Chapter 6: The Quest Begins.   Posted by Azurak the Blue.Group: 0
Saxon the Dead Smith
 Fellowship, 99 posts
Fri 24 Jul 2015
at 21:34
Re: The Quest Begins
Saxon pressed his lips in a thin line. "A flower..." he looked up from the dishes he was cleaning and sorting. "It is to my understanding the ent wives are paragon Gardiners. The sign of a master in the green thumb is in the simple yet elegant. If I had to guess it will be a large white flower, very healthy, with color flowing into its center. It is about the only sign I can think of."

Once everything was sorted he took his boots off and stood in the fire that made the morning meal. "Going to summon red to keep an eye out with us. This will take a moment." he breathed out smoke as he worked his little ritual.
Tilaleria
 Fellowship, 120 posts
 Messenger Girl
Fri 24 Jul 2015
at 21:38
Re: The Quest Begins
"Such a thing is more likely to be seen by our aerial scouts" Tilaleria said listening with interest "The eyes of a hawk could make that out while half a mile high, and cover a lot of range as we travel. Still it is certainly worth keeping our eyes open for such things"
Radagast the Brown
 Istari, 27 posts
 Druid
 Wizard
Sat 25 Jul 2015
at 03:15
Re: The Quest Begins
"Yes, we have a magical device that tells us the Entwives were alive a year ago," Radagast said. "It seems to indicate that they are to the East. We no longer know much about the East, so I cannot say that the amulet is truly accurate."

"I do not rush into danger unless I have to. I want to know what happened to the Entwives as much as where they are now, for the former may aid us in returning them."

"I do not think it will be so simple as to just go find them and bring them back. I feel there is more going on here than we know. It is clues to that which I hope to find on the ground. Aerial scouts can spot the obvious, I do not deny that. But there can easily be subtle clues that elude them."

"As a messenger, Tilaleria, you're focus is beginning and end. You have little interest in that which you pass by, unless it seeks to handicap you in some way."

"We are also venturing into forgotten lands, unknown territory and mysterious places. We could easily find ourselves in dire straits if we rush in."

Saxon the Dead Smith
 Fellowship, 100 posts
Sat 25 Jul 2015
at 03:31
Re: The Quest Begins
Barab finished his little ritual and a red robed figure stepped out of him. The figure then hopped like it had a hot foot and hopped out of the fire. When it turned Barab had his finger to his lips. He then handed over his black blade to his body guard and smiled.

"If people get lost I can make a beacon in the sky for a short time, it would be clear as day if looked for at night, but it doesn't last long at all. There is, indeed, safty in numbers. However, there is also something to be said for the fact that we would cover much more ground if we are separate."

"More importantly, the fact we are in a large group like this will attract the enemy very quickly. We are like a room full of candles right now, the light is peeking out of the trees for all to see."

"With that in mind we need to either separate to dim the light or prepare for the big nastiest that will come at us head on."

Tilaleria
 Fellowship, 121 posts
 Messenger Girl
Sat 25 Jul 2015
at 08:57
Re: The Quest Begins
Tilaleria just didn't agree with Radagast's words. But as he was in charge she nodded her head and just gave him a worried look. It was clear to her that if Radagast cared about the Entwifes with the current group he would move fast. With aerial scouts moving fast was far and away the safest option, as well as the fastest. Splitting up increased dramatically the chance that the bad guys would accidentally bump into them, slowing down also increased dramatically the chance that messages would get in front of them alerting the bad guys in their path. Only a madman or a fool would give away this tactical advantage. Unless..

Her thoughts continued

So either Radagast was getting senile, or he had more than one agenda here. She hopped the latter. The former was extremely distressing.

Sighing she took her breakfast and ate it, thinking dark thoughts. Perhaps this is why her mistress had sent her, so that she could see this for herself. It wouldn't be the first time she'd been asked to be a spy as well as a messenger, despite Radagast's comments she was extremely perceptive about the lands she rode through.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:59, Sat 25 July 2015.

