Freeport - Temple of Light.   Posted by TheDudeAbides.Group: 0
TheDudeAbides
 GM, 6 posts
Sat 31 May 2014
at 08:17
Freeport
    The gate to the Temple of Light seemed strange and oddly out of place in the otherwise normal cityscape. Pillars of clear crystal jutted out from the earth and framed a large and foreboding iron-bound door. For nearly a millennium, the Temple had stood as a symbol of holiness and piety. Once, people used to travel from all across Linness to offer up their gratitude to Lilith. Despite its meticulously maintained appearance, the Temple is a mere shadow of its former glory.

    A cluster of guards wearing the silvery-blue tabard of the Temple stood at the gate. The men were caught up in what appeared to be a heated debate about the rising cost of weapons. The youngest of the guards was nearly shouting, "It's the blasted rumors coming down from up north I swear." A portly guard, his head bouncing vehemently, interjected fiercely, "them bloody dwarves be charging a finger and a 'alf for a shoddy piece of metal!" Their whinging continued on in this manner for quite some time; they were clearly upset and paid no mind to the casual observer.

    The evening was bright and the gentle breeze off the ocean kept the city smelling clean and fresh. The sun was steadily creeping overhead, and within a few hours would be hidden below the the western horizon. The air buzzed with a tangible finality, and caused the senses to tingle with an overwhelming feeling of foreboding. This was a day of great importance. The pacts formed today would impact the future of the world and echo, resounding, through the annals of time.


1st day of the 2nd month: 6:00 PM.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:54, Wed 11 June 2014.

Lucinda Eravyn
 player, 30 posts
 Elf
 Alchemist
Fri 6 Jun 2014
at 23:22
Re: Freeport
Lucinda took a deep breath as she walked down the street towards the old temple. To say this was a new experience would be a bit of an understatement. As her feet continued tapping on the old pavestones smoothened by thousands of pedestrians, her eyes looked around in curiosity as she smelled a rather eclectic mix of scents. Had the city always been like this? She admittedly had little experience with these areas, but she still thought that it was a rather different place than her lab. She almost missed the occasional clouds of chemical fumes, although she did notice that rather nostalgic smell coming from a few of the local alchemy shops. She also managed to sniff the extremely appealing scent of a local bakery shop, who, it seemed, had just a moment ago placed out rather sumptuous pastries. She felt the saliva collecting in her mouth from the sheer wondrous scent of the place, and her hand instinctively wandered to her coinpurse before she shook her head. She had to be serious about this! There was no time for distractions….no matter how delicious. She slurped and swallowed the saliva, slightly increasing her pace, despite it causing her to nearly run into a cart, to rid herself of the tantalizing delicacies. She continued walking down the city street for a time, examining the various shops displaying their items and keeping her distance from the barkers selling their various goods and especially the crowds surrounding them. It simply would not due for her to be distracted from her mission today. She squinted a little bit from the sun that was shining on her. She wasn’t used to walking outside for such long periods of time, she just hoped she wouldn’t experience the burns that the sun seemed to give those who worked in it. She supposed she had some ointment which would alleviate the injury, but she knew she had to save that for more pressing times. She wiped her brow as she finally spied the old temple. She felt what seemed like butterflies but were much more likely a mixture of psychological stress and chemical reactions in her stomach as she noticed the guards. It appeared she couldn’t just walk in so easily. What was she to do? She breathed a sigh of relief as she suddenly remembered the piece of paper that had been given to her and was currently stowed away in her backpack. She was supposed to use it here! She quietly thanked the guild for preparing her so well, it was quite the relief not to have to introduce herself like that.

She cleared her throat as she stepped up in front of the guards. She had to do this! All she needed to do was focus on the paper and she would be fine. She opened up her bag and pulled out a piece of rather fine parchment from an envelope. It was quite fine indeed she thought, it had a beautiful and ornate trim, and the actual feel of the paper was softer and smoother than anything she had ever used back at the lab. The lettering was sweet and meticulous as well, even her trained eyes couldn’t find any errant ink stains or missed strokes. It truly was quite impressive. She stared at it for a few more seconds before shaking her head slightly, reminding herself not to get distracted. She started reading the letter out loud, clearly trying to sound impressive but much more likely seeming a bit mousey. As she spoke, she made sure to keep the paper in front of her face as much as possible to avoid being nervous. “Greetings. The carrier of this message Lucinda Eravyn. She have come here on behalf of the Freeport Guild of Alchemists, Apothecaries, and Brewers. W-we have brewers? I guess that explains the alcohol…” She quickly shook her head, realizing she needed to regain her focus. “We are very much aware of the situation in the north, hereafter referred to as ‘The Darkening of the North,’ Due to the clear and present danger of the situation, we would like to state that we are quite concerned about it, and are currently doing our best to prepare a solution. However, without more proper data, an analysis of the situation is not presently possible. We have heard word that your organization has in its possession items which may allow one to safely approach this darkening. It is our humble request that you bequeath one of these items to the carrier of this letter, one Lucinda Eravyn. She is a fine girl, of good health and will surely be of excellent service in the investigation of this phenomena. She should be successful in her mission, even if she was not necessarily our first choice for the expedition given her lack of field experience. We are well aware that your items may be of great expense, and it is possible you do not wish to bestow one upon her based on her appearance or experience. If required, speak to Barnabus Finch at the Guild Office located on Baker Street for compensation. We here at the guild sincerely hope that you will grant our request. With luck, we will find some way to reverse or stop the darkening, or some way to survive it. Thank you and have a fine day.” She smiled a little awkwardly, apparently not noticing that she was supposed to give the men the letter rather than reading it aloud.
TheDudeAbides
 GM, 60 posts
Fri 6 Jun 2014
at 23:32
Re: Freeport
    The guards were taken aback as a young elf woman approached them and immediately began reading from a sheet of parchment. The youngest guard listened with interest, and as she finished chuckled slightly to himself, "Oi! relax pretty lady, you are the first of several expected here today." He pointed off to the left of the entrance, "You can wait over there until the rest show up."
He clearly felt as though his instructions were substantive enough, and promptly went back to arguing with the other guards. "Listen here ya big oaf, if it weren't for the blimey man beasts running around, Greenwood would be a perfect place to retire!" The discussion trailed off into unintelligible grunts and sudden outbursts of emotion.
Devi McCain
 player, 79 posts
 Human
 Caster
Fri 19 Sep 2014
at 18:55
Re: Freeport
Devi had come a long way after she had heard of the call for adventurers from the High Priestess herself. While she had only been to the Temple of Light once before with her Uncle to pay her respects on her sixteenth birthday (as was tradition in her family), she still remembered its  beautiful crystal construction clearly enough. Still the journey itself had been tiring, she had hiked the hidden pathways of the Greenwood, floated down the river and trod the road from Tiro on foot, having no need or want of a horse. The days had been long and hard, the nights cool and too short, and yet she would have it no other way.

Surprisingly enough the city of Freeport had changed little from her memory, sure some of the buildings had been fixed up, replaced or were in disrepair, but the streets, the sights and smells where the same as those in her memory. The pace she set with her long legs gave the brown-clad woman a sense of purpose as she strode down the streets with a soft clank as her staff touched the ground as she followed her memory (and the temples crystal pillars) towards her goal as she ignored the tantalizing aroma of sweet pastries and frying meat that set her mouth a watering that came from various stalls and shops on her chosen route.

When the tall woman finally arrived she strode up to the guards that were arguing about the reasons the Greenwood was not safe, blaming it on various things including beast-kin and the various thieves. Of course they left out the vicious animals and other inhabitants of the wood, and various other things that would cause "retiring" there to be a problem, but then again what would a city guard so far from the wood know about it?

Devi spoke up, her dulcet tones being a gruff bass in nature, "The Greenwood is no place for the old and feeble, regardless of the beast-kin or the lack of them in its confines." she pauses a moment before continuing, "I've come to answer the call." she assumed they would know what she meant and simply left it at that.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:55, Fri 19 Sept 2014.

TheDudeAbides
 GM, 64 posts
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 00:28
Re: Freeport
    The guards regarded the tall man with a sideways glance. "What we is talkin bout, be none of yer damn business" slurred a rather unpleasant looking guard. He raised a hand and pointed to the side of the great door, "Stand over there and wait yer turn." With that he turned back to his companions, joking about the brashness of the populous and complaining about their overall lack of respect for the temple guard.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:28, Sat 07 June 2014.

Lynessa Crescent
 player, 6 posts
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 02:33
Re: Freeport
It might have been any other day of her life. Lynessa often passed the shimmering glass pillars during the course of her week. The mingling scents of baked goods and meats, incenses and oils created something entirely unique, but familiar to Lynessa. It was the scent of Freeport, the smell of home. She was a daughter of the city, and it was as much a part of her as the blond hair that brushed her just about the small of her back or the blue eyes the hair framed.

