Business: Hoofers (stable/kennels/temple of The Mother)   Posted by Tanda Brightflower.Group: 0
Tanda Brightflower
 proprietor, 2 posts
 Welcome to Hoofers
Wed 23 Sep 2015
at 22:06
Business: Hoofers (stable/kennels)
Located on the outskirts of the city, a walled compound has a pair of signs hanging outside. Bracketed on either side of the double doors leading into the courtyard are signs for Hoofers (the sign has an icon of horses upon it) and the Saddle Rack (showing an image of boots and saddles). Stout walls ring the compound, insuring that the animals within do not run free. Entering past the doors, one encounters a large courtyard, where several means of conveyance, from carts to wagons are in evidence. Three paths lead from this central area. One is a paved path leading to a residence. A second path leads under an arch with a horseshoe nailed above it, and a waft of animal dung verifies the use of the building it leads to. The path, rough-hewn but clipped, leads to the stables and kennels. A small sign beside the path indicates that there are medical facilities available for ailing animals, whether they be pets, companions, or familiars. The third path leads to another building, where there are samples of leather goods on display outside the doors leading within. The Saddle Rack's storefront is furnished with several examples of leather goods, mostly useful for riding gear... Bits, bridles, saddles, straps, boots, and barding. There is the unmistakable smell of the tannery in the back, but the scent is overpowered by the smell of leather in abundance. A sign above the proprietor's table invites shoppers to check out their inventories of horses, for work or for war,
and their many modes of conveyance. They also make items to-order.

This message was last edited by the player at 11:00, Mon 12 Oct 2015.

Aridon Tink
 player, 193 posts
 Gnome Wizard
Sat 14 Nov 2015
at 21:00
Business: Hoofers (stable/kennels)
Aridon enters compound, but ignores the stables and goes straight for the tannery in the back. He barely spares a glance for the riding gear, and looks for the proprietor.
Tanda Brightflower
 proprietor, 63 posts
 Welcome to Hoofers
Sun 15 Nov 2015
at 03:51
Business: Hoofers (stable/kennels)
A rough-looking man pauses at his labors, cutting the stitching for a riding saddle. "You looking for leather goods, transport vehicles, or dray animals?" he asks. As he awaits an answer, he sends an assistant off towards the stables. A few moments later, a beautiful elven woman with bright red hair enters, smiling. "Good day to you, sir. I'm Tanda. What can we do for you today?"
Aridon Tink
 player, 195 posts
 Gnome Wizard
Sun 15 Nov 2015
at 12:07
Business: Hoofers (stable/kennels)
"I am looking for some leather toys for animals. A couple of balls of strong leather, well stitched, balls that will stand up to considerable abuse by an enthusiastic biter. One should be about 10 inches in diameter, the other half that. Dyed in bright colors, if possible. Also a leather rope, only a couple of yards long would do nicely, for playing tug of war. Again, it should stand up to some considerable biting."

This message was last edited by the player at 12:07, Sun 15 Nov 2015.

Tanda Brightflower
 proprietor, 64 posts
 Welcome to Hoofers
Mon 16 Nov 2015
at 00:12
Business: Hoofers (stable/kennels)
"Hmmmm. Sounds doable. Might I ask what sorts of animals? It helps me to know. Certain types of jaws will cut through the lacings quicker because of narrower, or more-powerful jaws. The leather might need to be reinforced. Also, I find that such toys are often helped by adding the scent of a favorite food or aroma that induces the need to either attack or play." Then the dimensions being asked for finally knock on her mind's door. "Oh, my. You're speaking of a man-sized pet or larger, aren't you. Does he or she need training as well?" Her blouse opens slightly to show a religious icon for The Mother hanging around her neck.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:13, Mon 16 Nov 2015.

Aridon Tink
 player, 196 posts
 Gnome Wizard
Mon 16 Nov 2015
at 01:01
Business: Hoofers (stable/kennels)
"The smaller ball is actually for a lion cub. He's still being fed milk, so I figure he'll do well to push it around right now, but I expect he'll graduate to biting it soon enough. Still, there is time before he can truly do damage, and maybe soft leather is better for now. As for bringing him here, while I'm sure he'd do well in your capable hands, well, he's currently an inmate at the zoo, and I don't exactly have the authority to bring him to you.

