000-Berangar (intro' & personal)   Posted by Loremaster.Group: 0
Loremaster
 GM, 624 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Wed 11 Feb 2015
at 03:14
Re: 000-Berangar (introduction)
OOC:  back to your personal thread, for some IC events after the first adventure.

Following the funeral ceremony at the Carrock and some days spent mourning Iwgar, when it came time for the Company to disband, with Andwise heading off to the West, and the others going East, stopping in places along the way to the Lonely Mountain…  Berangar remained in Beorn's Halls.

Since many Beorning leaders and family heads had come to honor Iwgar, it turned out that long talks were held, even though Beorn himself had disappeared - along with Ennalda.  Thus Berangar remained to attend these, and listen on, and meet the people from various places.

A few more days passed, before the informal meeting came to and end, as people started to break up and return home.

It was around then, as Berangar was getting ready to leave too, debating whether to go to his family or first head up to the Inn and see about how baby El had been returned safely, that Ennalda came back to the Hall on the night before Berangar had planned to leave.
Ennalda
 NPC, 1 post
 Beorning
 Spear-maiden
Wed 11 Feb 2015
at 03:30
Re: 000-Berangar (introduction)
"Friend Berangar, Ennalda said, squatting in front of the fire, warming her hands and looking through the stew pots for something to eat. "I wished to talk with you.  Our Leader left on some hunt I know not much about, although I do understand it has to do with some threat he feels is a-brewing, like dark clouds on the horizon.  As for me, he asked that I go find how the hunt for the boy goes.  The baby taken from the Easterly Inn.  The hunting parties are still looking, but they have found no trace whatsoever.  It seems this Shanker took a skiff from where the Hobbit was fishing, but no trace of it has been found, yet, so we do not know if he went North of South, nor where he exited - doubling back West, or heading East.  The boy's father, Hardgar, is still hunting, and the mother, Winnea, remains at the Inn with her other children.  But I fear it is no longer tracking, more like hoping to find some clue in the vast forest.  The trail is cold.
Having found the food, she serves herself and eats.
"What of you, what wish you to do?  I hear your Fellows have departed for their lands.  As I told you, I feel Beorn will ask aught of you.  Iwgar was returning here, with the Hobbit-caravan, for a reason, since Beorn had called upon him, to task him with some mission.  It seems to me that this is what Beorn is wondering about:  to entrust you with what Iwgar Longleg was to do.  I am not sure of this, since Beorn keeps his ideas close to him, but maybe you wish to remain her until he returns, and see…  if it interests you to serve in this way."
Berangar
 player, 153 posts
Fri 13 Feb 2015
at 23:44
Re: 000-Berangar (introduction)
Berangar nods, almost immediately.  "Aye, I will serve as I may.  I am not the great man that Iwgar Longleg was, but I would strive to do what I could with all my heart, the strength of my arm, and the sweat of my brow."
Loremaster
 GM, 632 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Sat 14 Feb 2015
at 07:50
Re: 000-Berangar (introduction)
Thus Berangar spent Fall and Winter in the Beorning lands, visiting his family for some time, where it was noted by his elders that his recent travels seemed to have made him more thoughtful and wise, and where the younger folk remarked that his skill with the axe had grown indeed - Orc-felling teaches more than Log-splitting, they jested.
Loremaster
 GM, 635 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Sat 14 Feb 2015
at 20:53
Re: 000-Berangar (introduction)
Berangar's kin was happy about the silverware he brought back from the Hobbit-folk, that they would keep safe in their wooden coffers.  They also talked amongst one another of how it showed that Berangar had adventured and battled the roving Orc bands, for he seemed more Valorous and was obviously more astute in using his strength and dexterity, they were sure that in future fights he would avoid more blows than before.  Thus it was no surprise when a messenger arrive, asking Berangar to come to Beorn's Halls.
Loremaster
 GM, 637 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Sun 15 Feb 2015
at 13:42
Re: 000-Berangar (introduction)