It might not have been easy for her to accept the High Priestess' summons, there would be times in the coming days in which she regrets her decision, but the opportunity to contribute to something that could affect the fate of Linness itself was too much to pass up. The weight of Heirloom, the great broadsword slung across her back, would serve as a constant reminder of her purpose.

She stepped up to the guards behind a man that towered head and shoulders over her. She eyed him curiously, then turned her attention to the guards. She wondered if she knew them by name. It was unusual but not unheard of for the City Guard and the Temple Guard to work together. If she had met these two, she could not put names to faces.

“Lieutenant Lynessa Crescent,” she introduced herself. “I'm here in response to the High Priestess' call for adventurers.” Her hand disappeared into a satchel at her waist and withdrew a rolled parchment. “My papers, if you need proof of my identity,” she offered. She also carried a recommendation from Captain Awlgood, though she wondered if it would be necessary to show it.
TheDudeAbides
 GM, 66 posts
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 02:46
Re: Freeport
    The portly guard glanced up as the young female strode confidently up the stairs.
"Well well, what do we 'ave here?" His jowls quivered ever so slightly as he spoke. "Seems this young city guard is looking for adventure." He smiled cordially at her and waved her off to the side. "Stand over there miss, the High Priestess done gave us a list already and yer on it." His voice pined away to a whisper, almost as though he was talking to himself, "Dunno how she done it, blimey scary that one. She knows each of ye before ye showed yer faces."
Lucinda Eravyn
 player, 31 posts
 Elf
 Alchemist
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 02:55
Re: Freeport
Lucinda heard the last part and seemed a bit confused. How could she have known that the girl would come? Even the elf hadn't known she was coming until the day before, and it seemed that Adrian Roric, Alchemist Adventurer, would be the representative from the guild. How could she have known that he would send a currier to the guild informing them of his work keeping him busy at the Alheim ruins? How could she have known that Lucinda, who despite what the paper had said considered herself an average member, instead? Her parents had taught her many things, especially how there was always a logical explanation, always a cause to the effect. However, for her to describe this phenomenon she required more information. She cleared her throat, her curiosity overcoming her fear of the intimidating figures. "U-um..er..." Well, mostly anyway. "H-how long have you had this list w-with me on it?"
TheDudeAbides
 GM, 67 posts
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 03:02
Re: Freeport
    The chubby guard eyed the young elf suspiciously. "Well now that's a strange question... I believe I got this 'ere list when I was assigned post about two weeks ago." He looked at his fellow guards for affirmation and they nodded in response. "Yup, two weeks ago miss." He turned his attention back to the group of guards, apparently they were now speaking of their favorite local brothels. The youngest of the guards was quickly turning a scarlet hue.
Jerischo Elsinoir Addis
 player, 5 posts
 Will play music for Dosh.
 And Deeds 4 Cheap.
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 03:06
Re: Freeport
The push of the crowds in the city were comforting to the man, who pulled his hat down as he wove his way through it all.  If anyone was tailing him, he hadn't spotted them, and he certainly went out of his way to check every once in a while, sometimes subtly, sometimes not-so-subtly.  A few times he slipped into alternate routes as he made his way towards the temple that had only just recently become such an important objective for him.  As he slipped his way out of the last alley that he'd slunk into, he rejoined the crush of people, and stopped in his tracks.

The temple was, even though he'd heard of it, had seen it through the crowds, still a sight to him with a clear view.  Certainly something worthy of remembering, and in his opinion, maybe even writing down something about it.  He began reaching for his little journal, when a movement in the crowd caught his eye, and his priorities shifted back to his immediate goal.  Where the temple was, there was hope, and where there was hope, there were guards.  Oh, and that whole quest-thing too.  That sounded fun.  Risky, but less risky than his current situation.

The man slunk out of the crowd, his little shoulder cloak flapping and his rucksack slapping on his back.  He stopped and used a nearby window to check himself, before finally walking right up towards those forbidding gates and beautiful columns.  He put on his most charming, innocent smile as he approached the guards, trying not to stare at the others who seemed to be gathering there.  He inwardly kicked himself for having no real documentation at all. Hopefully "good intentions" would be enough.

"I don't suppose that whole 'adventurers wanted' thing includes travelers with good will, does it?  I uh, I didn't really know there was documentation needed. . ."  He tilted his hat back, and his pleasant green eyes and smile shone for a moment as he scratched his head.  This was it.  It all was riding on this.  "Jerischo Elsinoir Addis, a traveling. . .musician and adventurer, if I may offer my services."  The mention of the list almost broke his composure.  Oh gods, if they had a list, he was screwed.  Oh please let there be SOMETHING that he could do, or say. . .
TheDudeAbides
 GM, 68 posts
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 03:15
Re: Freeport
    The young guard, his face red and mannerisms clearly flustered, simply pointed to the group that was slowly amassing besides the great iron door. "Ya... you must be this Jerischo fellow. Stand over there and don't do anything ridiculous." Nudging the fat guard next to him he gestured at the brazen lad and whispered something in his fellow guards ear. Turning back to Jerischo he said, "The High Priestess is AWARE, and gave us explicit instructions regarding who we allow in... YOU are ON the list." He was clearly putting emphasis on the fact that the young bard was to be allowed in, as if it was something surprising.
Lucinda Eravyn
 player, 32 posts
 Elf
 Alchemist
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 03:24
Re: Freeport
Two weeks ago!? How could she have possibly figured out everyone who was going to be here that long ago? It was quite the puzzle actually, one very difficult to solve. Perhaps she has some sort of information network? Perhaps she had been gathering information on the various comings and goings. Perhaps she knew that Roric was going to be busy from some sort of spy or contact, and had looked at the list of alternative options. The guard was simple enough, she seemed to be a relatively famous one judging by their reactions. Perhaps this priestess was merely very good at predictions? It was most curious. She would have to ask her as soon as she got in.
Devi McCain
 player, 79 posts
 Human
 Caster
Fri 19 Sep 2014
at 18:53
Re: Freeport
Devi listened to the guards reply and simply nodded in reply before she strode off to the door indicated rather than responding, that guard would fit right in down in Westvale, though most of his companions wouldn't last very long (not before changing for the worse anyway).

She watched the others as they arrived and spoke to the guards and took their appearances in, her eyes lingered on the small pale elf girl dressed in fine clothing with various vials and other alchemical accruements about her waist. Someone well versed in their use it would seem, or an addict, though with the well-to-do clothing and her showing up here for the call that seemed rather unlikely.

Her gaze then moved on to the armored woman with a sword on her back that looked more like something a man of his size should be wielding than the small frame it was attached to that had arrived after her. She had eyed Devi curiously for a moment before introducing herself to the Temple Guardians as Lieutenant Lynessa Crescent, an officer then. Hopefully she would not have been given her position simply by virtue of family name or wealth, though one could rarely tell on first meeting if that was the case.

The last person she looked over was a traveler carrying a lute and wearing a fanciful hat that introduced himself as a well-meaning traveling adventure/musician. She had meet a few like him before, his kind wasn't very uncommon in Devi's neck of the woods, and they always paid well enough to be spirited away when their welcome had been worn perhaps a little too thin.

All in all it was turning out to be an odd group, though she wondered how many more would be arriving as she doubted that this small group would be all that answered the Priestess call. Devi's gaze returned to the crystal facade of the Temple and wondered how it would look from the outside if she were to utilize her magic from inside. The light show that went on at night from simple moon and starlight was something to behold, at least in her memories of the place from all those years ago.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:53, Fri 19 Sept 2014.

Lalita Chandra
 player, 5 posts
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 15:31
Re: Freeport
Lalita couldn't believe her eyes as she walked through the city of Freeport, making her way towards the Temple of light. The buildings, the people, smells and sights. It was all so beautiful! And yet, even in a grand city such as this, she had to keep herself hidden from sight. For her appearance was sure to cause suspicion amongst the citizens and more than anything what the girl wanted, was to avoid as much trouble as possible IF it was possible. Therefore, so to hide her figure as well as her beast-traits the girl wore a long dark colored robe. "Just stay calm..." she thought to herself, "Everything will be ok.."

In truth, the girl wasn't so sure. What if she was denied to venture off with the other adventurers? What would she do then? Return home? Not possible. There was nothing for her there and the voices...no. She needed to do this. Now with the temple in plain sight, Lalita couldn't help but drop her jaw in awe. It was beautiful! Truly a work of art. She noticed a couple guards up ahead, beside them a small group of strange characters that she could only assume were adventurers that had also answered to the call.

She walked up to the guards, trying to keep her voice steady as she gave them a small smile. "Greetings, my name is Lalita Chandra Volkove. I-I have come in answer to the call." Tarn it!  She was letting her nervousness show. Maybe they didn't notice her stutter, she needed to stay calm.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:46, Sat 07 June 2014.

Jada
 player, 6 posts
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 16:19
Re: Freeport
Making his way thought the city was a slow affair for Jada. Besides the crowds, the city itself was much too fascinating for him to push through the masses towards his destination. Instead he traveled leisurely taking in the sights and smells as he walked; the complexity and number of them were almost overwhelming at times. People of course stared openly at him, some going as far to spit curses him. Fortunately none seemed like they wanted to fight today, so he payed little attention to them as he wandered the streets looking for the Temple of light.

