Freeport - Stables.   Posted by TheDudeAbides.Group: 0
TheDudeAbides
 GM, 166 posts
Fri 13 Jun 2014
at 21:28
Freeport - Stables
    The Freeport stables are located immediately inside the gate and house some of the finest steeds in all of Linness. For generations, the horses bred in Freeport have been used to traverse the high road from the southern tip to the northern outlying points. Equine of many types are raised and bred within the Freeport stables and vary in size and purpose. Freeport is legendary for several breeds in particular:

Shire Horses stand an average five and a half feet tall, weigh 1800-2200 lbs. and are capable of carrying massive weight for extended durations. One of the largest horse breeds ever known, the Shire horse can reach heights over 6 feet tall making it a fierce and powerful companion.

Friesian Horses are medium sized, standing an average 5 feet tall and weighing 1300-1600 lbs. They are athletic, versatile and exceptionally good-natured. The Friesian is NOT prone to bolting, making it a perfectly balanced war horse.

Akhal Horses are smaller than the average horse, standing an around 5 feet tall and weighing 1000-1100 lbs.  They make up for their size in unparalleled speed and agility. The Akhal have a slightly metallic sheen and are overwhelmingly clever.

Celestial Horses are a balanced breed in both size and ability. Standing an average 5 feet tall and weighing 1100-1200 lbs. The Celestial is comfortable navigating changing terrain and is very fast in short bursts.

    Alfonz the stable master has been in charge of the horses for the past 40 years. He is a wizened old man who is often seen charging about screaming at the stable boy. Alfonz generally sleeps up in the hayloft directly above his prized beasts. Despite having a lovely home provided to him by the city, he opts to sleep with the animals, claiming that they "understand" him. The front door to the stable is a large wooden gate which swings freely both ways and is often creaking about, driven back and forth by the cool ocean breeze.

Example Shire Horse


Example Friesian Horse


Example Akhal Horse


Example Celestial Horse

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:02, Sat 14 June 2014.

Lynessa Crescent
 player, 32 posts
Sat 14 Jun 2014
at 02:05
Re: Freeport - Stables
Lynessa made her way up to the stables. She'd been here before, the City Guard occasionally made use of Alfonz's steeds. She wondered if the old stable master would recognize her. The wooden doors creaked noisily in the night as they caught the ocean breeze. The sound was haunting, and sent a chill down Lynessa's spine. If not for the occasional whinny from within the stables, she might have thought the place abandoned.

She held herself as she stepped forward. The night was starting to get chilly, as it was wont to do this early in the spring. She would be glad for the shelter from the wind once inside. “Well, here we are. I suppose we should go inside and see if we've missed the stable-master,” she said to any of her companions who had followed.  “Master Alfonz,” she called out, knocking on the gate as she pushed it open and stepped inside.
Alfonz
 NPC, 1 post
Sat 14 Jun 2014
at 02:38
Re: Freeport - Stables
    A loud groan issued forth from inside the stables and a light flickered and drew nearer. The hunched form of an old man dressed in a simple cotton tunic and pant slowly emerged from the shadows. "Ehhhhhhhh? what's all this racket at such a time?" Keen mischievous eyes glimmered from behind thick bushy eyebrows and despite his many years the stable master had as much gusto as a lad a third his age. "Ye better be sent by the goddess erself or I've alf a mind to set Myrtle on ye!"

    Upon noticing the visitor was a young female guard, Alfonz's glare shifted to a wide toothy grin. "Why if it isn't the young Crescent girl!" he glanced behind her and saw others trailing along. "Looks like ye brought a pack o misfits with ye..." He shifted back and forth while resting on a gnarled cane, "Well what brings ye here at such an hour missy? I knew yer father before the whole..." his voice drifted off, "Nevermind that, what can ole Alfonz do ye fer?" An old shepherd dog came trotting up behind him and promptly nuzzled Lynessa's leg, round saucer eyes looked up lovingly and an overly wet tongue wagged about happily. "Oi! Myrtle! what do ye think yer doin!" The old man reached within his tunic and withdrew a small treat. The dog wheeled about and sat obediently at his masters feet. "She be as brash as a red bellied newt chasin a mayfly!"
Lucinda Eravyn
 player, 96 posts
 Elf
 Alchemist
Sat 14 Jun 2014
at 03:23
Re: Freeport - Stables
Lucinda took a few deep breaths to calm herself down as she wandered into the stables. She just had to think about it logically. That girl had just met her, and there was no way Lucinda was pretty enough for love at first sight. It was probably just some fish-kin habit, like a greeting or something. Yeah. That must've been it. It was the only logical explanation after all. It seemed to calm her down as she leaned against the stable wall, glancing at Lalita occasionally to confirm nothing was up.

Then, suddenly, like an electrical cable snapping, a thought bolted into Lucinda's mind. A terrifying one. Something she hadn't considered. Something that could ruin this journey from the outset. Something that would probably make sure everyone thought she was stupid and useless, a fact they would probably be right about. She had forgotten that she had never seen nor rode a horse before! M-maybe someone could help her? O-or they'd just make fun of her and leave her behind...She looked around awkwardly. She probably shouldn't mention anything yet.
Lalita Chandra
 player, 32 posts
Sat 14 Jun 2014
at 03:48
Re: Freeport - Stables
Lalita smiled as she entered the stables. She looked at the horses with bright wondering eyes. She had only ridden on a horse once, and that was a long time ago with otets. "Hopefully I still remember how to ride..." she thought to herself as she continued to glance at the four legged creatures. They were...exquisite. Such graceful creatures. She wondered...but there was no room to think, for all of a sudden the fish-kins thoughts were crowded with mysterious whispers. "O-oh no." She thought, raising her hands to cover her ears. However, she stopped midway as she realized to do so would cause attention to herself. She therefore quickly lowered them to her side and closing her eyes tried her best to just ignore the voices for now. Taking in a deep breath before opening her eyes once more.
Jerischo Elsinoir Addis
 player, 25 posts
 Will play music for Dosh.
 And Deeds 4 Cheap.
Sun 15 Jun 2014
at 21:23
Re: Freeport - Stables
The bard eyed the others, his mind clearly more focused on two trains of thought;  one about the horses, and one about the Fish-kin's last name.  Volkove.  He'd heard that before.  Where?  The dog being friendly with the younger Crescent didn't phase him- indeed, right now he didn't want to be disturbed.  While he wracked his mind on that name, he also half considered the horse conundrum, though he'd already narrowed his preferred breeds down to two,the Friesians and the Akhals.  Yes, he'd see which were available, and then choose based on the one that merged with his personality best.  Always better to have an extra partner who knew what you were thinking.  Now, that name. . .