Thus it came that Berangar was a guest at a ceremony in Beorn's Hall on the night of the Fall Solstice.
A score of people were there - Ennalda among them - and Beorn himself, around the big fire in the hearth.
"Time has come," Beorn stated, "to see if Berangar will be on of ours.  You see, Berangar friend to Iwgar and Ennalda, we are offering you to take seat with us, in our Thíng, where we discuss and try to fight the threats from beyond our borders."
He looked at Berangar:  "As you know, I stepped up to unite the homesteads of the Anduin Vales some five years ago, after the Battle of the Five Armies, but I have had an Enemy for far more many years.  And my fear is this Enemy is moving again."
Beorn goes on to tell you about the mountain named Gundabad that lies to the north-west of the Vales of the Anduin, where the Misty and the Grey Mountains come together, and some Orc-lineage rules and reigns under the mountains.
Beorn goes on to tell you about the mountain range that runs off to the north-west from this Mount Gundabad, this range is part of the Misty Mountains but the region is named Angmar, and some King of Witchcraft ruled and reigned.
"Thus, though the Men-folk united with me keep the Old Ford safe, and the lands of what are now called the Beornings, free, we, here united, strive to bring the fight beyond those borders, and push back the Enemies I just mentioned", Beorn tells Berangar, "and we wish to know if you would join us in our battle.  Two members of the Thíng have vouched for you, one by the fact you fought by his stand with faltering, and brought his remains and battle-gear back, the other, for she speaks highly of you.  Do you wish to be one of us, Berangar?".

Are you to agree, Beorn will ask you to first see what information you can gather on the Orc-attack against the Easterly Inn, and on Shanker's abduction of the child, by traveling to the Inn, and seeing the Dwarf Frier - "that beggar living off the Hobbit's overly-kind hearts", Beorn sneers - meeting with the Woodmen who tracked Shanker…
Then, once you have taken your time to see what you learn, and have returned, you will be told what has been decided.

The meeting in the Hall ends with all standing up, and shouting, in unison:  "The day will come when they will perish and we shall go back!".

Berangar
 player, 156 posts
Sun 15 Feb 2015
at 20:14
Re: 000-Berangar (introduction)
"Aye, I would join you, and hope to prove myself worthy," Berangar answers Beorn solemnly.

When Beorn then finishes, he adds, "I will seek where I can, and find out what I may.  Though the days grow short, so shall my stride grow long," he promises.

He raises his voice with all the others, and in spite of the worries of the world, he celebrates with his kin, all that they have, and saves the mourning of what they have lost.

When the celebration has ended, he fills his pack and sets off north to the Easterly Inn.  Eagerness drives his steps, wishing to see the little folk once again, and find some answers as to how a ragged old man with a child could elude so many trackers.
Loremaster
 GM, 640 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Mon 16 Feb 2015
at 00:08
Re: 000-Berangar (introduction)
Berangar journeyed up to the Easterly Inn, where he was happy to see the Hobbits once again, and even more so since both Agatha and Dindy seemed in much better spirits.

Interested in finding some answers as to how a ragged old man with a child could elude so many trackers, he went to speak with the Woodmen in the camp beside the Inn, and saw that - with the help of Frier - they were building a palisade to protect their huts.
Berangar spent time helping them, and, while working, listening to what was said about the fruitless hunt for baby El.
Over days of toil, and shared meals, Berangar found out that none had any idea of how Shanker had disappeared.
The only idea they had, is that he took a skiff and moved up or down river, exited somewhere, covering his tracks so they could not find them, and then let the boat float down river where it was found, sunk.

Hardgar - the father - and Winnea - the mother - had left for Rhosgobel with their family.  Too saddened by the loss of two children.

