004a-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)   Posted by Loremaster.Group: 0
Loremaster
 GM, 1356 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 09:50
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
As the day turns to night, and the sun moves away from the rocky corridor you are in, you decide to camp here, feeling you can either move back towards the Greydelve or the small circus outside, or else push further on, and exit this rocky pass and escape into the open ground... you have not explored.

Thus you spend the night, warming yourself beside a small fire, and resting, removing some armor, eating, sleeping...  and you spend half of the next day there too.

The battered fighters are, for the most part, healed and rested - Kemendil, Shalronel, Berangar and Bern are all fully back to their prime.
Even Bès, who Kemendil tended to, deciding not to go up and explore the Evil Den, so, even Bès, is pretty much healed.
Only Andwise, wounded, does not recuperate that much, and still feels his bones ache.

OOC:  all at full - Bés @ 29 END - Andwise @ 16 END

That evening, and then the next day, all but Kemendil, and Shalronel and Ulfaar, explore the gruesome spider lair.
Kemendil remained tending to Bés, and Shalronel and Ulfaar went ahead, to scout what lies outside the rocky pass.

The others climbed up - even Bés, in the afternoon of the next day - and explored the dark place.
The feeling of Shadow was strong in the place, and it was as though all the items permeated with this black feeling...  but, once you removed whatever you found to the sun and the green grass, these thoughts vanished.
You spent some time looking at and showing to the others what you have removed from the spoils.

OOC: Andwise, Bés, Dinaethion and Berangar all receive one small valuable item, of your choice (intricate wooden gold inlaid box ; beautiful cloak ; bag of gems ; statue...) that weights 1 END and is worth 20 TP.
Note:  that is correct?  Kemendil passed on searching - and Ulfaar and Shalronel are gone for now


Bern

Bés spent the night and half of the next day, lost in slumber, before waking up all of a sudden, groping for her weapon and calling out to beware of the spider... before realizing the fight was over.
She seemed to be totally back and not feel sluggish anymore.  The poison was out of her system.
Thus, after you told her what had happened - and she gave some insight into what Monster you fought:  "This was one creature of Great Evil.  A true Shadow Enemy.  I know not its name, for there are several, and I believed most to reside within Mirkwood - though the dark forest is close by...  But I am sure that was a spawn of Shelob the Great, who is the last living child of Ungoliant, the weaver of darkness, ancient evil in spider-form, from even before the Enemy.  Thus it is a grand blow that we have wrought...".
This raises your spirits.

OOC:  added 1 Hope to the Fellowship pool

Bés also looks at the old Dwarven Hauberk, recognizing it as being of Erebor-make, from a long dead captain of her folk.

OOC:  this is your Reward (and can, of course, have the story you wish, if you want more)

As for Bern, you see that he came back down holding a helm.
This object he found at the very center of the nest where the Great Spider must have slept and waited for her prey.
Yet, though it was at the heart of such Shadow, you feel no darkness coming from it.

OOC:  all those Shadow rolls, and not one failed!

The headpiece seems to be made of spider webs and...  ivy.
But, when raising it up to the sun, and looking closely at it, you are all in awe, for the webs look delicate and beautiful, and the ivy alive and vibrant, although it is actually carved from some fine wood, so delicately that it appears to be real.
The ivy is actually woven around the base of the helm, so as to look like some woodland crown.
It is obviously of Elven-make, but, though you do not know much, you imagine it is not from Mirkwood.  Dinaethion tells you it is from the Golden Wood, also named Lothlórien.

When Bern tries it on, he feels it is incredibly light...  yet he is sure, somehow, that It fits so closely, and is made with such cunning, that it will resist the harshest of blows.  When you remove it, it is as though you never wore anything heavy on your head...  you admire its beauty, and usefulness.

OOC:  Elven Helm - Armour +7   ENC 3  (instead of +4 ENC 6 for a normal helm), so, you add a flat 7 to you Protection rolls
If you remove it in combat, you lower your Fatigue by 3 points (removing all the ENC it gave in the first place).
This is what you know so far.


