Freeport - Temple of Light.   Posted by TheDudeAbides.Group: 0
Nikolai Grey
 player, 8 posts
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 19:01
Re: Freeport

The sharp sounds of metal and the waving of cloth in the wind mixed together the lightly armored priest made his way through town. Nikolai could see up ahead that many of his soon-to-be companions had already arrived. They appeared to be a diverse bunch, and a couple of them even looked vaguely familiar, suggesting they were also Freeport natives like himself. He had heard that they had all been summoned here, which technically he had as well. Being part of the clergy, however, he had heard about this calling and had volunteered himself almost immediately, only afterwards discovering he was being summoned anyways. Perhaps it was because he was the youngest of the local priests and they thought he stood a better chance at surviving or perhaps the High Priestess had other reasons. Supposedly, she possessed certain powers and abilities that had once been common among Lilith's chosen, though Nikolai had never seen her himself. Either way, some part of him was a bit nervous that maybe she knew about him and how he had been having doubts lately...

Arriving at the gate, Nikolai simply nodded to the guards, having seen them before but not knowing them by name. "Gentlemen, it would seem I'm late. I apologize." he offered a simple greeting before stepping aside with the others. He studied them each in turn for a moment, attempting to discern what each of them were doing here. Some it was obvious, some he wasn't sure, but that wasn't terribly surprising. After all, how many people would look at him with half suit of armor and a spear strapped to his back and inherently know he was a priest? What was interesting to him was the presence of beast-kin among their ranks. Nikolai did not share the suspicion and fear of their kind that many humans did. Whether it was from his training in the clergy to serve any who sought aid or simply an innate open-mindedness, he wasn't sure, but it had never bothered him one way or the other.

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:05, Sat 07 June 2014.

Lucinda Eravyn
 player, 33 posts
 Elf
 Alchemist
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 19:17
Re: Freeport
Lucinda looked around at the gathered group, apparently the people who would serve as her escort on the expedition. They were a rather eclectic group. She wasn't entirely sure what to think of them yet. She backed away a little bit. Meeting new people wasn't exactly something she was used to after all. It always unnerved her even on the rare occasions that it actually happened. There was a rather stately looking guard. She seemed interesting enough, almost like the heroines in some of her stories. The fishwoman was a rather curious character as well, she had never seen a beastkin, let alone one of the aquatic variety. They were known for being especially rare, and she knew it was quite the experience to be meeting one in person. The mysterious robed man she did not know what to think about. He seemed to be some sort of forester, which she supposed would be quite helpful on the journey to come. She was frankly confused about why a musician would be coming along with them. She had never had much experience with music, but according to her parents she wasn't missing out much. According to them musicians were all lazy, incompetent charlatans. She just hoped maybe he would be able to carry food or something. Then there was the giant beast kin. She made sure to shy away from him. He could probably snap her in two if he had the desire. And then she stared for a moment at the final member of her escort, some sort of armored warrior. He seemed familiar with the guards here at the gate, perhaps he was some sort of temple guard as well? It would be logical for one of them to be accompanying the expedition, given that they were making it possible. She just hoped that none of them would try to hurt her. After all, her parents did warn her about not trusting anyone.
Jerischo Elsinoir Addis
 player, 6 posts
 Will play music for Dosh.
 And Deeds 4 Cheap.
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 19:53
Re: Freeport
The musician, as everyone seemed to call him, seemed far more comfortable and confident, now that he was amongst the group.  Indeed, if he were surprised at the mention of his name on a list that was supposedly predicted, he didn't show it.  He eyed each new traveling companion, analyzing each.  The girl, the town guard, looked able, and that pretty elf with all the bottles, the chemyst or alchemist...well, provisions would always be important, and that was nice.  The two beast-kin, he eyes with a bit more hesitation;  one of their names had set him off, and he didn't like how it had.  He wasn't sure why, either.

Mercifully the arrival of a priest of all things distracted him. He didn't pay too much to that one, because he'd already wandered onto the tall man.  Strange one, he was.  Wasn't sure what to make of most of them yet.  Once he had a read, he'd be able to do his part well.  He already knew what that was.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:59, Sat 07 June 2014.

