Chapter 6: The Quest Begins.   Posted by Azurak the Blue.Group: 0
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 342 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Sat 4 Jul 2015
at 22:00
Re: The Quest Begins
As expected, the night passes uneventfully, though the Rhosgobel rabbits are restless, and Radagast spends most of the night (assuming he ever sleeps) keeping them quiet.

Dawn seems to come all too slowly and yet all too swiftly as well. The rabbits are anxious to be out of the cottage and into the woods.

Radagast quickly harnesses up the rabbits to his sled, and hops onto it.

"I must scout ahead! Follow as quickly as you can! We must head for the Bight! Hey-o! Away, my friends!" Radagast calls out to everyone. The last, of course, is directed to the rabbits.
Lady Isile
 Keepers, 146 posts
 Moriquende
 Sorceress/Oracle
Sun 5 Jul 2015
at 16:05
Re: The Quest Begins
With the tread being dealt with she was glad to see that the Darkness was sent away but it would be better if it was destroyed.  Either way she returned inside the hut and found a spot to rest for the night.

When the morning was coming upon them she was up and out enjoying the dawn and took shape of another bird of prey waiting for the others before taking flight.
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 343 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Wed 8 Jul 2015
at 05:30
Re: The Quest Begins
With Lady Isile providing air cover for the group, Radagast heads out scouting the way. By mid-morning, the group reaches the Bight, and finds others waiting there for you.

Radagast introduces them as Arithal Kodiak, Orndir and Otorno (a bear), Tavaro (the wind) and Tilaleria.

Likewise, to those in the Bight, he introduces Anira, Borjnen, Borun, Jak, Sir Urias and Sky Sheer'enn.
Tavaro
 player, 58 posts
 Maiar Undine
 Druid/Mighty Godling
Wed 8 Jul 2015
at 06:29
Re: The Quest Begins
quote:
Radagast on Tavaro:

Radagast contemplated this unexpected member of the Fellowship: warm yet playful is his spirit, for he is the offspring of rivers and life, tending and nurturing all things that grow, be they animal or plant. But like a storm is he to those that burn and destroy and succor in malice and pain; And his form is veiled in many forms, be they man or beast, water or wind, so only those who know him well can truly glimpse him. Merry he usually is, playing with beast and tree, and kind is he to the lost wanderer or the needlessly wounded, yet quick to anger, untempered by patience for those who do not share his love for life, but he is not proud, and he seeks neither power or praise... Mostly he journeys without pause through forest, field and glade like the wind, or in the form of a beast, and so he is called Tavaro, the spirit of the woods, by the elves who divined his true being. For they glimpsed that this spirit served the mother of all growing things and belonged truly to the wild. But his true name is known to but a few, for it cannot be spoken by mortal tongue.


Tavaro could not be seen for indeed he was the wind playing with the leaves all around. Desolate was the forest here, burned and bitten. And the source of this desolation was apparent, for the body of a creature that was surely the spawn of Glaurung lies spent not far from where the others made camp. And that was a wondrous place in itself, for among the desolation a glade of trees had sprung up, and ripe fruits clung from tree and bush which lay around a spring of fresh water.
Borun Redbeard
 Keepers, 113 posts
 Dwarf
 Monk/Empyreal sorcerer
Wed 8 Jul 2015
at 08:52
Re: The Quest Begins
"Hail and well met," Borun greeted the waiting group. "Any friend of Master Radagast is a friend of mine. I am Borun Redbeard of the Diamond Heart Academy." Borun bowed stiffly.

He glanced around conspiratorially, then lowered his voice. "These are troubled times. Dark forces are abroad. Though we are few in number, perhaps together we can thwart this evil."
Saxon the Dead Smith
 player, 89 posts
Wed 8 Jul 2015
at 10:09
Re: The Quest Begins
Saxon had Radaghast in a big hug, but set him back down when the others started showing up. One never wanted to appear too friendly but it was an adored teacher. He smiled at the lot as they showed up. "Good to see there are a good number of people coming along. Still, I kind of hope we can salvage some of the creatures from the corruption as opposed to killing them. I am sure the dragon would have been a very good ally if there was a way to cure it."
Tilaleria
 player, 111 posts
 Messenger Girl
Wed 8 Jul 2015
at 16:42
Re: The Quest Begins
"Good day Borun Redbeard of the Diamond Heart Academy" Tilaleria greeted the dwarf, hoping that he wasn't an elf hater like many of his kind. His words indicated not though, which was reassuring.