"Volkove.  Oh gods." The words came unbidden, and quietly.  Oh, NOW he remembered.  He remembered well, and. . .that was a story for another day.  One FAR off in the future, removed from anything, locked away in a time-capsule and left for eternity.  Horses.  Yes, the horses.  They needed horses, they needed to leave the town now, on this "quest."  Sure, that was the important thing.  He could try and give himself selective amnesia of that name later.
Alfonz
 NPC, 2 posts
Sun 15 Jun 2014
at 23:37
Re: Freeport - Stables
    Alfonz watched as several others entered his precious stables; a shy looking elf, a fishy character and a boisterous flashy fellow all seemed interested in mounts. "Well ello there, don't be a stranger." Alfonz's voice was kind and reasuring, "So the lot of ye is a group? I had been told I might be visited by a party sent by the High Priestess erself." He inclined his head respectfully, "She's mighty strange, that one... always talking bout things what hasn't happened yet..."

    Alfonz looked at the fishy girl and the young elf, "Ye two look as green as a yew sapling in spring! If I may suggest, perhaps you might select a slightly... smaller horse?" He waved an arm officially around the stable, "I've got all me favorites available, in a multitude of coats!" He seemed quite proud of himself, and indeed he had a right. The horses of the Freeport stable were legendary across all of Linness. Rumor had it that Alfonz was the direct descendant of a long line of horse breeders from before the rending. "Now there is the matter of payment..." His eyes glimmered mischievously once again, and he seemed to be ringing his hands out in anticipation of the fortune he was about to make.
Lynessa Crescent
 player, 36 posts
Mon 16 Jun 2014
at 00:16
Re: Freeport - Stables
Lynessa experienced a moment of awkward silence as the old man touched on a sore spot, though was promptly brought back to the present by the sensation of the friendly dog nuzzling her leg. She placed a hand upon it's head and gave a quick scratch behind the ear. “Well met, Myrtle,” she greeted as the shepherd dog returned to her master's feet.

“I'm sorry about the lateness of the hour, Master Alfonz. We were sent by the High Priestess, I thought that we might see to our mounts before you turned in for the night. I apologize for disturbing your sleep.” She had already decided on her mount. Friesians had served her well in the past. She was looking forward to perusing Alfonz's selection.

“As for the payment, I thought that was already taken care of. The High Priestess gave us these...” she offered the stable master her voucher. “We each have one.” She glanced at Lucinda and Lalita. Alfonz would recognize inexperience around horses in a moment.

“Freeport breeds the finest horses in all of Linness, and Master Alfonz breeds the finest horses in all of Freeport,”
she told them, hoping she sounded reassuring.
Alfonz
 NPC, 3 posts
Mon 16 Jun 2014
at 01:23
Re: Freeport - Stables
    Alfonz stared at the young guard and a broad grin spread across his weathered face. "Of course ye do, I had me scribe do those up for the High Priestess erself!" He winked in a ridiculous manner, "I just be tuggin yer tabard love, so what kind of horse would please the young Crescent girl?" Alfonz hobbled into the darkness of the stable and could be heard grunting a bit, momentarily, a bright light burst forth as he lit the torches that lined the stable walls. Row after row of horse stalls lined the walls, each with a detailed plaque above its' entrance. Alfonz was slowly trudging back to the front gate, "Feel free to peruse about, those vouchers have been paid in full and ye can have any horse that catches yer fancy. The saddles are over there" he gestured to the side where a mountain of leather saddles had accumulated.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:24, Mon 16 June 2014.

Lalita Chandra
 player, 37 posts
Mon 16 Jun 2014
at 02:30
Re: Freeport - Stables
Lalita walked from one stall to the next, glancing at each horse while determining whether or not they were a good match for her. After a few moments of looking left and right one horse finally caught her eye, making the fish-kin come to a complete stop before turning so to get a better look at the creature. It was a celestial colt. Five ft tall, with dark grey spots freckled across it's white coat. "Almost as if somefish spattered paint all over it...Glub." She murmured while continuing to stare.

She looked into the horses eyes and giving it a small smile, gave him a small pat on the head. He was beautiful. Not in the same way as the other horses. Perhaps that is what drew her to the creature. In a way they were the same. Both different, both strange compared to others of their kind. "What is your name?" she whispered, closing her eyes as she listened closely to the whispers in her head. At last they sounded somewhat clear and as she opened her eyes she uttered two words, "Britt Hahnu..."

Suddenly, the colt lifted it's head to the girl's level and looked directly into her eyes. Lalita smiled. "It is a pleasure to meet you. My name is Lalita. Glub."

This message was last edited by the player at 19:17, Mon 16 June 2014.

Jada
 player, 38 posts
Mon 16 Jun 2014
at 02:47
Re: Freeport - Stables
Following quietly behind the others, Jada kept this thoughts to himself. He glanced down the streets alleys as they passed, but his mind was elsewhere. I said I would have faith in them, but do they actually know what they are doing? The time they would save by not needing to take watches would be more than they could reasonably travel at night. Then there is the time needed to find a spot to rest, to take care of the horses, then they'll probably want to setup tents, which will need to be packed in the morning. All so they can depart the safety of the city sooner. And they all think this plan is reasonable? Have they thought this through? Am I missing something? Are they all just over zealous in their desire to see this quest through? Hopefully their hastiness will exhaust itself before we reach the darkness..