As Jada finally arrived in front of the Temple of Light, he stopped to take in the sight. Despite his impassive expression, the beast-kin's tail swayed from side to side as he studied the grand structure. A sneeze broke his reverie and brought his attention back down to the gates and those gathered before it. He noted the group's varied attire, race, and demeanor, however he did not know enough about the world to place much meaning in the differences. Beyond guards and not guards, everyone there just seemed like city-folk.

Remembering the possibility that he might be expected to shake someone's hand, he shifted his traveling sack to his left hand and shoulder before approaching. "I am Jada. If the stories are true that the high priestess is seeking warriors for a dangerous mission against the growing darkness, then I would like to volunteer myself." He stated flatly to the nearest temple guard.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:00, Sat 07 June 2014.

TheDudeAbides
 GM, 69 posts
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 18:57
Re: Freeport
    The unpleasant guards face turned to a nasty snarl as the two beast-kin approached. He turned to his fellow guards and lowered his voice, "Doesn't matter how many times I sees em, gives me the creeps every time..." His voice trailed off as the beast-kin entered hearing range. The youngest guard, less disturbed by the rare sight of a swinging tail or fish gills waved them over to the side, "Join the rest of yer fellow adventurers." The guards looked over an official looking list and discussed among themselves for a moment in hushed tones. The young guard spoke again, "seems we just be waiting on one more then we can head on inside."
Nikolai Grey
 player, 8 posts
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 19:01
Re: Freeport

The sharp sounds of metal and the waving of cloth in the wind mixed together the lightly armored priest made his way through town. Nikolai could see up ahead that many of his soon-to-be companions had already arrived. They appeared to be a diverse bunch, and a couple of them even looked vaguely familiar, suggesting they were also Freeport natives like himself. He had heard that they had all been summoned here, which technically he had as well. Being part of the clergy, however, he had heard about this calling and had volunteered himself almost immediately, only afterwards discovering he was being summoned anyways. Perhaps it was because he was the youngest of the local priests and they thought he stood a better chance at surviving or perhaps the High Priestess had other reasons. Supposedly, she possessed certain powers and abilities that had once been common among Lilith's chosen, though Nikolai had never seen her himself. Either way, some part of him was a bit nervous that maybe she knew about him and how he had been having doubts lately...

Arriving at the gate, Nikolai simply nodded to the guards, having seen them before but not knowing them by name. "Gentlemen, it would seem I'm late. I apologize." he offered a simple greeting before stepping aside with the others. He studied them each in turn for a moment, attempting to discern what each of them were doing here. Some it was obvious, some he wasn't sure, but that wasn't terribly surprising. After all, how many people would look at him with half suit of armor and a spear strapped to his back and inherently know he was a priest? What was interesting to him was the presence of beast-kin among their ranks. Nikolai did not share the suspicion and fear of their kind that many humans did. Whether it was from his training in the clergy to serve any who sought aid or simply an innate open-mindedness, he wasn't sure, but it had never bothered him one way or the other.

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:05, Sat 07 June 2014.

Lucinda Eravyn
 player, 33 posts
 Elf
 Alchemist
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 19:17
Re: Freeport
Lucinda looked around at the gathered group, apparently the people who would serve as her escort on the expedition. They were a rather eclectic group. She wasn't entirely sure what to think of them yet. She backed away a little bit. Meeting new people wasn't exactly something she was used to after all. It always unnerved her even on the rare occasions that it actually happened. There was a rather stately looking guard. She seemed interesting enough, almost like the heroines in some of her stories. The fishwoman was a rather curious character as well, she had never seen a beastkin, let alone one of the aquatic variety. They were known for being especially rare, and she knew it was quite the experience to be meeting one in person. The mysterious robed man she did not know what to think about. He seemed to be some sort of forester, which she supposed would be quite helpful on the journey to come. She was frankly confused about why a musician would be coming along with them. She had never had much experience with music, but according to her parents she wasn't missing out much. According to them musicians were all lazy, incompetent charlatans. She just hoped maybe he would be able to carry food or something. Then there was the giant beast kin. She made sure to shy away from him. He could probably snap her in two if he had the desire. And then she stared for a moment at the final member of her escort, some sort of armored warrior. He seemed familiar with the guards here at the gate, perhaps he was some sort of temple guard as well? It would be logical for one of them to be accompanying the expedition, given that they were making it possible. She just hoped that none of them would try to hurt her. After all, her parents did warn her about not trusting anyone.
Jerischo Elsinoir Addis
 player, 6 posts
 Will play music for Dosh.
 And Deeds 4 Cheap.
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 19:53
Re: Freeport
The musician, as everyone seemed to call him, seemed far more comfortable and confident, now that he was amongst the group.  Indeed, if he were surprised at the mention of his name on a list that was supposedly predicted, he didn't show it.  He eyed each new traveling companion, analyzing each.  The girl, the town guard, looked able, and that pretty elf with all the bottles, the chemyst or alchemist...well, provisions would always be important, and that was nice.  The two beast-kin, he eyes with a bit more hesitation;  one of their names had set him off, and he didn't like how it had.  He wasn't sure why, either.

Mercifully the arrival of a priest of all things distracted him. He didn't pay too much to that one, because he'd already wandered onto the tall man.  Strange one, he was.  Wasn't sure what to make of most of them yet.  Once he had a read, he'd be able to do his part well.  He already knew what that was.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:59, Sat 07 June 2014.

TheDudeAbides
 GM, 71 posts
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 19:59
Re: Freeport
    The guards seemed relieved when the seventh and final member of the would-be heroes approached the gate. The portly guard was bouncing about excitedly, "Very soon, very soon, off to see the mistress of light!" He turned about and with a grand gesture threw open the iron-bound doors to the Temple. The inside of the temple was a glorious sight to behold. The shimmering structure had an otherworldly appeal and trapped the light as though it would never let it go; captured forever within the living crystal. The guard slowly and ceremoniously led the group forward along a shockingly well lit corridor.

    Looking about them, the faces of the group reflected back as broken shards and distorted visages. As they approached the end of the hall, it opened up into a large cavernous room; the grand chamber of the High Priestess of Light. Lismore, the final living priestess and earthly manifestation of her holiness Lilith the Goddess of Light lay upon an alter of crystal. The epicenter of a thousand beams of light, the alter was ablaze with a holy glow and burned the eyes to look directly upon.

    The frail form of a woman slowly rose from the altar and looked out across the expanse of glowing crystal. A slight smile cracked her lips and she spoke in a tone so low and faint that the adventurers had to strain to hear her. "Greetings fair heroes: Nikolai the light bringer, Lucinda the resourceful, Jada the solitary, Lynessa the redeemer, Jerischo the passionate, Devlin the ambitious and Lalita the lonesome..." She paused, a hand maiden rushed to her side proffering a small glass of water which she gratefully accepted and sipped ever so delicately. "I have been waiting", a small cough issued from her lips and her delicate body seemed to tremble.

    Her arm raised and a long finger pointed to a simple crystal stand in front of the group, "You will find a talisman for each of you upon that stand, I have seen this day in my dreams and have obeyed the instructions of my Goddess. Of myself I have given all", she coughed again, the strain of speaking was becoming very apparent. "May the talismans aid you in your journey and protect you from the everlasting night." Her shoulders slumped forward and she looked as though she might fall from the altar. A group of guards and hand maidens rushed forward to catch her frail form. She looked up at the group and whispered a silent prayer to Lilith; her eyes slowly closed and her breathing became slight. The chubby guard who had guided the group into the chamber grumbled  and hurriedly wiped a tear from his creased faced, "Go get yer things and be on yer way, the Priestess be fading from the world of man." He gently pushed them forward and waited their return.

Your eyes are instantly drawn to a particular item in the pile, you see:

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:45, Thu 03 July 2014.

Jerischo Elsinoir Addis
 player, 7 posts
 Will play music for Dosh.
 And Deeds 4 Cheap.
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 20:31
Re: Freeport
Jerischo the Passionate?  Really?  That's what she saw in him?  Goddess of light, was she reading into things a bit much.  Well, if that's what they saw, that was fine.  They were right enough, he guessed.  He eyed the high priestess with his peripheral as he reached for his proffered item.  Such a frail thing.  He didn't really believe in all the prophecy junk, but she clearly did, and the effects it seemed to be having upon her body were both fascinating and disturbing to him.  Someone in her condition should've been lying in bed, trying to heal, not greeting the supposed "heroes" who would save the world. Was she "hanging on" just to see them? Did she really have that much faith in them?  That was intriguing to him on a level that he usually never even considered.  He stopped for a moment, hesitant, before pocketing the item away, and returning back towards the entryway.  He eyed the others as well, trying to see what the made of all this.  He himself had no idea, in all honesty.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:32, Sat 07 June 2014.

