the left, a cross corridor and a third door before the airlock into upper engineering. The right side mirrors the left.

Left-hand doors lead to a hydroponics lab, an astrogation lab, and probably a bio-physical research lab.

Right-hand doors lead to... a lab of unknown function, a... shrine (?), and then another research station.

Down the cross corridors lead to an engineering compartment that seems to be some kind of shield generators. Off of those is a door to another engineering compartment, but the function of the equipment here is unknown. This equipment is along the outer wall. To the rear of the compartment, though, are the engines. While these are clearly alien in design, they appear to use standard gravitic and impulse principles.

At this point, the only section you haven't been in is the main engineering area at the rear center of the ship... the area where the hole is.
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 66 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Tue 17 Apr 2018
at 23:27
On the Alien Ship
Hans scans everything, but especially the shield generators.  Pointing at the shield generators: "Shield generators for a ship this small are unheard of.  They should bring a really good price."

Hans continues scanning and recording everything.
Ignatius Maor
 Player, 168 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Wed 18 Apr 2018
at 02:41
On the Alien Ship
IM is also recording and scanning as they move through the ship. He compares what he sees with the Scout data and other historical exploration information he has stored in his comp.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 494 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Thu 19 Apr 2018
at 02:18
On the Alien Ship
"Now that we've been through the entire thing what's the plan?  Do we try to tow the thing off?"
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 67 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Thu 19 Apr 2018
at 18:48
On the Alien Ship
Hans heads to the access to main Engineering.  "We still haven't investigated main engineering.  Admittedly there probably isn't very much left with the big hole in it.  But it may have some clues to what happened to the ship."

"As for a forward plan, how about this as a starting idea.  I spend some time using my machine symbiosis ability to check out the various pieces of equipment on the ship, starting with the computers.  If we can, I would like to run a power cable from my ship and actually power up the alien computers and dump their contents to our computers.  Between my abilities and the standard translation programs on our computers I would think we could translate the alien data and files and get a much better picture of them, the ship, the ships capabilities and the aliens tech.  I don't want to apply power to any part of the ship until I have psionically scanned as much as I can to avoid any mis-steps or booby traps.  I would like to get as much information and data on this find for our use or sale.  We can sell the ship either in pieces or as a whole, but can only do that once.  All the data we can gather can be sold multiple times."

"Will we are getting all the data we can in a reasonable time, we tow it off and jump it to somewhere we can sell it.  I would prefer to sell it to the Imperial Government, but would like to hear any other opinions.  The simplest/fastest, but probably a lower price, would be to take it back in system to the Scout Base and arraign selling it there.  I think we could get a better price if we take it to Regina.  It's hard to estimate, but I think the Dust Runner's engines likely can only do about 3/4's of a parasec with the combination of both ships.  So to get to Regina we would have to do a double jump to Dinom, refuel and repeat through Jenghe.  In Dinom and Jenghe, we could park the alien ship in the outer reaches of the system, with my runabout and someone to keep watch on it, and do a normal visit to the port to refuel, exchange cargo, etc.  I figure that will take 8 weeks to get to Regina.  Which also gives us more time to mine the ship for information."

"Thoughts, comments, objections?"

Ignatius Maor
 Player, 169 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Fri 20 Apr 2018
at 02:39
On the Alien Ship
IM notes "We need to be sure and triple the feedback and safety protocols.  We don't know how much damage the ships systems have sustained. Really don't really want to fry our ride."

OOC: Do we have a generator or portable power source in our stores?"
Kraig Pars
 Player, 495 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sat 21 Apr 2018
at 05:19
On the Alien Ship
Kraig considered Hans' plan.  While primarily a pilot he had enough engineering experience to follow the discussion.  "As long as we can keep sufficient control of the alien systems that we don't trip a defensive reaction or send out a call for help I think that grabbing all the data we can is a good idea.  Whoever sell the ship and data to may not take kindly to our keeping a major data download that is going to go to their enemies.  Especially with a war going on the authorities are going to grab first and pay far, far later.  We just need to be prepared to be treated a bit roughly and have ourselves searched to the skin.  If they find we're holding out they may lock us up and throw away the key."  He shrugged.  "I'd say we sell at Regina to the Imperials."
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 68 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Thu 26 Apr 2018
at 21:40
On the Alien Ship
Hans heads into what remains of main engineering and looks to see what is left and anything he can make out on why there is a large section missing.
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 69 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Sat 5 May 2018
at 15:55
On the Alien Ship
Hans heads into what is left of Main Engineering.  He checks for radiation, Dark Energy, Dark Matter, anything he can think of that might be 1.) harmful and 2.) might explain why there is a big chunk of the ship seemingly missing.  He photographs and records all readings, coping them back to the ships.

As he pokes about he is reflecting on the overall state of the ship.  Does it seem unworn, like it was just built, possibly a prototype before what ever happened took a chunk out of the ship, killed the crew and it ended up here?  Or is somewhat or alot worn like it had been a working ship for a long time before the 'Incident'?
Ignatius Maor
 Player, 170 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Sat 5 May 2018
at 16:18
On the Alien Ship
IM wanders the ship looking at the overall layout design. He figure the number of crew from the quarters that look occupied and the number of bodies wondering if by some wild chance there might have been survivors of the crash.
StarMaster
 GM, 488 posts
 Referee
Thu 10 May 2018
at 18:35
On the Alien Ship
Hans picks up traces of dark matter in the engineering section, which isn't unusual as there is dark matter all around us. What is unusual is that it seems to be far lower quantity than normal.

He does pick up strong dark energy readings, though... well on the high side of anything that remotely smacks of normal. He picked up the same thing outside the ship when he was examining the damaged section.

He cannot account for either of those readings, but is convinced that they are somehow connected.

