Volume 1: Crossing the Plains of Rhovanion.   Posted by Azurak the Blue.Group: 0
Radagast the Brown
 Istari, 91 posts
 Istari Ranger/Druid
 Wizard/Nature Warden
Mon 1 Jan 2018
at 21:01
Into the Drift
Radagast just stares at the Dome for awhile even though there's nothing to see. He's trying to sense the power behind it, the magic that powers it, and any other non-visible properties.

He pays attention to the arc the Dome creates at the ground, does some mental calculations, and then says:

"Roughly a two-mile diameter. Definitely a Wall of Force, but cast at a very high level. I did not know Azurak had that ability. Hmmm. Perhaps the two of them were able to combine their powers."

He then turns to Veralynn.

"It is beyond my ability to take it down," but holds up a cautionary hand at Veralynn's frown as he continues. "I'm pretty sure I can poke a hole in it, but that would be all. You would then have the problem of not being able to seal it back up."

"However, if you have a group of spell-casters, it is possible that they could combine their power to reclose it, and even reopen it when you want. I can instruct them how to do that, perhaps even teach them."

"We are on a quest, though, and cannot tarry for too long."

Lady Isile
 Fellowship, 207 posts
 Moriquende
 Sorceress/Oracle
Tue 2 Jan 2018
at 01:13
Into the Drift
She listened with great intent, hoping to also discover a spell in the process of watching this take place.
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 494 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Fri 5 Jan 2018
at 22:57
In Forstan
Veralynn looks slightly disappointed at first, but then brightens at the thought that the solution might be within their own hands.

"Yes, we have spellcasters, though not many," she replies. "There has been little to use magic on in our tiny little world. How many would be needed?"
Borun Redbeard
 Fellowship, 201 posts
 Dwarf
 Monk/Empyreal sorcerer
Mon 8 Jan 2018
at 10:54
In Forstan
Borun coughed politely. "I have studied basic spellcasting at Diamond Heart Academy," he said. "Our source of magic is not from books, but from force of will, so I am unsure if I can teach this technique to those without some talent," he admitted.

"Nevertheless, I can cast the spell Dispel Magic, which would be the basis for creating a hole in the dome. Also, I know the spell Mage Armour. While this is a limited protection for the just caster, I believe that it conjures the same force that is used in the more powerful defensive spell Wall of Force." Borun paused awkwardly. "Anyway, if I can help at all, I shall."

This message was last edited by the player at 10:56, Mon 08 Jan 2018.

Radagast the Brown
 Istari, 92 posts
 Istari Ranger/Druid
 Wizard/Nature Warden
Mon 8 Jan 2018
at 15:30
In Forstan
"At least three would be necessary, but five would be better," Radagast replies. "Seven and thirteen are also good numbers, but the more that there are, the longer it usually takes to train them to all work together."

"Unless there is a particular place you'd like to try and create this portal through the wall, then we should meet back here in one hour. I and my companions will need to prepare a few things."


He turns to Borun then.

"Yes, those two spells may be useful as a basis for what I'm attempting, but I think Dispel Magic might be wrong way to go... or not. It requires some consideration. I don't think that the Forstani will be able to muster the magical strength to actually take down the dome, but I cannot rule that out. At this point, I'm not sure that would be a good thing anyway."

"Apparently, Azurak created the dome because he wasn't able to stay here and protect the city himself. I cannot do that, either, so taking down the dome would leave them unprotected."

"In any case, Borun, what I need to teach the Forstani mages is a technique called 'Shape Spell'. If they can master that, they the Dispel Magic can be focused in a small enough area to merely open a portal just large enough to allow a person to step through. And it isn't permanent."


He looked to Anira and Lady Isile then.

"Is this a technique that you know?" he asks them. "Have either of you ever worked together with other mages to cast a spell? It's often called a coven, though that usually is reserved for Witches. It is also known as a Circle, or Spell Circle, or Casting Circle."
Lady Isile
 Fellowship, 208 posts
 Moriquende
 Sorceress/Oracle
Mon 8 Jan 2018
at 22:00
In Forstan
Lady Isile shook her head "I'm not familiar with the way your speaking of.  Being a Sorceress and my magic comes from my blood.  But studying a spell with a Wizard may be interesting but still might not be very helpful to me.  But I can aid in the Circle if possible.
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 495 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Mon 15 Jan 2018
at 18:46
In Forstan
The circle requires spell-casters, but it's not specific to either arcane casters or divine casters--it just takes more effort and more training when it's mixed.