Lalita Chandra
 player, 6 posts
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 21:12
Re: Freeport
Lalita couldn't help but admire the High Preistess. Even in her weakened state, she was filled with faith. Faith in her goddess and faith in them. How unfortunate such an extraordinary person would be leaving this world so soon.  Upon hearing the titles given to each adventurer, the beast-kin couldn't help but feel slightly disappointed in the one the High Priestess had given her, Lalita the lonesome. It sounded so...sad. Well, she supposed she was in a way. After all, the only person who ever cared for her left without a word. But she wasn't going to let that get her down. Nope! She was going on an adventure! She was actually going to travel the world and perhaps even save it from the Darkening. Indeed, there was no room for sadness. The fish-kin suddenly became inwardly excited.

Among looking at the talismans before them, Lalita took the one that stood out to her the most. A simple blue band. Though others might see it as plain, to the guppy it shrimply was beautiful. She placed the bracelet  around her wrist and looking towards the High Priestess whispered, "Thank you." Before turning around and following the musician  towards the entry way.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:32, Mon 09 June 2014.

Lucinda Eravyn
 player, 34 posts
 Elf
 Alchemist
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 22:27
Re: Freeport
Lucinda's eyes widened as she saw the beautiful interior of the temple. Just what was it made of? The properties of reflecting light were similar to sunstone, but the crystalline form was simply too beautiful. If only she could make something that beautiful one day. She looked down. Maybe in hundreds of years. If ever. She shook her head as she walked deeper into the temple. She listened to the words of the priestess as intently as she could. S-something had to be wrong with the priestess. She had seen Lucinda in her dreams!?  H-how!? She had never even gone this way before! She could count the number of people that had actually met her on one hand! H-how could this lady dream about her? She said the goddess willed it...but could that really be true? Why would a goddess choose her? She was weak and stupid. She barely knew about anything other than alchemy and she had spent her entire life in a basement. How could she be expected to succeed in a journey like this? How could this priestess, who seemed far more worthy than Lucinda, give up anything for someone as useless as her? She thought about all of her failed experiments and attempts at learning as tears began to well in her eyes. Th-this wasn't fair. Her eyes widened more as the woman started to fall down, seemingly dying. No! She couldn't die...not now! She had to take back that nice little talisman! Lucinda didn't deserve it! The elven girl rushed over to the priestess and fumbled through her pack, pulling out a healing potion. "P-please...d-drink this!" She said while putting the potion to the woman's mouth. "Y-you have to....I-I'm going to save you....a-and you can take this back..." She held the bracer as she tried to open the priestess's mouth and pour the potion.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:27, Sat 07 June 2014.

Devi McCain
 player, 79 posts
 Human
 Caster
Fri 19 Sep 2014
at 18:51
Re: Freeport
Devi followed behind the portly guard her eyes wandering about the temple taking in it's sights. The light was something else entirely, and it was something she was sure she would want to hold onto when they ventured out into the darkness. She ran an index and pinkie finger ever so lightly across the crystal as she walked behind the guard watching each of their faces and distorted reflections as if she might see something important in them. With her discovery of her skills she had come to believe wholeheartedly in the existence Goddess and her power, after all if she was able to do what she did how could she doubt?

Devi listened to the High Priestess and, turning her head to the left and leaning forward slightly on her staff to catch the words she was speaking. She nodded as she named each of them memorizing what she had called them, when she spoke her name she had a slight puzzled smile on her face. She supposed it was an accurate enough description, though she wouldn't have put it as such, that meant that the others were likely as accurate as her, after all how would one find out of the ambitions of a woman living as she had?

When she spoke of the Talismans on the stand Devi's gaze was drawn to one in particular, a simple thing a small glowing crystal on the end of a rather plain chain. She reached out with her left hand and picked it up and let the chain run through her fingers before she leaned her staff against her chest and slid it on around his neck carefully.

She wondered if perhaps she could give her a gift before she departed in return, as a priestess of the light would her abilities not be comforting? Before she was able to come to a decision the small elf girl rushed forward, and began to attempt to force feed her a potion drawn from her pack claiming it would heal the dying woman. While she doubted it would work, she stepped off to the side so as to be out of the way of the others should they wish to intervene, leave or take their own talisman. She would wait to see the outcome of this unfolding event before she made her own decision on a course of action.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:51, Fri 19 Sept 2014.

Lynessa Crescent
 player, 9 posts
Sun 8 Jun 2014
at 07:04
Re: Freeport
”Lynessa the redeemer? That is accurate enough,” Lynessa thought. She glanced at her companions, wondering what their stories were, how accurately the High Priestess had named their titles. She tried to glean some insight from what the Priestess had called them, but in almost every case came up blank. She guessed that the beast-kin were the “lonesome” and the “solitary”, based on how rare they were. ”And based on what I have heard of them, I'd do well to keep a close eye on those two. The tall one especially looks like he could be dangerous if he decides to turn on us.”

She approached pile of artifacts and was immediately drawn to a small black ring. The sight of it struck a chord somewhere deep within her, and when she picked it up she somehow knew it was meant for her. The fit was perfect as she slid it upon her finger. ”She knows that I want to redeem my family's name, and even the size of my finger.” Just how much had the High Priestess' magic told her about them, and before any of them had even met. How long in advance had she known about this encounter? Weeks? Months? Had she known about it for as long as she'd had the use of her gift? Lynessa shuddered. The realm of magic was well beyond her. It was taxing to think about, she could only imagine how taxing it must be to actually command such power.

A commotion back toward the High Priestess broke her thoughts. She turned just in time to see the elven girl rush forward and insist that the High Priestess take her potion. In her mind's eye, Lynessa could see the Temple Guard overreacting to the elf's apparent kindness and throwing the poor girl in jail. Or worse. It wouldn't do to have one of their party killed or arrested before they'd even left the Temple. Besides, the elf's concern seemed genuine. Lynessa didn't think she should be punished for that. She quickly stepped up behind the elf and gave her shoulder a firm but gentle squeeze and tried to pull her back away from the Priestess before the guards pounced.

“The High Priestess looks as if she needs to rest. Maybe if you left your potion with her hand maidens, they can see to her drinking it,” she suggested.
Lucinda Eravyn
 player, 36 posts
 Elf
 Alchemist
Sun 8 Jun 2014
at 08:08
Re: Freeport
Lucinda was a rather slight, light girl, and she found herself easily pulled back by the much more physically able guardswoman. She whimpered a little bit, surprised by the action. She couldn't really say anything in response though. The other girl was probably right anyway. It was the handmaiden's job to do that sort of thing after all, and it's not like Lucinda was a physician or anything. She had just wanted to help. She handed the potion over to one of the handmaidens without saying another word. H-had she screwed up again? It certainly looked like it. She coughed a couple of times. Oh dear...when she got all nervous like this sometimes it made her throat act up. She coughed lightly a couple more times before taking a deep breath. She looked at the item she had picked up again. It was a rather pretty thing, a leather bracer with loops built in to hold potions. It was a rather small one she had to admit. Her mind focused on it for a little bit, examining it. It looked actually rather comfortable, almost as if...she absentmindedly attached it to her wrist. It fit perfectly! A-and it was clearly built for an alchemist! A-and it even fit her clothes! H-how could she have had such a perfect gift prepared? A-and even more importantly why? Why her? Why Lucinda? Why wasn't it for someone else? Someone useful! She shuddered. Gosh, the pressure was mounting and she wasn't sure she could handle it. She coughed more. God...she was embarrassing herself now.
Lalita Chandra
 player, 8 posts
Sun 8 Jun 2014
at 14:18
Re: Freeport
"Are you alright, guppy?" Came Lalita's voice behind the two girls. The fish-kin after seeing the elf rush to the priestess couldn't help but stop and turn around to watch the events that soon came afterwards. She walked back over to the other girls and noticing the embarrassed look on the elven girls face, smiled. "What you did was very kind, do not fret. You did a good deed. Glub."
Jada
 player, 8 posts
Sun 8 Jun 2014
at 16:13
Re: Freeport
Jada nodded before moving aside to join the other 'adventurers'. Despite the guards' soft tones, it was hard for Jada not to overhear some of their conversation. So my name is on a list? I suppose I did give it at the city gate.. still seems a bit odd. He thought as he glanced over the other adventurers once more. This time his gaze lingered on Lalita before moving on.

Once the last person arrived, they had been expecting an exact number?, Jada followed the rest inside the temple. The temple was a welcome exit from the distracting din of the city and its endless smells. The sight of the building's interior was well worth the pains of travel, he concluded as he admired the beautiful scene. Soon they entered the grand chamber and the radiant glory of the priestess commanded his full attention. He squinted as he tried to take in the high priestess' form.

He listened patiently as the priestess gave her short address. Solitary? Really? She may not mean it as insult, but it seems far from a compliment. I hope they don't expect me to take that as a title. He thought before looking towards the assortment of items. His eyes quickly locked onto a leather manacle. For some reason the idea of a restraint resonated with the curses people liked to throw at him. What was it the farmer had said? Best-kin like me should be muzzled like the animals they are? He recalled as a lingering anger stirred within him.

