Chapter 2: Keepers of Olvar.   Posted by Azurak the Blue.Group: 0
Gwynhwyfar the Fair
 player, 47 posts
 Barding/Laketown
 Druid/Sorceress
Mon 26 May 2014
at 21:45
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
"I would suggest we remain the night here and take whatever provisions we can and move off in the morning," Gwyn said to the company and to Radagast, comparing skills and knowledge seemed pretentious to her.  She believed none of the company would be here if Radagast had not found them capable to fulfill the quest he had asked them to undertake.


OOC is there a map? :D
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 43 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Mon 26 May 2014
at 23:39
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
There's one under the Game Map now.
Haldir
 player, 22 posts
 Silvan Elf
 Ranger/MagusSpellDancer
Tue 27 May 2014
at 00:20
Re:  Keepers of Olvar

       Haldir, looking to his table companions, gestures emphatically with both out-
stretched hands while he speaks in an excited tone of voice . . .

       "Wot about the nigh half a score O' vile Orcs whose trail crossed the Old
Forest Road.  Doth we let them trek across art sacred wood with impunity.  Besides
they mayst be the very ones that art threatening the Ents!" 

This message was last edited by the player at 12:03, Tue 27 May 2014.

Borun Redbeard
 player, 28 posts
 Dwarf
 Monk/Empyreal sorcerer
Tue 27 May 2014
at 10:24
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
Borun frowned at Gwynhwyfar's refusal to discuss her skills. How are we to co-operate if she doesn't trust us? he thought. On the other hand, Master Radagast trusts her.

Perhaps she has her reasons for keeping secrets. After pondering the matter, Borun decided to give her the benefit of the doubt.
Haldir
 player, 23 posts
 Silvan Elf
 Ranger/MagusSpellDancer
Tue 27 May 2014
at 12:00
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
       Gwynhwyfar's disappointing words grated upon Haldir's ears with great dis-
comfort, and he soon found that he couldn't control his tongue when it came to his
friends of the Wood, and proceeds to address the lass . . .

       "Lass if'n it twere yer folk wot be suffering at the hands O' the minions
O' the Shadow, wouldst thee naught be all the more so inclined to begin art venture
at the now druther than on the morrow!  With a bit O' clear thinking and making
wise use O' the Wood about us, I'm sure that wot we art in need O' shall be easily
provided.

       It wouldst be an utter shame if art dilly dallying allowed just a single
unfortunate Ent to fall for the sake O' art unconscionable comforts!  Methinks it
best to venture forth as soon as we get all the information wot tis needed!
Know this, that in order to get to those Ents whom art in need O' us, it will be
quite likely that there will naught be any trails to where we must go, so mounts
will mores the likely be O' no use to us in the deep wood!  If thee hath ev'r made
the attempt to ride in the deep wood, ye wouldst know that performing seech a task
wouldst be quite risky for both rider and mount!   It'd be best to go afoot, and
consequently the supplies that we must carry should be kept to a minimum so as to
naught slow us down any the more than necessary."

       The Elf raises a curious brow as he turns his attention to the Dwarf and
asks, "Wot says thee Dwarf Borun Redbeard O' the Diamond Heart Academy
pon this matter O' whence we should leave, and about art mode O' travel?" 

This message was last edited by the player at 12:18, Tue 27 May 2014.

Gwynhwyfar the Fair
 player, 49 posts
 Barding/Laketown
 Druid/Sorceress
Tue 27 May 2014
at 12:23
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
"Oh Bane is quite adept at anything but water, he hates swimming, being a lion," she smiled.  "If need be I can fly over the woods or become a lion myself to walk right along side him.  - It is one of the things I can do, if I need to," she smiled again.
Haldir
 player, 24 posts
 Silvan Elf
 Ranger/MagusSpellDancer
Tue 27 May 2014
at 12:29
Re:  Keepers of Olvar

       The Ranger shakes his head in wonderment, and adds . . .

       "Sadly there art those O' us whom can naught take to the air and fly oe'r
the Wildwood or shift shape into a lion as thee can Gwynhwyfar.  Mine self and
some O' the tuthers must rely solely pon art bipedal motion to get us to where
we need to go."

This message was last edited by the player at 12:37, Tue 27 May 2014.

