The River Severn.   Posted by Swimdoll.Group: 0
Father Rys
 player, 63 posts
Wed 3 Nov 2004
at 01:47
Re: Jeremiah's Cave...
Sir Pedivere:
The knight inclines his head to the priest with respect.  "I have asked for Sir Ector to have the same information relayed to your superiors."

Fr. Rys returns Sir Pedivere's nod. My thanks Sir Knight
Swimdoll
 GM, 150 posts
 A DM for the first time,
 bear with me!
Wed 3 Nov 2004
at 03:47
Re: Jeremiah's Cave...
  Lady Maeve accepts the letter and sets it atop the boulder that Jeremiah so recently occupied.  Her form begins to shimmer before it shrinks in size, with her arms growing outward and feathering in fractions of a second.  Flapping powerful wings, an eagle beat its wings in the midst of the group before the parchment resting atop the rock was snatched up.  With a cry she flapped her wings and quickly rose into the sky, heading east for the hold of Sir Ector, leaving the remainder of the party behind...
Sir Pedivere
 player, 73 posts
 A brash young knight
 Love, honour and glory
Wed 3 Nov 2004
at 04:26
Re: Jeremiah's Cave...
Somewhat taken aback by the transformation of Lady Maeve, Pedivere took a moment before acting.  "Very well, Aeron we shall leave shortly.  All, gather your belongings, we go to find a dragon!"
Father Rys
 player, 64 posts
Wed 3 Nov 2004
at 11:24
Re: Jeremiah's Cave...
Fr. Rys wathces Lady Maeve's transformation with interest. After she has flown away.

An interesting ability that

To Sir Pedivere, A dragon? I thought first we went to find a wizard? Then on to a dragon if he gives us the information needed.

Regardless, Fr. Rys begins to pack up his belongings and secure them to his horse.
Aeron Cadwalader
 player, 21 posts
 A laughing fellow
 with a quick wit
Wed 3 Nov 2004
at 12:21
Re: Jeremiah's Cave...
Aeron perks up at his name, sticking his stick frustratedly headfirst into a belt pouch.  Ok so lets go, um, east, or was it west.  Oh don't worry about that I know the way even if I don't know the name of the way.  Just follow me and my trusty steed.  Isn't he galliant?

Aeron begins leading his pack laden donkey off in a direction seemingly at random.
Father Rys
 player, 65 posts
Wed 3 Nov 2004
at 15:49
Re: Jeremiah's Cave...
Upon seeing the fool just start heading off, Fr. Rys says to himself I sure hope that fool knows where he's going. Well, must have faith. Fr. Rys finishes his packing, mounts his horse and follows after the fool.
Calis
 player, 54 posts
 A wandering minstrel,
 slight and dark haired
Wed 3 Nov 2004
at 18:23
Re: Jeremiah's Cave...
Calis watched the other follower of the Old Ones with interest, sighed, and shook his head. As he climbed up onto his horse again, he muttered, "Some day...." Shaking off his thoughts he waited and watched the others and followed them when they started to head out.
Sir Pedivere
 player, 74 posts
 A brash young knight
 Love, honour and glory
Wed 3 Nov 2004
at 22:45
Re: Jeremiah's Cave...
"Yes father, first the man, but ultimately a dragon."

Mounting his mighty destrier, Pedivere follows the fool, Aeron.
Swimdoll
 GM, 151 posts
 A DM for the first time,
 bear with me!
Thu 4 Nov 2004
at 00:19
On the trail again...
The clearing around Jeremiah's cave was quickly left behind as Aeron lead the group from atop his sturdy and loyal grey donkey, the little animal occasionally braying and tossing its head as he urged him forward.  The fool seemed to carrying on a 3 way conversation with his animal, and his jester's sceptre.  For a while it seemed as if it would turn violent, but the donkey seemed to have talked the other two out of coming to blows.

    Aeron moved down deer paths and up over the summitt of the hill that Jeremiah's home was built into.  Reaching the top, the party could see that the hill tops got progressively higher as they moved westward, towards the sun.
    The underbrush was lush and thick with the summer's warmth, ferns and shrubs were covered in green foliage, and the afternoon shade beneath the overhead canopy was cool.  Birds flitted in the trees and squirrels skittered about out of sight but ever present.
     The party crossed slow moving streams and moved around fallen trees.  They found themselves in off beaten areas where only animals and the occasional forrester may wander.  As the sun began to dip behind the mountains, the shadows lengthened and deepened.  The party had only begun to ascend the first mountain when it became harder and harder to see the trail.  Aeron continued to know the way, but directing his animal around any holes or rocks along the way became increasingly difficult to see.

