Freeport - Temple of Light.   Posted by TheDudeAbides.Group: 0
TheDudeAbides
 GM, 6 posts
Sat 31 May 2014
at 08:17
Freeport
    The gate to the Temple of Light seemed strange and oddly out of place in the otherwise normal cityscape. Pillars of clear crystal jutted out from the earth and framed a large and foreboding iron-bound door. For nearly a millennium, the Temple had stood as a symbol of holiness and piety. Once, people used to travel from all across Linness to offer up their gratitude to Lilith. Despite its meticulously maintained appearance, the Temple is a mere shadow of its former glory.

    A cluster of guards wearing the silvery-blue tabard of the Temple stood at the gate. The men were caught up in what appeared to be a heated debate about the rising cost of weapons. The youngest of the guards was nearly shouting, "It's the blasted rumors coming down from up north I swear." A portly guard, his head bouncing vehemently, interjected fiercely, "them bloody dwarves be charging a finger and a 'alf for a shoddy piece of metal!" Their whinging continued on in this manner for quite some time; they were clearly upset and paid no mind to the casual observer.

    The evening was bright and the gentle breeze off the ocean kept the city smelling clean and fresh. The sun was steadily creeping overhead, and within a few hours would be hidden below the the western horizon. The air buzzed with a tangible finality, and caused the senses to tingle with an overwhelming feeling of foreboding. This was a day of great importance. The pacts formed today would impact the future of the world and echo, resounding, through the annals of time.


1st day of the 2nd month: 6:00 PM.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:54, Wed 11 June 2014.

Lucinda Eravyn
 player, 30 posts
 Elf
 Alchemist
Fri 6 Jun 2014
at 23:22
Re: Freeport
Lucinda took a deep breath as she walked down the street towards the old temple. To say this was a new experience would be a bit of an understatement. As her feet continued tapping on the old pavestones smoothened by thousands of pedestrians, her eyes looked around in curiosity as she smelled a rather eclectic mix of scents. Had the city always been like this? She admittedly had little experience with these areas, but she still thought that it was a rather different place than her lab. She almost missed the occasional clouds of chemical fumes, although she did notice that rather nostalgic smell coming from a few of the local alchemy shops. She also managed to sniff the extremely appealing scent of a local bakery shop, who, it seemed, had just a moment ago placed out rather sumptuous pastries. She felt the saliva collecting in her mouth from the sheer wondrous scent of the place, and her hand instinctively wandered to her coinpurse before she shook her head. She had to be serious about this! There was no time for distractions….no matter how delicious. She slurped and swallowed the saliva, slightly increasing her pace, despite it causing her to nearly run into a cart, to rid herself of the tantalizing delicacies. She continued walking down the city street for a time, examining the various shops displaying their items and keeping her distance from the barkers selling their various goods and especially the crowds surrounding them. It simply would not due for her to be distracted from her mission today. She squinted a little bit from the sun that was shining on her. She wasn’t used to walking outside for such long periods of time, she just hoped she wouldn’t experience the burns that the sun seemed to give those who worked in it. She supposed she had some ointment which would alleviate the injury, but she knew she had to save that for more pressing times. She wiped her brow as she finally spied the old temple. She felt what seemed like butterflies but were much more likely a mixture of psychological stress and chemical reactions in her stomach as she noticed the guards. It appeared she couldn’t just walk in so easily. What was she to do? She breathed a sigh of relief as she suddenly remembered the piece of paper that had been given to her and was currently stowed away in her backpack. She was supposed to use it here! She quietly thanked the guild for preparing her so well, it was quite the relief not to have to introduce herself like that.