She stayed quiet after that contemplating what to do. She needed time to consider her options. Fortunately the chatter of the others should give her that.
Anira
 player, 23 posts
 Half-Elf
 Witch-Rogue
Wed 8 Jul 2015
at 18:46
Re: The Quest Begins
After sleeping a couple of hours, Anira had risen and made up some breakfast rolls filled with meat and cheese and then spent an hour quietly loving on Melda.  She was quiet so as not to disturb the rabbits anymore but it had felt good just being around Radagast again.

Here!  Take this and eat it on the way, she said and placed a warm roll in his hand before he could dart away.  And be careful! she called out though she knew he was always as careful as he could be, especially with the rabbits.

Handing out the rolls else once they were all geared up and ready for the journey, she dismissed the cottage and walked with a light step.  No one was overly talkative but the silence wasn’t uncomfortable.  They all just seemed introspective of last night’s events and the future.

Finally they reached the Bight and there was Radagast and more allies.  I wish the circumstances were different but it is a pleasure to meet you all, she greeted them all with a warm and welcoming smile.

Her eyes lingered on the bear as she drew the tiny flying squirrel from her pocket.  When she spoke again, it was a series of grunts and growls.  Greetings Otorno.  This is my friend, Melda, she introduced the two animal companions/familiars.
Radagast the Brown
 Istari, 20 posts
 Druid
 Wizard
Sun 12 Jul 2015
at 17:27
Re: The Quest Begins
Radagast actually looks a bit flustered by Saxon's enthusiastic embrace, but recovers quickly enough.

"Perhaps a short rest before we are off again," he suggests. "I fear discretion is no longer possible, nor needed. We travel now around the edge of the Mirkwood, to the southern tip where others are waiting."

"It is from there that our quest will truly begin."

"I will scout ahead just in case there are other... distractions. Ten minutes rest and then follow me as quickly as you can."


Without waiting for a response, he's back on his sled and the refreshed rabbits are off an running again. As astounding as their twisty rapid gallop through the woods appears, it isn't until one sees them sprinting over relatively flat unobstructed ground that their true grace and speed can be appreciated. In seconds, Radagast vanishes to the south, though a glimpse can be caught farther on as he briefly tops a distant hill.
Tavaro
 player, 59 posts
 Maiar Undine
 Druid/Mighty Godling
Sun 12 Jul 2015
at 17:45
Re: The Quest Begins
A stiff breeze blows in Radagast's direction and moments afterwards the great eagle screeches as it lifts off, scattering dust as its mighty wings flap to gain altitude.
Saxon the Dead Smith
 Fellowship, 90 posts
Mon 13 Jul 2015
at 06:56
Re: The Quest Begins
As the brown wizard made his exit, Saxon walked forward with business in mind. Reaching into the little camp fire he had going for the morning breakfast he cooked, he pulled free an ember and held it tightly in his hand.

Holding it a moment he popped the ember in his mouth and spoke his spell. "Kel-famara, Ohm Ash burzum-ishi." It was as if he was squishing every language he knew into meaning. He spat the flaming ember out, fully unburned, and it trailed a smoke. The smoke fell on the shape of the horses that he conjured to pull his mobile home.

He then started taking embers out of his little fire by hand and putting them into a pot he could let burn out without burning down the forest by a fire restarting after they left.

"Anyone riding on the wagon with me?"
Tilaleria
 Fellowship, 112 posts
 Messenger Girl
Mon 13 Jul 2015
at 07:05
Re: The Quest Begins
Tilaleria hoped onto the wagon next to Saxon. "I don't know how far I'm coming, but a lift would be appreciated" she said. "Feels odd to have an Ishtari scouting for us doesn't it" she chuckled as she watched Radagast leave in the sledge that made her laugh every time she looked at it.

"It's interesting that he said 'others are waiting'. Many more than we are now and we'll be an army!"
Borun Redbeard
 Fellowship, 114 posts
 Dwarf
 Monk/Empyreal sorcerer
Tue 14 Jul 2015
at 09:47
Re: The Quest Begins
Borun stared up at the wagon suspiciously. The Academy tutors had not taught him of this style of magic. "I'll scout ahead," he said aloud. "I can keep pace ahead of the... horses."

Before leaving, he turned to group. "Perhaps those of you staying with the wagon might permit me to cast a spell on you? It will help us to remain in contact."

