The Iron District.   Posted by GM.Group: 0
Zayden
 player, 1 post
 Human Mage
Mon 19 May 2014
at 21:29
Re: The Iron District
"I'm just looking around, don't worry about me mom." the young mage replied, taking on a more immature attitude than one would expect. He browsed the various shops but nothing really caught his interest. Then he made the mistake of wandering next to a food vendor. The sound of the food sizzling as it cooked caught his attention and the delicious aroma of barbecue attracted a nice crowd. The grilled meat sticks looked devine, especially on an empty stomach, and Zayden couldn't resist for long. Next thing he knew, he was a few coins lighter with four meat sticks in hand and one already half eaten carried in his mouth. He walked back towards his partner and offered her one of the remaining four as they waited for the caravan.
Lilith Sereg
 player, 9 posts
 Blood will Tell
Tue 20 May 2014
at 00:49
Re: The Iron District
Lilith was angry. Her merc band had arrived in Forthu several days before escorting a merchant caravan over the Boulder Pass. Now they heading south toward the Border without her. One of the lesser nobles had offered the band a contract to deliver supplies to an advance base camp and the pay had been quite the pretty penny. He had, however, also specified that under no circumstances would he pay out if any “black magic” was used to get the supplies there. Apparently he was morally opposed to such arts and felt honor bound to impose the restriction on any he hired. The coin had been too good to pass up so the band took the contract and unceremoniously jettisoned Lilith. It was not a slight she would soon forget. “Greedy, spineless dogs.”

At least they had paid her for crossing the Pass so Lilith had enough coin to get by for a little while, longer if she was careful. For now she wandered the Iron District semi aimlessly. Some of the passers-by looked at her curiously but most immediately went back to minding their own business the moment they caught sight of her crimson eyes. The obvious aversion did nothing to improve her mood and caught herself grinding her teeth. With an effort she stopped herself and sighed. “This is going nowhere.
Pol Sevlen
 player, 12 posts
Tue 20 May 2014
at 01:58
Re: The Iron District
Ignoring the indistinct forms past the mess doorway, Pol made her way across the well worn entry and over to the front desk. The heel of her boots clipped against the floorboards at her approach, though Fren didn't seem to be around to notice. However, in her brother's place, there was a thick cream envelope resting on the oak counter top, all but begging for her attention. Picking it up after tucking her gloves into a belt loop, she turned the missive over in her hands so that the wax seal was visible.

"Berweni," she barely mouthed the name, one that was more than passingly familiar, at least in this part of the city. She couldn't recall the last time that the Company had received anything from that particular family. Frowning, she slipped the dirk from her belt and carefully removed the wax, and opened the envelope. Whatever the contents, it was bound to be important, and her fatigue was temporarily brushed aside in favor of unbridled curiosity, as well as a hint of trepidation.
Sahara
 player, 3 posts
 Half-Beast Warrior
Tue 20 May 2014
at 04:16
Re: The Iron District
Sahara simply shook her head at Zayden's childish display; this was not the way she wanted her guild to be seen. She knew how much damage one person could do to a guild's reputation and just how long it could take to fix a bad reputation. Nonetheless, she accepted the peace offering of food since there was nothing better to do while they waited. "You know, this is supposed to be a joint operation but I have no idea who we're gonna team up with." This wasn't really a conversation starter, mainly just her thinking out loud. "Did you find anything interesting other than food?"
Zayden
 player, 2 posts
 Human Mage
Tue 20 May 2014
at 04:33
Re: The Iron District
"Not really." he replied casually before noticing Lilith walk by. He could sense her ability to use magic, feel it emanate off of her but that wasn't why he was interested. He watched her sleek form pass them and his eyes studied this delicate but deadly flower. The daggers at her belt screamed danger but her leather breechers and sleeveless shirt spoke of not so hidden beauty. "Scratch that, now I have. Hold these real quick." he more of demanded as he handed Sahara the meat sticks before she could respond. He wiped his gloves clean and made his way towards Lilith in a rather clumsy fashion as he bumped into a few others in the crowd before catching up with her. "Excuse me miss. I couldn't help but notice you walk by with your daggers and all and me and partner over there are supposed to meet up with some fighters to keep a caravan safe. You wouldn't happen to be one of those fighters would you?" he asked with a smile as he pointed out Sahara when he mentioned her.
GM
 GM, 104 posts
 My word is law.
 But I'm a cool guy :3
Tue 20 May 2014
at 06:18
Re: The Iron District


