Chapter 2: Keepers of Olvar.   Posted by Azurak the Blue.Group: 0
Haldir
 Keeper of Olvar, 53 posts
 Silvan Elf
 Ranger/MagusSpellDancer
Wed 2 Jul 2014
at 08:44
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
        As Haldir moves through the smoke, he communicates with Sting by way of their
telepathic link . . .
 
        "Sting doth thee see any foes lurking about, and where art they now?"


        The Spell Dancing Ranger's 'familiar' looks about from its hidden position
for any foes, then replies telepathically back to his friend . . .
Gwynhwyfar the Fair
 Keeper of Olvar, 64 posts
 Barding/Laketown
 Druid/Sorceress
Wed 2 Jul 2014
at 12:29
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
Distaste for the bright sun of day, Gwen squawked a magical word, her wings beating as if waving in an incantation before the ground below was bathed in the light of day.

OOC:  Casting daylight in their midst
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 100 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Sun 6 Jul 2014
at 19:14
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
Bleh. Holiday got the best of me...


Haldir and Sting can spot two combats going on--Wren vs. a giant cat, and Borun vs. the last two trolls.


The incendiary cloud of smoke and burning embers continues to expand outward, as well as rising upward. Even though Lady Isile has been keeping her distance, the expanding cloud is forcing her farther away. She spotted the witch moving away from the cloud, but then the witch disappeared completely.

A few moments later, she is being attacked by a small flock of ravens... about ten of them. She spots them before they can actually strike, so none of them get close enough to hit her yet.


Gwyn casts a Daylight spell in the area, but it doesn't seem to do anything. The smoke still diffuses the light, though you can tell there's a different light source now.


Having gotten the better of the witch's familiar so far, Wren tries another flurry of blows, but is prepared to flee just in case.

19:18, Sun 06 July 2014: Azurak the Blue, on behalf of Wren, rolled 26,30,31,20,25 using 1d20+15,1d20+15,1d20+15,1d20+10,1d20+10 ((11,15,16,10,15)).

She does a little better this time, hitting for 4 of her strikes.

19:27, Sun 06 July 2014: Azurak the Blue, on behalf of Wren, rolled 13,5,10,8 using 2d6+1,2d6+1,2d6+1,2d6+1 ((6,6,2,2,4,5,1,6)).

She's done 38 points of damage to Erebyss... more than the previous round, but it still could have been better. She really didn't like hitting a cat.

This cat, however, strikes back!

19:36, Sun 06 July 2014: Erebyss rolled 19 using 1d20+12 ((7)).

He misses again, but this time he withdraws and flees, since he was mostly covering Moridreth's retreat.


That leaves the two trolls that Borun is bashing on.

19:41, Sun 06 July 2014: Stone troll #3 rolled 32,30,17,12,9,9 using 1d20+16,1d20+16,1d20+16,1d8+7,1d8+7,1d8+7 ((16,14,1,5,2,2)).

Because his buddy is flanking Borun, the troll just manages to hit Borun for 12 points of damage.

Troll #4, however, doesn't even fare that well.

19:47, Sun 06 July 2014: Stone Troll #4 rolled 18,20,22,13,15,11 using 1d20+16,1d20+16,1d20+16,1d8+7,1d8+7,1d8+7 ((2,4,6,6,8,4)).


Radagast still has his ball lightnings dancing around. With two trolls dead, he directs all four of them to attack Troll #4.

19:58, Sun 06 July 2014: Radagast the Brown rolled 11,8,12,18 using 3d6,3d6,3d6,3d6 ((6,1,4,5,2,1,4,6,2,6,6,6)).

20:04, Sun 06 July 2014: Troll #4 17,24,8,21 using 1d20+5,1d20+5,1d20+5,1d20+5 ((12,19,3,16)) Reflex saving throw against the lightning balls.

He manages to dodge two of them, but still takes 23 points of damage from the two that hit.

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:57, Tue 08 July 2014.

