001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)   Posted by Loremaster.Group: archive 0
Loremaster
 GM, 47 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Sat 30 Aug 2014
at 22:22
001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Last year, in the summer of the year 2945 of the Third Age, a caravan of Hobbits came from the Shire, after having gathered their goods upon wagons in the town of Bree.  Traveling across the Misty Mountains under the guidance of Iwgar Longleg, the group's leader, Doderic Brandybuck, must have struck some kind of deal with Beorn, for he obtained the right to start building an Inn south of the Forest Gate.
Thus, Doderic "Dodo" Brandybuck, his wife Agatha (and two young sons Dando and Rodry), his brother Dinodas "Dindy" Brandybuck, found the perfect location for their Easterly Inn, and got to setting up, with the help of Hobbit traveling companions Milo Roper and Andwise Rumble, and a tall-fellow, Bern Asheye, who had joined them at the Old Ford, and was to prove a wonderful asset seeing as he was a talented wood-worker.
Soon people began to arrive, to find work - or simply out of joyful curiosity  - and help build the place, and, throughout the Fall, a small camp had set up, as the trees were cleared, and the foundations set down.
An early arrival, Frier the Dwarf Tinker turned out to be a fine... assistant carpenter / blacksmith / farrier / assistant bartender / woodcutter and general axeman in residence.  Dodo and he grew quite fond of one another, and it seems it is more than the pay that makes him stay on:  "Tis as good a place as another to rest me feet", he says, though he never seems to rest.
There also is a big hound, that came to be called Shadrach, who just appeared, and spends his time lying around...  often close to the two Hobbit-boys.
And then there are the Beornings and Woodmen workers.

As Fall came to pass, and Winter arrived, and the Inn's walls came up, some of the workers started to make a permanent encampment, which would soon turn into a village, since it was obvious there would be need for wheat and animals and such in this place.  There was even the first child born here, to a Woodmen family, little boy El, in the second week of the month the Hobbits name Blotmath (the second to last month of the year).

As of Spring 2946, the Inn's structure was mainly finished, and Frier made a trip to Dale, on the Lake to the East, to bring back dwarven items - returning late Spring with a dwarven friend, Bés, to come lend a hand.  While Dindy went back West to the Shire, with Iwgar, to bring a couple wagons of missing items (beer, copper doorknobs, umbrella stands, ham...), in order to have all that when the Inn was to open in Summer.

Just as Spring turned to Summer, two envoys of King Thranduil's court in Mirkwood came to the Inn - Shalronel and Calára Redleaf.

Thus, for months, or just these past couple of weeks, you all have had time to meet, and talk if you so desire.
Loremaster
 GM, 48 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Sat 30 Aug 2014
at 22:25
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
The Easterly Inn appears once you pass a small stone bridge that arches over babbling waters of a stream.
It consists of a small but comfortable wooden inn containing the common room and a few guest rooms for Big Folk, some outbuildings and stables, and the Hobbit-hole beneath where Dindy, Dody, Agatha and Dody’s two young sons live.
A big garden is in the back, and, close-by is the budding village of Woodmen - and some Beornings - settling in, and preparing the first crops that are soon to be harvested in the first fields cleared out in the surrounding grassland.
Andwise Rumble
 player, 4 posts
Sun 31 Aug 2014
at 11:16
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Andwise Rumble, not that big on building, takes a fishing pole, his second best pipe and a pouch of Longbottom Leaf, and withdraws to the river bank close to the bridge. Within moments he is lost in contemplation wondering what stories he may record for his proposed book on the folklore of the great forest.

He had heard the the famous hobbit Bilbo Baggins of the shire was believed to be starting a journal to record his travels. However having met Mr Baggins, and being far from impressed with his litery or story telling abilities, he believed there was ample room for a more structured, realistic record of the Mirkwood, than a mere travellers tale. Even if it did have Orcs, Trolls and Dragons.

Puffing on his pipe, his line bobbing merrily in the stream he considers his ,as yet unbegun, masterpiece.
Bern Asheye
 player, 4 posts
Sun 31 Aug 2014
at 13:39
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bern watched with the pride the inn wall and the little carving he made at the edge of the beam. It was a small etch in the wood the hint of a shape of a pair of hands holding the support beam in place.

He made his way out of the inn leaning on his spear as he made his way to the stream outside, the itch he felt was growing stronger now. He lacked nothing in food or shelter he lacked adventure and the knowledge that somewhere out there under the shadow of the old ruins may hide untold secrets and treasured gnawed at his core.

Soon, I shell depart from his place of joy and song...
he thought to himself but this time I shell be wiser and I shell bring with me companions that would stave off the shadow of fear with song and joy.

and so Bern of the Dale ponder his dilemma whom to ask to join him as he strolled down the stream lost in his own thought and planning.
Loremaster
 GM, 54 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Mon 1 Sep 2014
at 06:07
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Andwise had spent the last months working on his notes, going for strolls through the trees to the East, or talking with the people working on the Inn, in order to collect information.  At the same time he had recorded the building of the Inn for Master Brandybuck, who gave Andwise room and board in exchange for having some kind of diary of the creation of what he dubbed the Last Great Inn East of the Mountains.

Bern had worked hard from the beginning, helping cut the beams straight and rise them high, and then, once the frame was up, his carving knife had started working wonders, bringing intricate shapes and jolly flowers from the wood.

The two mysterious Elves of the Forest that had arrived a couple days ago were busy talking with Dodo - who, by the way, was impatient to see his brother Dindy return from the Shire with the badly needed egg holders.

Luckily, Frier had come back from Dale a week ago, with his wares, and a fellow dwarf - Bés, who was helping him unpack and set up the newly acquired goods.

Summer was starting, the Inn was being finished and would open soon,  The sun was warm, the brook fresh, and little newborn El was like the symbol of the renewal and Hope this Inn represented.  A Haven.
All were joyful and full of good expectations.

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:09, Mon 01 Sept 2014.

Loremaster
 GM, 57 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Tue 2 Sep 2014
at 04:41
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
The early summer sun has dropped behind the mountains to the west, and the sky is a deep blue turning slowly to black as nightfall is nigh.
The air is still warm, but Agatha calls her boy in, and you know it will soon be time for supper for those eating in the Inn.
The daytime birds have stopped chirping, and silence is settling over the area, broken only by the incessant babbling of the brook.
You smell the fresh paint coming from inside, where the workers have nearly finished:  the Easterly Inn is to open soon.
When, suddenly, you see something strange.
The big hound, Shadrach, suddenly freezes, and raises its ears as if to catch whatever noise is on the evening wind.  It is motionless, staring north, behind the main building, and you notice its hackles have risen and puffed up.  The big lug of a dog is obviously alarmed at something, and you have never seen him so.
What do you?
Shalronel
 player, 17 posts
Tue 2 Sep 2014
at 04:51
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
"My friends, I think the dog has noticed something ominous coming from the north.  Perhaps a couple of us should check it out while everyone else heads into the inn for safety?" Shalronel speaks up, worried for the safety of any non-adventerous types.  Waiting for those around her to make a decision she heads to her room quickly to retrieve her war gear.
Andwise Rumble
 player, 5 posts
Tue 2 Sep 2014
at 09:26
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
"What an excellent idea" says Andwise as he heads into the inn as fast as his feet can carry him.
Whatever was coming had the large hound most animated, so it boded nothing good. Ha, thinks Andwise, this task is better suited to taller and stouter folk. Now where is my paper and my ink so that I may record this encounter? With that thought in mind he makes for his travelling chest.
Loremaster
 GM, 58 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Tue 2 Sep 2014
at 10:50
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Shalronel and Andwise both move rapidly to their rooms, donning their leather armor and grabbing weapons - though Andwise also grabbed his leather-bound notebook, most important! - before moving back outside the Inn.
Shadrach was still hunkered down, now sniffing the air - though the wind came from the south, so that was not going to help much.
Others were looking wary, surprised that the dog would exhibit such a state of alarm, it had never shown any such behavior during the year it had been here.

[Secret to Shalronel: OOC : Shalronel, you can note 2 XP awarded on your sheet, for intro' RP and starting here.]

[Secret to Andwise Rumble: OOC : Andwise, you can note 3 XP awarded on your sheet, for intro' RP and starting here.]

This message was last edited by the GM at 10:51, Tue 02 Sept 2014.

Calara Redleaf
 player, 7 posts
Tue 2 Sep 2014
at 12:45
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Calára retrieves her sword and bow from where they rest near her pack. She slings the bow over her shoulder and buckles her scabbard around her waist as she joins the others. "It might simply be a squirrel that has caught the hound's fancy." Calára kneels down next to the beast. "Then again, perhaps not. What is it? What do you see?"

[Private to GM: I wish to use The Speakers to speak with the dog.]
Loremaster
 GM, 59 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Tue 2 Sep 2014
at 13:23
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Calára kneels beside big Shadrach and talks to him, before remaining silent a moment, as though listening to the hound's very low grumble.

As you talk to the dog, you see its eyes flick towards you for a second, and then, you concentrate on the hum of its growling to interpret its meaning, which, for some reason, you find strangely easy to understand...

[Private to Calara Redleaf: OOC:  Roll for Awareness, to see what you pick up on the dog's intent, with a Target Number (TN) of 12 (lower than the "normal"/average TN of 14).  For you that is One Feat die (d12) and 2d6 (for your 2 in Awareness).  I will put the info' on how to use the Dice Roller up in the rules.]

[Secret to Calara Redleaf: OOC: Calára, you can note 2 XP awarded on your sheet, for intro' RP and starting here.]
Andwise Rumble
 player, 6 posts
Tue 2 Sep 2014
at 14:29
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
"Interesting, most interesting" says Andwise to no one in particular, "It seems that the Elf can actualy understand the beast".
Suddenly all thought of danger is gone from his mind as he opens the notebook, dips his feather pen into a small horn ink bottle in preparation of recording the event.
"Of course old Peredur Proudfoot was said to speak to bees, but that was simply to disguise the fact that he was going mad".
Loremaster
 GM, 61 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Tue 2 Sep 2014
at 15:03
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
As Andwise takes his notes, he smiles, thinking of old Peredur and his bees, like the time when...  before suddenly stopping.
He sees Calára's face change, going pale and tense, her eyes seem to cloud over and lose their twinkle.

[Private to Calara Redleaf: Calára concentrated on the hound's growl, and found it strangely easy to understand, as though it knew how to communicate with others, or was used to such interaction?  A riddle to be solved at a later time, for her mind immediately turned to somber thoughts as she understood Shadrach's full thoughts:  the dog had sensed a Shadow coming, a multiple and determined Shadow with imminent evil intent. ]
Calara Redleaf
 player, 8 posts
Tue 2 Sep 2014
at 15:07
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Calára bids the dog to go hide and unslings her bow, readying an arrow. She stands and backs toward the inn. "A Shadow comes! Beware! Its evil travels before it like a cloud. Beware!"

OOC:
If possible, I will be ready to shoot. Otherwise, I will wield my sword.

Loremaster
 GM, 62 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Tue 2 Sep 2014
at 15:17
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
The hound does not move, it too is prepared...
Shalronel
 player, 18 posts
Tue 2 Sep 2014
at 16:11
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Shalronel looks for higher ground from which to get a better vantage of that which comes, also drawing her bow.  She begins climbing the inn to perch on the roof hoping it will give her a good vantage.

OOC:  Not quite sure what I need to roll for that?
Loremaster
 GM, 65 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Tue 2 Sep 2014
at 16:28
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
It seems rather easy to scale the wall - using the windows - and the roof is sturdy and not overly steep, so Shalronel should manage.

OOC:  Roll Athletics (TN 14)
Then let us answer the result of the roll, and, after that, wait a day or two for the others to be able to react.

Shalronel
 player, 19 posts
Tue 2 Sep 2014
at 16:32
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
OOC:  I think I rolled very poorly...:(

09:31, Today: Shalronel rolled a total of 11 (6 if weary): a failure with the Eye of Sauron (complications) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 11 (Feat Die), 6, 3, 2. Athletics (I think).

Loremaster
 GM, 68 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Tue 2 Sep 2014
at 17:05
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Shalronel starts to move towards the window, mapping the climb she is about to make...  when a sickly feeling overcomes her:  she has caught a whiff of the Darkness the hound must have scented.  The elf-maid stops in her tracks, her mind distracted from her course of action, and she turns to the right (Eastern) side of the Inn, knowing in her gut that something is coming, coming for her...

OOC:  some rule explanations hereunder.

Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
Okay, thanks for that!  Good to explain the rules to you and all.
You rolled 11 on the d12, and 6, 3, 2 on the d6's (that was the correct roll, since you have 3 in Athletics, thus 3d6 to roll + the Feat Die / d12).
So, the 11 does not count, and that makes the total come to 11 (6+3+2 from the d6's).
Since the TN (Target Number) is 14 (the normal/average TN) you fail.
Now, you have the possibility to spend Hope to change the outcome.  You look at the Attribute linked to your Skill:  Body for Athletics, in this case (if it were a Favored Skill - underlined - then you use the Favored Attribute number).  And you see if adding that number would make you succeed.  Here it would be your roll of 11 + 5 from Body = 16, so you would succeed.
If you spend a point of Hope, you call upon your Morale, and Strain yourself a bit, to push yourself and manage when you felt you were failing (however, it best to not spend non stop, since Hope can dwindle fast at times).  So, in this case I would not really do it if I were you, since you "only" have 10 points (but up to you).
Now, in this case, you rolled a 6 on the d6 (rune of Tengwar) which means that if you succeeded (in this case by spending a point of Hope) it would be a Great Success (even if you had failed before spending Hope, that does not matter).
So, in some cases it is worth spending Hope if it makes you pass from Failure to Great or Extraordinary Success (in Combat it means extra damage, and such).  In this case it could mean vaulting swiftly up to the rooftop and maybe gaining some little edge...  (but, again, as a player, I would not spend the Hope yet, in an action that might not have an important outcome).
Finally (and sorry for the long post, but it is to give game rules for those not used to TOR) the 11 on the d12 is an Eye of Sauron, which does two things:  first of all it adds to the Eye Awareness (I edited that to 5 from 4 - no fear, you need a lot to trigger an event), maybe meaning that Shalronel reacting to this incoming threat with obvious athletic talent and speed was noticed by the Enemy as a potent enemy or such.  The second thing is that an 11 can bring complications:  this depends on the situation (it can be a kind of "fumble" situation - but I do not see an Elf falling on her butt while scaling a simple Inn wall - or something else - in this case it could be that by this action, Shalronel put herself in the forefront and will be the first person an enemy will aim for).


Shalronel
 player, 21 posts
Tue 2 Sep 2014
at 17:18
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Shalronel shudders as the feeling of evil overcomes her, she quickly nocks an arrow and readies herself for an attack from the east.
Andwise Rumble
 player, 7 posts
Tue 2 Sep 2014
at 17:27
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Andwise looks from the Elf as she stands and draws her bow. to the other elf who has halted and is now looking pale faced at something to the east. Hands trembling he drops his quill, reaches for his short sword and takes a small, stumbling step backward towards the shelter of the inn.
Oh my, he thinks, a shadow I don't think I like the sound of that.
Loremaster
 GM, 70 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Tue 2 Sep 2014
at 17:31
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Shalronel, a bit shaken, stands to the east-side of the house, bow drawn.
Calára, calmly waits behind, her bow at the ready too.
Andwise, his quill on the flagstones before the Inn, short sword in hand, stands in the doorway.

OOC:  I think we can wait for the others now
Bes, child of Balin
 player, 3 posts
Tue 2 Sep 2014
at 18:09
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Already wearing her mail shirt, Bés sets her helm upon her head, seizes both her axes, and interposes herself between the door and the others. "Shadows out of any direction bode ill," she rumbles lowly, "but from the north in this season... 'tis troubling." Bés shifts minutely to give Calára the best field of fire possible whilst maintaining herself as the Inn's first line of defense. "How close? How soon?" She readies her weapons, steeling herself for what may come.
Loremaster
 GM, 72 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Tue 2 Sep 2014
at 18:47
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Long axe in one hand, and the throwing axe in the other, the sturdy dwarf stands just outside the door, a wall of mail and helmet and dour resolve.
Andwise is just behind, and Calára behind and off to the side with a line of fire.
Only Shalronel, a bit shaken, stands closer to the far - east - edge of the house.
Tense, no one answers - probably because they do not know - about how close or how soon.  But, somehow, it seems imminent.

[Secret to Bes, child of Balin: OOC: Bés, you can note 2 XP awarded on your sheet, for intro' RP and starting here.]
Bern Asheye
 player, 6 posts
Tue 2 Sep 2014
at 20:07
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Still loss in thoughts from his stroll Bern come to the tense scene at the inn. It is not everyday that once face the bows of not one but to maiden warriors of the eldar accompanied by a axe wielding dwarf.

Quick to the uptake the Dale man hand move from spear to bow "What trouble is brewing friends?" He quickly say to ascertain that he is indeed among friend and is one.

Bern stab the spear to the ground making sure it is stable before he pulls his own great bow out and choose one of his best arrows his ash gray eyes scan the woodland. No doubt whatever comes would need to be faced with melee but that does not mean one can not welcome it with Dale finest bow and arrow.
Loremaster
 GM, 74 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Wed 3 Sep 2014
at 03:38
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bern steps over, placing himself beside Andwise, just behind and to the right of Bés.  He sees eyes flick briefly to him, and feels he is indeed among friends.  He is among the Free Peoples, united - Hobbit, Elf, Dwarf and Man - in front of a common enemy.
In the few seconds it takes for him to secure his spear and draw great bow and arrow, a blood curdling war cry erupts, heard close by, just around the corner of the Inn, but also further, in various places of the budding settlement.
"Ufum Ghash Nash"... just hearing this evil tongue curdles your blood.
As your ears ring with the vile battle call that raises in too many places around the camp's outskirts, you feel the vibration of armored bodies starting to move - an enemy must have broken into a run - and you suddenly catch the smell of bilious sweat and rank grease that makes you want to gag.
Around the corner, a half a dozen stooped figures clad in mismatched leather and cloth, wielding blades and grinning with rotten and black teeth, come running.
Upon spotting you, they scream again:  "Ufum Ghash Nash"!
Andwise wonders what six trolls are doing here, but hears Bern mutter a brief: "Orcs", under his breath.
The Orcs move at you.