Berangar did learn some things by talking with Frier, chopping logs with the old Dwarf.
Frier
 NPC, 9 posts
 Dwarf
 Tinker-smith
Mon 16 Feb 2015
at 00:19
Re: 000-Berangar (introduction)
"I've fought many an Orc in me life", Frier said, grunting as he sliced the wood, "and I know my Foul-speak".  He looks around, and lowers his voice: "Ufum Ghash Nash", "they said.  It means Fear Fire Flesh, and was a War-cry of the Orcs of M…  of that Dark Place with the big Eye.  So, here you have Orcs of the Screaming Dagger, from the Misty Mountains, with the Clan's dagger symbol, chanting the War-cry from, well, from the same place as their Leader must have come, that Orc with the red stylized eye symbol.  From…"  lowers his voice:  "Mordor".
He wipes his brow, and takes a long drink of fresh water from the goat-skin.
"Methinks that means something.  Some Orc-captain from far South recruiting these Mountain-orcs.  Besides, have you ever been in a big battle, son?  Ha, thought not…  remember how they attacked?  Three groups, one to the left flank, one to the right flank, and the third - with their leader - down the center.  Pure text-book battle-plan.  And they even had a fourth group coming around the back to cut off the retreat… the group I met!"
He swings his axe and SMASHES it into the tree, sending wood chips flying all over.
"Met me and me axe!"
He smiles.
"And who was in that center they seemed to aim for?  Well, Hardgar's family, mainly.  Now, if you figure in that this Shanker fellow runs off with Hardgar's wee one, and one of Hardgar's boys died during the Orc attack, it gets me to thinking if the Inn was what they were after, or, as I see it:  Hardgar and his family."
Agatha Brandybuck
 NPC, 7 posts
 Took-born
 Inn manager
Mon 16 Feb 2015
at 00:43
Re: 000-Berangar (introduction)
One winter morning, leaving his room to go help work on the Woodman palisade that was nearly finished now, Berangar passed an open door and saw Agatha inside a room she was cleaning.
Agatha was looking out the window.
Seeing Berangar she rubbed her arms, shivering:  "Twas from this window that I first saw Shanker.  What an evil man he turned out to be."
Berangar moves into the room, and looks out the window, seeing the little stone bridge over the stream.
"Over yonder, just past the bridge.  Evil Shanker was coming along towards the bridge when I saw him.  Must have scared off a customer, because there was a traveler on horseback just behind him, a tall Man-folk person, all clad in black, on his midnight horse.  But I imagine Shanker rattled him, because he just spun around and disappeared."
She shrugs, and looks up at you:
"Funny, heh, I'm so joyful and chipper, but, I remember being all snappy and seeing everything as bleak and gloomy then…".

As Agatha talks of that, Berangar thinks about some old rhyme he knew, this ancient verse comes all of a sudden to mind.  He could not remember the beginning, nor what came after, nor even where this was taken from, but the words just popped up in his mind all of a sudden:
"…Shadows under his great Shadow they moved liked Dark Omens
"And Shadows of Fear they could unfurl over unsuspecting Men
"Binding Weak like Strong to do their bidding and answer to 'em
"While Folk and Beasts, albeit peaceful, felt anger and spite rise in them…"

Loremaster
 GM, 641 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Mon 16 Feb 2015
at 00:46
Re: 000-Berangar (introduction)
Such were the events that Berangar thought of, as he spent one last moment looking over the tomb, nicely flowered and delimited with white stones, behind the inn.
Milo Roper had been buried far from the Shire.
He would soon be back to report to Beorn.

OOC:  ask and react to all you wish.  Also, you are going with Noble Armor, leather shirt (1d)?
Berangar
 player, 157 posts
Mon 16 Feb 2015
at 04:30
Re: 000-Berangar (introduction)
In reply to Frier (msg # 20):

Berangar shakes his head.  "Aye, I knew Hardgar had lost a lad in the battle.  I was fighting right beside them."  He passes his hand over his eyes.  "Do you know anything of the family? Why would orc folk go after them, especially?"
Berangar
 player, 158 posts
Mon 16 Feb 2015
at 04:39
Re: 000-Berangar (introduction)
In reply to Agatha Brandybuck (msg # 21):

Speaking with Agatha, Berangar answers her, "I think, perhaps, Shanker may not have been so evil himself.  He may have had an unsavory disposition, and was by all means an unpleasant fellow.  When our fellowship encountered him, though, I did not deem him such a monster as this.  Bes, our dwarf companion, confirmed as much likewise.  Such evil was not his character.

"But this is the first I have heard of this other traveler.  That is interesting, indeed.  Do you know had any other seen him on the roads before or since?" 

Frier
 NPC, 10 posts
 Dwarf
 Tinker-smith
Mon 16 Feb 2015
at 06:41
Re: 000-Berangar (introduction)
Frier shook his head too:  "Nay, my friend, I'm not even sure what I'm saying as far him and his kin being the targets is true.  All I know, is that the fire where his family was was what the Orcs were aiming for, not the Inn.  But Hardgar, what could anyone want from a poor Woodman with eleven children?".  Frier shakes his head.
Agatha Brandybuck
 NPC, 8 posts
 Took-born
 Inn manager
Mon 16 Feb 2015
at 06:46
Re: 000-Berangar (introduction)
Agatha looked at Berangar:  "Well, Shanker did pay for his room, so he cannot have been all bad I guess.  As for the other traveler, I have not heard anyone mention someone like that.  Would have been a fine guest, with his big black riding-horse.  Must have good coin - and wanting hay.  Not often we have riders like that."
Suddenly, she rubs her chin, and leans in towards Berangar:  "In the Shire there are folk like him, kind of all covered up so you cannot see their face, Rangers we call them."
Then she leans back out:  "Well, Rangers do not go on horses though, otherwise we'd call them Riders.  And they do not favor all black as much."
She shrugs:  "Ah well, whatever he did, I'm sure that Shanker made us miss a good customer."
Loremaster
 GM, 650 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Mon 16 Feb 2015
at 16:12
Re: 000-Berangar (introduction)
Berangar spent time scouring the area around the Easterly Inn, looking around the path Shanker was said to have taken.
He saw the fishing spot where Milo was slain, knifed in the back, and where the small boat was stolen from.
He followed, for a bit, the paths the three tracking parties followed, and saw that they had covered a lot of ground, and obviously truly went over all they could think of and even more.  He could do not better…