OOC: Casts Message

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/message

Anira
 Fellowship, 24 posts
 Half-Elf
 Witch-Rogue
Tue 14 Jul 2015
at 13:12
Re: The Quest Begins
Introductions made, or not made however the case may be, Anira readied herself for a bit of a walk with the others.  "That would be fine with me, Master Redbeard," she agreed to the message spell.  Melda leaped from her shoulder and glided over to the wagon, flitting here and there with excitement as she checked out something new.
Saxon the Dead Smith
 Fellowship, 91 posts
Tue 14 Jul 2015
at 14:26
Re: The Quest Begins
"Given how things have gone so far I think we will see far far stranger things than one of them scouting for us. Though, given his record I don't mind at all that is. I challenge a beast to catch him and his adorable steeds."

"As far as an army? It wouldn't be unwelcome."



He eyeballed the critter checking out his wagon. "Just don't eat anything, not everything that looks yummy is on the wagon. Otherwise you will be fine."

once everyone was onboard who would be onboard was onboard, he just motioned for the horses to go and they started their endless charge after the brown wizard.
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 346 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Wed 15 Jul 2015
at 02:11
Re: The Quest Begins
The journey around the perimeter of the Mirkwood goes quickly and without incident. The group seems to be moving ahead of any potential threat.

Eventually you reach the southern tip.

Radagast is there waiting with three others.

He introduces Elmohtar, Garan and Grimfast.
Anira
 Fellowship, 25 posts
 Half-Elf
 Witch-Rogue
Thu 16 Jul 2015
at 16:41
Re: The Quest Begins
"She just ate so your things should be safe.  Now if she finds a comfy spot, she'll curl up for a nice nap," Anira said with a merry chuckle to Saxon as they began their trek in the wake of Radagast and his rabbits.  She would chat amiably with anyone along the way or fall into a comfortable silence when others wished.  At last they saw their familiar friend and a few others who were introduced.  "Well met Elmohtar, Garan, and Grimfast," she greeted the unusual trio but accepted them readily because of their association with her mentor.  Their group was sizing up rather nicely, quite formidable really.
Tilaleria
 Fellowship, 113 posts
 Messenger Girl
Thu 16 Jul 2015
at 18:34
Re: The Quest Begins
Tilaleria gave a polite nod of greeting to the three newcomers while introducing herself.

After that she asked a general question

"I gather this fellowship is intended to find the Ent Wifes. A laudable goal. I understand that we have a magical means of tracking them. Have we done even the simplest of triangulation yet that would give us a rough estimate of where we are going and how far away it is?"
Radagast the Brown
 Istari, 22 posts
 Druid
 Wizard
Fri 17 Jul 2015
at 07:43
Re: The Quest Begins
"The device is not that precise," Radagast replies to Tilaleria. "But, no, I have not tried triangulation yet as we've only had the one bearing from the northern Mirkwood. I was planning on taking another here at the southern tip."

"It is magical; it does not have the precision of a compass. Maps are not always to precise scale; such detail has never been needed."

"We know that the Entwives are only to the East. We think beyond the Brown Lands, of course, for nothing lives in the Brown Lands any more."

"We will take a short rest again while I tend to a few things."

"I must set my Rhosgobel rabbits loose. I dare not take them into the Brown Lands, and Mirkwood is their home. I do not know how well they would fare on their own if I set them loose out on the plains."

"I have meager supplies on my sled, Saxon, but might they find a place in your wagon?"

"Also, unless the wheels of your wagon are magical, you might want to replace them with skids. Where we are bound there are no roads. The wheels are apt to break on rough terrain."

"I have an alternate... or perhaps additional solution."


From under his shaggy beard, he extracts a necklace, perhaps worn around his own neck. It is composed of a fine silver chain with 5 mother-of-pearl disks suspended from it. Each disk is approximately 3" in diameter.

"This was a gift from the Magician of Kos. He called it a necklace of storage. I surmised that he was getting too old to lug around a backpack any more, so he created this clever item."

"Each disk allows you to store an item within it. On the back is enscribed the secret word that stores the item or releases it. Each only works once. You cannot store living things, though. So you can store your wagon on a disk until you needed it."

"Alas, it does give you the comfort of the ride, but I fear it would not do so where we are bound."


He then sets about unharnessing the rabbits, talking to each one as he does so. They clearly seem reluctant to leave, and he has to shoo them off.

Next, he turns to Tavaro.

