Zedian Forest.   Posted by GM.Group: 0
Niko
 player, 10 posts
 Sakari Shapeshifter
 Forms: Wolf, Squirrel
Tue 20 May 2014
at 06:01
Re: Zedian Forest
Niko thought about what the hunter said and replied, "Thank you. I will leave you now." The hunter was right, he needed a more human form, and luckily there was one right in front of him. Taking this hunter's form is same to Niko as the hunter taking the wolf's pelt. As the hunter let his guard down, Niko got into a pouncing position, and leaped off the branch toward him.

The second Niko leaves the branch he starts the process of shifting into the wolf. In midair, his eyes burst into hundreds of smaller pinpricks of light that form the outline of the wolf around him, and then in a flash he is the wolf. His dark blue Sakari toga has changed in the flash from a bandana on the squirrel to a larger piece wrapped around his wolf torso, looking a little like a saddle. The lights form together back into his eyes, and this all happens quickly in the second in a half it takes to reach the hunter.

Niko feels himself now the wolf, and just in time to collide with the hunter and knock him over and knocking the wind out of him. He pinned down the hunter and bared his teeth, saying with his Sakari voice, "I will let you live, but I require your form. Tend to the wolf." A spark shines off his paw holding down the hunter's arm, and Niko darts into the nearby woods leaving the hunter lay.

He is limping as he runs, pain stinging from the wounded back leg. He gets as far as he can in thirty seconds before stopping to focus and imprint the hunter's form. When the Sakari gain a form they also gain the injuries while in that form. They heal over time as they normally would, but Niko knows he will always find another form before then, and in these trees he will need to be the squirrel. So he decides to abandon the wolf form and keep the hunter and the squirrel. His eyes grow big and glow bright, within them the image of the wolf morphs into that of the hunter, and then splits into the pinpricks of light as he loses the wolf form. Then quickly reform to the outline of the squirrel once more. With that done, he bounds up a tree and then heads east, jumping again from branch to branch through the trees, and hoping he has an easier time with his next interaction with people.
Niko
 player, 11 posts
 Sakari Shapeshifter
 Forms: Human, Squirrel
Tue 20 May 2014
at 10:25
Re: Zedian Forest
Niko spent the next couple hours heading east. Most of the time he spent in squirrel form, covering ground through the trees. Every so often he would change into the form of the hunter to get used to it. He avoided other creatures for the trip.

When he was a little closer to Forthu, he heard a woman's screaming and went through the trees to investigate. He came across two bandits, one human and one a sort of lizard-man.  The lizard-man is taunting a fancily dressed young woman in a wooden cage and putting a piece of cloth around her mouth to quiet her down. The other is tending a horse that is decorated and saddled way too fine to belong to the bandits.

Not sure what to do to help, but knowing he wants to, he watches them from afar for an opportunity for awhile. Eventually one presents itself. Niko sees lizard-man turn his focus to the second cage, which is much sturdier and made of metal. He sees now that inside is the largest warthog he has ever seen, light brown and nearly six feet long with tusks the size of a man's arm. It has quite a few small cuts on its body, and lizard-man adds a couple more while whipping it with some branches through the metal bars, and the human comes and slaps him to the ground.

The human says, "Dammit Sleek! We's supposed to sell this pig, you idiot! Needs to be alive, and so does the girl! She looks like a fancy-pants rich bitch. A family like hers will pay so much to get her back, but if it turns out to be more trouble than its worth, this pig is worth a few weeks wages." While saying this, the human continues to smack around the lizard-man, Sleek, and Niko uses this distraction to make his move.

Niko studies the cage for a second, and then moves in squirrel form quickly to the back of the boar's cage, squeezing through the bars to make quick contact with the boar and imprint the form. He goes behind the cage where they can't see him and focuses, hoping the bandits stay distracted. A part of him wants to hold on to the squirrel form, but he knows its just familiarity with having used it so much, and getting attached to forms can be dangerous. His looks away from the conflict as his eyes grow brighter and within an image of the squirrel shifts into that of the boar, and his eyes disappear into a hundred small lights forming him into the human hunter.

