Denair - Ebonshade Headquarters.   Posted by TheDudeAbides.Group: 0
TheDudeAbides
 GM, 419 posts
Fri 18 Jul 2014
at 23:46
Denair - Ebonshade Headquarters
    The past 100 years had been a very confusing time for the inhabitants of Denair. The closing of the gate initially caused much confusion and panic. People rebelled and the government had to intercede in order to maintain peace. The reasons for the seclusion were kept tightly under wraps and only certain organizations were privy to the information. One such group is known as the Ebonshade. The headquarters of the Ebonshade is located in the basement of a nondescript tavern known as The Wilted Rose. A mere half-mile from the great gate, The Wilted Rose is known for it's cheap ale and even cheaper women.

    The entrance to the Ebonshade headquarters is through the pantry on the first floor. The trap door is guarded by a ferocious looking... cook? Deep below the bustling tavern, is a maze of tunnels which house the members of this strange organization. Talented youth are plucked from the streets at a very young age and are brought into the fold. They are trained in combat, and thanks to a few remaining tomes, they can receive some guidance on magic as well. Members of the organization take turns running the tavern above ground and are therefore able to justify their constant presence around the building. Despite having contact with the governing lords, the Ebonshade is not an officially recognized force within Denair. The old gods still have power in Denair, and members of the Ebonshade still commune with them. The coming darkness was prophesied 100 years ago to this day. The prophesy spoke of a group of heroes that would break the veil and once again reunite Linness with the rest of the forgotten world. The Ebonshade have trained long and arduously in preparation for this day, and now the gates shall open and they will spill forth into the world. Their prime directive: to ensure the survival of the people of Linness, at any cost.

    Recently, a message board with jobs has been posted in the cafeteria. The current leader of the Ebonshade, who is known as Commander Hamilton had delivered a rousing speech to the organization the previous day. He had explained that the jobs would take small teams out into Linness to perform various tasks. The rewards would be great and the danger even greater; people were excited, the prospect of leaving the city was thrilling. The tables throughout the cafeteria are laden with food and members of the organization are slowly filtering in for a midday lunch. A young man gestures to the new job board, "I guess old man Wutherby is handling assignments, ya just take the posting from the board and meet him at the administrative office down the hall and he will provide any additional information." The girl standing next to him nodded in appreciation,  "Thanks Johan, you are always so helpful!" She winked at him playfully and they sat down at a table littered with a multitude of fish.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:50, Thu 28 Aug 2014.

Hallam Swales
 player, 4 posts
Thu 28 Aug 2014
at 21:25
Re: Denair - Ebonshade Headquarters
     Hammal stumbled bleary-eyed into the cafeteria, having been woken from a nap by the thunderous footsteps echoing throughout the labyrinthine network of tunnels that he had come to think of as home, which from experience meant that there was either about to be a raid, or a meal was being served. Having ruled out the former by the distinct lack of screaming, Hammal slowly made his way towards a table, grabbing a plate of... something, and then sitting in the nearest empty chair. He then began to absentmindedly nibble at whatever was on his plate while staring blankly at the new message board.

     As he ate, Hammal began to slowly piece together the board's purpose through overhearing snippets of conversation around him, until he could formulate a concept so simple that even his sleep addled mind could handle. First, grab piece of paper from board. Second, take piece of paper to administrative officer, and then lastly be told what to do. Satisfied with his incredible deductive abilities, Hammal turned his attention back to the plate, hoping that whatever he found there would be of some help in his battle against the drowsiness; a fight which he was not sure he could win unaided.
TheDudeAbides
 GM, 472 posts
Thu 28 Aug 2014
at 21:59
Re: Denair - Ebonshade Headquarters
    The doors to the cafeteria suddenly swung open and an armored entourage entered the room. The leader of the group was none other than Commander Hamilton himself. The Commander's armor was polished to a mirror like sheen and reflected the stunned faces of new recruits back at themselves in the dim candle light. Behind the Commander trailed a procession of gray haired advisers and a few cloaked individuals who seemed to float along the rough-hewn stone ground. One of the older men shuffled to the job board and hurriedly pinned an assortment of papers to it.