Once again examining the edge of the missing material, he's aware of only two things that might have caused that... some sort of disintegration effect or a black globe. Neither, however, are satisfactory. The disintegration effect would be a ray or beam, and wouldn't get a spherical volume as neatly as what's here. The black globe would create a clean cut, but wouldn't disintegrate the material on the inside.

There is something that would account for it, though: an implosion. The only thing he can think of that would generate an implosion is super-high pressure... or a black hole.


If the team has been over all of the ship, then IM is pretty sure that they've accounted for all of the aliens. It's a fairly big ship, but it's not like a starliner or anything with lots of passengers and support crew. If he had to make a guess, the ship 'feels' like an exploration ship... maybe with some auxiliary war functions.
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 70 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Thu 10 May 2018
at 23:21
On the Alien Ship
To the others:  "None of the explanations I can come up with for what might have happened to the engineering section seem feasible.  A disintegration ray wouldn't create a spherical effect, like we have here.  A Black Globe would be spherical, and slice through material like we see, but would leave either the globe or when it turned off, the engineering section would still be sitting here.  An implosion might take a chunk, but should leave twisted and stressed metal, not this clean cut we see.  Let me check something."

Hans stares into where the center of the spherical area is and using his psionic Dimensional Manipulation abilities, probes for a portal or weakness in the fabric of space.  Perhaps the missing section went into an alternate space, like Jump space.  Which should leave some residue that he might be able to sense.
StarMaster
 GM, 489 posts
 Referee
Fri 11 May 2018
at 01:57
On the Alien Ship
The ship is crashed on the asteroid, so there's a good chance that the problem happened in another location. The spherical zone would have caused a section of the asteroid to have vanished, too. That didn't happen.

While Hans doesn't find any portal indicators here, he does pick up some traces of a hyper-dimension. In fact, there's a trail of it that leads back to one of the technical labs. It appears to be residue along the surfaces.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 496 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Fri 11 May 2018
at 03:07
On the Alien Ship
"A mini black hole collapse might make sense.  Perhaps they used the very focused gravity to manipulate the dark energy."
Ignatius Maor
 Player, 171 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Fri 11 May 2018
at 13:53
On the Alien Ship
Looks like these folks were trying to juggle plasma barehanded. Didn't go well. You can almost envision IM's head shaking over the comm.
Arc Tangent
 Player, 57 posts
Fri 11 May 2018
at 16:51
On the Alien Ship
Arc laughs at IM's comment as he tries to imagine one of these aliens juggling balls of plasma... then plasma duckpins... then a gooey slime-like plasma that runs through their hands.

"Plasma and black holes are way out of my wheelhouse," he says over the comms, "but that sounds about right, doesn't it? You'd need gravity to contain the black hole, wouldn't you? I don't know what kind of power the black hole itself would or could produce, assuming they had any way of converting it, but if they used it to control the dark energy, then the dark energy was their power source, right?"

"They somehow converted the dark energy into plasma and electricity. Probably some technology that we haven't figured out yet."

"But, if you are juggling that kind of power across three separate systems, then that's a recipe for disaster, if you ask me. Sooner or later, something is going to go wrong. Remember: Murphy was an optimist."

Roland Steen
 Player, 146 posts
Fri 11 May 2018
at 17:06
On the Alien Ship
Still back on the ship, Roland was monitoring the comms as the 'away team' explored the alien ship. He couldn't help wondering, though, what the word 'alien' meant any more. Were Vargr and Aslan still 'alien'? He could certainly see the argument for Droyne and Hivers being alien. Not sure about the K'kree. And what about the Zhodani? It did seem as if their mind tricks made them more alien than the Vargr. Don't judge a book by its cover.

"The mini-black hole Kraig mentioned," he adds to the conversation, "is known as a forced singularity. It's still, by definition, a black hole, but some of the properties are different. In this case, I'd say that the collapse of the containment field resulted in the implosion... well, it wasn't exactly implosion... it would have looked the same and had some of the same results, but rather than a single pile of compressed material, it was probably forced through the singularity and came out of a white hole somewhere else. Possibly even some-when else."
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 71 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Fri 11 May 2018
at 20:06
On the Alien Ship
Hans moves in an almost trance like state and seems to follow something back to one of the labs we examined earlier.  he shakes his head and seems more alert.  "Well, there doesn't seem to be a dimensional anomaly in the missing area as such but there is a residue trail that leads back here to this lab.  My first thought is that they may have done something in the lab that interacted with the equipment in engineering that caused it's disappearance.  I don't think whatever happened, happened here on the asteroid.  this ship just drifted here afterwards."

"I think the next step is for me to psychically probe the ships computers and see if I can figure out if I can read them without powering them up.  If not i would like to figure out how to isolate them from the ship, power them up and attach them to one of our computers with some language translation software to allow us to access them."

"Any thoughts, cautions, etc before we attempt that?"

Ignatius Maor
 Player, 172 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Sat 12 May 2018
at 03:36
On the Alien Ship
IM notes "If you need any assistance doctor I can help with computers."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 497 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Wed 16 May 2018
at 00:52
On the Alien Ship
Kraig shook his head.  "Keep things carefully segregated when you activate the computers.  We don't want to trigger some kind of defensive reaction or even an emergency signal that might bring their friends."
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 72 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Wed 16 May 2018
at 23:32
On the Alien Ship
Hans heads back to room where we found what looked like the ship's computers and using Machine Symbiosis and Ship Integration, he will psionically probe the computers, to determine anything he can but especially parameters of power the computers need, what, and how, other systems they are connected to and any self destruct or memory wipe protocol they may have.  The intent would be to disconnect the computers from anything else on the ship, then run a power and communication line from Hans' ship to allow powering up the computers standalone.
StarMaster
 GM, 490 posts
 Referee
Thu 17 May 2018
at 18:39
On the Alien Ship
The first thing that Hans learns is that the computer has no psionic interface, which makes his efforts a little harder. However, it has no anti-interrogation shielding or protocols.