The letter read as follows,

Pol Sevlen,

   You have undoubtedly just returned from a job in the Pass, an area we know you are familiar with. You must be in these times, after all, with your father acting disgracefully as he did, you are the one leading things around there are you not? In any case, while the others may shun you and your clan, I have an eye for talent. Even if the package deal comes with some undesirables. No offense to your useful members of course. But, I digress. Let us get to business.

   I have a job for you and whoever you want to bring along. I need you to guide a cart through Boulder Pass, and another cart back here to the Iron District. Here's the catch. Recently, deep in Boulder Pass, some creature or another has been picking off caravans practically for sport. The cart you are transporting is empty, and you are to protect its members as they scavenge these destroyed caravans, you may keep some of this loot for yourself of course.

   The Court wants this beast slain, so you will also have some local guild members tagging along, monster hunters. If the beast cannot be slain, you are at least expected to come back with some sort of description that can be used to kill it later, you will only fail if you loose my carts. Although with your knowledge of the area, and the monster hunters expertise, I'm sure you wont have any trouble.

   This job is big, and if you decline it will go on without your help, but if I were you, I'd take it. Helping me is a perfect opportunity to reestablish you and your family's name amongst the other members of the Court in a way that everyone accepts. Once you are rested, head into the Iron District and look for members of the Crusaders of Midas. Bring whoever you want for the journey, but remember, the faster you move through that pass, the lesser the chance of something else preying on you besides this unknown monster.

   I hope to hear of your success, and not of your job refusal.

Sincerely,

   Rotkar Berweni
Pol Sevlen
 player, 18 posts
 Captain of Aschelanzen
Tue 20 May 2014
at 08:49
Re: The Iron District
Nearly crumpling the letter in her fist out of ire, Pol managed to keep her head and set the missive down on the desk. Backhanded as it was, the message spoke of an opportunity that she couldn't...wouldn't allow to slip by. The offer came at an inconvenient time, but the Sevlen name needed the reputation boost that this job would provide, and the Berweni family was in a position to make good on their word.

After last night's disaster, the Aschelanzen could certainly use the job, if only as a recruitment aid. Sir Julen would be sorely missed, but his position would need to be filled one way or another. She would worry about that after this was taken care of, and she'd discussed the matter with Fren. Where was her brother anyway, she wondered, and set out to look for him. He was likely up in his study, since it was still early enough in the day.

Taking the letter with her, Pol made a slight detour, deciding to break the news to Leowen and Kerrick, as they would be accompanying her shortly. The rest of the men were apt to grumble if she put them back on the road so soon. These two were rested and not on assignment, else they wouldn't be hanging around the headquarters so casually. If they didn't want to risk being assigned, they would have been spending the day at the tavern. At least, that's how she saw it.

Fren and Karl would have to take care of Sir Julen after all, though she would see to sending a message to his son before she left to meet up with these monster hunters.
Lilith Sereg
 player, 12 posts
 Blood will Tell
Wed 21 May 2014
at 00:31
Re: The Iron District
Lilith was momentarily caught off guard by being addressed by the man. As he spoke she quickly surmised from his gear that he, too, was a mage and fairly near her in age. Despite the nearness in their ages his enthusiasm made him seem younger. Her hand idly brushed over the hilt of her dagger as he mentioned it. Upon realizing it she loosely crossed her arms across her chest instead. She glanced over at Sahara when the warrior was pointed out and quirked an eyebrow up in interest. Now this is a combination you don't see everyday.