    The Commander assumed a regal pose atop a slightly raised platform, a focal point in the room. His deep velvety voice rang out and the room fell deathly quiet, "Men and women of the Ebonshade... on the morrow, the gate shall open. For the past 100 years we, the people of Denair, have been contained within these great walls. Finally, the actualization of our goals are to be realized and the culmination of 100 years of training will be released upon Linness. You will find the available jobs listed on this board, DO NOT ATTEMPT A JOB IF YOU DO NOT MEET THE REQUIREMENTS." His voice had become incredibly powerful and flecks of spittle flew from his mouth. "The rewards of your missions will scale with the difficulty but you are not privy to the knowledge of said reward until you complete the mission. Be brave, be brutal but most of all... be true. Good luck and godspeed!" The large man turned and strode purposefully out of the room. A hush fell over the crowd and all eyes turned to the simple wooden board mounted on the east wall.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:51, Thu 28 Aug 2014.

Arthanil Aldalithe
 player, 13 posts
Fri 29 Aug 2014
at 01:24
Re: Denair - Ebonshade Headquarters
Arthanil looked over as the Commander entered the Cafeteria and talks about the jobs he observes. He retrieves his food and sits down by Hallam. "This job stuff must be real important if they are opening the gates. At least I can go hunting." he mentions to nobody in particular. His elven figure and crossbow over his shoulder just show even more of hunter appearance.
Alice Weaver
 player, 20 posts
Fri 29 Aug 2014
at 02:24
Re: Denair - Ebonshade Headquarters
Alice had been glancing over at the board since she'd sat down. She quickly ate the food and stood up. "I'm going to check out that board now." Much like Arthanil, she directed this at no one in particular though the whole table would be able to hear it.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:13, Fri 29 Aug 2014.

Hallam Swales
 player, 5 posts
Fri 29 Aug 2014
at 03:21
Re: Denair - Ebonshade Headquarters
     The sudden boisterous yelling coming from the entrance finally jarred Hallam to wakefulness, though he grumbled under his breath about his peaceful meal being interrupted. When the elvish man dropped into a seat beside him and began to speak, he cocked his head inquisitively and replied, "Have much experience with hunting, then? Can't imagine much prey can be found in this city. At least not bigger than the sewer rats."

     When the beast-kin suddenly jumped to her feet and made her proclamation, Hallam took it as an invitation, especially since beast-kin were rare enough down in the Headquarters that he knew most of them by name. He stepped up to her as she began to walk towards the board, trying to catch her attention, "Hey, Alice! If whatever notice you grab needs more than one member, feel free to come fetch me. The guy that was sitting beside me seems like he might be interested as well."

This message was last edited by the player at 03:23, Fri 29 Aug 2014.

Arthanil Aldalithe
 player, 14 posts
Fri 29 Aug 2014
at 19:25
Re: Denair - Ebonshade Headquarters
Arthnail hears the mans question as he was eating and speaks, "Yeah I hunt. My father taught me all I know and I can't wait to use my bow to get some animal meat." He looked and the man had went to the board and he shrugged. Continuing to eat.
Belaern Uloavae
 player, 9 posts
Tue 2 Sep 2014
at 06:10
Re: Denair - Ebonshade Headquarters
A solitary Drow rounded out the group, tearing into a lamb shank as if it was the first piece of solid sustenance that he had come in contact with for weeks. The disgusting sound of flesh being torn from bone and slurped into its void of a mouth could be heard throughout the room, and possibly even felt by the other members of the table as little pieces of mystery muscle flew here and there. Every so often, when a stray piece of meat landed close enough, a solitary hand would dart out and scoop the chunk back into the mouth of the uncouth devourer.

Whomever this creature was, he seemed pretty content to feast as opposed to conversing, and took no interest in the job-posting board whatsoever. To a scholar, one might note the precise tattooing of constellations across its face and neck, whereas the rest of its torso on down was covered by a dingy, black robe that looked as if it had been stolen rather than bought. In any case, it had definitely seen better days, much like its wearer, whose hands were marred with every assortment of scars imaginable. At some point, it became difficult to tell where the tattoos ended and the scars began.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:22, Tue 02 Sept 2014.

Alice Weaver
 player, 21 posts
Tue 2 Sep 2014
at 18:37
Re: Denair - Ebonshade Headquarters
Alice vaguely heard the others as she scoured the board. She looked over it several times, reading all the details for each job. Once she'd done that she turns around.