She cleared her throat as she stepped up in front of the guards. She had to do this! All she needed to do was focus on the paper and she would be fine. She opened up her bag and pulled out a piece of rather fine parchment from an envelope. It was quite fine indeed she thought, it had a beautiful and ornate trim, and the actual feel of the paper was softer and smoother than anything she had ever used back at the lab. The lettering was sweet and meticulous as well, even her trained eyes couldn’t find any errant ink stains or missed strokes. It truly was quite impressive. She stared at it for a few more seconds before shaking her head slightly, reminding herself not to get distracted. She started reading the letter out loud, clearly trying to sound impressive but much more likely seeming a bit mousey. As she spoke, she made sure to keep the paper in front of her face as much as possible to avoid being nervous. “Greetings. The carrier of this message Lucinda Eravyn. She have come here on behalf of the Freeport Guild of Alchemists, Apothecaries, and Brewers. W-we have brewers? I guess that explains the alcohol…” She quickly shook her head, realizing she needed to regain her focus. “We are very much aware of the situation in the north, hereafter referred to as ‘The Darkening of the North,’ Due to the clear and present danger of the situation, we would like to state that we are quite concerned about it, and are currently doing our best to prepare a solution. However, without more proper data, an analysis of the situation is not presently possible. We have heard word that your organization has in its possession items which may allow one to safely approach this darkening. It is our humble request that you bequeath one of these items to the carrier of this letter, one Lucinda Eravyn. She is a fine girl, of good health and will surely be of excellent service in the investigation of this phenomena. She should be successful in her mission, even if she was not necessarily our first choice for the expedition given her lack of field experience. We are well aware that your items may be of great expense, and it is possible you do not wish to bestow one upon her based on her appearance or experience. If required, speak to Barnabus Finch at the Guild Office located on Baker Street for compensation. We here at the guild sincerely hope that you will grant our request. With luck, we will find some way to reverse or stop the darkening, or some way to survive it. Thank you and have a fine day.” She smiled a little awkwardly, apparently not noticing that she was supposed to give the men the letter rather than reading it aloud.
TheDudeAbides
 GM, 60 posts
Fri 6 Jun 2014
at 23:32
Re: Freeport
    The guards were taken aback as a young elf woman approached them and immediately began reading from a sheet of parchment. The youngest guard listened with interest, and as she finished chuckled slightly to himself, "Oi! relax pretty lady, you are the first of several expected here today." He pointed off to the left of the entrance, "You can wait over there until the rest show up."
He clearly felt as though his instructions were substantive enough, and promptly went back to arguing with the other guards. "Listen here ya big oaf, if it weren't for the blimey man beasts running around, Greenwood would be a perfect place to retire!" The discussion trailed off into unintelligible grunts and sudden outbursts of emotion.
Devi McCain
 player, 79 posts
 Human
 Caster
Fri 19 Sep 2014
at 18:55
Re: Freeport
Devi had come a long way after she had heard of the call for adventurers from the High Priestess herself. While she had only been to the Temple of Light once before with her Uncle to pay her respects on her sixteenth birthday (as was tradition in her family), she still remembered its  beautiful crystal construction clearly enough. Still the journey itself had been tiring, she had hiked the hidden pathways of the Greenwood, floated down the river and trod the road from Tiro on foot, having no need or want of a horse. The days had been long and hard, the nights cool and too short, and yet she would have it no other way.

Surprisingly enough the city of Freeport had changed little from her memory, sure some of the buildings had been fixed up, replaced or were in disrepair, but the streets, the sights and smells where the same as those in her memory. The pace she set with her long legs gave the brown-clad woman a sense of purpose as she strode down the streets with a soft clank as her staff touched the ground as she followed her memory (and the temples crystal pillars) towards her goal as she ignored the tantalizing aroma of sweet pastries and frying meat that set her mouth a watering that came from various stalls and shops on her chosen route.

When the tall woman finally arrived she strode up to the guards that were arguing about the reasons the Greenwood was not safe, blaming it on various things including beast-kin and the various thieves. Of course they left out the vicious animals and other inhabitants of the wood, and various other things that would cause "retiring" there to be a problem, but then again what would a city guard so far from the wood know about it?