The priestess' stumble and the resulting scramble brought Jada back to the present. I am being childish. She invested her essence into these objects so we might have a chance against the darkness; each is incredibly valuable. And even if they do wish to insult me, I have my duty to fulfill regardless. He concluded with deep breath as he calmly moved forward to the collection of items, picking up the manacle as a penance for his ill thoughts. Not sure what to do with the item, he simply held it in hand as he moved back to the entrance to wait for the group to be escorted out.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:13, Mon 09 June 2014.

Lucinda Eravyn
 player, 37 posts
 Elf
 Alchemist
Mon 9 Jun 2014
at 01:43
Re: Freeport
She nodded at the woman's words absentmindedly. Inwardly she was still nervous and worried. How could she be expected to do something this important? How could this priestess have put it on her? How could a goddess think that she could do it? She knew she would fail.
TheDudeAbides
 GM, 76 posts
Tue 10 Jun 2014
at 00:09
Re: Freeport
    The chubby guard waited patiently as the party members approached the altar and selected their individual items. He raised an eyebrow questioningly towards the one that had arrived last, Nikolai. Perhaps he needs a moment, this is a dangerous task they are accepting, he mused to himself. Apparently he considered the wait ample time, the guard pushed the tentative man towards the stand. "Come on lad, can't keep the priestess waiting all day. It's getting dark outside and my shift be  ending."

    The young elf had seemed particularly distraught over the ailing priestess and had attempted to give her a potion. The guards-woman had interjected, probably for the better, and the two had withdrawn back to where the jiggly guard was standing. "I've got vouchers for the lot of ye, they are meant to be exchanged with the stable master at the gates. The kingdoms finest horses, one for each of ye. It's all her doing," He gestured at the priestess and it looked like he might cry again. Reaching into the pouch at his side, he produced seven colorful sheets of parchment. "Present these to the stable master, Alfonz, and he will handle sortin ye out with saddles an whatnot. " He handed the sheets to the large beast-kin who was standing near him. "Here ye go fluffy, ye can sort this out with yer new companions." With that he crossed his arms and waited on the final member to return from the stand.
Jada
 player, 9 posts
Tue 10 Jun 2014
at 02:39
Re: Freeport
"They-" Jada started. They aren't my companions.  ..but I can pass out papers all the same. Setting his sack down for the moment, he threaded the drawstring through the manacle, letting it slide down unto the sack. Lifting his luggage over this left shoulder with his left hand, he took the papers with his right. "I'll see it done. Please give my thanks to the High Priestess." He replied before turning to those already ready to depart. No one mentioned companions, or horses. I hope this was worth coming this far south.

Once each of the party was done receiving their items and had made their way back towards the entrance, Jada approached each one in turn. "Here is a voucher from the priestess for a horse. Give it to stable master Alfonz at the city gate." He repeated with a disinterested tone while holding out the stack of vouchers for each person to take from.
Lucinda Eravyn
 player, 38 posts
 Elf
 Alchemist
Tue 10 Jun 2014
at 03:28
Re: Freeport
Lucinda nervously approached the giant beastkin. He was big. As in, quite large. Much larger than anyone she had ever met, even if that list was quite small. In fact, he was probably larger than anyone she had ever heard of. And judging by the man's muscle, it was clearly not for show. He was a man who could have easily intimidated someone with the bravery and constitution of a raging boar. She had something closer to the bravery and constitution of a frightened doe. Thus, she was afraid of the man simply by looking at him. She gulped, realizing if this man had to be her escort on a journey she frankly didn't deserve to be on, she would have to be able to stand next to him. Shuddering, she slowly walked up to him and pulled out a voucher before immediately hiding behind the guardswoman.
Lynessa Crescent
 player, 10 posts
Tue 10 Jun 2014
at 03:35
Re: Freeport
Lynessa took the voucher from the tall beast-kin, eying him warily the whole time.  “A horse. For riding,” she told him, very pointedly as if she thought he might not know what civilized folks did with the beasts.

She folded the voucher and slipped it into the pouch at her waist. The High Priestess, it seemed, had seen to it that they would be well prepared for the journey. It was heartening, and gave her faith that her companions had been chosen wisely. She turned toward the elven girl.

“You have not spent much time in the city.” Though it was just a guess on her part, Lynessa said it as if it were a statement of fact. “It's dangerous to move so suddenly at someone who is surrounded by guards, even if you have good intentions,” she cautioned gently. “Remember, guards are paid to... well... guard. If they think that who or whatever they're protecting is being threatened, they'll act first and try to sort out the details later.” She offered a smile, hoping she didn't sound threatening. The elven girl seemed so timid, and Lynessa didn't want to frighten her. ”And, I may have need of her potions before this is over,” she thought.

“I'm Lynessa Crescent,” she introduced herself loud enough for the gathered party to hear. “It seems like we'll be spending some time together. It'll make things easier for all of us if we know each other by name.”
Lucinda Eravyn
 player, 44 posts
 Elf
 Alchemist
Tue 10 Jun 2014
at 04:12
Re: Freeport
Oh dear. Introductions. She was never really good at them. She supposed it was because she didn't have that much practice. The nice old man at the alchemy supply shop already knew her name, and it was a rather surprising day when someone she didn't recognize came down into her atelier. She thought for a moment about what she should mention in her introduction. Perhaps she should give a brief overview of her alchemical accomplishments? No, although her parents had told her that everybody should certainly notice and appreciate them, the guildmaster had told her not to bore people with the details of her research. Her parents were probably right, after all, they were never wrong about anything, but the guildmaster's warnings scared her enough that she didn't want to risk it. After all, she didn't want to look like some boring old busybody right? B-but alchemy was all she had! If she couldn't mention that, what could she talk about? She fidgeted a little and twiddled her finger as she dug through the mountains of information in her mind. All of her alchemy books wouldn't help her here, but perhaps one of those stories she had read? Yes! The one with the cute alchemist girl! Escha! She was, although fictional, one of Lucinda's heroines. She was super smart and talented, and she always was happy and introduced herself well. Everybody she met loved her, even if she was a little clumsy sometimes. Escha always introduced herself with a smile and an adorable pose, so that's just what Lucinda had to do!

She took a deep breath and tried to smile widely. Although she certainly should have had an A for effort, her shyness and timidity led the gesture to devolve into a mere imitation of a smile, a tiny little curving of her lips. She tried to give a cute wave, but all that occurred was some bizarre, robotically rigid movement. "L-L-Lucinda E-e-eravyn! A-Alchemist Extraordinaire!" She said a bit too loudly. It was probably a blessing that the girl didn't entirely notice what she had just done. An outside observer would guess that she had perhaps five or ten seconds before the inevitable realization and embarrassment.
Devi McCain
 player, 79 posts
 Human
 Caster
Fri 19 Sep 2014
at 18:52
Re: Freeport
Devi just watched the events unfold before her with a look of mild interest upon her face as she waited leaning on her staff. She found it interesting that the guard cared enough to cry but was also worried about getting out of there on time, it was just odd to her, then again for all she knew that guard meant to spend his time here or simply knew that there was nothing to be done for the High Priestess and didn't wish to waste his time. She shrugged mentally and continued to wait.

When the portly guardsmen called Jada the large and fairly fierce looking beast-kin fluffy the corner of Devi's mouth tweaked upwards for a moment. She watched as Jada approached the others in turn offering them the vouchers she found it amusing that Lucinda was frightened and Lynessa was distrustful, of course she didn't have all that much experience with beast-kin, but she knew that most of the stories where false for the most part and she trusted that the High Priestess had not choose one of the bad ones for their journey, not with the ability to see each individual from at least two weeks out if not longer. "Such a shame I can't learn from her, I'm sure she would have much to teach me." She thought to herself.

As Devi was fixing to take her own voucher Lucinda introduced herself in a rather odd manner, the only two conclusions that Devi could come to was that she was rather sheltered or that she was damaged, which meant on the road she would likely slow them down. She understood the others introducing themselves, while she had been the second to arrive and was able to figure Lucinda's name before she gave (she being the only one she didn't hear introduce themselves) the rest would only know those that came afterwards and none would know her name as she had not introduced herself to the guards when she had arrived like the others had done. Taking a breath she spoke up identifying herself, "I'm Devi the Brown of the Greenswood."

Devi reached out and took her voucher from Jada and nodded to the man, "We shall have to see if stable master Alfonz has a beast for those of us larger than most, otherwise the horses may be rather uncomfortable for us."

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:52, Fri 19 Sept 2014.

Jerischo Elsinoir Addis
 player, 8 posts
 Will play music for Dosh.
 And Deeds 4 Cheap.
Tue 10 Jun 2014
at 05:45
Re: Freeport
The bard had watched it all, and had come to a conclusion;  this was going to be a disaster.  Well, it was disaster of unknown proportions, which he much preferred over any previous disasters he'd seen.  The unknown ones always seemed more appealing to him, as he reflected. Probably said some bad things about him, to be honest.  Oh well.  He walked up to the beast-kin, and took one of the stable requests.  Unlike the others, he wasn't really afraid of him.  Oh no, he'd seen beast-kin to be afraid of.  This wasn't one in his books-  this was more like a much-appreciated traveler, to keep between him and anyone out for either his neck or the party's at large.  He smiled cordially.  "Thank you very much."