"Unfortunately, I'm not one of the fighters you and your partner are waiting." Lilith briefly paused for a moment before continuing with a half grin. "I am, however, an out of work mercenary looking for a job. If you need an extra blade or spell I know how to handle myself in a fight." She debated momentarily to leaving it at that. If she was going to fight alongside someone though, she would want to know how they fought. "I will warn you, however, I use blood magic. Will that be a problem?" Her words were light and her tone casual, but there was a guarded edge beneath the veneer of easiness.
Zayden
 player, 3 posts
 Human Mage
Wed 21 May 2014
at 05:29
Re: The Iron District
"Blood magic? Shouldn't be a problem. And if you're a mercenary looking for work, what better job than a nice simple escort mission?" Zayden was uncharacteristically enthusiastic. He was clearly smitten with the blood mage and just looking for any excuse to get her to tag along. "We can discuss your pay later, but don't you worry your pretty head; we won't skimp out on you." He grabbed her by the hand and led her towards Sahara, seemingly not realizing how forward such an action was.
Sahara
 player, 4 posts
 Half-Beast Warrior
Wed 21 May 2014
at 05:52
Re: The Iron District
Sahara waved and gave a forced smile when Lilith looked over as Zayden pointed. When Zayden went back to talking with Lilith, Sahara's hand rested on her face and she couldn't help but shake her head and sigh. Zayden's peculiar attitude was not something new to Sahara but it was still the cause of great embarrassment more often than not. She loathed the idea that he was assigned to shadow her for an undetermined amount of time. At first she thought "Oh he's just new. I'm sure he doesn't normally act like this." God, how wrong she was. When she looked up and noticed him bringing over the blood mage, her heart dropped as she quietly wished that her torment would end. "Hi there." she spoke with a surprisingly calm voice, not matching her internal emotional struggle. "I'm assuming my partner here wants you to join us?"
Lilith Sereg
 player, 14 posts
 Blood will Tell
Wed 21 May 2014
at 15:14
Re: The Iron District
Before Lilith could say anything else Zayden had grabbed her hand and was pulling her towards Sahara. It rather surprised her but she followed along with a slightly bemused, but genuine, smile. Internally she let out a small sigh of relief. She had noted the faces of some of the passersby who had been close enough to hear her say she used blood magic and most had not been friendly. Returning her attention to Zayden, she put it out of her mind for the time being. "Just about any job would be fine with me. I despise sitting idle."

