Volume 1: Crossing the Plains of Rhovanion.   Posted by Azurak the Blue.Group: 0
Tilaleria
 Fellowship, 270 posts
Sat 5 Aug 2017
at 18:46
Into the Drift

This message was deleted by the player at 19:03, Sat 05 Aug 2017.

Borun Redbeard
 Fellowship, 184 posts
 Dwarf
 Monk/Empyreal sorcerer
Tue 8 Aug 2017
at 11:24
Into the Drift
"You also have my thanks, King Pergomar," Borun agreed.

Addressing Lady Isile, Borun continued, "I am sure that flight could take us there quickly enough. I myself have learnt that power, and I could take more than one of us if necessary."
Anira
 Fellowship, 80 posts
 Half-Elf
 Witch-Rogue
Tue 8 Aug 2017
at 19:09
Into the Drift
As they moved to follow the lich-king, Anira inclined her head to him as well.  "Yes, thank you King Pergomar and we will do all we can to help you and those trapped here," she stated.  She hoped it wouldn't be an act that would turn against them but freedom and peace had to be followed.  Turning to the others, she gave a small shrug.  "I tend to try to use my magic sparingly but I can fly and also teleport so will do so if that will help the group," Anira stated.
Lady Isile
 Fellowship, 181 posts
 Moriquende
 Sorceress/Oracle
Tue 8 Aug 2017
at 19:45
Into the Drift
Looking to Borun "I'm only able to transform myself but I can cast Levitation on anyone if that would help.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:45, Tue 08 Aug 2017.

Radagast the Brown
 Istari, 76 posts
 Druid
 Wizard
Tue 8 Aug 2017
at 23:45
Into the Drift
"Perhaps flying up there would be prudent," Radagast says. "If it had not been for King Bergomar's words, I would climb the tower so as not to miss any clues along the way."

"While I believe Anira could use her Dimension Door spell to take us all up there, perhaps flying would be a more prudent method."

"As I understand it, Anira, Lady Isile and Borun can all fly. That leaves four of us that can't. Not sure of your strengths... can each of you carry another one of us? If not, then Lady Isile can cast her Levitation on someone and he or she can be pulled behind us."

"So the question, Tilaleria, will you go with us, or would you rather remain here until we return?"

Borun Redbeard
 Fellowship, 185 posts
 Dwarf
 Monk/Empyreal sorcerer
Thu 10 Aug 2017
at 11:50
Into the Drift
"I apologise if I was unclear," Borun replied. "While I am sure that I could carry someone, what I really mean is that I can cast the Fly spell multiple times, easily enabling everyone to fly." He continued, "Indeed I could cast the spell up to eighteen times in a day, although that would leave me somewhat depleted in spell power." Borun chuckled awkwardly. "Each spell lasts ten minutes."

This message was lightly edited by the player at 11:51, Thu 10 Aug 2017.

Radagast the Brown
 Istari, 77 posts
 Druid
 Wizard
Thu 10 Aug 2017
at 22:07
Into the Drift
"Well, it shouldn't take us more than a minute or two to fly up there," Radagast replied, "so that should work."

He glances at Tilaleria to see if she'd made up her mind yet.

"Then start casting, Borun. Let's not waste any more time than we have to."
Lady Isile
 Fellowship, 182 posts
 Moriquende
 Sorceress/Oracle
Thu 10 Aug 2017
at 23:48
Into the Drift
Nodding her head then she shape chances into a hawk again and begins to fly up when the rest are moving along.
Anira
 Fellowship, 81 posts
 Half-Elf
 Witch-Rogue
Sat 12 Aug 2017
at 14:10
Into the Drift
"I will check the area," Anira said and flew up to check the entries and inside.



Perception 28, 30 for traps.
Tilaleria
 Fellowship, 273 posts
 Messenger Girl
Sat 12 Aug 2017
at 15:44
Into the Drift
Her options at this point were a bit limited. She could give up on the quest entirely. She could retreat back out of the city and continue the quest on her own. She could remain here where she was and wait for the others to get back.

Or, she could go with them, however annoying that course of action was to her.

In the end, she could not in good conscience abandon her companions.

"Fine. I will go with you." she said. Under protest. She didn't need to say that out loud as her demeanor made that all too clear.
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 466 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Sat 12 Aug 2017
at 16:07
Into the Drift
Once Lady Isile changed into a hawk and flew into the sky toward the tower, it only remained for Borun to cast his Fly spell on all those remaining who needed it.

The group then followed Lady Isile.


Approaching the top of the tower, which is presumably where they needed to go (but, if not, it would be so much easier walking down the stairs rather than up them), you can see that there is a narrow 5-foot wide balcony running completely around the tower. The tower appears to be made of stone, and the balustrade around the balcony (to prevent people from falling off) is also made of stone.

Lady Isile's speed and maneuverability let's her reconnoiter the tower more quickly than the others, and as she circles it, she spots the large gold door on the east side.