Berangar also went to see the area where Agatha had seen Shanker for the first time, where he was speaking with the rider.  Since it was on the path, the path Berangar had used himself, it was obvious he would not find much…  and he found nothing.

However, working in circles all around that spot, hoping that the rider might have cut through the brush - which he found no sign of - Berangar, who knew a lot about Beast-lore, did find something strange:  a nest of birds where it seemed as though the eggs had been smashed by the parents ; as well as a some ferrets, that seemed from the same lair, that had, oddly enough, ripped their throats apart in some kind of internecine fight…  The beasts - of various kinds - in the area close to the path, just beyond the bridge, had, a few weeks ago at the latest, been in some kind of blood-frenzy.

Thus, after all these weeks of research, he felt it was time to return to Beorn, and head on down through the cold winter-fields.


OOC:  tell me if you wish to ask more from Agatha and Frier, though that is the main gist of their information.
Berangar
 player, 159 posts
Mon 16 Feb 2015
at 17:02
Re: 000-Berangar (introduction)
Berangar stays only a day or two more, letting his hosts and friends know of his plan to return to Beorn's Hall.  His usual bright demeanor is clouded, though he tries not to dwell on the thoughts that weigh upon him.

Before leaving, he speaks with the Brandybucks and Frier, "I will return to Beorn's hall, for now.  But, my friends, if you should pass south that way, do please call upon me, for I should love to see you again.  Especially you, Master Dinodas, after all the trouble we went to of rescuing you!" he grins.  "At the least, if you are overdue, I will know to come looking for you!"  After a moment's pause, he adds, "And, if you should hear of my companions returning out of the east, would you send them to me, or send word?  I have much I would discuss with them, and hear their wisdom." 

He then parts ways, shouldering his pack and setting upon his path south to Beorn, hoping to meet with the great chieftain, or at least Ennalda if he should be away.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:04, Mon 16 Feb 2015.

Loremaster
 GM, 651 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Mon 16 Feb 2015
at 17:42
Re: 000-Berangar (introduction)
Having received vows from the Hobbits that news would be given to Berangar as he asked, the Beorning traveled south.
Frost on the tall grass, now dry in the winter.
Upon reaching Beorn's Hall, he found that Ennalda was there waiting, and he was admitted to see the Master of the place.
Beorn was there, grim faced as often, and, before Berangar could settle down, or even secure his kit, Beorn nodded towards him, urging him to talk.
Berangar
 player, 160 posts
Mon 16 Feb 2015
at 18:53
Re: 000-Berangar (introduction)
In the manner of his host, Berangar begins right away, not waiting on ceremony.  "I have found some few things of interest, though not nearly all that I would have liked.  I searched again for Shanker and the child, but found no more than the earlier hunters.  At least, now, I am sure they were thorough, and I know I could have found no more than they." 

Berangar will relate all that has been told to him in his conversations, but will add observations of his own:

"I do not know if the dwarf, Frier, was right about the targeting of Hardgar and his family, but it is a curious coincidence.  I do not take his words lightly -- I saw the orcs piled around him that he had hewn down.  Yet I know little more of this family, and why any great Enemy would strike at them, in particular, so ferociously.

More worrying, to me, is this black rider who followed Shanker to the bridge of the inn, but no further.  Nagging thoughts and half remembered tales of black riders tug at me, but I recall only snatches about them here and there.  But, in the path of this black rider, animals became twisted and attacked their own mates, their own young.  Such an influence might well have broken Shanker's already twisted mind." 



OOC:  I didn't want to simply go through the exercise of retyping all of his conversations, so I hope it's okay that I used the short cut in the second paragraph above? 

