Chapter 6: The Quest Begins.   Posted by Azurak the Blue.Group: 0
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 186 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Tue 28 Apr 2015
at 19:35
The Quest Begins
Radagast set out on his rabbit-drawn sled, back to the south, the way they'd come. He was unconcerned about how many would follow for he knew that there would be others who would join. Dark things were stirring throughout Arda, and Radagast feared what Gandalf had surmised was true. The fear was mostly that what it had taken to defeat Morgoth would be needed again.

If Sauron had somehow returned, he wouldn't be destroyed the same way again.

That was Gandalf's path. He was always better at that sort of thing. He, Radagast, protected the animals and plants of Arda; that was what he did best. The Ents were important to Arda. He couldn't imagine what the world would be like without them, but as no Entlings had come into being for so long, eventually the Ents that still lived would be gone and that would be the end of Ents. Lost long ago, everyone thought that the Entwives had been destroyed by Sauron. He'd destroyed the gardens where they lived, that area now known as the Brown Lands where nothing grew any more. The Entwives could have been captured, enslaved, as some speculated. Other said--hoped--that they'd fled further east, away from the threat of Sauron, perhaps even back to where all things had been birthed.

Treebeard and others had searched for the Entwives for centuries, yet no trace of them had been found. Until now. It wasn't beyond dark magic to have somehow altered a tree to resemble an Entwife, at least for the purposes of forging the amulet with a sliver of her. But would that have been enough to draw enemies directly to the remaining Ents?

He did not believe that for a minute! He could feel the spark... perhaps only an echo of a spark... within the amulet. They had lived two seasons ago, strong and vibrant... somewhere. He would find them! He did not know if they were beyond returning, but perhaps the Ents could go to them. If there was someplace the Entwives thrived, could not the Ents thrive there as well? Men had no interest in the Ents, even the Elves thought little of them. And Dwarves? Pfah! Only the Hobbits actually liked the Ents.

The rush to save the Ents had been quick; this journey would not be so swift, probably long and arduous.

"Best get to it then," he muttered to himself.


I'd forgotten how long it can take to make up a character for this game! So my revised plan is to start everyone off in their own thread for a few posts as your character sheet is finished before introducing you into this thread. That way, it's not so chaotic!
Radagast the Brown
 Istari, 10 posts
 Druid
 Wizard
Fri 1 May 2015
at 05:25
Re: The Quest Begins
He was anxious to get to it, but he knew that rushing into something blindly could be downright fatal. Not that he'd done such a thing before since he wasn't dead yet, but he'd come close.

With his rabbits pulling his sled, he could easily outrace his companions, particularly the Dwarves Borjnen and Borun. What would have been the point?

He had no idea how many or who would be needed for this monumental task, so he'd sent out the call to the Keepers, called in favors, made requests.

"What do you know of the Brown Lands?" he asked Lady Isile and Bjornen.
Borjnen Boulderol
 Keepers, 36 posts
 Dwarf
 Barbarian/Hill Giant/Ftr
Fri 1 May 2015
at 08:59
Re: The Quest Begins
Keeping up with odd man was not nearly as much of a chore as it would have been for most dwarves. On the other hand Borjnen was a not different from most dwarves. With his axe on his back and and large stone in his hand he carried on, better to be prepared than not.

Hearing the question clear enough, "Aye, very little. The general location, maybe."
Lady Isile
 Keepers, 138 posts
 Moriquende
 Sorceress/Oracle
Sat 2 May 2015
at 06:51
Re: The Quest Begins
It had been a very long time since I traveled through it but nothing is standing out at the moment.  I was very young. she replied as she tried to think of anything she could remember.
Radagast the Brown
 Istari, 11 posts
 Druid
 Wizard
Thu 7 May 2015
at 02:18
Re: The Quest Begins
"One would almost thing the Brown Lands are where I live... or perhaps should," Radagast replies. "I've been to them, but never entered. Nothing lives there, which is why it is all brown. There is nothing green there. It was painful just being that close."

"We shall head for the East Bight. I've told others to meet us there, though it isn't clear if they will join us. There are too many dark things througout the land these days, so some may have to tend to other things."

This message was last edited by the player at 05:43, Thu 14 May 2015.

Azurak the Blue
 GM, 255 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Wed 13 May 2015
at 06:28
Re: The Quest Begins
Okay. Had a rough week. A bit under the weather, but mostly just a wave of chaos swept over everything, so it's taken me longer to get everyone introduced than I was expecting.

I'll starting inserting the new characters in the next day or two.

Lady Isile
 Keepers, 139 posts
 Moriquende
 Sorceress/Oracle
Wed 13 May 2015
at 13:48
Re: The Quest Begins
Nodding her head she was ready to depart and head to the East Bligt.

At first she wasn't sure as to fly overhead and keep a watchful eye or to walk the roads with the party.
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 266 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Fri 15 May 2015
at 17:27
Re: The Quest Begins
The Ents had been in the Mirkwood, north of the Old Forest Road. This isn't all of them; some are in Fangorn Forest. By the time of the events chronicled in Lord of the Rings, these Ents will have moved there, too, at least partially because of the darkness in Mirkwood.


So after saving the Ents, Radagest led his merry band south by way of the Red Leaf Inn where it had all begun. It was now continuing from there.

As the group reaches the inn, Radagast is pleased to see that he has been joined by others: Anira, Sir Urias, and a card-wielding ne'er-do-well named Jak.

"I would say I am happy to see you, Anira, and Sir Urias, but these are troubling times and I regret having to call the Keepers. No, that's not strictly true. Calling the Keepers for fun and games is always a happy occasion. But the situation in the Mirkwood has grown dire, and it is why I called you that I regret," Radagast begins in his own lengthy way.

"Pardon my manners. Creatures of the forest don't stand on ceremony. I had once heard a sage claim that manners are the grease that makes society run smoothly."

"This is Lady Isile. That there is Borjnen, and that is Borun. Hmmm. Haldir was here a moment ago. Now where has he gotten to?"

"Oh, well. We have formed a fellowship, of sorts, to find and return the Entwives, if that is at all possible. We discovered this amulet that has fibre from them that are less that two Winters old! I believe it was given to the Plaguire so that he could use it to locate the Ents."

"If the Ents are destroyed, it will be much easier to destroy the land and all living things upon it. It boggles the mind to think something would be so foul and dark as to desire that."

Sir Urias
 player, 11 posts
 Aasimar - Son Of Saruman
 Paladin/Bard
Sat 16 May 2015
at 16:26
Re: The Quest Begins
"Troubled times are the best times to have friends, Uncle." Urias replied as he dismounted his golden stallion and approached. He bowed to the newly introduced. "Sir Urias, Knight of Dol Amroth, and most pleased to make your acquaintances."
Anira
 player, 10 posts
 Half-Elf
 Witch-Rogue
Sat 16 May 2015
at 16:45
Re: The Quest Begins
Anira was dressed in dark blue leggings and white tunic with the deep magenta embroidered robe as well as her weaponry, looking every bit the summoned adventurer.  She greeted Radagast by taking his hands and touching her cheek to his, her demeanor like an affectionate granddaughter.  As she pulled back, a tiny flying squirrel peeked out from her golden curls and chittered a greeting of its own to him.

"Whether it is for good or ill, I am always happy to eee you and I more than ready to help," she stated then turned to the others and inclined her head.  "It is a pleasure to meet you all," she greeted them, her tone pleasant and comforting.
Lady Isile
 Keepers, 140 posts
 Moriquende
 Sorceress/Oracle
Sat 16 May 2015
at 18:22
Re: The Quest Begins
Lady Isile looked at each of the newcomers that walked up to the party, she knew none of them but she didn't miss the word Uncle, spoken from Sir Urias.  Or the loving touch from Anira like a young family member.

Were these two that arrived related to Radagast the Brown?   Oh this may be a very interesting family reunion to watch.

"It is a pleasure to meet you both as well, but in a happier setting would be pleasant than to seek the Darkness of the Shadows that plague our lands.

Sky Sheer'enn
 player, 100 posts
 Elf
 Fighter/Archer/Driuid/
Fri 22 May 2015
at 06:00
Re: The Quest Begins
Just as introductions were about to take place , Sky appeared rising up from beneath the earth, by using her Earth Glide spell.

"Hello, I'm Sky for those whom I haven't met yet. I apologize for leaving abruptly, but I had an emergency with family that I had to see to. I hope my absence wasn't too much if a burden on you all?" she said.

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:41, Fri 22 May 2015.

Jak
 player, 27 posts
 Human
 Fighter/Magus
Sat 23 May 2015
at 21:19
Re: The Quest Begins
Jak leans back on his chair, boots on the table, duster draped across the backrest, sleeves rolled back, revealing a pair of weathered forearms, and hat over his face, obviously snoozing. It had been a long day. First the road, then the orks, then that strange thing with the giant bird. To be honest, Jak almost wished it had just left him with the orks. They'd seemed like the more hospitable of them...

This message was last edited by the player at 21:20, Sat 23 May 2015.

Radagast the Brown
 Istari, 12 posts
 Druid
 Wizard
Mon 25 May 2015
at 03:26
Re: The Quest Begins
"Uncle-schmunkle!" Radagast smiled at Urias in his usual not-quite-smug but otherwise non-commital manner.

"The rabbits are drinking, then we must be on our way. Could we tarry a day, a week, perhaps even a month? Possibly, but I can't help feeling that the sands of the hourglass are running out."

"We are embarking on a grand quest, Jak. If you are looking for adventure, this is your chance. However, I must caution you that where we go is both dangerous and unknown. There is no guarantee that any of us will come back alive!"



He makes sure everyone has been introduced to each other.

"It is good to have you back, Sky! The others have gone back to Dol Guldur to deal with the monstrosity in the caves beneath the old ruins. I fear it was not alone!"

"We rescued the Ents! And discovered that the Entwives still live, though we know not where! Just as the Plaguire used this amulet to find the Ents, so, too, will we use it to find the Entwives!"

"If any of you need to rest a bit longer, then do so, and join us at your own pace. There are others that I have also summoned, and by now they should be waiting for me at the Bight."

"So it is off we go! Hey-o!"


He exits the Red Leaf Inn and steps onto his rabbit-drawn sled, and moments later has dashed off into the Mirkwood to the south.
Jak
 player, 28 posts
 Human
 Fighter/Magus
Mon 25 May 2015
at 11:58
Re: The Quest Begins
Jak stirs and open an eye at mention of his name.

"Good to see you again, Wizard. I see you've found yourself a few capable companions. I guess I'll just leave the heroics to you lot, eh? Seem like a capable bunch..."

Rising from his seat, and stretching his arms, he then sweeps his coat over his shoulder, and dips his hat to Radaghast's other companions.

"Pleased to meet y'all. My name's Jak, and well, I'm bit of a drifter really, just along for the ride. Good at this and that, and sure as hell won't slow you down. Hell, I might even be useful occasionally."

---

When they leave, Jak strides casually after radaghast, moving swiftly and surely over the track despite being on foot.
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 286 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Mon 25 May 2015
at 17:53
Re: The Quest Begins
It soon becomes obvious that Radagast isn't about to leave anyone behind. He uses his speed to scout ahead, to the sides and even to the rear as the rest of the party sets off in the direction he went.
Lady Isile
 Keepers, 141 posts
 Moriquende
 Sorceress/Oracle
Mon 25 May 2015
at 18:07
Re: The Quest Begins
She nods her head to great each and introduce herself as well.

When Radagast speaks of leaving she was prepared and invoked a spell that changed her shape into a hawk and allowed her to take flight.

Over head she could see ahead and report to anyone that needs warning
Anira
 player, 11 posts
 Half-Elf
 Witch-Rogue
Mon 25 May 2015
at 18:16
Re: The Quest Begins
Anira nodded to Lady Isile.  "Yes, happier circumstances would be nice but we take what we can get sometimes."  There was an appreciative glint in her eyes as Sky appeared from the ground.  "Impressive magic, well met," she said and then looked curiously at the silent man reclining, curiosity brimming but she remained quiet so as not to intrude upon his rest.