Then the introductions started.  The officious woman introduced herself as Lynessa Crescent.  The tall man was Devlin "The Brown" of Greenswood.  He didn't snicker, but as musician, he of course couldn't help but think of a few lymerics.  And then the poor elf lady.  She was so nervous, and it showed.  Oh, she was going to need some help and support.  "Alchemist Extraordinaire," eh?  Well, that was more. . .something than his introduction was about to be.  He chuckled, keeping his hat on, so that only a few locks of his blond hair showed.  Well, they'd heard his name before, but it never hurt to put his name out there more.  Well, usually.  Sometimes. He cleared his throat, and his surprisingly entrancing voice rang out.  "I think Jerischo will be easier.  So please, call me Jerischo, or Jeri."
Lalita Chandra
 player, 10 posts
Tue 10 Jun 2014
at 06:22
Re: Freeport
Like the bard, Lalita had no problems going up to the beast-kin. Why would she? If anything he was just like her, except with ears and a tail, which she actually thought was kind of cute. She gave him a small smile and taking a voucher muttered a small "Thank you." Before asking him, "What's your name?"

Lalita wasn't quite shore what to think of her companions just yet. If anything they were quite extroadinary and the fish-kin couldn't wait to see what each one of them could do, when the circumstances called for action. However, that didn't necessarily meant she trusted them. Not yet at least. It was probably best at this time to just remain friendly, and to keep most of your thoughts to yourself. At least until a small bit of companionship was engaged. She turned to the rest of the group as introductions were being arranged, the elf had called herself Lucinda and was apparently an excellent alchemist. That would no doubt come in handy in the future, though the guppy had to wonder. Seeing how shy and nervous she was, if she would handle well under pressure. Well, they would soon find out later on she supposed.

The other women introduced herself as Lynessa Cresent. No brainer for this one, she was obviously a swordfish. Which again, would prove useful when they got stuck in a sticky situation. Tall robed man was Devlin, she...wasn't quite shore about him. There was a familiar aura she felt around him that she couldn't quite pin-point just yet. Was he possibly like her? And then Jerischo. Well if the girl was honest, she actually didn't reelly know what a bard did except sing songs and tell tall tails. Would that be useful though? Perhaps.

"You may call me Lalita." She announced in a soft, yet easy to hear voice. "It is pleasure to meet you all. Glub."

This message was last edited by the player at 13:06, Tue 10 June 2014.

Jada
 player, 10 posts
Tue 10 Jun 2014
at 10:18
Re: Freeport
Jada gave a low sigh, almost a growl at the elf's cowardly behavior. How is she suppose to fight back the darkness if she is afraid of someone handing out papers? He shook his head as he moved on.

At the guard-woman's remark, Jada gave an annoyed look. "An astute deduction." He replied briskly. He didn't wait for a response.

Approaching Devlin as he gave his introduction, Jada gave a short. "Nice to meet you." He nodded at the idea that it might take a larger horse for one of the few men in the city taller than himself. "For both the horse and the rider I imagine. I will likely forgo the horse. They seem rather needy and not very fast." He said with a small smile before continuing to the next person.

Jerischo's politeness was in such contrast to the women earlier, that it gave Jada pause and actually made him a bit wary. He gave a brief nod at the man's introduction. "Hi." He replied as he moved on.

Reciprocating her smile with a friendly smile of his own, Jada's discomfort seemed to fade slightly. "You can call me Jada." He replied to her alone. It was clear he wasn't introducing himself to the group, but rather Lalita specifically. "What a lovely name. It's a pleasure to meet you, Lalita."
Nikolai Grey
 player, 10 posts
Tue 10 Jun 2014
at 20:01
Re: Freeport
    Nikolai stumbled forward as the guard gave him a shove. He approached the stand and took the holy symbol hung from a simple chain, it was the final item remaining but still his body reacted to it immediately upon contact. This item was blessed indeed, he thought to himself. Looking up at the group as he headed back to the guard, he was aware of the introductions being made. "I'm Nikolai," he mentioned in a nonplussed manner. "Pleasure to make your acquaintance," he approached the large beast-kin who had identified himself as Jada, and took the proffered sheet of parchment. He glanced about at the guard and the rest of the group and stated simply, "Well, I'm ready to go."
TheDudeAbides
 GM, 96 posts
Tue 10 Jun 2014
at 23:42
Re: Freeport
    The portly guard had observed the group carefully as they approached the alter and again as they interacted with one another. "Looks like each of ye have a voucher, and yer special item from the priestess; we have tarried here long enough." He performed a slightly awkward bow towards the priestess and her entourage, and turned towards the corridor which led them back out of the inner chamber. "Come on ye lads and lasses we best be on our way," the guard moved at a remarkably quick gate, given his robust size, and the group soon found themselves at the great iron-bound doors.

    The large doors were thrust open to reveal the night sky and ten thousand winking stars. The chubby guard stood aside the opening and waved perfunctorily for the group to pass through. "It's up to the pack of ye to meet with Alfonz at the gate. From this point, I honestly 'as no clue what ye should do next. Mayhaps headin north be the best decision." The guard shrugged his large round shoulders and looked longingly off into the distance. "My wee wife probably has a juicy roast dripping over the fire right about now..." He trailed off in thought and looked at the group expectantly.

    The city streets were nearly devoid of foot traffic but the taverns and inns were bustling with patrons. The smells of food wafted up to the gates of the temple carried on a gentle breeze, and the sounds of singing and laughter filled the night air. The city was a place of happiness and peace. The people within the gates appeared largely unaware of the danger that loomed to the north, unaware or apathetic.

1st day of the 2nd month: 8:00 PM.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:53, Wed 11 June 2014.

Lynessa Crescent
 player, 16 posts
Wed 11 Jun 2014
at 03:45
Re: Freeport
Lynessa glanced skyward. The stars twinkled in the night sky like countless pinpricks in the velvety blanket of darkness. On a normal night, her watch would have ended by now and she'd be on her way to The Swine's Snout to have a few flagons of mead with her companions. Ewan, already into his cups no doubt, would greet her with a clap on the back and a hearty laugh and Melody, ever the friendly one, would embrace her as she took a stool. Perhaps Gregory would have joined them. She smiled at the thought of him sitting at a table, waiting to greet her.

But, tonight was not a normal night and these were not her friends from the City Guard. She glanced at each member in turn and wondered what they had given up to go on this journey.

She held her voucher up. “I suppose we should deal with these,” she said. “Alfonz won't like it if we keep him waiting too long. After that...” she hesitated. “The area immediately outside the city should be safe enough. We can put a few miles between us and Freeport before making camp,” she suggested. In truth, she was mostly making her best guess in this regard. Her duties had rarely called for her to go more than a few miles outside of Freeport. She glanced at Jerischo, then Devlin as looking for support of her idea. The two of them stuck her as the most well traveled of the group.
Lucinda Eravyn
 player, 55 posts
 Elf
 Alchemist
Wed 11 Jun 2014
at 04:56
Re: Freeport
She looked up a tiny bit. Wait a moment...they were going to leave...tonight!? Right now!? She figured they'd have at least a few more days here! She supposed it hadn't really hit her yet, she had not truly realized what was about to happen. Her night tonight...it wouldn't be in her bedroll that was always warm next to the burners, it was going to be outside! W-with bugs! A-and her surroundings wouldn't be the same ones she had seen every day! A-and she wouldn't have to fix her morning potions! A-and mom and dad wouldn't check on her! A-and...the girl wavered a little, her mind overheating with all of the worries of truly leaving home for the first time. She coughed a few times, nearly wheezing from the nervousness. NO! She had to remain calm! She had to regain her focus. She just had to be adventurous! Yes! She just had to go out there like all the heroines in her stories and do it! Yeah! All she had to do was not think about her home! Or her parents! Or her potion supplies. Or her books. Or everything she had ever known and loved in the world. She cleared her throat. "Um...m-maybe we should leave tomorrow? I-It's night now...a-and a good night's sleep is h-helpful for a journey..."
Lalita Chandra
 player, 13 posts
Wed 11 Jun 2014
at 13:34
Re: Freeport
"Don't worry guppy~" Lalita chirped, giving the elven girl a reassuring smile. "You've got all of us to look out for you. But the swordfish is right, we should be on our way. Glub."

Lalita wasn't so fond of traveling at night, but she knew the sooner they started their journey the better off they were and the world. She took a quick glance up at the sky. The stars were so beautiful tonight. In a way the girl felt a bit surprised of herself. Like the chubby guard, she was sure her colleagues were taking this time to reflect on the life they would soon leave behind. But Lalita, did not feel such notstalgia. Perhaps this was because she no longer had a home to look back on. No one waiting for her to come back safe and sound. "Otets..." she thought to herself. "Please be ok..."