His thoughts shifted to horses as they reached the stables, which he was surprised to discover that the stable master himself was attending. I wonder what it will be like to ride on a horse. Are they going to come with feed? How much does it cost to feed it? Ugh this is going to be troublesome isn't it.

From the rear of the group, Jada silently listened to the conversation while his eyes roamed the scene before him. He noticed Lalita's movements, but thought nothing of them until the bard muttered her name. He didn't sound pleased.. worried maybe? When nothing developed from it and Lalita went over to talk to the horse, Jada made a mental note and moved on. Waiting politely for a good moment, he addressed the stable master. "Master Alfonz, I am afraid I know nothing of horses. Could you lend me your expertise in selecting one?"

This message was last edited by the player at 15:45, Mon 16 June 2014.

Jerischo Elsinoir Addis
 player, 27 posts
 Will play music for Dosh.
 And Deeds 4 Cheap.
Mon 16 Jun 2014
at 03:14
Re: Freeport - Stables
Trying his damnedest to focus on horses and not that last name, Jerischo redoubled his not-inconsiderable experience to finding the breeds he desired.  He seemed almost preternaturally focused, pulling out an apple, slicing it quickly, and offering a piece to each and every horse that caught his eye.  All of them were Friesians and Akhals.  He coughed, suddenly popping out of his little stealth mode, before spending more time simply staring and holding a hand to each of the equines he'd picked.
Alfonz
 NPC, 4 posts
Mon 16 Jun 2014
at 07:10
Re: Freeport - Stables
    Alfonz started momentarily when the large beast-kin spoke directly to him, but quickly recovered. "Oi! aren't ye a big feller, lets see..." He crooked his head in thought and with a sudden movement snapped about, "I know the perfect lady for ye lad!" The old man hobbled over to a stall not far from the main entrance. He emerged momentarily with a Chestnut Shire, she was a massive animal and towered comedically over Alfonz. He led the beautiful creature over to the strange beast-kin and she immediately responded by nosing the stranger and nibbled gently on this hair. "Ahhh she's a right beauty this one, I always called er Blanche but ye can name er as ye wish. She's one of me biggest animals and a right clever one if ye ask me." Alfonz patted the horses haunch tenderly, "always a bit sad to see me favorites go, but ye look the kind of man who takes care of his own. If ye like the look of er hand me over yer voucher and fetch a large saddle over yonder."
Jerischo Elsinoir Addis
 player, 29 posts
 Will play music for Dosh.
 And Deeds 4 Cheap.
Mon 16 Jun 2014
at 08:27
Re: Freeport - Stables
"Alfonz, was it?"  The voice was that of the young man, hereto quiet.  His steps brought him a bit closer, though he preferred to stay near his candidates. "Might I be so bold as request your help?  I've narrowed down the choices to the Friesians and the Akhals.  However, I can't seem to get a good reading on any of them without time with each.  Time I don't think the others feel we have.  So. . ."  The request was clear;  Jerischo wanted the personalities of each, their temperaments, and their ticks.  What an odd bard.
Lucinda Eravyn
 player, 108 posts
 Elf
 Alchemist
Mon 16 Jun 2014
at 11:59
Re: Freeport - Stables
Luckily, Lucinda had read a book on horse breeding once thanks to her parents experiments with creating stronger mounts through alchemy. She knew, physically at least, some of the more favorable traits on a horse. She tried to look for a few ones that were excellent physical specimens. Then she realized she knew absolutely nothing about their behaviors, which were, according to her parents anyway, quite important. After all, one of the serums they concocted worked excellent in a physical manner, boosting strength and speed output by a fine margin, but was scrapped regardless due to its tendency to make the horses rather perceptively insane. She had to make sure she took a good horse, but had no idea where to start. She figured she should get help, and hung her head in shame at not knowing something. "U-um...h-how about a horse...er....for beginners?" She asked meekly.
Jada
 player, 41 posts
Mon 16 Jun 2014
at 16:08
Re: Freeport - Stables
Jada gave a lighthearted laugh at the horse's attention. "Hey I'm not food." He said with a smile as he brushed his hair away from her nibbling. Discovering that the horse didn't mind him was a welcome respite from the typical reaction. Holding out his hand, he let the horse smell it. "I think Blanche is a fine name. I'll be sure to take good care of her." He replied as he handed his voucher over and went to fetch a saddle.
Lynessa Crescent
 player, 41 posts
Mon 16 Jun 2014
at 18:38
Re: Freeport - Stables
“A Friesian,” Lynessa replied as the darkness shrank away from the sudden light. She blinked a few times while her eyes adjusted. Requests for the stable master's were coming in from all sides, and while Lynessa was hardly an expert on horses she felt confident enough to select a mount without the stable master's aid, freeing him up to help her companions instead.

She made her way down the isles slowly, pausing a moment to watch Lalita's strange behavior. ”It's almost like she thinks she's actually have a conversation with the animal. How silly,” she thought. Eventually, she came to a stall housing a proud looking horse with a light, almost butter-colored coat. “Hello, there...” she greeted, and the horse's ears poked up and leaned in toward her slightly. That was a good sign.

She approached the horse and slipped her hand, palm up, under the horse's mouth. After it had gotten her scent, she reached up and gently stroked its neck. “I think I've found my mount,” she said to no one in particular. With her voucher already in Alfonz's possession, she made her way over to the saddles to collect one.
Alfonz
 NPC, 5 posts
Mon 16 Jun 2014
at 19:24
Re: Freeport - Stables
    Alfonz looked about as different members of the group asked him questions, "Oi! strange man who asn't introduced himself or even so much as said hello, can't make yer mind up between a Friesian or an Akhal ehhhh?" Alfonz tapped his gnarled cane and cocked his head in a quizzical manner. "I will tell ye, fer one so clever as yerself ye should go with an Akhal. Ye won't find their match in wits and cunning... and ye know the saying... birds o the feather..." His voice diminished into sputtered mumblings, "Fergot the rest but ye get my point."