OOC:  those with ranged weapons can release an initial volley.  Then choose your Stances (to remain in Ranged combat you need to be Rearward with at least two companions engaged in Melee for each "Shooter".

[Secret to Bern Asheye: OOC: Bern, you can note 3 XP awarded on your sheet, for intro' RP and starting here.]

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:07, Wed 03 Sept 2014.

Shalronel
 player, 24 posts
Wed 3 Sep 2014
at 04:20
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Shalronel draws quickly and releases watching her arrow leap towards the big, nasty orc rushing towards the group.  She then steps back to continue firing.

OOC:  21:15, Today: Shalronel rolled a total of 20: a great success with the Gandalf Rune using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 12 (Feat Die), 2, 6. Bow Attack.

YAY a good attack!  Do I need to spend a hope to add my stinging arrow?  Or did I roll high enough to pierce already?

Taking a rearward stance for next round.

Bern Asheye
 player, 7 posts
Wed 3 Sep 2014
at 04:28
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bern take a deep breath slowly exhale as he release the black arrow into the sky toward the orcs.

He then pull his spear from the ground and take a step forward to stand as a barrier of wood and steel between the orcs and the innocent in the inn.

07:26, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 17: a great success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 9 (Feat Die), 2, 6. initial volley on orcs.

If this is a miss and spending Hope would turn it into success I'll spend the hope point.

Take Open stance

This message was last edited by the player at 05:26, Wed 03 Sept 2014.

Loremaster
 GM, 77 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Wed 3 Sep 2014
at 04:34
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
OOC:  I will let the others act to narrate, and will also post more rules in a bit (re. Edge and piercing shots etc.).
But, in Shalronel's case, the 12 (Gandalf rune) on the d12 means an automatic success (you hit) and an Edge (meaning your arrow shot true and might wound the Orc - depending on the Protection roll of its armor).  The 6 (Tengwar rune) is what gives a great success (extra damage in this case or such).
In Bern's case there is no Edge, since the Great Bow needs a 10 or 12 on the d12 to maybe do a Piercing blow.  There would have been with a Spear (a low Edge of 9, so Piercing blow on 9, 10 or 12 - remember: 11 does not count, since Eye of Sauron).  But Bern also got a Tengwar Rune (6 on the d6) thus the great success.
Sorry to all for putting in the orange OOC a lot, but we should cover the basic rules soon, and be able to keep the narration flowing better.

Andwise Rumble
 player, 8 posts
Wed 3 Sep 2014
at 13:50
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
As the orcs rush towards him, Andwise, not liking this at all, moves his precious notebook behind his back in a move to keep it from the nasty foul creatures. At the same time he tightens his grip on the short sword, and despite having a hard time controling the shake of his hand stands his ground, ignoring his legs desire to run away.
Oh dear, the thinks, this will not do, not do at all.

OOC: Takes a Defensive stance
Bes, child of Balin
 player, 7 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Wed 3 Sep 2014
at 19:26
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bés hurls her throwing axe in the wake of her comrades' bowshots, but fails to compensate when the Orcs charge. She mutters a Dwarvish curse under her breath when the axe flies past its mark and embeds itself in the smokehouse door. Bés grips her long-hafted axe in both hands and meets the Orcs with a battle-cry on her lips. "Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!" she shouts. "Axes of the Dwarves! The Dwarves are upon you!"



15:03, Today: Bes, child of Balin rolled a total of 8 (5 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 5 (Feat Die), 1, 2. Initial Volley (Throwing Axe). The TN of an opening volley should actually be 12, so I could use Hope to make that a hit. Not really worth it for an ordinary success, though. Will take a Forward Stance this round.
Loremaster
 GM, 80 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Wed 3 Sep 2014
at 23:06
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
"Ufum Ghash Nash", the Orc war-cry resonates as the half a dozen members of this evil race, bred by the Darkness in the beginning of the World to fight and bring havoc, come around the corner of the Inn.  Dark skin, short legs supporting broad chests, evil eyes, fanged mouths…  they are ugly, but agile and robust.
Up front, Shalronel releases her arrow that strikes the nasty orc rushing towards her.  It hits the Orc with great force, halting it in mid-stride, knocking its fetid breath from its rotten mouth…  but the Orc has some sort of leather and metal armor, and the arrow lodges amongst the iron-rings, not piercing through.  The Orc was going to launch its spear, but drops it, reeling from the arrow…  before recovering and coming at Shalronel with its bent sword raised, and a snarl on its lips.

Behind, Bern lets a black feathered arrow fly from his Great Bow, and it smacks into another Orc Soldier, smashing through its buckler, and lodging itself in the beast’s arm…  the Orc falls to the ground, passed out and bleeding out.  It never had time to toss its spear.

Bés hurls her throwing axe at another Orc Soldier, but fails to compensate, and the axe flies past its mark and embeds itself in the smokehouse door.  However, the Orc does duck, and thus is thrown of his mark as he tosses his spear, ineffectively.

A fourth Orc Soldier throws his spear at the Hobbit…  and was about to hit Andwise, who, luckily, was half-turning to put his notebook away behind his back, and thus did not even realize how close the Orc spear came!, as it sailed past his turned head.

Behind, two other Goblins, clad in simple leather, stood behind their companions, and pulled back on their Bows’ made of horn:  one arrow flew at Shalronel – missing –, the other at Bern, grazing his forearm, and stinging him, drawing some blood as the arrow-head makes a gash.
OOC:  loss of 6 Endurance for Bern - first Free People's blood drawn!

As Shalronel moves to take a rearward stance, the Orc she wounded and another Soldier close in on her, forcing her to stop her movement. She must face them in Close Quarters.  Shalronel must choose how to fight, in which Stance, dropping her bow to go for a blade.

Bern pulls his spear from the ground and takes a step, fighting in an Open stance, to stop the last Soldier from passing him towards Andwise…
…Andwise who grips his short sword, and takes a defensive stance, looking to see what his next move will be.

Bés steps up, moving forward, into the fight, gripping the long-hafted axe in both hands: "Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!"…  one of the Goblin Archers growls and, feeling threatened by Bés, drops its bow and pulls a jagged knife, coming towards the dwarf with fiery hate.

The last Orc, the remaining one with the bow, prepares to shoot again from the back-- when a big grey beast, mighty Shadrach, leaps at it from the side, snapping its neck in one bite!

The fight continues, and you act first against those who attacked you.
Glancing around at the Inn, the sun that has just set, bringing new darkness to the sky, you try to assess the battlefield.



OOC:  roll for your Battle and then act (with successes, you gain d6's to use, or give to others to use)

OOC: "The TN of an opening volley should actually be 12, so I could use Hope to make that a hit" -> the TN is 12 (for Ranged Combat) + the Parry score of the Enemy (so 15 or more in this case)
Bern Asheye
 player, 8 posts
Thu 4 Sep 2014
at 04:04
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bern cringe in pain as the orcish arrows bite into his flesh... a shadow of fear cross his heart as he recall the foul creatures use poisons in their arrows and even a glancing slash would be enough to leave wasting damage in him.

Gripping his spear in shaking hands he move forward trying to ram the spear into one of the orcs.




06:58, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 12 (9 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 5 (Feat Die), 3, 4. Battle roll.

06:59, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 9 (6 if weary): a failure with the Eye of Sauron (complications) using the The One Ring with a target of 12 with rolls of 11 (Feat Die), 3, 6. Attack orc.

If spending a Hope point would turn this from a fail to a success Bern would do so.


Loremaster
 GM, 82 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Thu 4 Sep 2014
at 05:42
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
OOC:  rule description

Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
Bern rolled a 9 (since the 11 does not count - and adds a dot in Eye Awareness) with a 6.
In open stance, the base TN is 9, so you need 9 + the Enemy's Parry to hit (plus or minus any outside factors, of which there are none right now).  The Orc Soldier has a Parry of 3 plus 1 for his Buckler (total of 4).  Meaning you have a TN of 13 this round.
So, 1 Hope means you add your Body of 5 to the roll:  9+5 = 14, so you would hit (if you used the Great Bow, favored for you, you would add the Favored Body).
Result:  Bern spends the point of Hope and thus hits, for 5 damage (the Spear) + 5 (your Damage, which is your Body stat') because of the 6 you had rolled.  A total damage of 10.
I will wait for the others to act before describing, especially Bés, who is in Forward Stance (base TN 6) and thus acts first.


Andwise Rumble
 player, 11 posts
Thu 4 Sep 2014
at 10:00
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Whoosh! something whizzes past close to Andwise's head. The shaking of his hands increase as all around him the clash of battle and the scream of dead and dying pound on his ears.
He watches as the tall, grim looking Dalesman, Bern, steps in front of him to head off the fast approaching orc.
With his notebook safely stored behind his back, he now uses both hands to grip the sword, it still shakes but perhaps a little less so.
In his imagination he screams "The Shire" and launches himself into battle, but in reality he continues his defensive stance, and makes a very small whimpering sound.
He had never thought jorneying could be so fraught, yes he had heard tales of things beyond the Shire, but it was one thing to hear tales of Orcs, quite another to encounter one in the flesh, so to speak.

OOC: Andwise continues his defensive stance and keeps watch over Bern's back
Loremaster
 GM, 85 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Thu 4 Sep 2014
at 10:24
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
OOC:  you can still give a stab at the orc from your Defensive Stance, if you want (no problem at all if you do not wish to).  Rules-wise it does not lower your defense etc. to attack / RP-wise it is totally up to you to do as you wish.

This message was last edited by the GM at 10:24, Thu 04 Sept 2014.

Andwise Rumble
 player, 12 posts
Thu 4 Sep 2014
at 13:19
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
With eyes half closed, possibly through concentration but more likely fear, Andwise tries a stab at the orc closing on Bern.

OOC: 14:15, Today: Andwise Rumble rolled a total of 15: a success with the Gandalf Rune using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 12 (Feat Die), 1, 2. Stab the orc attacking Bern.
Bes, child of Balin
 player, 10 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Thu 4 Sep 2014
at 14:04
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Blinded by its hatred to the danger posed by the reach of a long-hafted axe, this time it is the Goblin who miscalculates. Bés meets the Goblin head-on, slipping beneath the Goblin's guard. Her axe bites deep into the Goblin's side, coming away slick with black blood, and she roars even louder, "Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!"



09:25, Today: Bes, child of Balin rolled a total of 6 (6 if weary): a failure with the Eye of Sauron (complications) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 11 (Feat Die), 6. Combat Advantage (Battle). Darn. Waste of a perfectly good 6 on my Success die, and an Eye to boot.

09:38, Today: Bes, child of Balin rolled a total of 7 (5 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 8 with rolls of 5 (Feat Die), 1, 1. Axe Vs. Goblin Archer.
I shall spend a point of Hope to bump that result to 12, turning it into a hit which does 7 damage.
Shalronel
 player, 26 posts
Fri 5 Sep 2014
at 15:48
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Slinging her bow carefully Shalronel pulls her dagger and her sword, readying for an attack.

OOC:  Defensive stance.
Loremaster
 GM, 89 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Fri 5 Sep 2014
at 16:40
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
OOC:  Shalronel, you can roll for Battle (you have 2 dice I think) to see if you get any extra dice for the fight.  Then try to hit one of the two Orcs facing you (one is already wounded, by your arrow), rolling you Sword dice (Feat + 1 d6) to see if you hit.  The TN will be 12 (for Defensive + the Parry of the Orcs = TN 16 in this case, for their Parry + Buckler).
Shalronel
 player, 27 posts
Fri 5 Sep 2014
at 16:43
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Shalronel swings furtively at the orc in front of her, unused to using the sword.

OOC:
09:41, Today: Shalronel rolled a total of 3 (0 if weary): a failure with the Eye of Sauron (complications) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 11 (Feat Die), 3. sword attack.

09:41, Today: Shalronel rolled a total of 16: a success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 8 (Feat Die), 4, 4. battle roll.

Loremaster
 GM, 90 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Fri 5 Sep 2014
at 16:59
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bés was casting an experienced eye at the surroundings, about to decide how to use the plant pots as an advantage…  when the hateful attack of the orc stopped this planning shot.  A bit hurried, Bés had to call upon her resolve, wearing down on the hopeful thoughts, to steady the axe’s aim and slip it beneath the Goblin's guard where it bites deep into the Goblin's side, coming away slick with black blood. "Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!", the Goblin’s knees buckle, and it seems to real, barely managing to stay erect.

Hoping their was no poison on the Orcish arrow, Bern grips his spear and rams it at the Soldier in front of him, but his shaking hands will make him miss…  however, he calls upon his resolve, the Hope of the Free Peoples, and steadies his hand.  The spear goes straight, past the Orc’s buckler and smashing up against the leather and iron armor.  The spear does not open the Soldier’s belly but knocks the air out of him.  The Orc seems hurt.

Andwise sees the tall, grim looking Dalesman, Bern, ram his spear into the approaching Orc.  Is this successful strike that gives him courage?  Whatever it was, he now would have a true tale to tell!  For, his eyes half closed, Andwise tries a stab at the wounded orc, and although he does not really aim, so lucky stroke of fate guides the blade straight into the beast’s thigh.  Blood spurts!  The orc goes down.  Andwise’s eyes now pop wide open:  he killed a servant of the Shadow!
OOC:  the Gandalf means a success, and the base damage of the short sword is enough to fell the wounded orc.

Shalronel, seeing the two Orcs coming at her, carefully put her bow on her back, and drew her sword, swinging defensively at the wounded Orc, but, distraught at being up front when she had aimed at climbing the roof, the blow goes wide. She does not seem too used to close-quarters fighting.
OOC:  the Eye of Sauron (again!) means a miss.  But you got a success on your Battle roll, so, next round you can add a d6 to a combat roll - or decide to give it to a friend, narrating this through how you use something on the battlefield.

In the back, stood Calára Redleaf, her Mirkwood bow twanging as she sent two arrows at the incoming Orcs, the first one passing too high, the second hitting one of the two Soldiers facing her friend Salronel.  Blood spurts and the arrow imbeds itself in the chest of the beast, a mere inch beside its heart.  The Orc did a full turn, spinning around on itself…  before facing Shalronel once again, deeply wounded.

The Hound Shadrach, spins his mighty body at the Goblin Archer Bés wounded, and his teeth rip into the creature's thigh… sending it to the ground, dead.

Six Orcs had come around the corner, four were on the flagstones, their dark blood coloring the brand new walkway.
Shalronel stood up front, facing the remaining two - both stuck with arrows, one near death.
The deeply wounded one swung its bent sword at the Elf Maiden, missing.  But the other, the one she had hit with an arrow, probably misguided by revenge, drove its blade in a pointed attack, aimed for Shalronel's neck.  The blade hit, just where her leather armor's neck-guard ended.  The blade rammed home, bruising her, and the point dug into the hard-boiled leather...
OOC:  I rolled an 11 (Eye of Sauron) for one of the two, but no 6's.  So Shalronel gets 4 damage and must roll Protection vs. the Piercing Blow.  The Injury rate of the blade is 12, so you roll your armor (2d for leather corslet) plus the Fate Die of course, and you may add a 3rd d6 from your Battle roll anyhow (and, if really needed, +5 from Body by spending Hope).

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:00, Fri 05 Sept 2014.

Shalronel
 player, 28 posts
Fri 5 Sep 2014
at 17:09
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
OOC: 10:08, Today: Shalronel rolled a total of 20: a great success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 9 (Feat Die), 6, 5. armor roll.
Bern Asheye
 player, 9 posts
 END 28/22
 Hope 15/14
Fri 5 Sep 2014
at 17:23
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
For one fleeting heart beat the tall Dale-man gave the hobbit a smile then he turns to see one of the elf maiden being slashed with the orcish brutish blade. Enrage thinking not of himself the tall Bern leap forward spinning his spear shouting "For Dale and king Bard." ramming the spear toward the orc that hurt the elf maiden.

OOC:

Change to forward stance (base TN:6)
20:20, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 12: a success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 9 with rolls of 6 (Feat Die), 2, 4. Attack orc.

Shalronel
 player, 30 posts
Fri 5 Sep 2014
at 18:01
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Shalronel swings at the brutish, stinky orc in front of her.  She feels the righteous might of goodness inside of her well up.

10:59, Today: Shalronel rolled a total of 10 (7 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 7 (Feat Die), 3. sword attack.

Can a spend a hope point to hit?

Bes, child of Balin
 player, 12 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Fri 5 Sep 2014
at 18:26
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bés approvingly eyes the great hound as she tugs her axe free of the Goblin's carcass. "There's a good lad, Shadrach!" Swinging her weapon in a broad arc, she buries its head in the opposite side of one of the remaining Orc Soldiers.



14:13, Today: Bes, child of Balin rolled a total of 12 (7 if weary): a success (failure if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 10 with rolls of 7 (Feat Die), 3, 2. Axe Vs. Orc Soldier. Some poor Orc takes 7 damage.
Loremaster
 GM, 94 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Fri 5 Sep 2014
at 22:55
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
The two remaining, already wounded Orcs, fall.
And, for a second, the craziness of the sudden attack gives place to silence.

