Destination: Foreven.   Posted by StarMaster.Group: 0
Harry McStubbin
 Player, 497 posts
 Human pain in the ass
 898BA7
Fri 11 Dec 2020
at 17:13
Re: Destination: Foreven
The cargo hold would be the first choice, but we can store a boat on the top as well and have an iris valve and air lock put in to board it. Time and expense are the consideration there. We can store cargo inside the air raft in space if we have to so we won't lose too much space."

This message was last edited by the player at 17:14, Fri 11 Dec 2020.

Roland Steel
 NPC Crew, 216 posts
 Engineer
 69C975
Thu 17 Dec 2020
at 20:23
Re: Destination: Foreven
"So captain, orders? What and how do you wish to investigate this anomaly?"
Luise Wechsler
 player, 181 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Sat 19 Dec 2020
at 05:18
Re: Destination: Foreven
"The moon's big enough for us to land on," Luise said, "so takes us in."

"We can use the cargo nets to get down to the side of that place, but we should look around on the surface first. There must be some way to get into it other than breaking in from the front. Or maybe it's the back... or side."

"It was hard to get a good view of it. I didn't see any signs of a door. We should be prepared to climb down first for a survey, and if we don't find a way in, climb back up and bring tools back down. After all, we won't know what we might need."

"Does that sound okay to everyone? Any other ideas?"

Harry McStubbin
 Player, 499 posts
 Human pain in the ass
 898BA7
Sat 19 Dec 2020
at 14:07
Re: Destination: Foreven
"Sounds awesome to me, Rollie? The rest of you?" Harry says.
Roland Steel
 NPC Crew, 217 posts
 Engineer
 69C975
Sat 19 Dec 2020
at 14:09
Re: Destination: Foreven
In reply to Harry McStubbin (msg # 243):

"Sounds good. I never climbed down the nets on a ship before like the old vids, might be fun!"
'Forge' Harris
 player, 60 posts
 Security
Sun 20 Dec 2020
at 20:16
Re: Destination: Foreven
"Fine with me, much better than trying to EVA to the surface. " Forge said.
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 344 posts
 Retired Merchant
 797997
Tue 22 Dec 2020
at 14:49
Re: Destination: Foreven
"Since that's about the only option we have," Gahler replied as he piloted the ship down to a landing, "sounds like a great plan to me!"

"The only alternative I could think of was just jumping off and hoping that the site catches us! If it was an active Ancient site, that would be a real possibility. So far, though, it doesn't look like an Ancient site, but I'm hardly an expert on those."

Arlo Thresh
 NPC, 5 posts
 Spacer Engineer
Tue 22 Dec 2020
at 14:57
Re: Destination: Foreven
"Yeah, I'm all for it, too," Arlo agrees. "Going back for any kind of extra equipment is problematic at best, and highly suspicious if we then come back out this way. Ditto if I say I need more leave time. Like, where the hell could I be going?"

"Nothing we need is likely to be available. The station's just not big enough, busy enough or important enough to have a surplus of equipment. If you think gravbelts are expensive normally, they could be ten times that on the station, even if you could find any."

This message was last updated by the player at 14:57, Tue 22 Dec 2020.

Arc Tangent
 Player, 107 posts
 Medic, Guide
 UPP 5B7752
Tue 22 Dec 2020
at 15:03
Re: Destination: Foreven
"So, as I understand what you've been saying, we need to land, then do an EVA recon of the area looking for an alternate way in, and if we can't find one, we deploy the nets over the edge and climb down to the face of this structure and try to find a way to get in there," Arc summarizes.

"So, Forge, looks like we've doing an EVA after all."
'Forge' Harris
 player, 61 posts
 Security
Tue 22 Dec 2020
at 19:20
Re: Destination: Foreven
"Times a waiting!" Forge said as he heading to the airlock to await the landing.
Harry McStubbin
 Player, 500 posts
 Human pain in the ass
 898BA7
Wed 23 Dec 2020
at 12:32
Re: Destination: Foreven
In reply to 'Forge' Harris (msg # 249):

Roland and Harry strap in for the landing.
StarMaster
 GM, 638 posts
 Referee
Thu 7 Jan 2021
at 15:35
Re: Destination: Foreven
The ship lands maybe a hundred feet from the edge of the rift. Any closer probably isn't wise since you don't know how stable the rock ledge is. In any case, someone will be sitting in the pilot's seat the whole time... just in case. If the ledge starts to give way, the gravity maneuver drive can easily keep the ship from falling into the rift.

Those who want to go EVA and look for an alternate entrance do so. Sensors, of course, are useless for finding such an entrance. If there is an alternate entrance... actually, a 'normal' entrance rather than crashing through a window on the side of the building, it'll have to be spotted visually. In a way, it's like finding the fake rock with the hidden key.

Presumably, the builders had some way of detecting the entrance, or else they just knew where it was.

It takes nearly two hours of kicking rocky outcroppings and bouncing across the asteroid before Forge spots the anomaly--a straight line. As he gets closer, he sees that it is a lever probably made of some composite material. Hidden in a hollow in the shadow of an outcropping, it is parallel to the surface, clearly has a pivot point on one end, and there is just enough space to pull it up about six inches. However, try as he might, Forge cannot detect the outline of a door.
Harry McStubbin
 Player, 502 posts
 Human pain in the ass
 898BA7
Thu 7 Jan 2021
at 15:41
Re: Destination: Foreven
Comms<< "Pull the lever already Forge, as you said a few hours ago, Times a wasting!">> comms he moves in to help if it is stuck and if there is room. If there isn't, he stands back.

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 15:41, Thu 07 Jan.