Tavaro
 Fellowship, 63 posts
 Maiar Undine
 Druid/Mighty Godling
Sat 25 Jul 2015
at 19:47
Re: The Quest Begins
The Tavaro-tree suddenly shook. "Ooooh.... Oohhh.... I fell asleep. Hrm. I always fall asleep when I am a tree. There is something about stretching out one's roots and just soaking in the moisture of the earth that makes me doze off.. Hrm..." The eyes of the face looked around the camp drowsily and slow. "Settling for the night, yes. Don't worry, I will keep an eye out tonight. These few hours have refreshed me enough, hrm, yes."
Radagast the Brown
 Istari, 28 posts
 Druid
 Wizard
Sat 25 Jul 2015
at 21:39
Re: The Quest Begins
"You slept through the night, Tavaro," Radagast said to the nature spirit.

"It is morning, and we enter the Brown Lands now."

"Arithal and Anira will take the left flank. I would prefer Elmohtar and Tilaleria to take the right flank."

"Saxon and his wagon should stay in the middle, as perhaps should the Dwarves."

"Any other preferences?"

Azurak the Blue
 GM, 354 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Sat 25 Jul 2015
at 21:56
Re: The Quest Begins
There is a tangible benefit to forming a Fellowship. As long as you are with the Fellowship, you gain 10 additional Hit Points, and a +2 bonus to all attack rolls, saving throws and skill checks.
Elmohtar
 Fellowship, 29 posts
 Aasimar
 Menhir Savant/Priest
Sun 26 Jul 2015
at 06:24
Re: The Quest Begins
"Certainly." Elmohtar tells his master, and the turns to Tilaleria. "My preferred method of travel is flying, since we will probably be able to scan more ground from above. If you'd like, my bird can carry you. It takes a little getting used to, but ultimately most people who tried it have enjoyed the experience... though, admittedly, these people include only me so far, so the statistical significance of that may be too low to make any predictions regarding your own experience."
Tavaro
 Fellowship, 64 posts
 Maiar Undine
 Druid/Mighty Godling
Sun 26 Jul 2015
at 09:04
Re: The Quest Begins
"Morning? Hrm... That's no good..." The tree shook its limbs, and the form shrank down to a new form. On two hooves it walked, and long fur it bore. Two arms and stubby hands it had. But it also bore branches on its back, as if it were yet part tree. Its head was like that of a goat, with a long, draping beard, but it had long ears like a wolf. And on its head it had antlers of wood, which in turn bore green leafs. But strangest of all were its eyes, for they were like blue pools reflecting a white moon.

It took a few steps walking over to Landroval who had nested nearby for the night. Then raised its nose to the air. Taking a few sniffs he looked back at Radagast. "I do not like these brown lands. No life, only rock and stone. And I smell Orcs in the distance."

OOC: Tavaro's current form:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent....emonboi2-d3ec6fm.jpg

This message was last edited by the player at 09:05, Sun 26 July 2015.

Tilaleria
 Fellowship, 122 posts
 Messenger Girl
Sun 26 Jul 2015
at 09:15
Re: The Quest Begins
"I'd like to try that Elmohtar" Tilaleria said looking up from her dark thoughts "I'd like that quite a lot actually. It sounds awesome. I can't fly though, so if I fell off ... " she slammed one hand against another "we are talking strawberry jam time. Would there be a way to tie myself onto you?"
Garan
 Fellowship, 29 posts
 Half-Orc
 Bloodrager
Sun 26 Jul 2015
at 10:38
Re: The Quest Begins
Tavaro:
"I do not like these brown lands. No life, only rock and stone. And I smell Orcs in the distance."


Garan, who'd mostly been keeping to himself and doing some menial work as they set up their base in the evenings, lifted an arm and took a whiff of himself. "That... may be me. Still, if there are others - real orcs," apparently he didn't consider himself a real orc, despite having many of the physical characteristics of one, "then we may want to either draw them out or otherwise dissuade them."

He snapped his head left and right, popping the joints in his neck, and then flexed his shoulders. "I could go... discourage them, if we want."

