004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)   Posted by Loremaster.Group: 0
Loremaster
 GM, 1369 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Mon 18 Apr 2016
at 05:41
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Will start posting here soon...
Loremaster
 GM, 1384 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Mon 25 Apr 2016
at 11:49
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
OPENING NEW THREAD

Andwise and Kemendil motion the small group to slow down and be quiet, for they hear some sounds, carried by the wind, coming from the East, from the direction of the Vale, between the Anduin and Mirkwood.

Berangar slows and says in a low voice: "Should we send a stealthy scout to determine what it is?"

Kemendil glanced back over his shoulder to the others, gesturing to ask if he should stride forth seekingly, but then remained behind, leaving Andwise to start creeping away towards the East, alone.

Bern grabs his bow, like Ulfaar, and scans the surroundings, making sure the group is not surprised by anyone or anything moving in on them.

Andwise slips out, through the rugged brush, circling a low hill, heading East...

The group, covered by Ulfaar and Bern's sharp eyes and drawn bows, waits...  and waits.
Bern Asheye
 player, 395 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Mon 25 Apr 2016
at 12:10
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
"I like it not..." Bern mutters, we should not have sent the brave master Rumble by himself. Bern could not but feel for the brave hobbit.

"Kemendil you better scout ahead and check for our missing hobbit, take no risk and return to us safe. Better that we know what befall our compatriot than lose you as well."
Andwise Rumble
 player, 411 posts
Mon 25 Apr 2016
at 13:11
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Andwise...
Loremaster
 GM, 1386 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Mon 25 Apr 2016
at 13:20
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@Andwise
Andwise Rumble
 player, 412 posts
Mon 25 Apr 2016
at 16:19
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@LM
Loremaster
 GM, 1387 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Mon 25 Apr 2016
at 17:17
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@Andwise
Andwise Rumble
 player, 413 posts
Mon 25 Apr 2016
at 19:20
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@LM
Berangar
 player, 439 posts
Mon 25 Apr 2016
at 20:03
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Berangar nods at Bern's words, "Aye, best to have a second scout to back up the first; I would go myself, but these great feet of mine make better alarms."

Hefting his axe and spear, he keeps a wary eye, most especially on the rear to be sure no one or thing has followed them.


OOC:

I've been able to be online a fair bit this afternoon, and keep thinking there were updates, but it's just LM and Andwise PM'ing!  :(

Loremaster
 GM, 1389 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Mon 25 Apr 2016
at 20:09
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@Andwise

Around the group waiting where Andwise left, you spot no one.

OOC:  if any wish to act, please feel free...
I'd say Andwise has been gone for some twenty minutes now

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:10, Mon 25 Apr 2016.

Kemendil
 player, 101 posts
Tue 26 Apr 2016
at 03:42
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Kemendil stole along after Andwise, viewing, hearing, and creeping as best as he could in the undergrowth.

Kemendil rolled a total of 14 (11 if weary): a great success (failure if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 1 (Feat Die), 4, 2, 6, 1.  Awareness.
09:11, Today: Kemendil rolled a total of 21: an extraordinary success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 9 (Feat Die), 6, 6.  Stealth.

Sincere apologies for my delay, LM. I just got perplexed about which thread to post on, boss!

Loremaster
 GM, 1392 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Tue 26 Apr 2016
at 04:20
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Following Bern and Berangar's urging, Kemendil sets out after Andwise...

@Kemendil

OOC:  no problem Kemendil, nice 6's!

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:21, Tue 26 Apr 2016.

Kemendil
 player, 102 posts
Tue 26 Apr 2016
at 07:43
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
In reply to Loremaster (msg # 12):

PM

This message was last edited by the player at 08:33, Tue 26 Apr 2016.

Andwise Rumble
 player, 415 posts
Wed 27 Apr 2016
at 12:53
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@LM
Loremaster
 GM, 1397 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Wed 27 Apr 2016
at 14:18
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@Andwise

@Kemendil
Andwise Rumble
 player, 416 posts
Wed 27 Apr 2016
at 16:23
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@LM
Loremaster
 GM, 1399 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Wed 27 Apr 2016
at 16:54
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@Andwise:
Andwise Rumble
 player, 417 posts
Wed 27 Apr 2016
at 18:05
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@LM
Loremaster
 GM, 1400 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Thu 28 Apr 2016
at 04:54
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@Andwise

@Kemendil
Bern Asheye
 player, 396 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Thu 28 Apr 2016
at 06:46
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bern waited, there was not much else to do, he had his bow ready and his arrow at hand. He just had to hope the hobbit was fine and that the ranger was wise enough to alert them and not do some heroic on his own... or maybe he was just too wary, maybe the scout took longer than expected and they had a long walk.
Andwise Rumble
 player, 418 posts
Thu 28 Apr 2016
at 10:57
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@LM
Loremaster
 GM, 1401 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Thu 28 Apr 2016
at 11:42
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@Andwise

@Kemendil
Andwise Rumble
 player, 419 posts
Thu 28 Apr 2016
at 13:58
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@LM
Kemendil
 player, 106 posts
Thu 28 Apr 2016
at 15:07
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@LM
Loremaster
 GM, 1404 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Thu 28 Apr 2016
at 15:11
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@Andwise:

@Kemendil
Berangar
 player, 442 posts
Thu 28 Apr 2016
at 16:22
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Berangar looked at Bern's growing uneasiness, and did his best to quell his own.  Sitting still while trying to remain at the ready could wear at one's nerves.  After determining no one was trying to sneak up from behind, he tended to the ponies, making sure they had some fodder to either graze or browse while they all waited.  He then did a short circuit of their little impromptu 'camp' just to stretch his legs and returned to his post.
Bes, child of Balin
 player, 440 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Thu 28 Apr 2016
at 16:38
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bés idly strokes her beard with one hand. "Master Andwise could have eaten two breakfasts and elevenses in the time he's been gone," she rumbles to no one in particular. "Should sufficient time pass that he could add luncheon to that tally, it might be prudent to follow and 'reconnoiter in force'."

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 16:38, Thu 28 Apr 2016.

Andwise Rumble
 player, 421 posts
Thu 28 Apr 2016
at 18:00
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@LM
Loremaster
 GM, 1406 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Fri 29 Apr 2016
at 05:30
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@Kemendil
@Andwise
Kemendil
 player, 108 posts
Fri 29 Apr 2016
at 06:41
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
In reply to Loremaster (msg # 29):

@LM
Loremaster
 GM, 1407 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Fri 29 Apr 2016
at 07:21
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@Kemendil

@Andwise
Kemendil
 player, 110 posts
Fri 29 Apr 2016
at 07:33
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
In reply to Loremaster (msg # 31):

@LM
Loremaster
 GM, 1409 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Fri 29 Apr 2016
at 07:44
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@Kemendil
Kemendil
 player, 111 posts
Fri 29 Apr 2016
at 07:53
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
In reply to Loremaster (msg # 33):

@LM
Loremaster
 GM, 1410 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Fri 29 Apr 2016
at 08:05
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@Andwise

@Kemendil

The group is milling about, trying to not feel overly impatient, Berangar occupying his mind by tending to the ponies, Bés starting to talk about all moving East... when, after about a half an hour since Andwise left, you hear a quaint, mellifluous birdcall coming from a ways East.
Dinaethion looks up:  "That is Kemendil.  His call to show where he is, but that there is hostility afoot."
Bern Asheye
 player, 397 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Fri 29 Apr 2016
at 16:40
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
"Trouble..." Bern nods "Perhaps a misdirection, Bes and I will lead the ponies, meanwhile the rest of you will follow us in hiding. When the hostiles would show, they would focus on us allowing you the element of surprise."
Berangar
 player, 443 posts
Mon 2 May 2016
at 03:19
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Berangar looks quickly over at the elf, "This call, hostility afoot -- Andwise is in danger now, or only potentially?" 