The hunter form is an average size and build human, with long brown hair and scruffy facial hair. Niko's Sakari Toga forms around him like a tight robe, covering down to just below his knees, and wrapped around him in a way leaving his left shoulder bare. The two bandits look up and the human starts to approach, but they are too late. Niko is at the front of the cage, releasing the lock and opening it. The Boar screeches in a frightening sound of anger and it bursts out and impales the human bandit with its tusks. Sleek laughs a hissing laugh, before the boar turns to him and he runs into the woods in a quick manner, slinking on all fours. The boar follows and suddenly it is eerily quiet after the commotion.

Niko quickly runs over to the woman's cage and frees her. "Don't be afraid, I am going to Forthu and will take you to safety." Scared and barely responsive, she doesn't resist and let's Niko carry her to the horse. "Can you ride?" Niko asks, using the hunter's voice instead of his Sakari voice, and she gives a small timid nod. "I will ride behind you, keeping you safe. Ride at a steady pace, but not too fast. I have never done this."

They got on the horse together, Niko holding on tight with her in front. It was immediately obvious this was her horse and she was very familiar with it. After they rode for awhile both of them relaxed a little, and Niko asks, "May I ask your name?"

This message was last edited by the player at 05:28, Wed 21 May 2014.

GM
 GM, 130 posts
 My word is law.
 But I'm a cool guy :3
Thu 22 May 2014
at 05:17
Re: Zedian Forest


The horse began to move slowly through the heavily wooded area, soon finding a trail of sorts to trot on at a decent pace. Still quiet the girl spoke without turning to look at her savior.

"Lenore. My...my name is Lenore."

She was obviously nervous by the events that happened.

"Who are you?"
Alice
 player, 505 posts
 An orange a day
 keeps the assassins away
Fri 6 Jun 2014
at 13:00
Re: Zedian Forest
(From: Copper District)

There was little difficulty finding the large forest to the south. Alice led the group up to the edge of the trees, then turned and looked back at Choryn. "Well, we're here," she said, her eyes saying something along the lines of "get on with it."

This message was lightly edited by the player at 13:01, Fri 06 June 2014.

Choryn Ghaoughran
 player, 593 posts
 Scout/Ranger/Tracker
 Merc, Contractor
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 00:41
Re: Zedian Forest
Choryn doesn't even bother looking at Alice he examines the treeline.  The edge of the forest is thick with growth Choryn scans up and down the edge of the forest.  After a moment he starts walking to what seems to be an arbitrary point in the trees. "this way." he says quietly slipping into the forest.  Just inside the tree line a very narrow and lightly used game trail appears.  Looking back towards the treeline the trail fans out as a way of concealment.  To Choryn's trained eye various broken limbs and twigs from people moving in and out of the trees stand out like a brightly painted sign.  Looking forward he notes several other locations along the trail with broken branches and the occasional overturned rock, or rotten log.  These guys were good, but six people were an awful lot to keep from leaving signs of passing. Choryn walked up the trail a short distance, staying within sight of the treeline.  Turning his head he quietly says over his shoulder, "This will lead to their camp. Move quietly, and follow.  Stay a stones throw behind me when possible, but do not break line of sight.  Once we find we can move out of earshot and decide on the best course of action."  His dark green cloak and dark clothing almost seamlessly blend into the natural dark colors of the forest. Not waiting for a response he continues down the trail his soft leather boots making hardly and sound at all.
Norick
 player, 49 posts
 Who needs tact when you
 can breathe fire?
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 01:12
Re: Zedian Forest
Contrary to what some may have believed, Norick could actually move fairly quietly when she wanted to. Not as quickly as her smaller-statured companions, at least not on the ground, but it was clear she knew what she was doing. Even if it was just as clear that she didn't like doing it.

Ordinarily, she'd consider spying on the group from the air, but the canopy was too thick for her to reliably see through and be cable to follow six seperate targets that are trying very hard to be sneaky, and her shadow would likely alert them anyway. All things she'd learned from experience. Not that she'd admit it.
Alice
 player, 508 posts
 An orange a day
 keeps the assassins away
Sun 8 Jun 2014
at 03:56
Re: Zedian Forest
Alice briefly considered scaling the nearest tree and following Choryn from above, but that would make too much noise and probably end in her losing track of the group and getting lost...... Not that proceeding alone was usually a problem, but she'd rather wait to be lost and out of her element after she found the target.....

Devious gears whirring within her mind, she silently follows the others.
GM
 GM, 204 posts
 My word is law.
 But I'm a cool guy :3
Sun 8 Jun 2014
at 22:12
Re: Zedian Forest
((OOC: So I totally forgot to consider this, but lets just say that there was a rough sketch of what Zebadiah looks like on the contract.))