"So there's three of us?"
She looks at Hallam as she speaks. "That'll mean the 4 person jobs are out then. That leaves scouting, taking messages or gathering supplies. Any of those tickle your fancy?"
Hallam Swales
 player, 6 posts
Wed 3 Sep 2014
at 02:00
Re: Denair - Ebonshade Headquarters
Hallam blinked at her, before glancing back to the table and seeing a pale-skinned drow taking a seat at their table, and then turning back to face her before beginning to speak, "I think we may have found our fourth, Alice. Honestly, anything you think suits us is probably a fine option, though I think scouting an area we're completely unfamiliar with sounds like a good way to get lost." He motioned back towards the table before continuing, "I'll go let them know a job's on the way so that nobody decides to wander off before you get back."

He then headed back towards the table, sinking back into his seat beside Arthanil and bowing his head slightly, "I apologize, friend. I saw someone I knew and wanted to catch her before she got to the message board." When the Drow and began tearing into a lamb shank, Hallam frowned only briefly before raising his hand in silent greeting, not wanting to interrupt the elf's meal. "I asked her," he said, "to take a quick look through the job notices and bring something she thought to be a good choice for the little group we seem to have going here."

Hallam's eyes suddenly widened in realization, before he offered his hand, first to Arthanil, and then to Belaern, "I must apologize again, I seem to have completely lost track of my manners. My name is Hallam Swales, Cleric of Cerellos."
Belaern Uloavae
 player, 10 posts
Wed 3 Sep 2014
at 02:39
Re: Denair - Ebonshade Headquarters
The dark, wrinkly creature grunted for a moment, slobbering over the bone it had scraped clean. Its blood-red eyes darted towards the cleric that addressed him, filled with a dull, aching annoyance. It dropped the heavy bone upon the porcelain plate, allowing it to clang against the table absentmindedly. As Hallam addressed the Drow, it likewise outstretched its own hand, covered with meat-slime and saliva. "Belaern," it replied, dragging out its name tortuously as if drawing meat through a grinder.
Arthanil Aldalithe
 player, 15 posts
Wed 3 Sep 2014
at 05:32
Re: Denair - Ebonshade Headquarters
Arthanil looks as the man returns and speaks of working a job. He nods to Hallam and a little grin forms on his face looking to Alice by the board. He saw the drow and his loud obnoxious chewing and watches as he eats the lamb shank. He watches as the Drow inroduces himself.

He turns to Hallam and chuckles, "Arthanil Aldalithe. It seems you have manners than. What a shock. Anything interesting up there?"
Alice Weaver
 player, 22 posts
Wed 3 Sep 2014
at 22:27
Re: Denair - Ebonshade Headquarters
Alice looked at the feral creature attacking the meat and wondered if he was really going to bring anything to the group. She'd seen him around but knew nothing of his skills or background. She shrugged to herself, thinking if nothing else he'd be a body towards the job requirement.

Alice then turn to the board and looks over the jobs she'd skipped over before. "If we're looking for 4 man missions, it looks like eliminating raiders or escorting workers. So what sounds good to you?" She looks towards the others to see their response.
Hallam Swales
 player, 7 posts
Thu 4 Sep 2014
at 04:03
Re: Denair - Ebonshade Headquarters
Hallam smiled, shaking each of their hands in turn, despite any slobber involved. In response to Arthanil, he nodded toward Alice and said, "Well, I suppose we're about to find out." Once she had made her way to the table, he gave each of the documents a once-over before giving his opinion, "Hm. Ten to four odds are pretty slim, even if they are poorly equipped. Additionally, I am, for the most part, a non-combatant. A mission where the sole objective is stabbing people isn't something I'm suited for, save for patching you three up once it's all over."

Hallam then tapped the other document with a finger, "Escorting the builders through a forest seems like the safer choice," he stated, "especially since we have a reputable elven hunter accompanying us." He then leaned back in his seat to let the others have a look.
Arthanil Aldalithe
 player, 16 posts
Thu 4 Sep 2014
at 16:29
Re: Denair - Ebonshade Headquarters
Arthanil looks to Hallam as he speaks and looks over the missions, "I will agree with the human and say I prefer the escort mission over the raiders. It will be great to see the forest once more."
Belaern Uloavae
 player, 11 posts
Mon 8 Sep 2014
at 01:31
Re: Denair - Ebonshade Headquarters
Cracking its neck to the side with a sickening crunch, the Drow responded in assent with an obnoxious belch. Returning its head to the upright position, the creature swung its legs out from the table and slowly rose to a stand. He wasn't the tallest member of the group, but his height didn't stand out amongst the average. Speaking with a rather ill-mannered voice, Belaern addressed his new-found companions, "Let's go, yeah?" He seemed eager about the entire affair, wearing something like a stupid-eager smile characteristic of a child given permission to break a rule.
Alice Weaver
 player, 23 posts
Mon 8 Sep 2014
at 03:50
Re: Denair - Ebonshade Headquarters
Alice shrugs at the comments. "It may be up to 10, but there is a difference in being on the offense and being on the defense. It's much easier to control the flow of combat if you pick the time and place."

