Destination: Foreven.   Posted by StarMaster.Group: 0
Arc Tangent
 Player, 112 posts
 Medic, Guide
 UPP 5B7752
Sun 21 Mar 2021
at 23:30
Re: Destination: Foreven
"Stating to feel like we should have brought a shopping cart!" Arc comments as he looks around as well.

"I can't tell what any of this equipment does, but it looks kind of familiar yet strange. Really, if you think about it, would an alien popsicle look any different than one we'd eat? Same for a lot of stuff."

"If one of these doohickeys measures radiation, for instance, that'd look kind of familiar, right? But the symbols would all be different. And they might use a different scale... base 8 or base 12. Hell, for that matter, they could use base 7 or 17 because they are prime numbers."


He attempts to pick up one the devices that's about the size of a breadbox and haul it over to the door.
Roland Steel
 NPC Crew, 225 posts
 Engineer
 69C975
Tue 23 Mar 2021
at 15:56
Re: Destination: Foreven
Roland searches the counters as well with Arc, looking to see what is in the room.
StarMaster
 GM, 651 posts
 Referee
Tue 30 Mar 2021
at 03:29
Re: Destination: Foreven
The item Arc selected lifts easily enough in the light gravity, and he carries it over to the door and sets it on the floor between the door and the jamb to keep the door from closing.

While it is 'lightweight', he can tell it has mass to it, meaning it is probably fairly dense and therefore sturdy enough to hold the door. If it isn't, then those doors are super dangerous!

Roland doesn't really see anything different from another angle.

A few of the larger pieces of equipment are sitting atop metal cabinets that appear to have storage space underneath, but all the ones in this room are empty except for a lone beaker with a strange funnel-like top.

He does get the impression, though, that this is a materials lab... meant to analyze various substances.
Harry McStubbin
 Player, 525 posts
 Human pain in the ass
 898BA7
Tue 30 Mar 2021
at 11:52
Re: Destination: Foreven
In reply to StarMaster (msg # 305):

"Should we go to the next room then?"
Steve Cable
 NPC in Memoriam, 382 posts
 Salvage Hunter, ex-Scout
 UPP 7958C4
Tue 30 Mar 2021
at 17:48
Re: Destination: Foreven
"I like the shopping cart idea," he commented as they all looked around the room. "We could pile a lot of this into it. Getting it back to the ship could be a problem, though."

"You'd think some of it would be valuable, though, right? The archaeological sophontologists construct an entire species and culture based on their artifacts. Of course, that's mostly pottery shards. A place like this would have them... well, let's just say it would be ecstatic! Heh-heh."

"Sure, next room. Hopefully, Arlo's makeshift key will work on that one, too. Just a reminder to everyone: just because one door works one way doesn't mean every door will work that way. Remember, these are aliens. At least, we assume they are. The next door may have 4 holes, or an eye scanner or a pull cord! Until we have enough evidence to decide they think like us, ASSUME that they don't!"

'Forge' Harris
 player, 73 posts
 Security
Wed 31 Mar 2021
at 01:36
Re: Destination: Foreven
"Since the door is open, let's drag the stuff out to the main hallway and pick it up on the way out." Forge suggested.
Roland Steel
 NPC Crew, 226 posts
 Engineer
 69C975
Wed 31 Mar 2021
at 11:31
Re: Destination: Foreven
In reply to 'Forge' Harris (msg # 308):

"Good idea!" Roland and Harry carry and drag stuff into the hall.
StarMaster
 GM, 652 posts
 Referee
Sat 10 Apr 2021
at 02:43
Re: Destination: Foreven
As Harry and Roland drag equipment out into the hall, they quickly realize that there is a lot more equipment than will fit into the hallway conveniently.

Meanwhile, Forge, Steve, Arc and Arlo move on to the next door on the same wall. It, too, has the three little holes, and Arlo's 'wire-key' does the trick again. This is another 'lab'. Or maybe it's more of a machine shop. The apparatus in here all seems oriented toward mechanical things, though clearly not vehicles.

The equipment in here is more readily identifiable, such as a metal lathe and the tools you'd use to shape the metal. Most of these items would have a sale value of about 600-800 credits for normal stuff. If this alien, that could double or triple it... to a collector or even a museum.

At this point, you can see the central 'door' in the opposite wall of the hallway--it's clearly an airlock door, though it still looks like the other doors, except it has a large window in it.

There are doors on the opposite wall of the hallway, too, but Harry and Roland seem intent on blocking them with equipment.
Harry McStubbin
 Player, 529 posts
 Human pain in the ass
 898BA7
Sat 10 Apr 2021
at 14:51
Re: Destination: Foreven
"Lets leave it, too much and we need a passage through too." Harry says to Roland.
Roland Steel
 NPC Crew, 227 posts
 Engineer
 69C975
Sat 10 Apr 2021
at 14:52
Re: Destination: Foreven
In reply to Harry McStubbin (msg # 311):

"You're right, hang it all. Machine shop is nice!"
'Forge' Harris
 player, 74 posts
 Security
Sun 11 Apr 2021
at 00:42
Re: Destination: Foreven
"If we can find a way for craft to use it, it might still useful as a base for the local forces." Forge suggested as they made their way through the place.
Arlo Thresh
 NPC, 10 posts
 Spacer Engineer
Mon 12 Apr 2021
at 03:16
Re: Destination: Foreven
"I don't know about that," Arlo answers Forge.

