Destination: Foreven.   Posted by StarMaster.Group: 0
Arc Tangent
 Player, 93 posts
Tue 18 Aug 2020
at 16:36
Re: Destination: Foreven
"Sounds like a plan, Forge!" Arc says.

"Have you got a particular area in mind that might want to focus on? There's always a debate about whether Jump-Drive or Life Support is the most important. If your Jump-Drive malfunctions or breaks down, you could wind up in the middle of nowhere, and it would take you years to get somewhere survivable. No one's life support lasts that long."

"The argument for Life Support is that you have to stay alive long enough to get somewhere or else get rescued."

"Always reminds me of the old 'glass half full vs. glass half empty' routine. Both miss the point--the glass is refillable! Ha-ha-ha."

"Well, I'm going to continue my studies in biology, and then I think I'll switch to sensors... to fill out my suite of electronics skills."

"Speaking of which, does anyone have Remote Operations?"

Harry McStubbin
 Player, 446 posts
 Human pain in the ass
 898BA7
Tue 18 Aug 2020
at 16:46
Re: Destination: Foreven
In reply to Arc Tangent (msg # 140):

"I don't have Remote Ops. Arc. Roland is currently working on his J Drive proficiency. I plan on getting some little helpers in Engineering and clean up duty. I'm going to build some robots when I can afford to. Need some Electronic skill to for that I guess, as well as remote ops."

"Getting someone else with Life Support would be good, Roland can't do it all.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:35, Tue 18 Aug 2020.

Steve Cable
 NPC in Memoriam, 377 posts
 ex-Scout
 Salvage Hunter
Tue 18 Aug 2020
at 17:35
Re: Destination: Foreven
"That's true of just about everyone," Steve comments.

"Even if someone is trained in all the Electronics fields, if more than one system needs repaired at the same time, it takes more than one person."

"I'm going to work on my Astrogation skill and then maybe how to be stealthy."

Roland Steel
 NPC Crew, 198 posts
 Engineer
 69C975
Tue 18 Aug 2020
at 17:50
Re: Destination: Foreven
In reply to Steve Cable (msg # 142):

"Excellent Steve, I just want to be the best engineer ever!

I guess Adriannah decided it wasn't for her, Hey Adri, what skills you going to learn?"

This message was last edited by the player at 18:18, Tue 18 Aug 2020.

Adriannah Orilliah
 player, 127 posts
Tue 18 Aug 2020
at 19:33
Re: Destination: Foreven
Adriannah listens to the chatter asbout skills, which sounds like wishful thinking I'll be improving the skills I have.
Harry McStubbin
 Player, 449 posts
 Human pain in the ass
 898BA7
Wed 19 Aug 2020
at 15:54
Re: Destination: Foreven
In reply to Adriannah Orilliah (msg # 144):

"Good, you'll be an expert at everything you know then, thats good. We have enough jacks of all trades masters of none."
Adriannah Orilliah
 player, 128 posts
Wed 19 Aug 2020
at 20:42
Re: Destination: Foreven
In reply to Harry McStubbin (msg # 145):

Oh great another of 'those' types... thought Adriannah as she headed to the galley for a cuppa.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:05, Thu 20 Aug 2020.

StarMaster
 GM, 626 posts
 Referee
Thu 20 Aug 2020
at 22:51
Re: Destination: Foreven
The first week passes uneventfully; no one kills anyone else in the crew.

The ship drops out of J-space at the 100-diameter limit of Edinina's small gas giant, Karimissaak. According to the astrogation data, Edinina's eccentric orbit carries it through the gas giant's ring about 3 times a year. At this time, it's at apogee, and Karimissaak is at aphelion around the binary star. It makes astrogation rather tricky, but even a minor misjump doesn't tend to be dangerous.

There's almost nothing detected here as far as ships or orbital facilities. There's one ore hauler in orbit, and a small mining facility on the planet.

Skimming the gas giant to refuel also proceeds uneventfully. It's soon time to jump again... onward to Quare.

And you're stuck with each other for another week!
Harry McStubbin
 Player, 451 posts
 Human pain in the ass
 898BA7
Fri 21 Aug 2020
at 13:29
Re: Destination: Foreven
"Halfway to Foreven! Quare next. Sale our cargo and refresh our stores! My cigars are getting low as is my Brandy. Anyone need to do any shopping on Quare while we sale our cargo and find a new one. Mail and some speculative would be nice."
Gahler Grohlson
 Player, 343 posts
 Retired Merchant
 797997
Sat 22 Aug 2020
at 04:48
Re: Destination: Foreven
"Quare looks like a good place to test of my vacc suit katas and drills.  It's 100 percent hard vacuum, just like funky cold Edinina," Gahler said as he looked over the world data for their next stop.  "Only they've got a lot more people there."
Harry McStubbin
 Player, 452 posts
 Human pain in the ass
 898BA7
Mon 24 Aug 2020
at 13:00
Re: Destination: Foreven
Harry and Roland continue to work on their skills to get in their two weeks of training before test time on the computer. Learning a skill was tough, practice, practice, practice, read and test. It was quite thorough!
'Forge' Harris
 player, 45 posts
 Security
Mon 24 Aug 2020
at 22:43
Re: Destination: Foreven
Forge was busy studying for the engineering test, when he was not busy learning the various components.
Arc Tangent
 Player, 94 posts
Tue 25 Aug 2020
at 01:42
Re: Destination: Foreven
Arc continues his studies as well. He tries extra hard not to hope that something goes wrong... just something minor to break up the monotonous routine... maybe change a light bulb or something.