Devi spoke up, her dulcet tones being a gruff bass in nature, "The Greenwood is no place for the old and feeble, regardless of the beast-kin or the lack of them in its confines." she pauses a moment before continuing, "I've come to answer the call." she assumed they would know what she meant and simply left it at that.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:55, Fri 19 Sept 2014.

TheDudeAbides
 GM, 64 posts
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 00:28
Re: Freeport
    The guards regarded the tall man with a sideways glance. "What we is talkin bout, be none of yer damn business" slurred a rather unpleasant looking guard. He raised a hand and pointed to the side of the great door, "Stand over there and wait yer turn." With that he turned back to his companions, joking about the brashness of the populous and complaining about their overall lack of respect for the temple guard.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:28, Sat 07 June 2014.

Lynessa Crescent
 player, 6 posts
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 02:33
Re: Freeport
It might have been any other day of her life. Lynessa often passed the shimmering glass pillars during the course of her week. The mingling scents of baked goods and meats, incenses and oils created something entirely unique, but familiar to Lynessa. It was the scent of Freeport, the smell of home. She was a daughter of the city, and it was as much a part of her as the blond hair that brushed her just about the small of her back or the blue eyes the hair framed.

It might not have been easy for her to accept the High Priestess' summons, there would be times in the coming days in which she regrets her decision, but the opportunity to contribute to something that could affect the fate of Linness itself was too much to pass up. The weight of Heirloom, the great broadsword slung across her back, would serve as a constant reminder of her purpose.

She stepped up to the guards behind a man that towered head and shoulders over her. She eyed him curiously, then turned her attention to the guards. She wondered if she knew them by name. It was unusual but not unheard of for the City Guard and the Temple Guard to work together. If she had met these two, she could not put names to faces.

“Lieutenant Lynessa Crescent,” she introduced herself. “I'm here in response to the High Priestess' call for adventurers.” Her hand disappeared into a satchel at her waist and withdrew a rolled parchment. “My papers, if you need proof of my identity,” she offered. She also carried a recommendation from Captain Awlgood, though she wondered if it would be necessary to show it.
TheDudeAbides
 GM, 66 posts
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 02:46
Re: Freeport
    The portly guard glanced up as the young female strode confidently up the stairs.
"Well well, what do we 'ave here?" His jowls quivered ever so slightly as he spoke. "Seems this young city guard is looking for adventure." He smiled cordially at her and waved her off to the side. "Stand over there miss, the High Priestess done gave us a list already and yer on it." His voice pined away to a whisper, almost as though he was talking to himself, "Dunno how she done it, blimey scary that one. She knows each of ye before ye showed yer faces."
Lucinda Eravyn
 player, 31 posts
 Elf
 Alchemist
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 02:55
Re: Freeport
Lucinda heard the last part and seemed a bit confused. How could she have known that the girl would come? Even the elf hadn't known she was coming until the day before, and it seemed that Adrian Roric, Alchemist Adventurer, would be the representative from the guild. How could she have known that he would send a currier to the guild informing them of his work keeping him busy at the Alheim ruins? How could she have known that Lucinda, who despite what the paper had said considered herself an average member, instead? Her parents had taught her many things, especially how there was always a logical explanation, always a cause to the effect. However, for her to describe this phenomenon she required more information. She cleared her throat, her curiosity overcoming her fear of the intimidating figures. "U-um..er..." Well, mostly anyway. "H-how long have you had this list w-with me on it?"
TheDudeAbides
 GM, 67 posts
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 03:02
Re: Freeport
    The chubby guard eyed the young elf suspiciously. "Well now that's a strange question... I believe I got this 'ere list when I was assigned post about two weeks ago." He looked at his fellow guards for affirmation and they nodded in response. "Yup, two weeks ago miss." He turned his attention back to the group of guards, apparently they were now speaking of their favorite local brothels. The youngest of the guards was quickly turning a scarlet hue.
Jerischo Elsinoir Addis
 player, 5 posts
 Will play music for Dosh.
 And Deeds 4 Cheap.
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 03:06
Re: Freeport
The push of the crowds in the city were comforting to the man, who pulled his hat down as he wove his way through it all.  If anyone was tailing him, he hadn't spotted them, and he certainly went out of his way to check every once in a while, sometimes subtly, sometimes not-so-subtly.  A few times he slipped into alternate routes as he made his way towards the temple that had only just recently become such an important objective for him.  As he slipped his way out of the last alley that he'd slunk into, he rejoined the crush of people, and stopped in his tracks.