TheDudeAbides
 GM, 71 posts
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 19:59
Re: Freeport
    The guards seemed relieved when the seventh and final member of the would-be heroes approached the gate. The portly guard was bouncing about excitedly, "Very soon, very soon, off to see the mistress of light!" He turned about and with a grand gesture threw open the iron-bound doors to the Temple. The inside of the temple was a glorious sight to behold. The shimmering structure had an otherworldly appeal and trapped the light as though it would never let it go; captured forever within the living crystal. The guard slowly and ceremoniously led the group forward along a shockingly well lit corridor.

    Looking about them, the faces of the group reflected back as broken shards and distorted visages. As they approached the end of the hall, it opened up into a large cavernous room; the grand chamber of the High Priestess of Light. Lismore, the final living priestess and earthly manifestation of her holiness Lilith the Goddess of Light lay upon an alter of crystal. The epicenter of a thousand beams of light, the alter was ablaze with a holy glow and burned the eyes to look directly upon.

    The frail form of a woman slowly rose from the altar and looked out across the expanse of glowing crystal. A slight smile cracked her lips and she spoke in a tone so low and faint that the adventurers had to strain to hear her. "Greetings fair heroes: Nikolai the light bringer, Lucinda the resourceful, Jada the solitary, Lynessa the redeemer, Jerischo the passionate, Devlin the ambitious and Lalita the lonesome..." She paused, a hand maiden rushed to her side proffering a small glass of water which she gratefully accepted and sipped ever so delicately. "I have been waiting", a small cough issued from her lips and her delicate body seemed to tremble.

    Her arm raised and a long finger pointed to a simple crystal stand in front of the group, "You will find a talisman for each of you upon that stand, I have seen this day in my dreams and have obeyed the instructions of my Goddess. Of myself I have given all", she coughed again, the strain of speaking was becoming very apparent. "May the talismans aid you in your journey and protect you from the everlasting night." Her shoulders slumped forward and she looked as though she might fall from the altar. A group of guards and hand maidens rushed forward to catch her frail form. She looked up at the group and whispered a silent prayer to Lilith; her eyes slowly closed and her breathing became slight. The chubby guard who had guided the group into the chamber grumbled  and hurriedly wiped a tear from his creased faced, "Go get yer things and be on yer way, the Priestess be fading from the world of man." He gently pushed them forward and waited their return.

Your eyes are instantly drawn to a particular item in the pile, you see:

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:45, Thu 03 July 2014.

Jerischo Elsinoir Addis
 player, 7 posts
 Will play music for Dosh.
 And Deeds 4 Cheap.
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 20:31
Re: Freeport
Jerischo the Passionate?  Really?  That's what she saw in him?  Goddess of light, was she reading into things a bit much.  Well, if that's what they saw, that was fine.  They were right enough, he guessed.  He eyed the high priestess with his peripheral as he reached for his proffered item.  Such a frail thing.  He didn't really believe in all the prophecy junk, but she clearly did, and the effects it seemed to be having upon her body were both fascinating and disturbing to him.  Someone in her condition should've been lying in bed, trying to heal, not greeting the supposed "heroes" who would save the world. Was she "hanging on" just to see them? Did she really have that much faith in them?  That was intriguing to him on a level that he usually never even considered.  He stopped for a moment, hesitant, before pocketing the item away, and returning back towards the entryway.  He eyed the others as well, trying to see what the made of all this.  He himself had no idea, in all honesty.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:32, Sat 07 June 2014.

Lalita Chandra
 player, 6 posts
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 21:12
Re: Freeport
Lalita couldn't help but admire the High Preistess. Even in her weakened state, she was filled with faith. Faith in her goddess and faith in them. How unfortunate such an extraordinary person would be leaving this world so soon.  Upon hearing the titles given to each adventurer, the beast-kin couldn't help but feel slightly disappointed in the one the High Priestess had given her, Lalita the lonesome. It sounded so...sad. Well, she supposed she was in a way. After all, the only person who ever cared for her left without a word. But she wasn't going to let that get her down. Nope! She was going on an adventure! She was actually going to travel the world and perhaps even save it from the Darkening. Indeed, there was no room for sadness. The fish-kin suddenly became inwardly excited.