    Turning to the young elf girl Alfonz chuckled, "Such a wee tiny thing ain't ye? A little lady such as yerself needs a gentle horse that won't buck ye off." He ambled over to a stall a fair distance away and moments later returned with a jet black Friesian in tow. The horse whinnied and tossed its long mane about elegantly. "This ere is Benjamin, although I just calls em Benji." Alfonz guided the beautiful animal towards the shy elf girl. "Don't be afraid missy, Benji here is as sweet as a honeysuckle blossom."

    Alfonz received the voucher from the tall beast-kin, "Oi! I hope you do take care of er, she's one of me favorites... but I already said that didn't I..." He grumbled something inaudible about getting old and looked about the stable as the rest of the group milled about.
Lalita Chandra
 player, 39 posts
Mon 16 Jun 2014
at 19:33
Re: Freeport - Stables
Pleased with the horse she picked, Lalita quickly went up to the stables master and presented to him her voucher. "Sir Alfonz, my name is Lalita. It is a pleasure to meet you. I believe I have chosen my mount." She announced, pointing to the spotted grey horse behind her. "He is shrimply wonderful! May i ask for his name? I promise to take good care of him! Glub."

This message was last edited by the player at 22:01, Mon 16 June 2014.

Alfonz
 NPC, 6 posts
Mon 16 Jun 2014
at 21:17
Re: Freeport - Stables
    Alfonz tilted his head to the young lady as she spoke to him, "Well met Lalita, I see ye have chosen well." He drifted over to the horse that was standing dutifully behind the beast-kin. "His name ye say?" Alfonz's eyes twinkled with the familiar mischievous glimmer, "Something tells me ye already know more bout him then ye let on. He's a special horse this one, got a personality that shines brighter than the sun on a summer day. I calls him Apollo. He will serve ye well and loyal, young fishy." Alfonz took the voucher from Lalita and stowed it away with the others in his back pocket. "Go get yerself a saddle young lady."
Lalita Chandra
 player, 42 posts
Mon 16 Jun 2014
at 22:42
Re: Freeport - Stables
Lalita thanked the stables master and quickly rushed off to collect a saddle. Poking swordfish on the way as she rushed passed her. "I'm so glubbin excited!!!" she thought to herself as she picked up a random saddle, not caring which one she grabbed. She looked back at her new partner Apollo, who was looking her way. Indeed. This was going to be fintastic!

This message was last edited by the player at 23:24, Mon 16 June 2014.

Lucinda Eravyn
 player, 110 posts
 Elf
 Alchemist
Tue 17 Jun 2014
at 00:23
Re: Freeport - Stables
Lucinda nodded at the man's wisdom. He probably knew about this far better than her after all. Horse selection was hardly something she was an expert in. She gulped as she approached the horse rather timidly. It was so....big. Far bigger than her. Bigger than her parents. It was even bigger than most of her machines back at the lab! And it was alive and moving like that...it was more than a little unnerving. She decided to try and pet it on the nose, flinching as she did it.
Alfonz
 NPC, 7 posts
Tue 17 Jun 2014
at 00:34
Re: Freeport - Stables
    Alfonz watched with a wide smile that cracked his leather face; the elf girl seemed terrified of the animal. Benji, the horse, obviously loved the attention that the girl was giving him. He pranced in place ever so slightly and licked her arm enthusiastically. "Oi! I do believe he likes ye!" exclaimed Alfonz and his smile quickly turned into a laugh as he saw the look of fear and confusion written across the girls face. "Give it time dear and ye will become more comfortable with him. A horse is like a brand new pair of shoes, at first the leather is hard and unforgiving but with time they become as soft and supple as a second skin." He nodded in agreement with himself and patted Myrtle lovingly on the head.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:25, Tue 17 June 2014.

Lynessa Crescent
 player, 43 posts
Tue 17 Jun 2014
at 01:30
Re: Freeport - Stables
While she looked over the saddles in search of one that seemed to suit her, Lynessa felt a sudden poke against her shoulder. “Hm?” she looked up just in time to see the fish-kin rush past her. It didn't take much to put two and two together; in their short time together it was obvious that Lalita was as playful and mischievous as a child. “You should be wary of where you put your fingers. You never can tell what might decide to keep them,” she teased. She nodded at the saddle Lalita had selected, quite hastily. “You'll want to be sure you find one designed for a woman, otherwise you'll find yourself very uncomfortable at the end of a long ride,” she advised.

Lynessa found a saddle that was to her liking and hefted it onto her shoulder. She carried it across the stables to her mount's stall, stopping briefly to admire Lucinda's horse. “You can't go wrong with a Friesian, Lucinda,” she said. Obviously, she was a bit partial when it came to horse breeds.

“Master Alfonz, can you tell me this one's name,” she asked, indicating the horse she had taken a shine to with a quick nod of her head.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:52, Tue 17 June 2014.