The computer was made by Klrnza 75 years ago at Tlyrzn.

It is connected to six other computers on the ship, only one of which it has any significant data, and that is the navigation computer.

It's specific functions are to monitor the ship's systems and facilitate the interaction of the other computers. It's secondary function is life support--AC, temperature, gravity, lighting, water, food, waste.

The only hidden instructions it has is a self-destruct function.

It has no damage.

The batteries have no charge in them.

Normal power is 100 znl, which equates to about 10kwh at 5 volts.
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 73 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Sat 19 May 2018
at 01:22
On the Alien Ship
Hans tells the others what he has found and walks through with any that are interested, how to disconnect the computer from the other computers and the secondary systems.  He will document everything before, during and after he disconnects it.  If possible he disconnects things with minimal or no damage.

He then proceeds to probe each of the other 6 computers and do the same disconnections to them.
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 74 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Thu 31 May 2018
at 20:57
On the Alien Ship
Hans begins probing the other computers on the ship.  Presuming no surprises, he will disconnect them as well.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 498 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Fri 1 Jun 2018
at 03:53
On the Alien Ship
Kraig will ask; "Once the computers are disconnected can we hook up our own outside power to get life support and such going?"
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 75 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Sat 2 Jun 2018
at 01:28
On the Alien Ship
"I was thinking we could dock my ship to one of the side airlocks and run power cables from my ship to get local life support running.  With it attached, I should be able to lift it off this asteroid and dock with the Dust Runner, so we can Jump out of here.  It will take a double jump to go 1 parasec, so we will have to go the long way around to get to Regina, but both Dinom and Jenghe have gas giants if we want to avoid the system starports.  With 2 jumps and refueling, it will take about 8 weeks to get to Regina.  That will give us plenty of time to copy the contents of the computers and look the rest of the ship over closer."  Hans ponders.

"Once we get the computers disconnected, then we can dock and hook power up to the life support.  We will need to make a few alterations to this computer to let it do it's job of running life support, like remove that self destruct code and talk to us through our computers with the translator program."

Hans will proceed with probing and disconnecting the other 6 computers.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 499 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sat 2 Jun 2018
at 04:58
On the Alien Ship
Kraig considered the options.  "Well, I could get started with getting the ships hooked up while you finish up here."
Ignatius Maor
 Player, 173 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Sat 2 Jun 2018
at 22:23
On the Alien Ship
IM asks "I can either help Dr. Bomar with the computer or return to the ship to monitor the sensors. We've been here for a while. Wouldn't hurt to check the space around here."
Arc Tangent
 Player, 58 posts
Wed 6 Jun 2018
at 00:32
On the Alien Ship
Arc listened to the plans and realized that there wasn't much he could do to help, unless it was just to step-and-fetch something.

"We've got enough people on the Dust Runner to monitor the sensors," he offered, "so, I.M., you should probably help Dr. Bomar."

"Rickie, Gahler and I can gather up all the alien bodies and put them on ice. We can decide later if we want to deep space them or turn them over to the authorities."

"My concern about that latter is that if these aliens turn out to be some threat that they already know about, we might just disappear so we can't tell anyone what we know."

Rickie Rhinorack
 player, 34 posts
 Medical Pilot
Wed 6 Jun 2018
at 22:21
On the Alien Ship
"Roger that." Rickie said. "I'll see if I can move them two at a time."

"Turning them over to the authorities might garner a response such as that. But aren't there more options for these bodies? Like experimentation, trading, or simply keeping them? They'd look pretty good as a souvenir on my vessel." He speculated, holding an alien's body at arm's length and examining it.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:22, Wed 06 June 2018.

Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 76 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Wed 6 Jun 2018
at 22:46
On the Alien Ship
While the others are moving bodies, Hans finishes disconnecting the other computers.  He then moves his ship over and docks with this one.

With help from the others, he will rig power cables from his ship to the life support and the 7 computers.  He will disconnect a computer from the computer array on his ship, making sure it is loaded with a translator program.  He then hooks it up to the life support computer on the alien ship and powers up the computer while using his machine interface power to prevent the alien computer from activating it's self destruct.  He will use his powers to bridge between the 2 computers and get the translator program to learn to translate to the alien computer.

Once we can talk and control the alien computer, he will hook it back up to only life support and then power up life support.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 500 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sat 9 Jun 2018
at 22:04
On the Alien Ship
Kraig spoke up.  "Even though the low berths on the Dust Runner aren't set for aliens of this type they should at least preserve them for the time being." 

He turned and worked with Hans to pull power cables from the Dust Runner to the alien computers and life support.  "It's a good thing that we've got a decent set of emergency equipment and damage control capability on the Dust Runner.  We'll just have to be really careful that we don't fry the alien systems with the wrong voltage or current.  Can you tell what the aliens were using Hans?"
StarMaster
 GM, 491 posts
 Referee
Sun 10 Jun 2018
at 22:11
On the Alien Ship
Hans has no problem running power to the life support systems, and hooking up an external computer to translate the language. In the case of power, it's easy enough to start out with a low voltage/amperage and then slowly increase it till you get the response you need. Almost as Hans expected, the aliens used something comparable to what most humanoids did. After all, there was a reason for it. Certain power levels were lethal to organic beings.

The translation is harder because there are no comparable words for certain concepts and devices. Like... "the frabzak must be calibrated to within 3 microns of zorlik using the ozmonovitoj." Eventually, you'll be able to break down each word into its component meanings and come up with a suitable 'replacement'.