As they approached Sahara, Lilith began to get a sense of just how different Zayden and his partner were. The wicked ax she carried along with her stance immediately marked her as a formidable warrior. "He has asked that I accompany you which I'm amenable to, provided you are agreeable as well." Freeing her hand from Zayden she clapped her palms to the fronts of her thighs and gave a slight inclination of her head. "My name is Lilith Sereg, free-lance mercenary."
Zayden
 player, 4 posts
 Human Mage
Thu 22 May 2014
at 05:26
Re: The Iron District
"Oh wow! A mercenary!? That's so cool!" Zayden once again grabbed Lilith's hands and shook them like a madman. "My name's Zayden. And my partner here is Sahara. We're part of the Crusaders of Midas guild, the best monster hunting guild around! Just ask anyone." He let go of the blood mage's hands and retrieved the meat sticks from his partner, offering one to Lilith as he started eating his second one of the day.
GM
 GM, 132 posts
 My word is law.
 But I'm a cool guy :3
Thu 22 May 2014
at 05:36
Re: The Iron District
The Iron District was bustling with activity as various merchants scuttled about selling their wares, and citizens moved around from place to place, shopping, working, and all the other things normal folk did on a clear day like today. As Pol walked about she could see many that looked like they could be warriors, but a few stood out. Standing by a popular meat stand was what looked like a mage and a beast-woman talking with another girl who looked to be some kind of warrior as well.
Lilith Sereg
 player, 18 posts
 Blood will Tell
Fri 23 May 2014
at 01:55
Re: The Iron District
Lilith took the offered meat with a murmur of thanks. She tore a bite off and was pleasantly surprised by the smokey flavor. Raising an eyebrow she glanced up at Sahara. "Is he always this exuberant or is today special?" As Zayden spoke she quickly polished off the meat with somewhat surprising rapidity. "If you're a monster hunting guild, I'm guessing this caravan is looking for protection from more than just run of the mill bandits. Any idea what it is that's up in the Pass?"
Sahara
 player, 5 posts
 Half-Beast Warrior
Fri 23 May 2014
at 04:45
Re: The Iron District
"Unfortunately for us, he's usually like this." she sighed before leaning in towards Lilith, "But between you and me, I think he likes you." Sahara eyed Zayden, gave a sly smile, and started laughing. She went back to her normal demeanor when Lilith asked about the Pass. "We don't know what exactly, but whatever it is it's big and dangerous. It's probably making it's home near the Pass and it seems to be attacking anything that enters the area."
Choryn Ghaoughran
 player, 199 posts
 Scout/Ranger/Tracker
 Merc, Contractor
Fri 23 May 2014
at 18:44
Re: The Iron District
>>>>> From Copper District>>>>>>

Arriving at the Iron District after accepting Choryn is easily able to track down the essentials he needs and resupply filling his pouches.  His money pouch is a fair bit lighter after investing in new broad steel heads for his arrows.  In addition he had discovered the fletching on several arrows had become damaged.  He had gotten lucky and managed to find a fletcher who was willing to trade new fletched shafts for the old broad arrowheads and the damaged arrow shafts. He stored the new arrowheads in a special pouch he kept.  He preferred to attach the arrowheads themselves allowing him to tailor each arrow to the specific task he wished to accomplish.  Once he completes his list he wanders around the steel district. Until he comes across the address from his recommendation.  It's a small courier garrison that serves to move mail across the city and the country.  Walking in he pulls his pay stub out walks up to the tired looking soldier at the counter.

"What do you want? We don't hire here" The soldier serving as clerk asks rudely, interpreting from the mud, dirt, and stains along with the beer that's still drying on his clothes that Choryn is just another city bum and beggar, or an adventurer down on his luck.

Choryn pulls out his most recent letter of introduction for the Ranger job, and the promise of pay for services rendered that was contracted out to him.  "I think you'll see everything is in order." he says quietly looking intently at the clerk.

The clerk quickly scans the document, and scrutinizes the young grizzled veteran. "Can you verify who you are?" He asks still questioning Choryns Identity.

Choryn sighs, and unclasps the choker around his neck showing the man the campaign bead that matches the stamp on the documents. At least this clerk is thorough He thinks to himself, putting the choker back on after the man had finished.

The clerk examines both for a moment, before asking.  "How would you prefer your pay"

Choryn quietly replies, "Seventeen crowns, fifty-five shillings, ninety pence, and one-hundred farthings, in separate pouches." Watching the poor clerks eyes get wide. Choryn smiled, "Please" he asks politely

Not used to encountering mercenaries (as he thought of all private hires were) who could read, much less figure out the correct values he was stunned. Plus the quiet way the man talked. He'd never expect such a quiet polite, yet dirty man to be this well paid. He quickly processes the payment recording it in the books along with stamping the promise of payment as processed. "Thank you sir," he says, as Choryn secures the money about his person.

Choryn nods to the man taking a crowne out of a pocket, "Thank you for your time," he says placing it on the counter. Walking out without a backwards glance.