As the group followed Choryn's lead through the forest more and more signs of life could be scene. It looked like the group got lazier about covering their tracks as they got farther away from the city. Up ahead a small camp could be seen, composed of a few tents and a camp fire recently lit in the center. Two men were sitting at the campfire, they looked like the mage and the archer described earlier, two standing around on guard, most likely the hired hands. The surrounding brush allowed the group to stay relatively hidden from sigh so long as they didn't do something to draw attention, and besides Custoh and another hired thug not being in sight, it appeared as though they had the drop on their targets.
Norick
 player, 56 posts
 Who needs tact when you
 can breathe fire?
Mon 9 Jun 2014
at 03:49
Re: Zedian Forest
Norick assessed the situation as best she could from her hiding spot behind a tree and some foliage. If what she was seeing was right, then she would have a clear advantage over the Mage, if she could trust her new partners to keep the rest of them busy. Then again, she figured she could take on two or three at a time, perhaps four if she caught them totally off-guard. But then she'd have to kill them, most likely, and any chance of being paid along with it, so…

Besides, if what she heard was true, these traitors deserved a traitor's death; something public and humiliating, preferably. But she was getting ahead of herself.

If she used her natural fire-resistance against the Mage, maybe she could scare them into surrendering. It couldn't hurt, right?

"The Mage is mine," she whispered. "But where's the real target? He has to be nearby…"
Alice
 player, 515 posts
 An orange a day
 keeps the assassins away
Mon 9 Jun 2014
at 03:59
Re: Zedian Forest
"I'll have a look around, I doubt they're far." She backs away from the current position slightly, and slips behind a nearby tree-trunk, so that the campers couldn't see her if they looked her way. She then started racing up the tree's trunk, seemingly ignoring the branches and more obvious handholds so that no part of her would be visible on the way up. Once she started to get to the more densely packed branches, she stopped, positioning herself in such a way that she could rest on the branch but not be seen. She then looks around, scanning the area for any other nearby humanoids.
Choryn Ghaoughran
 player, 597 posts
 Scout/Ranger/Tracker
 Merc, Contractor
Tue 10 Jun 2014
at 04:19
Re: Zedian Forest
Choryn assessed the situation.  These were supposed deserters, while they typically had underworld connections once they deserted though they tended to go dark for a while until the heat had died down.  He did agree with the assessment that the others were somewhere near.  When he considered the options they could wait and risk discovery, but hopefully catch all six with their guard down.  The other option had similar risk and reward, they take out four of the six, and possibly get the location of the other two.  The risk was alerting the target and having him go to ground, while not impossible to find it would make things more difficult. Judging by Norick's comment she was eager for battle already calling a target. He looked at Lavender and made a complex series of hand motions.  Taking a deep breath he says in his normal quiet way his face it's characteristic embarrassed red, "We should wait, set a snare on the trail hope to catch the others when they return and ambush the group when they try and help."
Lavender Isthmus
 player, 21 posts
 Apothacary, Healer
 Companion to Choryn
Tue 10 Jun 2014
at 04:30
Re: Zedian Forest
Lavender had been happy to relax on Choryn's shoulder but once the camp had been sighted she had become more attentive waiting for Choryn's signal.  They'd worked together before and had developed a rudimentary hand and arm signal system.  What he had signed to her was to fly up and take a look around and return quickly.  She flitted up to the tree tops, she wasn't so worried about being seen, most that saw her in the tree tops assumed she was some kind of bird and ignored her.  Seeing Alice climbing the tree she looped to the right staying near the foliage mimicking the flight pattern of a blue bird. She traveled about a quarter of the way around the camp before turning back zipping through the trees at a high rate of speed to report what she sees.  If the information doesn't help she plans to fly around to the other side in hopes of gaining more information.
GM
 GM, 216 posts
 My word is law.
 But I'm a cool guy :3
Thu 12 Jun 2014
at 04:27
Re: Zedian Forest
Lavender couldn't see much, the forest was thick in this area, however, she could tell that the other side of the camp was disturbed in a way that didn't look like simple camp going-on's, if their main mark had gone anywhere, he had probably headed in that direction for whatever reason. The others in the camp still had yet to notice any of the party members.

"I need to take a leak, be back in a bit."