'Forge' Harris
 player, 63 posts
 Security
Sat 9 Jan 2021
at 14:35
Re: Destination: Foreven
"Hold your horses!" Reaching over, Forge tested the lever to see if it would open the door.
StarMaster
 GM, 639 posts
 Referee
Sat 9 Jan 2021
at 16:09
Re: Destination: Foreven
On the one hand, it's a bit surprising that the lever moves at all, but then again, there's no weather or dust on the moon to have affected it. It's in perpetual shadow as well, so there's no temperature variations.

The lever moves easily, but it seems to be a switch-type lever. Nothing happens until it's in the full 'open' position. When that happens, there is a slow shift in the rock on the other side of the stone with the lever. A 3-meter by 3-meter section rises about 10 centimeters before it slides aside revealing a dark hole in the rock.

Shining your helmet light into the hole, it appears to be a rocky tunnel that goes in as far as your vision can see even though the light goes farther as there is no atmosphere to diffuse it. It isn't helped by the fact that all four walls of the tunnel are made of irregular semi-flat black rock.

Clearly, it's meant to be unnoticeable when the door is open.
Harry McStubbin
 Player, 504 posts
 Human pain in the ass
 898BA7
Sat 9 Jan 2021
at 16:13
Re: Destination: Foreven
"We got an opening, turning everything on, cameras and recording devices and lights.  You want to go in first Forge? Or do you want me to? Leaving comms open so you can hear everything."
'Forge' Harris
 player, 64 posts
 Security
Sat 9 Jan 2021
at 17:01
Re: Destination: Foreven
Pulling out his cutlass and stunner, Forge headed inside, not sure what to expect as he recorded what he saw.
Harry McStubbin
 Player, 505 posts
 Human pain in the ass
 898BA7
Sat 9 Jan 2021
at 17:03
Re: Destination: Foreven
In reply to 'Forge' Harris (msg # 256):

Harry followed close on his heels, weapons at the ready. "You got my video feed there on the ship?"

This message was last edited by the player at 14:22, Sun 10 Jan.

StarMaster
 GM, 641 posts
 Referee
Sat 23 Jan 2021
at 18:02
Re: Destination: Foreven
Although you are on a moon of the gas giant, it's one of the smaller moons. Still, it's rather surprising to find that the tunnel goes on a long ways before you come to another airlock door. Although the symbols aren't readable, the intent seems to be rather standard. For safety reasons, airlocks aren't meant to be complicated to operate.

The only real difference is that there's no window nor any viewscreen to show what lies beyond.

Since there are only two buttons, one is likely to open it and the other to close it. Being closed already, that button wouldn't be operable. Hitting the top button causes the bottom light to glow red. In a few seconds, the red light goes out and the one above lights up purple!

With no atmosphere in the tunnel, it should now mean that the air on the other side has been vacated.

Once again, it's a lever that opens the door. Currently in the upright position on the right side, pushing it down to a horizontal position allows the door to swing inward.

There's a light on inside the hatch-like airlock with another door on the opposite side of the room. It's large enough to fit everyone.

Once inside, the hatch can be closed and the lever (duplicated on the inside) can be raised to a vertical position again, and the light shifts from purple to red... indicating that the atmosphere/pressure on the inside is now different from the outside tunnel.

The inner airlock shows purple at the same time. That should mean that the air on the other side of the door is the same as that now in the airlock. Your suit sensors indicate it's close to standard content and pressure with no harmful contaminants.

You can also see that the walls in here are finished metal, not the rough stone of the tunnel. There's a definite copperish tint to the metal.

The inside door has two levers, though.
Harry McStubbin
 Player, 507 posts
 Human pain in the ass
 898BA7
Sat 23 Jan 2021
at 18:07
Re: Destination: Foreven
"Wow, I wonder what the second lever is for? I'm not for messing with too much until we know what it is. You getting the feed back on the ship?"
'Forge' Harris
 player, 65 posts
 Security
Sat 23 Jan 2021
at 18:59
Re: Destination: Foreven
"Not sure but I would guess that in an emergency that they turn off the cycling system and open both, like in case of a fire or such." Forge suggested. "If everyone is in a vacc suit, opening the doors to the vacuum would kill any fire real quick."
Harry McStubbin
 Player, 508 posts
 Human pain in the ass
 898BA7
Mon 25 Jan 2021
at 16:24
Re: Destination: Foreven
In reply to 'Forge' Harris (msg # 260):

"Kill the oxygen supply too, could be, we'll see."
Arlo Thresh
 NPC, 6 posts
 Spacer Engineer
Thu 28 Jan 2021
at 20:34
Re: Destination: Foreven
"Safety," Arlo offers, having served on a space station before. "Or security. Probably a bit of both."

"Unless the base is even bigger than we think, there's still a long way to get through the moon to that crevasse."

"The lights indicate the atmosphere on the other side matches it here, so it should be safe."


He grabs one of the levers and moves it to the 'open' or 'unlock' position.
Harry McStubbin
 Player, 509 posts
 Human pain in the ass
 898BA7
Wed 3 Feb 2021
at 21:44
Re: Destination: Foreven
In reply to Arlo Thresh (msg # 262):

Harry readies and awaits the door to open. Weapon at the ready just in case, light shining.
Roland Steel
 NPC Crew, 219 posts
 Engineer
 69C975
Thu 4 Feb 2021
at 18:45
Re: Destination: Foreven
In reply to Harry McStubbin (msg # 263):

Roland headed down to join Harry and Arlo and whoever else went down. He had recording and photographing equipment to document what they found. He kept his comms and cameras rolling and sending everything to the ship.