The temple was, even though he'd heard of it, had seen it through the crowds, still a sight to him with a clear view.  Certainly something worthy of remembering, and in his opinion, maybe even writing down something about it.  He began reaching for his little journal, when a movement in the crowd caught his eye, and his priorities shifted back to his immediate goal.  Where the temple was, there was hope, and where there was hope, there were guards.  Oh, and that whole quest-thing too.  That sounded fun.  Risky, but less risky than his current situation.

The man slunk out of the crowd, his little shoulder cloak flapping and his rucksack slapping on his back.  He stopped and used a nearby window to check himself, before finally walking right up towards those forbidding gates and beautiful columns.  He put on his most charming, innocent smile as he approached the guards, trying not to stare at the others who seemed to be gathering there.  He inwardly kicked himself for having no real documentation at all. Hopefully "good intentions" would be enough.

"I don't suppose that whole 'adventurers wanted' thing includes travelers with good will, does it?  I uh, I didn't really know there was documentation needed. . ."  He tilted his hat back, and his pleasant green eyes and smile shone for a moment as he scratched his head.  This was it.  It all was riding on this.  "Jerischo Elsinoir Addis, a traveling. . .musician and adventurer, if I may offer my services."  The mention of the list almost broke his composure.  Oh gods, if they had a list, he was screwed.  Oh please let there be SOMETHING that he could do, or say. . .
TheDudeAbides
 GM, 68 posts
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 03:15
Re: Freeport
    The young guard, his face red and mannerisms clearly flustered, simply pointed to the group that was slowly amassing besides the great iron door. "Ya... you must be this Jerischo fellow. Stand over there and don't do anything ridiculous." Nudging the fat guard next to him he gestured at the brazen lad and whispered something in his fellow guards ear. Turning back to Jerischo he said, "The High Priestess is AWARE, and gave us explicit instructions regarding who we allow in... YOU are ON the list." He was clearly putting emphasis on the fact that the young bard was to be allowed in, as if it was something surprising.
Lucinda Eravyn
 player, 32 posts
 Elf
 Alchemist
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 03:24
Re: Freeport
Two weeks ago!? How could she have possibly figured out everyone who was going to be here that long ago? It was quite the puzzle actually, one very difficult to solve. Perhaps she has some sort of information network? Perhaps she had been gathering information on the various comings and goings. Perhaps she knew that Roric was going to be busy from some sort of spy or contact, and had looked at the list of alternative options. The guard was simple enough, she seemed to be a relatively famous one judging by their reactions. Perhaps this priestess was merely very good at predictions? It was most curious. She would have to ask her as soon as she got in.
Devi McCain
 player, 79 posts
 Human
 Caster
Fri 19 Sep 2014
at 18:53
Re: Freeport
Devi listened to the guards reply and simply nodded in reply before she strode off to the door indicated rather than responding, that guard would fit right in down in Westvale, though most of his companions wouldn't last very long (not before changing for the worse anyway).

She watched the others as they arrived and spoke to the guards and took their appearances in, her eyes lingered on the small pale elf girl dressed in fine clothing with various vials and other alchemical accruements about her waist. Someone well versed in their use it would seem, or an addict, though with the well-to-do clothing and her showing up here for the call that seemed rather unlikely.

Her gaze then moved on to the armored woman with a sword on her back that looked more like something a man of his size should be wielding than the small frame it was attached to that had arrived after her. She had eyed Devi curiously for a moment before introducing herself to the Temple Guardians as Lieutenant Lynessa Crescent, an officer then. Hopefully she would not have been given her position simply by virtue of family name or wealth, though one could rarely tell on first meeting if that was the case.