"I'm more comfortable with the attack, but I'll go along with the defense if you that's what the rest of you want." Alice waits to see if anyone changed their minds or they're staying with the defense mission.
Hallam Swales
 player, 8 posts
Mon 8 Sep 2014
at 20:51
Re: Denair - Ebonshade Headquarters
     Hallam quietly considered Alice's words for a few moments before shrugging, "I freely admit that my grasp of tactics is far from perfect, and on this matter I will defer to the members of our group that have actual combat experience." He glanced over at both Belaern and Arthanil, "But my preference is still for the more defensive option," he added, "We have a member experienced in navigating woodland environments, and even assuming none of the builders are remotely competent in the art of war, there is still a measure of safety to be found in numbers."
Arthanil Aldalithe
 player, 17 posts
Mon 8 Sep 2014
at 23:05
Re: Denair - Ebonshade Headquarters
Arthanil nodded to Hallam as he spoke of the defense option, "I would much rather take the defensive option than the attack option. While I can do both it would be better to determine group cohesion by doing such a mission. It would be miserable if we go into the raiders and find out we argue over plans and such."

He shrugged, "Plus Hallam is right. I know the woods and could do a better job fending off dangers of the woods." He looks to Belaern for input.
Belaern Uloavae
 player, 14 posts
Mon 8 Sep 2014
at 23:44
Re: Denair - Ebonshade Headquarters
Balaern glanced around the room, bored and uncomfortable. Strategy wasn't exactly his thing. "Bunch o' fucking generals," he murmured, cracking his long fingers one at a time. "Why not both?" asked the unhappy Drow, determined to break the dichotomy. "One, then the other one. Yes?" He wiped off a few stray crumbs from his robes before outstretching his arms long and wide in a cathartic stretch. A deep, long yawn bellowed out from his mouth, as his eyes glanced around his fellow compatriots. "Either way, blood will be spilled, no? So let blood be spilled-- then we drink. Yes?" The eloquent philosopher offered his opinion thus, and waited for a response.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:18, Tue 09 Sept 2014.

Arthanil Aldalithe
 player, 19 posts
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 00:08
Re: Denair - Ebonshade Headquarters
Arthanil laughs at the Drows comment and looks to Alice and Hallam, "Can we do both? I don't think there is a rule against doing more than one at once is there?" he shrugged. "Either way looks like we'll do the escort for now."
Hallam Swales
 player, 11 posts
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 02:48
Re: Denair - Ebonshade Headquarters
He pondered the question for a moment before answering, "If there is such a rule, I haven't heard of it. I think the only danger would be someone else completing the other mission before we got back." He glanced over at Alice, "I wouldn't mind picking up this bandit job once we get back, assuming the first job goes well. Would that be an acceptable compromise?"
Alice Weaver
 player, 24 posts
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 16:45
Re: Denair - Ebonshade Headquarters
Alice ponders everyone's words. She then shrugs. "That's fine I guess. We can't assume the job will still be there though. A lot can happen in a week. Defense it is."
TheDudeAbides
 GM, 518 posts
Wed 10 Sep 2014
at 20:43
Re: Denair - Ebonshade Headquarters
    The group collectively decides on the the "Escort Builders" mission, and Alice snatches it off the board. Together, the group leaves the cafeteria and heads down a long hallway towards the administrative office of "Old Man Wutherby." The office is locked to all but those who work within, but a service window with a large slot allow for communication and the transfer of items and documents between the inside and outside. Behind the glass is a withered old man who doesn't even look awake. As the group approaches, his eyes snap open and a wide smile spreads across his wrinkled face. "Well well, aren't ye a motley crew..." His eyes slowly pass over each member and twinkle mischievously. "So yer taking a mission are ye? Slide yer paper through the slot." He points at the opening and Alice quickly obeys. The old man looks over the document and reaches below the parties line of sight. "Take this food, the mission lasts at least nine days; one in transit to the forest, one in transit back to Denair and seven on site with the builders to ensure their safety." The old man slides a large satchel through the opening for the group. "Ye will meet the builders at the main gate tomorrow morning at 08:00 AM sharp! There be six builders and they will have a few carts loaded with supplies. Don't fail yer first mission kiddos! I suggest ye each go git a good nights rest and meet back in the cafeteria for some breakfast before ye head out." With that, the old man tilts his head back and closes his eyes. Apparently, Wutherby felt as though he provided the fresh group enough details and was now going to take a nap.