He thinks but a moment, and responds to Bern, "Our most stealthy folk have already scouted ahead.  I fear the rest of us make not be the best at remaining hidden."


OOC:  Would it be possible for Berangar to use his Hunting skill in terms of stalking prey in the wild?  He's not very stealthy (Stealth 1), but he's got to catch animals somehow? 

Loremaster
 GM, 1413 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Mon 2 May 2016
at 07:00
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bern and Bés start moving East, leading the ponies...  with Dinaethion a few paces ahead, hiding in the bushes, looking out to spot Kemendil.

Ulfaar and Shalronel followed behind, at a bit of a distance.
Berangar slipped off to the side, bowing his tall frame to seem smaller and not be seen, using the trick he had devised to better hunt.

OOC:  fine for using your trait, Berangar & Dinaethion

You soon come upon Kemendil, who steps out of some bushes.

OOC:  Kemendil can tell you what happened with him...  so you can then choose what to do next

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:09, Mon 02 May 2016.

Kemendil
 player, 112 posts
Tue 3 May 2016
at 03:46
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
When his friends arrived, Kemendil narrated what he had seen-

Out of the corner of his eye, as he released an arrow to distract some of the people who seemed like Beornings, yet were rather hostile, Kemendil sees that Andwise had managed to distract the tall men long enough to dash off and dive into a pile of beams that were obviously supports to carry the wooden cages on, to be used on carts or such. The Hobbit disappeared from sight there, and he hoped that he was still there.

The noise from the arrow helped Andwise, since the entire camp makes for their weapons, and start moving in what is a well coordinated battle formation:  some moving to guard the cages, others to cover all sides, and a small group, covered by others, heading for where he made the noise.

A last group seems to search for the Hobbit...  but they are not that many, and seem distracted.  And they do not seem to be close to locating him, rather trying to see how he ran up the hill.

Loremaster
 GM, 1415 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Tue 3 May 2016
at 06:12
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
OOC:  just adding something that I think Kemendil would have shared, since his Fellows do not know about this either - thanks for the nice narration!

Before talking of using his bow, Kemendil explained that-

About ten minutes to the East, there is a dell surrounded by some low hills, and I saw Andwise talking with some of the tall men, and then going down with them into the dell.  Climbing discreetly up the side, I noticed that inside there were several dozen of these men, with two leaders who seemed to be quarreling - that Andwise was being taken to - and several wooden cages with people locked up inside.

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:12, Tue 03 May 2016.

Bern Asheye
 player, 398 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Tue 3 May 2016
at 08:10
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bern heard the tale and adds "I wonder if tis is the same Viglunding group we had encountered a week or so ago..." he glance at Bes and Berangar for their opinion.

"How many guards have you seen friend Kemendil and who were the prisoners in the cages?"
Berangar
 player, 444 posts
Tue 3 May 2016
at 14:52
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Berangar strokes his beard thoughtfully, "Hmm, they may be some of the same sort, but we encountered only a few, not the dozens friend Kemendil has seen.  I would guess Andwise must have been spotted, otherwise, I do not think he would have spoken to the men.  I do not like the sound of people held in cages, but once already we have learned not to act rashly when we do not know all there is to know."
Kemendil
 player, 113 posts
Tue 3 May 2016
at 18:05
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
In reply to Berangar (msg # 42):

"We must however fetch Master Rumble out of his difficult  corner. There are admittedly  many, but we can split them and strike "
Bern Asheye
 player, 399 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Tue 3 May 2016
at 18:33
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
"Let us not be hasty, wisdom and cunning would be more suitable here than brawn." the Daleman says.

"As friend Berangar mentioned we have learn before that not all things are as they seems, it was a valuable lesson. From your tale our brave hobbit is in no intimidate peril. Let us watch these men and see if we can decipher thier heart. Than let us think of the best of plans to secure our brave scout."
Andwise Rumble
 player, 422 posts
Wed 4 May 2016
at 16:00
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@LM
Loremaster
 GM, 1417 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Wed 4 May 2016
at 16:33
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@Andwise
Dinaethion
 player, 33 posts
 High-elf scholar,
 artificer & smith
Wed 4 May 2016
at 16:45
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
"From your description, my friend, these Men number at least thrice our own," the Noldo replies to Kemendil. Gesturing to Bern, Dinaethion continues, "It would be wise to heed our comrade's suggestion, and learn their hearts first." He turns then to Berangar. "As Kemendil and I have not encountered these... Viglundings... before, let us approach and speak with them," the Noldo remarks, "whilst you and the company seek advantageous positions from which to watch and possibly strike should the need arise."
Kemendil
 player, 114 posts
Wed 4 May 2016
at 17:41
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
In reply to Dinaethion (msg # 47):

The Ranger scowled-"I daresay I like not the look of these strange slavers, for never have I known any well-meaning ones. But for now,it appears we have little choice but to approach them with amiable mien."
Bes, child of Balin
 player, 442 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Wed 4 May 2016
at 17:48
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bés grunts in response to the Ranger's remark. "Aye, no good can come of their prospering. 'Tis not for us to confront them, however," she grumbles lowly, "without first speaking with the leaders of our respective peoples. We've much news to bring them... and unfortunately most is bad."

This message was last edited by the player at 19:06, Wed 04 May 2016.

Andwise Rumble
 player, 423 posts
Wed 4 May 2016
at 19:02
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@LM
Berangar
 player, 445 posts
Wed 4 May 2016
at 20:06
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
"Bes is correct.  Much as I dislike it, long have we delayed already in returning, and we have much vital news to all of our kin.  Andwise would seem to have already run afoul of these folk, and for my part, my only reason to linger in these parts is to be sure he safely rejoins us."
Bern Asheye
 player, 400 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Fri 6 May 2016
at 05:16
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bern nods his agreement "As my esteemed friend mentioned we must make sure the quest put on friend Berangar by his sire and lord is fulfilled."

He sighs leaning on his spear thinking "Alas, I can not but think that the only way the enemy and shadow thrives is when the free people ignore evil."

This was not an easy dilemma "On that I counter that not always things are what they seems and sometimes it is best to watch before passing judgment. So my suggestion stands, we watch and learn while the lord elf and our friend master Kemendil of the north approach these people with diplomatic mission in hope of deciphering what lie in their hearts."
Kemendil
 player, 115 posts
Fri 6 May 2016
at 06:42
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
"I am in agreement! I am no master of the art of the spoken word, nor can I embellish my presence with great grace or instill instantaneous deference. A life amongst the pathless vastness of Arnor had, I fear, allowed little chance of such refinement. But I'm wiling to follow friend Dinaethion along should he wish to parley with them."
Loremaster
 GM, 1418 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Fri 6 May 2016
at 09:51
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
OOC:  my feeling is that Kemendil just did not see, or fogot, this part of Bern's question, so I am answering it - if K. wanted to hide this information, tell us, and the players can disregard it

Answering Bern's query as to "How many guards have you seen friend Kemendil and who were the prisoners in the cages?", Kemendil says that he feels there were about three dozen people in the camp, pretty much all warriors.  But he did not really take a look at the cages, so just saw people.  Maybe a half a dozen cages, with more than one person per cage, maybe two to four?
Kemendil
 player, 116 posts
Fri 6 May 2016
at 10:18
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Yikes, I missed that bit. Horrendous workload! Yes,thats that,then.
Loremaster
 GM, 1429 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Tue 10 May 2016
at 21:44
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
You set out, moving towards the North, and then swinging to the East, aiming to move to up above the camp, and then go South to approach it from the North...

Dinaethion and Kemendil are up front, since they are the ones that will be approaching.
Behind them, with the ponies, come the rest of the Fellowship, with Shalronel towards the rear, to be out of sight later on.

