Destination: Foreven.   Posted by StarMaster.Group: 0
StarMaster
 GM, 601 posts
 Referee
Wed 22 Apr 2020
at 16:33
Destination: Foreven
When Harry had been looking at the computer screens, he'd discovered a section of the display that he'd never seen before. For that matter, no one else had, either.

It was a dynamic display, and he can see the corner button that 'turned it off'. In retrospect, it kind of made sense: what did a restaurant need with shields? It wasn't until the ship took fire that automatic protocols brought it online again. Of course, if anyone had known it was there, they could have activated it at any time.

Since it seems perfectly integrated into the existence display, it probably means it was of original Darrian design.

He had a brief chance to calculate the readings... it would seem to translate into a 20-point shield. Not all that impressive, but effective against light weapons.
Harry McStubbin
 Player, 372 posts
 Human pain in the ass
 898BA7
Fri 24 Apr 2020
at 13:54
Destination: Foreven
Harry rotates the turret to point at the Federation of Arden ships as they accelerate. Holding his fire until they are fired on.
Siyeon Lee
 player, 33 posts
 Celebrity
Sun 26 Apr 2020
at 23:34
Destination: Foreven
She certainly wasn't going to be of much help on the bridge, and she certainly didn't want to get in the way, but she hating not knowing what was going on!

Fortunately, the ship's evasive maneuvering didn't over-extend the inertial compensators... or whatever the system was called really. Technical terminology nearly bored her to tears... ooo... maybe there was a song in there?

She hurried to the bridge, making sure she stayed out of everyone else's way.

"Nothing like this happens in the recording studio!" she quips as she watches the viewscreen.
Luise Wechsler
 player, 163 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Wed 29 Apr 2020
at 16:45
Destination: Foreven
"Fraggin' crappola!" Luise swears. "Damned if we do, damned if we don't!"

"Since we're wanting to put into port here, if we managed to avoid the Arden ships, not sure we'd be particularly welcome on Tremous Dex. Don't know shrap about these damned shields, and I'm sure they'll cut out just when we need them, but as long as we've got them, let's put them to use. Harry, target the nearest Arden ship and fire when you have a solution!"

"Gahler, we're going from evasive defense to an aggressive attack run. I sure hope you know how to do that!"


She then activates the ship's intercom.

"Attention all hands! We're going into combat! Man your battle stations and buckle up!"
Harry McStubbin
 Player, 373 posts
 Human pain in the ass
 898BA7
Wed 29 Apr 2020
at 17:09
Destination: Foreven
"Firing Captain!"

13:08, Today: Harry McStubbin rolled 8 using 2d6+4 with rolls of 3,1.  to hit.
'Forge' Harris
 player, 24 posts
 Security
Wed 29 Apr 2020
at 19:02
Destination: Foreven
Forge headed to the bridge to provide security.
StarMaster
 GM, 602 posts
 Referee
Tue 12 May 2020
at 20:14
Destination: Foreven
Harry manages to hit one of the 'enemy' ships, but he has no idea how much damage he's done. Just as Forge reaches the Bridge, the Bandersnatch takes another hit but the shields seem to have absorbed it as all that anyone feels inside is a slight shudder.

Having realized that the Bandersnatch has some sort of defensive shield, two of the enemy ships start to converge on it. Harry, not wanting to be caught in a double-team, fires again at one of the ships.

15:34, Today: StarMaster, on behalf of Harry McStubbin, rolled 11 using 2d6+4 ((1,6)).

This time, he makes an even better hit. The other ship blurs for a minute before suddenly exploding.

The second ship manages to hit the Bandersnatch again, but, like last time, it only produces a shudder.

Perhaps realizing that they are now outmatched, the remaining enemy ships turn tail and run. In two minutes, they vanish into J-space.
Steve Cable
 NPC in Memoriam, 374 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Tue 12 May 2020
at 20:22
Destination: Foreven
After determining that the running space battle was over, Steve steps onto the bridge.

"What's this bull about our ship having shields?" he asks. "There's no such thing!"
'Forge' Harris
 player, 25 posts
 Security
Tue 12 May 2020
at 23:11
Destination: Foreven
Forge shook his head laughing at the comment. "At least we are finding out about it when we need it the most."
Harry McStubbin
 Player, 375 posts
 Human pain in the ass
 898BA7
Sun 17 May 2020
at 14:44
Destination: Foreven
In reply to 'Forge' Harris (msg # 48):

"Keep lasers manned or stand down now?" Harry asked the captain.
Luise Wechsler
 player, 164 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Sun 17 May 2020
at 18:39
Destination: Foreven
"Stay on the lasers for now," Luise replies to Harry. "And someone find out what's up with these impossible shields! I've heard of black globes, but this is... hell, I don't know what this is. That's what I want to KNOW!"

"Meanwhile, I'll talk to our... hosts."


She switches the comms over to external broadcast.

"Hello, Captain Zarn. I'm Baroness Luise Wechsler. We're half far trader, half explorer, on our way to Foreven Sector. I apologize for crashing your little space battle party. Hope we didn't do any lasting harm."

"And, if you don't mind me asking, just who the hell is the Federation of Arden? Never heard of them where we came from."

StarMaster
 GM, 604 posts
 Referee
Thu 21 May 2020
at 17:56
Destination: Foreven
==COMMS: "The Federation of Arden is a nearby system that has embarked on a program of expansion," Captain Zarn replies.

"I doubt if your assistance will deter them for long. They'll only come back with a great force."