Even with things so dire, Radagast’s enthusiasm was endearing and since she’d said she was ready to help followed the elder wizard outside.  "Yes, we will find them and help return things to normal.  Well, as normal as possible anyway," she amended and gave Jak a nod as he joined them.  "A jack of all trades, good, and I’m sure you’re being modest," she added as they walked along in Radagast’s wake.
Borun Redbeard
 Keepers, 106 posts
 Dwarf
 Monk/Empyreal sorcerer
Tue 26 May 2015
at 08:57
Re: The Quest Begins
Borun addressed the newcomers.

"Greetings. Any friend of Master Radagast is a friend of mine." Borun introduced himself. "I am Borun Redbeard of the Diamond Heart Academy. I am pleased to make your acquaintance."
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 290 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Tue 26 May 2015
at 21:01
Re: The Quest Begins
Travel through the Mirkwood goes fairly smooth and quickly with Radagast leading the way, even if he's not seen at every step of the way.

The speed of travel will be at whoever is the slowest, but that's not really significant unless one of you is overly impatient.

A few rest stops are made, but those are only for a few minutes.

By the end of the day, you are all surprised to realize that you've traveled over halfway to the Bight already.
Radagast the Brown
 Istari, 13 posts
 Druid
 Wizard
Tue 26 May 2015
at 21:15
Re: The Quest Begins
The miasma that hung like an unseen pall over the Mirkwood had been slowly increasing in its gloominess, yet the sun continued to shine as brightly as ever. Sort of. It was like looking through smoked glass. There wasn't anything tangible to interfere with the light, nor did it dull one's eyesight. No, it was as if something had slipped into your mind and began shutting down those parts that affected vision.

Of course, that was nonsense! Yet it was harder to see through the miasma. Oh, it was the taint of Melkoth, but he was not returned. No, it was his spawn, his usurper, his heir. Perhaps a bit of all of those, and still something else that was undefined and undefinable, yet there nonetheless.

They'd made good time, over halfway to the Bight as nightfall approached. He was debating with himself whether traveling at night would be safer than going to ground. Not being able to come up with a firm decision, when he stopped for another rest, he sought the opinions of his traveling companions. After all, it wasn't his own safety he was concerned about, but theirs.

"We have made good time, far better than I would have expected through this darkwood," he began. "I can move quickly, and I can move fast, but I do not rush, nor do I make haste. Haste makes waste. So now I am come to a decision which must be made--camp or continue?"

He pulled out his pipe, which already seemed to be lit, and took a few puffs on it, eyes kind of rolling back in his head, as he waited for the others to respond.
Anira
 player, 12 posts
 Half-Elf
 Witch-Rogue
Tue 26 May 2015
at 21:28
Re: The Quest Begins
Anira kept up though she knew she would need to rest soon, probably at least a few of the others as well, so when Radagast paused and brought up their options Anira was glad to offer something.  "I can conjure a secure place for us, a cottage that will accommodate up to eight people.  We would have to build a fire for warmth but nothing should be able to breech us even through the chimney," she stated.  "It isn't anything fancy but would be better than mundane tents."



quote:
You conjure a sturdy cottage or lodge made of material that is common in the area where the spell is cast. The floor is level, clean, and dry. The lodging resembles a normal cottage, with a sturdy door, two shuttered windows, and a small fireplace.

The shelter must be heated as a normal dwelling, and extreme heat adversely affects it and its occupants. The dwelling does, however, provide considerable security otherwise - it is as strong as a normal stone building, regardless of its material composition. The dwelling resists flames and fire as if it were stone. It is impervious to normal missiles (but not the sort cast by siege engines or giants).

The door, shutters, and even chimney are secure against intrusion, the former two being secured with arcane lock and the latter by an iron grate at the top and a narrow flue. In addition, these three areas are protected by an alarm spell. Finally, an unseen servant is conjured to provide service to you for the duration of the shelter.

The secure shelter contains crude furnishings - eight bunks, a trestle table, eight stools, and a writing desk.

Azurak the Blue
 GM, 293 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Tue 26 May 2015
at 21:58
Re: The Quest Begins
Just making sure I've got the count correct: Radagast, Lady Isile, Borun, Borjnen, Sky, Sir Urias, Anira and Jak. That's 8. So cottage should be fine.
Lady Isile
 Keepers, 142 posts
 Moriquende
 Sorceress/Oracle
Tue 26 May 2015
at 22:56
Re: The Quest Begins
Looking to Anira "That would be perfect, I do believe we have 8 people on this mission.

Most of the time she was shapechanging into to some sort of bird to fly into the sky to see in the distance.  At night it was an Owl.
Jak
 player, 31 posts
 Human
 Fighter/Magus
Tue 26 May 2015
at 23:27
Re: The Quest Begins
Jak's interest is piqued by the offer. He nods deference to Anria.

"If there are none who wish to press on, then I would very much like to see this magical lodge of yours, that can be conjured on a whim."
Borjnen Boulderol
 Keepers, 37 posts
 Dwarf
 Barbarian/Hill Giant/Ftr
Wed 27 May 2015
at 21:39
Re: The Quest Begins
"Yes, this would be a fine time rest. Make your shelter and enjoy your comfort, I shall take my rest in the open air." With that Borjnen, stilling flipping a large rock from hand yo hand, proceeds into the trees. Now was the perfect time to search for the medicinal herbs he would surely need in the days to come. And then some rest if time provided.
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 298 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Wed 27 May 2015
at 22:28
Re: The Quest Begins
Even for a Dwarf, finding those items in the dark can be difficult, but it's still an hour before it gets dark, which happens rapidly in the forest. Borjnen has no problem finding some.

Let's say a Knowledge (nature) check DC 10 for the juniper berries, and DC 14 for the mandrake root. Every point above the DC gets you one dose.




You've gathered up your herbs and such and are heading back to the group when you hear a rustling in the leaves overhead. It could just be the wind, but it is followed by a skittering sound on the ground. Six large black eyes seem to gleam from the trees above you!
Anira
 player, 13 posts
 Half-Elf
 Witch-Rogue
Wed 27 May 2015
at 22:30
Re: The Quest Begins
Anira looked rather pleased that she could provide something for the group and moved over to an open section in the trees where she sat down.  It wasn't something instantaneous but as the little squirrel snuggled down in her lap, she murmured words as she placed a chip of stone, a bit of sand, a and a sliver of wood in her palm then poured a few drops of water over it all then clenched her hand shut.  After a moment, she tossed the contents into the clearing and slowly things began to shift.  Over the span of about ten minutes, the cozy shelter solidified.  "We just need some firewood and we can probably scrounge up something to eat," she said as she stood and brushed off the leaves from her backside.




Borun Redbeard
 Keepers, 107 posts
 Dwarf
 Monk/Empyreal sorcerer
Thu 28 May 2015
at 08:52
Re: The Quest Begins
"That is a fine suggestion, Anira," Borun replied to the half-elf.

Borun noticed Borjnen walking away alone. "Perhaps I should accompany you, Master Borjnen? These woods may not be entirely safe. If nothing else, I can collect some firewood on the way."
Jak
 player, 32 posts
 Human
 Fighter/Magus
Thu 28 May 2015
at 11:41
Re: The Quest Begins
Never one to slack when others were working, Jak chimes in to do his bit to help too.

"Well, I'm, err, not much good at cooking, so I guess I'll go hunt down some firewood as well."

Noting the direction Borun was heading, Jak waves his hand in the opposite direction. If Borun was looking for firewood, it wouldn't do Jak much good to look in the same place...

"I guess I'll head out yonder, and see what lays around, while I'm at it."
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 299 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Fri 29 May 2015
at 03:48
Re: The Quest Begins
So Borun has gone off with Borjnen to gather up firewood. By the time Borjnen has found what he's looking for, Borun has also gathered up an armful of firewood.

He's gotten a bit separated from Borjnen, only about 40 feet, when he, too, here's the overhead rustling and chittering.


Jak has also gone off to gather up some firewood. He's had a bit better luck, but also wasn't dependent on someone else finding what they were looking for. He's found one armload and brought it back to the cottage already before going off for a second load. He's not sure if it's needed, but decided it was better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

He's got his second armload and is heading back when he hears a rustling of the leaves overhead that doesn't seem to have any connection to the wind. This is followed by a chittering, skittering sound on the ground. A moment later he sees 6 glowing eyes in the overhead darkness.


Back at the cottage, Radagast has stopped smoking his pipe, making it disappear somewhere in his beard, and has grown alert, focused.

"The rabbits are frightened," he states. "Rhosgobel rabbits don't get frightened. Something isn't right. There is something out there in the woods that is getting closer. The rabbits can smell it, sense it."

"It is darker than the woods, darker than the night!"

"The rest of you, get into the cottage. I cannot say that you will be safe there, but you should be."

Jak
 player, 33 posts
 Human
 Fighter/Magus
Fri 29 May 2015
at 04:20
Re: The Quest Begins
"Well that's a bit bloody ominous..." Mutters Jak under his breath, fumbling around in his coat with one hand, precariously balancing the armload of wood in the other as he does. Moments later, he succeeds in drawing out a small silver device, holding it high, and uttering a command word.

"Lumen!"

Magical light streams from the device in his outstretched hand, illuminating his immediate surroundings harshly against the pitch black of night...
Borjnen Boulderol
 Keepers, 38 posts
 Dwarf
 Barbarian/Hill Giant/Ftr
Fri 29 May 2015
at 14:59
Re: The Quest Begins
Anything with more than two eyes of that size lurking in the Mirkwood was certainly bad news. That with the sound of movement was more than enough cause for alarm. With a swift movement Borjnen hurled the rock he had been carrying towards the grouping of eyes dashing off. Drawing his axe as he went he made his way towards the last place he seen Borun, yelling as he went "Time to go!".

Init 20
Standard action: Throw Rock
Move Action:     Move 50ft while drawing axe

This message was last edited by the player at 19:13, Sun 31 May 2015.

Azurak the Blue
 GM, 306 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Tue 2 Jun 2015
at 02:47
Re: The Quest Begins
In the light he cast, Jak sees a colossal spider perched overehad, as well as a hundred (or more) other spiders all around the forest floor and in the trees. These are all sizes from the size of a small dog up to the size of a man.
Lady Isile
 Keepers, 143 posts
 Moriquende
 Sorceress/Oracle
Tue 2 Jun 2015
at 03:05
Re: The Quest Begins
It was hard not wanting to go outside to deal with whatever was out there but with Radagast giving the warning to enter the hut, she only wondered where were the others.
Anira
 player, 15 posts
 Half-Elf
 Witch-Rogue
Tue 2 Jun 2015
at 03:35
Re: The Quest Begins
Anira stood at the door, ushering those around inside and then waiting for the others to return.  "I'll keep the door open as long as I can ... just hope the others get here soon," she stated with a worried frown as she looked out into the forest.
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 307 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Tue 2 Jun 2015
at 03:56
Re: The Quest Begins
The question becomes: can the rabbits all fit inside the cottage?

What Radagast was telling you is that he would stay outside to defend the rabbits.
Anira
 player, 16 posts
 Half-Elf
 Witch-Rogue
Tue 2 Jun 2015
at 04:55
Re: The Quest Begins
How many rabbits are there?  I keep thinking eight but my memory isn't always great.  It's a normal sized cottage and has eight bunks.  The spell doesn't give any dimensions but I'm thinking while it might be a little crowded they should all fit with the humans too.  If necessary, the people could get in the bunks to give the rabbits more room.
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 309 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Tue 2 Jun 2015
at 05:49
Re: The Quest Begins
Radagast's team of Rhosgobel Rabbits is eight in number. They are a bit bigger than a cat, but smaller than a husky. And they are so cute and furry that everyone will just want to cuddle with one anyway, so I guess they'd all fit.
Anira
 player, 17 posts
 Half-Elf
 Witch-Rogue
Tue 2 Jun 2015
at 12:31
Re: The Quest Begins
I was thinking they were more the size of a pony so definitely they would all fit okay.  :)
Jak
 player, 35 posts
 Human
 Fighter/Magus
Tue 2 Jun 2015
at 23:12
Re: The Quest Begins
Jak opens his mouth wordlessly as the light shines on the spider. Like a man confronted by a enraged bull, he edges slowly back keeping his eyes on it's six shining black orbs, hoping against hope that the monstrous spider has no interest in him.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:13, Tue 02 June 2015.