Leaving the courier garrison, Choryn quickly makes his way to the border of the iron and steel districts.  Things are more busy here, but a bit nicer and it is where his home is.  Inside the walls of the city his home is a bit of an anomaly, the city having grown around it from when one of his ancestors built the original house. Though the current house is smaller than the other houses in the area, but faces the street in much the same way. Unlike the other houses around it, the slightly larger lot behind it does not contain a house, but instead a few trees, a garden, and grass.  Along one of the mortar and brick walls are several archery targets, and along the other is practice dummies for Choryn to practice his sword play, the yard and the house seem to mirror Choryn's practical and quiet, and sometimes a little wild nature.

He walks in noting his neighbors daughters had done well in maintaining the interior of the small house. Storing most of his money he makes his way to the kitchen pulling the rope up to check the cistern. He notes that it is nearly over-filled, and quickly starts a fire in the stove and puts several pots of water on for a bath.  While the water heats he cleans and oils the leather of his clothing and fixes the new steel arrowheads to the arrows he had obtained. By the time he had finished cleaning his gear the water was warm enough for him to have a bath. Once clean himself he oils his hair, scrubs the clothes he had been wearing hanging them on a line near the stove on one end of the kitchen.

Looking out the kitchen window to one of the only private yards in the city that didn't belong to a noble he notes a familiar blue figure zipping around, He calls out to it quietly, "What was that trick you pulled?" He asked, "I'm going to look for more work, I got the address to a new place I want to check out. will you be coming?" he asks politely to the fairy zooming about the yard.

Feeling clean and his equipment cared for and maintained, he re-dresses himself, and goes to over to his neighbor's giving the man two crownes for keeping the house safe, and the other for his daughters to split amongst themselves.  He could have afforded a full maid, but he trusted his neighbor, and the family.  They were good hardworking people, besides he paid better than most would for the same treatment.  After thanking the neighbors he decides to head for the address given stopping at a bakery on the way for a meatpie.

>>>> To Skull and Parchment >>>>>

This message was last edited by the player at 04:05, Sun 25 May 2014.

Lavender Isthmus
 player, 5 posts
 Apothacary, Healer
 Companion to Choryn
Sun 25 May 2014
at 04:48
Re: The Iron District
Outside the tavern in the copper district Lavender had used a bit of fairy magic her own natural speed, and a few odds and ends from the medical bag to create the puff of smoke.  She had returned to Choryn's house, she rather enjoyed the green space in the back unlike most parts of the city, and had been harvesting various herbs and other useful medical plants to add to the medical bag.  By the time Choryn had finished cleaning up Lavender had finished her harvest and restocked and cleaned the medical bag. Luckily Choryn hadn't gotten too hurt and had only needed a soothing salve to deal with an infected insect bite.

When Choryn asks if she's coming along she picks up her pace a bit calling out, "Just a bit of fairy magic and some chemicals mixed together.  I'll be right there. Take my bag, I'll meet you out front."  She scurries about tidying up he stuff and makes sure she has all her equipment. She catches up with Choryn as he leaves the neighbors house.

Lavender eats a small portion of the meat pie, just a small bite really she had snacked on some just ripened berries growing in her garden.  She made a note if they got back in time to ask Choryn to help pick the ripe fruit before it started to rot.

>>>>> To Skull(dudgery) and Parchment>>>>>
Lavender Isthmus
 player, 13 posts
 Apothacary, Healer
 Companion to Choryn
Mon 26 May 2014
at 04:58
Re: The Iron District
>>>> From Skull and Parchment >>>>>

Having been let out of the Skull and Parchment by Choryn, Lavender quickly zooms off through the Iron District.  She doesn't really bother so much with streets choosing instead to zoom along the rooftops and around chimneys towards one of the towering gates of the wall between the steel and iron districts.  About halfway to the gate she encounters a flock of crows who take offense at her flying through their area so she drops down to street level buzzing and darting between gaps in the crowds using the cover of the people to escape the pesky birds.   Arriving at the gates she flys over the tops of the guards and right into the steel district.