Among looking at the talismans before them, Lalita took the one that stood out to her the most. A simple blue band. Though others might see it as plain, to the guppy it shrimply was beautiful. She placed the bracelet  around her wrist and looking towards the High Priestess whispered, "Thank you." Before turning around and following the musician  towards the entry way.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:32, Mon 09 June 2014.

Lucinda Eravyn
 player, 34 posts
 Elf
 Alchemist
Sat 7 Jun 2014
at 22:27
Re: Freeport
Lucinda's eyes widened as she saw the beautiful interior of the temple. Just what was it made of? The properties of reflecting light were similar to sunstone, but the crystalline form was simply too beautiful. If only she could make something that beautiful one day. She looked down. Maybe in hundreds of years. If ever. She shook her head as she walked deeper into the temple. She listened to the words of the priestess as intently as she could. S-something had to be wrong with the priestess. She had seen Lucinda in her dreams!?  H-how!? She had never even gone this way before! She could count the number of people that had actually met her on one hand! H-how could this lady dream about her? She said the goddess willed it...but could that really be true? Why would a goddess choose her? She was weak and stupid. She barely knew about anything other than alchemy and she had spent her entire life in a basement. How could she be expected to succeed in a journey like this? How could this priestess, who seemed far more worthy than Lucinda, give up anything for someone as useless as her? She thought about all of her failed experiments and attempts at learning as tears began to well in her eyes. Th-this wasn't fair. Her eyes widened more as the woman started to fall down, seemingly dying. No! She couldn't die...not now! She had to take back that nice little talisman! Lucinda didn't deserve it! The elven girl rushed over to the priestess and fumbled through her pack, pulling out a healing potion. "P-please...d-drink this!" She said while putting the potion to the woman's mouth. "Y-you have to....I-I'm going to save you....a-and you can take this back..." She held the bracer as she tried to open the priestess's mouth and pour the potion.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:27, Sat 07 June 2014.

Devi McCain
 player, 79 posts
 Human
 Caster
Fri 19 Sep 2014
at 18:51
Re: Freeport
Devi followed behind the portly guard her eyes wandering about the temple taking in it's sights. The light was something else entirely, and it was something she was sure she would want to hold onto when they ventured out into the darkness. She ran an index and pinkie finger ever so lightly across the crystal as she walked behind the guard watching each of their faces and distorted reflections as if she might see something important in them. With her discovery of her skills she had come to believe wholeheartedly in the existence Goddess and her power, after all if she was able to do what she did how could she doubt?

Devi listened to the High Priestess and, turning her head to the left and leaning forward slightly on her staff to catch the words she was speaking. She nodded as she named each of them memorizing what she had called them, when she spoke her name she had a slight puzzled smile on her face. She supposed it was an accurate enough description, though she wouldn't have put it as such, that meant that the others were likely as accurate as her, after all how would one find out of the ambitions of a woman living as she had?

When she spoke of the Talismans on the stand Devi's gaze was drawn to one in particular, a simple thing a small glowing crystal on the end of a rather plain chain. She reached out with her left hand and picked it up and let the chain run through her fingers before she leaned her staff against her chest and slid it on around his neck carefully.

She wondered if perhaps she could give her a gift before she departed in return, as a priestess of the light would her abilities not be comforting? Before she was able to come to a decision the small elf girl rushed forward, and began to attempt to force feed her a potion drawn from her pack claiming it would heal the dying woman. While she doubted it would work, she stepped off to the side so as to be out of the way of the others should they wish to intervene, leave or take their own talisman. She would wait to see the outcome of this unfolding event before she made her own decision on a course of action.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:51, Fri 19 Sept 2014.

Lynessa Crescent
 player, 9 posts
Sun 8 Jun 2014
at 07:04
Re: Freeport
”Lynessa the redeemer? That is accurate enough,” Lynessa thought. She glanced at her companions, wondering what their stories were, how accurately the High Priestess had named their titles. She tried to glean some insight from what the Priestess had called them, but in almost every case came up blank. She guessed that the beast-kin were the “lonesome” and the “solitary”, based on how rare they were. ”And based on what I have heard of them, I'd do well to keep a close eye on those two. The tall one especially looks like he could be dangerous if he decides to turn on us.”