Borun Redbeard
 Keepers, 108 posts
 Dwarf
 Monk/Empyreal sorcerer
Thu 4 Jun 2015
at 09:03
Re: The Quest Begins
Recognizing the possible danger, Borun turned to his companion. The look in Borjnen's eye informed Borun that they were of the same mind.

Borun hastily cast a protective spell on Borjnen, then adopted his combat stance.

Initiative: 25

Standard action: cast Blur on Borjnen

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/blur


Radagast the Brown
 Istari, 14 posts
 Druid
 Wizard
Fri 5 Jun 2015
at 23:18
Re: The Quest Begins
"Quickly then, get the Rabbits inside your wondrous cottage! They are approaching!" Radagast tell Anira and Lady Isile.

He then chitters something to the rabbits, and they hop over to the door, peer inside for a moment and sniff, then hop inside as if it was a burrow.

Radagast plucks a twig from his beard, holds it up and examines it intently.

"All from this little thing, heh? I, too, have tricks and magic. Make up your mind--in or out?! We shall be sorely beset in a moment!"

When everyone has either gone in or out--he stays out, he tosses the twig up into the air at the cottage. As if caught be some errant breeze, the twig flies up to the top of the cottage and tumbles gracefully onto the roof. The instant it lands, it begins to grow rapidly into a massive tangle of briars and thorns that soon encase the entire cottage.

"The monsters will not get through that any time soon, and the little ones will not be able to penetrate your protective cottage."
Anira
 player, 18 posts
 Half-Elf
 Witch-Rogue
Fri 5 Jun 2015
at 23:51
Re: The Quest Begins
Anira spoke to the rabbits as well, her clicks and chitters having a soothing tone as she assured them they would be safe.  When they were inside, and she realized Radagast was staying outside, she stepped outside as well.  "I'll not leave you to fight alone," she said, her heart pounding as she drew her rapier and went over the spells she would be able to utilize.  She murmured under her breath as Melda scampered deep into a pocket, casting a spell to help protect herself.



Casting Mage Armor, AC now 26, lasts for 10 hours

This message was last edited by the player at 00:32, Sat 06 June 2015.

Azurak the Blue
 GM, 316 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Sat 6 Jun 2015
at 00:07
Re: The Quest Begins
Jak Attack

Jak's hopes were dashed when the huge black creature dropped right on top of him!

00:53, Sat 06 June 2015: Azurak the Blue rolled 30 using 1d20+10 ((20)). Death-from-above drop attack! CRITICAL POTENTIAL!

00:55, Sat 06 June 2015: Azurak the Blue rolled 20 using 1d20+10 ((10)). Confirm critical: Yes? Not sure if Jak has any other buffs going at the moment... or is he AC18?

01:02, Sat 06 June 2015: Azurak the Blue rolled 17 using 6d6 ((3,3,3,1,6,1)). Squashing damage x2 = 34 points of damage.

Alas, there's no combat maneuver called Squash for your CMD to come into play.

However, Jak can make a Reflex saving throw DC20 for half damage--it's a HUGE creature!

01:05, Sat 06 June 2015: Azurak the Blue rolled 14 using 1d20+5 ((9)). Sting attack... misses! It actually got in its own way; being on top of you handicapped its ability to strike with the stinger.
Jak
 player, 36 posts
 Human
 Fighter/Magus
Sat 6 Jun 2015
at 01:48
Re: The Quest Begins
Letting the firewood fall from his hands with a horrified look on his face as the spider plunges down, Jak hits the deck rolling as the spider lands, somehow managing to avoid the worst of it. Not pausing for a second, he staggers back to his feet with as much grace as he can muster, and flicking a shower of playing cards into the air to cause a momentary distraction, seemingly vanishes into thin air, the cards wafting down right where he stood.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:53, Sat 06 June 2015.

Azurak the Blue
 GM, 318 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Sat 6 Jun 2015
at 02:59
Re: The Quest Begins
Borjnen and Borun Bewebbed?

Borjnen rejoins Borun, and they are soon joined by the spiders, for that's what the eyes belonged to. Well, one big spider and a lot of smaller ones. There's still one clear route back to the magic cottage.

However, you aren't sure if you can outrun the giant spider in the trees. It's probably not as swift on the ground.


Jak Attack

Jak has no problem getting away from the huge spider, but it seems as if being invisible doesn't keep it from tracking you. As you take up a stance in a small clearing, it zeroes in on you and heads straight for you.


Cottage Clearing

At first, those still at the cottage don't see anything, but then the forest floor seems to ripple and move as hundreds of spiders of various size slowly approach the clearing.

It's the six glowing eyes up in the forest canopy that are worrisome. If they belong to a spider, it's huge!
Borun Redbeard
 Keepers, 109 posts
 Dwarf
 Monk/Empyreal sorcerer
Sat 6 Jun 2015
at 08:43
Re: The Quest Begins
In reply to Azurak the Blue (msg # 47):

A giant spider! Borun thought. It's an animal so it must be afraid of fire, right?

Borun wished that he hadn't skipped Fireball practice at the Academy. But wait! A fire elemental might work. Borun traced the arcane gestures in the air with his hand while calling the beast from its elemental plane.

Initiative: 25

Full round: casting Summon Monster V - Large fire elemental

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/...lls/s/summon-monster


Jak
 player, 39 posts
 Human
 Fighter/Magus
Sat 6 Jun 2015
at 09:49
Re: The Quest Begins
Dropping the light at his feet, where it splutters out, jak lets out a sigh, and turns to meet the spider in the dying light.

"This is your fault, you know... Should have let me be."

In that moment, several tiny, projectiles, nigh invisible in the gloom, streak towards the spider, aimed precisely for the creature's eyes.

This message was last edited by the player at 11:48, Sat 06 June 2015.

Azurak the Blue
 GM, 322 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Mon 8 Jun 2015
at 03:14
Re: The Quest Begins
Only Jak's first three attacks strike the creature, but they still do 89 points of damage!


The huge spider is now enraged, and closes the 30-foot gap in almost one stride. It strikes at Jak with its slavering jaws.

04:07, Mon 08 June 2015: Azurak the Blue rolled 20,14 using 1d20+10,1d20+10 ((10,4)). Spider bite, spider sting. Does the bite hit?

04:13, Mon 08 June 2015: Azurak the Blue rolled 10 using 2d6+6 ((1,3)). Spider bite damage.
Jak
 player, 41 posts
 Human
 Fighter/Magus
Mon 8 Jun 2015
at 04:26
Re: The Quest Begins
Leaping back a fraction too slow, The spider's teeth tear long gashes into Jak's trademark coat, as it's maw snaps closed where Jak was. Pirouetting  on the balls of his feet as he breaks free, Jak uses the momentary distraction of his jacket whirling out behind him to launch another volley at the thing's eyes.
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 323 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Mon 8 Jun 2015
at 05:24
Re: The Quest Begins
Only Jak's last attack hits this time, but it is a critical, doing 46 points of damage. That's more than it can tolerate, and though it doesn't kill it, it drives it off.
Borjnen Boulderol
 Keepers, 39 posts
 Dwarf
 Barbarian/Hill Giant/Ftr
Tue 9 Jun 2015
at 08:58
Re: The Quest Begins
With the spiders on the ground and the huge on in the trees he realized if the fighting started it be awhile yo clear everything out, especially if the huge one stayed out of reach. With his axe at the ready Borjnen keeps his eyes peeled for a rock large enough to do some damage. If it didn't want to come maybe some coercion.
Sky Sheer'enn
 player, 101 posts
 Elf
 Fighter/Archer/Driuid/
Fri 12 Jun 2015
at 17:37
Re: The Quest Begins
Once having had a pet tarantula in her youth, it wasn't from any phobia of spiders that had her draw her bow and begin firing at the swarm of arachnids. These were abominations to the natural order of things, products of the darkness whose grip on the Mirkwood was slowly tightening.

At the last second, she realizes that the smaller spiders wouldn't attack on their own without the controlling influence of the monstrous spider in the trees above. She directs her arrows to the big one.

18:27, Fri 12 June 2015: Sky Sheer'enn rolled 42,12,32,20,25,11 using 1d20+23 1st shot,1d10+10 1st damage,1d20+23 2nd shot,1d10+10 2nd damage,1d20+18 3rd shot,1d10+10 3rd danage ((19,2,9,10,7,1)).

I think that's at least 2 hits!

She suddenly realizes her friends are out there in the woods alone! Not that she doesn't think Borun and Borjnen can't take care of themselves, but against the darkness, it's safer and better not to stand alone! She dashes off in the direction they went, calling out their names, with Nightbreeze running by her side.

"BORUN! BORJNEN! Where are you?"
Anira
 player, 19 posts
 Half-Elf
 Witch-Rogue
Fri 12 Jun 2015
at 21:01
Re: The Quest Begins
"Sky no!" Anira called out to the woman who was heading straight for the swarm of spiders.  Looking quickly to Radagast, she quickly speaks.  "It's like they are all waiting for something ..." she whisper-hissed, wondering if he was thinking the same thing and what he might suspect.  She thought of attacking the large one in the trees but held off for now in case something even bigger came along.
Radagast the Brown
 Istari, 15 posts
 Druid
 Wizard
Fri 12 Jun 2015
at 21:48
Re: The Quest Begins
"It's the cottage," Radagast replies to Anira. "It's too big for one of them to take on, though they might attack anyone when they get hungry."

"So this one is waiting for the others... at least two more, I think; possibly three. She may be disappointed. I can't get a good sense of the others, but I believe Jak has dealt with one already."

"Sky does not attack foolishly, as some warriors do, trusting to their strength of arm and martial skill to win the day. She will find the Dwarves and bring them back."

"Alas, the magick that would be most effective against them is fire, but it can be equally detrimental to the forest. Those magicks are not in my repertoire, except to light my pipe."


He promptly pulls his pipe out from somewhere in his shaggy beard. He holds up his index finger, and a small flame appears at the tip. He promptly uses it to light his pipe, although Anira is pretty sure the pipe was already lit.

"We shall wait for another moment or two, and then take the battle to the spiders. If we are unsuccessful in our assault, we shall then have room to retreat to the cottage."
Jak
 player, 44 posts
 Human
 Fighter/Magus
Fri 12 Jun 2015
at 21:50
Re: The Quest Begins
Brushing himself off, Jak mutters a short good luck charm to himself, drawing a card without looking from one of his many decks, and tucking it away in his breast pocket. Then he stalks quietly back to his woodpile, gathering the firewood once again, and beginning to retrace his steps back to the cabin, his task made somewhat more difficult by the dark.
Anira
 player, 20 posts
 Half-Elf
 Witch-Rogue
Fri 12 Jun 2015
at 21:58
Re: The Quest Begins
Anira grimaced but didn't call out again to Sky.  She had to hope they wouldn't swarm her and that Radagast was right in that she would find the dwarves and bring them back to safety.  "I have a couple of things but one would definiteyl damage a bit of the forest.  I will use it only if necessary.  The other ... if the smaller ones swarm us I will have no choice but perhaps the fire will not spread."  With a muttered word, her rapier's blade was engulfed in fire and she held it so that it might lead the lost ones back as well as perhaps give the spiders a bit more pause.
Lady Isile
 Keepers, 144 posts
 Moriquende
 Sorceress/Oracle
Sat 13 Jun 2015
at 14:42
Re: The Quest Begins
Standing inside the hut she could hear what Anira and Radagast were saying but she had no spell that would produce fire to defend them but if she could change the elemental nature of her spells she might be able to aid in some way.

Thinking of the right spell she stopped for a moment.

"If they come toward the hut I can send a lightening bolt at them to slow them down.  It may singe the trees but they are strong.
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 330 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Tue 16 Jun 2015
at 04:01
Re: The Quest Begins
Since Jak went in a different direction than the two Dwarves, he doesn't pass Sky when she heads out after them.