As you start to turn towards the East, having moved North, Berangar - who is in the center of your group, near the ponies - and Ulfaar - who is towards the rear, with Shalronel - both motion the others to prick up their ears:  you have noticed some strange sounds, and absence of sounds (like birds not chirping after you have passed) behind you.
Your feeling is that someone, or some someones, are following you.

Some of you grumble, and think that you should at least have tried to cover your tracks, both when leaving the Viglunding camp, and then when moving North, these outdoorsmen probably are used to hunting...
Kemendil
 player, 120 posts
Wed 11 May 2016
at 10:35
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Kemendil approached gingerly, for he knew he was treading difficult waters here. He somehow could not trust himself to begin the colloquy, but endeavoured all he could to cut a substantial figure before the truculent band of slavers, who he felt sure would be sizing them up as they proceeded.

But then his ears caught the eerie oddness in the air, and he tapped Dinaethion on the shoulder.

This message was last edited by the player at 11:05, Wed 11 May 2016.

Bern Asheye
 player, 405 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Wed 11 May 2016
at 10:39
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bern blessed himself to have such astute companions that could pick such minor detail.

He moves casually to where Berangar walks rubbing his nose and speaking softly "So you think we have company? better be prepare to be attacked from the rear."

"let us switch with Ulfaar and Shalronel so so we would slow any attack while  the archer will be at the center of the group able to assist both front and rear."
Loremaster
 GM, 1432 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Thu 12 May 2016
at 05:37
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
OOC:  I will let you prepare and set up as you wish...  so you can place yourselves where you want and such (Shalronel is where you said).  Then, after that--

Coming along quietly, following your tracks while looking around ahead, to spot you, weapons in hand, a half a dozen tall Beorning-like men appear: bearded, tall, powerful...  but with their hair boasting top-knots.
They sport light leather armor, and spears in hand.
Berangar
 player, 448 posts
Thu 12 May 2016
at 14:51
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Berangar gives only a slight nod of his great, shaggy head to let Bern know he has heard him and agrees, slowing is pace to drop back to the rear, so that the first things their pursuers see will be the bear-like Beorning and the steely gaze of the Barding's ashen eyes.
Ulfaar
 player, 47 posts
 Man of the Lake
 Bowyer
Thu 12 May 2016
at 18:39
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Nodding in acknowledgment, Ulfaar moves toward the center of the party and casually grabs an arrow from his quiver.
Loremaster
 GM, 1436 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Mon 16 May 2016
at 05:20
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
The men stop when they come in sight, and spot you.
One of their group detaches and runs off towards the South-East - their camp.
The other five stay at a distance, watching you.  Not threatening, but their weapons ready...
Loremaster
 GM, 1439 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Tue 17 May 2016
at 07:21
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
A few minutes pass, the five men remaining at a distance, simply watching you.  Their weapons ready but not up and threatening.
Bern Asheye
 player, 408 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Tue 17 May 2016
at 07:24
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bern shakes his head as no one of his companion seem to take the initiative to speak, thus he speak forward spear tip lowered and motion them to come forward for a parley.

"Peace friend... " he calls out.
Loremaster
 GM, 1440 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Tue 17 May 2016
at 07:41
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
The men exchange a rapid glance, hesitating for a second...  but none step forward.
Glancing quickly to the South-East, where their camp must be, one of them switches his spear to his left hand and raises an open right hand, calling out to Bern:  "Peace!  You had better just move on."
One of the other men calls out, grumbling:  "Get far from here before nighttime."
A third lets out a bitter laugh: "I'll go with them."
The second and the third men look at one another, nodding their agreement.
The others, who had not yet spoken, start quarreling with the two who seem to agree...  and so the first man then turns around and hushes them all.
He glances back to Bern:  "Better just move on."
Bern Asheye
 player, 409 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Tue 17 May 2016
at 07:46
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bern waits patiently looking and listening to the other group debate "Of course we will move on but first, let us parley some... the road is long and dangerous full of perils and us travelers need to band together to share news and warning of dangers."

OOC:

10:45, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 13 (9 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 3 (Feat Die), 6, 2, 2.  Persuade.
10:45, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 12 (6 if weary): a failure with the Eye of Sauron (complications) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 11 (Feat Die), 3, 3, 6.  Insight on the men.

Horrible rolls, I'll spend a hope to turn the Persuade into a great success.

Loremaster
 GM, 1441 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Tue 17 May 2016
at 08:09
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
When Bern talks of parley, you see that the group, that seems split - the two that were urging you to go before nightfall and jokingly talking of coming with you vs. the other two ; with the "leader" trying to calm both parties - start quarreling again, and you get the idea that all will depend on who you talk with, and they mean someone or "someones" that are not here.
The one who first spoke, after again trying to calm his people down, motions you to leave fast:  "Not a good day for parley."
Then, when you mention the road and sticking together, one of the two that told you to move out before the night calls out:  "The road is less dangerous than here right now!".
And his friend adds, looking at the other two Viglunding he is quarreling with:  "Instead of banding together, we invite perils into our own home".
The other two start yelling at him, and the four - two vs. two - seem ready to exchange blow.
The "leader" has to step in between them, and waves to you:  "Not much news to share, but I can warn of dangers for you if you stay.  Just go, now...".
Bern waits patiently looking and listening to the other group debate "Of course we will move on but first, let us parley some... the road is long and dangerous full of perils and us travelers need to band together to share news and warning of dangers."

OOC:  not bad rolls, 13 and 12.  I'll have both count as successes, and thus count the 6's, with a TN of 12, seeing how they all are quite riled up and not very guarded.
Bern Asheye
 player, 410 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Tue 17 May 2016
at 08:34
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Again Bern watch in silence as the event unfolds.

"Please friends there is no need to quarrel." he says in a pleading voice "I am Bern of Dale, together with some friends we set out on this voyage. We are no brigands nor mercenary but simple travelers our dwarf friend is a trader."

He waits for the leader to introduce himself "We have gold and are looking for new merchandise to procure."

After a heartbeat or two he adds

"Beside, if there is peril here than how can I in good faith leave my new friends to fend for it alone?"

"Come my friends, share with us your woes."

OOC
Figure there would be a need for a new Persuade roll to convince them that two elves, ranger of the north a fierce looking Beorning are harmless folks :)

11:32, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 15 (9 if weary): a success (failure if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 9 (Feat Die), 3, 1, 2.  Insight .
11:32, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 15 (13 if weary): a success (failure if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 4 (Feat Die), 4, 2, 5.  Persuade.

Andwise Rumble
 player, 425 posts
Tue 17 May 2016
at 09:35
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@LM,
Kemendil
 player, 125 posts
Wed 18 May 2016
at 04:59
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)


LM
Loremaster
 GM, 1444 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Wed 18 May 2016
at 05:31
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
You see that the 'leader' is only the one in charge of this scouting-tracking group, and not the one who can make a decision.
As he listens to Bern, and hesitates--  the Viglunding who had left, returns, with another half a dozen armed Viglunding.
They confer rapidly with the 'leader' here, and then escort you to the South-East, towards the camp, so you can take up your demands and questions with the ones in charge.

They guide you without hostility, simply keeping a close eye on you.
You hear that the newcomers are discussing something too, like the others, and that there seems to be two groups:  one in favor of something that is to happen this night, or at least happy to obey ; and the other that feels this is not something they should do.

A couple of the Viglunding eye Berangar, and Bern... and Shalronel, and you wonder if they were not part of the group you met earlier!