OOC: I will narrate and give the situation in a few hours, but the first fight is over. Victory!
Calara Redleaf
 player, 15 posts
Sat 6 Sep 2014
at 01:05
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Calára looses several arrows and watches as one bites deep into her target. The foul Yrch fall before their attack, but she hisses in disgust as their black blood stains the earth. Their stench is unwelcome in this land, so near to the borders of her beloved Mirkwood. "The little folk of the Shire should not have to look upon their wicked faces." She slings her bow in the aftermath and bids the townsfolk haste in preparing a fire. As surely as the orcs will stink when burned, worse still is the reek of their bloating corpses.

She goes first to Shalronel to make sure that her fellow Elf is alright. "Sad that you must be forced into battle with these evil creatures, but I think you will survive. Your wounds are not as serious as I had feared."
Shalronel
 player, 31 posts
Sat 6 Sep 2014
at 01:15
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
As the last orc falls Shalronel quickly moves to check on the hobbits, making sure none of them are hurt.  Passing by the corpses of the orcs she shivers, "Vile, nasty creatures." then looks up to the sun for comfort, soaking in its raw beauty.
Loremaster
 GM, 95 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Sat 6 Sep 2014
at 04:26
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Shalronel’s leather armor withstood the blow from the Orc’s bent blade, but, even had it not done so, the Elf Maiden was swift enough to react and twist her body to avoid a direct impact at the very last moment.  The blow ended up winding her, and maybe she would later have a bruise, but she had avoided being skewered.

With a  brief smile at Andwise, Bern reacts against the Orc that Shalronel just avoided and pierces it dead with his spear. “For Dale and king Bard”, he cries, just as Shalronel’s sword passes right through the spot the Orc was a second before:  she would have dropped it too…

Bés calls out to the hound as she pulls her axe free, and immediately swings it around:  the last Orc’s head is cracked, and the creature falls to the ground.

Shadrach leaps past Andwise, and dashes inside the inn, where you hear Hobbit voices, including the high-pitched squeals of the two Brandybuck sons.

Calára shoots twice, assuring the last two Orcs are dead, hissing in disgust as their black blood stains the earth. "The little folk of the Shire should not have to look upon their wicked faces", she says, slinging her bow in the aftermath and looking around for Brandybucks – that can be hear inside – or some of the workers, as she moves to Shalronel, to see how she is doing: "Sad that you must be forced into battle with these evil creatures, but I think you will survive. Your wounds are not as serious as I had feared".

Shalronel, who was moving back past the Orc bodies close to you, shivering: "Vile, nasty creatures", looking up for the sun…  but night has just fallen, as the Goblins moved in.
Shalronel moves to the inn’s door, hearing the voices of the Hobbit owners inside, trying to calm their children.

Six dead Orcs lie around you, and, for a second, the craziness of the sudden attack gives place to silence.

But only for a second, for, now that the sound of fighting has subsided here, you hear yelling, grunting and the clash of metal up metal coming from close by, down towards the small village set up by the workers.


OOC:  Bés, Bern & Calára each have spent 1 point of Hope, Bern's Endurance has dropped by 6, Calára's by 4 (since the fighting might not be over, I will wait before tallying this up:  you can recuperate half your recently loss Endurance by resting for a half an hour or so, catching your breath...)
Shalronel
 player, 32 posts
Sat 6 Sep 2014
at 06:51
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Shalronel smile up at the moon instead, then frowns at the sound of more battle and draws her bow once again.  She begins moving towards the small village to help out there, nocking an arrow as she goes.
Andwise Rumble
 player, 14 posts
Sat 6 Sep 2014
at 07:47
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
“Hurrah”, mutters Andwise in a barely audible whisper. “Andwise Rumble the Bold”. He reddens slightly at the smile from the tall dalesman. Praise indeed, and surely praise deserved for a worthwhile action. He bends and uses a scrap of the dead orc’s ragged clothes to wipe the foul, black blood from his swords glittering blade.
As he rises back to his full height, a height enhanced from the pride instilled by his fine display of battle prowess, he casts his eye over the dead creatures. So this is what it is like to take part in a battle, just wait until the folks back in the shire read of this in my book ‘Andwise Rumble a Tale of a Wanderer’. He frowns as his thoughts are disturbed by sounds of more fighting somewhere in the village.
Bern Asheye
 player, 11 posts
 END 28/22
 Hope 15/14
Sat 6 Sep 2014
at 12:45
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bern rested on his spear his ash colored gaze covering the field of the dead orcs. Only when the sounds of battle dies does he hear the sounds of commotion from the village and fear creep into his heart. This must have been a scout force and the majority of the force was attacking the village.

Without a thought for his own safety the Dale's man grab his spear and shout "To the village enemies are upon it..." and begin running toward the sounds of combat.
Bes, child of Balin
 player, 14 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Sat 6 Sep 2014
at 13:38
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Hearing the din from the nearby hamlet, Bés pauses only long enough to retrieve her throwing axe before dashing along the path on the heels of her companions. "No time for rest now, Master Hobbit," she calls back to Andwise. "Stay with the Brandybuck kin and guard the Inn lest any more Orcs threaten!"
Calara Redleaf
 player, 16 posts
Sat 6 Sep 2014
at 17:06
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
"Grim are the times in which such peaceful folk may not build a simple inn without the spilling of blood. I will pass from this world ere I let it be the blood of these innocent folk!" Calára draws her bow and plucks an arrow swiftly from her quiver, running toward the village with it at the ready in her fingertips.
Andwise Rumble
 player, 15 posts
Sat 6 Sep 2014
at 19:37
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
"I fear them not" cries Andwise, carried away in the moment. Fortunately reality steps in and he realises the sense of the Elf females words.
As the others rush towards the din from the village, he, sword gripped in a hand that shakes no more, runs towards the inn's door, "Open a friend comes"
Loremaster
 GM, 98 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Sat 6 Sep 2014
at 20:59
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bern starts running toward the sounds of combat, spear in hand : "To the village enemies are upon it...".

Looking down from the moon, a frowning Shalronel nocks an arrow and follows Bern, just like Calára, bow at the ready too
Bés dashes along the path after them, calling out to Andwise : "Guard the Inn lest any more Orcs threaten!"
Andwise breaks out his thoughts of pride and wonder at this incredible battle he just fought, and sword gripped in a hand that shakes no more, he runs towards the inn's door, "Open a friend comes".

The door to the inn had remained open, and Andwise looks inside, seeing Shadrach firmly guarding the two young Hobbit boys, while the parents busy themselves, closing the shutters and barring them, all shaken up: “Oh my, oh my!”

The group of four jogs along the path, leaving the dead Orcs behind.
Heading towards the sound of fighting, they go through some trees, and come out into the clearing beside the Inn’s grounds proper, where the workers were camping through the winter, and that now looks like a village might be coming to life. Several wooden long-houses, a pair of barns to stock wheat from the neighboring fields, fair sized gardens…  that are being trampled by iron-shod Orc feet.
Because, right now, it is a battle-field, illuminated by the campfires, under the darkening sky.
Many brutish Orc Soldiers and flat-faced Goblin Archers fight the settlers.
People have fallen.
Blood is being spilt.


OOC:  all make an Awareness or Battle test, whichever is highest for you.  TN 14.  To see how you assess the situation, what you spot as going on and such.
Shalronel
 player, 33 posts
Sat 6 Sep 2014
at 22:46
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Shalronel pauses looking over the battle to see how she can best put her bow to use helping the workmen.

15:44, Today: Shalronel rolled a total of 16: a great success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 8 (Feat Die), 6, 2. Awareness roll.

There is a line under my Awareness skill?  oes that mean I can spend a hope to get a better success?

Bern Asheye
 player, 12 posts
 END 28/22
 Hope 15/14
Sun 7 Sep 2014
at 03:47
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
No... not again...

Were Bern thoughts as he watch the village burns his ash colored eyes glinting in the flame. Its Lake town allover again...

He was there when the drake came from the mountain and burned down the city... No! this will not repeat itself he assured himself gripping spear in hand.

06:45, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 15: a great success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 5 (Feat Die), 4, 6. Awareness roll.
Bes, child of Balin
 player, 15 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Sun 7 Sep 2014
at 19:44
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bés spies marauding Orcs and pauses for only half a heartbeat before plunging into the fray, the clearing echoing with her battlecry. "Ware the Goblins," she shouts over her shoulder as she passes her comrades. "They're most dangerous by night!"



15:36, Today: Bes, child of Balin rolled a total of 6 (6 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 2 (Feat Die), 4. Assess via Awareness.
Loremaster
 GM, 106 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Mon 8 Sep 2014
at 04:37
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Through the open inn door, Andwise sees the Brandybuck family finish barring the shutters, with Shadrach guarding the boys.

OOC: sorry, if I was not clear, but Andwise can act, here, of course.

-------------------------------

Bés, filled with hatred for the vile creatures that fight her kin in all places, does not take time to assess the battlefield, but rushes into the fray, calling out with a warning. She races over towards the closest group of Orc-kind.

Shalronel and Bern both take in the scene with a strangely calm eye, going over many details in just seconds, seeing the attackers' numbers, how they are grouped, what their strategy seems to be: the Orcs came through the trees to the north, in one long line, and split into three groups of six - with four soldiers and two archers in each group, like the one you saw at the Inn. It is obvious to you that while two groups simply engage the workers and settlers, the third group made its way towards the central campfire, aiming for some goal. And that group has a seventh Orc, some kind of leader.  They are closing in and about to make contact with the Men and Women there.

Calára, who advanced a little slower along the path in order to check their flank, and make sure no Orcs were coming elsewhere - she only heard some distant sound of fighting further off to the South -, Calára came up beside Shalronel and Bern.

OOC:  all four of you can choose to make a Battle roll to possibly gain dice for the combat to come, then tell me what you do:  stances, actions, rolling your attacks (Initial Volley to start).
Bés will be - I assume - moving in towards the group closest to the West-side of the clearing ; for the archers, you can remain firing - probably - for some time, since the Orcs are engaging Men in the clearing, Men who are fighting back.

Shalronel
 player, 38 posts
Mon 8 Sep 2014
at 05:01
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Shalronel breathes deeply, the strength of her ancestors filling her with renewed purpose, she slowly draws her arrow and lets it fly toward the leader of the orcs.  She watches with satisfaction as the arrow flies true and strikes the orc.

OOC: 21:57, Today: Shalronel rolled a total of 22: an extraordinary success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 10 (Feat Die), 6, 6. battle roll.

HOLY CRAP!  I do not know what that means but I know it is good....lol

21:59, Today: Shalronel rolled a total of 15 (13 if weary): a great success (failure if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 7 (Feat Die), 2, 6. Bow Attack initial volley.

Andwise Rumble
 player, 16 posts
Mon 8 Sep 2014
at 13:18
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Puffing, through exertion and excitement, Andwise enters the inn, closing and barring the door behind him.

Taking a swift look around and noting Shadrach standing guard over the boys while the Brandybuck's rush hither and thither closing and barring the windows, he shakes his head, "T'will not hold I'm afraid we are but three and I fear they are many, and although the beast there is probably the best of us he cannot defeat all who may come against us. We need somewhere with but one entrance to defend. A cellar perhaps?"
Agatha Brandybuck
 NPC, 1 post
 Took-born
 Inn manager
Mon 8 Sep 2014
at 13:32
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Andwise sees Master Brandybuck scratching his head, and muttering: "Oh my, oh my!".
Agatha looks at you, then around the Inn, glancing behind the counter.  She waves the kitchen knife she has in hand, pointing the direction:  "Over there, under the trap door."
Bes, child of Balin
 player, 17 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Mon 8 Sep 2014
at 14:40
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bés rushes immediately toward the group of villagers that seems nearest to being overcome, shouting as she enters the fray. "Hold fast! Hold fast! Free Peoples of the North, hold fast!"



14:51, Today: Bes, child of Balin rolled a total of 2 (1 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 1 (Feat Die), 1. Combat Advantage (Battle). Meh. Will take an Open Stance and forego my attack to make an Inspire test to bolster the villagers' morale.

10:32, Today: Bes, child of Balin rolled a total of 12 (12 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 2 (Feat Die), 5, 5. Bolster Villagers' Morale (Inspire). Will spend a point of Hope to add my favoured Heart. Total increases to 19, which is an ordinary success.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:52, Mon 08 Sept 2014.

Bern Asheye
 player, 15 posts
 END 28/22
 Hope 15/14
Mon 8 Sep 2014
at 17:10
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bern eyes reflect the red of the flame as he takes his bow and following the elf maiden Shalronel aim and release his own arrow at of the goblins being lead by the brutish orc.

Following that his eyes scan the burning village as he rush forward spear set forward to intercept the orc group.




OOC


19:59, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 16 (13 if weary): a success (failure if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 9 (Feat Die), 3, 4. Opening volley on orc leader.

I doubt this would hit but if so let it be :)

19:58, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 10 (8 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 2 (Feat Die), 6, 2. Battle roll.

Spend 1 Hope point to turn this into a success.

Andwise Rumble
 player, 17 posts
Mon 8 Sep 2014
at 18:51
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
With some haste, Andwise rushes to the trapdoor which Agatha had indicated. Reaching down he pulls open the trapdoor, having sheathed his sword first. "Quick, quick in here all, then we must bar this trapdoor untill it is safe to come out" He glances towards the door through which he had come, fearing to hear a thud of axe against wood or the guttural speech of the enemy.
Dodinas Brandybuck
 NPC, 4 posts
 Dody
 Bartender
Mon 8 Sep 2014
at 19:53
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
"What is happening?", asks the owner, as his wife ushers the children down the wooden ladder. "Could I not go and talk to them? Offer some sausage? I mean, my oh my, everyone loves sausage!"

This message was last edited by the player at 19:54, Mon 08 Sept 2014.

Andwise Rumble
 player, 18 posts
Mon 8 Sep 2014
at 20:24
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
"My dear Brandybuck, I suggest you hurry after your wife and children, for I fear that the creaatures that lurk without are more likely to seek a different meat than a sausage" Andwise looks around, his sudden hunger outweighing any fear of orc or goblin, "Sausage! You have sausages? I fear it has been a long while since my last meal and starvation may yet overcome me" As if in confirmation his stomach emits a low growl.
Loremaster
 GM, 116 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 06:18
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Andwise pushes Dody along by the shoulders, not fleeing the feared axe blows to the inn door as much as fueled by the urge to see what sausages are in the cellar.
Dody drops down through the trap, with a loud "Ouch!", and Andwise moves to go down the steps after him.
Andwise Rumble
 player, 19 posts
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 11:05
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Depite an increasing desire for sausage (everwhere Andwise now looked all he saw was sausages sizzling in the pan, all he could smell was the aroma produced by fat Shire sausages, all he could hear was the loud sizzling as they cooked). He managed to drag his attention back to the situation in hand, with the Brandybuck's safe in the cellar he glanced over at the large, fierce looking dog, black blood still staining the hair around its mouth, "Coming, or are you eager to rejoin the fight outside"
Loremaster
 GM, 118 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 20:31
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bés takes no time to assess the battlefield, simply glancing around and seeing the group of Orcs closest to her – to the West of the clearing, on the Inn-side – moving in on some Woodsmen tents, where children dash to safety while the men and wives grab lumber axes and kitchen knives to face the enemy.
Dashing straight towards the battle that is about to be joined, Bés calls out, putting power into the call, fueling it with her Orc hatred, and her Hope for Peace and love for the Free Peoples.  A pair of arrows fly at the Woodmen group, one hitting a running child square in the back.  The girl falls to her knees, a stunned look on her face.  Her mouth opens in a silent cry, and then she starts to topple forward, her eyes fluttering…
As Bés moves to place herself at the front of the attacked group, beside the defending parents, facing the Orcs, her powerful voice rings out: "Free Peoples of the North, hold fast!".
Glancing rapidly over her shoulder, she sees the wounded girl rally to the call:  she opens her eyes, and starts to try and get up again…
No time to see what is happening next with her, because the Orcs are upon the little group of defenders.

OOC:  this move heals lost Endurance (2 points in this case, normal success).



Standing at the edge of the clearing, Shalronel breathes deeply, the strength of her ancestors filling her with renewed purpose as she clears her mind to focus on the great view she had of the battlefield, plotting the Orc Leader’s course in her mind.  She slowly draws her arrow and lets it fly, not toward the leader of the orcs, but towards where she believes he will be seeing the terrain and his goal.
She watches with satisfaction as the arrow flies true and is about to strike the orc.

OOC:  Shalronel rolled a total of 20:  a great success with a target of 18 with rolls of 7 (Feat Die), 2, 6 + 5 (Battle die). Bow Attack initial volley.  The 18 TN comes from: conditions add 2 to the TN, so it passes from 12 (basic ranged stance) to 14, and 4 more for the Orc’s parry (18).
+ 2 Dice left to use in this Combat



Bern's ash colored eyes reflect the red of the flame:  burning red on pale white, quite scary.  His anger born of the trauma of his past fuels his resole, and helps him assess what is going on.

OOC:  Hope point spent adds 6 to Battle roll, giving 16 which is a success, and since you had 6 Tengwar, that is a Great success:  2 extra dice for this fight.


He takes his bow and following the elf maiden Shalronel’s aim, he too plots the Orc Leader’s intended progress, and releases his own arrow…  aiming it at an Orc Soldier following its leader.  The arrow flies true, and seems to be a hit.

OOC: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 17, a success with a target of 17 with rolls of 9 (Feat Die), 3, 4 + 1 from the Battle Die (the TN of 17 comes from:  12 from ranged stance + 2 for bad conditions + 3 for Parry of Orc Soldier – since he is not using his shield against you he does not get another +1 – which would have had you miss! – so: 17 total).
So, sorry for rolling the Battle die for you, but, actually, even the 1 was enough to make it a hit.
+ 1 Die left to use in this Combat.


