001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)   Posted by Loremaster.Group: archive 0
Shalronel
 player, 74 posts
Wed 24 Sep 2014
at 03:27
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Shalronel looks at the others, impressed by the generosity of the hobbits, "Surely we cannot take your fine dishes dear hobbits, I am sure the cion will suffice for covering expenses during the trip." she says a bit embarrassed about accepting the coin but knowing that expenses would indeed show up on the adventure.  She moves to pick up the map, awed by its beauty.
Bern Asheye
 player, 53 posts
 END 28/26
 Hope 15/14
Wed 24 Sep 2014
at 08:47
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bern was both moved by the hobbits words and impressed by his generous heart and letters of recommendation. He felt embarrassed for his own callous words, he was not such a hard man but his tongued had slipped and he vowed to think better and weight each word before he utter it.

"I thank your generosity master Brandybuck but I agree with the fair maiden Shalronel, the safety of your brother... and his cargo..." he eyes Agatha " is reward in itself, some coin to keep our expenses and a safe lodge where one can rest one head and fill ones belly is a fine reward."
Bes, child of Balin
 player, 44 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Wed 24 Sep 2014
at 14:27
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bés raises a hand to politely decline the proffered coin and goods. "We Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain have such wealth in abundance," she observes simply. "Nor could I accept free lodging, being more than able to pay not only for myself but for all here assembled." Her dark eyes glitter merrily. "The hospitality and good company of Hobbits is treasure enough for the likes of this Dwarf."
Andwise Rumble
 player, 41 posts
Wed 24 Sep 2014
at 14:59
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Andwise, still feeling slightly embarassed over his earlier display, decides that discretion is best here and simply nods in agreement with the others.
Loremaster
 GM, 178 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Thu 25 Sep 2014
at 01:51
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
You gallantly refuse to take the family items the Brandybucks offered to help get Dindy back home, and Dody and Agatha look at one another, deeply moved.
The purse with some little silvers coins from the Shire you take, in case you need expenses on the way, and you look at the beautiful letters - wishing you could see what is inside, but knowing that if you open them their value would be lost, most probably.
And you join Shalronel in looking at the map, drawn on thick creamy parchment.

OOC:  I added one XP for your Heroic move of refusing Treasure to help the Hobbits, but since it is not to spend now (counting for the coming Adventuring Phase, so to be spent after that) I tallied it up but will not add it to your info' yet.
Have one of you take the purse (it contains one Treasure Point - 1 TP - that has no Encumbrance).
And tell me if you split the letters up, or if one of you takes them all for safekeeping.
Finally, I imagine that Bés, as Guide, would be the one to be carrying the map.


Talking amongst yourselves, you decide that you will form a Company of valiant fellows to go seeking for, and rescue if need be, Dinodas Brandybuck of the Lonely Inn.
The Dwarf Bés seems the most traveled and thus best suited to Guide you, mapping the route.  And the sure-footed Woodelf Shalronel will assist by Scouting - finding the best place to put up camp if you are in the Wilds, and such.  Andwise the Quick-Eared Hobbit and Bern the Trusty Man of Dale will be the wary ones, keeping their eyes open and serving as Look-outs, protecting you at night and such.  Finally, Berangar the Beorning who knows of Beasts and their habits, will bring you food if the trip lasts long, Hunting when neeed.
Thus, your roles are set... for now.
And, the long breakfast finally finished, you all set off, alone or in pairs, to prepare for the trip:  getting your gear ready, looking or asking for some special items...  well, you do not all set off right away, since Andwise sees it will soon be lunch, and it is time to quickly have Second Breakfast, or else he will be late for the Midday Meal, he can do his preparing after Nap-time and before Tea.

Bern takes it easy, resting his battle-weariness, but he knows that by the next morning he will have recovered and be fully healed and ready for the journey.

Berangar goes out in the afternoon, to check the Orc tracks, as you wished to do.