It is late afternoon as you come to an incline, like a small hill - the same place Kemendil saw before - that you approach from the North-West.
You go up to the top of the hillock - passing some guards -, and spot a little camp in a dell below:  men, people who look like Beornings, but with their hair tied in topknots - you know these are all Viglunding.
There are about three dozen total - including the guards, and the ones escorting you -, all men, all in arms, around some fires in the center.
Wooden cages- that were transported by cart it seems - are set up around the fire, with people locked within.

Down below, two Viglunding who seem to be the leaders - one a bit younger than the other - were arguing.
The younger one is the one Shalronel wounded.

The 'leader' motions you to go on down...
Bern Asheye
 player, 412 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Thu 19 May 2016
at 11:09
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Well this was not what they wanted but still they were here now and must make the best of all.

"Be ready for violence..." he cautions his fellows as he start heading down toward the Viglunding leaders.
Loremaster
 GM, 1445 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Thu 19 May 2016
at 14:51
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
You make your way down into the Viglunding camp, walking along, with your ponies - Peony and Marigold.

You are in a dell, a small depression surrounded by a circle of low hillocks.
In the center, a place where fire-wood has been burnt, but, although the group does not seem ready to leave, the fire is being let die.
Spread out around, in a kind of circle, the sturdy wooden cages- sized to fit on the back of horse-carts - contain people.
There are about six cages.  With, as far as you can tell, two or three people per cage.
Just outside the "ring" of cages, you see a pile of wooden beams, that must be used to lift the cages and secure them on carts.

You see that there must be a half a dozen Viglunding moving around the hill-top or beyond, spread out and on the look-out.

Another half-dozen depart the camp once you have arrived, and seem to go make some kind of scouting tour.
Hearing an infant make some noise, you see that one of them is with a toddler.

Then, about a dozen men are "resting" - eating, sitting around, cleaning their weapons... - while another dozen are at arms and guarding the camp.

The two men you come up to, the ones designated as the leaders, are two strong and tall Viglunding.  It is pretty obvious, once close, that these are brothers - or at least cousins - for they look quite alike.  One is a bit younger, and he is the one who was badly wounded when you met him last.
You see he is healing well, but does actually still have some bandages under his leather jerkin.

OOC:  so, tell me how you wish to approach them - and if you wish for one to speak for all of you etc.?
Bern Asheye
 player, 414 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Thu 19 May 2016
at 18:39
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bern make sure the elf helm he found was set right on his head, he had take the effort to clean it while they were on their way and now he thought it would provoke the awe he needed. It could also provoke the Viglunding to attack for various reasons but it was a chance worth taking.

As he saw who they were approaching he whispered "Make sure Shalronel is hidden among us and a hood covers her face."

He give a short bow of respect to the pair of leaders, knowing this would be a tricky encounter at best. "We are well met, I am Bern of the Dale and these are my companions."
Kemendil
 player, 128 posts
Thu 19 May 2016
at 18:58
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
In reply to Bern Asheye (msg # 74):

Kemendil doubly tried to ensure Shalronel's concealment by standing tall in front of her, shielding her from those before them.

I invoke Tall.
Loremaster
 GM, 1446 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Thu 19 May 2016
at 22:25
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Shalronel bends over a bit, and pulls the hood over her fiery red hair, and remains hidden behind the tall Ranger.

OOC:
@Kemendil:  smart move re. Tall!
@all:  all can make an Insight roll, to try and see what is going on here, and gain bonus dice for the Encounter.
@Bern:  so, you have taken point and are the Spokesperson here - unless others want to step in talk too, but then it is more of a free for all.
So, for me, your opening lines are more along the lines of a Courtesy roll, not really Awe - so, I would ask for a Courtesy roll, unless you were aiming for Awe, in which case you should change what you say, into something more Awe-like...

Bern Asheye
 player, 415 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Thu 19 May 2016
at 22:44
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bern give a bow waiting for the leaders response.

OOC:

01:41, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 10 (9 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 5 (Feat Die), 4, 1.  Courtesy.
01:40, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 24: an extraordinary success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 8 (Feat Die), 4, 6, 6.  Insight .

I'll spend a hope point to turn the failed Courtesy to a success (assuming 16 is a success) :)

Sure thing, Bern think the helm would be good for Awe but he start with courtesy that being more ahm polite :)

Everyone please feel free to jump in

Berangar
 player, 455 posts
Fri 20 May 2016
at 02:38
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Berangar stands firm beside Bern, hands resting lightly upon his weapons, while his eyes sweep the site, trying to take in and make sense of what these men are doing here.

OOC:

22:19, Today: Berangar rolled a total of 27: a success with the Gandalf Rune using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 12 (Feat Die), 5, 5, 5.  Insight.

Wow!  That's about as high a roll as I can get w/o hitting a great success!  Did get a Gandalf, though!  :)

I need to check on Berangar's Noble Armor, too. 

Kemendil
 player, 129 posts
Fri 20 May 2016
at 03:15
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Insight roll failed miserably.
Loremaster
 GM, 1448 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Fri 20 May 2016
at 05:53
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bern glances around, taking in the dynamics of what seems to be going on here - two groups of people, with opposing thoughts, among the Viglunding ; the fact that these two leaders seem to be brothers... yet are arguing - and calls upon his inner energy to sound calm and courteous while introducing himself.

OOC:  Hope point spent - success.
Great Insight roll, you have 3 bonus dice. Can only use 1 per roll, but can "give" some to others - by narrating how.


As Berangar looks around he sees that the Viglunding are admirative of his armor made of beautiful lacquered leather, yet that the fact he is a Beorning makes them wary, especially the older of the two leaders.  Also, of course, you feel that this is quite obviously not a good moment to be bothering them.

OOC:  Funny roll, yes! 2 bonus dice, only one from roll, plus one from armour.
When wearing Noble Armour at an encounter you receive one free Encounter advantage bonus die. Additionally, your Valour and Wisdom scores enjoy a bonus of +3 as far as calculating Tolerance is concerned.
I counted your extra die from Armour so it gives you 2 dice - and, since Tolerance most often is counted using the highest of Valour or Wisdom, it will probably be based on yours - since you have 6 Wisdom - 5 Valour for Encounters.
You probably feel that it is your Valour that will be the basis, since this is a martial group... but, who knows?


____________


Note:  Everyone please feel free to jump in
Just remember that if you actively participate (not Insight rolls, but ones like Courtesy, Awe etc.) and you fail, your failure adds to the tally of how many failures you can have before the Tolerance rating is reached - and the Encounter is over.

Encounter
TOTAL SUCCESSES: 1 vs. FAILURES: 0
Bern - 3 bonus dice - 1 success -
Berangar - 2 bonus dice -
Kemendil - 0 bonus dice -
Dinaethion - 1 bonus die -
Bés - 1 bonus die -
Ulfaar - 0 bonus dice -
Shalronel - hiding
Andwise - in hiding?

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:09, Sat 21 May 2016.

Andwise Rumble
 player, 426 posts
Fri 20 May 2016
at 12:23
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
LM,

Ulfaar
 player, 50 posts
 Man of the Lake
 Bowyer
Sat 21 May 2016
at 13:40
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Failed!. Ugh....


09:39, Today: Ulfaar rolled a total of 8 (3 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 3 (Feat Die), 3, 2.  Insight roll.
Loremaster
 GM, 1454 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Sat 21 May 2016
at 19:43
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
The older of the two faces Bern, with a neutral look, and then speaks: "It is good, Bern of Dale, that you come ask for our authorization to travel these lands.  Yes, I grant you passage, in the name of my father, Viglund.  Go now, you may travel!".
He waves his arm dismissively.

____________

Encounter
TOTAL SUCCESSES: 1 vs. FAILURES: 0 
Bern - 3 bonus dice - 1 success -
Berangar - 2 bonus dice -
Kemendil - 0 bonus dice -
Dinaethion - 1 bonus die -
Bés - 1 bonus die -
Ulfaar - 0 bonus dice -
Shalronel - hiding
Andwise - in hiding?