The larger ball... well, how about we say it needs to be as tough as you can make it, and leave it at that ? It might be better if it were light enough to float. No special scent. Same for the rope, minus the floating. And while I might introduce the recipient to you some day, until then, that's all I can tell you."

Tanda Brightflower
 proprietor, 65 posts
 Welcome to Hoofers
Mon 16 Nov 2015
at 06:11
Business: Hoofers (stable/kennels)
"Would you like me to speak to either of the recipients? See if they have any preferences?" Tanda asks absently as she jots down a few notes. "Is there any material you don't want them made of? I'm thinking a tough outer hide for the bigger one. My alligator shed part of his skin recently, and it might be tough enough to reinforce hard leather for the bigger ball. Or maybe I'll see if I can trade for bulette hide. That stuff is about as tough as plate armor." She muses a bit, then asks further "What sort of time frame were you looking at?"


OOC: Have NO idea how to price this. Depends on what materials cost I end up paying.
Aridon Tink
 player, 197 posts
 Gnome Wizard
Mon 16 Nov 2015
at 12:24
Business: Hoofers (stable/kennels)
"Well, the lion cub is at the zoo, but I don't know how much he could tell you about what manner of ball he would like. I doubt he has ever seen one.

As for the other recipient and the larger ball, I'm afraid it's not up to me whether you see it. But alligator should be fine, or bulette, whatever you can get. As long as the leather does not come from a sentient species. Dyes in bright color perhaps.

I was hoping to get them within a few days, one week at the outside."




OOC: This gives a basic price for balls.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipm...-entertainment-items

If you make the large, extra tough one a masterwork ball, that would make the price 56 gp (ouch ! but worth it). The smaller one could stay at the basic price.


Tanda Brightflower
 proprietor, 66 posts
 Welcome to Hoofers
Mon 16 Nov 2015
at 12:46
Business: Hoofers (stable/kennels)
"Ah. Sentient creature, no doubt. Well, I shan't pry. I'll get to work on those right away. Check back with me in 3 days' time. Your name, sir?"
Aridon Tink
 player, 198 posts
 Gnome Wizard
Mon 16 Nov 2015
at 13:34
Business: Hoofers (stable/kennels)
"I am Aridon Tink, wizard and explorer extraordinaire, at your service."

OOC: two balls and a rope, don't forget the rope :)
And the larger ball is for a dragon hatchling who has a very protective mother, so Aridon is very reluctant to talk about him (or her ? He didn't exactly check)

Aridon Tink
 player, 205 posts
 Gnome Wizard
Sat 21 Nov 2015
at 19:10
Business: Hoofers (stable/kennels)
Three days later, Aridon comes back for his leathery goods.

OOC: I hope it's all right to move time forward like that. I figure you can always move the clock back if/when another adventurer comes shopping :)
Tanda Brightflower
 proprietor, 69 posts
 Welcome to Hoofers
Wed 25 Nov 2015
at 01:02
Business: Hoofers (stable/kennels)
A red-faced proprietress comes out. "My apologies, Master Tink. My order for a tougher leather substitute has not yet come in. I expect it in this afternoon. In the meantime, I've been working on the reinforcing strips and lacings. And the normal ball and rope are ready for pick-up. I expect I'll have the larger, tougher ball ready in..." She calculates for a moment, then finishes "another 5 days."
Aridon Tink
 player, 207 posts
 Gnome Wizard
Wed 25 Nov 2015
at 13:29
Business: Hoofers (stable/kennels)
"Well, then, I will take what you have ready and come back for the rest later. What do I owe you for the first two items ?"

Aridon is slightly disappointed, but that quickly passes as he is still under the warm glow of having survived his trip to the sewers...
DM
 GM, 736 posts
Wed 25 Nov 2015
at 14:47
Business: Hoofers (stable/kennels)
Before Tanda can answer Aridon holds his hand out ready to accept the ball being dropping into it by Tanda.  Aridon's hand shimmers with a dull blue light as the ball falls through his hand and hits the counter before rolling to the floor.
Aridon Tink
 player, 208 posts
 Gnome Wizard
Wed 25 Nov 2015
at 15:11
Business: Hoofers (stable/kennels)
"What the ? Did you do that ? No, of course you didn't do that. But then..."

A sudden thought crosses Aridon's mind.