She approached pile of artifacts and was immediately drawn to a small black ring. The sight of it struck a chord somewhere deep within her, and when she picked it up she somehow knew it was meant for her. The fit was perfect as she slid it upon her finger. ”She knows that I want to redeem my family's name, and even the size of my finger.” Just how much had the High Priestess' magic told her about them, and before any of them had even met. How long in advance had she known about this encounter? Weeks? Months? Had she known about it for as long as she'd had the use of her gift? Lynessa shuddered. The realm of magic was well beyond her. It was taxing to think about, she could only imagine how taxing it must be to actually command such power.

A commotion back toward the High Priestess broke her thoughts. She turned just in time to see the elven girl rush forward and insist that the High Priestess take her potion. In her mind's eye, Lynessa could see the Temple Guard overreacting to the elf's apparent kindness and throwing the poor girl in jail. Or worse. It wouldn't do to have one of their party killed or arrested before they'd even left the Temple. Besides, the elf's concern seemed genuine. Lynessa didn't think she should be punished for that. She quickly stepped up behind the elf and gave her shoulder a firm but gentle squeeze and tried to pull her back away from the Priestess before the guards pounced.

“The High Priestess looks as if she needs to rest. Maybe if you left your potion with her hand maidens, they can see to her drinking it,” she suggested.
Lucinda Eravyn
 player, 36 posts
 Elf
 Alchemist
Sun 8 Jun 2014
at 08:08
Re: Freeport
Lucinda was a rather slight, light girl, and she found herself easily pulled back by the much more physically able guardswoman. She whimpered a little bit, surprised by the action. She couldn't really say anything in response though. The other girl was probably right anyway. It was the handmaiden's job to do that sort of thing after all, and it's not like Lucinda was a physician or anything. She had just wanted to help. She handed the potion over to one of the handmaidens without saying another word. H-had she screwed up again? It certainly looked like it. She coughed a couple of times. Oh dear...when she got all nervous like this sometimes it made her throat act up. She coughed lightly a couple more times before taking a deep breath. She looked at the item she had picked up again. It was a rather pretty thing, a leather bracer with loops built in to hold potions. It was a rather small one she had to admit. Her mind focused on it for a little bit, examining it. It looked actually rather comfortable, almost as if...she absentmindedly attached it to her wrist. It fit perfectly! A-and it was clearly built for an alchemist! A-and it even fit her clothes! H-how could she have had such a perfect gift prepared? A-and even more importantly why? Why her? Why Lucinda? Why wasn't it for someone else? Someone useful! She shuddered. Gosh, the pressure was mounting and she wasn't sure she could handle it. She coughed more. God...she was embarrassing herself now.
Lalita Chandra
 player, 8 posts
Sun 8 Jun 2014
at 14:18
Re: Freeport
"Are you alright, guppy?" Came Lalita's voice behind the two girls. The fish-kin after seeing the elf rush to the priestess couldn't help but stop and turn around to watch the events that soon came afterwards. She walked back over to the other girls and noticing the embarrassed look on the elven girls face, smiled. "What you did was very kind, do not fret. You did a good deed. Glub."
Jada
 player, 8 posts
Sun 8 Jun 2014
at 16:13
Re: Freeport
Jada nodded before moving aside to join the other 'adventurers'. Despite the guards' soft tones, it was hard for Jada not to overhear some of their conversation. So my name is on a list? I suppose I did give it at the city gate.. still seems a bit odd. He thought as he glanced over the other adventurers once more. This time his gaze lingered on Lalita before moving on.

Once the last person arrived, they had been expecting an exact number?, Jada followed the rest inside the temple. The temple was a welcome exit from the distracting din of the city and its endless smells. The sight of the building's interior was well worth the pains of travel, he concluded as he admired the beautiful scene. Soon they entered the grand chamber and the radiant glory of the priestess commanded his full attention. He squinted as he tried to take in the high priestess' form.