Ulfaar and Shalronel return, telling you they saw no Orcs, and that you are West and South of where you entered the Greydelve, close to the Mirkwood to the South, and the Upper Anduin Vales not far to the West.

You look at one another, to decide if you wish to spend one more night resting here, since it is late afternoon, and then set out the next morning at dawn... or leave right now.
And, do you head for Beorn's stead?
Andwise Rumble
 player, 402 posts
Wed 13 Apr 2016
at 16:20
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
Andwise looks up from the intricately carved box which he had uncovered amongst the spiders hoard. Whether it had any value or not it was, to the Hobbits eyes, something that might look good on a windowsill or mantle, possibly filled with pipeweed for the consumption of guests.
"It is a most comely looking piece of armour, and suits your noble visage most admirably friend Bern" he was, of course, refering to the delicately made helm which the bowman had discovered above.

Carefuly placing the box inside his pack the Hobbit produced his pipe, filled it with Longbottom Leaf and began the Shire ritual of pipesmoking. Between puffs he nodded towards the distance, "Well I'm for staying one more night, before we move on refreshed"
Bes, child of Balin
 player, 427 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Wed 13 Apr 2016
at 17:47
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
Bés voices her agreement with the Hobbit. "Aye, best we begin our journey after a night's rest," she rumbles lowly. "'Twould however be unwise to risk a fire, like as not."



OOC: The hauberk comes with a story? Oooh, story-time with Uncle Loremaster! ^_^
Loremaster
 GM, 1362 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Thu 14 Apr 2016
at 06:59
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
The next day, after another night's rest, where all now feel refreshed, except for Andwise - who does feel better, little by little - who does change his bandages and tends to his wound...

OOC:  after this second day and night of full rest, all are at full END, except for Andwise, who needs to let his wound heal, and is at 18 END now

...so, the next day, at dawn, you head out, and see that you are indeed just South-West of the Greydelve, and so you spend three days walking back to Frár's hideout through this hard terrain.  You take it very slowly, being extremely careful to not be spotted by any Orcs or such that might have exited the Delve...  thus you reach Frár's place in the evening of the third day, and approach it carefully.

But it is empty... this pitiful series of small caves, with old ramshackle furniture.  Quite pathetic...  but better than where these crazed dwarves might be now.  Though you feel sad that Brandoin Ravenbeard is with them.  What is happening...

Anyhow, you gather Peony and Marigold, your ponies, and, after spending the night there, set off towards the South, headed for Beorn's stead.
Your plan is to swing first to the South-West, moving between the Forest and the Hills, in the Grey Mountain Narrows and the wildlands, until you reach the river Anduin, and then, to head due South, in the Border Lands, through the East Upper Vales... and make a stop near the Forest Gate, probably going to the Inn from there, but Shalronel and Ulfaar talk of maybe leaving for their respective homelands at that point.

So, you first move through the tall grass, easier going now, just South of the hills, until you reach the River.
The journey takes another three days.

Then, after camping, you head on South, with the vast river to your right hand, to the West, following the bank rather closely... and have been traveling for about ten miles per day, weaving in and out of the low hills, and finding your way, thus on the evening of the second day you are some twenty miles along your river-side trek.

OOC:  Andwise cannot rest during the trip.
Each companion must make 1 Fatigue test at TN 16, and 2 Fatigue tests at TN 14.
If Bés and/or Bern wish, you can make a Lore check - or as someone for help and have them do one - re. your finding, the Hauberk and the Helm - FYI the Hauberk Bés got is her Reward from raising Valour that we kept for an IC RP moment


This message was last edited by the GM at 04:50, Mon 18 Apr 2016.

Bes, child of Balin
 player, 428 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Thu 14 Apr 2016
at 20:34
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
As they depart Frár's hideout, Bés remarks to no one in particular, "A pity we've not time to copy Frár's maps. They'd prove invaluable if ever a concerted effort were made to drive the Orcs from the Greydelve." She shoulders her pack and sets the company a brisk pace for the next several days.