"Tavaro, I know there are places across the land that make you... uncomfortable, and you do not go there. But I am afraid those are the very places we must go. Will you still go with us?"
Tavaro
 Fellowship, 60 posts
 Maiar Undine
 Druid/Mighty Godling
Fri 17 Jul 2015
at 09:07
Re: The Quest Begins
The sky replied in a mournful tone, a voice carried on the wind as if from afar.

"Follow I will, across land and sea.
But in places of men, I cannot be.
I am in the rock and stone, river and tree
But men took those away from me."


The last verse was spoken in anger, and for a moment the sky grew a bit darker as if a thunderstorm approached, but it passed as soon as it came.

This message was last edited by the player at 09:08, Fri 17 July 2015.

Saxon the Dead Smith
 Fellowship, 92 posts
Fri 17 Jul 2015
at 13:40
Re: The Quest Begins
Saxon rubbed the back of his head, "I think it will be more wise to put skidds on the wagon. There are many issues that a good amount of shade and a barrel of water can solve. The wagon can help us dodge many brown land issues."
Tilaleria
 Fellowship, 115 posts
 Messenger Girl
Fri 17 Jul 2015
at 15:26
Re: The Quest Begins
"We won't run out of water, and shade is easy to get" Tilaleria pointed out. "The simplest divine magic solves water problems, and we are all tough and won't collapse from a bit of heat. My experience is that wagon's cause many more problems than they solve, and are much less comfortable and maneuverable than a horse. Still if you like it, take it. Perhaps collapsing it into the necklace of storage would allow you to have access to it if you feel you need it."
Garan
 Fellowship, 28 posts
 Half-Orc
 Bloodrager
Fri 17 Jul 2015
at 17:06
Re: The Quest Begins
Garan greeted the others as he was introduced, his towering and intimidating form belied his relatively genial nature. "I don't mind carrying extra supplies if we can't fit them within that magic doodad or otherwise modify the cart." His mouth turned up at one corner at a half-grin at a thought he had but didn't share with the group - he could probably carry one or two of them and all their gear without much issue.

His eyebrows furrowed a bit, "I would like to hear a bit more about this task and who these 'ent-wives' are we're supposed to be looking for. I'm afraid I don't know much about... them." Garan's voice was slightly accented, to those that had done some traveling, he almost certainly came from far to the south.
Radagast the Brown
 Istari, 23 posts
 Druid
 Wizard
Sat 18 Jul 2015
at 07:42
Re: The Quest Begins
"Surely you've learned about the birds and the bees by now?!" Radagast says in mock astonishment. "Except for fungus, all living things that produce offspring have a male and a female. The Ents are no different. Their counterparts are the Entari... in Commonspeak, Entwives."

"When Sauron came out of Mordor in the Second Age, he destroyed an area of land that we now call the Brown Lands. Not even the Elves have a word for that. This was the area where the Entwives kept their gardens. Sauron destroyed it in order to deny the advancing army the bountiful resources there. It was thought that the Entwives were destroyed as well, though Treebeard maintained that they were 'lost'."

"He wouldn't or couldn't elaborate on that, but for the longest time, we all thought that was merely his way of saying that they were dead."

"Ents are quite difficult to understand even at the best of times, and this was definitely not one of those. In a life that spans centuries, it is hard to say what passes for time for them. They are slow to think, slower still to act. For all we know, they have spent the past hundred years grieving."

"It only recently came to my attention that they were not dead after all. After pondering this information, it finally occurred to be that if they were truly only lost, then they had to be in the East... driven beyond mortal ken."

"I doubt if any of you tell me any details about the East. That is because only four  people have ever gone there since the Second Age and returned--Sauron, who gathered an army from the  inhabitants; Saruman, who went with the Blue Wizards; and Aragorn and Eomer to flush out remaining enemies. None have talked about it, though, so it remains unknown. We do not know how far those people went."

"I believe, however, that that is where we shall find the Entwives. Getting there will be a perilous journey. The area is vast and may very well be filled with dangers not yet conceived."


Although he was answering Garan, he elaborated for any others that may not have heard the full story yet.
Saxon the Dead Smith
 Fellowship, 93 posts
Sat 18 Jul 2015
at 14:20
Re: The Quest Begins
Saxon was broody with all the talk of the wagon not being able to make the trip. To his experience it had always been a boon when it came to the vast amount of alchemical components he needed for his trade. "Each disk of the amulet works once ever or just stores only one item? I would hate for you to burn out your talisman on my wagon when a few hours of work can allow it to move just as well in the coming areas."

"As far as the lady plants, I don't think they would be very happy without their gardens. I have little doubt they have set up new gardens just separated by the blighted lands."