The presence of the cottage seems to intimidate the one huge spider near it, so it is waiting for its sisters to arrive.


Since Jak drove off one of them, that one will not be arriving any time soon.


Borun and Borjnen back together, waiting for the huge spider and its swarm of smaller spiders to attack, though some of the smaller ones are still the size of dogs.

Since the only threat the two Dwarves seem to pose is a thrown rock, the huge spider advances to attack. It stalks forward a bit, down across branches, before making a sudden rush at the end. It attacks Borun with its mandibles and bite, and its stinger is able to strike forward between its legs at Borjnen.

Huge spider's attacks on Borun: 04:48, Tue 16 June 2015: Azurak the Blue rolled 36 left mandible attack,18 left mandible damage,41 right mandible attack,19 right mandible damage,29 bite attack,15bite damage using 1d20+23,1d10+10,1d20+23,1d10+10,1d20+18,1d10+10 ((13,8,18,9,11,5)).

First and second attacks should be a hit for 18 and 19 points of damage to Borun. If the bite hits, that's another 15 points.


Huge spider's sting on Borjnen: 04:58, Tue 16 June 2015: Azurak the Blue rolled 17 using 1d20+5 ((12)).

That's a miss. It's use to attacking weaker prey, so its at a disadvantage by trying to attack Borjnen that way.

The rest of the spider swarm will attack next round.
Sky Sheer'enn
 player, 102 posts
 Elf
 Fighter/Archer/Driuid/
Tue 16 Jun 2015
at 07:20
Re: The Quest Begins
Sky uses her knowledge of nature to tell if she knows anything about these particular vermin?

Today: Sky Sheer'enn rolled 21 using 1d20+17 with rolls of 4. nature.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:12, Tue 16 June 2015.

Azurak the Blue
 GM, 332 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Tue 16 Jun 2015
at 07:56
Re: The Quest Begins
At first, Sky's concern was whether her spell could and would affect a creature that size, but at the last second, she realizes that the spider... all spiders and insects... aren't animals at all, but vermin.

Vermin, of course, is a broad category for spiders, insects and all the creepy-crawlie things that occur naturally in Nature. Sages have debated for centuries just what the distinction between vermin and animals is, without coming to any kind of agreement. It usually gets down to 'I know vermin when I see it' approach. On the other hand, the empirical data can't be argued with: magic that affects animals does not affect vermin, and magic that affects vermin doesn't affect animals.

So Sky is pretty sure her Charm Animals spell would have no affect on the spider.
Borjnen Boulderol
 Keepers, 41 posts
 Dwarf
 Barbarian/Hill Giant/Ftr
Sun 21 Jun 2015
at 19:52
Re: The Quest Begins
As the beast's stinger glanced  off his breastplate easily Borjnen could tell he wasn't really its focus. And if he wasn't that meant Borun was. With a veritable roar he began his own assault against the creature. It made a mistake, and now it would pay for it.
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 334 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Sun 21 Jun 2015
at 21:24
Re: The Quest Begins
Sky can identify the huge spider as a Gorgoroth spider, and most of the larger ones are probably the same, but she doesn't know if they qualify as 'unnatural' spiders or not. It is possible that they were 'created' by Morgoth, but there is also rumor that they are even older than Morgoth.

Other than their extraordinary size, they are known to have a poisonous abdominal stinger, and their bite is also poisonous.


Borun summoned a large fire elemental, and it attacks the huge spider.

The spider had dropped to the ground to attack Borjnen, so Bjornen was now able to bull rush the huge spider, plus attack with his axe. The axe attack doesn't hit, but the bull rushes do, delivering 91 points of damage.

All he could hit was the legs, but the eight-legged freak can't be knocked prone or backwards.

That's whent he fire elemental attack. It manages to hit and do enough fire damage to kill the huge spider.

The rest of the spiders seem frozen in place for a moment, but then, without the controlling intellect, they suddenly flee back into the forest.


Back at the cottage, two things occur nearly simultaneously. First, you see a flash of light through the trees, which you quickly identify as fire!

Secondly, the huge spider and all the smaller spiders move forward to attack.

Radagast and Anira have a chance to act first.
Lady Isile
 Keepers, 145 posts
 Moriquende
 Sorceress/Oracle
Sun 21 Jun 2015
at 21:37
Re: The Quest Begins
There seemed to be a lot going on outside and she moved to the doorway to get a view of what was happening.

When she spotted the spiders she thought for a moment.
Borun Redbeard
 Keepers, 111 posts
Tue 23 Jun 2015
at 11:07
Re: The Quest Begins

This message was deleted by the player at 11:12, Tue 23 June 2015.

Borun Redbeard
 Keepers, 112 posts
 Dwarf
 Monk/Empyreal sorcerer
Sat 27 Jun 2015
at 10:03
Re: The Quest Begins
As the giant spider's corpse crumpled to the ground, Borun was relieved to see that Borjnen was uninjured.

"Let's go back to the cottage," Borun suggested. "There might be more of those things around."
Radagast the Brown
 Istari, 16 posts
 Druid
 Wizard
Tue 30 Jun 2015
at 05:13
Re: The Quest Begins
He had little in his repertoire of magic at the moment, so he momentarily chose to leave the huge spider to his allies. The little vermin could be dealth with relatively easily.

He raised his arms in a wide embracing gesture. As he did so, a powerful gust of wind began from where he stood and blew forward, sweeping up the smaller spiders. All the little ones would be scattered throughout the woods, individually becoming prey to other creatures--birds and bugs and snakes and frogs.

That still left a dozen dog-sized spiders, and the huge one.

"Ho! Keepers of Kelvar and Olvar! Do not let the size of Shibak frighten you! Attack! Slay the foul creature of Morgoth's breeding!" he shouted out to his companions above the roar of his windstorm.
Anira
 player, 22 posts
 Half-Elf
 Witch-Rogue
Wed 1 Jul 2015
at 02:33
Re: The Quest Begins
While Radagast focused on the small spiders, Anira's grim countenance focused on the largest of them all, the one her mentor called Shibak.  When it was within 40 feet of them, a coruscating ray shot from her free hand and blasted (hopefully) into the giant spider.



21:20, Today: Anira rolled 32 using 1d20+13 with rolls of 19. Ranged Touch Attack.
21:21, Today: Anira rolled 11 using 1d6+5 with rolls of 6. Strength Damage.

Shibak must make a Fortitude saving throw, DC 16 I believe.  If she fails, she takes 11 points of strength damage.  If she succeeds, she takes 5 points of strength damage.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:40, Wed 01 July 2015.

Azurak the Blue
 GM, 339 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Fri 3 Jul 2015
at 03:09
Re: The Quest Begins
Shibak continues to advance, but is brought up abruptly by Anira's ray.

03:58, Fri 03 July 2015: Azurak the Blue rolled 23 using 1d20+8 (15)) Fortitutde save.

Although it's not as effective as it could have been, it does affect the huge spider in a way that it's never felt before.

It seems to sense that its two sisters are dead or fled, and Borun, Borjnen and Sky arrive back at the cottage just about then.

That's more than the spider wants to deal with. It scurries back up into foliage of the trees and soon vanishes from sight. The rest of the spiders flee after her, though this is uncertain if it is because she directed them, or that with her direction gone, they have no organization.
Radagast the Brown
 Istari, 18 posts
 Druid
 Wizard
Sat 4 Jul 2015
at 21:45
Re: The Quest Begins
"Well done! Well done, indeed!" Radagast calls out to everyone. "We've driven off the threat for now. Our numbers and strength were not anticipated, I've no dobut, though I am not convinced that this was a directed attack."

"I've been sensing the presence of the spiders for some time now, but had not been able to hang a name on them. Now I have!"

"They are not Shelob's kin, but related nonetheless, perhaps drawn south by the shadow of Mordor."

"We've sent the darkness to bay. It will take some time for it to return. We will be safe till morning. Everyone into the cottage! Get some rest if you can. We leave at dawn's early light to meet up with the others at the Bight. We need to travel fast... get ahead of this creeping miasma."



Once all of the others have moved into Anira's magical cottage, Radagast makes a quick trip around it, reinforcing it with his own wards. And then he retires into the cottage with everyone else.
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 342 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Sat 4 Jul 2015
at 22:00
Re: The Quest Begins
As expected, the night passes uneventfully, though the Rhosgobel rabbits are restless, and Radagast spends most of the night (assuming he ever sleeps) keeping them quiet.

Dawn seems to come all too slowly and yet all too swiftly as well. The rabbits are anxious to be out of the cottage and into the woods.

Radagast quickly harnesses up the rabbits to his sled, and hops onto it.

"I must scout ahead! Follow as quickly as you can! We must head for the Bight! Hey-o! Away, my friends!" Radagast calls out to everyone. The last, of course, is directed to the rabbits.
Lady Isile
 Keepers, 146 posts
 Moriquende
 Sorceress/Oracle
Sun 5 Jul 2015
at 16:05
Re: The Quest Begins
With the tread being dealt with she was glad to see that the Darkness was sent away but it would be better if it was destroyed.  Either way she returned inside the hut and found a spot to rest for the night.

When the morning was coming upon them she was up and out enjoying the dawn and took shape of another bird of prey waiting for the others before taking flight.
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 343 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Wed 8 Jul 2015
at 05:30
Re: The Quest Begins
With Lady Isile providing air cover for the group, Radagast heads out scouting the way. By mid-morning, the group reaches the Bight, and finds others waiting there for you.

Radagast introduces them as Arithal Kodiak, Orndir and Otorno (a bear), Tavaro (the wind) and Tilaleria.

Likewise, to those in the Bight, he introduces Anira, Borjnen, Borun, Jak, Sir Urias and Sky Sheer'enn.
Tavaro
 player, 58 posts
 Maiar Undine
 Druid/Mighty Godling
Wed 8 Jul 2015
at 06:29
Re: The Quest Begins
quote:
Radagast on Tavaro:

Radagast contemplated this unexpected member of the Fellowship: warm yet playful is his spirit, for he is the offspring of rivers and life, tending and nurturing all things that grow, be they animal or plant. But like a storm is he to those that burn and destroy and succor in malice and pain; And his form is veiled in many forms, be they man or beast, water or wind, so only those who know him well can truly glimpse him. Merry he usually is, playing with beast and tree, and kind is he to the lost wanderer or the needlessly wounded, yet quick to anger, untempered by patience for those who do not share his love for life, but he is not proud, and he seeks neither power or praise... Mostly he journeys without pause through forest, field and glade like the wind, or in the form of a beast, and so he is called Tavaro, the spirit of the woods, by the elves who divined his true being. For they glimpsed that this spirit served the mother of all growing things and belonged truly to the wild. But his true name is known to but a few, for it cannot be spoken by mortal tongue.


Tavaro could not be seen for indeed he was the wind playing with the leaves all around. Desolate was the forest here, burned and bitten. And the source of this desolation was apparent, for the body of a creature that was surely the spawn of Glaurung lies spent not far from where the others made camp. And that was a wondrous place in itself, for among the desolation a glade of trees had sprung up, and ripe fruits clung from tree and bush which lay around a spring of fresh water.
Borun Redbeard
 Keepers, 113 posts
 Dwarf
 Monk/Empyreal sorcerer
Wed 8 Jul 2015
at 08:52
Re: The Quest Begins
"Hail and well met," Borun greeted the waiting group. "Any friend of Master Radagast is a friend of mine. I am Borun Redbeard of the Diamond Heart Academy." Borun bowed stiffly.

He glanced around conspiratorially, then lowered his voice. "These are troubled times. Dark forces are abroad. Though we are few in number, perhaps together we can thwart this evil."
Saxon the Dead Smith
 player, 89 posts
Wed 8 Jul 2015
at 10:09
Re: The Quest Begins
Saxon had Radaghast in a big hug, but set him back down when the others started showing up. One never wanted to appear too friendly but it was an adored teacher. He smiled at the lot as they showed up. "Good to see there are a good number of people coming along. Still, I kind of hope we can salvage some of the creatures from the corruption as opposed to killing them. I am sure the dragon would have been a very good ally if there was a way to cure it."
Tilaleria
 player, 111 posts
 Messenger Girl
Wed 8 Jul 2015
at 16:42
Re: The Quest Begins
"Good day Borun Redbeard of the Diamond Heart Academy" Tilaleria greeted the dwarf, hoping that he wasn't an elf hater like many of his kind. His words indicated not though, which was reassuring.