Haldir
 Keeper of Olvar, 54 posts
 Silvan Elf
 Ranger/MagusSpellDancer
Sun 6 Jul 2014
at 20:49
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
          After having spotted the 'Large Cat' battling Wren, the Spell Dancer
immediately takes a deadly shaft from his quiver and fires at it from his Composite
Longbow, and then unleashes another for good measure in the hopes that killing the
creature would slow the Witch down markedly.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:57, Sun 06 July 2014.

Lady Isile
 Keeper of Olvar, 87 posts
 Moriquende
 Sorceress/Oracle
Tue 8 Jul 2014
at 04:47
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
She was holding her action and once she saw the witch she was about to invoke a spell to make the powers of the Heavens fall down upon her, but with her vanishing and now a flock of birds appears she is able to direct the spell in a 20 r' in front of her so that all those birds feels her wraith.


WILL save DC 23
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG...ite.html#_holy-smite

00:47, Today: Lady Isile rolled 25 using 5d8 with rolls of 8,4,6,2,5. Holy Smite.

Azurak the Blue
 GM, 103 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Tue 8 Jul 2014
at 07:13
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
Both of Haldir's arrows hit the fleeing cat; it is evil, so the additional holy damage kills it.


Lady Isile's holy smite kills all the birds that were attacking her.
Borun Redbeard
 Keeper of Olvar, 66 posts
 Dwarf
 Monk/Empyreal sorcerer
Tue 8 Jul 2014
at 08:49
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
Borun's current hit points: 108 (max 140)
AC 34

Swift action: arcane strike

Full attack, first targeting the more injured troll

First attack: +19
Second attack: +19
Third attack: +14
Fourth attack: +14
Haste attack: +19

Borun is not using Stunning Fist against the injured troll. However, if the injured troll is killed, Borun will use Stunning Fist against the uninjured troll with any remaining +19 attacks.

This message was last edited by the player at 10:20, Tue 08 July 2014.

Borun Redbeard
 Keeper of Olvar, 67 posts
 Dwarf
 Monk/Empyreal sorcerer
Tue 8 Jul 2014
at 08:55
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
First attack: 22
Second attack: 35
Third attack: 17
Fourth attack: natural 20!
Roll to confirm: 22
Haste attack: 34
Haldir
 Keeper of Olvar, 55 posts
 Silvan Elf
 Ranger/MagusSpellDancer
Tue 8 Jul 2014
at 22:40
Re:  Keepers of Olvar

       With bow still in hand, Haldir readies another deadly shaft as he heads on a
course that would take him along the very same path that the large cat would have
taken in the hopes that he'd be able to find the Witch's most current tracks . . .

       The Spell Dancing Ranger speeds up his pace just a tad (currently moving
at 60 feet a round so his tracking skills (survival/tracking roll will only take
a -10 adjust due to his Ranger abilities) in order to track down his quarry;
as Haldir does so, he speaks . . .

       "Those O' ye whom wishes the foul abomination to come to ruin and damnation
follow mine self at the now!"

This message was last edited by the player at 22:40, Tue 08 July 2014.

Azurak the Blue
 GM, 105 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Sun 13 Jul 2014
at 21:25
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
Borun is able to hit troll #3 with his first three attacks, though the third one just barely manages to hit because the troll is falling down already. Still, those three attacks are enough to finish him off.

that allows Borun to turn his last two attacks on the last troll. His first attack hits and criticals, doing 38 points of damage. It's not enough to take the troll down, but Borun's last attack hits and finishes him off.

21:50, Sun 13 July 2014: Azurak the Blue, on behalf of Borun Redbeard, rolled 16, 15, 15, 16 using 2d6+7, 2d6+7, 2d6+7, 2d6+7 ((5,4,6,2,5,3,2,6)) damage for 4 attacks.