The bodies are all moved into the Dust Runner's coldsleep chambers.
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 78 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Mon 11 Jun 2018
at 00:22
On the Alien Ship
"I should be able to get close, and some experimentation should get us the rest of the way."

Every once in a while people will notice Hans seems to hit a wall in understanding what he's trying to do. He then takes a short time off in an area where he can take his suit helmet off.  When he comes back his level of understanding is much better.  But then he might seem to lack understanding of something he seemed to understand previously and the cycle repeats.

Once life support is working and we can access the alien computers, he will copy their contents out to standalone data storage devices.  Then he starts looking for a Ships log, Captains, engineers, scientists, personal logs, to see if he can patch together where the ship is from, what it was doing and what happened to it.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 501 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Fri 15 Jun 2018
at 21:56
On the Alien Ship
Once the power was set up Kraig moved to help the others shift the alien corpses into the cold sleep berths.
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 79 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Fri 22 Jun 2018
at 19:03
On the Alien Ship
Hans will run a comparison of the alien's navigation database against an Imperial navigation database to align them and trace back to the ship's point of origin.  He will compare recorded star positions in the alien database with present star positions to get a ballpark figure of how old the ship is.

He overlaps that with the timeline and nav path he is building from the various logs on the computers.
Rickie Rhinorack
 player, 35 posts
 Medical Pilot
Sun 24 Jun 2018
at 17:53
On the Alien Ship
Rickie assisted the storing of the corpses into the cold sleep berths and will proceed to seal them.
StarMaster
 GM, 494 posts
 Referee
Sun 24 Jun 2018
at 19:56
On the Alien Ship
It seemed like a good idea to use the data to trace the ship's course backwards, but it turns out that the aliens use a different navigation system. Even their math (apparently) is alien. It kind of goes against one of the fundamentals of intelligence, that math is universal. On the other hand, it might be possible that the aliens are so paranoid that they created some sort of artificial system to hide their home world.


You find enough data to tell that the ship is 1,000 years old (or thereabouts), but it's probably been on the asteroid for around 200 years. The ship was apparently lost. When they made the last transition--they don't use jump drive, a problem occurred with the power plant. The transition was off, and once they came out of transition, the power plant... imploded. It wasn't quite a normal implosion, but the entire area became super-compressed. It had something to do with strange matter.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:23, Mon 25 June 2018.

Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 80 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Tue 26 Jun 2018
at 00:36
On the Alien Ship
Hans will run a cross check of how the alien computers handle math.  If it doesn't match normal math, he will build up a set of rules to how the aliens achieve the standard set of math functions.

He will search their databases looking for data on how their drive, engineering and power systems work and their basic principles.  One thing he will concentrate on is the aliens shield technology and weapons.  He especially is looking for schematics and wants to cross reference them with the actual items on the ship.




Since the alien ship is larger in tonnage than the Dust Runner, towing it through Jump would give a jump distance of under 1 parasec.  It will take 2 jumps to get to Dinom, the same for Jenghe and finally to Regina.  So that will be 2 weeks to Dinom, with refueling it will be 5 weeks to Jenghe and 8 weeks to Regina.  Does the Dust Runner have enough supplies to do the 8 week run to Regina with refueling via gas giants?  Or will we have to stop for supplies?
Rickie Rhinorack
 player, 37 posts
 Medical Pilot
Fri 29 Jun 2018
at 18:33
On the Alien Ship
Rickie is still in the area of the cold sleep berths. He will wait for everyone to come through, give them a brief medical checkup (could have chance of finding something here by dice roll) and make physical observations of the alien's bodies in the berths, which will be noted.
Ignatius Maor
 Player, 174 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Sat 30 Jun 2018
at 01:07
On the Alien Ship
IM makes himself useful helping set up the computers and move the bodies.

After all that has be done he will return to the Dust Runner's bridge and spend some time scanning the surrounding space for any signs the are being watched or another ship has jumped in.


20:06, Today: Ignatius Maor rolled 7 using 2d6+3 with rolls of 3,1.  Sensors.
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 81 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Mon 2 Jul 2018
at 22:54
On the Alien Ship
Hans takes a break from analyzing the data from the computers and heads outside to firm up tie down points and hook up tow cables to the alien ship and the Dust Runner so we can tow the ship off the asteroid.  Once it is clear he queries the others:  "It seems like opinion is running towards taking the ship to Regina to sell.  Anybody against taking the ship to Regina to sell?"
Steve Cable
 NPC in Memoriam, 361 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Sat 7 Jul 2018
at 04:38
On the Alien Ship
"Nope. Sounds like a good idea to me," Steve says over the comm net.

"That's a few weeks away, though, so maybe we'll find something in the ship that will change our minds. If we sell it to the government... if we're allowed to sell it to the government, it'll probably get shipped directly to Earth."

"Base on all those compartments filled with doohickeys and stuff, there's probably something good in there. If it's super-good, we might need to be concerned about how it will change the universe as we know it."

Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 301 posts
 Merchant
 797997
Sat 7 Jul 2018
at 04:47
On the Alien Ship
"I, too, concur with that assessment and course of action," Gahler adds, "but I also agree with Steve. I'm uncomfortable with giving up secrets that we don't yet know what they are."
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 82 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Sat 7 Jul 2018
at 13:44
On the Alien Ship
"It will take 8 weeks to get to Regina.  The real decision point will be at 7 weeks before we jump to Regina.  At that point we will be in deep space between the stars.  If by then we have discovered something that would say to not sell it, we can leave it floating in space with only us knowing where it is.  7 weeks will give us plenty of time to investigate things on the ship.  If we can't find anything by then, it will take intensive investigation over years to find anything more.

So let's get this journey underway."