"However, next time, we'll be ready for them."

"We thank you for that assistance, though. It will give us time. You are welcome to land on Tremous Dex and refuel your ship, resupply and engage in trade."
:COMMS ==
Harry McStubbin
 Player, 377 posts
 Human pain in the ass
 898BA7
Mon 25 May 2020
at 15:30
Destination: Foreven
Harry continues to be at the ready at his station, waiting for the stand down order now that the enemy fled. "Shoot any Arden ship that approaches I assume? Can't wait to land! Woot, got me one!"
Roland Steel
 NPC Crew, 177 posts
 Engineer
 69C975
Mon 25 May 2020
at 15:33
Destination: Foreven
Roland was in his vacc-suit with his weapon ready to defend the ship if boarded, he was visibly more relaxed now that the enemy ran away.
Luise Wechsler
 player, 165 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Tue 26 May 2020
at 15:31
Destination: Foreven
==COMMS: "Thank you, Captain Zarn. We'll do just that," Luise replies. "We can hold position a bit longer if needed." :COMMS==

When assured that there are no other Arden ships remaining in the system, she signs off.

Back on the ship's intercoms, she makes some new statements.

"Everybody can stand down now. The attackers have left the system."

"Gahler, set a course for Tremous Dex downport. Standard protocols should be in effect."

"Roland! Damage report! And as soon as we land on the planet, see what you can find out about our non-existent 'shields'."

"Arc, have we got any casualties? Make sure everybody's okay before we get to Tremous Dex."

"Harry, you might as well check the Net to see if there's anything to trade, particularly to the next leg of our journey."

"Steve, Forge, Oen-kek... prepare to repel boarders when we land... just in case they want the secret of our shields... which we don't have. Unless Roland can figure something out about them, in which case, we could possible trade that secret."

"Siyeon, you might as well tune in to the planet's music and see if you've got a market here."

"Adriannah, maybe you can assist Harry in his trade dealings."

"Luise out."

Roland Steel
 NPC Crew, 178 posts
 Engineer
 69C975
Tue 26 May 2020
at 15:38
Destination: Foreven
Roland goes about checking damage control, the shields came up so quick, there was no real damage. He wondered if the Darrians knew they scrapped shields into a restaurant!
Harry McStubbin
 Player, 378 posts
 Human pain in the ass
 898BA7
Tue 26 May 2020
at 15:40
Destination: Foreven
Harry hooks into the local Trader's Guildhall to see if he could find a cargo headed to their next destination, Adriannah could work on selling the one they had first, then join in looking for a new one.
Arc Tangent
 Player, 90 posts
Thu 4 Jun 2020
at 16:18
Destination: Foreven
"Forge is doing a head count," Arc reports to the bridge, "but so far, only a bump on the head to Adriannah. Nothing serious that I can tell, but I'll keep an eye on her for a bit. Head wounds are always tricky since the brain gets sloshed around inside the cranium. If she shows any signs, I'll put her in the med bay for an MRI and sonogram. Arc out."
Luise Wechsler
 player, 166 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Thu 4 Jun 2020
at 16:24
Destination: Foreven
"If anyone has any interest in checking out the starport or planet, or doing a bit of shopping, just let me know," Luise announced. "I'm thinking, though, that we should employ the buddy system when leaving the ship."

"There might be Arden spies or sympathizers or advocates or even Fifth Columnists on planet. I'm sure word of our little exploit will be buzzing around the starport by the time we land."

"So, everyone... stay alert."

Harry McStubbin
 Player, 386 posts
 Human pain in the ass
 898BA7
Sun 14 Jun 2020
at 12:29
Destination: Foreven
Harry made his way back to the bridge to stand watch.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:12, Sun 14 June 2020.

StarMaster
 GM, 609 posts
 Referee
Sun 14 Jun 2020
at 17:38
Destination: Foreven
The ship continues to head inward towards the planet. While there aren't any space fireworks welcoming the crew, the ship does get priority clearance, though, considering the space traffic (or lack of), that's not such a big deal.

An inbound vector is transmitted to the ship, Gahler sets course and within an hour, the ship lands at the downport.
'Forge' Harris
 player, 36 posts
 Security
Sun 14 Jun 2020
at 19:11
Destination: Foreven
"If anyone needs a bodyguard, let me know." Forge said, still in armor from the warm reception the vessel received.
Harry McStubbin
 Player, 388 posts
 Human pain in the ass
 898BA7
Sun 14 Jun 2020
at 19:15
Destination: Foreven
In reply to 'Forge' Harris (msg # 61):

"Stand by to protect the ship Forge, with Arden attacking us as we entered space here, there may be fifth columnists waiting to disrupt the starport. We need to be on alert while we are here."

This message was last edited by the player at 19:16, Sun 14 June 2020.

'Forge' Harris
 player, 37 posts
 Security
Sun 14 Jun 2020
at 20:52
Destination: Foreven
"Got it." Forge said "Maybe the next destination might be less hostile."
Steve Cable
 NPC in Memoriam, 375 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Sun 14 Jun 2020
at 21:00
Destination: Foreven
"Yeah, we opened a can of worms with those shields," Steve chimes in.

"The only reason we were attacked is because we came out of jump in the middle of the battle, and we only did that because we didn't come in on a standard jump route."

"On the one hand, I find it strange that we weren't told about the shields. Then again, it's possible that the previous owner didn't know about them either. After all, how many times did his restaurant get shot at by a spaceship?"