The preparation was Radagast gathering up a dozen rings... it didn't seem to matter if they were gold, silver, copper, ceramic, wood, gems or threads.

Once he had the dozen rings, he had Saxon do an alchemical procedure to make sure they were all true... free from defects and flaws so they'd withstand the magical process the circle would invoke.

Ten of them survived.

Once back at the Dome, you all meet up with the Forstani. Radagast has the five selected spell-casters form a small circle sitting on the ground.

He spends about ten minutes instructing them on how to visualize the magic that they wielded. From there, they had to visualize the others magic. It was only after they did that that they could now 'blend' the magic together. He then had each of them put on two rings--one on each hand.

Once all five magical auras were blended, they could now move the 'circle' over to the Dome and press it against the Dome, whose magical aura was now visible.

Then they had to push through. It was hard, and Radagast kept urging them to push harder. After a dozen minutes, there was now a hole in the Dome! Fresh air could be felt flowing through the hole.

Anira and Lady Isile can also join in the circle if they wish.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:47, Mon 15 Jan 2018.

Radagast the Brown
 Istari, 93 posts
 Istari Ranger/Druid
 Wizard/Nature Warden
Mon 15 Jan 2018
at 18:54
In Forstan
"Anyone who wishes to go through the hole should take one of the rings, but only one from each of the spell-casters," Radagast announces then.

"It is the ring that will allow them to enter back through the Dome."

"I'm afraid that we must leave now. Hopefully we will return. But we do not need a ring, for we will not be coming back through the Dome at this time."

"If you are all ready, it is time for us to leave."


He steps over to the hole, but hesitates before stepping through to make sure everyone is ready.
Lady Isile
 Fellowship, 209 posts
 Moriquende
 Sorceress/Oracle
Tue 16 Jan 2018
at 00:16
In Forstan
Lady Isile didn't refuse a chance to weild her magic and help shape a hole in a Dome of such power.  Allowing the people that has been trapped here some freedom.

After aiding in creating the circle she only stared at it for a few more moments before hearing Radagast speak of leaving.  Then she moved over to his side and was ready to leave.  But she also learned something very important this day.  Something she would learn how to create at a later time.

"Yes the Entwives are still out there needing our aid.

Borun Redbeard
 Fellowship, 202 posts
 Dwarf
 Monk/Empyreal sorcerer
Tue 16 Jan 2018
at 14:46
In Forstan
Borun watched with rapt attention as the senior spellcasters manipulated magical energy.

As Radagast prepared to walk out through the hole, Borun turned to say his farewell to the blue "elves". "I hope that we can remain in friendly contact in the future. If you should ever have need, travel to the Iron Hills and call upon my colleagues at the Diamond Heart Academy. I have no doubt that we shall meet again. I don't know where or when, but
I know we'll meet again.
"

Borun bowed deeply and followed Radagast.
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 496 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Fri 19 Jan 2018
at 02:20
In Forstan
With everyone of the fellowship outside the Dome now, one brave Forstani volunteers to step through as well. He has a ring.

Then the hole closes.

As the fellowship begins to walk away, the hole appears in the Dome again. Even though the Dome is completely transparent, when the hole is made, it starts out as a pinprick-size hole that expands as far as the wizards wish it to be. As it enlarges, it's like the force is being compressed backwards, which distorts the light a bit with the compression. The more compression, the greater the distortion, until the edge is a translucent white.

The volunteer steps back through, clearly relieved, while those within are just as clearly excited at the success.
Radagast the Brown
 Istari, 94 posts
 Istari Ranger/Druid
 Wizard/Nature Warden
Fri 19 Jan 2018
at 02:28
In Forstan
Radagast walks in the crevasses among the tumbled boulders and rocks of the surrounding fractured land but only for a short distance.

"We can climb over these rocks, but the going will be rough and slow," he tells the others. "While loathe to suggest it, I think we might try to teleport for short distances... no farther than we can see, though."

"Lady Isile, might we prevail upon you once more to take to the skies and scout the terrain ahead? We merely need a flat piece of terrain... even a mostly flat boulder will suffice... with which Anira can set up her shelter."

"Again, beware of both flying threats and anything that might be able to attack you from the ground. We probably will not be able to help you if such an attack occurs."

Lady Isile
 Fellowship, 210 posts
 Moriquende
 Sorceress/Oracle
Fri 19 Jan 2018
at 02:45
In Forstan
Lady Isile walked through the dome and on the other side she was shocked at the landscape and wondered how would anything survive out there but she knew that the Entwives were out there somewhere and they were the main purpose for the group to save.