The last person she looked over was a traveler carrying a lute and wearing a fanciful hat that introduced himself as a well-meaning traveling adventure/musician. She had meet a few like him before, his kind wasn't very uncommon in Devi's neck of the woods, and they always paid well enough to be spirited away when their welcome had been worn perhaps a little too thin.

All in all it was turning out to be an odd group, though she wondered how many more would be arriving as she doubted that this small group would be all that answered the Priestess call. Devi's gaze returned to the crystal facade of the Temple and wondered how it would look from the outside if she were to utilize her magic from inside. The light show that went on at night from simple moon and starlight was something to behold, at least in her memories of the place from all those years ago.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:53, Fri 19 Sept 2014.

Lalita Chandra
 player, 5 posts
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 15:31
Re: Freeport
Lalita couldn't believe her eyes as she walked through the city of Freeport, making her way towards the Temple of light. The buildings, the people, smells and sights. It was all so beautiful! And yet, even in a grand city such as this, she had to keep herself hidden from sight. For her appearance was sure to cause suspicion amongst the citizens and more than anything what the girl wanted, was to avoid as much trouble as possible IF it was possible. Therefore, so to hide her figure as well as her beast-traits the girl wore a long dark colored robe. "Just stay calm..." she thought to herself, "Everything will be ok.."

In truth, the girl wasn't so sure. What if she was denied to venture off with the other adventurers? What would she do then? Return home? Not possible. There was nothing for her there and the voices...no. She needed to do this. Now with the temple in plain sight, Lalita couldn't help but drop her jaw in awe. It was beautiful! Truly a work of art. She noticed a couple guards up ahead, beside them a small group of strange characters that she could only assume were adventurers that had also answered to the call.

She walked up to the guards, trying to keep her voice steady as she gave them a small smile. "Greetings, my name is Lalita Chandra Volkove. I-I have come in answer to the call." Tarn it!  She was letting her nervousness show. Maybe they didn't notice her stutter, she needed to stay calm.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:46, Sat 07 June 2014.

Jada
 player, 6 posts
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 16:19
Re: Freeport
Making his way thought the city was a slow affair for Jada. Besides the crowds, the city itself was much too fascinating for him to push through the masses towards his destination. Instead he traveled leisurely taking in the sights and smells as he walked; the complexity and number of them were almost overwhelming at times. People of course stared openly at him, some going as far to spit curses him. Fortunately none seemed like they wanted to fight today, so he payed little attention to them as he wandered the streets looking for the Temple of light.

As Jada finally arrived in front of the Temple of Light, he stopped to take in the sight. Despite his impassive expression, the beast-kin's tail swayed from side to side as he studied the grand structure. A sneeze broke his reverie and brought his attention back down to the gates and those gathered before it. He noted the group's varied attire, race, and demeanor, however he did not know enough about the world to place much meaning in the differences. Beyond guards and not guards, everyone there just seemed like city-folk.

Remembering the possibility that he might be expected to shake someone's hand, he shifted his traveling sack to his left hand and shoulder before approaching. "I am Jada. If the stories are true that the high priestess is seeking warriors for a dangerous mission against the growing darkness, then I would like to volunteer myself." He stated flatly to the nearest temple guard.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:00, Sat 07 June 2014.

TheDudeAbides
 GM, 69 posts
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 18:57
Re: Freeport
    The unpleasant guards face turned to a nasty snarl as the two beast-kin approached. He turned to his fellow guards and lowered his voice, "Doesn't matter how many times I sees em, gives me the creeps every time..." His voice trailed off as the beast-kin entered hearing range. The youngest guard, less disturbed by the rare sight of a swinging tail or fish gills waved them over to the side, "Join the rest of yer fellow adventurers." The guards looked over an official looking list and discussed among themselves for a moment in hushed tones. The young guard spoke again, "seems we just be waiting on one more then we can head on inside."