Destination: Foreven.   Posted by StarMaster.Group: 0
'Forge' Harris
 player, 52 posts
 Security
Wed 7 Oct 2020
at 23:49
Re: Destination: Foreven
"What's your cut? Which gasser and pong? Any atmo? Is there room for an arf?" Forge asked, with the thought of doing something other than being cooped in a merchant ship, besides reading the manual on the turret.

"You got vacation time? Maybe you can join us since you are a scout. Might be a promo if you play your cards right." He added, trying to get an idea as to the risk.

OOC:
Gasser - Gas Giant
Pong - Moon (referencing a ping pong ball)
Arf - Air raft

Roland Steel
 NPC Crew, 203 posts
 Engineer
 69C975
Thu 8 Oct 2020
at 11:33
Re: Destination: Foreven
In reply to 'Forge' Harris (msg # 183):

Roland listened but was unimpressed, but then again, it could be Ancients!
Roland Steel
 NPC Crew, 204 posts
 Engineer
 69C975
Sat 10 Oct 2020
at 18:50
Re: Destination: Foreven
In reply to Roland Steel (msg # 184):

The more he listened, the more interested Roland became. It could be a serious opportunity for them, but he let Forge do the talking.
StarMaster
 GM, 631 posts
 Referee
Sat 17 Oct 2020
at 04:26
Re: Destination: Foreven
"What? You think I'm daft?" Arlo replies. "I got the info, you got the ship."

"Yeah, I figured I'd go with you, but, hell, if I play my cards right, screw the promotion! I'll just retire!"

"I'm thinking there must be lots of good stuff out there. The location alone would be worth a lot, but probably not enough to retire on, not when we split it. But, put our hands on some artifacts... the sky's the limit on them!"

"Not sure where we'd sell them, being out here in the Big Empty."

"Of course, it might not be the Ancients at all. Could be something else. Every once in a while you hear a rumor about another race that was out this way--the D'Nari. Just rumors, but you never know."

"So, you interested in making a deal? We can do it up like a mining claim."

Roland Steel
 NPC Crew, 205 posts
 Engineer
 69C975
Sat 17 Oct 2020
at 12:13
Re: Destination: Foreven
In reply to StarMaster (msg # 186):

"I'd be interested, but you'd have to run it by the captain too, and the rest of the crew will follow if she agrees."
Luise Wechsler
 player, 173 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Sun 18 Oct 2020
at 01:30
Re: Destination: Foreven
"If she agrees to what?" Luise said as she joined them at the table, drink in hand.

"Didn't think you'd get that far ahead of me already!"

When it was explained to her in hushed tones, she thought about it for a minute before she replied.

"I don't see any problem with that. Breaks up the routine. This way, we won't have to spacewalk and paint the ship pink."

"Without knowing specifics, of course, I estimate we'll have a minimum of six hours to check out the mine, see if it's been depleted, before we have to bug out in case Big Daddy comes looking. That'd give us plenty of time to reach the Limit without having to risk a screw-job."


She was speaking in a sort of code just in case. Deniability.
StarMaster
 GM, 632 posts
 Referee
Sun 18 Oct 2020
at 01:47
Re: Destination: Foreven
Harry finds that there are 7 lots of 20 tons each going to Thanber. They are all minor cargoes at 3,000Cr per ton. There's no time limit on them. It is apparently cargo ordered by Thanber. Out here, it's practically expected that it'll take up to a year to get something shipped in.
Harry McStubbin
 Player, 480 posts
 Human pain in the ass
 898BA7
Sun 18 Oct 2020
at 12:08
Re: Destination: Foreven
In reply to StarMaster (msg # 189):

I think we can take 6 at 360,000Cr. Correct me if I'm wrong SM.
'Forge' Harris
 player, 53 posts
 Security
Sun 18 Oct 2020
at 21:13
Re: Destination: Foreven
"Works for me, then again, I will be the knuckle dragger to keep you guys out of trouble. Count me in." Forge said.
Luise Wechsler
 player, 174 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Mon 19 Oct 2020
at 02:32
Re: Destination: Foreven
"So. Do you know how to write up a mining claim, Arlo? Or do we just use a standard mining agreement from the archives?" Luise asks.

"We're not on any schedule, so whenever you're ready. Clearly, though, we shouldn't hang around here too long. People will start to wonder, considering what a hotbed of excitement this place is. I looked up Quare in the database--it said 'see drudgery'."
StarMaster
 GM, 633 posts
 Referee
Tue 20 Oct 2020
at 23:08
Re: Destination: Foreven
Harry forgot that you picked up 76 tons of cargo on Tremous Dex. You haven't had any place to unload it yet. That only leaves you 50 tons of cargo space empty.

Also, the freight isn't anything you have to pay for--you get paid when you deliver it.
Harry McStubbin
 Player, 481 posts
 Human pain in the ass
 898BA7
Wed 21 Oct 2020
at 12:22
Re: Destination: Foreven
In reply to StarMaster (msg # 193):

sorry.
Arlo Thresh
 NPC, 1 post
 Spacer Engineer
Wed 21 Oct 2020
at 20:29
Re: Destination: Foreven
"I'm no legal eagle, but I've throw together a few mining claims in my day," Arlo replies.

