004a-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)   Posted by Loremaster.Group: 0
Loremaster
 GM, 662 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Tue 17 Feb 2015
at 07:41
004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
TA 2947 - Spring
The winter is over in the Anduin Vales, and the grass is starting to grow green again, pale green under the light blue sky, but, at least the snow, frost, and grey clouds are gone.
The Beornings have started exiting their fortified homesteads once again, moving their livestock back into the pastures, tilling their farmlands to prepare it for the crops…
Bees are awakening, and birds chirping away.
It will be a glorious Spring.

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:15, Mon 09 Mar 2015.

Loremaster
 GM, 693 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Mon 9 Mar 2015
at 07:05
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
Your belly full of fine eel and wine and many good things, you look at the copy of Bilbo's map and see that the travels you have ahead of you are not very harsh or long, time-wise at least.
A short trip up from the Inn to the Forest Gate, where the Elf-path exits Mirkwood, and then traveling North - probably close to the Forest - before turning North-East between the Hills and the Forest, to where this Frár is supposed to be, in the region before where the Forest-river exits Mirkwood.

You look to Bés, to see if she is up to guiding you, since she did not seem very happy about the goals Berangar has been given.

Shalronel puts a finger on the Northwest corner of Mirkwood: "These lands are far from my King's Hall and in recent years they have turned bleak and harsh.  Many dangers are said to be there now."

Brandoin looks at her, and scratches his beard.  He knows he has traveled this path before, but cannot remember much of anything special.

OOC:  have a look at Game Map Q which shows pretty much the lands you will be going to (it is cut off just short of the point you are aiming for) and, of course, Game Map 0 for the general view.
Loremaster
 GM, 695 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Tue 10 Mar 2015
at 05:16
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
Andwise glances at the map, and is happy to be going up to these regions he has yet to discover and knows so little about.

Bés, having agreed to guide on this journey, though not too happy to be meeting with this Frár person, tells you that there are indeed dangers in that part of Mirkwood, and these perils may overflow into the lands beside the forest, with wild animals or Goblins coming out into the Vales.  "One may find wolves or Wargs, crazed boars, ravenous bears…", she tells you.
Besides, she adds that very few people travel this route:  "Only my Kin are known to pass there on a regular basis, we will probably not meet other travelers.  The Dwarves normally follow the river once they exit the Narrows, just follow the East-bank of the Anduin down to the Old Ford".

Bern nods to Bés's words:  "I know not of those parts.  The Men of Dale and Esgaroth take the Elf-road…".

Berangar looks at the map, and then at you all, and truly thinks hard, looking into all he has heard of as a youngster and since, in order to try and help those who have agreed to travel with him on this mission for his Leader.
"There are Men in the Eastern Upper Vales, Men akin to those who are now united under Beorn, such as my family and I.  But these men hail one named Viglund as their master.  He has been their chief since before the Battle of Five Armies, before Beorn stepped up to his role further south.  Viglund fought Goblins and the Necromancer's power and united these Men and helped save them.  Thus he was a harsh leader in harsh times…  yet he has not changed today, although the world is an easier place, thus he is said to be a cruel leader."  He shakes his head:  "I must warn you that Beorn and he are bitter enemies it seems."
He then lowers his voice:  "Also, the folk of those parts, the Viglunding as they are named, just we are named Beornings, the Viglunding, then, practice... slavery."  He sighs:  "It used to be, for my people, that slavery, to be a thrall, was punishment for dire crimes.  But that practice fell out of practice generations ago.  Yet, Viglund reinstated this…  so you may see men and women with iron collars in those lands."  He looks sad: "Slaves…".

OOC:  spent the 1 Hope, taken from the Fellowship pool

You look to Bés, who is plotting the course you shall be taking the next morning...


_____

Bonus dice for the Travel
Brandoin 0 - Shalronel 1 - Andwise 0 - Bés 2 - Bern 0 - Berangar 2
1 Hope taken from Fellowship pool
So at 6 out of 7

Bes, child of Balin
 player, 227 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Tue 10 Mar 2015
at 20:46
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
Bés unfurls the map, lays it on the table, and traces a line with one thick, calloused finger. "Frár like as not plans to meet us somewhere in the West Gap of the Narrows, I'll hazard," she rumbles in a soft voice, "so we'll follow the forest's edge north for the first leg of our journey. A standing stone marks the entrance to a pass which climbs out of the Vale into the West Gap. We'll make for that."