Hans will double check the cables and tie downs and then signal for the Dust Runner to tow the alien off the asteroid and into Jump.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 502 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sun 8 Jul 2018
at 21:24
On the Alien Ship
Kraig nodded in agreement.  "I think that going to Regina and selling to the Imperial government is our only real option.  We'd probably have it seized from us otherwise.  We should use the 8 week travel time to continue studying the various artifacts."
Arc Tangent
 Player, 59 posts
Wed 11 Jul 2018
at 21:59
On the Alien Ship
"I guess it depends on how paranoid we are," Arc comments.

"By the way, did we determine that it has a lanthanum grid on it? Cause, while I'm not an expert on space engineering, the jump field has to surround both ships, doesn't it? I don't think that'll happen if we tow it."

"We've got to piggy-back it. Even then, can Roland extend the field that far? Does the Dust Runner even have that kind of cargo capacity?"

"As for what we find... dark energy... drive or power? Or both? If we sell it to a corporation... the right corporation, of course... I'm sure they'll know how to keep it away from the government. If there's something that will benefit everyone, the government will hide it and bury it for 100 years. A corporation may make money from it, but at least it'll benefit everyone."

Ignatius Maor
 Player, 175 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Thu 12 Jul 2018
at 13:38
On the Alien Ship
IM "Well I'm paranoid. Considering what's happened so far this year, I'd say it's a healthy attitude."

With a wry smile "I vote Imperial, specifically the IISS. A lot less of a headache and paperwork than the Navy. And if it helps I've a history of finding the unknown while I was in the Scouts."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 503 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Fri 13 Jul 2018
at 05:23
On the Alien Ship
"We'll probably have to hard couple both ships together to get the Jump field to cover.  It is probably going to take some work but if we can tap into the alien ship's hull it might let us extend the field."  He shook his head.  "We'll have to be really careful not to misjump and end up inside a star."

At the mention of selling the ship he nodded.  "Scouts for sure.  We're a lot less likely to end up invited to seclusion for a decade to keep things secret with them compared to the Navy."
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 83 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Sat 14 Jul 2018
at 19:15
On the Alien Ship
Hans assists in getting the alien ship off the asteroid and the hard attached to the Dust Runner in preparation for Jump.

"From what I gather from the alien computers, their ship does not use Jump drive for FTL travel.  It uses something else that I am still trying to figure out.  Unfortunately it looks like their FTL drive and power plant where in the area that imploded, so we don't have an actual sample of the technology.

With the alien ship tucked in tight against the Dust Runner we can generate a large enough jump field to handle both ships.  It will be somewhat inefficient, but we have margin.  The calculated range for 1 jump is just under a parasec and we have enough fuel to do 2 jumps.  So the plan would be to do 1 jump to near the target star.  Ascertain our exact position and then do a short jump into the vicinity of the target stars gas giant.  Skim the gas giant for fuel and rinse and repeat a couple more times to get to Regina.

I also vote for selling to the Scouts.  I would suggest once we jump from Jenghe and only have a short jump into Regina, that we uncouple the ships, leave the alien with my runabout and someone to watch over them and jump the Dust Runner only into Regina.  With the videos we have we should be able to contact the IISS, make a deal and lead them out to pick up the alien ship or we return and bring it back ourselves."


Hans assists where he can.  We take extra time/care in setting up, and double checking, the jump.  Once everything is ready, we execute the Jump.
StarMaster
 GM, 495 posts
 Referee
Tue 24 Jul 2018
at 00:16
On the Alien Ship
That plan works without any real difficulties.

You are out in the Oort Cloud of Dinomn, so it's a Jump-1 to Dinom, another Jump-1 to Jenghe, and a third Jump-1 to reach Regina.

With a great astrogation check, you can pretty much jump close enough to the gas giant so you wouldn't need to jump again to get closer. The ship's operating margin on fuel is sufficient to get you to the gas giant to refuel.

It's going to take three weeks to reach Regina.
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 84 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Tue 24 Jul 2018
at 00:41
On the Alien Ship
Looks like the guesstimate on the mass/volume of the alien ship was high and we make it quicker than I thought.

Hans spends the 3 weeks examining the alien ship and the contents of it's computers.  Based on the standard Imperial Technology Level scale, what does he estimate this ship is at?

In his off hours, he continues his study of a couple of different subjects, just to take his mind off the alien ship.

"When we jump into Regina, should we jump straight in with the alien?  Or should we jump into the Oort Cloud, stash the ship, and jump fully in system to contact the IISS?  Thoughts?"
Ignatius Maor
 Player, 176 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Tue 24 Jul 2018
at 13:27
On the Alien Ship
IM pops up "Let me make a few calls when we get in system."

During one of the jumps on when the are in Regina's system he will try to get an update to his Scout and find out who hi knows that's stationed on Regina's Base.
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 85 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Sun 29 Jul 2018
at 22:48
On the Alien Ship
When the Dust Runner jumps to Regina, we jump in about a half a light year out.  Closer than most of the Oort cloud but still far enough away a jump signature won't be noticed and shouldn't be detectable for 6 months.

Take detailed readings of the location, so we can jump back, we will leave the alien ship and Hans' ship, since it has a biosphere and should not have a problem with long lifesupport.

We then jump into Regina on a normal distance and approach.  Ignatius can contact the Scouts while we contact Regina flight control and make normal landing arrangements and queries about selling cargo.
StarMaster
 GM, 497 posts
 Referee
Tue 31 Jul 2018
at 19:09
On the Alien Ship
Hans gets quite wrapped up in his studies of the alien ship. The first thing he finds in the alien computer is the power source, which apparently was a forced singularity. As is the case with may cultures, even separated Human ones, the technological development is often inconsistent across the various fields.