For both the Elf and Man it is not an easy shot:  they are at the same level as their target, and, though the distance is not great, there are many people moving around between it and them.

Then, as the point of Shalronel’s arrow is about to pierce the Orc’s leather vest, the beast, reacting as fast as a snake, drops to its left, lowering its upper body backwards, letting the arrow graze the armor…  but miss!
Did you actually see it grin an evil smile?

OOC:  more advanced opponents have special moves.  But do not feel totally cheated, because they must fuel these moves with Hate points, thus “hitting”, even spending extra dice or Hope etc., helps, since, once those points are spent, no more special moves.

Bern’s arrow, however, does hit, and the Orc yells out in pain.

OOC: 7 damage to Orc Soldier.

Happy for his hit, Bern moves down to intercept the orc group towards the center of the clearing, passing the south – and the right – of the group Bés was now facing.

Behind, Calára, who had just come up beside Shalronel and Bern, kept looking to the South, trying to figure out what the sounds of distant sound of fighting were.

As you noticed, the main fight might be taking place in the center of the clearing, where the nimble Orc leader was moving in to face a Man, who had just moved to place himself smartly with the campfire to his back, and cast his spear against the Leader - missing him.
Now grimacing, the Man - Berangar -  sweeps up a long-handled axe, readying himself for the onslaught of the Orc group.
Behind him, a mother moves to gather her children and newborn baby, and her husband grabs a wood axe to come help the Man.

__________________


Back at the Inn, the Hound Shadrach looks up at Andwise, and down at the trap, as though motioning the Hobbit to go down to the cellar.
Then the Hound walks over and pushes its flank against the open trap, motioning to close it.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:32, Tue 09 Sept 2014.

Bern Asheye
 player, 18 posts
 END 28/22
 Hope 15/13
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 20:41
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
"For Dale for King Bard..." with that rally cry Bern rush forward spear spinning in hands attacking the group of Orcs, there were so many of them but he had his target his arrow already sticking true from its side.

Bern had hope that his shout would distract the Orc leader enough to let this other man, a hero no doubt protecting a mother and her children the chance to strike true.




OOC:

Take Open Stance

Give 1 battle dice to Berangar, none remain

23:39, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 8 (6 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 6 (Feat Die), 1, 1. Attack wounded orc.

I am not sure I can beat this number even with spending Hope, I'll spend the point if its a hit.

Shalronel
 player, 41 posts
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 23:43
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Shalronel quickly draws and nocks another arrow preparing to fire at the spawn of Sauron yet again, "Your hate shall run out far before I am ready to yield this battle to you foul one." she says as she lets her next arrow fly.

OOC:  Well pooh

16:42, Today: Shalronel rolled a total of 15 (13 if weary): a success (failure if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 4 (Feat Die), 4, 5, 2. 2nd bow shot, +1 battle die.

This isn't worth a hope I guess....:p

Berangar
 player, 6 posts
Wed 10 Sep 2014
at 03:41
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
In the momentary distraction provided by the Barding, Berangar launches himself at the orc, cleaving downward with his axe.


OOC:

23:27, Today: Berangar rolled a total of 11 (8 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 3 (Feat Die), 1, 2, 5. attack with axe.

Open Stance.

Drat!  I don't think that connects -- I didn't set the TN properly, but I believe it's base 9 and the orc had a parry of 4+1... so, that would be TN 14.  Spending hope would hit, but I don't think it would be worth it for 5 end of damage. 

Andwise Rumble
 player, 20 posts
Wed 10 Sep 2014
at 14:16
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
"Don't shove, I'm going" Andwise gives the hound a look of goodbye and climbs into the cellar pulling the trapdoor shut behind him. Standing on the stairs, crouching beneath the trapdoor, he glances at the Brandybuck's below. "Quickly hand me something to bar this door"
As he waits he sniffs the air, "Quickly, or the sausages will burn" He pauses and looks around eyes wide with fear, "And mushrooms, you do have mushrooms? And maybe a rasher or six of nice crispy bacon"
He smiles at the look of despair within Agatha's eyes, "Your pardon madam, but all this excitement has made me quite hungry"
Bes, child of Balin
 player, 18 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Wed 10 Sep 2014
at 17:24
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bés sweeps her long-hafted axe in a wide arc, clearing a space before and around her. "Back! Back with you spawn of Nargûn!" Singling out one of the Orc Soldiers, she fells the foul creature with a single axe-stroke.



12:33, Today: Bes, child of Balin rolled a total of 14: a great success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 13 with rolls of 7 (Feat Die), 1, 6. Axe Vs. Orc Soldier. The Orc takes 7 Axe + 5 Body = 12 damage.
Loremaster
 GM, 121 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Wed 10 Sep 2014
at 23:28
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
As the Orcs attacked, flowing into the clearing with their harsh war cry, the inn-builders and settler-farmers attracted by this new place, single or with families, reacted as Wilderlanders are apt:  safety for the young, and fighting for the others.  Used to combat and hard times, the Man-folk in the camp – mainly Woodmen, with a few Beornings – rose to the challenge, and put their life on the line… once again, probably not for the last time.
There was about half a dozen families in the camp, and a dozen other people, mainly male, but a few women too.

To the West, Bés faced the half a dozen Orcs, and saw two fathers and an older son come to help her, as well as two other men.  Meanwhile, the others – the mothers, teen-aged children, and a man and a woman, fell back towards the south side of the clearing, slowly and warily, with all the children in the center of their group, protected.  The young girl Bés had urged back to her feet cast a thankful glance at the Dwarf.
After the two arrows, now came four spears, tossed by the Orcs closing in.
Only one connected, hitting the teen-aged Woodman boy square in the chest, nearly knocking him to his feet.
Furious, Bés, sweeps her long-hafted axe in a wide arc at that Orc, the one that wounded the bow, and made it pay, felling it in one blow to the side of the head.
The two fathers stepped up, fighting defensively, wearing their cloth shirts, but wielding axes.  One connected, wounding an Orc with a grazing blow.  The other did not, nor did the wounded boy.
Shooting arrows over the fight, the two Goblin archers aimed for the fleeing family… and one arrow went straight through the neck of one of the mother’s, killing her before her body fell to the ground.  The sound of the fall freezing her children, who stopped in their tracks, and just stared at their fallen parent.
The three Orcs came in swinging their dark-metal bent swords.  Bés and one of the fathers avoided the blows, but another one got cut quite badly across the chest, blood staining his tunic.

At the heart of the clearing, towards where Shalronel is shooting, and Berangar and Bern face the Orc Leader and its evil minions, the families rise to the occasion, with Hardgar coming to bolster the defense, with one of his sons, another father, and one man.

Meanwhile, Hardgar’s wife, Winnea, picking baby El up in her arms, gather the children, helped by a mother and another woman, aiming to fall back.

Two Goblins shoot, missing the retreating families, before one dies, hit by Calára.

The four Orc Soldiers hurl their spears:  three miss and one bashes into the thigh of the father, making him limp slightly.

From the Western edge, Shalronel fired another arrow at the Orc leader, missing.

Beside her, Calára snapped out of her observations, and shot two arrows, summoning hidden reserves... and felling one of the Goblin Archers to the West, where Bés was.

Bern shouts, calling to Dale and his King Bard, and he puts Hope into this call, helping it guide his hand, spinning his spear, but, again, just as he is going to hit the Leader, it bend backwards, grinning and avoiding the blow with preternatural speed.

OOC: the spent point of Hope was a hit, but the Hate fuelled move makes it a miss.


Using the distraction provided by the Barding, Berangar launches himself at the orc, cleaving downward with his axe, but he is thrown off, in turn, by the Orc leader’s strange move, and the blow misses.

The men alongside you fight too, but the only one who connects, is Hardgar’s son, with a lucky blow against an Orc Soldier, the one wounded before, that falls, bleeding out.

The Goblin archers miss with their arrows, as do two of the Orcs, with their curved blades. One the Orcs connects, cutting Hardgar’s forearm.  Blood trickles down his hand.
The Orc Leader grins, and swings his large two handed scimtar.
The brutal, heavy blade, meant to hack enemies to pieces, comes crashing down against the single Woodman to the right of the group, opening the man’s scalp with a very vicious blow.

To the East, you cannot see that well, but it seems the same:  men and woman facing the Orcs, while a couple adults try to move the children to safety.  You do see one Orc Soldier fall.

Back at the Inn, Andwise takes the heavy metal bar Agatha hands him, and is about to block the trapdoor from within, when he pauses:  from the cellar's rafters hang row upon row of sausages.  Big long ones, short fat ones, thin lines of sausage links...
His mouth drops open.
Shalronel
 player, 42 posts
Wed 10 Sep 2014
at 23:42
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Shalronel begins humming a song as she nocks another arrow and lets loose at the vile orc leader, something happy that she remembers her mother singing to her as a child. Her heart fills with warmth at the fond memories as she watches the arrow arc over the battle field towards the leader.

OOC: 16:38, Today: Shalronel rolled a total of 17: a great success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 4 (Feat Die), 6, 2, 5. bow with last battle die.

Spending hope if need be to hit.

Andwise Rumble
 player, 21 posts
Thu 11 Sep 2014
at 01:28
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Now, now, thinks Andwise repressing the urge to throw down the iron bar and rush to the sausage links. First I must look to safety, he takes the bar and slots it into the brackets sealing the trapdoor.
"There,that should hold". Dusting his hands he climbs down the remainder of the steps into the main cellar, all the time keeping his eyes on the many and varied sausages that hang from the rafters.

"Now, where were we?" he turns to Dodinas Brandybuck, eyes as bright as the brass buttons on his plaid waistcoat, "Oh yes dear Mr Brandybuck, sausages".

I would like to think that Andwise was alert to any noise above, but in truth his attention is thrall to his appetite, as any good Hobbit's should be, and oh! there are so many sausages
Bern Asheye
 player, 20 posts
 END 28/22
 Hope 15/12
Thu 11 Sep 2014
at 15:56
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Ash eyes burning red in the flame Bern turn cold as the icy lake upon which he was born. He feint upward with the spear and in the last second turn his steel tipped spear toward the leader tight.

OOC

Forward Stance

18:54, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 12: a great success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 2 with rolls of 4 (Feat Die), 2, 6. Spear attack orc leader.

Should hit him but if not, spend Hope :)

Berangar
 player, 8 posts
Thu 11 Sep 2014
at 16:24
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Berangar presses his attack on the big Orc leading the band, putting all his strength and mass of muscle behind his blow to bring it crashing down on the fiend.

OOC:

Open Stance

12:15, Today: Berangar rolled a total of 10 (7 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 13 with rolls of 1 (Feat Die), 6, 3. attack with axe.

I believe I may be off on one or two for the TN, either way, Berangar would miss, but will spend a point of Hope to make the miss into a great success, with the 6 rolled.  12 damage total if that gets through.

He seems to like to dodge and weave, maybe between Bern and Berangar, he might have a bit more than he can avoid! 

Bes, child of Balin
 player, 23 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Thu 11 Sep 2014
at 18:53
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bés follows her prior stroke with an even more powerful one against the next Orc Soldier to step within the reach of her long-hafted axe. The weight of its head as it impacts the Orc's collarbone staggers the creature and bites deep.



14:29, Today: Bes, child of Balin rolled a total of 21: a success with the Gandalf Rune using the The One Ring with a target of 13 with rolls of 12 (Feat Die), 5, 4. Axe Vs. Orc Soldier. Piercing Blow! The Orc takes 7 damage, and must roll Protection vs. an Injury rating of 20 or become Wounded.
Loremaster
 GM, 124 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Thu 11 Sep 2014
at 19:55
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
On the West side of the clearing, Bés swings her long-hafted axe, and as it impacts the Orc's collarbone, the blade cuts above the creature’s Armor and bites right into the flesh, crushing bone, and half decapitating the Orc.  One less servant of the Shadows.
The Woodsmen swing their short handled axes, and one connects with a mighty blow, dropping the wounded Orc.
The last Orc soldier backpedals, missing.  But the Goblin Archer sends an arrow that grazes the top of the wounded son’s scalp.

In the Center, Bern’s eyes flashed an ice cold red, and he feinted with the spear, the Orc Leader springing with its Shadow-Hatred fueled agility to avoid the Barding who had moved Forward in a bold act.  But, then, feinting, Bern spun around and caught the Leader in the flank, piercing the armor and wounding the Orc.

OOC:  to keep the Great Success, I spent 1 Hope, which makes you pass the bonus the Orc gets from its Hate spent.

The Orc Leader bellows, and spins to protect its wounded flank, when Berangar swings his axe, putting his Hope and aiming true.

OOC:  same as for Bern, to keep the Great Success, I spent 1 Hope, which makes you pass the bonus the Orc gets from its Hate spent (17 vs 17TN!).

The long hafted axe swings in a long arc, and bashes into the Orc’s unwounded flank just as it lands.  Unable to avoid the iron blade, it gurgles, and topples to the ground, nearly cut in twain.

OOC: 10+12=22 Endurance in round, more than the poor critter had.

From the West Side, shooting towards the Center, Shalronel’s bowstrings twings louder than her song.  Seeing the Leader topple under the double blows, she had turned her aim to one of the Goblin Archers in the center field.  The Arrow goes through the armpit of the Orc’s raised arm, straight to the heart.  Dead before toppling over.

OOC:  no Hope needed: 12 for Stance + 2 for shooting through the fight upfront +2 for Parry.

Beside Shalronel, Calára shoots and misses.
In the Center, the Men fight alongside Bern and Berangar, and the wounded Father manages to hit an Orc hard in the face with his axe handle.
But, just as he is about to smile, an Orc arrow hits him in the cheek, cutting his skin.  He scowls.
The three Orcs wielding their blades manage to hit Hardgar, wounding him slightly again, and the single man, already badly wounded is cut down, an Orc slashing through his throat, nearly taking his head off.
The leader is down, but the Orcs are drawing blood.

To the East, you see the two Men swinging their axes, one might have connected, but it is obvious that the other man cracked an Orc skull open, killing it one blow.  The family cheers him on, seeing this as a sign of Light against Darkness.
The Goblins shoot too high, missing, and the Orc Soldiers swing their gloomy-bladed curved blades, and one slashes the boy who is fighting, wounding him.

Back at the Inn, Andwise safely secures the trapdoor, shutting off the light from above.  All is pitch dark for a few seconds, before Agatha turns the lamp higher, and the light shines off the tips of the sausages above, showing the bottom of them.  The rest disappearing into the darkness.
Dody looks at you: "Sausages?!  So, we feed the Orcs after all?"
Andwise Rumble
 player, 24 posts
Thu 11 Sep 2014
at 20:17
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Andwise gives Dody a horrified look, "No...no, not the orcs". Thinking fast Andwise seeks to supply a reason for his sausage fixation.
"The last I saw of my brave companions, they were rushing to the village to help defend it against more of the foul villains. Surely their activities will see them return with hunger suitably stoked, as it has me. So it seems sensible to prepare a hearty feast for them when they do so"
Andwise turns to the lantern wielding Agatha, "Fetch frying pans my dear Mrs Brandybuck and bread, thick slices covered with butter. And if we have a little cheese that will make the meal more merrier"
"Ah cheese, we had excellent cheese in the Shire. Cheese worth a song, cheese that will deserve a whole chapter in my forthcoming book"
Bes, child of Balin
 player, 25 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Thu 11 Sep 2014
at 20:36
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bés lets momentum sweep her axe-blade around and into her next foe. It buries itself in the third Soldier before her, catching the Orc just above the knee and felling it immediately. Bés faces her remaining adversaries, and hefts her axe with a grim smile. "That's three. Next!"



16:20, Today: Bes, child of Balin rolled a total of 11 (10 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 13 with rolls of 4 (Feat Die), 6, 1. Axe Vs. Orc Soldier. Will spend a point of Hope to make that a great success. The Orc takes 12 damage and drops.
Bern Asheye
 player, 22 posts
 END 28/22
 Hope 15/11
Thu 11 Sep 2014
at 22:03
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
The rush of victory Bern feels as he see the orcish brute felled is replaced with horror as one of the man is slaughter and there were other fights to the east and west.

Skewing the orc leader with his spear he calls "Flee dogs of the enemies or you'll share your leaders fate..."

OOC:

Forward stance

Intimidate roll

01:00, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 13 (11 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 6 (Feat Die), 5, 2. Intimidate roll (Awe).

I think this should be enough (assuming the remaining orcs are level 3 or less), I don't know if he get a bonus for killing their leader without being wounded???

This message was last edited by the player at 22:04, Thu 11 Sept 2014.

Berangar
 player, 11 posts
Thu 11 Sep 2014
at 23:32
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
As though to emphasize the Daleman's exclamation, Berangar simply roars in rage, teeth bared, thick dark mane of tangled hair flying, as he hacks into one of the orc soldiers before him.

OOC:

Open Stance

18:21, Today: Berangar rolled a total of 17: a success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 13 with rolls of 8 (Feat Die), 4, 5. attack with axe.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:32, Thu 11 Sept 2014.

Shalronel
 player, 48 posts
Sat 13 Sep 2014
at 16:25
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Shalronel smiles as the orc leader falls to his death, then turns and fires at one of the goblin archers, deeming them the biggest threat now.

OOC: 09:22, Today: Shalronel rolled a total of 19: a great success with the Gandalf Rune using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 12 (Feat Die), 1, 6. attack.

I am guessing that I do not need to send a hope but if I do I will.

Loremaster
 GM, 126 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Sat 13 Sep 2014
at 18:13
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
In the Center, as the Orc Leader toppled to the ground, the Orcs around him hesitated for a second…  and then Bern raised his spear in a victorious flourish, screaming for the dogs to run!
The Orcs stop in their tracks, and look at one another… visibly shaken and having lost their drive.
As Berangar bellows too, seconding Bern’s war cry, he hits an Orc Soldier in the arm, as it was just standing their, distracted.
Hardgar swings his axe, and wounds another Orc Soldier.