Alfonz
 NPC, 8 posts
Tue 17 Jun 2014
at 01:45
Re: Freeport - Stables
    Alfonz walked over to the stall where Lynessa was saddling her chosen horse. "Ahhh yes young lady, now he is a rare horse indeed. Friesian horses don't usually have coats like em, mostly they are black or sometimes a chestnut brown. He is called a cream coat, and they are truly a rarity." Alfonz reached up and fed the horse a carrot which he had produced from within his tunic, "Jasper is his name." The horses ears perked up at the mention of his name and he opened his mouth in what looked like a big toothy grin. Alfonz chuckled, "He's a smart one, knows we is talking bout em."
Lucinda Eravyn
 player, 112 posts
 Elf
 Alchemist
Tue 17 Jun 2014
at 02:03
Re: Freeport - Stables
She smiled awkwardly as the beast slobbered all over her hands. She recognized that it was probably a gesture of encouragement, but nevertheless it still seemed gross to the girl. It probably shouldn't have, given some of the rather wild and lively substances she had gotten on her hands in the past. The displacer blood was especially bizarre, it seemed to...she suddenly realized that she was merely standing there thinking for a few moments rather than reacting to the horse or the man. She shook her head to try to scatter her distraction. "S-s-sorry! Sh-she's a very good horse sir! Th-thank you!" She said bowing a few too many times. "B-benji right? I-I'll take care of her!" She ran over and handed him the voucher before stepping back and taking a deep breath.
Jada
 player, 43 posts
Tue 17 Jun 2014
at 03:12
Re: Freeport - Stables
Returning with a large saddle, Jada waited by Blanche until he could grab the stable master's attention once more. "Could you show me how to fit this probably, I don't want to cause problems for Blanche. I'll be able to do it on my own once I watch a master do it." He said with a smile, before clearly remembering he had forgotten something. "Haha, you'll have to forgive me. It's been quite sometime since people decided to be civil with me and I seem to have fallen out of practice. I am Jada from the Tranquil Key. It is a pleasure to meet you. Thank you for your help." He said with smile and offered his hand to shake.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:56, Tue 17 June 2014.

Alfonz
 NPC, 9 posts
Tue 17 Jun 2014
at 03:28
Re: Freeport - Stables
    Alfonz smiled at the beast-kin, "Why sure, strong Jada, it's actually quite easy when ye know what yer doing... like most things hehehehe." The old man dragged a step stool over to the massive horse and with remarkable ease ascended to the top. "If ye would be so kind Jada please toss that saddle up with the pommel facing forward." Jada hoisted the saddle up onto the horses back with ease, "Well done, well done... It's quite easy with this style of saddle, ye simply take that strap that ye see dangling beneath called a cinch and bring it up about the horses midsection. It attaches here at the side and ye can adjust it to be nice and snug." The old man nimbly grasped the cinch and brought it up around the horse. "There is no need to make it incredibly tight, ye don't want to choke the life out yer horse. Also, it's not a must but if ye have a blanket ye can put that down beneath the saddle and it will help make everybody a bit more comfy." Alfonz descended the step stool and waved his hands in a ridiculous manner of presentation. "Ye will be a professional momentarily!" he said encouragingly.

    The young elf girl ran forward and handed Alfonz her voucher, he spoke to her in a friendly tone. "Thanks young lady, don't be afraid, all will work out well. Ye just keep yer horse close by, ye never know, he might save yer hide one day."

This message was last edited by the player at 03:30, Tue 17 June 2014.

Lalita Chandra
 player, 46 posts
Tue 17 Jun 2014
at 03:40
Re: Freeport - Stables
Lalita laughed at swordfish's response. "I'll be shore to keep that in mind." she giggled as she looked at the saddle in her hands to make sure it was for a women. Luckily it was. "Perfect!" she chirped as she hurried back to Apollo. The fish-kin then stopped to think about how to put the saddle on the horse. "Whale..." she started to mutter to herself. "Lets sea if this works.."

She went slightly up on the front of her feet and raising the saddle over her head placed it over the colt. "Ah! Just like a glove! Glub." she said, proud of herself. She noticed straps hanging on both sides of the horse. Obviously this was to keep the saddle in place and not fall off. She slightly bent her knee's and grabbing a hold of both straps, fastened them around the mid section of her steed. "Alright guppy!" she said, looking up into the horses eyes. "We did it~"
Jerischo Elsinoir Addis
 player, 30 posts
 Will play music for Dosh.
 And Deeds 4 Cheap.
Tue 17 Jun 2014
at 21:19
Re: Freeport - Stables
Hm hm.  Clever one?  Well, Alfonz was right on that.  The bard smiled, and pet the Akhal.  And yes, of course he remembered the expression;  he knew it well.  He'd heard it as the rationale used in his youth, he'd heard it when  people wouldn't want to do things.  It was a cliche, and a practiced one.  But in this case. . .  "I'll take this one, if I may.  And my name is Jerischo, Alfonz." He said.  He went for his own saddle, having somewhat more experience than most of the others in the horse department.  As for a name. . .Well, let's find out what the original name was.
Lynessa Crescent
 player, 47 posts
Wed 18 Jun 2014
at 02:01
Re: Freeport - Stables
Lynessa watched Lalita for a few moments to make sure she didn't need any help, and found herself a little surprised when the fish-kin managed to saddle her horse without any trouble. She had been expecting Lalita to need help, after all... who ever heard of a fish riding a horse?

She carried the saddle into the stall of her own horse and set the leather seat on Jasper's back. She patted his neck. “It's alright, Jasper. I'm just going to cinch this around you, like so...” she said as she fastened the straps around the mid-section of her steed. “That isn't so bad, right? Not too heavy, not too tight. And it'll make us both a lot more comfortable later on.”
Lucinda Eravyn
 player, 117 posts
 Elf
 Alchemist
Wed 18 Jun 2014
at 02:32
Re: Freeport - Stables
She nodded timidly before looking at the horse awkwardly. How was she supposed to get up there? Did she have to use a potion that would make her a better jumper? She had already made one of those...it was a bit difficult getting the frog blood to react just right with the aqua regia. But somehow she doubted people imbibed experimental elixirs every time they wanted to ride a horse. There had to be another way. She put her arms on the steed and tried to pull herself up, probably to no avail.
Jada
 player, 47 posts
Wed 18 Jun 2014
at 23:58
Re: Freeport - Stables
"Thank you, Master Alfonz." Jada said with a smile as he looked over the straps and saddle. Petting his horse's neck he looked around to see how his companions were doing. Lalita was doing fine, the Lynessa had things handled, and the other men seemed to be busy picking. However Lucinda seemed to be lost, staring at her horse without a saddle. Remembering the girl's reaction earlier, he considered letting someone else help her. In the end, he decided that offering help was the correct action, even if she was likely to refuse it.