She stayed quiet after that contemplating what to do. She needed time to consider her options. Fortunately the chatter of the others should give her that.
Anira
 player, 23 posts
 Half-Elf
 Witch-Rogue
Wed 8 Jul 2015
at 18:46
Re: The Quest Begins
After sleeping a couple of hours, Anira had risen and made up some breakfast rolls filled with meat and cheese and then spent an hour quietly loving on Melda.  She was quiet so as not to disturb the rabbits anymore but it had felt good just being around Radagast again.

Here!  Take this and eat it on the way, she said and placed a warm roll in his hand before he could dart away.  And be careful! she called out though she knew he was always as careful as he could be, especially with the rabbits.

Handing out the rolls else once they were all geared up and ready for the journey, she dismissed the cottage and walked with a light step.  No one was overly talkative but the silence wasn’t uncomfortable.  They all just seemed introspective of last night’s events and the future.

Finally they reached the Bight and there was Radagast and more allies.  I wish the circumstances were different but it is a pleasure to meet you all, she greeted them all with a warm and welcoming smile.

Her eyes lingered on the bear as she drew the tiny flying squirrel from her pocket.  When she spoke again, it was a series of grunts and growls.  Greetings Otorno.  This is my friend, Melda, she introduced the two animal companions/familiars.
Radagast the Brown
 Istari, 20 posts
 Druid
 Wizard
Sun 12 Jul 2015
at 17:27
Re: The Quest Begins
Radagast actually looks a bit flustered by Saxon's enthusiastic embrace, but recovers quickly enough.

"Perhaps a short rest before we are off again," he suggests. "I fear discretion is no longer possible, nor needed. We travel now around the edge of the Mirkwood, to the southern tip where others are waiting."

"It is from there that our quest will truly begin."

"I will scout ahead just in case there are other... distractions. Ten minutes rest and then follow me as quickly as you can."


Without waiting for a response, he's back on his sled and the refreshed rabbits are off an running again. As astounding as their twisty rapid gallop through the woods appears, it isn't until one sees them sprinting over relatively flat unobstructed ground that their true grace and speed can be appreciated. In seconds, Radagast vanishes to the south, though a glimpse can be caught farther on as he briefly tops a distant hill.
Tavaro
 player, 59 posts
 Maiar Undine
 Druid/Mighty Godling
Sun 12 Jul 2015
at 17:45
Re: The Quest Begins
A stiff breeze blows in Radagast's direction and moments afterwards the great eagle screeches as it lifts off, scattering dust as its mighty wings flap to gain altitude.
Saxon the Dead Smith
 Fellowship, 90 posts
Mon 13 Jul 2015
at 06:56
Re: The Quest Begins
As the brown wizard made his exit, Saxon walked forward with business in mind. Reaching into the little camp fire he had going for the morning breakfast he cooked, he pulled free an ember and held it tightly in his hand.

Holding it a moment he popped the ember in his mouth and spoke his spell. "Kel-famara, Ohm Ash burzum-ishi." It was as if he was squishing every language he knew into meaning. He spat the flaming ember out, fully unburned, and it trailed a smoke. The smoke fell on the shape of the horses that he conjured to pull his mobile home.

He then started taking embers out of his little fire by hand and putting them into a pot he could let burn out without burning down the forest by a fire restarting after they left.

"Anyone riding on the wagon with me?"
Tilaleria
 Fellowship, 112 posts
 Messenger Girl
Mon 13 Jul 2015
at 07:05
Re: The Quest Begins
Tilaleria hoped onto the wagon next to Saxon. "I don't know how far I'm coming, but a lift would be appreciated" she said. "Feels odd to have an Ishtari scouting for us doesn't it" she chuckled as she watched Radagast leave in the sledge that made her laugh every time she looked at it.

"It's interesting that he said 'others are waiting'. Many more than we are now and we'll be an army!"
Borun Redbeard
 Fellowship, 114 posts
 Dwarf
 Monk/Empyreal sorcerer
Tue 14 Jul 2015
at 09:47
Re: The Quest Begins
Borun stared up at the wagon suspiciously. The Academy tutors had not taught him of this style of magic. "I'll scout ahead," he said aloud. "I can keep pace ahead of the... horses."

Before leaving, he turned to group. "Perhaps those of you staying with the wagon might permit me to cast a spell on you? It will help us to remain in contact."

OOC: Casts Message

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/message

Anira
 Fellowship, 24 posts
 Half-Elf
 Witch-Rogue
Tue 14 Jul 2015
at 13:12
Re: The Quest Begins
Introductions made, or not made however the case may be, Anira readied herself for a bit of a walk with the others.  "That would be fine with me, Master Redbeard," she agreed to the message spell.  Melda leaped from her shoulder and glided over to the wagon, flitting here and there with excitement as she checked out something new.
Saxon the Dead Smith
 Fellowship, 91 posts
Tue 14 Jul 2015
at 14:26
Re: The Quest Begins
"Given how things have gone so far I think we will see far far stranger things than one of them scouting for us. Though, given his record I don't mind at all that is. I challenge a beast to catch him and his adorable steeds."

"As far as an army? It wouldn't be unwelcome."



He eyeballed the critter checking out his wagon. "Just don't eat anything, not everything that looks yummy is on the wagon. Otherwise you will be fine."

once everyone was onboard who would be onboard was onboard, he just motioned for the horses to go and they started their endless charge after the brown wizard.
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 346 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Wed 15 Jul 2015
at 02:11
Re: The Quest Begins
The journey around the perimeter of the Mirkwood goes quickly and without incident. The group seems to be moving ahead of any potential threat.

Eventually you reach the southern tip.

Radagast is there waiting with three others.

He introduces Elmohtar, Garan and Grimfast.
Anira
 Fellowship, 25 posts
 Half-Elf
 Witch-Rogue
Thu 16 Jul 2015
at 16:41
Re: The Quest Begins
"She just ate so your things should be safe.  Now if she finds a comfy spot, she'll curl up for a nice nap," Anira said with a merry chuckle to Saxon as they began their trek in the wake of Radagast and his rabbits.  She would chat amiably with anyone along the way or fall into a comfortable silence when others wished.  At last they saw their familiar friend and a few others who were introduced.  "Well met Elmohtar, Garan, and Grimfast," she greeted the unusual trio but accepted them readily because of their association with her mentor.  Their group was sizing up rather nicely, quite formidable really.
Tilaleria
 Fellowship, 113 posts
 Messenger Girl
Thu 16 Jul 2015
at 18:34
Re: The Quest Begins
Tilaleria gave a polite nod of greeting to the three newcomers while introducing herself.

After that she asked a general question

"I gather this fellowship is intended to find the Ent Wifes. A laudable goal. I understand that we have a magical means of tracking them. Have we done even the simplest of triangulation yet that would give us a rough estimate of where we are going and how far away it is?"
Radagast the Brown
 Istari, 22 posts
 Druid
 Wizard
Fri 17 Jul 2015
at 07:43
Re: The Quest Begins
"The device is not that precise," Radagast replies to Tilaleria. "But, no, I have not tried triangulation yet as we've only had the one bearing from the northern Mirkwood. I was planning on taking another here at the southern tip."

"It is magical; it does not have the precision of a compass. Maps are not always to precise scale; such detail has never been needed."

"We know that the Entwives are only to the East. We think beyond the Brown Lands, of course, for nothing lives in the Brown Lands any more."

"We will take a short rest again while I tend to a few things."

"I must set my Rhosgobel rabbits loose. I dare not take them into the Brown Lands, and Mirkwood is their home. I do not know how well they would fare on their own if I set them loose out on the plains."

"I have meager supplies on my sled, Saxon, but might they find a place in your wagon?"

"Also, unless the wheels of your wagon are magical, you might want to replace them with skids. Where we are bound there are no roads. The wheels are apt to break on rough terrain."

"I have an alternate... or perhaps additional solution."


From under his shaggy beard, he extracts a necklace, perhaps worn around his own neck. It is composed of a fine silver chain with 5 mother-of-pearl disks suspended from it. Each disk is approximately 3" in diameter.

"This was a gift from the Magician of Kos. He called it a necklace of storage. I surmised that he was getting too old to lug around a backpack any more, so he created this clever item."

"Each disk allows you to store an item within it. On the back is enscribed the secret word that stores the item or releases it. Each only works once. You cannot store living things, though. So you can store your wagon on a disk until you needed it."

"Alas, it does give you the comfort of the ride, but I fear it would not do so where we are bound."


He then sets about unharnessing the rabbits, talking to each one as he does so. They clearly seem reluctant to leave, and he has to shoo them off.

Next, he turns to Tavaro.

"Tavaro, I know there are places across the land that make you... uncomfortable, and you do not go there. But I am afraid those are the very places we must go. Will you still go with us?"
Tavaro
 Fellowship, 60 posts
 Maiar Undine
 Druid/Mighty Godling
Fri 17 Jul 2015
at 09:07
Re: The Quest Begins
The sky replied in a mournful tone, a voice carried on the wind as if from afar.

"Follow I will, across land and sea.
But in places of men, I cannot be.
I am in the rock and stone, river and tree
But men took those away from me."


The last verse was spoken in anger, and for a moment the sky grew a bit darker as if a thunderstorm approached, but it passed as soon as it came.

This message was last edited by the player at 09:08, Fri 17 July 2015.

Saxon the Dead Smith
 Fellowship, 92 posts
Fri 17 Jul 2015
at 13:40
Re: The Quest Begins
Saxon rubbed the back of his head, "I think it will be more wise to put skidds on the wagon. There are many issues that a good amount of shade and a barrel of water can solve. The wagon can help us dodge many brown land issues."
Tilaleria
 Fellowship, 115 posts
 Messenger Girl
Fri 17 Jul 2015
at 15:26
Re: The Quest Begins
"We won't run out of water, and shade is easy to get" Tilaleria pointed out. "The simplest divine magic solves water problems, and we are all tough and won't collapse from a bit of heat. My experience is that wagon's cause many more problems than they solve, and are much less comfortable and maneuverable than a horse. Still if you like it, take it. Perhaps collapsing it into the necklace of storage would allow you to have access to it if you feel you need it."
Garan
 Fellowship, 28 posts
 Half-Orc
 Bloodrager
Fri 17 Jul 2015
at 17:06
Re: The Quest Begins
Garan greeted the others as he was introduced, his towering and intimidating form belied his relatively genial nature. "I don't mind carrying extra supplies if we can't fit them within that magic doodad or otherwise modify the cart." His mouth turned up at one corner at a half-grin at a thought he had but didn't share with the group - he could probably carry one or two of them and all their gear without much issue.

His eyebrows furrowed a bit, "I would like to hear a bit more about this task and who these 'ent-wives' are we're supposed to be looking for. I'm afraid I don't know much about... them." Garan's voice was slightly accented, to those that had done some traveling, he almost certainly came from far to the south.
Radagast the Brown
 Istari, 23 posts
 Druid
 Wizard
Sat 18 Jul 2015
at 07:42
Re: The Quest Begins
"Surely you've learned about the birds and the bees by now?!" Radagast says in mock astonishment. "Except for fungus, all living things that produce offspring have a male and a female. The Ents are no different. Their counterparts are the Entari... in Commonspeak, Entwives."

"When Sauron came out of Mordor in the Second Age, he destroyed an area of land that we now call the Brown Lands. Not even the Elves have a word for that. This was the area where the Entwives kept their gardens. Sauron destroyed it in order to deny the advancing army the bountiful resources there. It was thought that the Entwives were destroyed as well, though Treebeard maintained that they were 'lost'."

"He wouldn't or couldn't elaborate on that, but for the longest time, we all thought that was merely his way of saying that they were dead."