She also spots the interlocking chain of pentagrams carved into the stone and even the gold door, as does Anira when she reaches the tower.

Both are able to identify the pentagrams as warding-type pentagrams, as well as identify the ward as against teleport, albeit from slightly different perspectives.

Anira does not spot any traps on the balcony, nor on the door.

The gold door is 5-feet wide and 10-feet high, mounted flush with the outside wall so that the pentagrams overlap. The door should clearly swing inward, though, as there is insufficient room for it to swing outward... unless, of course, some sort of magic is involved, such as shifting it ethereal.

Once everyone has landed on the balcony, there's barely enough room for all of you to actually view the door at the same time. The door does not appear to have a lock on it.
Borun Redbeard
 Fellowship, 186 posts
 Dwarf
 Monk/Empyreal sorcerer
Tue 15 Aug 2017
at 11:43
Into the Drift
Borun cast his Fly spells and then joined Lady Isile and Anira on the balcony. "Would you like me to go first?" he suggested, although he suspected that Anira would prefer that role herself.
Anira
 Fellowship, 82 posts
 Half-Elf
 Witch-Rogue
Tue 15 Aug 2017
at 19:59
Into the Drift
Anira was studying the door as the others joined and Borun offered to go first.  "I don't detect any traps and these markings are to prevent teleporting," she stated thoughtfully.  "It seems almost too easy though," she said but then shook her head.  "Stay to the sides of the door," she suggested to them and when the others were hopefully out of the potential danger zone she gently pressed against the door to see if it would push open or was like a portal.
Lady Isile
 Fellowship, 183 posts
 Moriquende
 Sorceress/Oracle
Tue 15 Aug 2017
at 22:09
Into the Drift
Still in her bird form she flew to the side of the tower keeping a watchful eye out for any incoming surprises.
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 467 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Wed 16 Aug 2017
at 15:19
Into the Drift
Lady Isile flies around the tower, resting on the balustrade when she needs to, but there is nothing in the air that poses a potential threat. This seems reasonable, for there is nothing around here that could sustain any living creature. While there are some undead that can fly, even some that could climb the outside of the tower, she does not spot any such threat.


When Anira touches the door, it feels solid to the touch. Nothing else happens, though. And when she tries pushing on it, nothing happens then, either. It seems to be secured in some way, perhaps magically, but perhaps only locked. That's when she notices the 'dials'--three circular carvings--one above the pentagram, one below the pentagram, and one within the pentagram.

She can't tell how far any of them can actually turn. They could be some sort of screw that has to be turned completely several times in order to disengage the lock. On the other hand, there do not seem to be any marking around the dials or on the dials to indicate a stopping place, such as would be needed for a combination.

That tells her that it's probably just a sequence... turn one first, then the next, and then the third.

Going top to bottom would be the simplest 'combination', but also makes no sense--why bother with a sequence at all, if that was the case?

It's the one within the pentagram that gives her the clue she needs. Opening the door would break the anti-teleport ward, but the combination would be used to prevent that. Thus, it follows that the top and bottom one are there to disengage the pentagram one, which, in turn, disengages that central lock but probably keeps the ward intact.

She tries the top one first, and finds that it only makes a quarter turn clockwise before it stops. The bottom one makes a quarter turn counter-clockwise before it stops.

Now, as she touches the center one, she can feel the magical field of the ward... which wasn't there a moment ago. Oddly, she discovers that the center dial can be turned either way... and quickly deduces that it's 'on' and 'off', or perhaps 'lock' and 'unlock'. It moves one-half turn before it won't move any more.

When she now pushes on the door, it swings easily away from her. Because it's night, she expected there to be darkness beyond. Instead, there is light... the equivalent of torchlight, but light nonetheless.

The light reveals what she can only think of as a library--floor to 40-foot high ceiling bookshelves filled with books and other things. About every 20 feet around the room is an ever-burning torch set into a wrought iron sconce a-fixed to the bookshelves.

You also can see that there are four large stuffed chairs (with foot rest) spaced equidistantly around the room, away from the shelves and toward the center. Each has a small table next to it with a lamp upon the table. These lamps direct a cone of light onto the chair, which reveals the chair is upholstered in maroon velvet.

Between the two farthest chairs, there is a free standing mirror in an ornate brass frame. Between the two chairs on the left, there is book stand, but there is not book on it.

In the very center of the room, there is an semi-circular iron railing which presumably is the top of a spiral staircase leading down.

There are no windows in the room, but as you look up, you can see that the ceiling is carved in many arcane symbols, not the least of which is the anti-teleport pentagram that takes up the whole ceiling. The other runes are all carved inside the pentagram.

They look to be protection runes of some kind.

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:20, Mon 21 Aug 2017.