He considered also Radagast's assignments and shrugged when prompted for input. Such tactical considerations weren't really his forte. He'd do as he was told, but, as in the case with potential orcs, he'd prefer straightforward confrontations over ambushes or sneaking about.
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 355 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Sun 26 Jul 2015
at 19:59
Re: The Quest Begins
The orcs that Tavaro detected were around 100 miles distant to the southeast, probably near or in Mordor. They aren't near and don't appear to be heading your way.
Sky Sheer'enn
 Outrider, 103 posts
 Elf
 Fighter/Archer/Driuid/
Sun 26 Jul 2015
at 20:17
Re: The Quest Begins
 After leaving the group to go back for her fathers death and funeral, Sky took her families fastest horse She rode at full speed all night. As Sky rode up a small knoll, she  witnessed the sun peaking above the earth. Sky's horse was on the brink of death. Just then Sky spotted a small camp. Sky slowly approached ready for anything.
Elmohtar
 Fellowship, 30 posts
 Aasimar
 Menhir Savant/Priest
Mon 27 Jul 2015
at 04:59
Re: The Quest Begins
"That would be pleasant." Elmohtar replied to Tilaleria, "But not practical. Carrying the both of us would be too much. I can assume the form of a hawk, though, so if you fall I'll be able to... inform your next of kin? No, no, you won't fall. You'll be fine. It'll be fun. And I know a spell that will allow you to fly of your own accord for a little while, enough to land safely should it be needed."

He suggests to the others who displayed the ability to fly the previous day to join Telaleria and himself.
Radagast the Brown
 Istari, 29 posts
 Druid
 Wizard
Mon 27 Jul 2015
at 08:08
Re: The Quest Begins
"Greetings, Sky!" Radagast calls out to the Elvin Archer. "I'm sorry to hear about your loss, but naturally I am glad that you could still join us."

As he talks, he approaches her horse and soothes it with but a touch, and its exhaustion dissipates.

"He still needs water and feed and a bit of rest, but we are only walking."

He produces an apple from a pocket and feeds it to the horse.

He then addresses the rest of the group, introducing them all to Sky. He then continues...

"Putting all of our flyers into one group would not be the best use of their talents," Radagast suggests.

"I'd much prefer to see... Jak and Orndir go with you, Elmohtar, even if they can't fly. A variety of perspectives and abilities will suit us the best."

"Likewise, I think Garan and... and Sky should join Arithal and Anira."

"That would leave Borjnen, Borun, Grimfast, Saxon, Tavaro and myself in the center, with Lady Isile being our main flying scout... at least through the Brown Lands."

"I cannot say if we will be able to camp in the Brown Lands... I fear not, so we may have to push through to the other side. If we do camp, we should all regroup."

"If that is acceptable to you all, then we will begin our trek."

Tilaleria
 Fellowship, 123 posts
 Messenger Girl
Mon 27 Jul 2015
at 08:57
Re: The Quest Begins
Tilaleria looked a little sad as she responded to Elmohtar "I thank you for the offer and I will think on how to make it safe. Perhaps one of my kin can teach me a spell that allows falling safely. But until then, or we work out a way for a saddle that will prevent me falling off in the event of a problem, I'll take a horse and cover the right flank as Radagast suggests"

With a whistle she summoned her horse, whispered words of greeting in its ear and leapt upon it
Garan
 Fellowship, 30 posts
 Half-Orc
 Bloodrager
Mon 27 Jul 2015
at 10:28
Re: The Quest Begins
"Just one question before we split up," Garan said, "You said we'd probably have to push through the region - do you know how far it stretches?"
Elmohtar
 Fellowship, 31 posts
 Aasimar
 Menhir Savant/Priest
Mon 27 Jul 2015
at 13:34
Re: The Quest Begins
Elmohtar nods: "Very well. I will keep an eye on the right flank from above, and direct you to anything unusual I may find. Let us set out."

He motions for his great bird, which slowly descends to the ground. It's nearly as big as a horse, but probably not as strong, or as suited to carry a rider. It is evident that it will have trouble carrying more than one person.

But one person it can carry with relative ease. Elmohtar climbs on its back, and they set off.
Jak
 Fellowship, 47 posts
 Human
 Fighter/Magus
Mon 27 Jul 2015
at 18:16
Re: The Quest Begins
Jak had taken some time to catch up with the group, having spent some time tracking the spider that had escaped him, but to no avail. In fact, he'd only just caught up  with the others this morning, somewhat withdrawn, though seemingly no worse off for his wasted effort. He nods to Radagast, as he is mentioned, moving over to join the discussion.

