Chapter 6: The Quest Begins.   Posted by Azurak the Blue.Group: 0
Anira
 player, 12 posts
 Half-Elf
 Witch-Rogue
Tue 26 May 2015
at 21:28
Re: The Quest Begins
Anira kept up though she knew she would need to rest soon, probably at least a few of the others as well, so when Radagast paused and brought up their options Anira was glad to offer something.  "I can conjure a secure place for us, a cottage that will accommodate up to eight people.  We would have to build a fire for warmth but nothing should be able to breech us even through the chimney," she stated.  "It isn't anything fancy but would be better than mundane tents."



quote:
You conjure a sturdy cottage or lodge made of material that is common in the area where the spell is cast. The floor is level, clean, and dry. The lodging resembles a normal cottage, with a sturdy door, two shuttered windows, and a small fireplace.

The shelter must be heated as a normal dwelling, and extreme heat adversely affects it and its occupants. The dwelling does, however, provide considerable security otherwise - it is as strong as a normal stone building, regardless of its material composition. The dwelling resists flames and fire as if it were stone. It is impervious to normal missiles (but not the sort cast by siege engines or giants).

The door, shutters, and even chimney are secure against intrusion, the former two being secured with arcane lock and the latter by an iron grate at the top and a narrow flue. In addition, these three areas are protected by an alarm spell. Finally, an unseen servant is conjured to provide service to you for the duration of the shelter.

The secure shelter contains crude furnishings - eight bunks, a trestle table, eight stools, and a writing desk.

Azurak the Blue
 GM, 293 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Tue 26 May 2015
at 21:58
Re: The Quest Begins
Just making sure I've got the count correct: Radagast, Lady Isile, Borun, Borjnen, Sky, Sir Urias, Anira and Jak. That's 8. So cottage should be fine.
Lady Isile
 Keepers, 142 posts
 Moriquende
 Sorceress/Oracle
Tue 26 May 2015
at 22:56
Re: The Quest Begins
Looking to Anira "That would be perfect, I do believe we have 8 people on this mission.

Most of the time she was shapechanging into to some sort of bird to fly into the sky to see in the distance.  At night it was an Owl.
Jak
 player, 31 posts
 Human
 Fighter/Magus
Tue 26 May 2015
at 23:27
Re: The Quest Begins
Jak's interest is piqued by the offer. He nods deference to Anria.

"If there are none who wish to press on, then I would very much like to see this magical lodge of yours, that can be conjured on a whim."
Borjnen Boulderol
 Keepers, 37 posts
 Dwarf
 Barbarian/Hill Giant/Ftr
Wed 27 May 2015
at 21:39
Re: The Quest Begins
"Yes, this would be a fine time rest. Make your shelter and enjoy your comfort, I shall take my rest in the open air." With that Borjnen, stilling flipping a large rock from hand yo hand, proceeds into the trees. Now was the perfect time to search for the medicinal herbs he would surely need in the days to come. And then some rest if time provided.
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 298 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Wed 27 May 2015
at 22:28
Re: The Quest Begins
Even for a Dwarf, finding those items in the dark can be difficult, but it's still an hour before it gets dark, which happens rapidly in the forest. Borjnen has no problem finding some.

Let's say a Knowledge (nature) check DC 10 for the juniper berries, and DC 14 for the mandrake root. Every point above the DC gets you one dose.




You've gathered up your herbs and such and are heading back to the group when you hear a rustling in the leaves overhead. It could just be the wind, but it is followed by a skittering sound on the ground. Six large black eyes seem to gleam from the trees above you!
Anira
 player, 13 posts
 Half-Elf
 Witch-Rogue
Wed 27 May 2015
at 22:30
Re: The Quest Begins
Anira looked rather pleased that she could provide something for the group and moved over to an open section in the trees where she sat down.  It wasn't something instantaneous but as the little squirrel snuggled down in her lap, she murmured words as she placed a chip of stone, a bit of sand, a and a sliver of wood in her palm then poured a few drops of water over it all then clenched her hand shut.  After a moment, she tossed the contents into the clearing and slowly things began to shift.  Over the span of about ten minutes, the cozy shelter solidified.  "We just need some firewood and we can probably scrounge up something to eat," she said as she stood and brushed off the leaves from her backside.




Borun Redbeard
 Keepers, 107 posts
 Dwarf
 Monk/Empyreal sorcerer
Thu 28 May 2015
at 08:52
Re: The Quest Begins
"That is a fine suggestion, Anira," Borun replied to the half-elf.