Wren
 player, 56 posts
 Half-Elf
 Monk/Rogue
Wed 28 May 2014
at 03:43
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
Throughout the whole of the discussion, Wren remained quiet. The excessively elaborate elf and the arrival of the dwarf shortly after had turned the conversation in an awkward direction for someone whose talents ran as hers did. More distressingly, it seemed the dwarf shared  some of her gifts - but no matter. She'd always been more clever and agile than strong, and agility was something few dwarves could claim.

She was more interested in Radagast's reply. Odd, that he wouldn't be able to pinpoint the problem. The elf seemed to have a keen opinion of wanting to hunt orcs, but that hardly seemed prudent. She wasn't here to join an open warband.

"It seems to me that chasing after a pack of orcs would be a diversion if we're not sure it is related to our task. By all means, we should be mindful of their presence, but we shouldn't go seeking fights that aren't our concern. if anything untoward were to happen on such a side venture, who would help the Ents then...?" she prompted the Elf, before shaking her head a little and turning her eyes toward Gwyn. "I like your plan."
Borun Redbeard
 player, 32 posts
 Dwarf
 Monk/Empyreal sorcerer
Wed 28 May 2014
at 10:07
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
OOC: To Azurak, what time of day is it at the moment?
Lady Isile
 player, 62 posts
 Moriquende
 Sorceress/Oracle
Wed 28 May 2014
at 11:29
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
Her soft lips produced a small curve enjoying what Wren had to say. It was surely her Elven blood coming to the surface with such wisdom.

Lady Isile was being the quiet one at the moment an just listening while the others talk or debated. Her mind was more focused on the right route in heading South. But in what exact direction. The South was vast.
Haldir
 player, 26 posts
 Silvan Elf
 Ranger/MagusSpellDancer
Wed 28 May 2014
at 12:14
Re:  Keepers of Olvar

       It seemed as though their mission to the Ents wasn't thought by several of
his more refined companions to be as pressing a matter as he obviously did.  Their
mission wasn't to be an easy task, but one rife with expected dangers.

        Totally bewildered by what he had heard, Haldir felt the need to clarify a
few things to those of the gentler persuasion, so's that the reality of the situation
at hand would be better understood . . .

       "Yea most verily, we art a war band naught matter the mission.  To allow any
O' art sworn foes free reign in art most sacred wood wouldst be most imprudent
indeed!  Naught matter the Orcs purpose, it tis one wot will bring the shadow O'
darkness pon art sacred wood all the more quickly! Their path obviously lies along
the one we hath chosen, n' if it crosses ours, then it tis fate that shalt guide
r'e hands to smite seech ill begotten creatures.  To allow them to accomplish wot
ever machinations wot hath been planned for wouldst be sorely remiss pon art part
to say the least!  Tis a long way to go to reach the Ents, n' much can happen in
art comings and goings.  If it tis but a half a score O' Orcs wot needs to be dealt
with, then methinks that we should find it within art abilities to smite seech vile
reatures easy enough without jeopardizing art primary mission at hand.  Wot says
thee pon this matter Borun?"


This message was last edited by the player at 12:20, Wed 28 May 2014.

Lady Isile
 player, 63 posts
 Moriquende
 Sorceress/Oracle
Wed 28 May 2014
at 22:46
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
She had heard enough, it seemed that Haldir has appointed himself or the Dwarf Borun leaders or in charge of those that are Keepers of the Olvar.  Last she heard or observed that there was none in that position and until the group decides what course of action they were to go then everything should be voted on as a group on just what the two males may think.

Haldir if Fate has it that the path that we have been placed upon crosses those foul creatures then we will do what is needed to keep their disease from spreading.  But let us make it clear, these woods that you speak of are art not the most sacred wood to everyone sitting here. I think you should keep that in mind as well.
her eyes did dart to the Dwarf briefly.

"And I am in agreement with Wren, that we should leave in the early morning.  I don't think traveling in the night would be helpful to some of us. looking again at the Dwarf briefly.

Then she gave Haldir a soft smile "But if you feel that what you think is true and these foul creatures need to be eradicate then I suggest you go on ahead tonight and take your newest friend and we will meet you in the morning somewhere in the woods heading South.
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 44 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Wed 28 May 2014
at 23:10
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
It is just past noon. Through the woods, you can expect to make 18 miles before dark.
Haldir
 player, 28 posts
 Silvan Elf
 Ranger/MagusSpellDancer
Thu 29 May 2014
at 00:10
Re:  Keepers of Olvar

       Haldir's countenance grows most serious upon hearing the Ladies stinging
words about his homeland, as well as his strong desires to react quickly where his
friends were conerned, and responds with great emotion . . .