He listened patiently as the priestess gave her short address. Solitary? Really? She may not mean it as insult, but it seems far from a compliment. I hope they don't expect me to take that as a title. He thought before looking towards the assortment of items. His eyes quickly locked onto a leather manacle. For some reason the idea of a restraint resonated with the curses people liked to throw at him. What was it the farmer had said? Best-kin like me should be muzzled like the animals they are? He recalled as a lingering anger stirred within him.

The priestess' stumble and the resulting scramble brought Jada back to the present. I am being childish. She invested her essence into these objects so we might have a chance against the darkness; each is incredibly valuable. And even if they do wish to insult me, I have my duty to fulfill regardless. He concluded with deep breath as he calmly moved forward to the collection of items, picking up the manacle as a penance for his ill thoughts. Not sure what to do with the item, he simply held it in hand as he moved back to the entrance to wait for the group to be escorted out.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:13, Mon 09 June 2014.

Lucinda Eravyn
 player, 37 posts
 Elf
 Alchemist
Mon 9 Jun 2014
at 01:43
Re: Freeport
She nodded at the woman's words absentmindedly. Inwardly she was still nervous and worried. How could she be expected to do something this important? How could this priestess have put it on her? How could a goddess think that she could do it? She knew she would fail.
TheDudeAbides
 GM, 76 posts
Tue 10 Jun 2014
at 00:09
Re: Freeport
    The chubby guard waited patiently as the party members approached the altar and selected their individual items. He raised an eyebrow questioningly towards the one that had arrived last, Nikolai. Perhaps he needs a moment, this is a dangerous task they are accepting, he mused to himself. Apparently he considered the wait ample time, the guard pushed the tentative man towards the stand. "Come on lad, can't keep the priestess waiting all day. It's getting dark outside and my shift be  ending."

    The young elf had seemed particularly distraught over the ailing priestess and had attempted to give her a potion. The guards-woman had interjected, probably for the better, and the two had withdrawn back to where the jiggly guard was standing. "I've got vouchers for the lot of ye, they are meant to be exchanged with the stable master at the gates. The kingdoms finest horses, one for each of ye. It's all her doing," He gestured at the priestess and it looked like he might cry again. Reaching into the pouch at his side, he produced seven colorful sheets of parchment. "Present these to the stable master, Alfonz, and he will handle sortin ye out with saddles an whatnot. " He handed the sheets to the large beast-kin who was standing near him. "Here ye go fluffy, ye can sort this out with yer new companions." With that he crossed his arms and waited on the final member to return from the stand.
Jada
 player, 9 posts
Tue 10 Jun 2014
at 02:39
Re: Freeport
"They-" Jada started. They aren't my companions.  ..but I can pass out papers all the same. Setting his sack down for the moment, he threaded the drawstring through the manacle, letting it slide down unto the sack. Lifting his luggage over this left shoulder with his left hand, he took the papers with his right. "I'll see it done. Please give my thanks to the High Priestess." He replied before turning to those already ready to depart. No one mentioned companions, or horses. I hope this was worth coming this far south.

Once each of the party was done receiving their items and had made their way back towards the entrance, Jada approached each one in turn. "Here is a voucher from the priestess for a horse. Give it to stable master Alfonz at the city gate." He repeated with a disinterested tone while holding out the stack of vouchers for each person to take from.
Lucinda Eravyn
 player, 38 posts
 Elf
 Alchemist
Tue 10 Jun 2014
at 03:28
Re: Freeport
Lucinda nervously approached the giant beastkin. He was big. As in, quite large. Much larger than anyone she had ever met, even if that list was quite small. In fact, he was probably larger than anyone she had ever heard of. And judging by the man's muscle, it was clearly not for show. He was a man who could have easily intimidated someone with the bravery and constitution of a raging boar. She had something closer to the bravery and constitution of a frightened doe. Thus, she was afraid of the man simply by looking at him. She gulped, realizing if this man had to be her escort on a journey she frankly didn't deserve to be on, she would have to be able to stand next to him. Shuddering, she slowly walked up to him and pulled out a voucher before immediately hiding behind the guardswoman.
Lynessa Crescent
 player, 10 posts
Tue 10 Jun 2014
at 03:35
Re: Freeport
Lynessa took the voucher from the tall beast-kin, eying him warily the whole time.  “A horse. For riding,” she told him, very pointedly as if she thought he might not know what civilized folks did with the beasts.

