002-The Lost Hobbit (1st adventure)   Posted by Loremaster.Group: archive 0
Andwise Rumble
 player, 154 posts
Thu 29 Jan 2015
at 11:06
Re: 002-The Lost Hobbit (1st adventure)
Andwise, turning slightly red with embarassment, looks around to make sure Donidas isn't about.
"Come dear Mistress Brandybuck lets not get to emotional. I understand that the abduction of El is upsetting and will I hope be resolved soon"

He smiles and disentangles himself from the hug, "Shalronel and Brandoin meant no insult. The precious gem was offered as a gift, nothing more. And the Dwarf was not accusing you of harbouring some sense of Igwar's guilt over losses from the caravan. They were merely making offers of gifts and future aid if required."

Again he smiles but this time due to having noticed a rather large plate of scones fresh from the oven, "Soon we must leave on further business, but none of us would wish to depart on bad terms. If no one takes any offered payment for finding and returning Dindy and the rest safely to the bosom of his family, do not see it as an insult, merely that the pleasure of seeing the lost returned safely as payment enough"

Again his attention is slightly diverted by the still steaming scones, My those look good...good enough to eat with maybe a little honey an cream.

With a shake of his head he focuses on the still sobbing Agatha. Gallantly he produces a silk kerchief from his pocket and hands it to her, "Now dry your eyes dear lady, I cannot speak for the others, though they seem to be of the same mind, I will do all in my power to find the child and see justice for the foul murder of Milo Roper. You have my word, and the word of a Rumble is not to be taken l;ightly"
Bes, child of Balin
 player, 196 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Thu 29 Jan 2015
at 20:20
Re: 002-The Lost Hobbit (1st adventure)
"I cannot help but feel responsible for the boy's abduction. Would that I could recall any news," Bés mutters darkly to herself. "or hint of same that might allow us to head Shanker off from whatever mischief he's bent on ere it takes an even more tragic turn."



15:12, Today: Bes, child of Balin rolled a total of 5 (2 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 2 (Feat Die), 3. Discern Shanker's Possible Objective (Insight).
Berangar
 player, 148 posts
Fri 30 Jan 2015
at 04:00
Re: 002-The Lost Hobbit (1st adventure)
Berangar, clearly agonizing over the decision of which way to take, asks Frier, "Which way did they go, tracking Shanker?" 
Loremaster
 GM, 556 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Fri 30 Jan 2015
at 07:18
Re: 002-The Lost Hobbit (1st adventure)
As Bés feels bad about not recalling having seen much in Shanker - not even being sure there was much to see, but, then, why would he do such things as abduction and murder -, Berangar is trying to find out where the Woodmen went to track Shanker.
Frier
 NPC, 8 posts
 Dwarf
 Tinker-smith
Fri 30 Jan 2015
at 07:21
Re: 002-The Lost Hobbit (1st adventure)
"They all started from the poor Hobbit was slain by the fishing hole, and started tracking East, following this Shanker's traces.  The idea was for them to split up in three groups if need by, to pursue and lead they had, in case the man had tried to cover his paths with false-tracks.  He does not seem one to know the Forest that well, so the Woodmen should be able to catch their quarry".
Loremaster
 GM, 557 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Fri 30 Jan 2015
at 07:23
Re: 002-The Lost Hobbit (1st adventure)
Having had his powerful talk with Agatha in the kitchen, Andwise exits - wiping buttered crumbs from his lips - with Agatha in tow.
Bern Asheye
 player, 177 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Fri 30 Jan 2015
at 07:27
Re: 002-The Lost Hobbit (1st adventure)
Bern lower his head nodding at the words of his compatriots. "It pain my heart to admit it but noble Berangar is correct. We will give no substantial aid nor solace to the searching parties. Sometimes the hardest thing to do is to know when you can not offer aid and accept that."

He sighs deeply "I think we should go and pay our last respects to Iwgar, the fate of young El is not in our hands."