"It's more like a spy base. Unless there's more to this base than we've yet discovered, I don't see how any ships could get in here."

"It was clearly a mine, but it also looks like some research was being done here. That means it was either corporate or government. Well, or alien. It might have made sense to an alien mind or culture. Consolidated effort... that sort of thing."

StarMaster
 GM, 653 posts
 Referee
Wed 14 Apr 2021
at 13:17
Re: Destination: Foreven
Due to his general hunting experience, where you always clean up your campsite before you leave, Arc first notices that there's no scrap, trash or waste in the two rooms. It wasn't obvious in the first room, but in this one, he was almost expecting it.

The second thing he notices is that there are no raw materials.

And thirdly, he realizes that the benches and counter and cabinets are all made of some synthetic material. It could be plastic (one of the hundreds possible), but it could also be composite. In particular, there is no wood. Anywhere.
Arc Tangent
 Player, 113 posts
 Medic, Guide
 UPP 5B7752
Wed 14 Apr 2021
at 13:30
Re: Destination: Foreven
As ARC notices these things, a puzzled expression crosses his face.

He then points his observations out to the others.

"Neatness counts, of course. Keeping this place clean is a good way to prolong the life of the machinery. Nothing to gum up the works," he comments.

"And in a sealed environment like this, that's almost mandatory."

"However, it would also seem to indicate that when the aliens left this base, they did so in an orderly and methodical way. It wasn't abandoned in a hurry. They might have taken all the raw materials, but don't know why they wouldn't take the equipment... unless they were planning on coming back."

"On the other hand, I don't even see any place for storing raw materials. I mean, there are a few pockets that could hold rods and bars and such, but that hardly seems sufficient."

"Are we missing something?"

Harry McStubbin
 Player, 530 posts
 Human pain in the ass
 898BA7
Wed 14 Apr 2021
at 13:44
Re: Destination: Foreven
In reply to Arc Tangent (msg # 316):

"A lot I'd say. Wracking my brain for answers and an coming up with nothing. We should be more careful though, the place may not be empty after all."
Arlo Thresh
 NPC, 11 posts
 Spacer Engineer
Sat 17 Apr 2021
at 20:11
Re: Destination: Foreven
"Hadn't really thought about it until you brought it up, Arc," Arlo adds, "I think maybe these back walls are actually storage lockers."

"Remember, these are aliens. Their thinking isn't going to be like ours all the time... except maybe when form follows function. For instance, we don't normally try to... hide... our storage cabinets, except when there's something particularly valuable, dangerous or illegal involved... like a wall safe or a panic room."

"But you notice that here aren't any shelves on any of these walls. That is, nothing fastened to the walls. What few shelves there are are either freestanding or part of another piece of equipment."


As he talks, he walks back to the rear walls and begins examining them more closely.

"I'm surprised that there aren't any pictures or instructions or warnings posted on the walls. It's probably a case of aesthetics. Or maybe this was supposed to be so secret that they didn't want to give away any clues with obvious printed material."

"And you'll notice that there's a significant gap between some of these machines along the back wall. That might just be because of safety reasons, of course, but..."

"Ah-ha! Three holes in the wall... in three places! Let's see if my wire claw will work on them."


He manipulates the three-pronged wire device he built into the first set of holes.
StarMaster
 GM, 654 posts
 Referee
Sat 17 Apr 2021
at 20:25
Re: Destination: Foreven
In short order, there's a slight click and a previously undetected door pops open just a little bit. Arlo is able to pull the door open further without any difficulty.

Behind it is either a small storeroom or a large cabinet. It's actually too small to be a reasonable storeroom or closet, but it's also too large to be a 'normal' cabinet.

Again, though, 'odd' alien thinking at play.

In the first cabinet thus revealed are a variety of long metal rods and bars of various diameters and shapes, all stored vertically in slots that run around all four walls (except for where the door is). It all looks to be steel of various types.

The second door opens the same way and has the same sort of cabinet behind it. Here, though, the walls are lined with narrow (front to back) shelves that have maybe a hundred or so small metal ingots on them. The upright supports seem to have a small metal plate with raised areas reminiscent of Braille. Then you notice the jars. On one of the end wall shelves are several dozen small opaque (possibly) ceramic jars, about the size and shape you'd find canned tuna fish in. Each of those also has a metal label.