Haldir, after dropping the familiar, quickly sets off in pursuit of the witch. As he passes the dead familiar, it dissolves into a black mist that swiftly fades away. try as he might, however, Haldir cannot pick up the trail of the witch. He does find where she came from, somewhere to the west, probably a week ago. It was an old game trail.

Knowing where she was, however, he finds her footprints that she made after the battle began, but they come to an abrupt end.
Haldir
 Keeper of Olvar, 56 posts
 Silvan Elf
 Ranger/MagusSpellDancer
Mon 14 Jul 2014
at 11:26
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
       Haldir realizes that tracking the Witch any further would be fruitless,
and with bow still in hand he turns about, and heads back to a position not too
far off from his foes campfire.  While remaining alert for any possible counter
attack by their adversaries, the Spell Dancing Ranger waits for the foul smoke
to die down, and when its finally clears enough to enter his foes campsite, he
cautiously advances, and proceeds to search the area for anything that the Witch
may have left behind after her hasty withdrawl from combat.

      Haldir realized that she may have left something behind in her hasty
retreat that could possibly provide clues as to what their mission may
have been . . . and begins to search the area where she'd been seen.
Gwynhwyfar the Fair
 Keeper of Olvar, 65 posts
 Barding/Laketown
 Druid/Sorceress
Mon 14 Jul 2014
at 23:23
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
Winging in, Gwyn raven form shimmered and she grew and morphed back into her comely self.  Surveying the landscape grimly she spoke.
"We have made a powerful enemy," she declared.  "We will have to be cautious the remainder of our journey.  What was she concocting?" she asked, looking about, searching for answers.

OOC19:23, Today: Gwynhwyfar the Fair rolled 20 using 1d20+10 with rolls of 10. know arcana.
Lady Isile
 Keeper of Olvar, 88 posts
 Moriquende
 Sorceress/Oracle
Sat 19 Jul 2014
at 06:31
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
She smiled as she listened to Gwynhwyfar "Oh but that can also goes as she has a few powerful enemies to deal with.  I'm sure she will not dare strike at us as a party. flipping a lock of hair over her should as she waited for the cloud of smoke to dissipate and they can search more into the area.

Looking to Radagast "Have you ever seen her before? pausing "One with that much power surely has grown some sort of reputation.
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 109 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Sun 20 Jul 2014
at 07:15
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
Haldir begins examining and searching the area around the campfire. He almost misses the item because it is cleverly dyed to look like grass and weeds and dirt. It's a small sack (camouflaged).


Gwyn does wonder how the witch was making her strange brew, since there is nothing in the area that could possibly have made such a concoction. She does realize, however, that the witch was brewing just what she witnessed--Incendiary Cloud potions, a mass batch if the cauldron's contents were meant to be individual potions. It would have produced around 100 potions. This puzzles her slightly, as her knowledge about such things tells her that it shouldn't have been possible.

Gwyn also notices some lines drawn in the dirt by the campfire. After looking at it from a few different angles, she realizes it is a crude map.
Radagast the Brown
 Istari, 5 posts
 Druid
 Wizard
Sun 20 Jul 2014
at 07:37
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
"She does have a reputation," Radagast replies to Lady Isile. "This is not a typical action of hers, though. I mentioned at the start that I thought it was Moridreth the Dark Witch of Numenor. Still think it was, but can't be sure. Scent is wrong."

He goes back to where his sled and rabbits have been patiently waiting. He feeds them bits from his pocket, scratches behind their ears, and then brings them forward carefully avoiding the foul remains of the stone trolls.

As they come to a stop, they all turn their heads and look at Radagast.

"Yes, yes, I sensed it, too, but you are better at than I," he says to them as if replying to something unsaid.

"Haldir... the rabbits sense something amiss over in that area," he calls out to Haldir who is on the other side of the firepit, pointing to an area somewhere over to the left.
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 112 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Mon 28 Jul 2014
at 17:17
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
Anyone still playing in this thread?
Haldir
 Keeper of Olvar, 57 posts
 Silvan Elf
 Ranger/MagusSpellDancer
Mon 28 Jul 2014
at 19:28
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
        At Radigast's proddings, the Elven Spell Dancing Ranger tucks the witch's
purse securely into the folds of his raiments, and proceeds towards the area that
had been pointed out to him with caution, and with his deadly blade in hand . . .