OOC:  Bern, by the next morning you will be at full Endurance.
Berangar, can you roll for Hunting, TN 14, to see what your tracking gives?
For all: tell me of any special preparations you make.

Bern Asheye
 player, 55 posts
 END 28/26
 Hope 15/14
Thu 25 Sep 2014
at 07:38
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Come morning as everyone gather in the inn main room in preparation for the journey to come.

"Last night I... I had a dream..." he begin, not all people of Dale suffered well his family gift "My dreams often carry omens for things to come... warning of ill to come befalling us..." he looks at Bes with his dead colored eyes "I dreamed that up and up I went, to a place high and cold, but suddenly the world closed in around me, trying to constrict me somehow, and I then dove deep down into the darkness."

He shrugs "I know not what it means but I think it would be wise for all to know about this foretelling."
Andwise Rumble
 player, 43 posts
Thu 25 Sep 2014
at 08:59
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
"Hmm" mutters Andwise as he records Bern's dream in the pages of his journal. Dreams where sometimes good and sometimes bad, and not always the product of too much cheese as his mother had told him when he was a young hobbit.
This one didn't sound good, especially the cold part. He wondered if he should bring an extra shirt - just in case.
Berangar
 player, 31 posts
Thu 25 Sep 2014
at 14:17
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Berangar looks at Bern, and shrugs slightly, "Sounds like we're bound for the mountains, then!"  He grins, "and then, into a ravine or some tunnels."  He shrugs again, "But who can say, with dreams?"

"I am off to backtrack the orcs, if any others are interested."  He slings his shield on his back, and hefts his spear in his hand, gives a small bow to his hosts, and heads to the clearing.

It takes little to track the stamping and slashing of orcs, and the big Beorning's eyes scan the ground, following the trail they left.


0:11, Today: Berangar rolled a total of 21: a great success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 8 (Feat Die), 5, 6, 2. Hunting -- tracking the orcs.

Loremaster
 GM, 180 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Thu 25 Sep 2014
at 15:31
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Berangar easily picks up the trail from where the Orcs entered the clearing.
He sees they all grouped a bit north of there, and broke out into the three groups you faced at the Inn, the Stables, and the main one in the clearing.  It is obvious to you that they conferred here.
Then you pick up the trail and move North from there: you see that they walked in single file, and did not stop much and were not diverted or side-tracked, showing they had purpose and a strong leader.
You speedily follow them, and see that the track then turns East, and you go along until you reach Mirkwood.
There the path enters the dark forest, and you know you cannot follow it, and you do not wish to go in the woods alone.
You come back to the Inn with this news.
The track showed you that the war party came to the Inn on purpose, that they had some knowledge of what to expect, since they did not scout it out before attacking, and that this was not a simple raiding party for loot or whatever but a more organized war-band.
Bes, child of Balin
 player, 52 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Thu 25 Sep 2014
at 15:56
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bés speaks after mulling over the Barding's words for a time. "'Twould seem the mountains are indeed our destination," she begins quietly, "and crossing the High Pass is the most perilous part of any journey from Eriador to Wilderland." Bés puffs on her pipe several times before continuing. "The sudden closing, constricting, and fall could mean an avalanche, or a Goblin trap. Both are likely, though in different seasons." She turns to Dody then. "How long ago was your brother expected, Master Dodinas, and what was the date of his last notice?"
Shalronel
 player, 83 posts
Thu 25 Sep 2014
at 16:35
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Shalronel tucks the coin and the letters away safe,excited to be actually going to rescue someone. She goes to her room then and packs up her belongings, making sure that everything is just right (which involves unpacking and then repacking at least twice).