16:18, Today: Bes, child of Balin rolled a total of 15 (11 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 16 with rolls of 7 (Feat Die), 4, 2, 2.  Fatigue Test 1 (Travel). +4 for Stiff Neck makes this 19 and an ordinary success.

16:18, Today: Bes, child of Balin rolled a total of 20: a success with the Gandalf Rune using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 12 (Feat Die), 5, 1, 2.  Fatigue Test 2 (Travel). +4 for Stiff Neck makes this 24 and an ordinary success.

16:19, Today: Bes, child of Balin rolled a total of 14 (12 if weary): a great success (failure if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 2 (Feat Die), 2, 4, 6.  Fatigue Test 3 (Travel). +4 for Stiff Neck makes this 18 and a great success.

16:20, Today: Bes, child of Balin rolled a total of 13 (11 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 5 (Feat Die), 2, 6.  Hauberk's Story? (Lore). +4 for Stiff Neck makes this 17 and a great success.

Dinaethion
 player, 28 posts
 High-elf scholar,
 artificer & smith
Fri 15 Apr 2016
at 18:56
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
14:53, Today: Dinaethion rolled a total of 22: an extraordinary success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 16 with rolls of 4 (Feat Die), 6, 6, 6.  Fatigue test.

14:53, Today: Dinaethion rolled a total of 11 (10 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 1 (Feat Die), 1, 4, 5.  Fatigue test.

14:53, Today: Dinaethion rolled a total of 11 (9 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 5 (Feat Die), 1, 4, 1.  Fatigue test.
Andwise Rumble
 player, 403 posts
Fri 15 Apr 2016
at 19:15
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
20:11, Today: Andwise Rumble rolled a total of 8 (3 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 16 with rolls of 3 (Feat Die), 2, 3.  Fatigue test (travel).
20:11, Today: Andwise Rumble rolled a total of 12 (11 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 6 (Feat Die), 5, 1.  Fatigue test (travel).
20:11, Today: Andwise Rumble rolled a total of 11 (11 if weary): a failure with the Eye of Sauron (complications) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 11 (Feat Die), 6, 5.  Fatigue test (travel). Bad to worse:0

Bes, child of Balin
 player, 430 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Fri 15 Apr 2016
at 20:14
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
Andwise Rumble:
Bad to worse:0

Wow, you aren't kidding!
Bern Asheye
 player, 388 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Fri 15 Apr 2016
at 21:23
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
"It is indeed a marvelous item... the craftsmanship is exquisite..." Bern speaks in a soft voice as he admire the helm as he hold it gently in his hands.

Turning to the high elf he shows him the helm "Please master Dinaethion do you know anything of its make?"


OOC:

00:18, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 12 (9 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 9 (Feat Die), 3.  Lore on Helm.
00:17, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 14: a success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 5 (Feat Die), 4, 5.  Fatigue test 3.
00:17, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 15: a great success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 5 (Feat Die), 4, 6.
00:17, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 9 (5 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 16 with rolls of 5 (Feat Die), 3, 1.  Fatigue test 1.

I've rolled Lore got a 12 pretty sure its not enough but Bern has Old Lore, would it give some information?


Kemendil
 player, 98 posts
Sat 16 Apr 2016
at 14:45
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
20:15, Today: Kemendil rolled a total of 22: an extraordinary success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 5 (Feat Die), 2, 6, 3, 6.
20:15, Today: Kemendil rolled a total of 20: a great success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 4 (Feat Die), 6, 5, 1, 4.
20:15, Today: Kemendil rolled a total of 16 (13 if weary): a great success (failure if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 16 with rolls of 2 (Feat Die), 2, 5, 1, 6.  Travel.

Dinaethion
 player, 29 posts
 High-elf scholar,
 artificer & smith
Sat 16 Apr 2016
at 19:02
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
"It is in the style of Lothlórien, of that much I am certain," the Noldo tells Bern. "I can examine it more fully when next we camp, should you so desire."