She folded the voucher and slipped it into the pouch at her waist. The High Priestess, it seemed, had seen to it that they would be well prepared for the journey. It was heartening, and gave her faith that her companions had been chosen wisely. She turned toward the elven girl.

“You have not spent much time in the city.” Though it was just a guess on her part, Lynessa said it as if it were a statement of fact. “It's dangerous to move so suddenly at someone who is surrounded by guards, even if you have good intentions,” she cautioned gently. “Remember, guards are paid to... well... guard. If they think that who or whatever they're protecting is being threatened, they'll act first and try to sort out the details later.” She offered a smile, hoping she didn't sound threatening. The elven girl seemed so timid, and Lynessa didn't want to frighten her. ”And, I may have need of her potions before this is over,” she thought.

“I'm Lynessa Crescent,” she introduced herself loud enough for the gathered party to hear. “It seems like we'll be spending some time together. It'll make things easier for all of us if we know each other by name.”
Lucinda Eravyn
 player, 44 posts
 Elf
 Alchemist
Tue 10 Jun 2014
at 04:12
Re: Freeport
Oh dear. Introductions. She was never really good at them. She supposed it was because she didn't have that much practice. The nice old man at the alchemy supply shop already knew her name, and it was a rather surprising day when someone she didn't recognize came down into her atelier. She thought for a moment about what she should mention in her introduction. Perhaps she should give a brief overview of her alchemical accomplishments? No, although her parents had told her that everybody should certainly notice and appreciate them, the guildmaster had told her not to bore people with the details of her research. Her parents were probably right, after all, they were never wrong about anything, but the guildmaster's warnings scared her enough that she didn't want to risk it. After all, she didn't want to look like some boring old busybody right? B-but alchemy was all she had! If she couldn't mention that, what could she talk about? She fidgeted a little and twiddled her finger as she dug through the mountains of information in her mind. All of her alchemy books wouldn't help her here, but perhaps one of those stories she had read? Yes! The one with the cute alchemist girl! Escha! She was, although fictional, one of Lucinda's heroines. She was super smart and talented, and she always was happy and introduced herself well. Everybody she met loved her, even if she was a little clumsy sometimes. Escha always introduced herself with a smile and an adorable pose, so that's just what Lucinda had to do!

She took a deep breath and tried to smile widely. Although she certainly should have had an A for effort, her shyness and timidity led the gesture to devolve into a mere imitation of a smile, a tiny little curving of her lips. She tried to give a cute wave, but all that occurred was some bizarre, robotically rigid movement. "L-L-Lucinda E-e-eravyn! A-Alchemist Extraordinaire!" She said a bit too loudly. It was probably a blessing that the girl didn't entirely notice what she had just done. An outside observer would guess that she had perhaps five or ten seconds before the inevitable realization and embarrassment.
Devi McCain
 player, 79 posts
 Human
 Caster
Fri 19 Sep 2014
at 18:52
Re: Freeport
Devi just watched the events unfold before her with a look of mild interest upon her face as she waited leaning on her staff. She found it interesting that the guard cared enough to cry but was also worried about getting out of there on time, it was just odd to her, then again for all she knew that guard meant to spend his time here or simply knew that there was nothing to be done for the High Priestess and didn't wish to waste his time. She shrugged mentally and continued to wait.

When the portly guardsmen called Jada the large and fairly fierce looking beast-kin fluffy the corner of Devi's mouth tweaked upwards for a moment. She watched as Jada approached the others in turn offering them the vouchers she found it amusing that Lucinda was frightened and Lynessa was distrustful, of course she didn't have all that much experience with beast-kin, but she knew that most of the stories where false for the most part and she trusted that the High Priestess had not choose one of the bad ones for their journey, not with the ability to see each individual from at least two weeks out if not longer. "Such a shame I can't learn from her, I'm sure she would have much to teach me." She thought to herself.