       "Know this . . . being a Keeper O' the Olvan tis wot I hath been since ev'r
I can remember.  I am one with this ere great wood druther it be the best O'
tymes or the worst O' tymes!

        This ere sacred wood tis mine home, and it shalt always be 'Greenwood the
Great' as far as I'm concerned, naught matter wot ev'r blight that mayst lay pon it
at the now!

       If the situation twere turnt around and it twas thy friends, hearth, and home
wot twas threatened, thy story would mores the likely be much the different than it
tis now!

       Nev'r didst I assume command or implied it.   I twas arguing a point wot
hadst to be made as far as I'm concerned.  Pon the tuther hand, I can naught ev'r
follow anyone that hath naught any deep heartfelt feelings for this wood, its
fauna, or its flora!

       I wish to act quickly so as to minimize the losses O' mine lifelong friends.
A true friend O' the Wood wouldst naught act any differently and methinks to say any differently wouldst diminish mineself in the eyes O' mine friends!"


      The Elf then adds . . .

      If we should leave at the now we couldst travel nigh a score O' miles afore
dark!
</serif>

       Haldir looks to the Dwarf in order to note his reaction to his remarks . . .

This message was last edited by the player at 00:18, Thu 29 May 2014.

Borun Redbeard
 player, 33 posts
 Dwarf
 Monk/Empyreal sorcerer
Thu 29 May 2014
at 01:49
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
Borun noted the friction between Haldir and Lasy Isile. He did his best to reach a compromise.

"Lady Isile, you mentioned that you might commune with nature to discover our foes? What is the nature of this communal?"

In particular, Borun was hoping to know the time that the communal would take, and whether it could be performed today. If so, there was plenty of time remaining in the day to make progress.
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 48 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Thu 29 May 2014
at 02:03
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
"There is much to be said for either course of action," Radagast comments as he stops by the table.

"There are things that can be done between now and morning, and it would be considerate of those who aren't dwellers in the wild."

"Yes, the Ents are... in trouble, though I know not how or why, but they are long lived creatures. They will survive until the morrow."

"Might I suggest, however, that you choose a leader among you. Decisions will have to be made in but a moment; there'll be no time for such lengthy debate."

Wren
 player, 58 posts
 Half-Elf
 Monk/Rogue
Thu 29 May 2014
at 03:14
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
Wren paused as the elf went into detail about how sacred the forest was to him, and she released a gentle sigh when he was done, glancing to the others. Sure, he had his reasons, but they weren't everyone's reasons. She then looked to the one she'd managed to speak briefly with before, Lady Isile. She had seemed to know Radagast, and her offer of discerning more about their objective was a good and promising one.

Then Radagast came by and asked them to choose a leader, to make decisions for them. Wren scowled just a little. He did have a point, but the idea of one of the others pushing her about fell flat to her. She stifled her anxiousness on the subject and instead cleared her throat. "If Lady Isile can get more information, I'd say we do that first. And if we come across your orc pack, then by all means we should deal with them. But I don't think going out of our way to seek something that could get us injured or killed is a good idea. That's all." she said, glancing to Haldir.

"... I don't know about this talk of leader. It's a fair idea, but who, here is most committed to the task at hand when we don't even know what that task is?" Wren bit her lip. "Trusting strangers isn't easy..." She said with a murmured trail of her voice. There was more to it than that, but she didn't seem keen to say more. "... but I will help."
Lady Isile
 player, 64 posts
 Moriquende
 Sorceress/Oracle
Thu 29 May 2014
at 04:41
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
It was good to see Radagast walk over to the table and give his advise but still she knew that these two were going to be a handful, and even if she was chosen as leader of the Keepers of Olvar they wouldn't listen to her.

When the young Wren spoke it was a relief finally someone else that wanted to do what they were sent to do and not go chasing some lonely band of Orcs.  Surely those within the area should be able to deal with them plus Radagast would already know where they are if he is so in-tuned with the nature of these woods as well.