The forced singularity would put energy at around TL 18, but the computers and the weapons seem to be only TL 14 at best. Everything else (transportation, medical, construction) seems to be around TL 12. The other anomaly, however, is communications... specifically sensors.

Those two strange labs that he found are advanced sensor systems. One is supposed to be sensors that work in Jump-space. The other supposes to work in hyperspace!

One thing that really surprises Hans is that the construction and technology of these sensor suites appear to be inconsistent with the rest of the alien technology. Oh, it's got an overlay of the alien tech, but that's all on the surface... a sort of interface to let them use and understand the systems.

The underlying tech does not appear to Ancient tech, though. It's also possible that the power source and drive engines were this other tech, and that these aliens had tried to make it work for them but may not have understood it fully enough... and that resulted in the 'implosion'.
StarMaster
 GM, 498 posts
 Referee
Tue 31 Jul 2018
at 19:11
On the Alien Ship
IM recalls that a Darius Qwell was the last Special Executive at the Regina Scout Base. Unless he transferred, he should still be there, though maybe not in the same position any more.
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 88 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Tue 31 Jul 2018
at 21:49
On the Alien Ship
Hans relays what he finds out to the others.  Then he makes an estimate of what he thinks the ship is worth.
Ignatius Maor
 Player, 177 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Wed 1 Aug 2018
at 01:06
On the Alien Ship
IM sends a message to Darius checking to see that he's still around and hint at a discovery.
Arc Tangent
 Player, 60 posts
Wed 1 Aug 2018
at 01:12
On the Alien Ship
"What exactly does that mean about the sensors?" Arc asks. He liked to think he knew a bit more about starships than the average grounder, but this was still over his head.

"I thought jump-space was a non-space. What could a sensor detect? And what's this hyperspace? Was this alien ship capable of making jump? Or did it travel through hyperspace... whatever that is?"
StarMaster
 GM, 499 posts
 Referee
Wed 1 Aug 2018
at 01:32
On the Alien Ship
The value of the ship is quite problematical.

A ship of that size would probably cost 200MCr.

However, the damage to it would reduce that to maybe 20MCr, since it has no engine or power source. But it's still a mostly intact ship.

On the other hand, it's an alien ship... which would push it back up to 200MCr, possibly even 300MCr.

Those two sensor suites make it priceless. If you played your cards right, and put it up for auction, you could conceivably get bids in excess of 1,000MCr. That's assuming you are allowed to auction it off.
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 89 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Wed 1 Aug 2018
at 23:20
On the Alien Ship
Hans replies: "Jump Space isn't a non-space.  It's a different space, with different dimensions and rules.  A jump bubble is created by opening a portal into jump space and blowing up a bubble by pumping in exotic particles created by converting fuel.  During a jump the jump bubble loses exotic particles, causing the jump bubble to shrink.  There have been many theories about what happens to the exotic particles that are lost.  The data on these jump sensors seems to indicate that the particles convert into a form of energy which radiates in jump space from the bubble.  These sensors can detect that energy.

There are many other spaces with different dimensions.  Hyperspace is a one of those although it's only a theory as far as I know.  It would have it's own unique characteristics, which might make it better or worse as an FTL drive than the jump drive. This second set of sensors would mean hyperspace is not a theory and is usable for FTL travel.  They might allow development of a hyperspace drive.

I am not sure, but I think the ship could use either a jump drive or a hyperspace drive.

While different technologies can progress at different speeds in any given society, from the look of the controls interface to these sensor suites, I think we have a nominally tech level 14 race that has acquired sensor and probably drive and powerplant technology from a more advanced civilization.  They have learned to reproduce and interface to the higher tech without fully understanding it.

Between the fact that this is an alien ship, both of those sensor suites and the composition of the hull is of an rare heavy element that there maybe more in the ship than exists through the Imperium, I think we should be looking at a price of 500 to 1,000 or more MCr.

Let's dock, sell off the cargo and talk to the Scouts."


As the ship heads into dock, Hans will scan the news networks to get an idea of any important/significant events.  He also will be looking up contacts for the sale of their cargo.
StarMaster
 GM, 500 posts
 Referee
Thu 2 Aug 2018
at 04:30
On the Alien Ship
It takes awhile, but IM finally gets a reply from Darius.

=/\= "Iggy, you son of gun! Where the hell have you been? They haven't dragged you into this war, have they?"=/\=
Steve Cable
 NPC in Memoriam, 362 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Thu 2 Aug 2018
at 04:39
On the Alien Ship
At Hans's price estimate, Steve's eyes nearly pop out of his head!

"Holy shrap! A trillion credits! What the hell are we going to do with a trillion credits?" he exclaims with a bit of alarm.

"Do you have any idea how big of a target that's going to make us?!"

"Wait! If we just turn it over to the Scouts, they'll estimate its value at the lowest possible... so about 500MCr. If we put in for the 10% finders' fee, that'll only be 50MCr. That's doable."

"That's assuming they acknowledge our find and our claim. It'll still take upward of a year to get the money. Maybe we could just ask for 1%. That they might expedite just to get rid of us."

Ignatius Maor
 Player, 178 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Thu 2 Aug 2018
at 13:37
On the Alien Ship
"Hey D. managed to avoid most of the shooting, although it did interrupt my vacation on Lanth. Got trapped there for a bit when o' Carlisle, my ride, got yanked into it. That's what happens when you retire with a ship, you know. Don't know what happened to him."

"Long story short, I've hooked up with a ship and been doing a bit of wandering around. Always end up exploring the weird stuff for some reason. Apparently once a Scout always a Scout."

"Anyways we have a client that we hauled out to the end of nowhere and picked up a rather one of a kind salvage. I think the Scouts would be real interested in it. I really think it'd be worth you while if you were to take a little trip out to visit us over at the High port docks. In addition it should be worth a credit or two to us. Will send you the dock ID once assigned."

Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 90 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Sun 5 Aug 2018
at 20:18
On the Alien Ship
We contact the High Port for approach instructions and to arrange a berth.  We will dock, off load our passenger, purchase supplies and fuel.

While Ignatius talks to his Scout contact, Hans will contact the local brokers and arrange to sell our cargo of Radioactives, Advanced Machine Parts and Biochemicals.
StarMaster
 GM, 501 posts
 Referee
Tue 7 Aug 2018
at 04:26
On the Alien Ship
Not sure if you parked the alien ship out in space somewhere or landed with it...


Darius seems to ponder IM's request for a moment before he replies. =/\= "Actually, I'm at the starport already. We don't normally do salvage... except for Scout ships, of course. There are always exceptions."

"Want to meet me at the Red Dwarf?" =/\=

Ignatius Maor
 Player, 179 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Tue 7 Aug 2018
at 21:23
On the Alien Ship
With a chuckle. "Always one to manage a visit to the local on expenses. Ok, when? And... If you check your docking bay monitor I think you're interest will perk up."

Assuming we have the ship with us otherwise I'll tell him I'll bring visuals.
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 91 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Tue 7 Aug 2018
at 23:34
On the Alien Ship
I thought we left it parked in deep space.  Makes it harder for the Imperium to just impound it.
Kraig Pars
 Player, 504 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Thu 9 Aug 2018
at 02:29
On the Alien Ship
Kraig will whistle quietly at the estimate of the value of the ship.  He will also listen with great interest at the description of the alien tech.  During the voyage he worked out and kept busy with study.

When they reached Regina he reached out to an old friend Alister Mercken.  He was active in trade and star ship insurance and would be able to fill Kraig in on the progress of the war and maybe provide a few tips on good cargo opportunities.
Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 92 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Mon 13 Aug 2018
at 00:14
On the Alien Ship
Hans tags along with Ignatius to the meeting with Darius.  He will provide an idea of what he has learned about the alien ship and to use his brokering skills to get the best price possible, if things get that far.
StarMaster
 GM, 502 posts
 Referee
Wed 15 Aug 2018
at 03:41
On the Alien Ship
IM and Hans meet Darius at the Red Dwarf bar.

After IM shows him the pictures, he looks at the two of you questioningly, as if to say 'Is this real?'

"I've never seen a ship like that... hole notwithstanding. What is it? What do you want to do with it?" he asks.
Ignatius Maor
 Player, 181 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Wed 15 Aug 2018
at 14:39
On the Alien Ship
"It's a scientific find. Alien technology, even damaged, is something the Imperium always wants to get their hands on. We stumbled across this, lucky me again, but it's not something we can really use. We'll turn over the coordinates for a very nice finders fee."

With a shrug "If you're not interested we will have to put it on the market, protect it while we find a buyer. A lot of work but we have spent close to a month assessing it and towing it closer to Imperial space. That's time and credits."

IM opens his hands on the table "We'd really like this to be an IISS find, rather than the Navy. I assume you can make a few quiet inquiries through the proper channels. You were always good at that sort of thing."

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:21, Sun 26 Aug 2018.

Dr. Hans Bomar
 player, 93 posts
 Scientist
 UPP 666CC9
Sun 19 Aug 2018
at 18:37
On the Alien Ship
Dr. Bomar adds; "From what we can tell this ship and the dead aliens we found onboard are from an uncatalogued race.  It looks like the ship is centuries old and has been derelict for a couple of those centuries.  We were able to access the ships computers, except navigation, which seems to be encrypted.  The ship seems to mainly be about tech level 14 with several glaring anomalies.  First the hull is made of planarium, a stable trans-uranic element that has only been detected as a trace element in dwarf stars and planets.  There is more in that hull than is estimated to be in the entire Imperium.  Second the hole you see, from scans and computer records, is where the main power plant and FTL drive were.  They seem to have utilized dark energy and possibly dark matter.  Not sure what FTL technique the drive used, but it seems to have been related to gravity.  The drive seems to have malfunctioned, creating an implosion which took out the power plant and FTL drive and left the hole you see.  The third anomaly is that besides normal sensors, the ship is outfitted with both Jump space and Hyperspace sensors, which are fully intact.  The power plant, FTL drive, and both sensor suites seem to be significantly more advanced than the tech level 14 of the rest of the ship.  We have detailed external and internal scans from our approach and boarding."

"I think you would agree that this is quite a find."

StarMaster
 GM, 503 posts
 Referee
Mon 27 Aug 2018
at 00:58
On the Alien Ship
Kraig hears back from his old friend, Alister.

"I don't suppose you're calling to invite me to a party?" he says. "So, what can I do for you?"

"Oh, the war. Everyone was on alert for awhile, but nothing ever made it this far. That's not to say the Zhodani didn't make a sortie here, but they appear to have been sadly misinformed about our defense. The navy thrashed them soundly!"

"I don't think they'll try again any time soon."

"Cargo? Oh, yeah, Regina's still a hub. We've been getting a lot of war supplies in and out of here. Trylon, Vector and Instellarms are the big ones. Oddly, Sharurshid has been rather quiet. Can't help wondering if they've got some agreement with the Zhodani."



At the Red Dwarf, Darius is not sure what to make of the story IM and Hans have been telling him.

"We've had these tales for millennium," Darius replies. "According to the latest conspiracy theories, there are 37 of these races out there... ones we haven't quite encountered yet but they've encountered us. Spying and probing and all that shit."

You can almost hear the gears whirring in his head, and then it's like Credit signs appear in his eyes.

"So, you haven't told anyone else about this ship and these aliens? GP might be interested in the ship, Naasirka in the electronics and SuSAG in the aliens themselves."