"The rats ! Those devil-spawned giant vermin ! Those stinking monstruous phasing rodents infesting the sewers. They bit me ! I bet they infected me with some rare, uncurable, fatal phasing disease, and that incompetent healer didn't even notice even though I told him to look ! Where am I going to find someone actually competent enough to cure me now ?"
Tanda Brightflower
 proprietor, 70 posts
 Welcome to Hoofers
Wed 25 Nov 2015
at 15:26
Business: Hoofers (stable/kennels)
"Wait. You were bitten by phasing rats? Describe to me what they looked like and come with me." Tanda takes the wizard into the back of thew stabling area, where she has set up hospitalization and recovery facilities. With his permission, she will examine the wound and work on a diagnosis.


07:33, Today: Tanda Brightflower rolled 19 using 1d20+13.  Heal check.
07:33, Today: Tanda Brightflower rolled 26 using 1d20+19.  Handle Animals.
07:32, Today: Tanda Brightflower rolled 16 using 1d20+10.  Knowledge: Nature.
07:32, Today: Tanda Brightflower rolled 24 using 1d20+10.  Knowledge: Local.
07:32, Today: Tanda Brightflower rolled 13 using 1d20+10.  Profession:Animal Keeper.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:33, Wed 25 Nov 2015.

Aridon Tink
 player, 209 posts
 Gnome Wizard
Wed 25 Nov 2015
at 16:35
Business: Hoofers (stable/kennels)
"They looked like rats, but as large as dogs. And they were glowing. It was down in the sewers. They attacked me, I killed one, with an shocking grasp spell as I recall, and two others just winked out when I wounded them. Just phased out of this plane of existence.

I got bitten several times, so I went to a healer afterwards and told him I was worried about disease. He cast a cure spell, but said he didn't see any sign of disease."


Aridon follows Tanda.
DM
 GM, 742 posts
Wed 25 Nov 2015
at 18:51
Business: Hoofers (stable/kennels)
PM
Tanda Brightflower
 proprietor, 71 posts
 Welcome to Hoofers
Wed 25 Nov 2015
at 19:18
Business: Hoofers (stable/kennels)
After hearing the description of the rodents, and examining the wound, Tanda sits back and ponders a moment. "The creature you describe is called an Ethereal Rat. They've been spotted in the sewers, and occasionally on the shore of the river around the South Third. They have the ability to phase into both the Ethereal and Material planes at will. They carry something called an ethereal poison, but it doesn't act like a poison in the strictest medical sense. It acts more like a curse... it causes a victim to wholly or partially phase into the ethereal plane. Now, from what I've read, if it's left to run its course over a few weeks, it will most likely fade. In some rare cases, it becomes worse until the victim permanently enters the ethereal plane. I'm not certain how to treat it, though. But if you can get someone to key an 'anchor' to you, you might be able to force yourself into the material plane, regardless of what the poison tries to get your body to do. Best I can do right now, I'm afraid. I can check you regularly if you like, to see if it is progressing or losing strength."
Aridon Tink
 player, 210 posts
 Gnome Wizard
Wed 25 Nov 2015
at 19:33
Business: Hoofers (stable/kennels)
"An ethereal poison ? That's not good. Any idea what keying of these 'anchor' involves ? I'm quite happy on this plane."
Tanda Brightflower
 proprietor, 72 posts
 Welcome to Hoofers
Wed 25 Nov 2015
at 21:03
Business: Hoofers (stable/kennels)
"The passage I read mentioned something about a 'dimensional anchor', but I have no idea what that might actually be. I suspect you need to speak to a most puissant practitioner of the arcane arts for that information." Tanda indicates the shrine to The Mother near the entrance to the stables. "Best I can do for you right now is pray for you."
Aridon Tink
 player, 211 posts
 Gnome Wizard
Wed 25 Nov 2015
at 22:05
Business: Hoofers (stable/kennels)
"A most puissant practitioner of the arcane art... that's who I'm supposed to be, and I haven't got a clue ! I guess I'll have to go back to that horrible librarian in his tower..."

Aridon tries to pick his ball again.

"Well, thank you for your help and for the leather goods, and it looks like I have more problems to solve."

Aridon frowns in thought.
Tanda Brightflower
 proprietor, 73 posts
 Welcome to Hoofers
Wed 25 Nov 2015
at 22:18
Business: Hoofers (stable/kennels)
"Or perhaps a priest, now that you know the source of the 'poison'. And don't forget to come back in 5 days' time for the big ball." Tanda has a suggestion. "See if you can learn the spell for the invisible servant. Then it can carry things for you."