Leaving his horse be for the moment, Jada made his way over the elf. "Do you need help with the saddle?" He asked, fully expecting to be shunned.
Lucinda Eravyn
 player, 124 posts
 Elf
 Alchemist
Thu 19 Jun 2014
at 01:17
Re: Freeport - Stables
She shuddered and turned around. H-he was almost as big as the horse! She had to stay calm! She had to stay calm! She gulped loudly. How was she supposed to deal with a guy this big! H-he was nothing like every man she had ever met before! Wh-what was she supposed to do! H-he was saying something about a saddle..did he want hers maybe? She had no idea! She elected to just nod and stand away from the horse. There was nothing she could do about the situation after all. If he wanted to take it he could.
Alfonz
 NPC, 10 posts
Thu 19 Jun 2014
at 02:37
Re: Freeport - Stables
    Alfonz watched with poorly suppressed laughter as the large beast-kin attempted to help the young elf girl. He turned towards Jerischo and looked at the Akhal he had chosen. "Ahh yes... that be Comet! He's a beauty, and as fast as he is smart. I think ye chose proper well young man." Alfonz tottered over to the horse and his new master and handed Jerischo a carrot. "Feed em this and he will warm up to ye. Bein so smart, he might take some convincing that ye be a proper master. I happens to know Comet here loves a good tune and ye seem like the kinda feller that might know a dandy ballad or two." Alfonz wobbled back to the side of the stable and sat down in a chair; he stretched out his legs and emitted a loud and ridiculous yawn.

1st day of the 2nd month: 11:30 PM.

Jada
 player, 51 posts
Thu 19 Jun 2014
at 02:38
Re: Freeport - Stables
Jada looked concerned as he watched Lucinda quietly panic. I hope she doesn't freeze up in a fight.. Maybe she is just tired; it is late. When she nodded he seemed surprised, pausing a moment before turning to go retrieve a saddle from the pile.

He moved several out of the way before he found one that looked like it would suit the smaller girl and her smaller horse. Returning he let the horse smell his hand and pet its neck a little before placing the saddle on its back. Like he had seen Alfonz do earlier, he secured the saddle's straps before stepping back. "There you go. I think that is right." He said, before seeming to remember something. Looking around once, he called over to the stable master. "Master Alfonz, where can I find the head rope.. things?"

This message was last edited by the player at 02:39, Thu 19 June 2014.

Alfonz
 NPC, 11 posts
Thu 19 Jun 2014
at 02:44
Re: Freeport - Stables
    Alfonz pointed to the wall alongside the large entryway, "Bridles are aplenty over there." The wall was completely covered in the leather straps used to control the horse. "I don't use bits in me horses mouths and I would appreciate if ye did the same, they are all trained to use the bit free bridle. It be a simple harness ye slip over their heads."
Lalita Chandra
 player, 53 posts
Thu 19 Jun 2014
at 02:46
Re: Freeport - Stables
Overhearing the stables master and Jada, Lalita suddenly perked her head up from Apollo's stare. Bridle? Glub." she repeated questioningly. "What's that? Glub."

This message was last edited by the player at 02:47, Thu 19 June 2014.

Alfonz
 NPC, 12 posts
Thu 19 Jun 2014
at 02:55
Re: Freeport - Stables
    Alfonz mustered his remaining strength and teetered over to the wall of bridles. He removed a set of leather straps and wobbled over to the fishy girl. "Everybody watch and pay attention." He snapped his finger and the horse obediently lowered it's head for the short stable master. Alfonz carefully positioned the bridle so it would slide over the horses head and gently tightened the straps in place. "It can only go on one way, so ye will be right glubbered (he spoke the word and winked at the fishy) to screw it up. After it's slid into place ye can take these here leather straps to guide the horse in the direction that ye pull."
Lucinda Eravyn
 player, 127 posts
 Elf
 Alchemist
Thu 19 Jun 2014
at 18:03
Re: Freeport - Stables
Lucinda silently stared at the man giving the demonstration. Putting on the saddle actually didn't look that hard! After all, she had copied much more complicated procedures by watching her parents in the past. Watching the stablemaster at work actually, if surprisingly, allowed Lucinda to ignore her fear of the hulking man-beast next to her. She quietly started attaching the saddle, making sure to put the loops through exactly the way he did. She somehow doubted that not doing it exactly the way the instructor did would lead to an explosion like it did with her alchemy, but she was paid just as much attention and care. "Th-there we go Benji...good girl..." She said quietly.
Lalita Chandra
 player, 57 posts
Thu 19 Jun 2014
at 19:12
Re: Freeport - Stables
Lalita codn't kelp but giggle at the stables masters attempt at her speech. She gave him a smile and looking back up at Apollo, pet the creature on his neck. She then took a moment to glance over at the rest of her comrades. Gah, she was so excited! She codn't wait to get to know each and everyone of them and who knows? Perhaps they would even become fronds! Though she didn't want to jump the reel there. Still. They seemed nice enough. Leaving the horse's side for just a second, she walks over to the wall where all the bridles are and takes two that look similar to the one Afronz picked up. She then goes over to Jada and Lucinda and giving them a small smiles, hands them the leather straps, glubbing, "Here you go, guppies~ Glub."

This message was last edited by the player at 19:19, Thu 19 June 2014.

Devi McCain
 player, 79 posts
 Human
 Caster
Fri 19 Sep 2014
at 18:56
Re: Freeport - Stables
Devi stood in the back just beside the entrance watching the others choose their horses or have them chosen for them, she noted the choices made and the trouble some of them had saddling their steeds on their own, though they took help readily enough. In the end she spent most of her time watching the fishgirl, Lalita, she had felt the pull since she had entered the stables, it almost felt as if one was dragging away the air as one tried to breathe it.