Shooting from the West side, Shalronel shoots the last Goblin Archer present in the center of the clearing, knocking it out of the fight with an arrow to the chest.

OOC: a Gandalf Rune is an automatic success, whatever the TN (except for « impossible » tasks).

Calára shoots and hits one of the wounded Orc Soldiers, grazing its lower leg.

The three wounded Orcs facing the Men, all swing their blades, in a kind of desperate move:  one of the dark curved blades hits Hardgar’s elder son in the neck, and… simply cuts the boys head half off!  His eyes open in a frozen expression of surprise, he drops to his knees, his life gone.
The other two Orcs take their revenge on Bern, one cutting his forearm, the other going in with the blade’s point, straight at his stomach.

OOC: roll for protection vs. a TN of 12, to avoid being wounded (blade getting through the armor).  Two hits: 4 and 7 off Endurance (11 total).  This brings you to 18 lost on Endurance, so you are under your Fatigue level, meaning you are Weary:  do not count the 1, 2 & 3’s on the d6’s you roll. Good luck!

Then, the two Orcs that slashed Bern, turn around and dash towards the north, where they came from, scurrying away like the craven beasts they are, leaving the badly wounded Orc alone.

To the West, Bés cut the last Orc Soldier down at the knee, felling it like a dead tree.
The two fathers – one wounded – and the badly wounded son, a black Orc arrow still stuck in him, all rush their last opponent, cutting the remaining Goblin Archer down.
Victory on this front.

On the East side, the Men are fighting well, one father wounding an Orc, a son bashing the wounded Orc to the ground.
The remaining Orc Soldier backpedals, fighting, while the two Goblin shoot over the fighters, and one of the arrows wounds a Woodman mother, hitting her in the back as she huddles over her children, urging them Soutn.

Back at the Inn, Agatha gives Andwise a strange look  then breaks into a big smile: "Yes!  A party, a party, let’s gather things to throw a victory party!".  She looks at the boys, and smiles, jumping around, grabbing food, and the young Hobbits soon forget their fear, as they dash about choosing their favorite foods: pickled mushrooms, jams…
Agatha smiles at Andwise, thanking him for the distraction.
Bern Asheye
 player, 24 posts
 END 28/11
 Hope 15/11
Sat 13 Sep 2014
at 18:25
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bern topple down as the goblin spear slash into his belly, the sense of victory all gone from his wound and the death of another of the workers.

Wearily he pulls up leaning on his spear fearing the worse to the gut wound but to his relief finding no blood, the sturdy craftiness of Dale leather workers had saved his life.

"Men to the East protect the young ones." he shouts as his ash eyes turn on the scene in the east. His legs are shaking from effort and his vision is tinged with darkness but he push himself forward once more falling on the biggest orc he spots.

OOC:
21:17, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 20: a great success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 12 with rolls of 10 (Feat Die), 6, 4.

protection check successful - no wound

Open Stance
Attacking orc soldier in the east
21:24, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 17: a success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 8 (Feat Die), 4, 5. Attack orc in the East.

Bes, child of Balin
 player, 27 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Sat 13 Sep 2014
at 19:35
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bés spies the pair of Orcs rushing northward from the village center, and charges to intercept them. "Tend your injured foremost," she shouts back over her shoulder to the Men at whose side she had been fighting, "but leave no fallen foe unchecked!"



15:29, Today: Bes, child of Balin rolled a total of 13 (13 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 7 (Feat Die), 6. Intercept via Athletics. Will spend Hope to bump that to 18 and a great success. No escape for bad Orcs!
Shalronel
 player, 49 posts
Sat 13 Sep 2014
at 19:56
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Seeing the orcs begin retreating Shalronel smiles, "You shall not live to fight another day vermin." she says as she launches another arrow at one of the fleeing orcs.

OOC: 12:54, Today: Shalronel rolled a total of 19: a great success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 9 (Feat Die), 4, 6.
Berangar
 player, 12 posts
Sat 13 Sep 2014
at 20:19
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Continuing to attack with the fury of his kind, Berangar drives his axe down at the remaining soldier before him, driving the bright edge through the orc's armor.

OOC:

Open stance

16:13, Today: Berangar rolled a total of 20: a success with the Gandalf Rune using the The One Ring with a target of 10 with rolls of 12 (Feat Die), 5, 3. attack with axe.

That meets the edge for the axe, with an injury of 18, if the additional 5 end on the orc doesn't do it in. 

Loremaster
 GM, 129 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Sun 14 Sep 2014
at 00:48
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
At the center field, Berangar’s furious attack drives his axe’s bright edge through the remaining orc's armor, cracking the leather and metal, and biting deep into its flesh, breaking its ribs.  The last Orcish swordsman is dead.

Shooting from the Western edge, at the two fleeing Orcs, Shalronel picks one off with a perfect shot, imbedding the arrow deep between the shoulder blades of one of the two. That one will not live to fight another day.

Beside her, Calára wings the other one, nicking its leg, as it tries to move to safety. It is wounded once more, and slips, but gets back up and tries to make for the treeline.

But it does not make it.

As Hardgar falls to his knees, grabbing his son’s head in his hands, trying to see whether he stills breathes, the other Woodman throws his axe in a long arc and hits the Orc in the back, cutting right through its armor, breaking its spine. Here too the onslaught was stopped.

Meanwhile, Bern, whose solid leather armor blocked the curved sword’s point, avoiding a gut wound, shouts as he pushes further East, to the group of Woodmen still fighting.

Weary, his legs shaking, he still manages to focus and make it swiftly there, cracking the remaining Orc soldier in the flank with back side of his axe, dropping it like a log.

The two Woodmen and their son, seeing the last Orc facing them in melee go down, all spin around, not pushing on towards the two remaining archers, falling back towards their departing families instead. The wounded yell from the woman has them all fearing, and wondering who was hit.

But it does not seem as the two Goblins will remain unengaged, for, in a sudden flurry of movement and clanking chainmail, they see a furious axe-wielding dwarf jogging at them!

From the Western edge of the fight, Bés – who calls out to the Woodmen fighting alongside the dwarf, urging them to tend to their wounded – started to move forward and to the East, after the two Orcs fleeing.

Upon seeing the Elven arrows slay them, Bés suddenly forces her body onward and further East, calling upon her reserves of stamina, fuelling her run with fury and battle lust. Spotting the last two standing Orcs to the East, she dashes over, arriving, axe in hand, to face the final foes.


Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
OOC: spent the point of Hope. I made a call, here, having you change objectives. My feeling was that, although you would reach the fleeing orcs before the elves fired (you being in Open vs. their Rearward) it felt bad to have you spend Hope for a Great success to end up beside dead Orcs. So I made this choice for you, just to save time. Please, in this case, as in others in the future, tell me if you do not agree and have another thing in mind. And I will change things accordingly. I am not trying to God mode, just doing whar I feel you would do when things change etc., to not lose time.


To the West, where Bés left from, the wounded father kneels beside his son, who is quite badly wounded, and just slipped down onto the grass.

The other Woodman father follows Bés’ orders, and – in a cold rage – makes sure the fallen foes will never get back up to harm the Free Peoples of Middle Earth.

Finally, the two Goblins that saw the last of the Orcs fall, and who are no longer safe in the back, as Bés hurles herself towards them… drop their bows made of horn, and both pulled out jagged knives, cutting at the Bés, at the Dwarf that has engaged them. They hiss and spit their hatred for the Folk of Durin, but their shaking hands cannot even come close to hitting: in their dark hearts they know this night will be their last.

As the last light of the sun disappears from the sky above the clearing, and nights finishes falling, the good people around the campsite –illuminated by the small fires in front of the tents and dwellings and the big fire in the center – start to realize what just happened.

But there remains two Orc-kind before calling this a victory.

And Calára had heard some sound of fighting to the south…


OOC: did not wait for Andwise to post, since the Hobbit is at the Inn, so we can move that thread on in a semi-parallel fashion
Andwise Rumble
 player, 25 posts
Sun 14 Sep 2014
at 04:21
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Somewhat confused, Andwise fearing that Agatha had totaly misread his concern for the sausages as being an invitation to share the meagre supply with the entire village, claps his hands together, feigning delight to cover his confusion, "Yay a party".
As he watches the various culinary delights being brought forth, he cannot help but shed a small tear of sadness. So little food and so many villagers.
With a gentle shake of his head he produces his long stemmed pipe and tobacco pouch, which he proceeds to fill.
Bern Asheye
 player, 25 posts
 END 28/11
 Hope 15/11
Sun 14 Sep 2014
at 04:46
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bern allowed himself a weary smile as he saw the black tide collapsing as it breaks on the rocks of northmen courage "The shadow is break be strong my fellows." he bellows but his voice is weak and cracked from the strain of his wounds.

OOC

Open stance rally comrades (Inspire based)

07:44, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 9 (7 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 2 (Feat Die), 5, 2. Rally comrades.

Spend hope if it will success or can I use Determined or Trusty traits to gain a success?

This message was last edited by the player at 04:52, Sun 14 Sept 2014.

Agatha Brandybuck
 NPC, 2 posts
 Took-born
 Inn manager
Sun 14 Sep 2014
at 07:26
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Agatha taps Andwise on the back of his hand with the flat of the enormous knife she brought out to slice the sausages: "No smoking down here", she says, pointing to the casks of hard liquor stacked in a corner.
She flips the knife around and hands the handle to the Hobbit: "Better use your hands for slicing, instead of just being idle."
Bes, child of Balin
 player, 28 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Mon 15 Sep 2014
at 13:43
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Eyes fearfully locked on the two Men at clearing's center, the lone pair of Goblins still living are unprepared when Bés erupts from their flank with axe swinging. In an instant the first of them is down, nearly cloven in twain, and the Dwarf advances on the second with nary a pause in her stride.



09:14, Today: Bes, child of Balin rolled a total of 17: an extraordinary success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 11 with rolls of 5 (Feat Die), 6, 6. Axe Vs. Goblin Archer. The poor Goblin takes 17 damage when it only had 8 Endurance. Ouch. Might I invoke my Bold trait for an Unforeseen Action (Adventurer's Book, p. 96) to follow up my extraordinary success on the first Goblin with an immediate attack on the second.
Berangar
 player, 13 posts
Mon 15 Sep 2014
at 14:25
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
After felling the last orc in the center, Berangar follows behind Bern towards the east, bearing down at full speed on the remaining goblins, bringing his axe down with a furious roar and driving it full into the miserable creature's torso.


OOC:

Open Stance

10:04, Today: Berangar rolled a total of 13 (11 if weary): a great success (failure if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 12 with rolls of 5 (Feat Die), 6, 2. attack with axe.

12 endurance damage

Loremaster
 GM, 133 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Mon 15 Sep 2014
at 14:59
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
"The shadow is broken, be strong my fellows!", Bern’s voice sounds throughout the clearing. True, it is strained, because of the man’s battered body, but something in his tone, a tone that tells you you can trust this fellow, rings true. And everyone looks around, and realizes the man from Dale says true. People’s hearts are lifted somewhat, as they see that the threat is abated, and they feel stronger and slightly less heavy.

OOC: Trait used. Everyone recuperates 2 Hope lost in this fight (meaning any Endurance lost in this case), including you, Bern (and Calára, and I’ll tally the wounded Woodmen). Bern is still Weary (by just a bit).

To the East of the clearing, the last two Goblins are unprepared when Bés erupts from their flank, her axe swinging and cutting one nearly in twain, and the Dwarf advances on the second with nary a pause in her stride.

OOC: I prefer not to use Unforeseen Action for extra attacks, rather for events you normally cannot react too.

Just then, the other Goblin, that was distracted by the fearful irruption of the Dwarf and had taken its eyes off the Men in the center of the clearing, is suddenly hit by an axe to the torso, bringing it down just like its evil fellow.
Berangar had rushed at full speed on the remaining goblins, bringing the last enemy down with a furious roar.

To the West, Shalronel and Calára scan the clearing: no Orcs left standing.

The fight is over.

For a moment, everything is sillent.

Bodies strewn all around the clearing, blood soaking the ground: over a dozen and a half Orc-kin – the leader, a dozen swordsmen, and half a dozen goblin archers.

But some Woodmen too: a mother, cradled by her children and mourned by her husband; a single man lying along in a corner, no one looking over him yet, his pale face reflecting the fiery flames from the bonfire; and Hardgar’s elder son, being carried back to the center by a wounded Hardgar, followed by his wife Winnea, still carrying baby El…

Besides the wailing of those mourning their loss, there also are the sounds of the wounded.  To the West, a wounded father tries to calm his son, badly wounded and who is screaming non stop: “Blind, blind, I am blind!” , and flailing his arms around.
Another man tries to help, sniffing the arrow wound, he mutters: “Orc poison, and spits on the ground.

Two more wounded: a father, and a slightly hurt elder boy.

Death and hurt came to the clearing.
Death and destruction to this place of building, this place of Hope. And this vision, these thoughts darken your minds.

OOC: all but Andwise roll a Corruption test (a Feat die plus d6’s equal to your rank in Wisdom; ie. 2 for all).
Berangar
 player, 14 posts
Mon 15 Sep 2014
at 16:24
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Berangar turns to Bern, and Bes, standing beside them near the last goblins, now dead at their feet. "You are and true," he says to them, "I am honored to have fought beside you." 

His glance strays to those around them, a flicker of pain, or anger, maybe both dances in his eyes.  He nods to the Barding and the dwarf, and quickly makes his way to Hardgar's side, only to confirm his worst fear -- the brave man's valiant son has been cut down at a young age.

OOC:


12:13, Today: Berangar rolled a total of 16: a success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 10 (Feat Die), 4, 2. Corruption check.

Andwise Rumble
 player, 27 posts
Mon 15 Sep 2014
at 16:51
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Stifling a cry of pain and suprise, Andwise puts the partially filled pipe inside his jacket.
Rolling up his sleeves he takes the knife which Agatha had admonished him with and begins to slice.
As he works he mutters wordlesslly to himself. To some it sounds like the muttering of an unhappy hobbit, but to others, who knew him well, it sounded more like little sobs of despair.
Bern Asheye
 player, 27 posts
 END 28/13
 Hope 15/11
Mon 15 Sep 2014
at 19:40
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Dead they were all dead there was no escape the decay. Men toiled and men worked erecting building against the shadows but the fire ate at them... like the drake once called Smug came and took away Bern family cursing his blood with eyes the color of ash.

Shaken the Dalesman sinks into the despair of his wounds and the pain of lose around him leaning heavily on the spear.

"So many dead... so callously destroyed and for what?" he mumbles but Bern remind himself, the shadow was lifted from the mountain. The wyrm destroyed by the black arrow of king Bard and now Dale is alive once more... as long as there is hope in the heart of men the shadow will never prevail.

Shaken but with restored hope Bern stand firm again his ash colored gaze scanning the destruction and the companions "Ever since the five armies battle no orcs had dared cross so close to our lands nor to attack it... I fear some bad tiding is forthcoming... we must assist the wounded and form a council."



OOC:
22:35, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 11 (8 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 8 (Feat Die), 2, 1. Corruption check.

If the TN is 14 or less I'll spend the Hope point to avoid corruption.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:11, Mon 15 Sept 2014.

Shalronel
 player, 52 posts
Mon 15 Sep 2014
at 22:33
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Shalronel looks around the camp, the dead bodies strewn haphazardly around, like a careless child's dolls, except these dolls had been living.  She moves over to the orc leader's body, kicking it, "Why did you have to show up and ruin  EVERYTHING. she sobs as she kicks it again.  She then moves to pull the orcs away from the others starting to build a pile to burn them.  "Stupid orcs" she thinks as she works, tears streaming down her face.

OOC: 15:25, Mon 15 Sept 2014: Shalronel rolled a total of 10 (7 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 ((2 (Feat Die), 3, 5)). Corruption

This message was last edited by the player at 22:34, Mon 15 Sept 2014.

Bern Asheye
 player, 30 posts
 END 28/13
 Hope 15/10
Tue 16 Sep 2014
at 03:41
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bern moves to the elf maiden side to help her with the grim task. Her reaction shake him a little but it was said the fair folk is far more burden by the sadness in the world then mortal men.

Gently he place his hand on her arm "Death and sorrow are part of our lives here fair maiden... the shadow will not break us, we will rebuild and prosper." he offer her a smile albit a weak one "I am called Bern Asheye  of Dale... it was an honor fighting next to one of your kind. Your command of the bow is impressive." as your beauty but the last he dare not speak aloud.
Loremaster
 GM, 140 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Tue 16 Sep 2014
at 05:20
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bés scans the battlefield, and has a faint smile: true, there is sadness here, and dead, but they fought the Orcs off, and crushed the attack. And her axe swung well and true, felling many of the attackers. Her heart felt good at how the Free Peoples fought today, despite their loss.

Berangar, after addressing Bern and Bés, moves over to Hardgar’s side. He is not truly shaken by the attack, since he is focused on the pain of the man he was joyfully talking with, around the campfire, just a few minutes ago, and who is now mourning the death of his son.

Bern nods to Berangar’s but his pale eyes seem lost in the death and desolation wrought by the Orcs. As he scans the battlefield, his mind turns back to his childhood, to when fire took his family away, to when… No, he cannot succumb to melancholy, not now. He calls upon his will to stifle these thoughts.

OOC: spent 1 Hope and that makes you succeed in the roll.

Moving slowly over to meet with the people they fought with, Calára and Shalronel look at the dead Orcs. Calára seems lost in her thoughts but not really affected.
Shalronel, however, as she moves to gather the Orc bodies in order to burn them, is obviously quite distressed.  She even breaks into tears as the darkness overcomes her heart.
Bern starts to help her pick the bodies up, and introduces himself to her, trying, also, to boost her morale: "The shadow will not break us, we will rebuild and prosper.”
But Shalronel was affected by this.