    Each of the party members has there own room within the Ebonshade headquarters, and the layout of the underground base is quite simple. One primary hallway travels down the center of the base like a spine. Housing can be found directly connected to the hallway and the cafeteria is located at the northern end. At the southern end of the long hall is a small heavily guarded room where the exit up into the tavern can be found.

    The group members each meander off to their respective rooms and settle in for the night. After a good nights rest they meet up in the cafeteria for a hearty breakfast. The trip to the gate takes a short 15 minutes and the group find themselves face-to-face with the monstrosity that none have ever seen open. With a loud cracking sound, the massive doors slowly begin to open outward. Dust falls down around the party members as the gate shakes off years of inactivity in an instant. A small group of humble craftsmen approach from behind the group. Two of the men lead horses which tow fairly large carts which are heavily laden with wood and other supplies. The one in front speaks up, "Oi! are you four Ebonshade?"

10th day of the 2nd month: 8:00 AM.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:18, Wed 10 Sept 2014.

Hallam Swales
 player, 13 posts
Thu 11 Sep 2014
at 01:00
Re: Denair - Ebonshade Headquarters
Hallam listened attentively to Old Wutherby's briefing, and obediently made his way to his room afterwards, bidding each of his companions a good night before disappearing into his room. Despite fully intending to abide by the old man's advice, Hallam found it difficult to sleep. He had lived his entire life within the walled city, never seeing more greenery than what could fit in his shrine's small garden. While he knew what a forest was, he could not actually conceptualize what it would look like, much less how one could navigate such thick foliage.

Hallam woke after a night of troubled sleep, ensured that his gear was packed and ready to go and ate a small meal in the cafeteria before he went to join with his companions near the main gate out of the city, staring with open awe as the gate slowly opened before his eyes. The loud voice of the craftsmen behind him jerked him from his stupor. After turning to face them and a moment's hesitation, he stepped towards the craftsman in front, and Hallam offered up a hand as he made his introduction, “Yes, I am Hallam Swales, Cleric of Cerennos.” After shaking the man's hand, he motioned to the rest of the group, “This is Alice, Belaern, and the tall fellow is Arthanil. You are the craftsmen we are to be escorting, I assume?”
Arthanil Aldalithe
 player, 21 posts
Thu 11 Sep 2014
at 01:10
Re: Denair - Ebonshade Headquarters
Arthanil had followed along with the group to the administaration as they turned in the paper and he stood there stoicly watching. He listened to the details and figured that the plan would be simple so long as nothing bad happened. He then slinked to his room and drifted into a rock like slumber. He woke up and ate a nice hearty breakfast.

Arthanil then follows toward the gate and looks it over. He has seen it many times and after a moment turns around and sees the group approach. As Hallam introduces him he waves and turns back to his thoughts.
Belaern Uloavae
 player, 15 posts
Thu 11 Sep 2014
at 20:42
Re: Denair - Ebonshade Headquarters
Belaern walked out of the the massive gates with a big, uninspiring yawn, as if out of spite for any historians that may be watching. He squints up at the bright light of the Sun, almost eliciting a hiss in protest, but resigns himself to cover up under the hood of his ragged robes. His attire was still stained with this morning's crumbs. For what he lacked in professionalism, Belaern made up for with his ferocity. He wasn't an uninspiring figure in the least, scarred and tattooed as he was. Belaern fit the part of the mercenary well, save the lack of any visible weaponry. Hallam spoke for him, and he seemed rather content with that.
Alice Weaver
 player, 27 posts
Thu 11 Sep 2014
at 22:46
Re: Denair - Ebonshade Headquarters
Alice wonders to herself how she managed to be the spokesman for this group. She couldn't deny it was the 'motley crew'. She just nods along with the old mans explanations and heads off to sleep. As usual, she falls asleep quickly even with the excitement.

She wakes early and gets everything ready for the trip. The opening of the gate was something to see but seemed a little anticlimactic. She didn't know what she'd expected, but was just a big door opening. The thought of what was through those door did pique her interest. Alice happily lets Hallam speak to the craftsman, waving when her name is mentioned.