14:52, Today: Dinaethion rolled a total of 13 (10 if weary): a failure with the Eye of Sauron (complications) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 11 (Feat Die), 6, 3, 4.  Lore to assess Bern's helm. This would be a great success were I to spend Hope, which is worth doing to offset the Eye even just a smidge.
Berangar
 player, 431 posts
Mon 18 Apr 2016
at 03:35
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
Berangar fingered the silver pendant he'd found in the spider's lair, traveling along with the others.  He was uncharacteristically quiet and contemplative as the companions traveled back south.


OOC:

23:24, Today: Berangar rolled a total of 10 (10 if weary): a failure with the Eye of Sauron (complications) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 11 (Feat Die), 4, 6.  Travel Test 3.

23:23, Today: Berangar rolled a total of 8 (7 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 3 (Feat Die), 4, 1.  Travel Test 2.

23:05, Today: Berangar rolled a total of 17 (15 if weary): a great success (failure if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 16 with rolls of 9 (Feat Die), 6, 2.  Fatigue Test 1.

Spending a point of Hope will make the last roll succeed, so only miss the second one.

Loremaster
 GM, 1367 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Mon 18 Apr 2016
at 05:34
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
Bés managed to plow through the hills around the Greydelve, urging herself on with a stubborn resolve, somewhat grim...

Kemendil, Berangar and Dinaethion moved with ease through the hills, happy to be out of the tunnels, and the High Elf was so very light footed now that he had left the Dark Shadow of the Delve, that he helped poor Andwise along, avoiding Fatigue for the hapless Halfling, who was tired from his wound, and unable to travel with ease.

Bern too was tired, after his fight, and did not do well traveling through the Hills.

OOC:  Dinaethion's Extraordinary Success cancels Andwise's failure.  Bern gets 2 Fatigue.

Once they reached the Anduin, traveling with their ponies now, although the land was easier to manage, the toil of the weeks of exploring paid its price: Berangar and Dinaethion, so at ease before, now trudged along, and the Elf could no longer help Andwise, who was still as tired...  though Berangar did call upon his inner reserves to get some spring back into his pace, towards the end, as you were approaching the lands of Beorn.

Kemendil traveled with ease along the Great River, and it was he, now who helped Andwise along, especially towards the end.

Luckily you had the ponies to carry the packs, and thus the weariness was less acute.

Bern, on the other hand, just moved along fine, just as Bés did, traveled nicely and easily once the Fellowship reached the River Anduin.

OOC:  Dinaethion 2 Fatigue, Andwise 1 Fatigue, Berangar 1 Fatigue - spent 1 point of Hope

On the bright side of things, Andwise's wound, though it took a while, since it was hard for him to rest while traveling, did manage to fully heal up after a week and a half, thus, he was no longer hindered.

As you traveled South, Shalronel talked of her plan to accompany you a bit, until safe in the Anduin Vales, and then to head East, into Mirkwood, and toward the woodland realm, to bring new of the Greydelve and Orcs and Frár, to her Queen... and King.  Thus, you would soon no longer have a Scout - for the moment, Dinaethion stepped up to replace her.
Ulfaar talked of joining Shalronel, so he could move into the Woods with her, and then travel South to meet up with his woodsmen folk, and tell them what had happened to the ill-fated caravan he was in, and to see his family and kin again.

OOC:  since Shalronel's player said he was probably leaving, and has been a month without logging in, I'll move the Woodelf out of the thread for now ; and probably do the same with Ulfaar - said he was away for a week, has not posted in more than two, although being logged in a coupe times (I do not mind per so, it's just how it blocks people if we need rolls or decisions, to move on)

As your Fellowship moves along the great river Anduin - to your right side as you travel South - you are still keeping your eyes peeled for anything amiss, and Bés is still making sure you do no stray from the path...

OOC:  Andwise, Bern and Kemendil can all make a TN 14 Awareness Roll, and Bés can make a TN 14 Travel roll

Note:  will deal with the Lore on the Hauberk and Helm rolls in a bit, sorry...