OOC: 1 Shadow point taken by Shalronel (as you saw, I imagine, your low Heart would not be enough to reach TN14 if you spent Hope).

The Woodmen are tending to their few dead, and to the wounded – none of which are badly hurt, and it is obvious they will heal over the next days. The only one for whom people fear, is the boy, pretty beaten up, but very panicked because he is now blind. And he is scared the poison will take his life.

Calára is looking South, but hears no sound of fighting anymore. A couple Woodmen look that way too, one of them stating that “that’s where the stables are.”

All of you do ponder Bern’s words: it is strange that the Orcs, so badly hurt five years ago, at the Battle of the Five armies, that the Orcs should come like this, East of the Misty Mountains, in the lands Beorn protects.

_______________


Back at the Inn, Andwise grumbles and mumbles as he sadly slices and dices...

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:28, Tue 16 Sept 2014.

Berangar
 player, 15 posts
Tue 16 Sep 2014
at 15:33
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Berangar notes where Calara is looking, and also looks away south.  "Was there fighting that way?  Could there be more evil folk about?"  He stands poised to race off in that direction, torn between more mischief that might be afoot, and the grief of the people here in their loss.
Bes, child of Balin
 player, 32 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Tue 16 Sep 2014
at 17:40
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bés lends stout arms and kind words according to need, having no gift for healing, as she roams amongst the villagers. Accustomed to toil, she works long past when other folk are wearied by the exertions of moving the dead and wounded. Well away from the village so the wind will not carry the smell back, Bés sets the mound of Orc carcasses aflame before deigning to rest. These Orcs cannot have come from Goblin-Town, she thinks as she returns to the inn. Not without being spied by someone en route. Troubling indeed...
Andwise Rumble
 player, 28 posts
Tue 16 Sep 2014
at 19:20
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Andwise, tears streaming from his eyes, due to onions not thoughts of having to share sausages, is still slicing away, when his reverie is disturbed by footsteps in the inn above.
He shares a horrified look with the others and considers his action. Should he try and hide behind the growing mound of sliced onion that he has worked to produce, or should he valliantly draw his sword and creep to the trapdoor to take a peek?
He sees the two hobbit children cowering behind the skillet armed mother, and controlling his trembling hand and fast beating heart, draws his sword for the second time that evening...
Shalronel
 player, 53 posts
Wed 17 Sep 2014
at 03:40
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
As she watches the flames rise into the air Shalronel manages a smile, dabbing the tears from her eyes, "I am Shalronel, of Mirkwood." she says to Bern, extending her hand, "Nice to meet you Bern."

OOC: I am not sure what the distinctive features are for but I have Merry as one of mine, hopefully that means I can put on a happy face.
Loremaster
 GM, 142 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Wed 17 Sep 2014
at 08:18
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
In the clearing, the Woodmen muster together, putting their wounded together, and start boiling water and getting clean cloth out to tend to the hurt and wounded.  An old man reassures the blind boy, saying that the poison should run its course, and his sight be back in a few days.  He looks around - unseen by the boy - and it is obvious he is not as sure as he says.

A group of men gather spears and axes, and group together, setting out for the South, to scout around.
Berangar watches them go, unsure whether to follow them or not.

Meanwhile, Bés is hard at work, aided by Calára and a couple Woodmen, moving the Orc corpses to the East, into a smaller clearing where they have been burning bushes and useless wood:  the bodies are tossed there, and a fire started right away - the wind is coming from the South, so it blows the smoke away from the clearing and Inn -, to burn them as they brought over.

Bern, having introduced himself to his battle-comrades, sees the Elven Archer he helped recover from the shock, give him his name - Shalronel.  The both of you look around, deciding where to go lend a hand.

Bés leaves Calára and the Woodmen to pursue clearing up the bodies, and heads back to the Inn, wondering how the Goblins came in undetected.

OOC: will wait to see what the people in the clearing do, to react to Andwise's teary plight.
Shalronel
 player, 54 posts
Wed 17 Sep 2014
at 08:57
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Shalronel looks around and tries to help with bandaging, when she accidentally hurts someone and makes them cry out she slumps her shoulders and shuffles back to the inn to lie in her room awhile.

OOC: 01:54, Today: Shalronel rolled a total of 4 (4 if weary): a failure with the Eye of Sauron (complications) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 11 (Feat Die), 4. attempts at healing.

Stupid dice roller....:(

Berangar
 player, 17 posts
Wed 17 Sep 2014
at 10:09
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Though not receiving any answer to his question, as soon as Berangar sees a group of armed men heading south, (towards the inn and stables?) he retrieves his spear and follows without hesitation.
Loremaster
 GM, 144 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Wed 17 Sep 2014
at 13:39
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Shalronel tries to help with bandaging, but the sight of this fight, these Orcs, the Shadows having come over her soul, all this makes her clumsy and lost in her thoughts...  thus she moves back to the Inn, failing to help these people like she would like to.
She walks back to the Inn with Bés.

Calára, busy with the bodies, is not paying much attention to anyone, so Berangar leaves with the men towards the South - where he knows the stables are, the Inn being to the West.

OOC: will just wait to see what Bern wishes to do (go South, West, remain in the clearing, as you wish).
Bern Asheye
 player, 32 posts
 END 28/13
 Hope 15/10
Wed 17 Sep 2014
at 19:46
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bern gaze travel across the clearing, there were several options in front of him. He could run south with the tall Beorning to see what was the commotion or he could back with the dwarven warrior and elven maiden toward the inn and check the safety of its inhabitants or he could stay and help with the bodies.

He was far to weary to seek out battle but there was something need to be done here, something grim and terrible something only those touched by the ash would do. So he move to the fallen bodies of orcs and goblin seeking two things, a clue or hints of how and why they come hinder and if possible one of the foul brutes who still had a breath in him that could be interrogated only once the grim task is done would Bern walk back to the inn.
Loremaster
 GM, 146 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Wed 17 Sep 2014
at 22:16
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bés and Shalronel arrive at the Inn, where the first Orcs they fought are lying around, dead.
The door is closed, and, when they try it, they see it is barred from the inside.
But no noise can be heard from inside, where they know Andwise went.
Since there seems to have been no more fighting, no signs of struggle or attack - other than when you fought - you are not overly alarmed.
Calling out and banging does nothing, so, starting to be a little worried - maybe they were somehow attacked, or did they run and hide in the forest - Shalronel goes up the wall and manages to force a window open, coming down inside to open the door, that she sees is barred from the inside.
Bés steps in.
As you start to look around, you see Shadrach, the mighty hound, looking at you from behind the counter.

OOC:  when I feel there is nothing at stake, I will accelerate things a bit, taking you character into my hands in what I imagine you would do.  It is not to force anything on you, so please tell me if you want to take another course when I do this.  I am only doing this when I feel it would take several days to do something and there is no danger etc., for example, in this case:  Bés knocks on the door - then I answer:  nothing happens - then: Bés looks to see how else to get in etc..

Below, Andwise, is disturbed by footsteps in the inn above.
His sword drawn, he does not know what to do.
Agatha pushes Dody over to be beside their sons, and puts a big knife in his hand.  Then she looks at Andwise, motioning:  so, what do we do?

__________________


Off to the side of clearing, Calára is helping the Men burn the Orc bodies.
Bern, after having thought of what to do, hesitating as to where to go...  ended up helping carry some bodies over, and then took some time to rest his weariness, by looking at all the bodies of the Orcs, maybe even finding one to interrogate.
Only one still lived, the others having already been finished by deft axe-blows from the Woodmen.  And this crippled Orc only hissed and bared its rotten teeth, spitting at Bern.
A blow from an axe handle cracked its skull, and the Wood-woman looked at Bern:  "Do not waste time with that ilk."  She bowed deep in front of him:  "Thank you for your help, Man from Dale.  Thank you."
Bern watched her leave, and then kept on looking over the bodies.

OOC:  roll Awareness as you search for clues.

__________________


Berangar and the Woodmen move warily but swiftly to the south, towards the stables.
As they approach, they hear neighing and shuffling:  so, the ponies are still there.
But they come up to a nasty sight:  a half a dozen Orcs lie dead, nearly in a pile.
In front of them, a curved Orc sword stuck through his thigh and embedded in the ground, pinning him down, sits Frier.
A simple wood-smith hammer in hand, and bare chested, he grins at you:  "What took you so long?  I heard some fighting up North, I hope you killed the foul scum."
But he soon frowns: "Come, give me a hand.... no, no, not for me, for him."
Frier points to the Hobbit lying behind him:  Milo Roper lies just behind the dwarf, two Goblin arrows sticking out of his chest, imbedded in his dark brown shirt, right between the forest green suspenders.
"They came on me as I was working on the roof's shingles, and they shot the lad before I could get at them."

He looks away:  "I won't forgive myself if he dies."
Shalronel
 player, 56 posts
Thu 18 Sep 2014
at 00:24
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Sharonel pats Shadrach's head, scritching him behind the ears, "Well you are still here so it wasn't orcs.  Where are our happy little friends, huh." she asks the dog, his presence beginning to lighten her mood a bit.

OOC:  How long do I have to be depressed for? 
Bern Asheye
 player, 34 posts
 END 28/13
 Hope 15/10
Thu 18 Sep 2014
at 03:21
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bern search the bodies but find nothing but filth and scum, quickly he made to leave this foul task only to clench his teeth and continue on by sheer force of will.

OOC

06:19, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 8 (6 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 6 (Feat Die), 1, 1. Awareness roll.

Failed roll, could Bern Determination change this to a success?

Andwise Rumble
 player, 30 posts
Thu 18 Sep 2014
at 10:33
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Looking at Agatha and noticing the growing concern in her eyes, Andwise listens carefully. There is someone above moving softly. With a tread that somehow does not feel orcish, although his knowledge of orcs is somewhat limited. Taking a deep breath to try and still the shake in his hand he raises a finger to his lips "Shhh".

At that precise moment one of the fat sausages sizzling away in the pan decides to explode with a bang that seems to echo around the cellar...

This message was last edited by the player at 10:36, Thu 18 Sept 2014.

Bes, child of Balin
 player, 33 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Thu 18 Sep 2014
at 13:43
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bés points past Shadrach toward the kitchen. "Doubtless the Hobbits have holed up in the larder," she remarks. "'Tis the safest place, lest the inn is fired. More defensible." Bés cups her hands around her mouth and hollers, "Master Andwise! Brandybucks all! The foe is vanquished, 'tis safe! Come out!"
Berangar
 player, 18 posts
Thu 18 Sep 2014
at 14:15
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Loremaster:
Berangar and the Woodmen move warily but swiftly to the south, towards the stables.
As they approach, they hear neighing and shuffling:  so, the ponies are still there.
But they come up to a nasty sight:  a half a dozen Orcs lie dead, nearly in a pile.
In front of them, a curved Orc sword stuck through his thigh and embedded in the ground, pinning him down, sits Frier.
A simple wood-smith hammer in hand, and bare chested, he grins at you:  "What took you so long?  I heard some fighting up North, I hope you killed the foul scum."
But he soon frowns: "Come, give me a hand.... no, no, not for me, for him."
Frier points to the Hobbit lying behind him:  Milo Roper lies just behind the dwarf, two Goblin arrows sticking out of his chest, imbedded in his dark brown shirt, right between the forest green suspenders.
"They came on me as I was working on the roof's shingles, and they shot the lad before I could get at them."

He looks away:  "I won't forgive myself if he dies."

Berangar grins back at the smith, "Aye!  You dwarf folk sweep orcs aside like chaff this day!"  He looks at the hobbit with sadness in his eyes, moving towards him to see if he yet lives.  "Too many have already died from these evil folk," he mutters as he kneels beside Milo.
Loremaster
 GM, 149 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Thu 18 Sep 2014
at 15:04
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
As Shalronel pats Shadrach, Bés calls out...
Down in the cellar, the Hobbits hear the friendly voices.
The Brandybuck family comes out with Andwise, and get news of what happened, saddened at the news of death in the Woodmen clearing, but relieved the Inn is now safe.

The Brandybucks bring the prepared food out, and ask for help in rolling some kegs of ale outside the Inn, to gather all the survivors there, to partake in a meal together. Not to celebrate, for there is death, but to be together, to share.

Berangar having brought the wounded Frier back, helping the dwarf hop along, he was tended to and the arrow removed, and told of how the Orcs came and surprised them.
To your relief, Milo is alive, though he does not come to.
The Hobbits put him in a room, and Agatha and a Winnea - the Woodman mother, wife of Hardgar and mother of El - boils herbs and will tend to him.  She believes there was poison and is hopeful that time will heal the sturdy Halfling.

Thus, you all spend a meal together, sharing in Agatha's meal, in a blend of sadness for the lost Men, and joy at having survived and fought back a great foe.
You who fought together, spend the meal side by side, talking with one another, introducing yourselves, sharing some your life stories, bound by the fight.

Bern tells you of what he saw upon the Orcs:  "Most of them had simple weapons and crude armor made of leather and metal patched together.  Some bore a kind of dagger emblem branded on them, or carved into their armor.  The other Orc, though, the Leader, is a different story:  it had clothes, armor and weapon of a lot better make.  And all was marked with a sort of oblong red dot, or slightly distorted red circle."

As you rest after the fight, and gather your breath, you recuperate and feel better.

OOC: you gain your Heart rating in Endurance from the wounds received in this battle (2 for Shalronel, up to full level - and 6 for Bern, who is now at -10 Endurance).

Also, being together, united, seeing people from other races and groups than you fighting alongside you, lifts your spirits, and you feel rekindled.

OOC: you have 8 Hope points to spend.  These are refreshed every now and then, except that in this case it will be now, since you will soon be starting a Fellowship with a new pool etc..  So it is best to use them so they not be "lost".  So, share those 8 points as you see fit, right now I have the following: Bés: -4 Hope ; Bern: -5 Hope ; Calára: -2 Hope ; Berangar: -1 Hope
See what you wish to do with those points, and also you can talk and exchange if you wish, regarding anything, during the night and the meal, and then I will move on to the next day.

Andwise Rumble
 player, 31 posts
Thu 18 Sep 2014
at 15:17
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Andwise, pipe in hand, and several buttons undone on his waistcoat as a salute to Agatha Brandybucks cullinary expertise, rises to his feet.
"Comrades, friends...today is a day of sadness mixed with joy, sadness for those that are no more, and joy for those who live still and are united as never before" He hiccups and takes a long swallow of ale, "In time all shall talk of this fight between we the free and the black forces of evil, and songs shall be sung in memory of the dead. But for now let us all raise a cup to the memory of those lost" With solemn and thoughtful reverence he raises his tankard, "To lost friends all"
Shalronel
 player, 57 posts
Thu 18 Sep 2014
at 16:31
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
As the joyful Hobbits begin preparing the feast/party Shalronel begins to feel her dark mood lift, how can one be depressed with such merry company?  She encourages someone to play some music at the end of the meal and gets up to dance gaily.
Berangar
 player, 21 posts
Thu 18 Sep 2014
at 18:54
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Berengar listens carefully to Bern's description of the orcs and their gear, pondering if he has ever seen or heard of such before.  (OOC:  Can I use Rhymes of Lore and/or Story-telling traits to see if he's ever heard of the emblems before?)

He solemnly raises his mug when Andwise makes his toast, and drinks deep.  He considers again, and then suggests, "Perhaps we might learn more of these orcs if we follow their fresh tracks back from whence they came?"
Bern Asheye
 player, 37 posts
 END 28/13
 Hope 15/10
Thu 18 Sep 2014
at 22:26
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bern sits quietly in one corner of the room his odd eyes glancing at the fire. He seek his memory for bits of the old lore he had learned as a child .

When Andwise make his toast Bern snap out of his reverie and lift his own tankard in a salute to the dead and lost.

"I agree," he nods to Berangar "someone should investigate this incursion of orcs... however, alone we are weaker and together we had shown we can withstand much. I suggest we will take this quest together as one fellowship."
Berangar
 player, 24 posts
Fri 19 Sep 2014
at 02:08
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Berangar snaps out of his reverie, and raises his mug again in salute to Bern.  "Aye, a fellowship formed to get to the bottom this would be just the thing."  He shakes his head, "Though I can't recall the symbols these orcs carry.  But perhaps we will discover that as well."
Shalronel
 player, 60 posts
Fri 19 Sep 2014
at 03:17
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Shalronel pauses in her dancing when she hears them talking about the orcs.  She thinks back to her time in the libraries to see if she can remember for them.

OOC: 20:16, Today: Shalronel rolled a total of 20: a success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 9 (Feat Die), 3, 5, 3. lore roll.
Loremaster
 GM, 155 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Fri 19 Sep 2014
at 06:17
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
The shared meal and the open kegs make all content, and the party livens up as Andwise makes his speech, and all turn to a festive move, even the mourners, as they celebrate their loss with you all, sharing and seeing their dead kin as fallen heroes.

You do confer, however, during the party, and talk about the Orcs, and the symbols that were found by Bern.  Shalronel tells you that this red dot reminds her somehow, though she is not sure of why, exactly, of the Orcs of - and she lowers her voice - of Dol Goldur, well, actually, what used to be the capital of our Sylvan Realm, the city of Amon Lanc.  A place that was lost centuries ago, to the Darkness.  And that has been a place of Darkness since, though it seems that it is less of a danger right now, though.
The talk of a Fellowship from the Men rises your interest, with the idea of seeing how to backtrack where the Orcs came from.

[Private to Bern Asheye: OCC: do you wish to make a lore roll too, to see if Dale has seen any of these markings?]