"Wonder if we'll pick up any new data at Quare?" he asked idly at meal time.
Harry McStubbin
 Player, 453 posts
 Human pain in the ass
 898BA7
Tue 25 Aug 2020
at 13:44
Re: Destination: Foreven
Harry goes about his job very professionally, he began studying ahead for their next destination to see what might sell, not knowing enough. He had no problem consulting Adriannah, she was smart and beautiful. He enjoyed her company, he hoped she enjoyed his, but was less than sure about that.

Harry looked Thanbar up in the library as it was next after Quare. Mail would be safe so would a standard shipped cargo. They didn't have to speculate all the time, though it equated to a higher profit if all went well. They could lose money too.
Adriannah Orilliah
 player, 129 posts
Wed 26 Aug 2020
at 01:02
Re: Destination: Foreven
Listening to Harry her opinion about Aspects, Market trends and such of the various destinations, prompted a smile. She was able to keep up with his speculations, albeit some of the nuances of his findings required consideration, being derived from Brokering knowledge & abilities which surpassed her own megar capability.
Harry McStubbin
 Player, 454 posts
 Human pain in the ass
 898BA7
Thu 27 Aug 2020
at 16:36
Re: Destination: Foreven
In reply to Adriannah Orilliah (msg # 154):

"What do you think Adriannah, speculate, or just carry standard cargo until we get where we're going? I can barely wait to see what the Foreven Subsector will hold for us. The Zhodani are there too so we need to be careful.""
Adriannah Orilliah
 player, 130 posts
Thu 27 Aug 2020
at 20:44
Re: Destination: Foreven
In reply to Harry McStubbin (msg # 155):

Humm... which should it be, In for a... or Look before... Your much more able to determine the better option. 
Harry McStubbin
 Player, 455 posts
 Human pain in the ass
 898BA7
Fri 28 Aug 2020
at 12:39
Re: Destination: Foreven
In reply to Adriannah Orilliah (msg # 156):

"Ahhhh, but I'm delegating my authority and leaving it to you. If you trust yourself? Suggestions, Let's hear what you think."
Adriannah Orilliah
 player, 131 posts
Fri 28 Aug 2020
at 14:45
Re: Destination: Foreven
In reply to Harry McStubbin (msg # 157):

Adriannah gives a chuckle and shake of her head. How is that men think they have such authority. Well that's a fine how do you do. she commented  fixing Harry with an inquisitive eye. Did you clear that with your boss

This message was last edited by the player at 14:46, Fri 28 Aug 2020.

Harry McStubbin
 Player, 456 posts
 Human pain in the ass
 898BA7
Fri 28 Aug 2020
at 14:48
Re: Destination: Foreven
In reply to Adriannah Orilliah (msg # 158):

"I'm the broker, I make the decision on this. I accept input from the captain, and obey on all other things, but this is mine and I'm trying to teach it to you as well. Sometimes and education is expensive, sometimes not so much. We can speculate a cargo and risk losing money or breaking even, or we can carry freight and get paid a fixed amount of profit."
Adriannah Orilliah
 player, 132 posts
Fri 28 Aug 2020
at 19:58
Re: Destination: Foreven
In reply to Harry McStubbin (msg # 159):

Interesting how you are using a  randomization methodology. Deciding to facilitate this process Adriannah steps over to the screen, closes her eyes and carefully rests her thumb  and index finger on the screen.  Glancing at where they are resting she reads off what indicated.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:13, Fri 04 Sept 2020.

Harry McStubbin
 Player, 457 posts
 Human pain in the ass
 898BA7
Fri 4 Sep 2020
at 14:33
Re: Destination: Foreven
"I feel like I'm spinning my wheels here."
Luise Wechsler
 player, 171 posts
 Admin/Broker
 67999C
Sat 5 Sep 2020
at 00:10
Re: Destination: Foreven
"You are probably right, Harry," Luise responds.

"Freight from Quare to Thanber is the best bet. Thanber is a corporate world with no atmosphere, as Forge said. Well, faint and tainted. Not much population."

"They are either living in domes on the surface or underground."

"Mining is the major industry there, but there's also a major terraforming project underway."

"There's just not a big enough population and trade base for speculative cargo to be profitable, particularly with the high import tariffs"

"On the other hand, some luxuries might be good, some staples like toilet paper, and water is definitely needed. We might even consider donating that."

"We'll have to see what kind of freight is getting shipped."

Harry McStubbin
 Player, 458 posts
 Human pain in the ass
 898BA7
Sat 5 Sep 2020
at 12:43
Re: Destination: Foreven
In reply to Luise Wechsler (msg # 162):

"Never kill us to donate a hold of water and TP."
Adriannah Orilliah
 player, 133 posts
Sat 5 Sep 2020
at 16:08
Re: Destination: Foreven
Adriannah gives a shrug then heads back to her cabin.