Bern Asheye
 player, 416 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Sat 21 May 2016
at 22:23
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
"I thank you for that..." Bern says with a respect "... but I must ask, your man has spoken about danger in this place. What sort of danger lies in this place and is there a way we may assist?"

OOC:
Spends 1 of the bonus dice
01:22, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 16 (11 if weary): a great success (failure if weary) with the Eye of Sauron (complications) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 11 (Feat Die), 3, 5, 6, 2.  Persuade.

Loremaster
 GM, 1455 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Sun 22 May 2016
at 00:03
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
The man turns towards the younger leader, and addresses him:  "You talk of danger?  To foreigners!  There is no danger, I tell you.  And how did you meet these to talk to them did--".
He suddenly stops, and looks at the whole group:  "All kinds together:  Beorning, Dwarf, Elf...", and puts his hand on his axe:  "Are these the ones that wounded you?!".
Eyeing Bern:  "If you are a kin-slayer, if you are the ones who attacked my brother, I wish no assistance from you, and assistance you will need against me!  Besides, there is no danger here, thank you."

At the same time, a slight shiver comes to all, and you shake of this cold feeling...  then, glancing rapidly at the skies, you spot a dark cloud-front rolling in from the South-East, like some Summer storm.


The younger leader looks from Bern, to the whole group, to his brother...  and is about to speak.

OOC:  do you wish to intervene before him, or let him speak first?

____________

Encounter
TOTAL SUCCESSES: 2 vs. FAILURES: 0 
Bern - 2 bonus dice - 2 successes -
Berangar - 2 bonus dice -
Kemendil - 0 bonus dice -
Dinaethion - 1 bonus die -
Bés - 1 bonus die -
Ulfaar - 0 bonus dice -
Shalronel - hiding
Andwise - in hiding?

Bern Asheye
 player, 417 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Sun 22 May 2016
at 05:49
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bern eye burn with anger he stand taller his voice grow stronger "Watch your accusation, I am Bern of the Dale man of King Bard. Never will I strike my kin nor my king." words all true.

"My offer of aid come from open heart now enough with this subterfuge what is this dark terror you all cringe about."

OOC:
Use Awe +1 extra dice
08:48, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 17: a success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 1 (Feat Die), 5, 4, 5, 2.  Awe.

Loremaster
 GM, 1456 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Sun 22 May 2016
at 08:52
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
As Bern's eye burn with anger and he stands taller...  he truly does, or, at least, as all his Fellows, who have traveled with him for some time now, glance at him, are startled, for you have never heard him speak in such a manner.  Truly, he seems greater and more awe-inspiring than ever!  And then, as he stops talking...  you blink, and he is back, the Bern you have always known.

OOC:  in dice-terms, Bern's success of 17 is actually a 23.


The man take a step back, and bows his head for a brief moment:  "I do not wish to sully our relationship with Dale.  We are glad to trade with your fine town, and you and yours are always free to travel through our lands."

As you speak of "dark terror", you see that his younger brother looks at you, and glances around... exchanging a look with some of the Viglunding.
But, as you say those words, the man you are speaking to, the older brother, takes a step forward again:  "No terror here, and nothing dark.  Also, we are not ones to cringe.  No, indeed we are not." He stares at you:  "And, though I have the greatest respect for your Lord and King, I would, in my travels to his land...", he raises his voice and stands tall:  "neither be one to meddle in his affairs, or try to influence how his family and councilors conduct their affairs".
Bern - and the Fellowship - are startled by how impressive he does suddenly seem.

OOC:  a simply success of Awe (with a roll of 20).

Just then, the younger brother steps forward, and lays his hand on his older brother's shoulder.

"Those are not my assailants.  The one who struck was an Elf, but from the woods, and a female.  And their Dwarf...  err... had no beard.  And the Beorning had a grey beard."

_______

NoteNever will I strike my kin - When he said kin-slayer, he meant his kin, his brother (since he is wondering if you are not the group who attacked - which you did - his brother) ; sorry if not clear..

____________

Encounter
TOTAL SUCCESSES: 3 vs. FAILURES: 0 
Bern - 1 bonus die - 3 successes -
Berangar - 2 bonus dice -
Kemendil - 0 bonus dice -
Dinaethion - 1 bonus die -
Bés - 1 bonus die -
Ulfaar - 0 bonus dice -
Shalronel - hiding
Andwise - in hiding?

Loremaster
 GM, 1458 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Sun 22 May 2016
at 10:13
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
However, as all are startled by how impressive the older brother seems--  and then are surprised by the strange words of the younger brother, who is indicating a different group than yours...  Bern steps forward, and repeats his last words, again with his strangely awesome voice: "Enough with this subterfuge!  What is this dark terror you all cringe about?"
Except that his already powerful voice seems to grow stronger and stronger, booming out across the entire dell, reverberating off the hillocks.
Also, Bern seems to grow in stature, to seem nearly a foot taller, and his face appears so mighty and lofty, that even you, his comrades and Fellows, slightly bow your heads before him...
The Viglunding leaders both drop a knee to the ground, as silence falls across the dell - no one, not one of the guards, speaks. nor chatters.  All the Viglunding bow their heads and face Bern.
The older Viglunding mutters:  "We await our new Ally, to give him what he requested in exchange for his help.  Yet some here" - and he flicks his eyes towards his younger brother - "fear this alliance and do not trust the Dark Envoy, wishing we do not deal with him".

At the same time, the dark clouds move over-head, approaching the dell, about to block out the late afternoon light.
In the distance, a flash of lightning illuminates the horizon...

For a few seconds, nothing happens.

Then a clap of thunder--  and the Viglunding, all start to move around and talk as before, while the two brothers stand up again, facing Bern.  They glance around...

"Do...  do you wish to sit and share a drink, or a morsel of food?", asks the older brother.  "You... you are our guests."

____________

Encounter
TOTAL SUCCESSES: 3 vs. FAILURES: 0 
Bern - 1 bonus die - 3 successes -
Berangar - 2 bonus dice -
Kemendil - 0 bonus dice -
Dinaethion - 1 bonus die -
Bés - 1 bonus die -
Ulfaar - 0 bonus dice -
Shalronel - hiding
Andwise - in hiding?

This message was last edited by the GM at 10:14, Sun 22 May 2016.

Andwise Rumble
 player, 427 posts
Sun 22 May 2016
at 12:58
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
LM,
Berangar
 player, 457 posts
Sun 22 May 2016
at 15:00
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Berangar keeps a friendly but guarded demeanor with the Viglundings, standing all the while shoulder to shoulder with Bern to emphasize support of his brother.  During the pause created by the clap of thunder, he leans close and whispers to Bern. 

OOC:  Standing side by side with Bern, is that sufficient to lend him one of my bonus dice, if need be?

Loremaster
 GM, 1460 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Sun 22 May 2016
at 15:10
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Berangar remains tall and strong, close to Bern.

OOC:  fine for lending bonus dice if needed.

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:10, Sun 22 May 2016.

Bern Asheye
 player, 420 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Sun 22 May 2016
at 19:11
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bern listen with stern gaze his feature not softening with the schism between the brothers "Listen to me sons of Viglund, no good would come from this dark emissary for his words are lies to bind your soul and sooth your vigil until tis to late."

He motions with his hand "Search your heart and know the truth no bargain that require men and child to be in cages is good nor would it lead to anything but malice."

He place a hand on Berangar shoulder "...but all is not lost, with me stand Berangar of Beorn kin, strong and wise he is and my blood brother. Other of no less stature are among us, together we would help you drive away the shadow and chase away the enemy that sought to deceive your heart."