"You've got a ship, so I'm guessing you aren't interested in settling down here on Regina. What if we form our own corporation. I can manage it from here while you do your gallivanting. That way, we can get the most bang for the credit."

Ignatius Maor
 Player, 182 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Mon 27 Aug 2018
at 13:15
On the Alien Ship
IM blinks, well that took and unexpected turn. "Ok... Ready to retire Darius? You think the Imperial Navy or even the Scout Service is going to let that happen without sticking their big sticky paws in the middle of all this?"
Kraig Pars
 Player, 507 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sun 16 Sep 2018
at 03:58
On the Alien Ship
Kraig thought for a moment.  "I've got a ship with some space.  We'll be looking for a fairly quick turn around and we aren't too particular.  Can you see about arranging something?"
StarMaster
 GM, 504 posts
 Referee
Thu 20 Sep 2018
at 00:37
On the Alien Ship
"I can give you a few leads, but not really in a position to negotiate for you," Alister replies to Kraig.

"Not that I have anything against it, but I just don't know enough about your ship, your resources, your aims, your goals, your direction... hell, don't even know about your morals!"

He gives you a few leads for clearing houses and independent shippers.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:43, Fri 28 Sept 2018.

StarMaster
 GM, 505 posts
 Referee
Thu 20 Sep 2018
at 00:47
On the Alien Ship
"Oh, sure," Darius replies to IM, "I expect both the Scouts and the Navy to get involved, but there are ways to handle them. For starters, if we break the bounty up between two or more mega-corporations, there's less chance of the Navy getting a whiff of the deal until it's too late. Plus, if we sell to what would essentially be a consortium, they'll run all the interference for us."

"If push comes to shove, of course, the Navy will run roughshod all over the corps, but that's not likely to happen. Too much fallout in the middle of the war."

Ignatius Maor
 Player, 183 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Fri 21 Sep 2018
at 00:12
On the Alien Ship
IM smiles "Darius you're getting devious in your old age. I like it. You make a few discrete calls and I'll get with our folks to get their input. But all in all it sounds like you've got a plan we can run with."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 508 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sun 23 Sep 2018
at 04:25
Re: On the Alien Ship
StarMaster:
"I can give you a few leads, but not really in a position to negotiate for you," Alistair replies to Kraig.

"Not that I have anything against it, but I just don't know enough about your ship, your resources, your aims, your goals, your direction... hell, don't even know about your morals!"

He gives you a few leads for clearing houses and independent shippers.



Kraig chuckled at Alistair's reply.  "Well, fair enough.  I can do my own factor work and the leads are helpful, thank you.  Let me know when I can return the favor."

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:44, Fri 28 Sept 2018.

Luise Wechsler
 player, 126 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Fri 28 Sep 2018
at 03:00
Re: On the Alien Ship
After Kraig and IM tell her what they've managed to find out, she sits back in her chair with a strange look.

"Well. That's not what I was expecting," she says.

"How well do you think you can trust this Darius?" she asks IM. "He sounds quite devious."

"And before you go looking for cargo, Kraig, we should probably decide where we're going next. As I recall, we'd agreed to put the war as far behind us as possible. As it turns out, the war hasn't quite made it this far, so we should be golden... as long as we don't head back the way we came."

"We should also decide where we don't want to go, just so we don't buy some cargo we'll never deliver."

Ignatius Maor
 Player, 184 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Fri 28 Sep 2018
at 13:51
Re: On the Alien Ship
IM shrugs "I've no reason to distrust him. He's a very good bureaucrat, always been by the numbers type, a straight shooter. While what he's doing is not following the letter, if he retires during before announcing the deal, it's not something he'd go to jail for. At most maybe a reprimand. I just think he's decided to head in to retirement with a major nest egg."
Kraig Pars
 Player, 509 posts
 Former Merchant
 696B73
Sun 7 Oct 2018
at 04:55
Re: On the Alien Ship
Kraig nodded enthusiastically.  "We definitely want to jump back deeper into the Imperium.  We're definitely too near the front lines for a lightly armed ship."
Arc Tangent
 Player, 61 posts
Sat 13 Oct 2018
at 00:17
Re: On the Alien Ship
"It does sound like your friend has put his own interests ahead of the Service," Arc comments to the others.

"On the other hand, he's not short-changing the Scouts. There's nothing that they'd really get from this. I mean, it's not like they are into making a profit."

"I don't suppose there's any regulations against moonlighting, is there?"

StarMaster
 GM, 507 posts
 Referee
Fri 26 Oct 2018
at 04:32
Selling the Alien Ship
After a few hours, Darius calls back.

"Okay, I think I've got it all worked out," he informs everyone. "I've set us up as Farspace Enterprises LLC. That seems innocuous enough."

"We each have a 1/10th interest in the business. I've got one share, and the crew of your ship has the other 9 shares. It's up to you how to determine who gets what."

"I then contacted the three corporations I mentioned and asked if they might be interested in the information we have. I asked them what value they'd place on it, and then negotiated a higher value."

"I explained about the location, and suggested that they form a consortium so that no one of them would have an exclusive."

"The aliens we have bring in 10MCr from SuSAG. There's no guarantee that they'll be as valuable as we think they might, so that's as high as SuSAG is willing to go."

"Naasirka is willing to cough up 100MCr for the electronics. Again, it's a gamble for them."

"And GP's tossing in another 100MCr for the ship itself."

"We might have been able to jack up the price with an auction, but that'd draw too much attention... would have caught the attention of the government... Even if we saw any money, it'd be ten or twenty years before we actually got it."

Ignatius Maor
 Player, 186 posts
 Retired Imperial Scout
Sat 27 Oct 2018
at 00:31
Selling the Alien Ship
IM is silent for a bit "Ok. Darius. You're saying we are going to get 250