This message was last edited by the player at 20:12, Thu 10 July 2014.

Lynessa Crescent
 player, 19 posts
Thu 12 Jun 2014
at 02:52
Re: Freeport
“S-Swordfish,” Lynessa stammered. She ran a hand through her blonde tresses and laughed sheepishly. “I suppose if I must be a fish, that would be the one I would choose.” She looked at Lalita, wondering what to think of the beast-kin. She didn't feel the same sense of mistrust she felt toward Jada, though perhaps that was only because Lalita had agreed with her suggestion.

“There isn't any reason we can't get a good night's rest on the road,” she replied to Lucinda. “If we only go a few miles out, the Guard will have us well covered, and we will see to your safety as well. We could get by with only a single person on watch at a time, and I could take yours tonight if you had to travel far to get here today.” Lynessa shrugged. “If we must stay here, I might be able to get beds at the garrison for most of you,” she glanced pointedly at Jada, “if you can't afford rooms. Either way, we should go see to our mounts tonight.”
Jada
 player, 19 posts
Thu 12 Jun 2014
at 03:55
Re: Freeport
Jada looked at Lynessa with displeasure, shaking his head before he spoke. "Fortunately that is of little consequence. I have no desire to stay at the garrison, nor do I intend to travel with you." He said managing to keep his tone mostly neutral despite his irritation. Turning to the others he continued. "I will be finding myself an inn tonight, rising at dawn, and departing the city by the north gate as soon as I can collect my horse. Anyone not wallowing in their prejudice is free to join me."
Lalita Chandra
 player, 14 posts
Thu 12 Jun 2014
at 04:09
Re: Freeport
Lalita didn't like where this was headed. Already there was tension between some of the other travelers, specially the swordfish and Jada. If they were going to be a team...well...maybe the fish-kin was jumping a bit there. But still, if they were to travel together a sense of trust needed to be established. "Whale if we are staying in the city tonight...I sink i'll go with Jada. I-im not shore how well people here will take to my...appearance. Glub..."
Lucinda Eravyn
 player, 64 posts
 Elf
 Alchemist
Thu 12 Jun 2014
at 04:22
Re: Freeport
Lucinda did not really understand the tension that was rising between the group. Those kind of veiled insults and complex group interactions were far above her social experience level, which was probably somewhere deep underground. All she cared about was that she was probably going home tonight! To her lab! And her bedroll! And her parents! And everything she knew and ever loved! It made her smile a little thinking of her room and all of its creature comforts. She really hoped this would work out and the rest of the people would go to the inn and she would get to go home. She waited and stared while smiling at the group. She had to stay for the moment to make sure they wouldn't leave without her.
Nikolai Grey
 NPC, 11 posts
Thu 12 Jun 2014
at 07:31
Re: Freeport
    The commotion of being granted such an important quest was clearly causing some strife between the would-be companions. Nikolai was no stranger to discourse but could clearly see this was neither the time nor the place for contention. He spoke up in a clear and cool voice, "Fellow adventurers, there is no need for mistrust or misplaced anger, the High Priestess herself gave unto each of you a piece of her VERY soul. The least we can do at this moment is steel ourselves for the coming days and accept each other regardless of our differences."

    The placid man looked from face to face with a long penetrating stare, "Each of you chose this destiny and came of your own accord, let us move forward together and see what the darkness holds. My vote is that we move tonight, every passing day is precious and the future of our beloved country lies upon our shoulders." With that he drifted into silence, and drew his cloak about him like a shield warding off the coming night.
Jerischo Elsinoir Addis
 player, 16 posts
 Will play music for Dosh.
 And Deeds 4 Cheap.
Thu 12 Jun 2014
at 17:56
Re: Freeport
Oh joy.  With friends like these, who needs enemies?  Those were Jerischo's actual thoughts as he heard the others bicker.  At this point, he had half a mind to rescind his willingness to go along with them, head for another town, try his luck there, and wave good-bye to the world.  No, that'd be irresponsible.  Still, that cat-beast was being obnoxious.  They had bigger issues, and if he wanted to run off on his lonesome, well, Jeri had learned a saying in all of it.

"Best way to die is to think yourself capable of everything," he muttered. Well, for all her lack of social graces or way with words, Lynessa was right about one thing, and that was the horses.  And Jerischo was VERY interested in the horses.  So much so that he simply walked by the others, heading for the horses.  "Where and when to sleep can wait. I for one am excited to meet our new equine friends~"
Devi McCain
 player, 79 posts
 Human
 Caster
Fri 19 Sep 2014
at 18:50
Re: Freeport
Nikolai spoke words that resonated well within Devi, the work that went into magic as strong as she had done to see them and then produce the items they all carried was nothing to laugh at, though she supposed most would have no real understanding of it (not that she did herself) with their total lack of magic. The only other one she expected to understand was Lalita, she had something that called to his blood about her, something familiar that she expected meant that she was the same as herself. She would need to speak with her at some point in private, away from the others.

Devi listened to the others bicker, while she would like to say she was disappointed she knew that groups pulled together from random walks of life tended to have problems like these, at the very least for the beginning. She was no mediator though and she didn't wish to act as one even if she was. With a displeased look on her face Devi added to Jerischo's words as she followed closely behind him, "I agree, horses first."

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:50, Fri 19 Sept 2014.

TheDudeAbides
 GM, 135 posts
Thu 12 Jun 2014
at 21:39
Re: Freeport
    As the group decided their next course of action, a man approached from the dimly lit street. He was powerfully built and broad shouldered, clothed in the traditional garb of a temple servant. He spoke up as he reached the group, "Nikolai Grey?" his tone was questioning and he spread his arms in a gesture of peace and goodwill. "My name is Johan Beltray, I have been sent by the church of light. Your presence is greatly needed by our order. " The man identified Nikolai almost instantly and moved quickly to his side. He whispered a few words in his ear and Nikolai handed him something. "I will go within the Temple and make amends with High Priestess Lismore. Nikolai, you must make with great haste to the town of Hanover." With that he strode past the group and onward towards the Temple of Light.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:42, Fri 13 June 2014.

Nikolai Grey
 NPC, 12 posts
Thu 12 Jun 2014
at 21:49
Re: Freeport
    Nikolai was clearly surprised by the strange words, but his dedication to the order was first in his mind. Whatever the man had whispered in his ear had moved him, he spoke to the group "Well friends, this is apparently where we part paths. Only the goddess knows what is in store for each of us. Perhaps in the coming days we will meet again." Taking long strides, he quickly distanced himself from the party. Before he was lost to sight, he turned and waved goodbye to the group and then was swallowed up by the darkness.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:26, Fri 13 June 2014.

Lalita Chandra
 player, 19 posts
Thu 12 Jun 2014
at 22:33
Re: Freeport
Lalita stood there surprise. One minute they were about to go off on their adventure and then the next, they lose a group member! The cleric too. For some reason, this fact made the  girl a little said. Though they hadn't gotten the chance to get to know one other, based on his words from earlier Nikolai seemed like a great man. It was a shame he was leaving so soon, however, whatever the church of light needed from him it must of been reely important. And so, just as the man was about to leave the fish-kin gave a small wave and preformed a motion of "good luck." Murmuring, "Until we meet again, Nikolai."

This message was last edited by the player at 00:50, Fri 13 June 2014.

Jerischo Elsinoir Addis
 player, 18 posts
 Will play music for Dosh.
 And Deeds 4 Cheap.
Fri 13 Jun 2014
at 02:49
Re: Freeport
The bard didn't say goodbye to the cleric;  he hadn't gotten to know him, and he'd never been one for the religious folk.  That much ought to have been clear.  He stepped lightly, his intent clear for all intents and purposes.  His voice rang out, though, something. . .odd.  Something compelling, something calming to any who could hear it, and something that urged listening.  Of course, he was only speaking about horses.  Nothing so important or relevant, right?

"You know what I like about horses?  They don't argue, they don't talk and judge you.  They wait until they get a true measure on you before whickering away, and they don't think it's a good idea to leave the herd.  Honestly, they make life so much simpler for each other."
TheDudeAbides
 GM, 154 posts
Fri 13 Jun 2014
at 02:52
Re: Freeport
    The sounds of singing and laughter still remained but as time passed, they began to dim. Slowly people began emerging, stumbling, from their favorite pubs out into the streets. Much of the light provided by the taverns and inns began to flicker away as guests either went home for the night or tucked in for a good nights rest. The temperature began to drop, evenings in early spring on the coast could become quite chilly. Without a fire, anyone caught standing about would eventually become quite uncomfortable.

    A street patrol passed by the group and one of the guards glanced warily at the strange group who was loitering near the entrance to the Temple of Light. "Oi! ya best be on yer way and not be causin any problems ya hear?" The guard raised his lamp and took a closer look at the group, he jumped slightly when he saw the unpleasant looks on their faces. "Well... just be on yer way..." He slinked back to the rest of the patrol and they shuffled off into the night.