     The decision was made to make camp and watches were set.  Colm quickly built a fire and brought some cheer to the shadowy bivouac.  Calis and Aeron took turns entertaining the group while Chrissa called upon blessings to feed them all.  It was a pleasant scene and a restful one.
     The night passed without incident and the party quickly regained the trail under Aeron's guidance.  He lead the to the top of the mountain and from there, the wizard's tower could be seen.
      It sat tucked atop a gnoll in the valley below.  It starkly contrasted with the wilds around it.  Squat and round with an offshooting stone building, the tower was the only man-made object in sight.
     Ducking back into the shade, the group negotiated its way downward, Aeron's directions seemingly correct.
Sir Pedivere
 player, 75 posts
 A brash young knight
 Love, honour and glory
Thu 4 Nov 2004
at 01:50
Re: On the trail again...
"Good, good.  Let us proceed, but be wary, I have heard many tales of wizards, most of them from you dear friend.  Let us pray that this wielder of magic is willing to talk."
Aeron Cadwalader
 player, 22 posts
 A laughing fellow
 with a quick wit
Thu 4 Nov 2004
at 02:44
Re: On the trail again...
Aeron commenst, Aye Sir Pedivere, wizards are a stern lot.  Not unlike most knights.  You just got to figure out how to make em laugh.  Sometimes it is funny too as when they start laughing sparrows start flying out of their ears, and stardust shoots from their noses.  Did you know wizards can have more than one?  Noses that is....
Calis
 player, 55 posts
 A wandering minstrel,
 slight and dark haired
Thu 4 Nov 2004
at 04:59
Re: On the trail again...
Calis chuckled at the words he listened to. "I once saw a two headed cow, but I have never seen a two nosed wizard," he remarked with a grin.
Colm MacTyre
 player, 31 posts
 A forlorn Irishman with 
 a longbow and a pint!
Thu 4 Nov 2004
at 13:08
Re: On the trail again...
Colm couldn't help laugh at the fool's comment.  Being naturally supersitious, though, he did not view wizards as laughing matters.  Even Merlin gave him the creeps.  He comments to the fool <font color=cyan>Hmmmm if thats all he does, we'll be better for it.  Aye say we get in, get our information and get out.  </font> he says with a scowl, shifting nervously in his saddle.
Father Rys
 player, 66 posts
Thu 4 Nov 2004
at 13:14
The wizard
Sir Knight, as the King's duly appointed person on this quest, will you be heading the discussion with Fiallan?
Chrissa
 player, 36 posts
Thu 4 Nov 2004
at 17:54
Re: The wizard
As they approach the floor of the valley, Chrissa starts to look somewhat preoccupied,  examining her surroundings with a thoughtful expression.

Eventually, she murmurs, half to herself...

"'If the Lord had not holpen me, my soule had almost dwelt in silence...'"

Finally, she stops, raising a hand to halt her companions.

"Please stop for a moment, and listen.  It seems quiet here, as we approach the valley floor.  Perhaps too quiet.  Where are the usual sounds of wildlife?  It seems to me that they have slowly disappeared as we have progressed downward."

"And... do not yonder tent caterpillar nests seem unusually large?"

Sir Pedivere
 player, 76 posts
 A brash young knight
 Love, honour and glory
Thu 4 Nov 2004
at 22:42
Re: The wizard
When Chrissa speaks, Pedivere pauses, lowering his visor and hefting his lance from its seated resting place.  "Colm is there a problem here?  I do not detect fault with the woods, though of course, woodsman I am not.  Chrissa, what is it that you have spied?"
Colm MacTyre
 player, 32 posts
 A forlorn Irishman with 
 a longbow and a pint!
Sat 6 Nov 2004
at 17:19
Re: The wizard
Sir Pedivere:
When Chrissa speaks, Pedivere pauses, lowering his visor and hefting his lance from its seated resting place.  "Colm is there a problem here?  I do not detect fault with the woods, though of course, woodsman I am not.  Chrissa, what is it that you have spied?"