She had watched intently, ignoring her own choice of horse in the process of her studying. She wasn't sure what it was that Lalita was doing, but she recognized it, the energy was being pulled to Lalita as it was to herself when she practiced. The tension built as she moved about choosing her own animal to ride, it was as she was dealing with the mount that the tension in the air peaked, she was staring in its eyes that Devi felt the release of tension she was all too familiar with. Lalita had spoken softly to the horse and it had acknowledged her, was that it then? Was she a whisperer? Devi's uncle had spoken of them, those that could speak to animals and bring bonds with even the wildest of them with no fear, when she was younger she had dismissed them until her own magic had made its self-known. It was only then that she had considered that those wives tails had possibly been true, and here it seemed was one with them on their journey. There were always animals around, even in the center of a city or cave, so it would prove to be useful down the road, that power of Lalita's.

It was only then that she moved, staff clanking softly as she strode into the back of the stable the light clanking of her staff marking her progress, she disappeared for several moments with silence. She knew enough about horses and riding them to pick one that fit her well enough in personality and size, she stopped finally at a stall and looked at the horse in it, it was tall, sixteen-two with a short, sturdy back and lots of bone with good width and depth of chest to take up her legs, and a long enough thoracic section of back to allow for larger seat size to accommodate her. While others might be put off by the coarse look about him, that didn't bother Devi in the least, sliding a bit of the apple she had eaten part of for dinner she offered it to the horse before rubbed it's neck softly talking to it a moment, it was nonsensical things she said, but it was tone of voice, quiet and caring that mattered most. Satisfied that she and the horse would get along she took him from his stall and back to the front of the stable. She would take only a moment to choose a saddle, one right for her size before setting it down beside the horse, she rubbed the horses neck again as she dropped her pack and produced a blanket that she unrolled and tossed up on the horses back, she would take her time adjusting it so as not to pinch or bunch up anywhere before she would throw his saddle up and onto the horses back with a grunt in her exertion. Cinching bending nearly in half she cinched up the horse before grunting quietly to himself once more and nodding, she once again spoke softly to her horse and rubbed it behind it's ears a moment before moving to get her own bridle, she preferred the bit herself, but if the horses had been trained without it then introducing one now would only cause trouble. She set slide it on her horse, still talking quietly and calmly to the animal, she wrapped the reins around the pommel of the saddle with plenty of looseness in them so as not to cause the horse to start moving one way or another and padded it's neck once more before turning to the stable master, "What's the name?" she asked simply as she lifted her pack to her shoulders to ready herself for travel once more.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:56, Fri 19 Sept 2014.

Alfonz
 NPC, 13 posts
Fri 20 Jun 2014
at 19:55
Re: Freeport - Stables
    Alfonz gazed at the large black shire, "That giant is Obe, short for Obsidian. He's tough as nails, that one." The old stable master waited expectantly by the tall woman his wrinkled hand outstretched. "I figures once yer debt be settled ye will be on yer way?"

This message was last edited by the player at 23:48, Wed 02 July 2014.

Devi McCain
 player, 79 posts
 Human
 Caster
Fri 19 Sep 2014
at 18:56
Re: Freeport - Stables
Devi nodded at the man's name for the horse. She supposed it made sense, and to hear he was a tough one was reassuring. She looked at the old man's hand for a moment before she produced the voucher from a pouch and set it in his out stretched hand, "Yes." she said simply as she turned back and took up the mounts reins from the pommel, she did not know if the others had settled on it, but she did not wish to let those that lived in the city have another night to mull over going, it would only make the journey harder on them, especially the timid little elf girl who seemed to even be wary of her own mount. She strode on, reins kept short leading Obsidian towards the exit of the stable and the city that lay beyond it.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:56, Fri 19 Sept 2014.

Lynessa Crescent
 player, 63 posts
Sat 21 Jun 2014
at 02:50
Re: Freeport - Stables
Once Jasper was saddled and bridled, Lynessa led him from his stall. When she passed by Lucinda, she managed to catch what the elven girl had mumbled under her breath. “Lucinda, your horse is a male,” she corrected softly. “You can tell because he has a pe... er... boy parts...”

She looked around to see if any of her companions looked like they needed immediate help. “I think we've got everything. Thank you for your time, Master Alfonz. I'm sorry again about the lateness of the hour.” She offered the aged man a respectful salute, before leading Jasper toward the stable's exit...
Alfonz
 NPC, 14 posts
Sat 21 Jun 2014
at 02:55
Re: Freeport - Stables
    Alfonz bowed deeply to the tall woman of so few words. "Why thank ye kind miss." The stable master flashed a brilliant smile and his eyes glimmered with pride. "Ye lot are a bloody fine group. Ole Alfonz knows a thing or two bouts the quality of folk, and these days ye be few and far between. Whatever befalls ye on yer journey, remember that the lad or lass riding along side ye be yer only ally." He looked at each of them in turn and gave a nod of agreement, "Yep, ye lot are gonna do jus fine. Unless ye got any further questions me bed is crying out fer me bones."

This message was last edited by the player at 23:48, Wed 02 July 2014.

Lucinda Eravyn
 player, 132 posts
 Elf
 Alchemist
Sat 21 Jun 2014
at 04:05
Re: Freeport - Stables
Lucinda tilted her head in confusion at the girl's words. And then blushed after looking down at the bottom of the horse for a moment. He was...certainly male. Quite certainly. She shook her head to try to get the rather gross image out of her mind. Luckily, the girl had seen enough disgusting concoctions that a mere giant phallus was quite easy to banish from her mind. She then noticed that it was time for the man to go to leave and go to bed. She remembered from her wild expeditions to the alchemical ingredients shop that this meant it was the perfect time to say thank you. She bowed slightly. "Th-thank you very much...s-sir." She said timidly before turning back to her horse.