OOC:
Take 1 dice from Berangar
22:10, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 14 (13 if weary): a success (failure if weary) with the Eye of Sauron (complications) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 11 (Feat Die), 1, 5, 4, 4.  Persuade.
Will spend hope if need be

Bes, child of Balin
 player, 450 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Sun 22 May 2016
at 19:42
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@Bern: Also feel free to use Bés' bonus die as needed.
Loremaster
 GM, 1461 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Mon 23 May 2016
at 04:51
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
As Bern talks of a dark emissary who lies to bind souls, the younger brother nods, and looks at the elder brother who seems quite dubious.
Then, as Bern pursues, talking about how bargains should not require people in cages, the older brother shakes his head:  "No...  he only required the child that is not in a cage!  And he is not even one of ours.".
The younger brother points to the cages around:  "Paying for crimes is our way, but there is an end to the debt.  If they are taken to the West will they return?  Paying for crimes is our way, never have we sold ours to others."
The older brother shakes his head, unsettled.

Slowly, the dark clouds pass overhead, moving past the dell, obscuring the light, turning the late afternoon into early night-time.  Looking up, the Viglunding men keep on kicking dirt into the fire, to put it out.

When Bern places his hand on Berangar's shoulder and talks of chasing away the enemy that deceives the heart, the older brother looks up again, and grins:  "Oh!  A renegade?  Have you come to give insight into the ways of the vile Beorn?  To help us defeat him?".

____________

Encounter
TOTAL SUCCESSES: 4 vs. FAILURES: 0 
Bern - 1 bonus die - 4 successes -
Berangar - 1 bonus die -
Kemendil - 0 bonus dice -
Dinaethion - 1 bonus die -
Bés - 1 bonus die -
Ulfaar - 0 bonus dice -
Shalronel - hiding
Andwise - in hiding?

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:51, Mon 23 May 2016.

Bern Asheye
 player, 422 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Mon 23 May 2016
at 05:32
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bern was getting angry with the words of the brothers, his fingers clutch Berangar shoulder in anger.

He needed to understand more despite his anger so he kept a keen ear and tried to understand the hidden current between the pair.

"This is the second time you have insulted me and my friends by assuming who and what we are." he speak in a low growl "We are no renegade nor blackguards but a group of free people on our own business... we offered you our help and our good words with the people of lands."

He motions at Bes "This is master Bes child of Balin a well renowned person in the halls under the mountain. We offer you an oppertunity to not only to say nay to the dark emissary but to forage new alliance and perhaps even peace."

"An offer is still foul if one need to give a child no matter if he is of your blood or not and you know it so."

OOC:
Took 1 dice from Bes ---> very poor round for us
08:19, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 5 (1 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 1 (Feat Die), 2, 1, 1.  Inspire.
08:19, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 17: a success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 9 (Feat Die), 1, 2, 5.  Insight .
I guess it is a tad too late to invoke Trusty :)

Loremaster
 GM, 1462 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Mon 23 May 2016
at 06:09
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
The older brother faces Bern, and he too seems to be getting angry:  "And we have told you we needed no help, and bid you be on your way...  but relented and invited you to speak.  And then told you we needed no help, but relented and bid you share drink and food with us before being on your way.  So, how may I make it clear, that we ask for no help, need no help, thank you very much for your offer of help but turn it down.  No help is asked for, needed, required, desired, nor accepted.  So, please desist from this line of thought, and share food and drink, or we will sadly get tired of this envoy of Bard's court and feel that he is pursuing something of his own..."

Bern's feeling is that the younger brother is not happy at all about handing some child over, and that, seeing how he reacted, the child is not of Viglunding blood.

Note:
I guess it is a tad too late to invoke Trusty :)
Yes, sorry.  Normally Traits are invoked before rolling, to get an ordinary success (and not roll the dice).

____________

Encounter
TOTAL SUCCESSES: 4 vs. FAILURES: 1 
Bern - 1 bonus die - 4 successes - 1 failure
Berangar - 1 bonus die -
Kemendil - 0 bonus dice -
Dinaethion - 1 bonus die -
Bés - 0 bonus dice -
Ulfaar - 0 bonus dice -
Shalronel - hiding
Andwise - in hiding?

Bern Asheye
 player, 423 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Mon 23 May 2016
at 06:32
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
"Enough!"

Bern slams his spear butt on the ground "I have heard enough of this folly, listen to me and listen well child of Viglund, you have ignored your kin warning, you have ignored your people plight and you ignored our offer of aid..."

Bern take a step forward his ash colored eyes burning "Know this the child you seek is under the protection of the high elves, the dwarves of the lonely mountain and all free people of the land..."

"For if you make this unhallowed alliance the name of Viglund seed would be earased from this land an memory in no three score of years, so I foretell!"

OOC:
Use Dinaethion bonus dice
09:32, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 21: a great success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 9 (Feat Die), 2, 6, 2, 2.  Awe.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:38, Mon 23 May 2016.

Loremaster
 GM, 1463 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Mon 23 May 2016
at 07:14
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)


As Bern slams his spear butt on the ground and speaks out, once again his voice grows loud and deep and reverberates across the dell, and he seems to grow.
All the Viglunding seem to duck their heads and cower for a couple seconds, even the members of the Fellowship  are shaken up by the power Bern's words, as he puts his hand on Dinaethion's shoulder, as he mentions that the place is under the protection of the high elves - to give his speech more weight.

OOC:  to use the bonus die.

In the darkened dell, under the black storm clouds, as lightning and thunder flash and boom to the East, all remain motionless.

Then, the older brother snaps right back, and points to Bern's helm, yelling: "Magic!  Foul mind-bending magic!".
His knuckles grow white as he grips his axe, ready to strike...  but he manages to keep his cool, and points to Bern.
"I invited you here, despite my desire that you be-gone, I invited you to share food and bread, despite the fact you turned us down and refused to partake...  so I will not break the sacred laws of hospitality."
All the Viglunding look around, and stare at Bern - ill at ease.
The older brother pursues: "I now ask you to leave us and depart, you who refused our desire not to have you here.  You who uses vile magic to win sway over our minds."

All the Viglunding, even the younger brother, look at Bern, wondering--  yet they all grip their weapons.

The older brother calls out:  "Be-gone you who wish to curse the seed of Viglund.  Be-gone you who are no longer welcome here.  Be-gone!".

____________

Encounter
TOTAL SUCCESSES: 5 vs. FAILURES: 1 
Bern - 1 bonus die - 5 successes - 1 failure
Berangar - 1 bonus die -
Kemendil - 0 bonus dice -
Dinaethion - 0 bonus dice -
Bés - 0 bonus dice -
Ulfaar - 0 bonus dice -
Shalronel - hiding
Andwise - in hiding?
____________

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:15, Mon 23 May 2016.

Bern Asheye
 player, 425 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Mon 23 May 2016
at 19:02
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
"be ready for anything..." Bern spoke softly to his friends.

He mellowed his voice, growing tired as he spoke "Tis is not a curse but a foretelling of what may happen, tis is a gift or curse bestowed on my bloodline."

He bows his head "We will heed your request and be gone... I beg of thee to listen to my foretelling and not ignore it... and now we will collect our missing companion the child whom is under our care and leave you."

"Come to us Mr. Rumble..." he calls "Tis is time we leave this place and go our own affairs."

OOC:

Use last dice
22:02, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 29: a great success with the Gandalf Rune using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 12 (Feat Die), 5, 2, 6, 4.  Persuade.

Loremaster
 GM, 1466 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Mon 23 May 2016
at 21:23
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
The older brother steps back, and looks around.
The Viglunding are looking around too, to one another, to their leaders.
The younger brother seems lost in thought...
All seem to be thinking.

It is obvious you may leave with no problem as the Viglunding move aside to let you pass.

The dark clouds have covered more than the dell now, moving out to the West.
All black around.  The rain seems still a bit to the East.