Agatha Brandybuck
 NPC, 6 posts
 Took-born
 Inn manager
Fri 30 Jan 2015
at 07:30
Re: 002-The Lost Hobbit (1st adventure)
Agatha, cheeks flushed, bows deep: "I am sorry, Master Brandywoin, it felt as though you were saying that I accused Iwgar of being guilty for losing our goods, when I feel so happy for his having saved Dindy.  I will go to apologize to the fair Elf too.  I do not know what came over me, but ever since I greeted that Shanker who abducted that little baby, I've been feeling somber, like a bread whose leaven never raised."

She will then go up to Shalronel's room, knocking to see if she may enter:  "I wish to ask for your forgiveness, and say that it was a noble gesture you made, but, though we cannot accept it, I was foolish in feeling anger."
Shalronel
 player, 212 posts
Fri 30 Jan 2015
at 07:44
Re: 002-The Lost Hobbit (1st adventure)
Shalronel answers her door, "Well, I guess that is ok, thank you for apologizing." she says, not really sure what to think of the apology but willing to forget about it.
Brandoin Ravenbeard
 player, 56 posts
 Dwarven Trader
 And Scout
Fri 30 Jan 2015
at 12:53
Re: 002-The Lost Hobbit (1st adventure)
Brandoin nodded to Bern's statement "Though it pains me as well, I think ye have the right o' it. Yet have heart friend Bern... stranger things have happened and we may yet be o' help in some way."

When the hobbit mistress spoke, the dwarf nodded his thanks to both her and his new companion Andwise. For no doubt the later had somehow reached the woman when no one else could have. Berangar was right after all. We who face the Shadow must stick together or fall separately.

"Mistress I must say it troubles me to think I caused ye any pain. I too apologize as well n' hope ye know that if I may ever help ye in any way, ye just need to ask. I'll take that payment if'n ye want me to take it. Mistress I am at your service and your family's."

He then bowed low. Once outside the dwarf gave his share of the payment to the Breelanders yet told them to keep that to themselves as he did not want to stress Agatha anymore.
Bes, child of Balin
 player, 199 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Fri 30 Jan 2015
at 16:49
Re: 002-The Lost Hobbit (1st adventure)
Bés accepts the proffered letter, but returns the coin to Agatha. "Please accept my share as a gift and reinvest it in the Inn, that you may prosper all the sooner here over the edge of the wild."
Andwise Rumble
 player, 157 posts
Fri 30 Jan 2015
at 18:08
Re: 002-The Lost Hobbit (1st adventure)
Still brushing crumbs from his jacket, Andwise follows the stern dwarf Bes outside, "Do not feel bad about Shanker, we were all equaly fooled. We may as yet cross paths with him at some point and hold him to account for his misdeeds"
Loremaster
 GM, 564 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Sat 31 Jan 2015
at 07:07
Re: 002-The Lost Hobbit (1st adventure)
Having rested and feasted (more feasting than resting for some, for one?) and also felt torn between setting out after Shanker and baby El, and going back to see Iwgar off, the next day, in the morning, it is time to go since you feel that setting out after the Woodmen would be pointless.  And so, although you are happy at having saved Dindy and the caravan, your hearts are slightly somber as you set off for Beorn's Halls once again.

Though it is early morning, Agatha is there to see you off - seeming somber herself -, with Dody standing a bit behind, helping Dindy, who has come to bid you farewell too - he seems a bit better, very tired and distraught, but not totally lost anymore.

"Thank you, faithful fellows, for having saved Master Brandybuck and our caravan", says Agatha.

Dindy bows deep to you:  "I will have to return to the West of those Misty-hills next year to purchase replacements for what as lost.  If any of you wish to travel with me and those warriors from Bree, we would be happy to have you as caravan guards and guides.  Fare the well!"

Walking past the bridge, you hear some noise in the woods…  and see the three young Bree-landers, already busy chopping branches down along the path:  Agatha is making them work for their room and board!
They smile and wave to you, as you start out on your trek south - giving Brandoin an extra wink, thanking him for sharing his pay with them.

Bés walks ahead, guiding you, still wondering about Shanker and his motivations and what might have happened to him between your meeting and his abduction.