She then tapped her chin for a moment. She was forgetting something, something quite important she was sure. But what was it? It clearly had nothing to do with most of her traditional potion making, since she wasn't at home. Maybe it was.... "OH!"She said quite loudly. "I-I almost forgot!" She started fishing through her bag for a moment until she pulled out a vial. "I-I have to do this every day...." She muttered half to herself and half to everyone. She put the bottle to her lips and took a tiny sip of it before sighing.
Lalita Chandra
 player, 69 posts
Sat 21 Jun 2014
at 04:11
Re: Freeport - Stables
Lalita bowed her head slightly to the stables master. "Thank you for everywave! Sleep well. Glub." Her attention was then diverted towards the elven girl as she cried to have forgotten something. Her head tilting to the side as Lucinda digged out a small bottle and took a sip from some kind of liquid. "What's that? Glub." she asked curiously. The fish-kin was still holding out the bridles for her two comrades.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:26, Sat 21 June 2014.

Lucinda Eravyn
 player, 133 posts
 Elf
 Alchemist
Sat 21 Jun 2014
at 04:16
Re: Freeport - Stables
"H-huh? This? Well, er, um..." She was trying to figure out the best way to put it. She remembered the stories that she read so many times. In those stories, whenever Escha or Rorona or any of her heroines talked to someone, they had a smile on their face and cheer in their voice. And right now, it seemed like Lucinda was about to be a hero herself! So she supposed she had to do the same. She smiled somewhat widely. "Oh, mother and father made that for me! I have to drink it every day or I'll die!" She said cheerily and excitedly. Well, as cheerily and excitedly as a mousy girl like Lucinda could be anyway.
Lalita Chandra
 player, 70 posts
Sat 21 Jun 2014
at 04:22
Re: Freeport - Stables
In reply to Lucinda Eravyn (msg # 49):

"O-oh...." Lalita replied, her smile suddenly gone. Needless to say, that was not the responce she expected. There was a look of concern in her eyes. Would the elven girl be ok? Whale...as long as she took her liquid she guessed. Still...it was a bit unsettling to see Lucinda smiling so happily over such a scary sentence. She tried to bring back her bright smile, but for some reason the corners of her mouth wouldn't budge. Perhaps she should glub somefin, but what? Thinking aboat what to glub, Lalita hands Jada and Lucinda the bridles. Finally they were out of her fins!

This message was last edited by the player at 04:42, Sat 21 June 2014.

Jada
 player, 55 posts
Sat 21 Jun 2014
at 04:50
Re: Freeport - Stables
As the elf started fussing with the saddle, Jada stood silently to the side. After a while he realized that she was intent on ignoring him. Arms crossed he watched the stable master fit the bridle and was about to fetch one for himself when Lalita came over with two.

Accepting the bridle, Jada gave her a short thanks and a smile before turning to Lucinda. "You're welcome." he said flatly. Not caring for the details of strange smelling liquid she was drinking, he returned to his horse and began fitting the bridle to her.

Once the rest of the horse's gear was in place, Jada let her to the exit of the stables. "Have a good night, Master Alfonz." he said before leading Blanche out into the cold night.
Jerischo Elsinoir Addis
 player, 33 posts
 Will play music for Dosh.
 And Deeds 4 Cheap.
Sun 22 Jun 2014
at 01:58
Re: Freeport - Stables
Comet.  The name didn't quite fit his tastes, but changing a horse's name, especially for one as smart as the Akhal, once it was fully grown and acclimated to the old name was just asking for disaster.  Nor was it fair to the animal.  He liked this horse;  the colors, the grey and the red dappling. . .he pet the horse, and spoke gently.  "Well handsome, I'll get you saddled up, and we'll see about matching the other's pace, okay?  Won't be much a challenge for you, but. . ."

He handed his ticket to the tired old man, and smiled at him.  Everyone else was thanking and apologizing to him, and so the Bard did the same.  "Thank for everything, Master Alfonz.  Your choice was perfect, and I hope you can sleep well for the rest of the night."
Lynessa Crescent
 player, 65 posts
Mon 23 Jun 2014
at 01:43
Re: Freeport - Stables
Lynessa's head snapped back toward Lucinda. Well... that was certainly a loaded statement. And made with so much inappropriate gusto that, given Lucinda's other social miss-steps (like approaching an important figure like the High Priestess with a strange potion), she was beginning to wonder if the elven girl weren't some alchemical construct rather than a real person. ”That's just silly though, isn't it?”

“Lucinda... that sounds pretty serious,” she said. She pictured the vial in her mind's eye. It seemed like an awfully fragile thing standing between Lucinda's life and her death. What if it were broken on the road? It might fall and break, or Lucinda might roll-over on it in her sleep. “Can you make more on your own? Just in case something happens to your vial?”
Lucinda Eravyn
 player, 135 posts
 Elf
 Alchemist
Mon 23 Jun 2014
at 02:59
Re: Freeport - Stables
"H-huh?" She never really saw the situation as inconvenient. After all, her parents had helped her to get over it. "O-oh, um, yes...I-it's not too hard to make...a-and I-I only need a few drops a day." She tried to explain it as best she could, her timidity clashing against her attempts at cheerfulness. "I-It's not so bad! Really! I-I only need to do it for thirty more years! Th-then I don't have to drink it anymore." She said with a little bit of a smile on her face. It was only thirty years...not really that long of a time.
Lalita Chandra
 player, 75 posts
Mon 23 Jun 2014
at 03:06
Re: Freeport - Stables
"Whale...that's good at least...Glub." Lalita glubbed awkwardly. Thirty-years...to the guppy that seemed like a long time, but perhaps the sibject of time was different for elves. After all, they did live much longer than any other species.

She scratched the back of her head before deciding it was probably best she left this discussion as it laid. She gave Lucinda a small smile and placed a fin on the girl's shoulder, saying. "You seem to have it all figured out, so i won't worry. Just be careful, ok?" At the end of her sentence, the fish-kin turned around and returned to her horse. She grabbed a hold of the leather strap and petting the creatures neck, led him towards the gate along with everyone else.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:10, Mon 23 June 2014.

Lucinda Eravyn
 player, 136 posts
 Elf
 Alchemist
Mon 23 Jun 2014
at 12:14
Re: Freeport - Stables
She nods and silently grabs the horse, following the crowd towards the gate. She really hoped she would be alright as she stowed away the serum.