"Ents are quite difficult to understand even at the best of times, and this was definitely not one of those. In a life that spans centuries, it is hard to say what passes for time for them. They are slow to think, slower still to act. For all we know, they have spent the past hundred years grieving."

"It only recently came to my attention that they were not dead after all. After pondering this information, it finally occurred to be that if they were truly only lost, then they had to be in the East... driven beyond mortal ken."

"I doubt if any of you tell me any details about the East. That is because only four  people have ever gone there since the Second Age and returned--Sauron, who gathered an army from the  inhabitants; Saruman, who went with the Blue Wizards; and Aragorn and Eomer to flush out remaining enemies. None have talked about it, though, so it remains unknown. We do not know how far those people went."

"I believe, however, that that is where we shall find the Entwives. Getting there will be a perilous journey. The area is vast and may very well be filled with dangers not yet conceived."


Although he was answering Garan, he elaborated for any others that may not have heard the full story yet.
Saxon the Dead Smith
 Fellowship, 93 posts
Sat 18 Jul 2015
at 14:20
Re: The Quest Begins
Saxon was broody with all the talk of the wagon not being able to make the trip. To his experience it had always been a boon when it came to the vast amount of alchemical components he needed for his trade. "Each disk of the amulet works once ever or just stores only one item? I would hate for you to burn out your talisman on my wagon when a few hours of work can allow it to move just as well in the coming areas."

"As far as the lady plants, I don't think they would be very happy without their gardens. I have little doubt they have set up new gardens just separated by the blighted lands."

Lady Isile
 Fellowship, 147 posts
 Moriquende
 Sorceress/Oracle
Sat 18 Jul 2015
at 14:39
Re: The Quest Begins
Lady Isilë never descend down to meet the newcomer, keeping in the sky where she knew she was safe from the Shadows that lurk on the ground.

Once the group was ready to move forward she then allowed herself to come down to meet the second group that Radagast was waiting with.

"Greetings all, I'm Lady Isilë as most elves she was an exotic beauty that time hasn't touched.
Anira
 Fellowship, 26 posts
 Half-Elf
 Witch-Rogue
Sat 18 Jul 2015
at 14:40
Re: The Quest Begins
"I think the skids are a good idea and while it may be a tad slower, it offers more than just shade and a means of storing items.  If someone is injured badly enough, we can transport them more easily and without having to take time or worry that we don't have the means of making a stretcher," Anira offered.  "Perhaps if necessary we could store it but for now I don't see the harm in continuing to use the wagon."

She'd gone quiet as Radagast spoke of the Entwives, a topic he'd talked about before with her and she smiled wistfully.  It was like sitting by the fire again, her eyes wide as she drank in every word.  "I think Saxon may have a good point," she said, her wish to restore a part of nature obvious in her expression.  "Even if we don't know the area, others there would and it may be we might hear of newer gardens which could help us find them."
Radagast the Brown
 Istari, 24 posts
 Druid
 Wizard
Sat 18 Jul 2015
at 17:17
Re: The Quest Begins
Radagast helps fashion the skids for the wagon, gathering fallen wood from the forest and shaping it to his needs. He makes three long flat pieces per runner and then glues them together, curves the front upward, and then fastens two upright supports to them so that they form a triangle. The supports are made of soft springy wood from saplings so that they are flexible, and once the wagon wheels are removed, no doubt with help from Garan, Radagast fastens the apex of the triangle to the axle with vines.

Once he and Saxon are satisfied with the alterations to the wagon, he steps a bit away from everyone and pulls out the amulet. After a moment of concentration he puts it away.

"Still to the east. It indicates a broad sweeping direction, not a straight-as-an-arrow line. It will work more precisely the closer we get. I hope."

"Alas, I do not know if it will be necessary until after we have tried it, but I believe we need to go through the Brown Lands to try and find a trail. Yes, it is very old, but the Brown Lands have not changed in that time."

"Time to go, then. Might I ride with you, Saxon? My old bones have changed; I am not nearly so nimble any more."

Tilaleria
 Fellowship, 116 posts
 Messenger Girl
Sat 18 Jul 2015
at 21:23
Re: The Quest Begins
"I have thought about this and will accompany you" Tilaleria said. It had taken some time to sort the wagon out, and she had used that time to consider her options

"It is perhaps time that we set off" and with that she summoned her horse and mounted it.
Saxon the Dead Smith
 Fellowship, 94 posts
Sat 18 Jul 2015
at 21:32
Re: The Quest Begins
Saxon smiled wide, "Not so nimble for a true elf, but I would bet my bones you are a far cry sharper than nearly all who still live. However, I will always have a seat on my wagon for you. As a point I would be honored if you would master my little caravan."

"The horses are no rabits but they will not give up ground to them either. The reins are yours fie the taking master Radagast."

Radagast the Brown
 Istari, 25 posts
 Druid
 Wizard
Sat 18 Jul 2015
at 21:48
Re: The Quest Begins
"Ah, Tilaleria, your choice gladdens my heart," the Istari Druid replies to her.

"Very well, Saxon. I shall take it slow at first until I get used to wagon's idiosyncracies. It is not nearly as small and flexible as my sled, but then we are not bounding through dense forest either."

"I daresay Borun and Borjnen would prefer to ride in the wagon for this next leg of the journey. Although not in a hurry, we shall cover ground quickly. If you feel you may not be able to keep up with Saxon's witch-horses, by all means, climb aboard!"


"We travel south along the western edge of the Brown Lands, getting a feel for them as we go. Upon reaching the middle, we will then head east through them."


As soon as Saxon's horses are summoned, he has them spring forward, pulling the wagon almost effortlessly.
Saxon the Dead Smith
 Fellowship, 95 posts
Sat 18 Jul 2015
at 21:58
Re: The Quest Begins
"Tila my dear, its good that you decided to come with us. We need every ray of light we can get."

"Though I can't help but enjoy the opportunity to get to know our kind, and yourself better. Least now there are more to share the jarring questions."


Saxon secured himself on top of the wagon with a lashing to a ring he used for mounting ale when he made it. It provided the beast view now he had someone who really knew how to drive.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:00, Sat 18 July 2015.

Azurak the Blue
 GM, 350 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Sat 18 Jul 2015
at 22:06
Re: The Quest Begins
The Fellowship heads out as Radagast prompts the phantom steeds forward. It is close to a hundred miles south to reach the Brown Lands, sprinting across rolling plains.

Tavaro is the wind itself, for now, and Lady Isile also takes to the sky as a bird. Tilaleria's horse matches Saxon's.

After an hour, Saxon is amazed at how quickly Radagast drives the wagon, slipping effortlessly over low hill and shallow dale, at times even going airborne yet coming down as gently as a feather.

It seems as if Radagast knows the land quite well, or else his perception is rather keen, for he avoids the rocks and steeper hillsides with unerring accuracy.


The Fellowship travels all day, only coming to a stop as the sun starts to dip behind the western mountains.

It is time to set up camp.

You'll reach the north tip of the Brown Lands my mid-morning on the morrow, and the mid point by noon.

So you can discuss whatever sub-groups you feel you should split up into.
Borjnen Boulderol
 Fellowship, 42 posts
 Dwarf
 Barbarian/Hill Giant/Ftr
Sat 18 Jul 2015
at 22:23
Re: The Quest Begins
Acknowledgement of the newcomers had come in the form of a few curt nods, obviously more or less too lost in thought to worry too much for those that had just arrived. It really was only a matter of time before they would be set upon by the enemy.
Really he wasnt so much concerned for himself as he was for those around him. He knew little of those joining, would they be an asset or a hinderance? Time would tell.

He watched silently, listening intently as the sled came together. Not much one for convenience it would certainly be better than walking, assuming it was faster.

Stepping onto the sled he looks to Rhadagast, "This will work for now, if we are ready now would be a good time to be back to the trail."
Tavaro
 Fellowship, 62 posts
 Maiar Undine
 Druid/Mighty Godling
Sat 18 Jul 2015
at 22:46
Re: The Quest Begins
As the traveling companions settled for the night, a mighty oaken tree grew next to the wagon at astonishing rate. Mighty were its branches, deep its roots. And on its mighty bark grew a weathered and old face looking down at Saxon. It seemed wrinkled and sagelike. With a deep sigh it moved its lips. "Saxon it is you are called? You spoke earlier of Tom Bombadil and the River-daughter. Will you share with me your tale of how you came to know them?"
Saxon the Dead Smith
 Fellowship, 96 posts
Sat 18 Jul 2015
at 23:36
Re: The Quest Begins
Every part of him wanted to run. Trees that moved are trees that hunt. He was so use to old oaks trying to run him down that it was second nature to be ready to leap out if the way.

Still, he kept cooking evening meal. "I make my home in the old wood, a good walk south and a bit toward the barrows from Tom's home."

"Ehhhh, I figure its better you know now than get a surprise later."

"There was a tree long dead that still walked. Corrupted bears lived in that clearing in the old forest as well. It threatened my home so I did my name sake. I went into the barrows and made the dancing dead dance to my own tune. Then I sent them to stomp out the infection before sending them home."

"Shortly there after; Tom, Radagast, and the river daughter came bursting into my glade looking for a necromancer. Well, Tom and Radagast burst in, she had much more grace about it."

"What they found was me, as a child, making dried fish steaks with lemon juice."

"I had Radagast and Tom bound up in an alchemical spell, for all the good it did, but the river daughter talked it out."

"From then on I learned from them. Tom taught me song and root. Radagast taught me words and numbers, and the lovely daughter taught me the names of things and how to not take it too far."


He shrugged, "I enjoy working to help them rather than doing my own thing. They are kind enough to tolerate me, so I aim to keep paying it back."
Tilaleria
 Fellowship, 117 posts
 Messenger Girl
Sun 19 Jul 2015
at 04:19
Re: The Quest Begins
"Well that was a good journey" Tilaleria observed "it is rare I travel with others that can keep up with me and yet today I was the one struggling"

"Your magical location, Radagast... However far are we away from our target.. You said a long way this morning, so perhaps you will get a feeling for the number of days travel we have to do if we try again today"

"We need to discuss watches and things as well. I have no idea how many of you require sleep"


OOC YOu said 'discuss splitting up? Why would we want to split up? Are we 'there' even if we are, why would we want to split up (other than to send our aerial scouts out)
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 351 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Sun 19 Jul 2015
at 05:40
Re: The Quest Begins
OOC: Some players might feel that too many characters in one group would get confusing. Splitting up into 3 smaller groups, all still heading in the same direction, would let you cover more ground. At night, you could always regroup and compare notes. It doesn't matter either way for me.
Elmohtar
 Fellowship, 27 posts
 Aasimar
 Menhir Savant/Priest
Sun 19 Jul 2015
at 06:36
Re: The Quest Begins
Elmohtar is a little overwhelmed by all the people his Master has gathered. His master! And yet, now it seems that Radagast is the master of many, and he himself just one of many followers. It shouldn't make a difference - the important thing was the big picture, the battle between good and evil and all that. But still...

Elmohtar motions for his great bird to pick him up, and he spends the first day of travel pondering all that has happened. It occurs to him that he doesn't fully understand why they are seeking the Entwives. When the group gathers for camp that night he approaches Radagast.

"Why are we searching for the Entwives instead of going after The Necromnacer? Who knows what evil he will raise by the time we get back from our journey?"
Saxon the Dead Smith
 Fellowship, 97 posts
Mon 20 Jul 2015
at 03:30
Re: The Quest Begins
"When it comes to rest Tila, I still need to sleep. Though I trade off with my guardian when I sleep out in the world, as we are now."


Elmohtar:
"Why are we searching for the Entwives instead of going after The Necromnacer? Who knows what evil he will raise by the time we get back from our journey?"


Without looking away from the skillet that he was using to cook his meal, Saxon raised his hand. He had a very powerful guess, but in the end it was still a guess. However, the scents of seasoned porkchops started wafting about his wagon. If there was anything Saxon liked to do, it was cook.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:32, Mon 20 July 2015.