As Devi was fixing to take her own voucher Lucinda introduced herself in a rather odd manner, the only two conclusions that Devi could come to was that she was rather sheltered or that she was damaged, which meant on the road she would likely slow them down. She understood the others introducing themselves, while she had been the second to arrive and was able to figure Lucinda's name before she gave (she being the only one she didn't hear introduce themselves) the rest would only know those that came afterwards and none would know her name as she had not introduced herself to the guards when she had arrived like the others had done. Taking a breath she spoke up identifying herself, "I'm Devi the Brown of the Greenswood."

Devi reached out and took her voucher from Jada and nodded to the man, "We shall have to see if stable master Alfonz has a beast for those of us larger than most, otherwise the horses may be rather uncomfortable for us."

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:52, Fri 19 Sept 2014.

Jerischo Elsinoir Addis
 player, 8 posts
 Will play music for Dosh.
 And Deeds 4 Cheap.
Tue 10 Jun 2014
at 05:45
Re: Freeport
The bard had watched it all, and had come to a conclusion;  this was going to be a disaster.  Well, it was disaster of unknown proportions, which he much preferred over any previous disasters he'd seen.  The unknown ones always seemed more appealing to him, as he reflected. Probably said some bad things about him, to be honest.  Oh well.  He walked up to the beast-kin, and took one of the stable requests.  Unlike the others, he wasn't really afraid of him.  Oh no, he'd seen beast-kin to be afraid of.  This wasn't one in his books-  this was more like a much-appreciated traveler, to keep between him and anyone out for either his neck or the party's at large.  He smiled cordially.  "Thank you very much."

Then the introductions started.  The officious woman introduced herself as Lynessa Crescent.  The tall man was Devlin "The Brown" of Greenswood.  He didn't snicker, but as musician, he of course couldn't help but think of a few lymerics.  And then the poor elf lady.  She was so nervous, and it showed.  Oh, she was going to need some help and support.  "Alchemist Extraordinaire," eh?  Well, that was more. . .something than his introduction was about to be.  He chuckled, keeping his hat on, so that only a few locks of his blond hair showed.  Well, they'd heard his name before, but it never hurt to put his name out there more.  Well, usually.  Sometimes. He cleared his throat, and his surprisingly entrancing voice rang out.  "I think Jerischo will be easier.  So please, call me Jerischo, or Jeri."
Lalita Chandra
 player, 10 posts
Tue 10 Jun 2014
at 06:22
Re: Freeport
Like the bard, Lalita had no problems going up to the beast-kin. Why would she? If anything he was just like her, except with ears and a tail, which she actually thought was kind of cute. She gave him a small smile and taking a voucher muttered a small "Thank you." Before asking him, "What's your name?"

Lalita wasn't quite shore what to think of her companions just yet. If anything they were quite extroadinary and the fish-kin couldn't wait to see what each one of them could do, when the circumstances called for action. However, that didn't necessarily meant she trusted them. Not yet at least. It was probably best at this time to just remain friendly, and to keep most of your thoughts to yourself. At least until a small bit of companionship was engaged. She turned to the rest of the group as introductions were being arranged, the elf had called herself Lucinda and was apparently an excellent alchemist. That would no doubt come in handy in the future, though the guppy had to wonder. Seeing how shy and nervous she was, if she would handle well under pressure. Well, they would soon find out later on she supposed.

The other women introduced herself as Lynessa Cresent. No brainer for this one, she was obviously a swordfish. Which again, would prove useful when they got stuck in a sticky situation. Tall robed man was Devlin, she...wasn't quite shore about him. There was a familiar aura she felt around him that she couldn't quite pin-point just yet. Was he possibly like her? And then Jerischo. Well if the girl was honest, she actually didn't reelly know what a bard did except sing songs and tell tall tails. Would that be useful though? Perhaps.

"You may call me Lalita." She announced in a soft, yet easy to hear voice. "It is pleasure to meet you all. Glub."

This message was last edited by the player at 13:06, Tue 10 June 2014.

Jada
 player, 10 posts
Tue 10 Jun 2014
at 10:18
Re: Freeport
Jada gave a low sigh, almost a growl at the elf's cowardly behavior. How is she suppose to fight back the darkness if she is afraid of someone handing out papers? He shook his head as he moved on.

At the guard-woman's remark, Jada gave an annoyed look. "An astute deduction." He replied briskly. He didn't wait for a response.