>>>> To steel district >>>>
Lilith Sereg
 player, 24 posts
 Blood will Tell
Tue 27 May 2014
at 16:07
Re: The Iron District
Lilith sputtered as Sahara laughed and felt her cheeks begin to heat slightly. She struggled for a moment to regain composure but found it more difficult than it should have been. Seeking to calm herself she reached into her belt pouch and brought out a whetstone. With a smooth practiced motion Lilith drew forth one of her twin daggers and began to methodically hone the edge. The blade was already wickedly sharp but the simple task helped put her back at ease. Once she was finished with the first blade, she replaced it and repeated the ritual with the second dagger. “Big, dangerous, and unknown? Well this ought to be interesting.” 
Zayden
 player, 5 posts
 Human Mage
Thu 29 May 2014
at 23:05
Re: The Iron District
Zayden was completely oblivious to the cause of Sahara's amusement and Lilith's embarrassment. He finished his food quickly as Lilith sharpened her blades to calm herself. He wiped his gloves clean again as the two women talked about the mission. He laughed at what he viewed as them voicing their concerns before placing an arm around each of their shoulders and drawing them close. "No matter what it is, it doesn't stand a chance! No worries! We got this!" He really was unusually energetic today.
Sahara
 player, 6 posts
 Half-Beast Warrior
Sun 1 Jun 2014
at 21:26
Re: The Iron District
Sahara pulled herself away from Zayden's grasp; they had worked with each other for a while now but she didn't feel that close yet. She gave a glare warning that such an action wouldn't go without punishment a second time. "Right, well then." she started, clearing her throat, "I'm gonna try to find that caravan we're supposed to meet." She didn't get far before finding a group of merchants all packed and looking a little lost. She walked up to one of them and got their attention. "Are you guys going through the pass? I'm from the Crusaders of Midas guild and was told to meet a caravan that was going throught the pass."
Lilith Sereg
 player, 32 posts
 Blood will Tell
Tue 3 Jun 2014
at 00:38
Re: The Iron District
Lilith slid smoothly away from Zayden as Sahara simultaneously broke contact "Goodness, you are rather forward," she murmured half under her breath. That or social norms were much more relaxed here than she was used to. Given Sahara's reaction, however, she didn't think that to be the case. Still, she was discreetly pleased that he was not repulsed by her magic. Many of the mercenaries she had worked with previously had given her a wide berth even after she had saved their ungrateful hides in battle. Lilith shook her head to clear the dismal thoughts that were beginning to rise. Looking over at Zayden she flashed him a playful grin as followed as Sahara. "I certainly hope you can follow that confidence up with results up in the Pass."
GM
 GM, 194 posts
 My word is law.
 But I'm a cool guy :3
Tue 3 Jun 2014
at 17:14
Re: The Iron District
A Dwarven merchant looked up at Sahara.

"Ha! About time, thought we might be sitting next to this meat stand forever. So is it just you three? I thought there'd only be two of you."

The merchant thought for a moment and then decided against whatever it was that popped into his head.

"Ya know what, doesn't matter. I'm ready to get this show on the road. So, if you are all ready, lead the way to the Pass, and we'll see if we can get to the other side without any monsters trying to eat my men or my lizards."
Sahara
 player, 7 posts
 Half-Beast Warrior
Sun 8 Jun 2014
at 23:13
Re: The Iron District
"Yeah, sorry 'bout that. Took us a while to pick you out of the crowd. We were supposedly going to meet more people but I guess they had something else to do." She looked over the caravan before glancing at the road ahead towards the pass. "Well, if everyone's ready."

>> To: Boulder Pass >>
Lilith Sereg
 player, 35 posts
 Blood will Tell
Wed 11 Jun 2014
at 00:27
Re: The Iron District
Lilith shaded her eyes as she looked up toward the pass beyond the city. "Lead the way."

<<To Boulder Pass>>