Berangar follows, always casting glances over his shoulder, wondering where the Woodmen are at, if they found Shanker's trail.

Bern and Brandoin march on, talking about what has happened, and about what to expect at Iwgar's funeral, how the Beorning's will honor their man.

Andwise trots along, thinking of Milo Roper, wondering if he should have asked to see the body, thinking that he could have at least inquired as to what was going to happen with the Hobbit he had traveled East with.  Was he to be buried here, his body taken back to the Shire?  What about his family?

Shalronel takes up the rear, bow in hand, scanning the landscape, and making sure no one is following them, wary even though these lands are deemed safe.  She is happy the Hobbit-lady came back to apologize, but she wonders at what happened there, for it did seem out of character for the Inn-keeper who had been so merry and upbeat when seen the first time.

You trek down South, to Beorn's Hall, mainly lost in your thoughts, talking about the latest events.

Arriving at the Beornings' master's Hall, you see many Beornings camping all around it, with many tents and fires.
Though the place is filled with envoys from various places - you see heavily fur-clad men from the mountains - Ennalda spots you and leads you to the same rooms you had both times, and that you are getting used to.

"Welcome back, last fellows of Iwgar.  We leave the day after tomorrow, at dawn, for the Carrock.  You are all invited to attend, of course.  And, after, Beorn will speak to you of the tidings brought by the feathered friend of Erebor."

OOC:  just tell me if you wish to do anything before we move to Iwgar's ceremony.
Brandoin Ravenbeard
 player, 57 posts
 Dwarven Trader
 And Scout
Sat 31 Jan 2015
at 18:22
Re: 002-The Lost Hobbit (1st adventure)
Brandoin marched on along side of the man from Dale. He knew the man had been torn berween going to Beorn's Hall and taking after Shanker. It was indeed a hard choice but somehow he knew all things had a tendency to work themselves out The dwarf noticed the warriors spear and cleared his throat.

"Friend Bern? When we arrive at the Beorning's steadings mayhaps ye'll let me or Master Bes look to your spear. I would be honored ta help ye out if I may. Tis gud we'll be among the Beornings during this time. Iwgar twas a good man n' brave ta boot."

Once they arrived at the Beorning's lands the dwarf was solemn once more. He was tuely saddened by Iwgar's death. He bowed low when addressed and stated simply.

"It would be ah honor ta meet such ah man as Beorn. I Thank ye for yer hospitality and fer allow'n us ta pay our respect ta Iwgar. If I may be of service while in yer lands ye need but ask n' it shall be done."
Bern Asheye
 player, 180 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Sun 1 Feb 2015
at 20:49
Re: 002-The Lost Hobbit (1st adventure)
Bern slows his step as he turn his ash gaze at the dwarf, a few moment pass and the Dale man seem to be lost of words. Finally he bows deeply "Master Ravenbeard, it would be my utmost honor that you will examine my spear. It has been cracked when I jam it up that stone troll skull. I fear it is in dire need of reforging."
Loremaster
 GM, 568 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Mon 2 Feb 2015
at 18:50
Re: 002-The Lost Hobbit (1st adventure)

Ennalda greets you as you arrive outside Beorn's house, where many Beornings are camped.

She leads you past the belt of oak-trees surrounding the Beornings' Master's stead, up to the gate in the thorn hedge that leads into the farmstead itself.

As she told you, you remain there for the evening and the night, sleeping in the same rooms used before, in the Guest-rooms just to the left of the Main-hall.
The next day you are free to move around the place, and you see many people are present, and you can look around and see some of the wondrous animals that work the land - horses tilling the land, dogs prowling around and ripping up weeds…
You explore the place, and mingle to talk with the Beornings and Ennalda during the day and the evening.
Beorn, however, is absent.

You spend another night, and then, before dawn, you rise and leave with all the Beornings, in silence, heading out west of the Hall, towards the River Anduin.

Beorn's Stead

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:51, Mon 02 Feb 2015.