OCC:  Sir Pedivere.  I'm not ignoring you, but I'm waiting on an email from SwimDoll for clarificaiton.
Swimdoll
 GM, 153 posts
 A DM for the first time,
 bear with me!
Sat 6 Nov 2004
at 19:57
Re: The wizard
  As the party reaches the valley floor, Colm and Chrissa both point out how quiet their surroundings have become.  Pointing up into the tree tops strands of silk can be recognized.  They are quickly identified as webs, larger than any normal tent catterpillar could create.  They are all around the party on either side, in back and forward in the direction they are travelling.  The normal chirping of birds and skittering of small mammals in the underbrush is curiously absent, only the slight breeze that blows along the valley flow and rustles the leafs creates any sound.
   The wizard's tower is only a few hundred metres away, in a large meadow.  The open area of sunlight becomes that much more attractive in the quiet of the shade in which they all ride...
Colm MacTyre
 player, 33 posts
 A forlorn Irishman with 
 a longbow and a pint!
Sat 6 Nov 2004
at 23:43
Re: The wizard
Swimdoll:
  As the party reaches the valley floor, Colm and Chrissa both point out how quiet their surroundings have become.  Pointing up into the tree tops strands of silk can be recognized.  They are quickly identified as webs, larger than any normal tent catterpillar could create.  They are all around the party on either side, in back and forward in the direction they are travelling.  The normal chirping of birds and skittering of small mammals in the underbrush is curiously absent, only the slight breeze that blows along the valley flow and rustles the leafs creates any sound.
   The wizard's tower is only a few hundred metres away, in a large meadow.  The open area of sunlight becomes that much more attractive in the quiet of the shade in which they all ride...


Colm shifts in his saddle uncomfortably, and quickly unslings his bow and knocks an arrow.  In as few a words as possible Sir Knight... there be predators about.  We ad best be wary.  His eyes dart from side to side and up into the trees.
Calis
 player, 57 posts
 A wandering minstrel,
 slight and dark haired
Sun 7 Nov 2004
at 02:56
Re: The wizard
Hearing the words of his companions, Calis's hand tightened on the sickle that hung from his belt before also moving to touch the club. With a look around, he finally settled on the curved bladed weapon but he didn't draw it off his belt until he was sure it was needed because they might have to ride quickly and riding one handed wasn't wise.
Sir Pedivere
 player, 77 posts
 A brash young knight
 Love, honour and glory
Sun 7 Nov 2004
at 21:34
Re: The wizard
Pedivere urges his steed to the middle of the group, taking a flanking position so that he can move to either end should trouble arise.  "Let us continue forward, Colm where are they most likely to attack from?"
Colm MacTyre
 player, 35 posts
 A forlorn Irishman with 
 a longbow and a pint!
Sun 7 Nov 2004
at 23:18
Re: The wizard
Sir Pedivere:
Pedivere urges his steed to the middle of the group, taking a flanking position so that he can move to either end should trouble arise.  "Let us continue forward, Colm where are they most likely to attack from?"


Well, Sir, I don' know exactly, I'm only comment'n that the sudden lack off all critters and the strange quietness of this place, makes me confiden' that ther are predetors about.  Somethin' nasty.  Infn' I had a guess he glances and points at the giant webs in the trees, They'll be hidin' in the trees, trying to trap us with webs n the like.  We may fin' rselves trapped as flies.
Sir Pedivere
 player, 78 posts
 A brash young knight
 Love, honour and glory
Sun 7 Nov 2004
at 23:24
Re: The wizard
"If we are attacked, Chrissa, Calis, Aeron and Father Rys, make for the tower as quickly as possible.  Colm, you and I will attempt to force the retreat for the others.  Then, as soon as you can, make for the tower yourself and I will rearguard for you.

"Though,"
he continues, "let us pray that we will not be beset."
Colm MacTyre
 player, 36 posts
 A forlorn Irishman with 
 a longbow and a pint!
Mon 8 Nov 2004
at 02:01
Re: The wizard
Sir Pedivere:
"If we are attacked, Chrissa, Calis, Aeron and Father Rys, make for the tower as quickly as possible.  Colm, you and I will attempt to force the retreat for the others.  Then, as soon as you can, make for the tower yourself and I will rearguard for you.

"Though,"
he continues, "let us pray that we will not be beset."


Aye, tho' If needs be we flee, I like your plan but, I would add one more thing.  As you said, you can cover' my retreat some distance from the battle.  From this distance, ye need no' stan' alone. I can cover your retreat with my bow, thus we may aid one another and save ar' mates, also.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:11, Mon 08 Nov 2004.

Sir Pedivere
 player, 79 posts
Mon 8 Nov 2004
at 02:38
Re: The wizard

This message was deleted by the player at 02:39, Mon 08 Nov 2004.