20 miles in open terrain + 50 miles in sparse woods + 10 miles in fells = 80 miles actual
(20 x 1) +  (50 x 1.5) + (20 x 2) = 115 miles equivalent = 5.75 days of travel

Andwise Rumble
 player, 185 posts
Tue 10 Mar 2015
at 20:58
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
Andwise stares at the map. trying to follow Bes' finger traced route. He tries to pay attention to the words, but his mind seems to fixate upon the word 'slaves' which Berengar had so nonchalantly spoken.
Loremaster
 GM, 699 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Wed 11 Mar 2015
at 04:35
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
You all follow the Dwarven finger tracing the route, and look closely at the map…  though Andwise has trouble focusing, his mind wandering to what kind of meals thralls must receive.  Surely no second breakfast for one's in slavery.

Berangar glances at Bés:  "Frár not so much plans to meet us as…  we should plan on finding him.  I am an Envoy, thus he does not await our arrival, or know of our plans to see him."
You all think of the upcoming trip, and these 80 some miles, in the Spring, in lands that - although not entirely safe - are inhabited and not Wilderland, so it seems like just under a week of not too harsh walking.

_____

Sorry, Berangar, for speaking for you.  Just thought it the best way to pass the information on.  Hope it is okay.
For the trip, as Bés says, and so:  each companion must make 2 Fatigue tests at TN 14.
Let us have you all just roll them both now (cannot use a Bonus Die for this roll), as you start off, and I'll see if anything applies and spread it out accordingly.

Bonus dice for the Travel
Brandoin 0 - Shalronel 1 - Andwise 0 - Bés 2 - Bern 0 - Berangar 2

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:36, Wed 11 Mar 2015.

Bes, child of Balin
 player, 228 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Wed 11 Mar 2015
at 20:21
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
16:13, Today: Bes, child of Balin rolled a total of 19: a success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 10 (Feat Die), 3, 1, 5. Fatigue Test 1 (Travel). Fatigue unchanged.

16:14, Today: Bes, child of Balin rolled a total of 11 (8 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 3 (Feat Die), 1, 5, 2. Fatigue Test 2 (Travel). +1 Fatigue (2 for spring - 1 for ponies = 1) unless I spend Hope.

Bern Asheye
 player, 202 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Wed 11 Mar 2015
at 21:52
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
Bern kept his mouth shut for the first lag of the journey, while Beranger seem to have peace with Bes reaction Bern found himself the lesser man still holding anger at the dwarf. That anger had clawed at his heart and made his feet feel weary and heavy.

However, as the trek continued Bern found his old self, he was no longer a vagabond hunting old ruins but one of Dale finest and he should take example from his large companion and show merit and strength of character. Thus he had continued the trek in higher spirits.

"If Frar is not seeking us nor is he waiting for us than we should make a plan how to track him down." He speaks up as the companions discuss their plans.

OOC:
:34, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 21: a great success with the Gandalf Rune using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 12 (Feat Die), 3, 6. Fatigue test.

23:33, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 12 (9 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 5 (Feat Die), 4, 3. Fatigue test.

I don't suppose I could use the great fatigue test to compensate for the poor one? :)

Shalronel
 player, 235 posts
Thu 12 Mar 2015
at 01:59
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
Shalronel rides gaily with the party, happy that the fellowship has stopped bickering.  She sings songs at night to keep up morale.

OOC: 18:56, Today: Shalronel rolled a total of 16: a success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 6 (Feat Die), 5, 5.
18:56, Today: Shalronel rolled a total of 16: a success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 9 (Feat Die), 2, 5. travel.

Andwise Rumble
 player, 186 posts
Thu 12 Mar 2015
at 10:31
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
Andwise moves along, sometimes in silence, other times full of tales concerning his recent activities in the Shire hunting Orcs.

10:27, Today: Andwise Rumble rolled a total of 18: a success with the Gandalf Rune using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 12 (Feat Die), 5, 1. Travel Roll.

10:27, Today: Andwise Rumble rolled a total of 9 (8 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 4 (Feat Die), 4, 1. Travel Roll.

Loremaster
 GM, 704 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Thu 12 Mar 2015
at 14:28
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
The last night at the Inn, fat with eel and wine, having plotted the course you were to take, with Bés, Bern fell asleep easily, desiring to rest as best he could since he would be departing once again in the morning with his Fellows.
Yet, during the night, one of those Woeful dreams came to him, those visions his father said came to him too, and to their forefathers.
His ashen eyes opened suddenly, although he was still asleep, and, open-eyed during his night, his body froze as this dream coursed through his mind.