1st day of the 2nd month: 10:00 PM.

Lalita Chandra
 player, 23 posts
Fri 13 Jun 2014
at 03:02
Re: Freeport
She was trying. She really was. But after listening to Jerischo and the guard, Lalita couldn't help but just laugh. It was all just too finny. "I-im sorry." she stuttered, trying to regain her composure. She let out one last giggle before looking around at all of them. "Look at us, not even out of the city and we're already carping like a bunch of fighting fish. Relax every guppy! Lets try this again. I sink we should get our horses and be on our way. We can make camp afterwards like swordfish suggested and if anyone doesn't feel like taking shifts, i'll be more than happy to keep watch throughout the night. I'm more of a night owl anywaves. What do you all sink?"

This message was last edited by the player at 12:35, Fri 13 June 2014.

Lucinda Eravyn
 player, 84 posts
 Elf
 Alchemist
Fri 13 Jun 2014
at 03:05
Re: Freeport
She wanted to be a dissenting opinion. She wanted to go home. She wanted to go back to her lab and sit down with her potions for another night. She wanted to say hello to her parents one more time before she left. She wanted to do a lot of things. B-but...if everyone else was just going...there was no way she knew better than them. No way in the world. "B-but home..." She managed to lightly mutter, probably too soft for anyone to hear. She frowned, knowing she wouldn't be able to convince anyone anyway.
Jada
 player, 28 posts
Fri 13 Jun 2014
at 03:10
Re: Freeport
With a slow deep breath, Jada gathered himself. His angry expression began to fade to more of a troubled one. "Nikolai is of course right. The best chance of stopping the darkness to the north is working together. However I don't want to be where I am unwelcome. Journeying while needing to watch my back from the people I should be trusting will not work."

This message was last edited by the player at 03:10, Fri 13 June 2014.

Lynessa Crescent
 player, 28 posts
Fri 13 Jun 2014
at 04:07
Re: Freeport
Lynessa folded her arms across her chest as Nikolai vanished into the night. Perhaps he was right. Perhaps she should give the High Priestess the benefit of the doubt and trust her judgment, even if she didn't trust Jada. She felt her cheeks flush in response to Jerischo's gentle scolding.

“I'm no backstabber,” she shot at Jada. She clenched her teeth. Suddenly she was twelve years old again, on her way home from what had passed as her father's funeral. What felt like a million eyes bored holes into her and her mother, the unspoken thought on everyone's mind echoed in her skull like a maniacal laugh. ”traitor... traitor... traitor...”. “I'm no traitor...”

She took a deep breath and let it out slowly. She needed to calm down, and though she was too prideful to admit it, Jada had a point. If they couldn't trust each other when things became dangerous their journey would likely end with them rotting somewhere in the North. “I may not be as agreeable as a horse, but I will not turn on my... allies.”

She nodded at Lalita. “We can decide on shifts when we set camp. You'll be exhausted the next morning if you don't rest at all.” She was eager to be out of the City. She was afraid that staying one more night in what had been home her whole life would make it that much harder to leave the next day.
Jerischo Elsinoir Addis
 player, 23 posts
 Will play music for Dosh.
 And Deeds 4 Cheap.
Fri 13 Jun 2014
at 04:19
Re: Freeport
Oh, the damned contrarians.  Jerischo was not having any of this.  He wanted his horse.  And so his final words were just that;  final.  They were directed as much at Jada and Lynessa as they were at the rest as his persuasiveness only grew.  Any with magical sense could feel something, albeit only slight, and only when he spoke.

"Horses don't MAKE trouble in their herds.  They just know when to be quiet and let it all work.  Horses snip, but they settle down, and they don't expect each other to backstab.  If they did, they'd be humans, beast-kin, and others.  They're horses, and I'm starting to like them more and more, the more I talk about them.  So how about a little game? Every 'I don't trust you' or 'I want to trust you but can't' I hear gets to participate in a little 'trust building exercise?'  That should make our herd nice and strong.  Or we can all just, you know, learn to put aside our differences."
Jada
 player, 29 posts
Fri 13 Jun 2014
at 04:30
Re: Freeport
"I can't put aside being what I am. However.. I'll have faith in those chosen by the priestess. I'll travel with everyone." He replied. "Now I don't see why everyone is set on troubling the stable master at this hour, but it seems that is what everyone wants, so let's be about it." He said, ready to follow the others to the stables.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:32, Fri 13 June 2014.

Lalita Chandra
 player, 26 posts
Fri 13 Jun 2014
at 13:25
Re: Freeport
Lalita heard the elven girls light mutter and took her hands, giving her a gentle smile as she said. "I understand it's hard but, if we stay... it'll only be that much harder to leave. Don't worry. We all have your back." The end of her sentence was more towards Jada than Lucinda. She looked up at the beast-kin and keeping a warm smile listened as everyone else began to speak.

She gave the swordfish a small nod. "Aye! Aye! Captain swordfish!" she shouted, hoping to get in a small laugh from anyone else in the group. These people were so stiff. The fish-kin could already tell she was going to have to teach them to loosen up.

Then Jerischo spoke. All of a sudden the guppy felt her eyes widen in disbelief. Wait...the bard...was he..? No. She must of been imagining things. But if so, what was this sudden feeling she felt when he spoke? She shook her head. Best to ask about it later. For now, they needed to be on their way.

When Jada let out another disheartening comment, Lalita frowned. She let go of Lucinda's hand and walking up to the beast-kin, poked him on the forehead. Or...at least tried to. "Alright Mr. Grumpy gills." She replied, sticking her tongue out at him childishly before turning to the rest of the group. "Onwards~ Glub."
Lucinda Eravyn
 player, 89 posts
 Elf
 Alchemist
Fri 13 Jun 2014
at 13:57
Re: Freeport
Lucinda blushed and flinched as the fish-kin held her hands. Wh-what was going on!? She wasn't used to such casual physical contact, after all, her parents always warned her about accidentally spreading acid around, and she certainly wasn't used to it with a stranger. She had shaken hands with other people before, b-but usually that was meant to finish off a business deal! H-had she accidentally made some bargain with Lalita!? As she heard the fishy girl's words, she figured that probably wasn't true. Maybe...she was trying to be nice? A-and encouraging? Lucinda understood that...but why was she holding her hands like that? In her books...people only held hands and encouraged eachother like that if they were lov- She tensed up and blushed redder than a beet. N-no way! Th-there was no way anybody- She moved forward very quickly, happy that the girl was no longer holding her. She pushed forward, hoping to outrun the terrifying thoughts.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:09, Fri 13 June 2014.

Devi McCain
 player, 79 posts
 Human
 Caster
Fri 19 Sep 2014
at 18:50
Re: Freeport
Nikolai had left them, on a mission for his order that he felt more important than the mission that they where partaking in. Perhaps it was best that he left if he felt this was of so little import as to run off doing errands for others when asked. With a shrug she was ready to continue moving on when the others continued to speak amongst themselves, arguing and being generally displeased with each others company. Devi was uninterested in it, and would have dismissed it to be on their way if it wasn't for Jerischo's words tugging at something in her, it was a feeling that was becoming all to common, that of another user.

Was this why the priestess had chosen them? Were they all in one way or another practitioners? Perhaps she did need to watch them more than she had thought, but then again she always watched those she traveled with as they were rarely the best of people. She shrugged as she continued on her way towards the stables, it wasn't something she wanted to worry about right now, they had a goal in front of them and it was time to move towards it rather than dillydallying about.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:50, Fri 19 Sept 2014.

Lynessa Crescent
 player, 31 posts
Sat 14 Jun 2014
at 02:04
Re: Freeport
Any magical properties in Jerischo's voice were completely lost on Lynessa, but his words got through well enough. The rest of the party seemed well enough. Even the fish girl. Maybe if she and Jada just kept their distance, things would work out.

“Captain, eh? It seems I've gotten a promotion.” Lalita's optimism was infectious, and even after such a rough start to things Lynessa couldn't keep the corner of her mouth for twitching into a smile. “The stables aren't far. Maybe we can still get our mounts without having to wake Alfonz fir- hey! Lucinda!” she watched the elven girl scamper ahead. “Huh... I wonder what has gotten into her.”
Jada
 player, 37 posts
Sun 15 Jun 2014
at 20:30
Re: Freeport
Jada didn't retreat from Lalita's gesture, but he did seem a bit bewildered by it. He was unaccustomed to physical contact outside of training, doubly so from strangers. He looked slightly crestfallen at her good-natured chiding, turning his attention inwards as he followed the others. The small fish-girl's words seemed to carry weight with him.

Jada had quickly learned to block out most others after starting his journey. However Lalita was inherently different. She wasn't just another human with an opinion to spit at him, she was a beast-kin like him, the first he had seen in person. And more importantly, she had been willing to trust and travel with him when he had hastily decided to not travel with Lynessa. He found himself realizing that unlike the countless people he had encountered on his way to Freeport, he cared if she thought ill of him.