Nodding her head to Radagast she smiled as her body shimmered and took the shape of a eagle.  Taking flight in the air she needed to see if there was a spot that the party could teleport to safely but she also had to keep a watchful eye for anything flying in the sky toward her as well.  That was the blessing of her own innate powers to detect magic as she scanned the area and skies.
Borun Redbeard
 Fellowship, 203 posts
 Dwarf
 Monk/Empyreal sorcerer
Mon 22 Jan 2018
at 12:08
In Forstan
While Lady Isile scanned the terrain, Borun kept his own vigil at ground level. His gaze surveyed the horizon all around, occasionally checking the land closer to the group.
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 497 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Mon 22 Jan 2018
at 17:46
In Forstan
While Lady Isile scouts ahead from the sky, someone from Forstan comes running out of the city through the hole before it closes.

"Veralynn sends her apologies," the woman says. "Veralynn was so caught up in the moment that she forgot her manners. Though, your departure was rather abrupt."

She holds out her hand and presents three walnut-sized crystals.

"As you may have noticed, we Forstani have had to focus our... interests internally, since the Dome went up. We've developed a skill with crystals."

"These three crystals are bridging crystals. You can use them to cross the rifts. To be honest, we don't know that the rifts exist, but we were told that by the Orcs of Belegost many years ago."

"They are one of the surviving cities in the Broken Lands. At least, they were. They tried to attack us several times after the Dome had been raised. Of course, they couldn't get through the Dome. Eventually, we came to an understanding with them. They respected our strength because the Dome was stronger than anything they could do."

"They haven't been back in a long time, but they told us they were the masters of the Broken Lands, that Belegost was in the center of them, and if we ever needed safe passage through the Broken Lands, we should ask them."

"I know. It's rather farfetched, isn't it? And it's been so long that we haven't really thought about it much. But, Veralynn thinks that they might be able to help you, if you can make peaceful contact with them."

"This ring may help."


She slides a ring off her hand, and hands it to Radagast.

She turns then and runs back through the hole in the Dome, as if she's afraid of what might be out here, or afraid of being stranded outside.
Grimfast
 Fellowship, 28 posts
 Beorning
 Feral Hunter/Skald
Thu 25 Jan 2018
at 03:01
In Forstan
"That was... unexpected," Grimfast commented. His abilities hadn't been needed much on this part of the quest. Mind and magic were the tools required so far, and those were not his strengths.

But, Orcs! Now that was more like it!

"Wait. That doesn't sound like any Orcs I've ever heard of. Can we really make friends with them?"

This message was last edited by the player at 19:13, Fri 26 Jan 2018.

Radagast the Brown
 Istari, 95 posts
 Istari Ranger/Druid
 Wizard/Nature Warden
Fri 26 Jan 2018
at 19:10
In Forstan
"Well, now... that was... interesting," Radagast commented to the others as the Forstan woman retreated back through the Dome.

Lady Isile was already aloft, so he couldn't ask her to keep an eye out for these rifts. They must be pretty large... or perhaps deep... too deep to climb down and then up the other side.

"As I said," he told the others, "I think from here on magic will be problematical. The bigger the magic, the more difficult it will be to control. I can feel it. It's in the landscape. The same dark magic that was used to shatter this land still lingers. That's what we'll have to overcome to do magic."

"At least we know this fractured terrain doesn't go on forever."

Azurak the Blue
 GM, 498 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Fri 26 Jan 2018
at 20:15
You Are Now Leaving Forstan
Once up in the sky, Lady Isile's view is considerably broader, but she has to go pretty high to see anything more than the broken rocks.

She can barely see Naethrul back to the west, nothing else to the south, but some distant hills to the north. To the east, the direction they needed to go, there are some different features. She can see a trio of dark lines running across the landscape north to south, and beyond them, a pinnacle of rock that that kind of looks like a crude fortress.

She can't quite see the end of the broken lands, but presumably they stop at the two ranges of mountains that she can see.

Remembering what she was supposed to be looking for, she spots large flat stone to the west, but a bit north of a direct route. It appears to be close to the first dark line.
Lady Isile
 Fellowship, 212 posts
 Moriquende
 Sorceress/Oracle
Thu 1 Feb 2018
at 21:06
You Are Now Leaving Forstan
Diving down toward the party she swoops past them then turns around in a slower speed as her form chances when she is by the party.