Radagast the Brown
 Istari, 26 posts
 Druid
 Wizard
Mon 20 Jul 2015
at 04:13
Re: The Quest Begins
"Alas, that is not a simple question to answer," Radagast replies to Elmohtar.

"First of all, we do not actually know that there is a Necromancer. He may just be calling himself a Necromancer without actually being one. All we have so far are indications, which could be someone trying to hide their identity or real intentions. That doesn't necessarily make them any less dangerous, of course, but we are... well, dancing in the dark."

"Secondly, there are a group of Keepers in the Mirkwood already thwarting this Necromancer's efforts."

"Third, well, there are rumblings that Sauron may be trying to return. It is not for me to say 'yea' or 'nay' on the matter, as the White and the Gray are looking into it. What I can do is to make sure that the there are still Ents around if he does return. It is uncertain if Sauron understood the significance of the Ents in Middle Earth, but it seems doubtful."

"As long as there are Ents, Sauron can never succeed in his dark plans. Even if you told him that, he would refuse to believe it, perhaps be incapable of believing it. Sadly, the Ents are dying out. No new Entlings are being created. The Ents need the Entwives for that, and vice versa."

"Finally, it is a worthwhile cause, and I choose to pursue it."

Saxon the Dead Smith
 Fellowship, 98 posts
Mon 20 Jul 2015
at 04:27
Re: The Quest Begins
Saxon pulled a covered pot off of his fire and drew from its contents. He placed it in a large mug and then poured some of his cider into the mix. He walked up to Radagast and handed him a plate with the mug. "Hot veggies and a mug of cider with a roasted apple in it. I know you don't really eat meat. Anyone else is welcome to food as well. I have a few days more before hunting becomes a need."

"As far as a necromancer. It would be better to call it a Her until gender is confirmed. Women make better necromancers due to the fact they have much more powerful minds when it comes to attention to detail. However, calling someone a necromancer is like calling Radagast a woodsman. It is not something you are any more than I can pick up a bow and shoot an arrow. To think along lines like that will leave you slightly blind to all the other tricks such people can do."

"The most common tricks come from mimicking the existing template. Corrupting the living and using the bones of things long dead and forgotten. If given oodles of time they can start making new things like skin kytes or bone golems."

"As far as stopping a necromancer. The most common tacit is to burn the bodies and starve him of much needed resources. Better the dead rest than to dance to the strings of one who desires harm unto the living. Kin shouldn't ever fight their ancestors."

"however, the best option is direct confrontation when such a person is at their weakest. Daylight, away from their demense, and made silent so they cannot give commands. That will eliminate the minded undead but they will still have access to their kabered husks."

"The absolute prime option is to fight fire with fire, blow for blow, eye for an eye. A necromancer is one man or woman, they cannot sustain a prolonged campaign if they are unable to take time to recover."

Elmohtar
 Fellowship, 28 posts
 Aasimar
 Menhir Savant/Priest
Mon 20 Jul 2015
at 04:50
Re: The Quest Begins
"I understand." Elmohtar replies. "I did not know about the Keepers."

He wonders why his master is still not certain that there is a Necromancer. Anyone who killed people and turned them into wights more than qualifies for the title in his mind, but Radagast might attribute more to the term than just the creation of undead.

He eats from the food Saxon had cooked, and drinks from the cider, listening politely to the lecture about necromancers.
Borun Redbeard
 Fellowship, 115 posts
 Dwarf
 Monk/Empyreal sorcerer
Fri 24 Jul 2015
at 16:47
Re: The Quest Begins
Borun politely declined to travel on the wagon. "I'll walk if that's okay," he said. He was confident that his Academy training would allow him to keep up with the horse-drawn wagon.

If somehow Master Radagast magically altered the horses to pull the the wagon faster, however, then Borun would have to swallow his pride.
Anira
 Fellowship, 27 posts
 Half-Elf
 Witch-Rogue
Fri 24 Jul 2015
at 17:39
Re: The Quest Begins
Anira would offer to help with the cooking and also cast a spell for the secure cottage the smaller group had utilized.  "It has eight bunks but if some don't mind sleeping on the floor, we can get more inside," she informed the newer additions to their group.  "We fit all of us and Radagast's rabbits so we should all fit rather comfortably and it has enchantments to keep us safe."  She listened to the discussion as she ate while the little squirrel scampered about her, taking a few seeds and nuts for its meal.
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 353 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Fri 24 Jul 2015
at 19:29
Re: The Quest Begins
Borun can't keep up with the wagon across the open fields because Radagast is determined to cover a lot of ground before nightfall. In general, the wagon travels twice as far as it would normally be able to move.

It's like riding a roller coaster for 8 hours.

Anira creates her protective cottage again, and other than the occasional howl of a distant wolf, the night passes uneventfully.

Heading out into the Brown Lands will be at a more sedate pace, as everyone needs to search for signs... something to indicate that the Entwives went this way.
Arithal Kodiak
 Outrider, 24 posts
 Human Male
 Druid/Monk
Fri 24 Jul 2015
at 19:34
Re: The Quest Begins
"I think the idea of splitting up is a good one," Arithal announces. "Not for safety reasons, of course, but so that we can search more ground. We will not be so far apart that we can't come to others' assistance if they need it."

"Does that sound alright to the rest of you?"

"Otorno and I will take the left flank. Will anyone join me?"

Tilaleria
 Fellowship, 118 posts
 Messenger Girl
Fri 24 Jul 2015
at 19:40
Re: The Quest Begins
" Well that was hectic" Tilaleria observed "I've never ridden that fast in company before! Does your magical 'which way are the Ent-wives' give us any clue about whether we are close yet" she asked Rafagast as she helped prepare breakfast

"Personally I'm not keen on splitting." She observered in answer to Arithal's question. "We are following a magical device, if we travel fast we will get there sooner. If we split we can't travel so fast as we have to coordinate our activities, and few of us can keep up with Radagast"

"I see that there is a suggestion that we slow down and look for tracks. I would like to propose that we don't"

"If we were to cut for tracks of Entwives... Well I don't know what they look like... Or have any reason to beleive we will see any. So we would be halving or quartering our speed for no perceivable gain that I can see. Given we have a magical device that is taking us to them"

"Perhaps I am missing something obvious.."

This message was last edited by the player at 19:44, Fri 24 July 2015.

Anira
 Fellowship, 28 posts
 Half-Elf
 Witch-Rogue
Fri 24 Jul 2015
at 19:51
Re: The Quest Begins
"Sometimes when you hurry and don't pay attention to clues, not just of what you are tracking but of other things about, you end up never reaching your goal," Anira replied calmly to the impatient Tilaleria.  "Whether we stay as one group or divide, Radagast thinks we should slow down a bit and I agree."

Turning to Arithal, she inclined her head and then sighed as Melda darted from one shoulder to the next via the path over her head which flicked some of her hair over her face.  "If we do split, I would go with you," she offered to the man who had a companion himself.
Tilaleria
 Fellowship, 119 posts
 Messenger Girl
Fri 24 Jul 2015
at 20:15
Re: The Quest Begins
"I would agree with you if we didn't have a magical direction device" Tilaleria pointed out. "There is no reason this particular patch of wasteland has any more 'clues' than the ones we will spend at the far end. There are potentially around tens of thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands of square miles between us and there. Even spliting into say three groups we are unlikely to find things"

"Surely having aerial scouts to see anything obvious and then making good progress is a better plan?"

"If the powers that be
she was careful not to look at Rafagast "wish us to accidentally find that needle in a haystack, then we will find it. If we are looking go for ent wife clues that are newer than an Age or two old, that are more obvious from the ground than the air, then perhaps we would be better spending our time looking for those clues where the Ent-wives are..."

OOC I'm looking for a credible IC reason and not hearing one. Come up with one and I'm a happy bunny. I don't like metagming if we can avoid it. I will of course if the majority want it. I thought quite hard and cannot think of a single reason why it is better to split up and go slow at the moment. Going slower maybe...but aerial scouts are good... Traveling faster than most messengers means people behind us cannot report is to people in front...etc etc
Saxon the Dead Smith
 Fellowship, 99 posts
Fri 24 Jul 2015
at 21:34
Re: The Quest Begins
Saxon pressed his lips in a thin line. "A flower..." he looked up from the dishes he was cleaning and sorting. "It is to my understanding the ent wives are paragon Gardiners. The sign of a master in the green thumb is in the simple yet elegant. If I had to guess it will be a large white flower, very healthy, with color flowing into its center. It is about the only sign I can think of."

Once everything was sorted he took his boots off and stood in the fire that made the morning meal. "Going to summon red to keep an eye out with us. This will take a moment." he breathed out smoke as he worked his little ritual.
Tilaleria
 Fellowship, 120 posts
 Messenger Girl
Fri 24 Jul 2015
at 21:38
Re: The Quest Begins
"Such a thing is more likely to be seen by our aerial scouts" Tilaleria said listening with interest "The eyes of a hawk could make that out while half a mile high, and cover a lot of range as we travel. Still it is certainly worth keeping our eyes open for such things"
Radagast the Brown
 Istari, 27 posts
 Druid
 Wizard
Sat 25 Jul 2015
at 03:15
Re: The Quest Begins
"Yes, we have a magical device that tells us the Entwives were alive a year ago," Radagast said. "It seems to indicate that they are to the East. We no longer know much about the East, so I cannot say that the amulet is truly accurate."

"I do not rush into danger unless I have to. I want to know what happened to the Entwives as much as where they are now, for the former may aid us in returning them."

"I do not think it will be so simple as to just go find them and bring them back. I feel there is more going on here than we know. It is clues to that which I hope to find on the ground. Aerial scouts can spot the obvious, I do not deny that. But there can easily be subtle clues that elude them."

"As a messenger, Tilaleria, you're focus is beginning and end. You have little interest in that which you pass by, unless it seeks to handicap you in some way."

"We are also venturing into forgotten lands, unknown territory and mysterious places. We could easily find ourselves in dire straits if we rush in."

Saxon the Dead Smith
 Fellowship, 100 posts
Sat 25 Jul 2015
at 03:31
Re: The Quest Begins
Barab finished his little ritual and a red robed figure stepped out of him. The figure then hopped like it had a hot foot and hopped out of the fire. When it turned Barab had his finger to his lips. He then handed over his black blade to his body guard and smiled.

"If people get lost I can make a beacon in the sky for a short time, it would be clear as day if looked for at night, but it doesn't last long at all. There is, indeed, safty in numbers. However, there is also something to be said for the fact that we would cover much more ground if we are separate."

"More importantly, the fact we are in a large group like this will attract the enemy very quickly. We are like a room full of candles right now, the light is peeking out of the trees for all to see."

"With that in mind we need to either separate to dim the light or prepare for the big nastiest that will come at us head on."

Tilaleria
 Fellowship, 121 posts
 Messenger Girl
Sat 25 Jul 2015
at 08:57
Re: The Quest Begins
Tilaleria just didn't agree with Radagast's words. But as he was in charge she nodded her head and just gave him a worried look. It was clear to her that if Radagast cared about the Entwifes with the current group he would move fast. With aerial scouts moving fast was far and away the safest option, as well as the fastest. Splitting up increased dramatically the chance that the bad guys would accidentally bump into them, slowing down also increased dramatically the chance that messages would get in front of them alerting the bad guys in their path. Only a madman or a fool would give away this tactical advantage. Unless..

Her thoughts continued

So either Radagast was getting senile, or he had more than one agenda here. She hopped the latter. The former was extremely distressing.

Sighing she took her breakfast and ate it, thinking dark thoughts. Perhaps this is why her mistress had sent her, so that she could see this for herself. It wouldn't be the first time she'd been asked to be a spy as well as a messenger, despite Radagast's comments she was extremely perceptive about the lands she rode through.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:59, Sat 25 July 2015.