"I find the plan agreeable. I'm sure an aerial scout will be a most welcome boon to those of us forced to navigate the way on foot."

Aquitting himself, he moves over to Tila and Elmohtar next, as they are making preparations to mount up.

"It seems we shall be in each others' company for the next leg of this journey, then. If you'll pardon my nosiness, I believe I have something that may be of use to you, Tilaleria."

Holding up his hand, he pulls off what appears to be a relatively plain ring made of tarnished silver metal, and offers it to her.

"This ring might look plain, but it is possessed with powerful magic that allows it's wearer to fall from any height in safety. I've never really had a use for it aside from as a pretty knicknack, preferring my feet on the ground where they belong, but perhaps you would like to borrow it?"

This message was last edited by the player at 20:46, Mon 27 July 2015.

Tilaleria
 Fellowship, 124 posts
 Messenger Girl
Mon 27 Jul 2015
at 18:31
Re: The Quest Begins
"On the other hand Elmohtar" Tilaleria said with a happy laugh. She'd had only gloomy things recently and this was a treasure, lifting her spirits tremendously "If you are still willing"

Smiling she turned and gave Jak a 'thank you look', her eyes telling him she really appreciated it. "Thank you" she said simply, and gave him a little bow, then impulsively stepped up and kissed him on the cheek. "I owe you" she said as she moved away and headed to Elmohtar

"Let's do this"
Radagast the Brown
 Istari, 30 posts
 Druid
 Wizard
Mon 27 Jul 2015
at 20:41
Re: The Quest Begins
"The actual extent of the Brown Lands seems to vary, though only by a few miles and by season," Radagast replies to Garan. "It is only a hundred miles or so across, and 150 miles north to south. If we have to push through the night, we can be on the other side by morning."
Sky Sheer'enn
 Fellowship, 104 posts
 Elf
 Fighter/Archer/Driuid/
Wed 29 Jul 2015
at 12:50
Re: The Quest Begins
 Sky thanked Ragagast for his condolincis for her fathers death as she dismounted her horse. "I hope my absense wasn't too much of a burden on everyone?" , said Sky with sincerity in her voice. "If anyone needs a mount they may use my mare Cora here. Or we also could use her to carry our supplies. After she walks off this long journey I have made.

She was happy to be back and ready for this adventure. Sky had mourned her father's death during the long ride so her mind was clear.

Sky said, "I don't know these lands well so I'm willing to separate into the groups you have suggested. Does anyone know what we might expect to run into while we cross?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:01, Wed 29 July 2015.

Anira
 Fellowship, 29 posts
 Half-Elf
 Witch-Rogue
Wed 29 Jul 2015
at 15:30
Re: The Quest Begins
Anira had seen the condition of the horse and had tears in her eyes as she too started to move toward the near-dead creature, only to stop when Radagast moved more quickly than she.  Thankfully it was not too far gone and would even be able to continue the trek, though she hoped Sky would not abuse it so again.  It was partly her job to make sure the group remained in good condition and she included the animals.  With the groups established, she moved over with Arithal and Garan.  "Ready whenever you are," she stated with a determined expression.
Anira
 Fellowship, 49 posts
 Half-Elf
 Witch-Rogue
Wed 13 Jul 2016
at 22:35
Re: The Quest Begins
The screetch and stench assaulted Anira's senses and she instinctively snapped up her mage shield then drew the flaming rapier which ignited in flames.  Turning to face the oncoming swarm, she lifted her arm and pointed her finger uttering the word "Fánaperyar."  A bolt of lightning streaked from the tip of her finger straight at the oncoming hellhawks, hoping to possibly deter them or at least wound as many as possible to make things easier for them.



17:20, Today: Anira rolled 28 using 10d6 with rolls of 1,1,3,2,4,4,3,4,5,1.  Lightning Bolt.  >.<  Couldn't even get half of the possible damage and Reflex saves means only 14 points of damage.

AC: 26
HP: 110/110


This message was last updated by the GM at 04:18, Thu 14 July 2016.