Andwise Rumble
 player, 159 posts
Mon 2 Feb 2015
at 19:09
Re: 002-The Lost Hobbit (1st adventure)
Andwise, as befits the situation, is wearing his best scarlet jacket, gold brocade waistcoat and finest knee britches. Around his waist is strapped his sword 'Spite', a cord tied loosley around its hilt and crossguard as if fixing it to its scabbard, a mark of respect for a fallen warrior. He walks deep in thought, his mind replaying the events of that night in the old fort.
A solitary tear flows freely down his cheek, are all victories won at such a cost? he wonders. Perhaps so, after all did not Thorin Oakenshield die thus. He looks towards the solemn dwarves and thinks, was Master Ravenbeard not of the same Eribor stock from which that doughty warrior had issued?
Loremaster
 GM, 571 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Mon 2 Feb 2015
at 19:15
Re: 002-The Lost Hobbit (1st adventure)

The Carrock

You move West, in silence, as dew lies heavy on the tall grass, Ennalda close to you, up front, with a few Beornings before you - men and women, and some young ones - and most of the others behind you, maybe two dozen, all men.

The sun starts to rise at your back as you near the might Anduin, rolling from the North down to a faraway South you can only imagine, and the dawn's rays illuminate a huge rock that sits in the middle of the Anduin.

The Carrock, you think, knowing what this is.
The river flows around it on both sides, but the Beornings lead you to a series of huge stepping stones leading to it from the muddy Eastern shore.
You pass over this ford, and come to a small shallow cave, beside which a worn set of steps leads up.

Still in silence, you climb the winding stairs clinging to the rock's side, and, doing so, you feel the power emanating from within, from deep within.
Bés and Brandoin know that the roots of the Misty Mountains break through the mantle of the soil here, that this is an ancient spur of the Mighty Mountains.
And Shalronel senses that this place is one of the old powers of the world, the wild nameless wilderness that existed before even the eldest of her kin awoke in days of old.
You all feel that this rock is somehow…  alive.

On top, you gather around the funeral pyre that has been erected, and on which the fur-wrapped corpse of Iwgar lies, with his weapons upon his chest.

Beorn was there, alone, waiting for all.

The family that walked before you gathers around him, and it is the youngest who later lights the pyre.
Iwgar's next of kin.

You follow the funeral, in the center of the Beorning's who fill the top, the flat surface high above the Vales.

Beorn's booming voice talks of Iwgar, one his oldest Thain's, and his travels, from one Sea to another, and how he was the Beorning's main ambassador.  He talks of Iwgar's end, and how he faced the Orcs and Goblins with representatives of all the Free Peoples.
And all eyes go respectfully to you.

As the fire burns, consuming the man's corpse, and all look on, with the morning sun burning bright - an Eagle, a mighty Eagle circles above.

Beorn tosses the shell iwgar wore into the flames, and leaves…  and then all throw something - flower, sculpture, knife… - into the flames, and leave too, heading back to the Hall.

Beorn

This message was last updated by the GM at 19:26, Mon 02 Feb 2015.

Loremaster
 GM, 572 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Mon 2 Feb 2015
at 19:19
Re: 002-The Lost Hobbit (1st adventure)
Later, towards midday, you all enter the Master-hall of Beorn, one small Hobbit in scarlet and gold amidst this crowd of tall men, with the two Dwarves, and the silence that mainly ruled now breaks, and food and mead is served to all, who start to exchange stories of Iwgar, of the past and the future…

You spend the day and the night in the wake, within the Hall, celebrating Iwgar's steadfast life.

OOC:  feel free to post, as Andwise did, if you wish - for the Funeral as for the Wake


This message was last edited by the GM at 19:32, Mon 02 Feb 2015.

Brandoin Ravenbeard
 player, 59 posts
 Dwarven Trader
 And Scout
Tue 3 Feb 2015
at 05:33
Re: 002-The Lost Hobbit (1st adventure)
Brandoin nodded to Bern.

"Then I shall. I would be honored friend Bern."