____________

Encounter
TOTAL SUCCESSES: 6 vs. FAILURES: 1 
Bern - 0 bonus die - 6 successes - 1 failure
Berangar - 1 bonus die -
Kemendil - 0 bonus dice -
Dinaethion - 0 bonus dice -
Bés - 0 bonus dice -
Ulfaar - 0 bonus dice -
Shalronel - hiding
Andwise - in hiding?

Kemendil
 player, 133 posts
Tue 24 May 2016
at 02:59
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
"Let us gather friend Andwise and shuffle off. I will then keep watch on this curious meeting of theirs from hiding if I can." muttered Kemendil to his friends.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:00, Tue 24 May 2016.

Andwise Rumble
 player, 431 posts
Tue 24 May 2016
at 10:13
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@LM,
Loremaster
 GM, 1467 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Tue 24 May 2016
at 10:51
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@Andwise
>
Bes, child of Balin
 player, 451 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Tue 24 May 2016
at 19:59
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bés warily eyes the approaching storm. "I mislike this storm and talk of a 'dark envoy'," she murmurs to her nearby companions. "One who can conjure foul weather employs dark arts indeed."
Andwise Rumble
 player, 432 posts
Tue 24 May 2016
at 21:13
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@LM.
Loremaster
 GM, 1469 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Tue 24 May 2016
at 22:10
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bés looks up at the skies...
Loremaster
 GM, 1471 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Wed 25 May 2016
at 20:48
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
You look at one another for some minutes, hesitating as to what to do:  leave, move to the cages, call for Andwise, continue talking to the brothers...

OOC:  Encounter over.  You got 6 Success, but with 2 special magic enhancements, so it is an Extraordinary Success (quite needed, since you started very low on the scale of things!) - 1 Failure, and the Tolerance was 3, thanks to Berangar's Helm (otherwise it probably would have been 1) to that is fine.

When, suddenly, the younger brother cries out: "Enough!  Let us not risk ruin and desolation as Pale-Eyes from Dale says.  Why make ties with unknown Messengers of Mirkwood?  I say we stand by our traditions...".
He walks over to a cage, and opens the door - before his brother can react - and pulls a man out:  "I use my right to have this man serve me for his year of penance.  To serve a VIglunding and then be one of our brothers once again, his blood-debt paid."  He looks at the man:  "What say you?  Will you serve me--  or would you rather be sent out West to toil and labor?".
As the man nods and starts to answer, the older brother rushes over, cutting him off:  "We have made the deal, given our word.  The criminals are to pay their debt for our clan serving our Ally!".
But some of the Viglunding, looking at the younger brother, move to open cages--  while others, looking at the older brother, move to block them.
Hearing this, the guards on the hill start moving down towards the dell.
Ulfaar
 player, 51 posts
 Man of the Lake
 Bowyer
Thu 26 May 2016
at 00:27
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Watching the events unfold Ulfaar trys to position himself where he can take bow shots if necessary, "What now Bern?" he says in a low voice.
Loremaster
 GM, 1474 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Thu 26 May 2016
at 19:55
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
The younger brother has the man he freed from the cage come out and stand behind him.
He looks at his older brother:  "I call upon our clan's rules, and take this man as my servant, with his agreement, to pay his blood-debt to his folk", before looking out at the men in the dell:  "All who wish to see our kin remain with the clan, and be called brothers and sisters once again, rather than disappear somewhere in the West... all who wish to obey the ancestral laws:  take a criminal under your care".
Some of the men start to move around--

But the older brother calls out:  "As the eldest son, I carry my father's voice, and I say that any who help these criminals in getting away from the blood-debt the clan has imposed upon them, any who make them renege on the word and bond of Viglund...  will be considered criminals too!".

Under the dark sky, totally covered in black clouds from East to West now, in the near darkness - now that the Viglunding finished putting out the last embers of the fire - the clansmen have nearly all moved into the dell, abandoning their guard duties...  and they stand face to face, about split in half, in two groups - one backing each brother.

The tension is high.

An internecine fight is about to explode.
Bern Asheye
 player, 428 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Thu 26 May 2016
at 21:27
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
When time passed and no Andwise appeared Bern sighed, he had hope the hobbit would come out or give them a sign that he was well.

For now the attention was not on them so he allowed himself to whisper to his friends "It would appear we are on the path to bloodshed. I am not eager to meddle any more in the affair of other people but my guts tell me we must stand with the younger brother and make the elder see wisdom one way or another."
Andwise Rumble
 player, 434 posts
Fri 27 May 2016
at 10:16
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@LM,
Loremaster
 GM, 1475 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Fri 27 May 2016
at 11:18
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@Andwise
Berangar
 player, 459 posts
Tue 31 May 2016
at 03:19
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
"Aye, Bern; I would not e inclined to meddle, but, one brother here stands against the Shadow, and such a stand deserves our support.  I sense he knows us, yet spoke not against us," Berangar replies, his voice pitched low to his companions.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:19, Tue 31 May 2016.

Bes, child of Balin
 player, 454 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Tue 31 May 2016
at 17:25
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bés confers quietly with her comrades. "If a link there be 'twixt the gathering storm and this ally of whom the Viglundings speak, all here may be in grave danger. Only the most potent of evils can bend nature to herald or disguise its passing."
Dinaethion
 player, 40 posts
 High-elf scholar,
 artificer & smith
Tue 31 May 2016
at 18:45
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Dinaethion appears lost in thought, lips pressed tight and brow furrowed.
Kemendil
 player, 134 posts
Tue 31 May 2016
at 18:57
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
"Will it not be wise then, friend Bes, to survey such evils as do creep hither before choosing to get caught in this crossbattle, which I believe shall not be speedily lost if we venture a brief absence?"

The Ranger shot quizzical glances at her and Bern, looking on as well against hopes of the Hobbit popping up somewhere just about his waist. He missed his scouting comrade.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:35, Wed 01 June 2016.

Bern Asheye
 player, 429 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Tue 31 May 2016
at 21:16
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bern shakes his head "I agree with Berangar... we see good people trying to make right faced with the enemy. We need to support them and give them aid not lurk in the shadows and watch."
Loremaster
 GM, 1479 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Tue 31 May 2016
at 21:37
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Dinaethion is thinking hard...

And the others are still wondering what to do, but most going against Bés' counsel to leave, preferring to remain and put a name on this so-called ally of the Viglunding, and maybe help the younger brother.

The tension is still high, and the two brothers and the men on each of their sides are ready to get into battle and bloodshed...  it seems anything can set a spark to this tinderbox--
--when, all of a sudden, running over the top of the hill, and towards the dell below, something appears, calling out:  "He iss coming, massterr, he iss coming!".
The thing calling out like that is a Goblin, dressed in human garb, with one of the Viglunding metal collars around its neck, and a chain running from it to a stout man - one of Vigund's kin - that is running along behind, like a master behind its over-excited hound.
The Goblin starts down the hill, excitedly waving its arms:  "He iss coming, massterr...", as he looks at the Older Brother.
Older Brother, who steps back from his Younger Brother, and looks up at the Goblin--  before calling out to all: "Prepare to greet our Honored Guest, and let us keep our quarrels for later and more private times."

Andwise Rumble
 player, 436 posts
Wed 1 Jun 2016
at 14:13
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@LM,
Loremaster
 GM, 1480 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Wed 1 Jun 2016
at 16:26
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
The Goblin, pulling on its chain, like a dog yanking its leash, comes down the hill, pulling the Viglunding along behind it, and then enters the camp, moving towards the Older Brother, calling out:  "Massterr, massterr... he iss coming!".
The Older Brother smiles, and calls out:  "Well spoken, Saviga", and he tosses a piece of smoked meat to the Goblin, that grabs it, and starts dancing around as it munches away, grinning and showing its teeth.
The Older Brother laughs at its antics...  and then, as his laughter ceases, the whole camp is silent.
Waiting.
Bern Asheye
 player, 430 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Wed 1 Jun 2016
at 19:03
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bern anger flares when he spots the goblin, he had enough of people dealing with the shadow and his fury rose again.