"It is a beautiful sight from above.  But we must be careful I seen a trio of dark lines running across the landscape north to south, and beyond them, a pinnacle of rock that that kind of looks like a crude fortress.


To the west I could see large flat stone.

Azurak the Blue
 GM, 499 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Wed 7 Feb 2018
at 17:44
You Are Now Leaving Forstan
Now that Lady Isile has surveyed the surrounding landscape and rejoined the others, it's up to Anira to teleport everyone. With a decent description of the landing site, and the direction, Anira has no problem teleporting the group there. Only this time, it's different.

Until now, she's never felt any sensation during the instantaneous teleport. One moment she's here, the next moment she's there. This time, it seems to start out normally, but she has a distinct impression of not only moving/motion, but it's as if she was moving against a current that got stronger as the destination drew nearer.

She can't really say that it took longer, only that something was affecting the transition.

She wasn't the only one that felt it, either. Everyone else had the same feeling.

Other than that, though, the transition was without problem, although the landing was slightly high... maybe one inch.
Radagast the Brown
 Istari, 96 posts
 Istari Ranger/Druid
 Wizard/Nature Warden
Wed 7 Feb 2018
at 18:02
You Are Now Leaving Forstan
"Did everyone else feel that?" Radagast asked upon landing.

"That was the external magic interfering with the teleportation. It couldn't quite stop it, but that may change the closer we get to the center of these Broken Lands, which is presumably the Orc abode."

"That may also explain the Orcs. As creatures of dark magic to begin with, if that much power has been twisting them for all this time, it could very well have twisted them into something not quite so dark. I wouldn't go so far as to claim it turned them into something good. That may be impossible. Kind of like turning the skin of an apple into a suit of armor. Not that it can't be done, but the final product is so far removed from the original as to not really be the same thing at all any more."

"This distance wasn't very far, really. Sauron was tampering with things he didn't fully understand. It didn't matter to him as long as the end result was what he wanted. The fallout from it was insignificant as he didn't think there was anything in the universe that he couldn't master... except his own hubris."

"The Blue Wizards may have crossed the line a bit, too... in an effort to fight fire with fire, as it were. We can't yet say whether they were justified. We've seen two results, neither one of which was totally bad."


He glanced around at the flat rock they were now standing on. It was certainly large enough, which had made it easy to spot from the air. But, it wasn't really totally flat, though close enough for their needs. Nor was it completely level. It had a slight tilt to it; again, close enough for their needs. It looked like a huge slab of stone had risen up out of the ground and then fallen over and shattered. The largest central section had remained intact.

"I suggest we set your mansion, Anira, then rest and regroup for the night... think about what we will do tomorrow. We can study those books we got from Naethrul."
Borun Redbeard
 Fellowship, 204 posts
 Dwarf
 Monk/Empyreal sorcerer
Wed 7 Feb 2018
at 18:04
You Are Now Leaving Forstan
In reply to Azurak the Blue (msg # 506):

Borun almost stumbled after the teleportation. He frowned and raised an inquiring eyebrow towards Lady Isile. "Something... not quite right?"
Anira
 Fellowship, 102 posts
 Half-Elf
 Witch-Rogue
Thu 8 Feb 2018
at 06:33
You Are Now Leaving Forstan
They made it to the right spot but Anira was pale and her brow furrowed as she shook her head.  "That was ... unpleasant," she stated mildly.  When Radagast suggested it could be even harder the closer they came to the center, she frowned even more.  The suggestion that the orcs could be twisted wasn't a pleasant one but she stifled her thoughts on the matter, knowing they would cross that bridge once they reached said bridge.  It didn't take her long to cast the spell giving them a safe place to sleep, or at least rest.  Though she had known things would not be pleasant, the longer they searched the more she wondered if they would ever make it back home.
Lady Isile
 Fellowship, 213 posts
 Moriquende
 Sorceress/Oracle
Sat 10 Feb 2018
at 01:54
You Are Now Leaving Forstan
Looking at Borun "I agree that there is something amiss here, but it will take time to understand it or to even grasp what it really is.  And time is something we don't have much of.

It is ashame that there is so much knowledge here that we can't take the time to peruse


She moves to place her hands upon the stone and cast a spell.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/...s/w/whispering-lore/
Borun Redbeard
 Fellowship, 205 posts
 Dwarf
 Monk/Empyreal sorcerer
Sun 11 Feb 2018
at 16:21
You Are Now Leaving Forstan
Borun listened patiently to Radagast's detailed explanation. He continued frowning,but remained silent while setting up inside Anira's magical shelter.