Loremaster
 GM, 652 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Mon 16 Feb 2015
at 20:37
Re: 000-Berangar (introduction)
Beorn listens to all Berangar has to say. taking it in, remaining deadpan.
After staring Berangar in the eye for a long spell, he stands up, rising tall and broad, and moves forward, lowering his head to be able to speak low:  "I believe this black rider you talk of could be an envoy of Angmar.  One is said to have a steed with a coat of night.  And they can stir Evil in people's souls, as well as bend mortals to their will."

Taking a step back, his voice booms, once again loud and powerful:  "Thank you Berangar. I will look into your tidings... that are as I feared.  And mayhaps seek you out to further this quest for knowledge of what is moving into these lands from the North."

Beorn turns around and picks up some folded leather:  "In the meantime', he says, turning around: "I wish to bestow this armor upon you, a Noble Shirt of Leather if ever there was one, that is to show that you are under my direct command, as one of my Rovers."
And he hands you, extending both arms, a light set of armor, the leather-shirt.
As Berangar takes it, he sees that it is quite old, and weathered, but in great shape, having been deeply oiled and well cared for.
The front, the entire chest, has been worked upon, with intricate embroidered leather.  No images, but beautiful designs.

OOC:  like Celtic knotwork.

These designs have been painted and lacquered, thus the armor is made of leather, and has the natural hide color.  But where the designs were dug into the armor, bright colors fill the designs:  a lot of greens, light and dark, and some reds.
It is a splendid piece indeed.

OOC:  thus you have Beorn as your Patron, and Standing 1, as a Rover - one of Beorn's personal men, people who carry out missions for him.  His mind having been made up after you brought this successful information back.

"Now", Beorn says, motioning you to take a seat beside him, as he breaks out a big loaf of bread and opens a jar of fresh cream, "I would like to tell you what I was going to ask Iwgar to do for me."

As you eat, Beorn goes on to explain how he is defending the Old Ford, to help people move freely between the East and the West of the Mountains, and that he hopes the Old Forest Road will soon be re-opened.
His folk, as you also know, dwell in the lands north of the Ford, along both sides of the Anduin, all the way up to the other road, the Elf Path.
That is the domain he protects:  the West and East Middle Vales.

Now, it so happens that many Dwarves do not take the Old Forest Road - not yet opened - nor the Elf Road - that they do not like - but still go up North, above MIrkwood.  They cross what is called the Grey Mountain Narrows, and then come down the East Upper Vales.
Beorn would like to see if he can extend some protection to that trade route too, at least to the part running down along the West of Mirkwood.
He wants to do this to help free passage for all, but also to foil the Viglunding, who live in the West Upper Vales and who seem to be expanding.
These people are of the same stock as the Beornings, the same culture, except that they follow a more martial leader, Viglund, and they practice slavery.

Beorn tells you:  "Up North, where the East Upper Vales turn into the Grey Mountain Narrows, just past what is named the Mouth of Dust, the pass that leads out of the Vales of Anduin and into the ghastly narrows between Mirkwood and the Grey Mountains. you will find Frár the Beardless".

He tells you that this Frár, called the Beardless, is one of the houseless Dwarves who live in the Narrows of the Grey Mountains. He is a wandering tinker and potsmith, traveling down as far as Lake-town on his journeys, but what interests Beorn, is that he is constantly tring to rally the Dwarves and other Free Folk to his cause:  reclaiming the old Dwarven holds of the North, such as the Greydelve.

Beorn would like you to see if the Frár would accept and alliance with Beorn, that the both would help make the passage all the way down the East Anduin Vale safe.  This would help Beorn's plans, and further Frár's, since Dwarves would be able to set up lodging and such up north.
Besides, Beorn would help Frár with his plan of re-taking the Greydelve if it becomes feasible.

"That would be my request to you:  gather who you feel you need, and who would travel with you, and take my proposal to this Frár, and win him over so that we may be allies in this endeavor", Beorn tells you.

OOC:  no problem at all about not repeating all when posting.
Berangar
 player, 161 posts
Tue 17 Feb 2015
at 03:54
Re: 000-Berangar (introduction)
Berangar listens gravely to all that Beorn has to say, accepting the ancient leather shirt solemnly.  "I am honored to be a Rover under your command, and I shall do my utmost to be worthy." 

He brighten as the big man breaks out the bread and cream, happily refreshing himself after his travels on the trail.