The third door is similar in configuration to the other two, but the contents are even more bizarre and unidentifiable. The shelves are a little deeper than the last cabinet, but what is on them is any assortment of materials ranging from what looks like lumps of clay or putty to rough crystals. Some might be considered 'ingots' except they are in odd shapes--cubes, cylinders, spheres, tetrahedrons, etc. Textures vary as do size and colors.
Steve Cable
 NPC in Memoriam, 383 posts
 Salvage Hunter, ex-Scout
 UPP 7958C4
Sat 17 Apr 2021
at 20:33
Re: Destination: Foreven
"Good job, Arlo!" Steve responds to this find.

"I'm still convinced that whatever tool these aliens used, even if it was their fingers, probably had some sort of electrical charge to them that acted as security. Like an electronic card. You can't just run any card through the reader to get a door to open. Of course, that also requires there to be power to the reader and the sensor/computer doing the monitoring."

He looks at the outside of the doors again, from up, down, both sides... shining his light on it from different angles.

"If they could see into the ultraviolet end of the spectrum, they aren't marking the doors with any kind of paint or something. It would have to be a way to alter the index of refraction of the metal itself. Which means... there might be a device around here that does that. Maybe not in any of these labs, but it's something to keep an eye out for."

"Unless any of you can identify these storage materials, it's off to the next room, right?"

'Forge' Harris
 player, 75 posts
 Security
Sun 18 Apr 2021
at 20:47
Re: Destination: Foreven
Taking the items that were found in the cabinet, Forge tried to understand the materials and what they might be using his knowledge from being a junk dealer. using his hands as a makeshift scale to get a better understanding of their composition.

16:43, Today: 'Forge' Harris rolled 9 using 2d6+1 with rolls of 5,3.  Engineer-0.
StarMaster
 GM, 655 posts
 Referee
Tue 20 Apr 2021
at 19:36
Re: Destination: Foreven
Forge can identify some of the metal bars and rods--steel, chromium steel, vanadium steel, titanium steel... the others are clearly allows that elude him.

The ingots are similar, but different metals that would be used for things that the steel wouldn't work so well--copper, bronze, brass, aluminum, pewter, tungsten, nickle, zinc, palladium, gold, iridium, platinum... maybe osmium and cobalt, and a few others that he can't readily identify.

The other items are probably a number of substances that aren't metals, like rare earths. Sulfur and mercury are the easiest ones to identify; others might be silicon, gallium, phosphorus, germanium, potassium, manganese and magnesium. There are also a few items that appear to be man-made items--synthetics, composites, greases, and one he guesses to be buckminsterfullerenes.
Harry McStubbin
 Player, 531 posts
 Human pain in the ass
 898BA7
Thu 22 Apr 2021
at 12:51
Re: Destination: Foreven
In reply to StarMaster (msg # 322):

Harry and Roland follow the others as they explore, keeping together was the wiser option. Arlo was good with his 'key' but there was just no clue as to what this place really was.
StarMaster
 GM, 656 posts
 Referee
Mon 10 May 2021
at 01:34
Re: Destination: Foreven
Going back to the electronics room, you find similar storage space behind that lab. On the shelves in here are typical electronic stores, mostly all kept in clear plastic containers. There are also several hundred small components.

Now that you know the storage rooms are there, the doors don't really look like they were meant to be secret. They are probably just the way these aliens thought. A 'closet door' is an eyesore.

If what you've found so far is any guide, you could spend months cleaning out this facility of just the easily carried parts.

Heading down to the third door on the left, you can now see that the door across the hall has a window in it and you can see through it to tell that beyond is an airlock with rows of lockers along both sides. The lockers have windows in the doors, too, and you can see a vacc/suit in the first two lockers on each side. The angle and lighting is too poor to see into the other 6 lockers.

Arlo uses his wire trick to open the next door on the left--it's another lab. At first, it seems like another electronics lab, but even a quick examination shows that it was set up as a sensor lab--designing and building and improving sensors.
Arc Tangent
 Player, 114 posts
 Medic, Guide
 UPP 5B7752
Mon 10 May 2021
at 01:44
Re: Destination: Foreven
"The more we find, the more confused I get about what this place was supposed to be," Arc says over the comms.

"Mining I understand, even a materials a lab to identify what you find, but these labs... they look more like research labs albeit on a small scale."

"We may have to chalk it up to alien thinking. Maybe they were multi-taskers."

"I can identify some of these sensors, though not quite sure how to operate them. This here's just a thermal scanner--point it at a target and it tells you the temperature."

"I think this item is a bio-sensor."

"Beyond that, you probably need to be a whiz at physics."

Harry McStubbin
 Player, 532 posts
 Human pain in the ass
 898BA7
Mon 10 May 2021
at 11:48
Re: Destination: Foreven
In reply to Arc Tangent (msg # 325):

Harry wanders around the lab exploring the various items, looking for anything useful.
Roland Steel
 NPC Crew, 228 posts
 Engineer
 69C975
Mon 10 May 2021
at 11:49
Re: Destination: Foreven
In reply to Harry McStubbin (msg # 326):

Roland stays close to Arlo and Arc, trying to learn what he can about the place.