000-Berangar (intro' & personal)   Posted by Loremaster.Group: 0
Loremaster
 GM, 101 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Sun 7 Sep 2014
at 06:18
000-Berangar (introduction)
Late Spring, year 2946 of the Third Age

Berangar was washing his feet in a pot of warm water, seated in front of the camp-fire.
He had just arrived from the Old Ford, and was tired.  Not because of this trip, but because he had not had time to rest at the Ford at all upon returning there from his previous mission - which had been returning to the Ford with news from the Mountain Beornings at the High Pass that Orcs seemed to be becoming more active in that part of the Misty Mountains.
So, now he planned to take some well deserved rest, and accomplish his mission:  to see how things were going at the Easterly Inn.
It had been an easy trek up here, going north from the Old Ford, along the river Anduin, passing between the Carrock and Beorn's Halls, up to the east a little, to this new inn the Hobbit brothers had been building since the end of last year.

The Easterly Inn was close to finished, at least the outside seemed done.
Berangar had seen it upon passing the small stone bridge that arches over babbling waters of a stream.
It consisted of a small but comfortable wooden inn containing the common room and a few guest rooms for Big Folk, some outbuildings and stables, and the Hobbit-hole beneath where Dindy, Dody, Agatha and Dody’s two young sons live.
A big garden was in the back, and, close-by, the budding village of Woodmen - and some Beornings - settling in, and preparing the first crops that are soon to be harvested in the first fields cleared out in the surrounding grassland.

That is where Berangar had headed, and already saw that it was obvious that several families were here to stay.  Rumors were true:  not only had the Hobbits created an Inn, they had given birth to a village, one that seemed to have settlers of several origins.
Right now he was conversing with Hardgar, a Beorning father - a true father, he had nearly a dozen children! - while the wife had brought Berangar hot water for his feet, before turning her back to him to nurse her baby, a little boy nicknamed El.  That was actually the first baby to be born in the "village'.
Berangar
 player, 1 post
Sun 7 Sep 2014
at 16:59
Re: 000-Berangar (introduction)
Berangar leaned back, letting the weariness of his journey seep from his bones, looked upon Hardgar's many children, and smiled, though perhaps a bit wistfully.  One day, he would have a strong wife and many children like Hardgar, a man who did his part to make his people grow strong and prosperous.

Finding his attention wandering, he focused his gaze back on his host.  Too much you let your thoughts wander to stories of what was, and what may be, he chided himself.

"In the mountains, they speak of orcs, multiplying and coming out of their holes," he tells Hardgar, "though if they seek to come east of the river, they've short memories for the lord Beorn's wrath!"
Loremaster
 GM, 104 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Sun 7 Sep 2014
at 21:09
Re: 000-Berangar (introduction)
Hardgar nods:  "Your leader is a strong man, and with the warriors like you who have come to him, he is making it possible to have places like this again.  I think he will have chased the Orcs back into the mountains for good and..."
"Ufum ghash nash!"
A guttural scream. An awful language.
This call sounds out, coming from the tree line to the north, as the sun sets behind the Inn to the west.
As the men jump to their feet, looking around, trying to comprehend where these Orcish voices come from.  Can it be?
But, at the same, foes explode into the vast man made clearing.
A few dozen Orcs!
They rush at the camp.
"Ufum ghash nash!"
Berangar
 player, 2 posts
Mon 8 Sep 2014
at 10:23
Re: 000-Berangar (introduction)
Berangar starts, almost jumps to his feet, but then quickly pulls on his boots with a sheepish look.  He checks that his axe is still slung, and takes up his spear and shield, exploding from his seat and hurling himself headlong towards the orcs, a bellow of defiance and rage booming from deep in his chest.


OOC:  Not sure if Berangar would still be wearing his armor from traveling?  If there is an opening volley, he'll likely cast his spear and switch to his axe for close combat.

Loremaster
 GM, 111 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Mon 8 Sep 2014
at 10:52
Re: 000-Berangar (introduction)
As you cry out, and move to meet the incoming enemies, you scan the battlefield.

OOC: for me, seeing the harsh world of the Wilderland, people like you keep their armor, especially leather, pretty often. So it is fine for me.
Can you roll for Awareness at TN14 (and for Battle if you wish, TN14)?

Berangar
 player, 3 posts
Mon 8 Sep 2014
at 13:47
Re: 000-Berangar (introduction)
Berangar feels the rush of fury common to the northmen as he charges into the battle.  Thus far, a furious onslaught had been served him.  One day, he thought, I'll ought to learn to embrace tactics in battle.  That gave him pause long enough to sweep his eyes across the clearing, trying to get the lay of the battlefield.

OOC:

9:38, Today: Berangar rolled a total of 8 (6 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 2 (Feat Die), 4, 2. Awareness.

I just realized, I don't know if it's day or night.  Maybe night, given the presence of the campfire?  I mention, because Berangar's Brother to Bears virtue would change his Awareness test to a 15 and a success if it is nighttime.

No Battle roll -- I doubt I'll make one until I can raise the skill from its current rating of 0, and I'm as likely to get an Eye as succeed. 

Loremaster
 GM, 112 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Mon 8 Sep 2014
at 14:39
Re: 000-Berangar (introduction)
In the dusk of the early night that had just fallen, Berangar's senses were starting to become finer in the dark, and he sensed the general movement of the enemy, illuminated by the fires:  there were close to a score of Orcs, breaking up into several groups, one coming straight for the center campfire, made up of half a dozen Orcs.
Berangar
 player, 4 posts
Mon 8 Sep 2014
at 17:35
Re: 000-Berangar (introduction)
Berangar leaps the fire, putting himself between it and the orcs so they will have to face the bright flames to fight him.  To his understanding, orcs hated light in their eyes.  "Dogs!" he bellowed, "you come to your deaths here!"

OOC:  Time for opening volley?  Seems like they are close enough? 
Loremaster
 GM, 115 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 06:12
Re: 000-Berangar (introduction)
Berangar grips his spear, and decides which foe to pick among the half a dozen coming at him - seems there is a leader among them.
Berangar
 player, 5 posts
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 14:06
Re: 000-Berangar (introduction)
In reply to Loremaster (msg # 9):

Berangar pitches his spear at the foremost orc in the group, hoping perhaps to demoralize all who follow should they see him fall.  His plan backfires, however, as his throw falls short, the head of his spear digging into the ground before the feet of the first orc in the group.  He grimaces and sweeps up his axe, readying himself for their onslaught.
Loremaster
 GM, 119 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 20:37
Re: 000-Berangar (introduction)
Berangar sees an arrow impact one of the blade wielding Orcs coming at him, while another comes flying straight at the Orc you were going to throw you spear at... but the Orc leaps in the air, spinning on itself in a fast and deft move, totally avoiding the arrow.
Thrown by this show of dexterity, you miss with your spear.
You take place in front of the fire, and ready yourself.
You see a Man running towards you to help fend off the Orcs.

OOC:  moving to the main thread now (posted some info' for you there too)

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:20, Wed 10 Sept 2014.