Tavaro
 Fellowship, 63 posts
 Maiar Undine
 Druid/Mighty Godling
Sat 25 Jul 2015
at 19:47
Re: The Quest Begins
The Tavaro-tree suddenly shook. "Ooooh.... Oohhh.... I fell asleep. Hrm. I always fall asleep when I am a tree. There is something about stretching out one's roots and just soaking in the moisture of the earth that makes me doze off.. Hrm..." The eyes of the face looked around the camp drowsily and slow. "Settling for the night, yes. Don't worry, I will keep an eye out tonight. These few hours have refreshed me enough, hrm, yes."
Radagast the Brown
 Istari, 28 posts
 Druid
 Wizard
Sat 25 Jul 2015
at 21:39
Re: The Quest Begins
"You slept through the night, Tavaro," Radagast said to the nature spirit.

"It is morning, and we enter the Brown Lands now."

"Arithal and Anira will take the left flank. I would prefer Elmohtar and Tilaleria to take the right flank."

"Saxon and his wagon should stay in the middle, as perhaps should the Dwarves."

"Any other preferences?"

Azurak the Blue
 GM, 354 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Sat 25 Jul 2015
at 21:56
Re: The Quest Begins
There is a tangible benefit to forming a Fellowship. As long as you are with the Fellowship, you gain 10 additional Hit Points, and a +2 bonus to all attack rolls, saving throws and skill checks.
Elmohtar
 Fellowship, 29 posts
 Aasimar
 Menhir Savant/Priest
Sun 26 Jul 2015
at 06:24
Re: The Quest Begins
"Certainly." Elmohtar tells his master, and the turns to Tilaleria. "My preferred method of travel is flying, since we will probably be able to scan more ground from above. If you'd like, my bird can carry you. It takes a little getting used to, but ultimately most people who tried it have enjoyed the experience... though, admittedly, these people include only me so far, so the statistical significance of that may be too low to make any predictions regarding your own experience."
Tavaro
 Fellowship, 64 posts
 Maiar Undine
 Druid/Mighty Godling
Sun 26 Jul 2015
at 09:04
Re: The Quest Begins
"Morning? Hrm... That's no good..." The tree shook its limbs, and the form shrank down to a new form. On two hooves it walked, and long fur it bore. Two arms and stubby hands it had. But it also bore branches on its back, as if it were yet part tree. Its head was like that of a goat, with a long, draping beard, but it had long ears like a wolf. And on its head it had antlers of wood, which in turn bore green leafs. But strangest of all were its eyes, for they were like blue pools reflecting a white moon.

It took a few steps walking over to Landroval who had nested nearby for the night. Then raised its nose to the air. Taking a few sniffs he looked back at Radagast. "I do not like these brown lands. No life, only rock and stone. And I smell Orcs in the distance."

OOC: Tavaro's current form:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent....emonboi2-d3ec6fm.jpg

This message was last edited by the player at 09:05, Sun 26 July 2015.

Tilaleria
 Fellowship, 122 posts
 Messenger Girl
Sun 26 Jul 2015
at 09:15
Re: The Quest Begins
"I'd like to try that Elmohtar" Tilaleria said looking up from her dark thoughts "I'd like that quite a lot actually. It sounds awesome. I can't fly though, so if I fell off ... " she slammed one hand against another "we are talking strawberry jam time. Would there be a way to tie myself onto you?"
Garan
 Fellowship, 29 posts
 Half-Orc
 Bloodrager
Sun 26 Jul 2015
at 10:38
Re: The Quest Begins
Tavaro:
"I do not like these brown lands. No life, only rock and stone. And I smell Orcs in the distance."


Garan, who'd mostly been keeping to himself and doing some menial work as they set up their base in the evenings, lifted an arm and took a whiff of himself. "That... may be me. Still, if there are others - real orcs," apparently he didn't consider himself a real orc, despite having many of the physical characteristics of one, "then we may want to either draw them out or otherwise dissuade them."

He snapped his head left and right, popping the joints in his neck, and then flexed his shoulders. "I could go... discourage them, if we want."

He considered also Radagast's assignments and shrugged when prompted for input. Such tactical considerations weren't really his forte. He'd do as he was told, but, as in the case with potential orcs, he'd prefer straightforward confrontations over ambushes or sneaking about.
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 355 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Sun 26 Jul 2015
at 19:59
Re: The Quest Begins
The orcs that Tavaro detected were around 100 miles distant to the southeast, probably near or in Mordor. They aren't near and don't appear to be heading your way.
Sky Sheer'enn
 Outrider, 103 posts
 Elf
 Fighter/Archer/Driuid/
Sun 26 Jul 2015
at 20:17
Re: The Quest Begins
 After leaving the group to go back for her fathers death and funeral, Sky took her families fastest horse She rode at full speed all night. As Sky rode up a small knoll, she  witnessed the sun peaking above the earth. Sky's horse was on the brink of death. Just then Sky spotted a small camp. Sky slowly approached ready for anything.
Elmohtar
 Fellowship, 30 posts
 Aasimar
 Menhir Savant/Priest
Mon 27 Jul 2015
at 04:59
Re: The Quest Begins
"That would be pleasant." Elmohtar replied to Tilaleria, "But not practical. Carrying the both of us would be too much. I can assume the form of a hawk, though, so if you fall I'll be able to... inform your next of kin? No, no, you won't fall. You'll be fine. It'll be fun. And I know a spell that will allow you to fly of your own accord for a little while, enough to land safely should it be needed."

He suggests to the others who displayed the ability to fly the previous day to join Telaleria and himself.
Radagast the Brown
 Istari, 29 posts
 Druid
 Wizard
Mon 27 Jul 2015
at 08:08
Re: The Quest Begins
"Greetings, Sky!" Radagast calls out to the Elvin Archer. "I'm sorry to hear about your loss, but naturally I am glad that you could still join us."

As he talks, he approaches her horse and soothes it with but a touch, and its exhaustion dissipates.

"He still needs water and feed and a bit of rest, but we are only walking."

He produces an apple from a pocket and feeds it to the horse.

He then addresses the rest of the group, introducing them all to Sky. He then continues...

"Putting all of our flyers into one group would not be the best use of their talents," Radagast suggests.

"I'd much prefer to see... Jak and Orndir go with you, Elmohtar, even if they can't fly. A variety of perspectives and abilities will suit us the best."

"Likewise, I think Garan and... and Sky should join Arithal and Anira."

"That would leave Borjnen, Borun, Grimfast, Saxon, Tavaro and myself in the center, with Lady Isile being our main flying scout... at least through the Brown Lands."

"I cannot say if we will be able to camp in the Brown Lands... I fear not, so we may have to push through to the other side. If we do camp, we should all regroup."

"If that is acceptable to you all, then we will begin our trek."

Tilaleria
 Fellowship, 123 posts
 Messenger Girl
Mon 27 Jul 2015
at 08:57
Re: The Quest Begins
Tilaleria looked a little sad as she responded to Elmohtar "I thank you for the offer and I will think on how to make it safe. Perhaps one of my kin can teach me a spell that allows falling safely. But until then, or we work out a way for a saddle that will prevent me falling off in the event of a problem, I'll take a horse and cover the right flank as Radagast suggests"

With a whistle she summoned her horse, whispered words of greeting in its ear and leapt upon it
Garan
 Fellowship, 30 posts
 Half-Orc
 Bloodrager
Mon 27 Jul 2015
at 10:28
Re: The Quest Begins
"Just one question before we split up," Garan said, "You said we'd probably have to push through the region - do you know how far it stretches?"
Elmohtar
 Fellowship, 31 posts
 Aasimar
 Menhir Savant/Priest
Mon 27 Jul 2015
at 13:34
Re: The Quest Begins
Elmohtar nods: "Very well. I will keep an eye on the right flank from above, and direct you to anything unusual I may find. Let us set out."

He motions for his great bird, which slowly descends to the ground. It's nearly as big as a horse, but probably not as strong, or as suited to carry a rider. It is evident that it will have trouble carrying more than one person.

But one person it can carry with relative ease. Elmohtar climbs on its back, and they set off.
Jak
 Fellowship, 47 posts
 Human
 Fighter/Magus
Mon 27 Jul 2015
at 18:16
Re: The Quest Begins
Jak had taken some time to catch up with the group, having spent some time tracking the spider that had escaped him, but to no avail. In fact, he'd only just caught up  with the others this morning, somewhat withdrawn, though seemingly no worse off for his wasted effort. He nods to Radagast, as he is mentioned, moving over to join the discussion.

"I find the plan agreeable. I'm sure an aerial scout will be a most welcome boon to those of us forced to navigate the way on foot."

Aquitting himself, he moves over to Tila and Elmohtar next, as they are making preparations to mount up.

"It seems we shall be in each others' company for the next leg of this journey, then. If you'll pardon my nosiness, I believe I have something that may be of use to you, Tilaleria."

Holding up his hand, he pulls off what appears to be a relatively plain ring made of tarnished silver metal, and offers it to her.

"This ring might look plain, but it is possessed with powerful magic that allows it's wearer to fall from any height in safety. I've never really had a use for it aside from as a pretty knicknack, preferring my feet on the ground where they belong, but perhaps you would like to borrow it?"

This message was last edited by the player at 20:46, Mon 27 July 2015.

Tilaleria
 Fellowship, 124 posts
 Messenger Girl
Mon 27 Jul 2015
at 18:31
Re: The Quest Begins
"On the other hand Elmohtar" Tilaleria said with a happy laugh. She'd had only gloomy things recently and this was a treasure, lifting her spirits tremendously "If you are still willing"

Smiling she turned and gave Jak a 'thank you look', her eyes telling him she really appreciated it. "Thank you" she said simply, and gave him a little bow, then impulsively stepped up and kissed him on the cheek. "I owe you" she said as she moved away and headed to Elmohtar

"Let's do this"
Radagast the Brown
 Istari, 30 posts
 Druid
 Wizard
Mon 27 Jul 2015
at 20:41
Re: The Quest Begins
"The actual extent of the Brown Lands seems to vary, though only by a few miles and by season," Radagast replies to Garan. "It is only a hundred miles or so across, and 150 miles north to south. If we have to push through the night, we can be on the other side by morning."
Sky Sheer'enn
 Fellowship, 104 posts
 Elf
 Fighter/Archer/Driuid/
Wed 29 Jul 2015
at 12:50
Re: The Quest Begins
 Sky thanked Ragagast for his condolincis for her fathers death as she dismounted her horse. "I hope my absense wasn't too much of a burden on everyone?" , said Sky with sincerity in her voice. "If anyone needs a mount they may use my mare Cora here. Or we also could use her to carry our supplies. After she walks off this long journey I have made.

She was happy to be back and ready for this adventure. Sky had mourned her father's death during the long ride so her mind was clear.

Sky said, "I don't know these lands well so I'm willing to separate into the groups you have suggested. Does anyone know what we might expect to run into while we cross?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:01, Wed 29 July 2015.

Anira
 Fellowship, 29 posts
 Half-Elf
 Witch-Rogue
Wed 29 Jul 2015
at 15:30
Re: The Quest Begins
Anira had seen the condition of the horse and had tears in her eyes as she too started to move toward the near-dead creature, only to stop when Radagast moved more quickly than she.  Thankfully it was not too far gone and would even be able to continue the trek, though she hoped Sky would not abuse it so again.  It was partly her job to make sure the group remained in good condition and she included the animals.  With the groups established, she moved over with Arithal and Garan.  "Ready whenever you are," she stated with a determined expression.
Anira
 Fellowship, 49 posts
 Half-Elf
 Witch-Rogue
Wed 13 Jul 2016
at 22:35
Re: The Quest Begins
The screetch and stench assaulted Anira's senses and she instinctively snapped up her mage shield then drew the flaming rapier which ignited in flames.  Turning to face the oncoming swarm, she lifted her arm and pointed her finger uttering the word "Fánaperyar."  A bolt of lightning streaked from the tip of her finger straight at the oncoming hellhawks, hoping to possibly deter them or at least wound as many as possible to make things easier for them.



17:20, Today: Anira rolled 28 using 10d6 with rolls of 1,1,3,2,4,4,3,4,5,1.  Lightning Bolt.  >.<  Couldn't even get half of the possible damage and Reflex saves means only 14 points of damage.

AC: 26
HP: 110/110


This message was last updated by the GM at 04:18, Thu 14 July 2016.