Unfortunately, one of the thugs began to walk towards them, whistling a tune as he moved towards a nearby tree to relieve himself.
Norick
 player, 60 posts
 Who needs tact when you
 can breathe fire?
Thu 12 Jun 2014
at 17:08
Re: Zedian Forest
Norick smiled a bit from behind her tree. Apparently she'd be getting a little excitement early this mission. She just had to make sure she could incapacitate him silently. All she needed was a grip on his neck or face; she was most likely too strong for him to break her hold, even if she couldn't pin his arms.
Choryn Ghaoughran
 player, 602 posts
 Scout/Ranger/Tracker
 Merc, Contractor
Sun 15 Jun 2014
at 23:53
Re: Zedian Forest
The man's words ring out through the forest a loud an abomination to the typical noise of the forest.  Hearing the man headed their direction Choryn immediately decides this is trouble.  Most likely Norick and or Alice will try to do something.  He quickly considers his options and decides that Lavender will have to make the best of the situation.  Taking a few steps into the trees he puts some concealment between him and the man, pulling his dagger.  If the other two don't take any actions he intends to step behind the man and knock him out with the handle.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:54, Sun 15 June 2014.

Lavender Isthmus
 player, 22 posts
 Apothacary, Healer
 Companion to Choryn
Mon 16 Jun 2014
at 00:00
Re: Zedian Forest
Arriving at the meeting point Lavender catches a glimpse of Choryn disappearing into the trees.  She is about the same height in the trees as Alice.  While virtually invisible from below from above and level with it isn't as difficult to spot her.  She assumes if Choryn is taking cover something is up. She stops and alights concealed from the camp a few branches back from Alice waiting to see what's up.
GM
 GM, 225 posts
 My word is law.
 But I'm a cool guy :3
Mon 16 Jun 2014
at 00:49
Re: Zedian Forest
The thug walked over to the tree that Norick was standing behind. He got a sort of weird feeling, like he was being watched...

"Uhg, I hate it out here. Gives me the creeps. Brush looks like its got eyes it does."

Not wanting to spend more time in the forest, he began to drain the lizard and sighed. Finishing, got decent and turned to walk back when he heard a slight russtle from Lavander moving in the tree top. Startled, the thug drew his sword and quickly looked up into the tree, seeing nothing but leaves and shadows.

"Hello? Who's there?"
Alice
 player, 530 posts
 An orange a day
 keeps the assassins away
Mon 16 Jun 2014
at 02:25
Re: Zedian Forest
If Alice hadn't been preoccupied with not giving herself away, she would've turned to glare at Lavender, but she had other things to take care of. Jumping out of the tree at him was likely a bad idea, so she'd have to go with a diversion, and one that wouldn't have "there's someone hiding in the tree" written all over it.

So, cursing her luck, she carefully brought her left hand up to her lips, whistling in her best imitation bird-call. With any luck, the idiot wouldn't know better that the only calls she knew were that of a half-dead city sparrow and a crow. Come to think of it, the latter would've been less likely to attract the campers' attention.....
GM
 GM, 228 posts
 My word is law.
 But I'm a cool guy :3
Thu 19 Jun 2014
at 01:20
Re: Zedian Forest
The sun was beginning to work its way down towards the horizon, and it didn't appear to be on Alice's side. A stray ray of light fell subtly through the leaves and caught the glimmer off the assassin's eye. The thugs mouth fell agape as the eye from the shadows watched him move.

"Intru-!"

Just as he began to yell, the man was cut short by the blunt end of a dagger handle as Choryn took him down. The thug hit the ground with a soft thud, concealed in the ferns below.

"What the..."

The other thug began to move his head around and peer towards the area that his fellow criminal had went to relive himself. A peculiar sound had just made its way towards his ears.

"You alright out there?"

As the thug tried to look for the source of the noise, the two men at the campfire took notice and stood up. The party's element of surprise was slipping from their grasp as the criminal's began to get suspicions.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:05, Thu 19 June 2014.