WILL BE CREATING A NEW THREAD SOON HERE

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:36, Mon 18 Apr 2016.

Andwise Rumble
 player, 404 posts
Mon 18 Apr 2016
at 08:42
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
OOC here is Andwise's awareness role, hopefully it made it here just in time
09:37, Today: Andwise Rumble rolled a total of 16: a great success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 5 (Feat Die), 5, 6.  Awareness.
Kemendil
 player, 99 posts
Mon 18 Apr 2016
at 12:34
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
Kemendil rolled a total of 26: a great success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 8 (Feat Die), 5, 6, 4, 3.  Awareness.
Bes, child of Balin
 player, 433 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Mon 18 Apr 2016
at 18:29
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
14:28, Today: Bes, child of Balin rolled a total of 23: a success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 10 (Feat Die), 5, 4, 4.  Travel Test. +4 for Stiff Neck makes that 27, but still just an ordinary success.
Bern Asheye
 player, 389 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Mon 18 Apr 2016
at 19:24
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
OOC:
22:23, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 13 (13 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 4 (Feat Die), 5, 4.  Awareness.

Loremaster
 GM, 1372 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Mon 18 Apr 2016
at 20:49
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
Your travels took you past the Mouth of Dust again, the giant standing stone with its runes, and down the East side of the Anduin...


...your thus moving down the East side of the White Anduin, in this grim wold of scrub trees and rocky soil.
You are now a couple days north of the Elf Wood, the small forest that is before the Forest Gate.
It is in the late afternoon, and, since you are in a rocky part, where there is no true path, you start to stray from your course, when Bés reorients you, and gets you back on track.
However, Andwise and Kemendil motion the small group to slow down and be quiet, for they hear some sounds, carried by the wind, coming from the East, from the direction of the Vale, between the Anduin and Mirkwood.

OOC:  What wish you to do?
Berangar
 player, 434 posts
Fri 22 Apr 2016
at 19:36
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
Berangar slows and quiets as requested by his companions, saying in a low voice, "Should we send a stealthy scout to determine what it is?"
Kemendil
 player, 100 posts
Sat 23 Apr 2016
at 12:03
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
In reply to Berangar (msg # 958):

Kemendil glanced back over his shoulder to the others, gesturing to ask if he should stride forth seekingly.
Andwise Rumble
 player, 405 posts
Sat 23 Apr 2016
at 13:23
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
Andwise looks from the group to the ranger and raises his eyebrows in a questioning way, "Sometimes four eyes are better than two, I will accompany you if you wish?" he whispers.
Ulfaar
 player, 42 posts
 Man of the Lake
 Bowyer
Sat 23 Apr 2016
at 15:12
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
Bringing up the rear of the party, Ulfaar looks around casually taking in the sights.  "This is as far west as I have ever set foot.  I think my skills may be best at distance with my trusty bow."
Andwise Rumble
 player, 408 posts
Sun 24 Apr 2016
at 09:35
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
Without waiting for a reply Andwise starts to creep away towards the east.

10:31, Today: Andwise Rumble rolled a total of 16 (10 if weary): a success (failure if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 5 (Feat Die), 1, 2, 5, 3.  Stealth. Not sure how it works but can I spend hope to make sure of a success if weary?
Bern Asheye
 player, 392 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Sun 24 Apr 2016
at 17:58
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
Bern pulls his bow and ready an arrow as he watch the brave master Rumble make his way toward the sounds they heard.

He motions to Kemendil to follow the hobbit and have his back, better two scouts than one and they had the numbers for that.

"I rather not be surprised from our back, better check it out." he speaks to Berangar.
Loremaster
 GM, 1385 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Mon 25 Apr 2016
at 11:52
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
CLOSING THIS THREAD AND OPENING THE OTHER

OOC:  I will probably spend less time waiting for people in the future and if they post nothing within a few days, like 3, will just NPC them along then.  To keep things flowing and not have all blocked.