Once he has eaten, listening intently to Beorn's plans, he nods, "This is a wise course, to open the trade routes, and perhaps, aid the dwarves near this side of the forest.  I shall find this Frár, and do all that I can to honor Iwgar with my greatest efforts on behalf of our people." 
Loremaster
 GM, 660 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Tue 17 Feb 2015
at 07:16
Re: 000-Berangar (introduction)
Beorn claps you on the back, with his wide hand:  "Good!", before stomping out of the back of his Hall.

_____


Around the same time, before Winter was even over, Berangar was called upon by an adventurous and now joyous Dindy, who was hurrying West, across the Misty Mountains, having joined a small group of Dwarves from the Iron Hills who were headed on a long journey to the Blue Mountains.
Dinodas Brandybuck
 NPC, 2 posts
 Dindy
 Younger brother
Tue 17 Feb 2015
at 07:23
Re: 000-Berangar (introduction)
"Hullo, hullo, tall Berangar, with your head up there in the frosty heights --- oh, would you have some of that Honey of Beorn's? --- how fare you?  I am off to the Shire.  Agatha saw these here Dwarves were passing through our lands, so I am off to gather another caravan and furnish our fine Inn with the best of goods --- and some butter to go on the bread that you might find for me to go with the honey?".

OOC:  feel free to react to Beorn, and Dindy too.  The idea being that you can prepare, visit your family, and then, early Spring, Andwise will arrive, returning with Dindy's caravan ; and Bés, Brandoin and Bern will arrive from the East.
Berangar
 player, 162 posts
Tue 17 Feb 2015
at 15:54
Re: 000-Berangar (introduction)
Berangar simply grins in response to Beorn, a wide, exuberant grin full of bright, white teeth.  He springs to his feet, getting back to work.


When he sees Dindy, he is more cheerful yet, seeing the young hobbit back in good spirits after his dark time following the siege at the ringfort.  "Master Dinodas!" he booms, "perhaps we might spare a little honey, even if from my own share, for a brave fellow setting out on a long journey."

Berangar will celebrate a good start with Dindy and his dwarven friends, asking them about their journey, especially if they have traversed the Grey Mountain Narrows.  He will work in a question about Frar, and what they may know of him.

When they depart, Berangar, if he is finished at Beorn's, will travel with them as far as the Old Road, turning east and parting ways as they turn west.  He will winter over with his family, helping as he might around the homestead, giving them news of happenings, and his appointment as Rover.

As the cold winter months come on, he works indoors with the others, but also takes his times outside as the snows come.  He encourages his father to again travel to Beorn's to celebrate Yuletide, where Berangar does his best not to be left behind in the merriment of the Beornings.

The short days do nothing to dampen the spirits of the young man, as he goes out most days, tending to animals in the barns, and walking in the wild lands about, sometimes hunting, sometimes only curious of the lands and the life upon it.

As the snows begin to melt, he asks leave of his father to travel to the Old Ford, to aid the Beornings there, and be there when the hobbits arrive again out of the kindly West.
Loremaster
 GM, 665 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Tue 17 Feb 2015
at 16:45
Re: 000-Berangar (introduction)
Talking with the Dwarves Dindy is traveling with, Berangar learns that, yes indeed, they came through the Narrows.
Regarding Frár, they talk freely of him.  He is called the Beardless because he lost his beard when he was captured and tortured by Goblins in the ruins of the Dwarf-hall called the Greydelve, which was the home of his ancestors for many long ages until the Goblins took it.
Of course they know him well, for, wherever hegoes, he tells endless tales of the Goblins, and tries to rally Dwarves and all Free Folk.
But you feel these Dwarves think Frár to be a bit mad.
"Frár  has visited Dáin Ironfoot’s court once a year since Erebor was retaken, to demand that Dáin send warriors to reclaim the Greydelve.  But Dáin will never agree to that", they tell Berangar.  "However,  Frár knows all the Homeless Dwarves who live in the Narrows, and is a good guide to that region", one Dwarf laughs:  "He knows all the paths in that region as well as he remembers every knot and hair in his vanished beard!".

_____


Wintering with his family, who were so proud his appointment as Rover and his incredibly beautiful armor, Berangar celebrate Yuletide in Beorn's Stead, with his father.

Come early spring, he traveled with his father's blessing to the Old Ford, and was helping his kin, doing guard duty, when he saw a caravan arriving from Bree, with a dozen guards - including the three Bree-landers Berangar fought with at the Ring-fort, who were now seasoned Guard-leaders - as well as Dindy and…  a cheerful Andwise!

OOC:  unless you have other specific questions for here, let us move for now to 003-TA2946 end of year (1st Fellowship Phase)