Turning to Wren "I can go and speak with the Nature and see what I may be able to uncover.  It will take as much time as Nature commands for me to listen. she knew she had many ways of doing this but first she needed to speak with the forest of these lands again and see if they are connected with the Ents in the South.
Borun Redbeard
 player, 34 posts
 Dwarf
 Monk/Empyreal sorcerer
Thu 29 May 2014
at 11:34
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
Lady Isile's vague answer about the duration of her communal did not inspire confidence.

The situation was going from bad to worse. There was no possibility of Haldir and Lady Isile accepting each other as leader. Indeed no-one seemed to trust anyone else.

For Borun's part, he trusted Master Thordin, and Master Thordin trusted Master Radagast. In turn, Master Radagast trusted all of these people. Borun would certainly give them the benefit of the doubt, at least until he had cause to think otherwise.

"Master Radagast, I fear that you will need to appoint a leader. Otherwise none of us will be accepted by all of the others."

Borun did not particularly want to receive a dagger in the back while sleeping for giving an order that someone disliked. Borun continued, "I myself do not wish to be leader. Otherwise, I have no opinion regarding who might be most suitable."
Haldir
 player, 29 posts
 Silvan Elf
 Ranger/MagusSpellDancer
Thu 29 May 2014
at 12:02
Re:  Keepers of Olvar

        Although he was suspicious of all Dwarves, Borun spoke much more wisely than
either of the gentler folk had and would more than likely prove a better leader
than anyone else.

        In spite of his feeling on the matter, Haldir finds himself grimmacing
at the Dwarf's suggestion to Radagast that he should appoint a leader on thier
behalf . . .

        "Mayhaps seech a thing should wait till later, at a tyme whence each O' us
can see how the tuthers react whilst in the field."
   


OCC:  Even the original 'Companionship' had problems within their group,
      especially where Boromir was concerned . . .

Lady Isile
 player, 65 posts
 Moriquende
 Sorceress/Oracle
Thu 29 May 2014
at 12:40
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
Her dark green eyes looked over the dwarf for a moment as her mind raced with images.

To ask Radagast to choose a leader, but in the next sentence retract himself from the choice.
Kind of prudish.

Just wonder if Radagast did choice him just for asking. Would he oblige the duty.

Wren
 player, 59 posts
 Half-Elf
 Monk/Rogue
Thu 29 May 2014
at 13:36
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
Wren glanced to the dwarf with a gentle nod. She'd overlooked his arrival at first, but he made a fine point. "I'm not inclined to give - or take - orders, but I can make a hasty call if that's what you're looking for." She shook her head a little. "I usually turn out well in situations like that." She folded her arms on the table in front of her.

"In any case, we need information. We also need to get moving. I'd rather set out at first light, especially if Lady Isile needs much time to conduct her magic. If you all prefer we start with a half-day's progress, though, that's fine. Not to worry, I can't carry much, but I won't slow us down in the field." She'd put that much forward in the short-term. She wasn't sure she wanted to be counted as leader, or even if the elves would accept a Half-blood like her as leader, but she felt the idea of being leader would suit her better than following.
Gwynhwyfar the Fair
 Keeper of Olvar, 52 posts
 Barding/Laketown
 Druid/Sorceress
Thu 29 May 2014
at 22:20
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
"I have no interest in leading anything more than a pack of animals.  Perhaps it will become evident on the trail, or change from situation to situation," Gwyn speculated as she finished her stew and dabbed her lips with a handkerchief from the interior of one of her voluminous sleeves.
Radagast the Brown
 Istari, 1 post
 Druid
 Wizard
Fri 30 May 2014
at 01:40
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
"My, my, my," Radagast interrupted the debate. "I apologize for ruffling any feathers. I had no idea you would find it so hard to choose one of you to lead, or perhaps the hard part is the following."

"Yes, yes, I realize that you aren't familiar with each others abilities, but that should really be incidental. You wouldn't be leading the group into battle, but TO the battle... well, possibly."

"I should see to the Ents myself, of course, and while I had not planned on accompanying you, I was expecting to join you somewhere along the way. One must always allow for a change of plans... often from a change of mind, but some from a change of circumstances."

"Thus, if you can see your way to following me, I shall lead you to the Ents. Is that a suitable compromise?"

Borun Redbeard
 Keeper of Olvar, 42 posts
 Dwarf
 Monk/Empyreal sorcerer
Fri 30 May 2014
at 01:42
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
"I shall be happy to follow your recommendation, Master Radagast," Borun replied.