        Haldir's icy blue orbs flit this way and that in an attempt to locate
whatever had gotten the attention of the Wizard . . .
Lady Isile
 Keeper of Olvar, 89 posts
 Moriquende
 Sorceress/Oracle
Mon 28 Jul 2014
at 20:19
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
Shaking her head at the name, it was a name she didn't hear of in her journeys but still that didn't mean she wouldn't be looking for them later.

"Moridreth the Dark Witch of Numenor. I will have to ask the creatures of the woods what they may tell me more about this witch. she looked to her own familiar and nodded her head.

When Radagast instructed Haldir to search over in an certain area she was interested in seeing what would be uncovered.
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 114 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Mon 28 Jul 2014
at 21:58
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
Haldir's attention is focused on a particular area, but he has no idea what he's looking for. He feels like he's getting closer, though he can't quite say how he knows that... and then he runs into it!

He still doesn't know what he's run into, but there is something there in front of him... fairly large. He feels around and quickly learns that it is a structure of some kind... one that is completely invisible!
Haldir
 Keeper of Olvar, 58 posts
 Silvan Elf
 Ranger/MagusSpellDancer
Tue 29 Jul 2014
at 04:57
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
         Without uttering a word, the Scout takes the time to gesture for his compan-
ions to follow;  Haldir then proceeds to diligently search for the entrance to the
invisible structure that stands before him with the flat of his free hand.
Azurak the Blue
 GM, 115 posts
 Storyteller
 StarMaster
Tue 29 Jul 2014
at 05:16
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
Haldir easily finds what he considers to be the 'front' door. It seems to have a typical doorknob.

The exterior wall felt smooth to the touch, as does the door.
Haldir
 Keeper of Olvar, 59 posts
 Silvan Elf
 Ranger/MagusSpellDancer
Tue 29 Jul 2014
at 05:56
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
          Realizing that he doesn't know whether the door is magically trapped,
Haldir reflexively draws his hand back from the door nob, and takes a step back.
He awaits the arrival of one whom is more qualified than he for the act of breaking
and entering into such places . . .
Borun Redbeard
 Keeper of Olvar, 69 posts
 Dwarf
 Monk/Empyreal sorcerer
Tue 29 Jul 2014
at 08:51
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
In the aftermath of the battle, Borun brushed away the dirt and looked around at his companions. None of them seemed to be seriously hurt.

Borun had a few ways to heal himself. He cast the spell False Life. Although not exactly healing, it would prevent injury if he was involved in another fight.

Next he focused his inner ki on self-healing. The bruises quickly disappeared.

Turning to his companions, he said, "Some of you are hurt. Gather round and I can heal you."

OOC: Channel positive energy for 6 points of healing.

"Sorry, my healing powers are somewhat limited," he apologized. "Nevertheless, I can still heal you individually if you are pure of heart," he offered.
Gwynhwyfar the Fair
 Keeper of Olvar, 68 posts
 Barding/Laketown
 Druid/Sorceress
Tue 29 Jul 2014
at 17:14
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
Gwyn wondered what the witch would want potions of fire for but examined her surroundings and got a sick feel of fire in a forest.  Turning her attention to the map, she looked it over carefully, trying to identify the landmarks and what they could mean...

OOC


13:11, Today: Gwynhwyfar the Fair rolled 26 using 1d20+10 with rolls of 16. know geography.
Lady Isile
 Keeper of Olvar, 90 posts
 Moriquende
 Sorceress/Oracle
Tue 29 Jul 2014
at 20:36
Re:  Keepers of Olvar
Watching Haldir move around something that was surely invisible.

"Would you like for me to Dispel the Magic around it? she asked.