Borun noticed Borjnen walking away alone. "Perhaps I should accompany you, Master Borjnen? These woods may not be entirely safe. If nothing else, I can collect some firewood on the way."
Jak
 player, 32 posts
 Human
 Fighter/Magus
Thu 28 May 2015
at 11:41
Re: The Quest Begins
Never one to slack when others were working, Jak chimes in to do his bit to help too.

"Well, I'm, err, not much good at cooking, so I guess I'll go hunt down some firewood as well."

Noting the direction Borun was heading, Jak waves his hand in the opposite direction. If Borun was looking for firewood, it wouldn't do Jak much good to look in the same place...

"I guess I'll head out yonder, and see what lays around, while I'm at it."
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 299 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Fri 29 May 2015
at 03:48
Re: The Quest Begins
So Borun has gone off with Borjnen to gather up firewood. By the time Borjnen has found what he's looking for, Borun has also gathered up an armful of firewood.

He's gotten a bit separated from Borjnen, only about 40 feet, when he, too, here's the overhead rustling and chittering.


Jak has also gone off to gather up some firewood. He's had a bit better luck, but also wasn't dependent on someone else finding what they were looking for. He's found one armload and brought it back to the cottage already before going off for a second load. He's not sure if it's needed, but decided it was better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

He's got his second armload and is heading back when he hears a rustling of the leaves overhead that doesn't seem to have any connection to the wind. This is followed by a chittering, skittering sound on the ground. A moment later he sees 6 glowing eyes in the overhead darkness.


Back at the cottage, Radagast has stopped smoking his pipe, making it disappear somewhere in his beard, and has grown alert, focused.

"The rabbits are frightened," he states. "Rhosgobel rabbits don't get frightened. Something isn't right. There is something out there in the woods that is getting closer. The rabbits can smell it, sense it."

"It is darker than the woods, darker than the night!"

"The rest of you, get into the cottage. I cannot say that you will be safe there, but you should be."

Jak
 player, 33 posts
 Human
 Fighter/Magus
Fri 29 May 2015
at 04:20
Re: The Quest Begins
"Well that's a bit bloody ominous..." Mutters Jak under his breath, fumbling around in his coat with one hand, precariously balancing the armload of wood in the other as he does. Moments later, he succeeds in drawing out a small silver device, holding it high, and uttering a command word.

"Lumen!"

Magical light streams from the device in his outstretched hand, illuminating his immediate surroundings harshly against the pitch black of night...
Borjnen Boulderol
 Keepers, 38 posts
 Dwarf
 Barbarian/Hill Giant/Ftr
Fri 29 May 2015
at 14:59
Re: The Quest Begins
Anything with more than two eyes of that size lurking in the Mirkwood was certainly bad news. That with the sound of movement was more than enough cause for alarm. With a swift movement Borjnen hurled the rock he had been carrying towards the grouping of eyes dashing off. Drawing his axe as he went he made his way towards the last place he seen Borun, yelling as he went "Time to go!".

Init 20
Standard action: Throw Rock
Move Action:     Move 50ft while drawing axe

This message was last edited by the player at 19:13, Sun 31 May 2015.

Azurak the Blue
 GM, 306 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Tue 2 Jun 2015
at 02:47
Re: The Quest Begins
In the light he cast, Jak sees a colossal spider perched overehad, as well as a hundred (or more) other spiders all around the forest floor and in the trees. These are all sizes from the size of a small dog up to the size of a man.
Lady Isile
 Keepers, 143 posts
 Moriquende
 Sorceress/Oracle
Tue 2 Jun 2015
at 03:05
Re: The Quest Begins
It was hard not wanting to go outside to deal with whatever was out there but with Radagast giving the warning to enter the hut, she only wondered where were the others.
Anira
 player, 15 posts
 Half-Elf
 Witch-Rogue
Tue 2 Jun 2015
at 03:35
Re: The Quest Begins
Anira stood at the door, ushering those around inside and then waiting for the others to return.  "I'll keep the door open as long as I can ... just hope the others get here soon," she stated with a worried frown as she looked out into the forest.
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 307 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Tue 2 Jun 2015
at 03:56
Re: The Quest Begins
The question becomes: can the rabbits all fit inside the cottage?