Choryn Ghaoughran
 player, 604 posts
 Scout/Ranger/Tracker
 Merc, Contractor
Thu 19 Jun 2014
at 04:51
Re: Zedian Forest
The handle of his dagger had satisfyingly robbed the man of any form of consciousness. Hearing the commotion in the camp Choryn quickly grabbed the man dragging him behind a tree and hogtying and gagging him so he couldn't escape or call for help.  Leaving the bait for his trap, he looks at the two women, no time for shyness now, and all business. Pointing to Alice "You muscle and fighters," to Norick "you the mage," pointing to himself he simply said. "I'll offer ranged support this time. Lavender will do her part if we get injured." He figures if Norick wants the mage she must have at least some trick up her sleeves, and Alice he'd seen in a brawl so he knew she could fight multiple opponents.  While he could join in melee, ranged support could be used to discourage the enemy from leaving in a hurry.  Pointing to the drag marks and the unconscious form behind him he said.  "Bait for the trap. Alice there" he said indicating a point off the trail, "Norick here" he said indicating a second point about equidistant on the other side. "I'll be here he says" pointing to a location that forms the 3 into a triangle. Pulling out his bow and checking the string, "On my signal. Also more payment for alive" he says indicating a bow shot, and referencing the fact that typically higher bounties were paid for live targets.  Quickly not much time to hide, he says darting off to a bit off the path but to his appointed location for the ambush quickly concealing himself in the plants and shrubs but maintaining a good field of view.
Norick
 player, 64 posts
 Who needs tact when you
 can breathe fire?
Sat 21 Jun 2014
at 07:27
Re: Zedian Forest
Norick gave a little salute and grin before turning and swiftly running on all fours to the indicated position. Normally, she didn't like taking orders, but at least she was sort of getting what she wanted. She just wished she could show off a bit more, take a few of them on at once. She was good at intimidation tactics.

She quickly found cover at her given position in the undergrowth and waited, coiled like a spring, or a snake.
Alice
 player, 544 posts
 An orange a day
 keeps the assassins away
Sat 21 Jun 2014
at 07:53
Re: Zedian Forest
Alice couldn't really tell what Choryn had been saying, the man always spoke too damn quietly and she couldn't read lips. The fact that he had a plan was apparent by the pointing. He and Norick already had two out of three positions covered. The problem came, however that all the spots Choryn had pointed to were on the ground, and hers was near Captain Captive over there. Wouldn't it make more sense to attack from above while their attention was focused downward?

With this in mind, Alice does her best to both remain unseen and move to somewhere approximately above the man Choryn had incapacitated.
GM
 GM, 236 posts
 My word is law.
 But I'm a cool guy :3
Sat 21 Jun 2014
at 20:48
Re: Zedian Forest
By now the mage and the archer had already drawn their weapons and were focused on the area that their underling was looking at. The archer whistled and nodded to the thug to investigate once he turned around. Nervously, the thug looked between the area he was suppose to investigate and his superior, trying to figure out which one he was more afraid of. He took a deep breath, drew his sword, and began to walk into the brush of the forest.

The thug kept on his nervous advance until he came upon the drag marks. He didn't see any blood, but he didn't see the other man anywhere. His heart pounding, he took up a defensive position and began to look around for anything that looked like trouble.
Choryn Ghaoughran
 player, 612 posts
 Scout/Ranger/Tracker
 Merc, Contractor
Tue 24 Jun 2014
at 04:09
Re: Zedian Forest
Choryn sets and nocks an arrow, though not his strongest suit at this range it was really hard to miss.  The down side was lack of cover from anything the enemy archer shot in his direction. He was the trigger to this mess, thinking quickly he decides to not give away the fact that he has a ranged weapon, from his vantage point it appears the man is roughly next to the captive, hoping Alice is still nearby he reaches down he finds a fist sized rock. Picking it up he ensures he has a clear line on the thug, stepping out of cover smoothly when the man looks away he rears back and lets fly with all his might the rock rocketing towards the center of the man's back.  As he tucks himself behind a tree, he hopes the other will realize what is going on and attack when the man comes his way.  Once behind the tree he turns to watch the mage and archer's reaction.  If they come into the trees he'll cut off their escape back into camp, if not well he'll do something about keeping them entertained and hopefully incapacitated.
Alice
 player, 551 posts
 An orange a day
 keeps the assassins away
Tue 24 Jun 2014
at 05:06
Re: Zedian Forest
Alice took advantage of Choryn's distraction and decided to exit the tree now, before someone else saw her and shot her. She climbed down just enough to keep her weight from being lethal, then jumped at the man beneath her. With any luck, she'd avoid impaling herself on his weapon, take him down, and soften her landing all in one go.