Saxon the Dead Smith
 Fellowship, 148 posts
Thu 17 Aug 2017
at 20:37
Into the Drift
Saxon had flown up along the tower and true to the request made he kept his body mass under the door but peeked in through the bottom of the door. "Looks like a it is some kind of panic chamber. There is no telling if its to keep something in or out but it is all very well crafted." He tilted his head side to side, "I have a fire form that is kinda invulnerable but it would not be wise in a library. Ummm, I can alter my biology to a state of death so anything in there could look right past me... Doesnt last forever but nothing really does."

"Want I should pop in and have a look?"

Anira
 Fellowship, 83 posts
 Half-Elf
 Witch-Rogue
Thu 17 Aug 2017
at 21:17
Into the Drift
Anira looked to Saxon, a wrinkle of concern in her brow.  "The lich said it was warded to keep the undead out.  Wouldn't that be a little more dangerous for you if you changed to that sort of form?" she asked while focusing as much as she could on the runes as well as the area inside.



16:15, Today: Anira rolled 38 using 1d20+27 with rolls of 11.  Perception (+2 more for traps).
16:15, Today: Anira rolled 22 using 1d20+19 with rolls of 3.  Knowledge (arcana).

Saxon the Dead Smith
 Fellowship, 149 posts
Thu 17 Aug 2017
at 21:26
Into the Drift
Saxon stood on the side of the tower like down was in that direction. "Just because it is designed to keep undead out, doesnt mean that it zaps them once inside. Could just be a barrier and I would be trapped inside until the spell wore off."

"That being said, its a working, I can not use it just to be safe."

Lady Isile
 Fellowship, 184 posts
 Moriquende
 Sorceress/Oracle
Thu 17 Aug 2017
at 22:12
Into the Drift
Taking a moment to peek her head in to see what this room possesses.  It was all the runes that got her attention and she did her best to determine them.  Once that was done she would be able to further aid the party in knowing what they protect and ward off.

18:11, Today: Lady Isile rolled 47 using 1d20+27 with rolls of 20.  Knowledge Arcane.
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 468 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Thu 17 Aug 2017
at 22:54
Into the Drift
The first runes that are easily identified are the teleport runes. Inside the warding pentagram, it means that you can't teleport out of the room.

The other runes are a bit trickier, but only because they are variations on normal runes: fire and undead. As near as Anira and Lady Isile can interpret the runes, fire won't work in the library. You might be able to light a tindertwig, but it would be instantly snuffed out. For the undead, any undead is warded out, but should any somehow make it into the room, they would take constant damage as if from holy channeling as long as they are in the room.

It takes a bit more thinking to figure out the remaining two runes.

One is 'evil' and the other is 'outsider'. The library is warded against those two as well.
Saxon the Dead Smith
 Fellowship, 150 posts
Thu 17 Aug 2017
at 23:18
Into the Drift
Saxon paced around the door, "I do alchemy and celestial magic but I do not think this should hurt me. It may be like swimming through mud but I think I can manage. Give the word and I will head in, I'd rather not step on your toes when you said to sit and stay."

"Easy enough to plunge in."

Borun Redbeard
 Fellowship, 187 posts
 Dwarf
 Monk/Empyreal sorcerer
Mon 21 Aug 2017
at 11:40
Into the Drift
Borun silently observed his companions while they inspected the runes. He waited patiently for their instruction to enter the chamber.
Radagast the Brown
 Istari, 78 posts
 Druid
 Wizard
Mon 21 Aug 2017
at 15:15
Into the Drift
"Interesting, interesting," Radagast mused as he studied the interior runes.

"How... clever... and interesting. You can't teleport in, and you can't teleport out... with a book, for instance. The protections they've put on this library would make you think that very important books are stored here. And they just may be! These could be thousands of years old! Think of the knowledge they might contain!"

"We will definitely have to come back here! But, unless something leaps out at us, we shouldn't tarry here to study."
He casts a glance at the sullen Tilaleria.

He boldly steps through the doorway. As he does so, a bluish shimmer appears around him as he passes through the magic field.

"Just take a casual glance at the book titles, in case there is something that we need."

Since nothing seems to happen to him, he walks over to the book stand, as it seems somehow out of place.
Lady Isile
 Fellowship, 185 posts
 Moriquende
 Sorceress/Oracle
Mon 21 Aug 2017
at 16:07
Into the Drift
Following behind him. She to steps inside and wanting to see what kind of knowledge is hidden here in these books and tomes
Saxon the Dead Smith
 Fellowship, 151 posts
Mon 21 Aug 2017
at 16:31
Into the Drift
Saxon shrugged as it seemed everyone was moving in. He leaned forward and shifted around the door until he was at the top of it. He then passed in sticking to the roof like a snake, sure he was being overly cautious but considering the room could blow him up he was justified. Once he was inside and he was not exploding randomly he started working with gravity. He started inspecting the way down while others looked at the books. Sure he wanted to read books but he would have to come back later for that.

He was no rogue but he was at least another set of eyes. "If you see any books on advanced alchemy, let me know. I mean the really advanced stuff."

This message was last edited by the player at 16:33, Mon 21 Aug 2017.