Approaching Devlin as he gave his introduction, Jada gave a short. "Nice to meet you." He nodded at the idea that it might take a larger horse for one of the few men in the city taller than himself. "For both the horse and the rider I imagine. I will likely forgo the horse. They seem rather needy and not very fast." He said with a small smile before continuing to the next person.

Jerischo's politeness was in such contrast to the women earlier, that it gave Jada pause and actually made him a bit wary. He gave a brief nod at the man's introduction. "Hi." He replied as he moved on.

Reciprocating her smile with a friendly smile of his own, Jada's discomfort seemed to fade slightly. "You can call me Jada." He replied to her alone. It was clear he wasn't introducing himself to the group, but rather Lalita specifically. "What a lovely name. It's a pleasure to meet you, Lalita."
Nikolai Grey
 player, 10 posts
Tue 10 Jun 2014
at 20:01
Re: Freeport
    Nikolai stumbled forward as the guard gave him a shove. He approached the stand and took the holy symbol hung from a simple chain, it was the final item remaining but still his body reacted to it immediately upon contact. This item was blessed indeed, he thought to himself. Looking up at the group as he headed back to the guard, he was aware of the introductions being made. "I'm Nikolai," he mentioned in a nonplussed manner. "Pleasure to make your acquaintance," he approached the large beast-kin who had identified himself as Jada, and took the proffered sheet of parchment. He glanced about at the guard and the rest of the group and stated simply, "Well, I'm ready to go."
TheDudeAbides
 GM, 96 posts
Tue 10 Jun 2014
at 23:42
Re: Freeport
    The portly guard had observed the group carefully as they approached the alter and again as they interacted with one another. "Looks like each of ye have a voucher, and yer special item from the priestess; we have tarried here long enough." He performed a slightly awkward bow towards the priestess and her entourage, and turned towards the corridor which led them back out of the inner chamber. "Come on ye lads and lasses we best be on our way," the guard moved at a remarkably quick gate, given his robust size, and the group soon found themselves at the great iron-bound doors.

    The large doors were thrust open to reveal the night sky and ten thousand winking stars. The chubby guard stood aside the opening and waved perfunctorily for the group to pass through. "It's up to the pack of ye to meet with Alfonz at the gate. From this point, I honestly 'as no clue what ye should do next. Mayhaps headin north be the best decision." The guard shrugged his large round shoulders and looked longingly off into the distance. "My wee wife probably has a juicy roast dripping over the fire right about now..." He trailed off in thought and looked at the group expectantly.

    The city streets were nearly devoid of foot traffic but the taverns and inns were bustling with patrons. The smells of food wafted up to the gates of the temple carried on a gentle breeze, and the sounds of singing and laughter filled the night air. The city was a place of happiness and peace. The people within the gates appeared largely unaware of the danger that loomed to the north, unaware or apathetic.

1st day of the 2nd month: 8:00 PM.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:53, Wed 11 June 2014.

Lynessa Crescent
 player, 16 posts
Wed 11 Jun 2014
at 03:45
Re: Freeport
Lynessa glanced skyward. The stars twinkled in the night sky like countless pinpricks in the velvety blanket of darkness. On a normal night, her watch would have ended by now and she'd be on her way to The Swine's Snout to have a few flagons of mead with her companions. Ewan, already into his cups no doubt, would greet her with a clap on the back and a hearty laugh and Melody, ever the friendly one, would embrace her as she took a stool. Perhaps Gregory would have joined them. She smiled at the thought of him sitting at a table, waiting to greet her.

But, tonight was not a normal night and these were not her friends from the City Guard. She glanced at each member in turn and wondered what they had given up to go on this journey.

She held her voucher up. “I suppose we should deal with these,” she said. “Alfonz won't like it if we keep him waiting too long. After that...” she hesitated. “The area immediately outside the city should be safe enough. We can put a few miles between us and Freeport before making camp,” she suggested. In truth, she was mostly making her best guess in this regard. Her duties had rarely called for her to go more than a few miles outside of Freeport. She glanced at Jerischo, then Devlin as looking for support of her idea. The two of them stuck her as the most well traveled of the group.