A dark figure stood in the distance, at the end of a vast and barren plain, a solitary shape, hard to distinguish.
As you try to get a better look at it, stepping forward, shapes rise from the ground and block your vision…
First, men, men with two faces, one face in front and one face in the back of the head, one bright and smiling one dark and foreboding.
Moving past these men, still trying to see the dark figure that somehow both terrifies you and attracts you…  the dark man seems a person in a long black hooded cloak, on a horse, and riding towards you.  But your vision is once again blocked by shapes rising from the earth.
Dwarves now appear, Dwarves, with two faces, one face in front and one face in the back of the head, one bright and smiling one dark and foreboding.
Like the men, they switch faces, moving heads back and forth:  smile and dark grin, smile and dark grin…
As you strive to move towards the black figure that, yes, is mounted on a dark steed, you suddenly find out that you are in chains.
Hands in manacles, feet with clamps, tethered to an iron post.
You look around:  you are in a steel cage.
The horseman is suddenly coming fast and closing in.
You dig around, looking for a key, for a tool, for something to release yourself… to release all of you, for you see your friends around you:  Master Rumble, Lady Shalronel, the sturdy Bés and Brandoin, Bern of Dale, they too are chained.
And you know, you know that you must get out before the rider… the rider…


You wake up, cold sweat bathing your body, looking around, grabbing your weapon.
No, no, it was only a dream.
But your heart feels dark.
Berangar
 player, 188 posts
Fri 13 Mar 2015
at 02:57
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
Berangar considers as they look over maps, and suggests, "since we are looking for Frar, and you say the dwarves generally follow the river, perhaps we should travel that way, and that we might get news of him from other travelers, or even come upon him ourselves?"

OOC:

22:23, Today: Berangar rolled a total of 17: a great success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 5 (Feat Die), 6, 2, 4. travel/fatigue test.

So, a great or extraordinary success can help someone who got a failure?

22:19, Today: Berangar rolled a total of 18: a success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 7 (Feat Die), 4, 5, 2. travel/fatigue test.

Loremaster
 GM, 709 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Fri 13 Mar 2015
at 07:11
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
The Company that had met and bonded the previous summer, now gathers once again at the doorstep of the Easterly Inn, in this very early Spring of TA 2947.
Andwise is receiving baskets from Agatha Brandybuck, who is seeing you off - as her husband's snoring comes from afar, a faint reminder to Master Rumble that though adventuring is exciting, sleeping in under a nice feather quilt is nice too! -.  Andwise passes the baskets to Brandoin who secures the food on the two ponies that will be traveling with you - Peony and Marigold -, and that carry most your packs,  gear and sleeping kit - tents and bedding.
It is very early in the morning, this March 4th, and though it is still quite chilly - you can see your breath-vapor as you exhale - the sky is clear, no rain clouds in sight, and holds the promise of a nice day.
In the image of Shalronel, who is proudly mounted upon her steed Ilmarëráma, your Company bears a stronger aura of experience and respectability, what with Andwise's peacock plumes of Marshall of the Shire, Berangar's fine armor of Beorn's Rover, or Bern being obviously one of King Bard's men.
Berangar and Bés exchange a few words, about the route you are about to set out upon to seek the Dwarf named Frár, that Bés child of Balin has warned you is not one to be trusted.


OOC:  please keep on any discussions, or preparations you wish - for example between Bés and Berangar as whether to go up North along the River Anduin or the edge of Mirkwood.
I am simply starting to post about your adventure, the parts that should not change (and will incorporate your Travel rolls and descriptions too, as you move, by whichever route you choose).
re. Berangar:  as per the rules (if I am not mistaken) a Great (or Extraordinary) success brings you nothing in the Travel roll.  So my feeling is that, since it is always nice to get a roll like that and one wants to see it have some bearing, the one who rolled an above normal success can help another traveler who failed.  The thing is, however, that we have two great successes so far, but none who have failed (come on Brandoin!) in that first leg of the journey (and I will not "carry over" successes and such from one part of the journey to the other).
Note:  I will just use "our" dates, and not get into Shire calendar and such, which I feel would be confusing.

Bes, child of Balin
 player, 229 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Fri 13 Mar 2015
at 15:54
Re:  004-Shackles in Shambles (2nd adventure)
Bés shrugs at Berangar's words. "Thought it best to take paths less trodden by these Viglundings, if they mislike your folk and take slaves as you say." She dismissively waves one hand. "And we Dwarves only travel along the river in well-armed numbers or by night. We're not apt to cross paths with Frár ere we reach the West Gap."