The night will end with music and dancing, as a merry elf, Shalronel, leads the way.
Loremaster
 GM, 156 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Fri 19 Sep 2014
at 10:33
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
During the time you spent eating, Bern tells you that this symbol reminds him of something he read in a pile of old parchments in Laketown, when he was looking for some treasu... some knowledge.
There was a text by some merchants who had been told in their travels to the Far South that the Dark Lord  - was that not Morgoth? - had an Orc host that bore a circular red symbol on their helmets and shields.  Could this Orc be a servant of the Dark Lord himself?
Strange, for the Battle of the Five Armies crushed the Goblins and things have been safer, the Men expanding, Dale rebuilt, Erebor thriving these past five years.

This message was last edited by the GM at 10:34, Fri 19 Sept 2014.

Loremaster
 GM, 158 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Sat 20 Sep 2014
at 06:15
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
When told of this symbol, and the simple red oval is described to Bés, she grows somber, for she knows this to be the symbol said to be born by messengers and envoys of the Necromancer. This was what wore, it is said, the Orcs that captured Thrain the Second, a century ago.
Bern Asheye
 player, 39 posts
 END 28/13
 Hope 15/10
Sat 20 Sep 2014
at 07:57
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Despite the joy and dancing around him Bern face are grim the merry fire burning in the heart casting shadows on his face as he speak in a soft voice about what he had remember from long lost days when the dwarf Bes add her own recollection his eyes turn clouded with worry.

"Rumors were that the Necromancer fell when the Orcish might was crushed five years ago... tis troubling tiding indeed... should we perhaps go and scout that foul place?" that foul place he mean Dol Guldor but even here he dare not say the name aloud no more and even tho he is not of weak heart the thought of going to that dark place send shivers down his spine.
Bes, child of Balin
 player, 36 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Sat 20 Sep 2014
at 16:05
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bés frowns at the Barding's words. "Dol Guldur is not a place to be entered lightly," she counsels in a low voice. "This news needs be borne to those wiser than we."
Shalronel
 player, 63 posts
Sat 20 Sep 2014
at 16:23
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Shalronel is blessedly dancing her fool heart away right now, otherwise she would be wondering what kind of crazy people she had hooked up with.  Nobody goes to Dol Guldur, not even the most experienced elves of Mirkwood.

OOC:  Not that she won't go, she is insanely curious about things....:)
Andwise Rumble
 player, 33 posts
Sat 20 Sep 2014
at 16:57
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Andwise, pipe in one hand tankard in the other and a 'full up', well nearly full up, smile on his face, listens to all this talk of necromancers, orcs, and a place called Dol Guldur, where even bold dwarves fear to tread. Sense tells him that his task is to merely record the doings of this inn and its locality, but his curious nature...
Bern Asheye
 player, 40 posts
 END 28/13
 Hope 15/10
Sun 21 Sep 2014
at 17:52
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bern turn his ash gaze toward the dwarf Bes and nods solemnly with his head "Aye, that is a wise course of action Bes child of Balin. We need to go past and find Radagast for he is wise and a Wizard and for sure would know what to do."

He consider their options, if this was an orc incursion he would no doubt seek Beorn or king Bard but this involve ancient dark sorcery and he figured that it would best to ask either the Elven king or the Brown Wizard and the Wizard was more accessible no doubt.
Berangar
 player, 25 posts
Mon 22 Sep 2014
at 02:09
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Berangar considers, "Radagast lives many long leagues to the south from here.  I would not be against taking him tidings of what has happened, here, though I would first like to see if we might track these orcs back.  It is strange such an armed group of them would travel so far into free territories undetected."
Loremaster
 GM, 165 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Mon 22 Sep 2014
at 03:34
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
You spend time talking together, in a low voice, hinting to, even naming, Dol Goldur, and thinking that the Orc Leader might have come from there, but agreeing that the best course would be to first share news of this attack, and the many Orcs so far from their foul abodes, with some Wise One:  Radagast is the name that comes to you as best.  You also wonder whether you should track the Orcs as to where they came from.
Then you try to wash the dark thoughts away, and, following Shalronel’s cue, you dance – for some – and sing – for most, and drink – for all!  Spending the night chasing sorrow with joyful relief.
You go to bed but a little before dawn, and deep sleep comes to you, healing the bruises of the fight.
All awake fully rested the next morning, although Bern is still a little stiff since he was battered more than the others.
For some, you feel this attack made you more wary or wise, such as Berangar, who thinks he will be more careful in the future, and try to assess the battlefield better.
It is late in the morning, for you did sleep a full six hours, and thus it is after ten when you all meet in the Easterly Inn’s main room.
Agatha is busy preparing sausage rolls, and the smell is divine.
Dodinas is staring out the window, fidgeting, obviously worried.
Frier is at a table, trying to reduced the number of sausage rolls Agatha produces faster than she can make them, but is losing the battle.
You all settle down with him, and look at all the fineries set out: fresh milk, honey, newly baked bread, preserves…
He tells you that young Master Milo is in good hands, and though still in his stupor, they have hope he should come out of it in a few days, and be back on his hairy feet in a few weeks.
”Oh, and that tall Elf Maiden with you, Calára, she never got to bed. Just left as dawn was breaking, told me to relay upon you that she be a goin’ back East, to warn King Thranduil of this here attack, since you be wanting to share the news with someone wise.”
Outside, you see, over in the clearing, that the Woodmen are already hammering away, cleaning up and repairing the damage.
The summer sun is shining, and things are looking up.
But, in the distance, a small column of black smoke still rises: the last smoldering of the Orc bodies.
Andwise Rumble
 player, 34 posts
Mon 22 Sep 2014
at 14:06
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Andwise, head still a little sore from the ale at the party, produces his leather bound notebook, quill and a small stoppered bottle of black ink and sets down to begin his journal.
For a moment the blackness of the ink draws his mind to the black blood the orc had shed after he had stabbed it with his blade. With an effort he shakes his head clear of such thoughts.
"Now, this Radagast where will we find him? And what should we tell him when we do?"
Shalronel
 player, 65 posts
Mon 22 Sep 2014
at 15:52
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Shalronel laughs at Andwise' question, "Why, master Andwise, Radagast is a wizard and wizards are only found if they want to be." she says as she looks at the breakfast available and chooses a sweet roll.
Bern Asheye
 player, 44 posts
 END 28/26
 Hope 15/14
Mon 22 Sep 2014
at 20:44
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
A hint of a smile caress Bern face, it was grim things they discussed but it was hard to ignore the joy and merriment only one of the elves could possess "Radagast is patron of sort of the woodsmen of Mirkwood. I think a good place to search would be in Rhosgobel."

This message was last edited by the player at 21:42, Mon 22 Sept 2014.

Dodinas Brandybuck
 NPC, 5 posts
 Dody
 Bartender
Tue 23 Sep 2014
at 06:15
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
As you are there,  joyfully filling up with the fresh milk, and honey and baked bread, you see Dodinas come up to you, with a tray in hand. He manages to bow deeply, while not even jostling the bottles he is carrying - quite a feat.
He bows to each of you in turn:  Shalronel, Berangar, Bern, Bés, and Andwise.
Then, smiling, he puts down an old and dusty bottle of elven wine in front of Shalronel - who sees this seems to be a fine and rare vintage.
To Bern and Bés he hands - each - an enormous tankard of mountain brew, dark beer from the lands of Dale and Erebor.
Berangar receives a tall mug filled with sweet honey-smelling mead, that the men of Beorn like so much.
And, to Andwise, a nice pint of Shire Ale.
"From the Golden Perch,", Dody says, bowing deep, yet again, in front of Andwise.
"If I may bother you powerful Masters, as you talk of your Wizard Friends, I would like to come before you, asking for your help.  Bowing once again, he faces Andwise, and addresses him:  "Master Andwise the Brave, I thank you for defeating the Orcs at my doorstep, and saving my family.  And I know I should not ask for more from you, but it is about saving my family that I come to you.  As you know, last spring, my brother Dindy returned to the Shire to obtain vitally
needed supplies."

He looks at all of you, smiling: "I am Dodinas Brandybuck, and good friend and partner of Bilbo Baggins of Bag End and bane of Dragons, he has shares in this here Inn.  Inn for which we needed handkerchiefs, umbrellas, spiceracks, silverware, barrel-spigots, feather-bolsters and round doors, as well as trade goods like pipe-weed and Shire-beer and..."
Looking back at Andwise: "And I shall not bother you more with all that, but Dindy was supposed to be back by now.  I do now he made it there, and was gathering supplies - he sent me notice.  And I know he is with Igwar Longlegs, the guide you know well, Andwise.  But what with the Orcs and all, I am very afraid you see.  So, well, you would set my mind at ease if you could look for my brother out West, and help him get back here without being chopped to pieces by the Goblins."
He takes a deep breath, and grabs Andwise's pint of ale before the Hobbit could touch it, and empties it in one long drink...  plopping it back down and wiping the foam from his mouth.
"What say yee? Can I hire you to set out and help my" - hiccup - "brother Dinodas?"


Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
OOC: we are doing an Encounter.
The Threshold (the number of failed rolls you can make before things go sour) is very high: since Dody is looking for brave people, he is attracted by Valour, thus Andwise (the Brave, with 2 Valour!).  To this figure of 2 he adds 1 because there is a Hobbit among you, and he adds another 3 because he needs you and you were all so brave with the Orcs.  Tolerance of 6.
I would like you all to introduce yourselves (answering Dody) and describe briefly what you feel the others should know about you (for the members of your fellowship to come, to tell us what you see as important to know about you: clothes, look, armor, whatever...).  For the introduction, roll either Awe or Courtesy (either you are polite and courteous, or else more bold and forward, stating your feats and lineage).  Since you know him it is TN12.
Then. confer amongst yourselves if you wish, to see if you all answer or if you choose a spokesperson (even if it is not Andwise, you still get his "bonuses" of Hobbit & Valour).


This message was last edited by the player at 06:15, Tue 23 Sept 2014.

Andwise Rumble
 player, 36 posts
Tue 23 Sep 2014
at 16:02
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Puffing his chest in pride at Dodi’s reference to him as Andwise the Brave, and almost bursting the shiny brass buttons from his second best, crimson wool, waitcoat, this time from pride rather than over eating, Andwise bows low. “My dear Master Brandybuck, host and innkeeper extraordinary, if I was in some small manner instrumental in both the defence of this fine inn and your most estimable family, then the honour is all mine.” He watches with horror, although manages to keep his face calm, as Dodi lifts the tankard and swallows its contents in one long gulp.
With a theatrical flourish, worthy of any of the great players he had seen perform on the stage built on the Hobbiton village green for the midsummer celebrations, he draws his sword and points it towards the sky. It glitters and shines in a most spectacular fashion as it catches the light.
“By this sword, named ‘spite’ for the sharpness of its edge and fierceness of its point, I will do all in my power to see that no harm befalls you or yours. This blade was found by my most famousest uncle, Stargazer Rumble, in the remains of an ancient barrow deep in Toprow woods. It is no stranger to orc or goblin blood, it has tasted it in the past, it tasted it again yesterday, and, no doubt, it will taste it in the future.”
By now Andwise is beginning to get carried away by the moment. And realising how close he has come to promising something he may not be able to deliver, decides to cover himself with a bout of coughing.

17:00, Tue 23 Sept 2014: Andwise Rumble rolled a total of 10 (9 if weary): a failure with the Eye of Sauron (complications) using the The One Ring with a target of 12 ((11 (Feat Die), 4, 5, 1)). Not good
Shalronel
 player, 68 posts
Tue 23 Sep 2014
at 16:22
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Shalronel smiles at the hobbit's bravado, "Well spoken my new friend," she says as she turns to Dody, "I would be greatly honored to represent the elves in the retrieval of your dear brother.  My arrows sang true today against the evil of the darkness and they shall do so on this quest as well.  Let none say that Shalronel stood by while evil stirred it's malignancy against the free peoples of middle earth." she says with a bow to Dody and Andwise.

09:11, Today: Shalronel rolled a total of 14 (13 if weary): a great success (failure if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 7 (Feat Die), 1, 6. Awe roll.

I say we let Andwise (is that Andy for short?) do the speaking here.

Loremaster
 GM, 169 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Tue 23 Sep 2014
at 16:34
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
As Andwise points his sword to the ceiling and bellows about orc and goblin blood, the two young Hobbits - Dando and Rodry - scream and rush towards the trap, dashing to hide in the cellar.
Agatha casts you an evil look, and goes to fetch the terrified boys.
Dody shuffles his feet, and avoids looking at Andwise for a few seconds, listening as Shalronel talks.
Andwise Rumble
 player, 37 posts
Tue 23 Sep 2014
at 17:53
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Andwise looks aghast at the furor his attempt at a courteous speech had caused. "Dear Master Brandybuck, forgive me. I...fear i was carried away in the moment. Please speak to your good wife and ask her pardon for a silly hobbit who foolishly allowed himself to believe himself better than he should be"

Andwise, sheepishly, returns the sword to its scabbard and nervously looks to his companions.
Bern Asheye
 player, 49 posts
 END 28/26
 Hope 15/14
Tue 23 Sep 2014
at 18:09
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bern stands shaking his head and gave Andwise a short glare, the hobbit was wrangling his tongues in double knots.

"Fear not master Brandybuck we will find your brother remains... I mean we will find your brother, fear not ..." there was an awkward silence and Bern shoot the first thing on his mind "and we will do so at half price of course or less if he is dea..." that was the stage that Bern decided it was better if to follow Andwise example and glue his mouth shut.


21:04, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 6 (5 if weary): a failure with the Eye of Sauron (complications) using the The One Ring with a target of 12 with rolls of 11 (Feat Die), 1, 5. Courtesy.

It seem Courtesy is a sure way to both this encounter :)

Berangar
 player, 27 posts
Tue 23 Sep 2014
at 19:58
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Berangar takes a deep breath, shrugs his shoulders and stands up to his full height, his shaggy mane of hair nearly brushing the rafters of the little inn.  His hands never stray near his weapons, but he looks wild and dangerous, every bit the epitome of the Beornings.

A bright, white smile shows his good will, however, as he nods towards the hobbit in a friendly manner.  "An honor to make you acquaintance, Master Brandybuck," he starts.  "And an honor it would be to seek out your overdue brother.  Who, as friend Bern I believe was just saying, most likely remains overlong with your most brave and stalwart kinsman, Master Baggins, and is overdue from listening too many days to an abundance of tales to be told, and just one more dinner to be had.  Rest assured, we will find your wayward brother, and," he gives just a sidelong glance at Andwise, "if there were any trouble to be had along the way, we will most assuredly sweep that aside, like the vermin that so mistakenly swept in here last night."


15:23, Today: Berangar rolled a total of 23: a great success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 4 (Feat Die), 4, 4, 6, 5. Encounter -- Awe. (w/one of my extra dice from the Insight extraordinary success)

15:22, Today: Berangar rolled a total of 22: an extraordinary success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 6 (Feat Die), 4, 6, 6. Encounter -- Insight.

Shalronel
 player, 71 posts
Tue 23 Sep 2014
at 20:14
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
OOC:   13:13, Today: Shalronel rolled a total of 17: a success with the Gandalf Rune using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 12 (Feat Die), 5. Insight.
Bes, child of Balin
 player, 41 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Tue 23 Sep 2014
at 20:33
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bés indulges liberally in warm bread and dark beer whilst her companions speak, listening to their words and considering Dody's reaction to each in turn. After polishing off quantities to rival a Hobbit's appetite, she leans back in her chair, props her feet on a nearby footstool, and dips into one of the pouches at her waist. Smiling with satisfaction, Bés fishes out her favorite pipe, packs it with Old Toby, pauses to light it, and takes several long, slow puffs before adding her voice to that of the others. "A repast of surpassing excellence, Master Dodinas," she rumbles approvingly. "An alimentary delight which shall soon earn the Easterly Inn accolades both near and far." Bés thoughtfully looses a pair of smoke-rings overhead. "I am naught but a modest tinker and trader, though my travels have taken me far and wide," she states in a low voice. "If news there be concerning your kinsman, I shall pursue it and with luck return him to you safe and sound."



13:09, Tue 23 Sept 2014: Bes, child of Balin rolled a total of 12 (12 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 ((6 (Feat Die), 6)). May as well spend a point of Hope, the great success gets me two bonus dice.