On the day of the ceremony, Brandoin remained quiet and as solemn as the previous day. He had not known Iwgar very long but it did not take over long to know the mettle of the Beorning that had fallen at the Ring Fort. So he spent the day admiring the land around him, especially when they reached the stone of Carrock! The dwarf could feel the power and strength of it. And so he drew strength from the stone and from his new found fellowship. When those spoke about Iwgar he merely nodded but did tell of Iwgar's valiant stand at the Ring Fort and how he had, though wounded, lead the caravan to that place thus saving their lives. When the pyre was lit and those threw items into it, the dwarf drew his own short sword and placed it into the fire.

"Good steel for a better man! Fare thee well Beorning. May you find peace wherever your spirit wanders now."

Back at Beorn's Hall, Brandoin celebrated with the others. He toasted Iwgar's name and life. Yet, most of all he remained quiet. He thanked his hosts for their hospitality and did his best to respect them one and all.
Bes, child of Balin
 player, 202 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Tue 3 Feb 2015
at 20:48
Re: 002-The Lost Hobbit (1st adventure)
As Beorn and his people leave their parting gifts in the pyre bearing Iwgar's ashes skyward, Bés raises her deep voice in song:

    "Far away, o'er Misty Mountains cold,
    Leave us standing here upon the heights.
    What you heard once, you have heard once more;
    Thundr'ing ocean, as your soul takes flight.

    Rolling wave-song whispers 'neath the moon.
    The words unspoken, you shall be there soon.
    Far from home now, this song to lead you on.
    Absolve this singer, who can grant no greater boon.

    Spirit soars now, o'er Misty Mountains cold,
    Your passage swifter than dreams that remain unshared.
    We must 'wake now, our mortal lives to tend,
    But 'gainst the darkness, your torch we shall ever bear."

Shalronel
 player, 214 posts
Wed 4 Feb 2015
at 03:16
Re: 002-The Lost Hobbit (1st adventure)
Shalronel watches the proceedings with reverence, fearing to insult the man this is honoring however, she stays at the sides of the gathering.
Loremaster
 GM, 581 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Wed 4 Feb 2015
at 08:24
Re: 002-The Lost Hobbit (1st adventure)
Back in the Hall, celebrating Iwgar's steadfast life, you all see the respect in the eyes of the Beornings.

Andwise, feeling a little smaller in this high hall filled with tall Men, stands out with his fine scarlet jacket and gold waistcoat, but he feels the warm looks of those who are touched by his obvious choice of clothes to pay his respects to Iwgar.
Also, many a fighter spots the cord tying the sword to the scabbard, and nod their approval.

Being seen as heartier stock by the Beronings, the Dwarves Brandoin and Bés received many a clap on the back.
People bowing to Brandoin, gesturing their thanks for his having donated a sword to accompany Iwgar on his travels.
People bowing to Bés, mumbling about "Thundr'ing ocean"s, which seems to have become Iwgar's new nickname.  It is obvious the people in the Hall do more than absolve this singer, rather their thank her.

As for Shalronel, her detachment and reverence are seen as respect, and no insult whatsoever is felt as coming from her.

You all wonder, as Andwise did, about victories being won at such a costs...
Berangar
 player, 150 posts
Thu 5 Feb 2015
at 21:05
Re: 002-The Lost Hobbit (1st adventure)
Berangar follows the customs of his folk throughout the ceremony.  He does speak with Iwgar's kin, telling them of his first meeting with Iwgar as a child, how the man inspired him to start his own traveling; the times he saw the far-traveler, and the last words he spoke with him.

When they return to the hall, Berangar celebrates boisterously, Iwgar's life and passions.
Loremaster
 GM, 596 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Thu 5 Feb 2015
at 22:34
Re: 002-The Lost Hobbit (1st adventure)
Ennalda is one of the people who celebrates boisterously with Berangar, and, at one moment, you do hear her let slip something about how, if Iwgar inspired you, and you pay respects to his life, you might be soon pursuing his endeavors and travels…  though you do not pick up on it right away, it remains in your mind.

OOC:  more about that later