"I've got unused leave time and the ship's kind of on hold; that is, it ain't going anywhere soon unless something crazy happens. So, I can take off whenever I want."
Roland Steel
 NPC Crew, 206 posts
 Engineer
 69C975
Wed 21 Oct 2020
at 20:31
Re: Destination: Foreven
In reply to Arlo Thresh (msg # 195):

"Sounds good to me, what do you think captain?" Rollie asks Luise.
Harry McStubbin
 Player, 482 posts
 Human pain in the ass
 898BA7
Wed 21 Oct 2020
at 21:47
Re: Destination: Foreven
In reply to StarMaster (msg # 193):

We'll deliver 2 of them then, 40 tons. 120,000Cr for us.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:48, Wed 21 Oct 2020.

Steve Cable
 NPC in Memoriam, 379 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Wed 21 Oct 2020
at 22:55
Re: Destination: Foreven
"I'm in. Depending on distance, do we want to microjump or use standard acceleration?" Steve asks.

"Microjump is going to put us close to two weeks travel if we're bringing Arlo back."

"If we hit the jackpot, it's possible that we won't be coming back here. Is that going to be a problem for you, Arlo?"

"And that's especially true if we have to jump out for some reason."

'Forge' Harris
 player, 54 posts
 Security
Wed 21 Oct 2020
at 23:50
Re: Destination: Foreven
"Might want to use standard acceleration. No use popping out in the middle of a war zone." Forge suggested.
Roland Steel
 NPC Crew, 207 posts
 Engineer
 69C975
Sat 24 Oct 2020
at 14:56
Re: Destination: Foreven
In reply to 'Forge' Harris (msg # 199):

"What do you think Captain? We going for it? When do you want to kick off?"
Arlo Thresh
 NPC, 2 posts
 Spacer Engineer
Fri 30 Oct 2020
at 14:25
Re: Destination: Foreven
"Two weeks could be a problem, but if we don't come back, it probably won't matter," Arlo responds. "I can always comm my resignation to them. While they have the right to refuse it, it'd be pointless for them to do so when they'd know I wasn't coming back. Besides, I ain't 'essential' personnel anyway."

He pulls out his epad, types on it for a few minutes, and then shows the result to the others.

"Standard mining claim form. It splits anything found equally between the two parties--your ship and me. That work for you? You'll notice that the exact location isn't mentioned yet. I'll fill that in once we're about half way there."

"Any questions?"

This message was last edited by the player at 22:24, Wed 04 Nov 2020.

Roland Steel
 NPC Crew, 208 posts
 Engineer
 69C975
Fri 30 Oct 2020
at 14:31
Re: Destination: Foreven
In reply to Arlo Thresh (msg # 201):

"Up to the captain in the end Arlo, but it works for me." He takes a swallow from his beer and sits the mug down on the table.

"It could be nothing, or it could make us rich!"
Luise Wechsler
 player, 175 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Fri 30 Oct 2020
at 14:36
Re: Destination: Foreven
"Looks good to me," she replies to both Roland and Arlo.

She doesn't bother mentioning that there wasn't anything to keep them from spacing Arlo after the halfway point. He didn't seen unscrupulous to her, and she was pretty sure none of them appeared that way to him. In that sense, he'd been smart to select a ship captained by a Baroness.

Besides, he probably had some sort of contingency plan in place, just in case. She'd certainly have one if she was dealing with strangers.

On the other hand, it could be a trap. He could be working with pirates. His story sounded totally legit, but it'd have to in order to lure a ship out.

On yet another hand, he probably didn't know about the ship's shields... or any of its other capabilities and surprises, so if pirates did attack, they'd be in a for a very rude awakening.

She made a mental note to have Steve keep an eye on Arlo just in case.

"Yeah, we'll head out at sublight. Departure in... 2 hours? We can claim we want to test out our upgraded fuel scoops and processors at the gas giant."
Roland Steel
 NPC Crew, 209 posts
 Engineer
 69C975
Fri 30 Oct 2020
at 14:42
Re: Destination: Foreven
"Two hours? Aye - aye captain!" Roland drinks the last of his beer and slams the stein and heads for the ship to make ready for flight, he'll let the captain give the flight alert, who would listen to him!
Harry McStubbin
 Player, 483 posts
 Human pain in the ass
 898BA7
Fri 30 Oct 2020
at 14:44
Re: Destination: Foreven
In reply to Roland Steel (msg # 204):

When Harry got the recall order, he called and cancelled the 2 containers of cargo, not enough time now. He'd get with them later if he could.
Harry McStubbin
 Player, 485 posts
 Human pain in the ass
 898BA7
Sat 7 Nov 2020
at 15:59
Re: Destination: Foreven
In reply to Harry McStubbin (msg # 205):

Harry got the refuel done and the Life support serviced as quick as he could, readying for flight. He wondered what Luise had found that was getting them off of this rock so damn fast.
'Forge' Harris
 player, 55 posts
 Security
Sun 8 Nov 2020
at 17:18
Re: Destination: Foreven
Having another drink for the road, Forge headed back to the ship to get ready, starting by putting on his armor.