14:26, Today: Bes, child of Balin rolled a total of 15: a great success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 12 with rolls of 9 (Feat Die), 6. Courtesy.
Dodinas Brandybuck
 NPC, 6 posts
 Dody
 Bartender
Wed 24 Sep 2014
at 02:45
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
After being quite upset with Andwise's clumsy antics with the sword - although you all, around the table, do see that it is indeed a special blade, very fine craftsmanship indeed - Dody nearly faints when Bern talks about bringing back a dead Dindy, and his knees seem to be going weak.  However, upon hearing Berangar talk, and use his mighty body as a show of strength, the Hobbit calm down, and color comes back to his cheeks: "I am so sorry, I misunderstood, foolish innkeeper with wax in my ears, I thought you said... oh, never mind, never mind."
He bows to Shalronel, and Bés: '"Having an Elf with singing arrows, and a Dwarf trader who appreciates fine food and smoke, is quite an honor."
He thanks you all profusely, bowing again, and filling mugs and glasses and tankards up - without emptying Andwise's this time - and coming back to the table after fetching some papers and items from behind the counter.
First, he puts a purse down: "Here is some coin to pay for your expenses and time and such, and this is to compensate such valiant folk as you for taking on this rescue mission." He lays out some silverware - a finely crafter pewter dish, a silver serving bowl, a series of engraved copper napkin rings.
"When you return, we will all celebrate together, with my brother Dindy", he smiles at Berangar, "and you fine people, and any relatives of yours" - suddenly, Agatha interjects, from behind the counter: "Direct relatives. - and Dody nods, continuing: "Yes, yes, and any direct relatives can spend the entire winter here for free." Again, Agatha calls out: "Free lodging. No emptying the larder and cellar without footing the bill."
Dody nods, agreeing with her, but casting a look at you, showing he is a bit embarrassed of his wife's added remarks: "And we can hire you as caravan guards for all our future trading ventures."
Agatha smles at you: "If we agree on the terms, that is."
Dody now hands you four thick letters, impressive documents, off the finest paper, bearing heavy red wax seals.
Looking them over, you see they are addressed, in a beautiful handwriting to:
"King Daín" - which surprises Bés
"The Master of Lake-town"
"King Bard" - here it is Bern who is impressed
and, finally to one "Gandalf the Wizard, also called the Grey Wanderer, of No Fixed Abode But Usually Where There Is Trouble, Middle-earth".
"These were given to me by my friend and partner, Bilbo Baggins of Bag End, along with some others that we used, with a chap named Elrond, and big burly Beorn, even that fine bird of the King of Eagles, and I must say that you will find the reading of these does butter the plank as my dad used to say. Anyhow, anyhow, they are yours for setting out and getting my Dindy back."
"And the wagon-loads of goods," Agatha adds.
As you look at the letters, you are all moved to see the penmanship of the famous Hobbit who all know for having played such an important roll in the slaying of Smaug the Mighty Worm and freeing Erebor - though Shalronel does know King Thranduil was not overly amused by something that happened with his wine barrels.

Dody adds a map, telling you it is the other copy given to him by Bilbo - just like the one posted behind the bar.
This is for you to have, and help in your search for the missing Hobbit.  It is a rare thing, such a detailed map - most are big pieces of mainly blank paper with notifications such as "Here Are Spiders".  This one was made by Bilbo after his travels, with help from his illustrious friends.
This too, a map crafted by Bilbo himself, is precious to you.


OOC: the payment will amount to one Treasure Point (TP) each, and will also add 1 Encumbrance (thus 1 Fatigue point) per TP for those carrying it (you can safely leave it at the Inn) since it is a bit clunky.
For the map, it is the one under Game Map above, if you select Map O and click View (the other two show - Map Q - where the Easterly Inn is located, and the main area where you should be traveling next -Map P.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:49, Wed 24 Sept 2014.

Shalronel
 player, 74 posts
Wed 24 Sep 2014
at 03:27
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Shalronel looks at the others, impressed by the generosity of the hobbits, "Surely we cannot take your fine dishes dear hobbits, I am sure the cion will suffice for covering expenses during the trip." she says a bit embarrassed about accepting the coin but knowing that expenses would indeed show up on the adventure.  She moves to pick up the map, awed by its beauty.
Bern Asheye
 player, 53 posts
 END 28/26
 Hope 15/14
Wed 24 Sep 2014
at 08:47
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bern was both moved by the hobbits words and impressed by his generous heart and letters of recommendation. He felt embarrassed for his own callous words, he was not such a hard man but his tongued had slipped and he vowed to think better and weight each word before he utter it.

"I thank your generosity master Brandybuck but I agree with the fair maiden Shalronel, the safety of your brother... and his cargo..." he eyes Agatha " is reward in itself, some coin to keep our expenses and a safe lodge where one can rest one head and fill ones belly is a fine reward."
Bes, child of Balin
 player, 44 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Wed 24 Sep 2014
at 14:27
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bés raises a hand to politely decline the proffered coin and goods. "We Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain have such wealth in abundance," she observes simply. "Nor could I accept free lodging, being more than able to pay not only for myself but for all here assembled." Her dark eyes glitter merrily. "The hospitality and good company of Hobbits is treasure enough for the likes of this Dwarf."
Andwise Rumble
 player, 41 posts
Wed 24 Sep 2014
at 14:59
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Andwise, still feeling slightly embarassed over his earlier display, decides that discretion is best here and simply nods in agreement with the others.
Loremaster
 GM, 178 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Thu 25 Sep 2014
at 01:51
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
You gallantly refuse to take the family items the Brandybucks offered to help get Dindy back home, and Dody and Agatha look at one another, deeply moved.
The purse with some little silvers coins from the Shire you take, in case you need expenses on the way, and you look at the beautiful letters - wishing you could see what is inside, but knowing that if you open them their value would be lost, most probably.
And you join Shalronel in looking at the map, drawn on thick creamy parchment.

OOC:  I added one XP for your Heroic move of refusing Treasure to help the Hobbits, but since it is not to spend now (counting for the coming Adventuring Phase, so to be spent after that) I tallied it up but will not add it to your info' yet.
Have one of you take the purse (it contains one Treasure Point - 1 TP - that has no Encumbrance).
And tell me if you split the letters up, or if one of you takes them all for safekeeping.
Finally, I imagine that Bés, as Guide, would be the one to be carrying the map.


Talking amongst yourselves, you decide that you will form a Company of valiant fellows to go seeking for, and rescue if need be, Dinodas Brandybuck of the Lonely Inn.
The Dwarf Bés seems the most traveled and thus best suited to Guide you, mapping the route.  And the sure-footed Woodelf Shalronel will assist by Scouting - finding the best place to put up camp if you are in the Wilds, and such.  Andwise the Quick-Eared Hobbit and Bern the Trusty Man of Dale will be the wary ones, keeping their eyes open and serving as Look-outs, protecting you at night and such.  Finally, Berangar the Beorning who knows of Beasts and their habits, will bring you food if the trip lasts long, Hunting when neeed.
Thus, your roles are set... for now.
And, the long breakfast finally finished, you all set off, alone or in pairs, to prepare for the trip:  getting your gear ready, looking or asking for some special items...  well, you do not all set off right away, since Andwise sees it will soon be lunch, and it is time to quickly have Second Breakfast, or else he will be late for the Midday Meal, he can do his preparing after Nap-time and before Tea.

Bern takes it easy, resting his battle-weariness, but he knows that by the next morning he will have recovered and be fully healed and ready for the journey.

Berangar goes out in the afternoon, to check the Orc tracks, as you wished to do.

OOC:  Bern, by the next morning you will be at full Endurance.
Berangar, can you roll for Hunting, TN 14, to see what your tracking gives?
For all: tell me of any special preparations you make.

Bern Asheye
 player, 55 posts
 END 28/26
 Hope 15/14
Thu 25 Sep 2014
at 07:38
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Come morning as everyone gather in the inn main room in preparation for the journey to come.

"Last night I... I had a dream..." he begin, not all people of Dale suffered well his family gift "My dreams often carry omens for things to come... warning of ill to come befalling us..." he looks at Bes with his dead colored eyes "I dreamed that up and up I went, to a place high and cold, but suddenly the world closed in around me, trying to constrict me somehow, and I then dove deep down into the darkness."

He shrugs "I know not what it means but I think it would be wise for all to know about this foretelling."
Andwise Rumble
 player, 43 posts
Thu 25 Sep 2014
at 08:59
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
"Hmm" mutters Andwise as he records Bern's dream in the pages of his journal. Dreams where sometimes good and sometimes bad, and not always the product of too much cheese as his mother had told him when he was a young hobbit.
This one didn't sound good, especially the cold part. He wondered if he should bring an extra shirt - just in case.
Berangar
 player, 31 posts
Thu 25 Sep 2014
at 14:17
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Berangar looks at Bern, and shrugs slightly, "Sounds like we're bound for the mountains, then!"  He grins, "and then, into a ravine or some tunnels."  He shrugs again, "But who can say, with dreams?"

"I am off to backtrack the orcs, if any others are interested."  He slings his shield on his back, and hefts his spear in his hand, gives a small bow to his hosts, and heads to the clearing.

It takes little to track the stamping and slashing of orcs, and the big Beorning's eyes scan the ground, following the trail they left.


0:11, Today: Berangar rolled a total of 21: a great success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 8 (Feat Die), 5, 6, 2. Hunting -- tracking the orcs.

Loremaster
 GM, 180 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Thu 25 Sep 2014
at 15:31
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Berangar easily picks up the trail from where the Orcs entered the clearing.
He sees they all grouped a bit north of there, and broke out into the three groups you faced at the Inn, the Stables, and the main one in the clearing.  It is obvious to you that they conferred here.
Then you pick up the trail and move North from there: you see that they walked in single file, and did not stop much and were not diverted or side-tracked, showing they had purpose and a strong leader.
You speedily follow them, and see that the track then turns East, and you go along until you reach Mirkwood.
There the path enters the dark forest, and you know you cannot follow it, and you do not wish to go in the woods alone.
You come back to the Inn with this news.
The track showed you that the war party came to the Inn on purpose, that they had some knowledge of what to expect, since they did not scout it out before attacking, and that this was not a simple raiding party for loot or whatever but a more organized war-band.
Bes, child of Balin
 player, 52 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Thu 25 Sep 2014
at 15:56
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bés speaks after mulling over the Barding's words for a time. "'Twould seem the mountains are indeed our destination," she begins quietly, "and crossing the High Pass is the most perilous part of any journey from Eriador to Wilderland." Bés puffs on her pipe several times before continuing. "The sudden closing, constricting, and fall could mean an avalanche, or a Goblin trap. Both are likely, though in different seasons." She turns to Dody then. "How long ago was your brother expected, Master Dodinas, and what was the date of his last notice?"
Shalronel
 player, 83 posts
Thu 25 Sep 2014
at 16:35
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Shalronel tucks the coin and the letters away safe,excited to be actually going to rescue someone. She goes to her room then and packs up her belongings, making sure that everything is just right (which involves unpacking and then repacking at least twice).

As she enters the common room again she hears the talk of the mountains, "Are we thinking that the orcs came because of the brother then?" she asks as she sets her pack down and sits at the table again.
Bes, child of Balin
 player, 53 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Thu 25 Sep 2014
at 18:11
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bés nods once in answer to the Elf-maid's query. "The attack was too orderly to be a chance encounter," she states with certainty. "Their path of approach alone speaks volumes. They knew to avoid the Middle Vales' better-patrolled southern extents." Bés pauses to empty her pipe into the nearest ashtray. "Still, there is always the risk of avalance in the passes of the Misty Mountains."
Bern Asheye
 player, 56 posts
 END 28/26
 Hope 15/14
Thu 25 Sep 2014
at 18:23
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bern rubs his chin as he consider "But why? why would a band of orc risk crossing that much distance to attack an inn owned by a couple of hobbits?" he shakes his head "Orcs are cruel and mean but they are slo cowardly and are not prone to march in a suicide mission... no they wanted something here... wanted it dearly or strongly motivated..."

He looks at the distance "The more I think of it the more I am convinced we are to involve the wizard Radagast. More is hidden then revealed in this matter..."
Bes, child of Balin
 player, 54 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Thu 25 Sep 2014
at 18:43
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bés shakes her head in disagreement. "'Tis near a month to Rhosgobel and thence to the foot of the pass," she informs the Barding. "We can practically be in Bree by that time, should we make for it directly."
Dodinas Brandybuck
 NPC, 7 posts
 Dody
 Bartender
Thu 25 Sep 2014
at 23:33
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Master Brandybuck, who is always close at hand, making sure you have all you need before leaving for the Grand Rescue Mission - though Agatha often sighs, stating that Dindy probably just left late - brings a letter to Bés.
It is the one Dindy sent earlier, and that arrived late Spring. In it, Dindy describes how he has arrived in a village called Bree and started to gather supplies and guards for his journey. Based on the date, Dindy should have already arrived at the Easterly Inn if he set off within a month of writing the letter as he intended to do, and so Dody is very worried, what with the Orcs and all.
Agatha states that true adventurers know that journeys rarely go smoothly, and that Dindy may have suffered unexpected but quite ordinary delays.
But Dody is adamant, if Dindy does not arrive within the next few weeks, then something will indeed have happened to him, and it is dangerous to go travelling in the Wild when the autumn wind blows, and even more so when winter comes, so these nice peoples are going to find out what is at the bottom of all this.
According to the letter, Dindy should be travelling with half-a-dozen Men, and Iwgar.
Loremaster
 GM, 183 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Fri 26 Sep 2014
at 00:03
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Having prepared your traveling packs - all taking some warmer winter clothes just in case for the mountains, and Andwise slipping in an extra shirt -, and received fine food from Agatha for the journey, you are gathered around the dinner table at nightfall, where Berangar - having just returned - tells you of what he saw. Discussing Radagast and travel times, during the meal, you now look at the map with Bés, who, rubbing her beard and plotting the course with her finger, shows you the trip she wishes you to take towards where Dindy and his party will be coming from Bree, through the High Pass in the Misty Mountains.

OOC:  so, all who wish can roll for Lore - or use a Trait for an automatic single success (rolling can get you from 0 to 3 extra dice for the journey, a Trait gives you one for sure) - to see what you know about this Journey and the places you might cross.
Bés can describe the trip that will be made, as Guide.


When you sleep, later on - after discussing and preparing the trip - Bern will spend a good night's sleep, fully resting, and both Bés and Shalronel, each in their own room, will feel that time has come to try and use more of their race's magic if need be.  You both have been learning and testing this, but were never sure you mastered it well enough, but know that you most probably can use it without fail.
You also know that this new spell or set of loaded runes, like the one you already know, is not to be used without thought, for it is said that its power can somehow attract the attention of Ancient or Evil creatures.

OOC: you know that all spells add one "point" to the Eye Awareness pool.
Berangar
 player, 32 posts
Fri 26 Sep 2014
at 02:35
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Berangar shakes his head, perplexed, as he relates what he found tracking the orcs.  "They were set to their purpose, and disciplined.  Not like orcs to be so.  I also expected to find they were from the mountains, but the trail took me the other way, east to Mirkwood. If our missing Hobbit had anything to do with these orcs, I expect they would have come from the west, not the east."
Bern Asheye
 player, 57 posts
 END 28/26
 Hope 15/14
Fri 26 Sep 2014
at 09:58
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bern ash gaze is set on Bes "True but we must not ignore the orc threat..." he consider for a few moments then turn to Dody. "Master Brandybuck I beg thee pardon for I am going to request an alteration to the deal we have signed upon. In return I'll waver all clauses that were to benefit me. My request is that in return of the rescue of your brother you will send urgent tiding about the events that happened here for both king Bard and to Rhosgobel to find its wizard patron."
Berangar
 player, 33 posts
Fri 26 Sep 2014
at 13:07
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Looking from Bes, to Bern, to Dody, Berangar gives a small shake of his shaggy head.  "Friend Bern, if it ease your mind, directly on the way to the Old Ford and the High Pass, from whence I have just recently journeyed, we shall pass the House of Beorn, lord and protector of these lands.  We can venture there, and deliver word, and in his wisdom, he may choose where to send tidings, as many men, such as myself, are at his command."
Shalronel
 player, 84 posts
Fri 26 Sep 2014
at 16:26
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
"Well, I believe that our first priority should be to recover Master Dody's brother, as that is the imminent threat.  Calara has returned to Mirkwood to warn the king of the orc threat.  That should be sufficient to have him send warning to Radagast." she says thoughtfully, "It might be too dangerous to send a single emissary to the wizard right now."

OOC:  Lore roll for the trip.  17:32, Yesterday: Shalronel rolled a total of 15 (12 if weary): a success (failure if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 7 (Feat Die), 2, 1, 5. lore roll.
Bes, child of Balin
 player, 56 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Sun 28 Sep 2014
at 18:29
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Only halfway following the conversation around her, Bés silently traces a route on Bilbo's map and steeples her fingers as she sits back in her chair. "I concur with our Beorning friend, we can leave word at Beorn's House," she finally says. "Master Dinodas may have simply tarried overlong in Rivendell, as Hobbits are wont to do," Bés rumbles lowly, "but 'tis better we find him safe and sound, drinking Elf wine and surrounded by comfort, than the alternative."



13:41, Today: Bes, child of Balin rolled a total of 10 (6 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 6 (Feat Die), 2, 2. Journey Advantage (Lore). No bonus dice for moi, this trip, unless I spend Hope. May be worth it, even for a single die, seeing as I can give the die to another or use both the die and Hope on some crucial roll. Decisions, decisions...
Bern Asheye
 player, 58 posts
 END 28/26
 Hope 15/14
Sun 28 Sep 2014
at 20:39
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Bern nods to Berangar "That is a good and wise idea my friend. While I would be overjoyed to find the esteem Master Dinodas sipping elven wine with the lords of Rivendell, I would hate to think that a threat to the free lands was over looked."

He pour himself on to the map but quickly lose interest in it, maps were nice and useful but he never had a knack for them beside this journey planned was far beyond the scope of his travels so far.

OOC
23:35, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 7 (7 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 2 (Feat Die), 5. Journey Advantage (Lore).

Berangar
 player, 35 posts
Mon 29 Sep 2014
at 03:03
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Berangar looks carefully at the map, a bemused smile on his face, muttering old bits of stories half remembered.  He glances at Dody, "Your mapmaker clearly loves his work, and has an eye for details." 

He nods in return to Bern, "Aye, the best we might do is find what is stirring these orc folk.  Then we will have something worthwhile to tell to the Wise."
Andwise Rumble
 player, 45 posts
Tue 30 Sep 2014
at 14:47
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)
Andwise mearly sighs, both head and stomack still feeling slightly uncomfortable. And to tell the truth the idea of heading off to find orcs did little to help either.

OOC
15:43, Today: Andwise Rumble rolled a total of 9 (9 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 4 (Feat Die), 5. Lore Roll.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:52, Tue 30 Sept 2014.

Bern Asheye
 player, 98 posts
Tue 2 Dec 2014
at 15:14
Re: 001-Of the Building of the Inn (introduction)

This message was deleted by the player at 16:20, Tue 02 Dec 2014.