What Radagast was telling you is that he would stay outside to defend the rabbits.
Anira
 player, 16 posts
 Half-Elf
 Witch-Rogue
Tue 2 Jun 2015
at 04:55
Re: The Quest Begins
How many rabbits are there?  I keep thinking eight but my memory isn't always great.  It's a normal sized cottage and has eight bunks.  The spell doesn't give any dimensions but I'm thinking while it might be a little crowded they should all fit with the humans too.  If necessary, the people could get in the bunks to give the rabbits more room.
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 309 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Tue 2 Jun 2015
at 05:49
Re: The Quest Begins
Radagast's team of Rhosgobel Rabbits is eight in number. They are a bit bigger than a cat, but smaller than a husky. And they are so cute and furry that everyone will just want to cuddle with one anyway, so I guess they'd all fit.
Anira
 player, 17 posts
 Half-Elf
 Witch-Rogue
Tue 2 Jun 2015
at 12:31
Re: The Quest Begins
I was thinking they were more the size of a pony so definitely they would all fit okay.  :)
Jak
 player, 35 posts
 Human
 Fighter/Magus
Tue 2 Jun 2015
at 23:12
Re: The Quest Begins
Jak opens his mouth wordlessly as the light shines on the spider. Like a man confronted by a enraged bull, he edges slowly back keeping his eyes on it's six shining black orbs, hoping against hope that the monstrous spider has no interest in him.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:13, Tue 02 June 2015.

Borun Redbeard
 Keepers, 108 posts
 Dwarf
 Monk/Empyreal sorcerer
Thu 4 Jun 2015
at 09:03
Re: The Quest Begins
Recognizing the possible danger, Borun turned to his companion. The look in Borjnen's eye informed Borun that they were of the same mind.

Borun hastily cast a protective spell on Borjnen, then adopted his combat stance.

Initiative: 25

Standard action: cast Blur on Borjnen

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/blur


Radagast the Brown
 Istari, 14 posts
 Druid
 Wizard
Fri 5 Jun 2015
at 23:18
Re: The Quest Begins
"Quickly then, get the Rabbits inside your wondrous cottage! They are approaching!" Radagast tell Anira and Lady Isile.

He then chitters something to the rabbits, and they hop over to the door, peer inside for a moment and sniff, then hop inside as if it was a burrow.

Radagast plucks a twig from his beard, holds it up and examines it intently.

"All from this little thing, heh? I, too, have tricks and magic. Make up your mind--in or out?! We shall be sorely beset in a moment!"

When everyone has either gone in or out--he stays out, he tosses the twig up into the air at the cottage. As if caught be some errant breeze, the twig flies up to the top of the cottage and tumbles gracefully onto the roof. The instant it lands, it begins to grow rapidly into a massive tangle of briars and thorns that soon encase the entire cottage.

"The monsters will not get through that any time soon, and the little ones will not be able to penetrate your protective cottage."
Anira
 player, 18 posts
 Half-Elf
 Witch-Rogue
Fri 5 Jun 2015
at 23:51
Re: The Quest Begins
Anira spoke to the rabbits as well, her clicks and chitters having a soothing tone as she assured them they would be safe.  When they were inside, and she realized Radagast was staying outside, she stepped outside as well.  "I'll not leave you to fight alone," she said, her heart pounding as she drew her rapier and went over the spells she would be able to utilize.  She murmured under her breath as Melda scampered deep into a pocket, casting a spell to help protect herself.



Casting Mage Armor, AC now 26, lasts for 10 hours

This message was last edited by the player at 00:32, Sat 06 June 2015.

Azurak the Blue
 GM, 316 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Sat 6 Jun 2015
at 00:07
Re: The Quest Begins
Jak Attack

Jak's hopes were dashed when the huge black creature dropped right on top of him!

00:53, Sat 06 June 2015: Azurak the Blue rolled 30 using 1d20+10 ((20)). Death-from-above drop attack! CRITICAL POTENTIAL!

00:55, Sat 06 June 2015: Azurak the Blue rolled 20 using 1d20+10 ((10)). Confirm critical: Yes? Not sure if Jak has any other buffs going at the moment... or is he AC18?

01:02, Sat 06 June 2015: Azurak the Blue rolled 17 using 6d6 ((3,3,3,1,6,1)). Squashing damage x2 = 34 points of damage.

Alas, there's no combat maneuver called Squash for your CMD to come into play.

However, Jak can make a Reflex saving throw DC20 for half damage--it's a HUGE creature!

01:05, Sat 06 June 2015: Azurak the Blue rolled 14 using 1d20+5 ((9)). Sting attack... misses! It actually got in its own way; being on top of you handicapped its ability to strike with the stinger.
Jak
 player, 36 posts
 Human
 Fighter/Magus
Sat 6 Jun 2015
at 01:48
Re: The Quest Begins
Letting the firewood fall from his hands with a horrified look on his face as the spider plunges down, Jak hits the deck rolling as the spider lands, somehow managing to avoid the worst of it. Not pausing for a second, he staggers back to his feet with as much grace as he can muster, and flicking a shower of playing cards into the air to cause a momentary distraction, seemingly vanishes into thin air, the cards wafting down right where he stood.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:53, Sat 06 June 2015.