As she enters the common room again she hears the talk of the mountains, "Are we thinking that the orcs came because of the brother then?" she asks as she sets her pack down and sits at the table again.
Bes, child of Balin
 player, 53 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Thu 25 Sep 2014
at 18:11
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bés nods once in answer to the Elf-maid's query. "The attack was too orderly to be a chance encounter," she states with certainty. "Their path of approach alone speaks volumes. They knew to avoid the Middle Vales' better-patrolled southern extents." Bés pauses to empty her pipe into the nearest ashtray. "Still, there is always the risk of avalance in the passes of the Misty Mountains."
Bern Asheye
 player, 56 posts
 END 28/26
 Hope 15/14
Thu 25 Sep 2014
at 18:23
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bern rubs his chin as he consider "But why? why would a band of orc risk crossing that much distance to attack an inn owned by a couple of hobbits?" he shakes his head "Orcs are cruel and mean but they are slo cowardly and are not prone to march in a suicide mission... no they wanted something here... wanted it dearly or strongly motivated..."

He looks at the distance "The more I think of it the more I am convinced we are to involve the wizard Radagast. More is hidden then revealed in this matter..."
Bes, child of Balin
 player, 54 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Thu 25 Sep 2014
at 18:43
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bés shakes her head in disagreement. "'Tis near a month to Rhosgobel and thence to the foot of the pass," she informs the Barding. "We can practically be in Bree by that time, should we make for it directly."
Dodinas Brandybuck
 NPC, 7 posts
 Dody
 Bartender
Thu 25 Sep 2014
at 23:33
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Master Brandybuck, who is always close at hand, making sure you have all you need before leaving for the Grand Rescue Mission - though Agatha often sighs, stating that Dindy probably just left late - brings a letter to Bés.
It is the one Dindy sent earlier, and that arrived late Spring. In it, Dindy describes how he has arrived in a village called Bree and started to gather supplies and guards for his journey. Based on the date, Dindy should have already arrived at the Easterly Inn if he set off within a month of writing the letter as he intended to do, and so Dody is very worried, what with the Orcs and all.
Agatha states that true adventurers know that journeys rarely go smoothly, and that Dindy may have suffered unexpected but quite ordinary delays.
But Dody is adamant, if Dindy does not arrive within the next few weeks, then something will indeed have happened to him, and it is dangerous to go travelling in the Wild when the autumn wind blows, and even more so when winter comes, so these nice peoples are going to find out what is at the bottom of all this.
According to the letter, Dindy should be travelling with half-a-dozen Men, and Iwgar.
Loremaster
 GM, 183 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Fri 26 Sep 2014
at 00:03
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Having prepared your traveling packs - all taking some warmer winter clothes just in case for the mountains, and Andwise slipping in an extra shirt -, and received fine food from Agatha for the journey, you are gathered around the dinner table at nightfall, where Berangar - having just returned - tells you of what he saw. Discussing Radagast and travel times, during the meal, you now look at the map with Bés, who, rubbing her beard and plotting the course with her finger, shows you the trip she wishes you to take towards where Dindy and his party will be coming from Bree, through the High Pass in the Misty Mountains.

OOC:  so, all who wish can roll for Lore - or use a Trait for an automatic single success (rolling can get you from 0 to 3 extra dice for the journey, a Trait gives you one for sure) - to see what you know about this Journey and the places you might cross.
Bés can describe the trip that will be made, as Guide.


When you sleep, later on - after discussing and preparing the trip - Bern will spend a good night's sleep, fully resting, and both Bés and Shalronel, each in their own room, will feel that time has come to try and use more of their race's magic if need be.  You both have been learning and testing this, but were never sure you mastered it well enough, but know that you most probably can use it without fail.
You also know that this new spell or set of loaded runes, like the one you already know, is not to be used without thought, for it is said that its power can somehow attract the attention of Ancient or Evil creatures.

OOC: you know that all spells add one "point" to the Eye Awareness pool.
Berangar
 player, 32 posts
Fri 26 Sep 2014
at 02:35
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Berangar shakes his head, perplexed, as he relates what he found tracking the orcs.  "They were set to their purpose, and disciplined.  Not like orcs to be so.  I also expected to find they were from the mountains, but the trail took me the other way, east to Mirkwood. If our missing Hobbit had anything to do with these orcs, I expect they would have come from the west, not the east."
Bern Asheye
 player, 57 posts
 END 28/26
 Hope 15/14
Fri 26 Sep 2014
at 09:58
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bern ash gaze is set on Bes "True but we must not ignore the orc threat..." he consider for a few moments then turn to Dody. "Master Brandybuck I beg thee pardon for I am going to request an alteration to the deal we have signed upon. In return I'll waver all clauses that were to benefit me. My request is that in return of the rescue of your brother you will send urgent tiding about the events that happened here for both king Bard and to Rhosgobel to find its wizard patron."
Berangar
 player, 33 posts
Fri 26 Sep 2014
at 13:07
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Looking from Bes, to Bern, to Dody, Berangar gives a small shake of his shaggy head.  "Friend Bern, if it ease your mind, directly on the way to the Old Ford and the High Pass, from whence I have just recently journeyed, we shall pass the House of Beorn, lord and protector of these lands.  We can venture there, and deliver word, and in his wisdom, he may choose where to send tidings, as many men, such as myself, are at his command."
Shalronel
 player, 84 posts
Fri 26 Sep 2014
at 16:26
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
"Well, I believe that our first priority should be to recover Master Dody's brother, as that is the imminent threat.  Calara has returned to Mirkwood to warn the king of the orc threat.  That should be sufficient to have him send warning to Radagast." she says thoughtfully, "It might be too dangerous to send a single emissary to the wizard right now."

OOC:  Lore roll for the trip.  17:32, Yesterday: Shalronel rolled a total of 15 (12 if weary): a success (failure if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 7 (Feat Die), 2, 1, 5. lore roll.
Bes, child of Balin
 player, 56 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Sun 28 Sep 2014
at 18:29
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Only halfway following the conversation around her, Bés silently traces a route on Bilbo's map and steeples her fingers as she sits back in her chair. "I concur with our Beorning friend, we can leave word at Beorn's House," she finally says. "Master Dinodas may have simply tarried overlong in Rivendell, as Hobbits are wont to do," Bés rumbles lowly, "but 'tis better we find him safe and sound, drinking Elf wine and surrounded by comfort, than the alternative."



13:41, Today: Bes, child of Balin rolled a total of 10 (6 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 6 (Feat Die), 2, 2. Journey Advantage (Lore). No bonus dice for moi, this trip, unless I spend Hope. May be worth it, even for a single die, seeing as I can give the die to another or use both the die and Hope on some crucial roll. Decisions, decisions...
Bern Asheye
 player, 58 posts
 END 28/26
 Hope 15/14
Sun 28 Sep 2014
at 20:39
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bern nods to Berangar "That is a good and wise idea my friend. While I would be overjoyed to find the esteem Master Dinodas sipping elven wine with the lords of Rivendell, I would hate to think that a threat to the free lands was over looked."

He pour himself on to the map but quickly lose interest in it, maps were nice and useful but he never had a knack for them beside this journey planned was far beyond the scope of his travels so far.

OOC
23:35, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 7 (7 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 2 (Feat Die), 5. Journey Advantage (Lore).

Berangar
 player, 35 posts
Mon 29 Sep 2014
at 03:03
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Berangar looks carefully at the map, a bemused smile on his face, muttering old bits of stories half remembered.  He glances at Dody, "Your mapmaker clearly loves his work, and has an eye for details." 

He nods in return to Bern, "Aye, the best we might do is find what is stirring these orc folk.  Then we will have something worthwhile to tell to the Wise."
Andwise Rumble
 player, 45 posts
Tue 30 Sep 2014
at 14:47
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Andwise mearly sighs, both head and stomack still feeling slightly uncomfortable. And to tell the truth the idea of heading off to find orcs did little to help either.

OOC
15:43, Today: Andwise Rumble rolled a total of 9 (9 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 4 (Feat Die), 5. Lore Roll.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:52, Tue 30 Sept 2014.

Bern Asheye
 player, 98 posts
Tue 2 Dec 2014
at 15:14
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)

This message was deleted by the player at 16:20, Tue 02 Dec 2014.