If he was not under the banner of guest he would have slay that goblin where it stood.

Instead he turns to the younger of the brothers "The time is short, if you make your stands against the Shadow you will have my spear to back you up."
Loremaster
 GM, 1481 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Thu 2 Jun 2016
at 01:08
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
The younger of the brothers looks at Bern for a second or two...  then speaks out as he turns towards his brother - yet Bern feels the answer is meant for both himself, Bern and the Fellowship, and the older brother:  "Yes, let us keep our quarrels for later and more private times."
Then, facing his older brother, the man pursues:  "Let us stand together, and keep the Clan united:  let none of our own leave with this...  Ally, of out father's.  Only hand him the little one of the Halflings and I will be totally at your side."
You see the older brother thinking this over...  but you feel he will agree.
Andwise Rumble
 player, 437 posts
Thu 2 Jun 2016
at 09:11
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@LM,
Bern Asheye
 player, 431 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Thu 2 Jun 2016
at 19:40
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
"Nay..." Bern shakes his head "If you give to the shadow one soul it matter not if it is your kin or some innocent travler you stand with the enemy."

Bern ease his tone but he signal his companions to be ready "Men of Viglunding the shadow is not your ally ... stand fast and bold before the dark and say Nay, we will not go to the dark we will not trade our souls for naught!"
Ulfaar
 player, 54 posts
 Man of the Lake
 Bowyer
Thu 2 Jun 2016
at 23:51
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Watching the goblin come running down the hill, it is all Ulfaar can do to restrain himself from shooting it.  However he takes time during all the commotion to place his bow in his left hand and casually grab an arrow.  While not knocked, he is ready to arm and shot.
Berangar
 player, 460 posts
Fri 3 Jun 2016
at 10:29
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
"Aye, the Shadow is ever full of treachery.  Those who take it as ally find it will turn upon them in the end.  Trust rather in the steadfastness of free folk who would aid you willingly."


OOC:  If possible, Berangar will invoke his Trustworthy trait. 

Bes, child of Balin
 player, 457 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Fri 3 Jun 2016
at 20:29
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bés adds her words to Berangar's. "Indeed, and in the wisdom of your heart. The misgivings of many among you speaks volume."



16:28, Today: Bes, child of Balin rolled a total of 10 (9 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 5 (Feat Die), 4, 1.  Appeal To Viglundings (Persuade or Inspire). +4 for Stiff Neck makes this a success.
Loremaster
 GM, 1483 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Sat 4 Jun 2016
at 08:23
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
As Bern, Berangar, and Bés speak up, the Older Brother calls out:  "We are not selling our souls to anyone!  And these so called Free Folk say they come to give their aid willingly, but no one asked for their 'help'.  And what help?  They sneak around our camp, spy on us, then, when caught, they force their way in, spit upon the rules of hospitality by refusing to leave when asked...  we use great restraint to remain calm--"...  suddenly, he stops, and starts to laugh, as the Goblin named Saviga starts to imitate Bern, wrapping some dirty straw around its head and strutting around on the end if its leash, calling out:  "Men of Viglunding, do not fear your own shadow like we do!  Men of Viglunding stand fast and bold in the dark and quiver not in fear like we do!".
But the Younger Brother is not laughing, and seems lost in thought...

This message was last edited by the GM at 08:23, Sat 04 June 2016.

Loremaster
 GM, 1486 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Sat 4 Jun 2016
at 18:21
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
...when, the Younger Brother snaps out of his thoughts, looking to the top of the hillock, to the East.

Then, the Goblin named Saviga stops his antics, and spins around, pointing, whispering: "He isss come!".

As all look to the side of the dell, you see, under the dark clouds covering the area, a man - clad in ink-colored cape and armor - mounted on a steed with a black coat.
Though the man's face is hidden by a beautiful and ornate helm, all feel he is looking straight at them.

Thunder booms a mere couple of miles away.


Bern Asheye
 player, 434 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Sun 5 Jun 2016
at 06:30
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bern was about to strike the goblin when his eyes trail to the East.

He feel a shudder as the dark form appear gripping his spear "To arms..." he calls his friends "the enemy is upon us..."

To the younger brother he says "Look at the servant of darkness, what boon would it give you save the cold chain of slavery. Strike your chain now and we will be at your side!"

OOC
I am going to invoke Old Lore to know this is a very dangerous and powerful servant of the shadow

Loremaster
 GM, 1489 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Sun 5 Jun 2016
at 06:50
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
The Older Brother raises his arm in a gesture of victory:  "See, our Ally makes our opponents quake and fear!".

The Younger Brother looks from Bern to his brother to the ominous figure eerily staring down from the hilltop.

Bern stares at the dark figure, and he remember the old lore, the ancient stories, handed down from generation to generation...  and what comes to mind is the story that was only told in whispers, with fear that it might somehow summon these beings if spoken too loud:  the Dark Lord himself had servants, most unhallowed and trusted, he kept close to him.  Shapeless wraiths that are said to be able to wear robes or suits of armour to assume a shape when they must have dealings with the living, and present themselves at the gates of Men, Elves or Dwarves to carry out their Lord’s will.  These Wraiths are said to wield many powers dark and terrible.  The words come to Bern's mind, and you all hear him mutter them without realizing it:  "Nine rings he gave to Mortal Men, proud and great, and so ensnared them."
The name comes to Bern:  Ringwraiths!  Yes, he thinks: "long ago they fell under the dominion of the One, and they became Ringwraiths, shadows under his great Shadow, his most terrible servants."
But Bern shakes his head:  can it be?  The rider is far away, hard to see in detail.  Most probably some vile brigand chief all dressed in ebony colored garb.
Bern Asheye
 player, 435 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Sun 5 Jun 2016
at 08:15
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bern shook his head, the shadow of the older brother seem to rule these men and non of them took his offered help three time in a row.

Master Rumble had not come forward, thus Bern had to assume the brave hobbit has long left this place and now they were all faced with terrible danger.

"Come..." he tells his friends as he slowly retreat the opposite way the ringwraith approaches "we can not help those who refuse to help themselves that would cower in the shadow." with that he begins to leave the vale.

"We have much to report and it is crucial this report will arrive to the free people."

The last he adds in soft words only to his friends ears.
Andwise Rumble
 player, 439 posts
Sun 5 Jun 2016
at 12:28
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@LM,
Bes, child of Balin
 player, 460 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Sun 5 Jun 2016
at 17:44
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
In reply to Bern Asheye (msg # 132):

Bés shakes her head. "We cannot leave without doing battle. The Enemy has revealed itself to us."
Dinaethion
 player, 44 posts
 High-elf scholar,
 artificer & smith
Sun 5 Jun 2016
at 18:16
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
"I share the Dwarf's resolve in this, though it may be foolhardy," remarks the Noldo. "I cannot withdraw and still name myself an Enemy of Sauron." Dinaethion then addresses the Viglundings. "Our quarrel is not with you or your people. Stand aside and we shall not harm any."



14:19, Today: Dinaethion rolled a total of 11 (11 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 2 (Feat Die), 5, 4.  Awe. Drat. Might not be worth bumping to a success, seeing as it would be ordinary rather than great or extraordinary.

Enemy of Sauron — All creatures of any kind recognise you as an enemy of Sauron. His servants fear you, and will avoid confronting you, unless confident in their superiority. When facing the proof of the presence of the Enemy, you cannot refrain yourself and must take action. I really have no choice without going against a major facet of D's personality.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:26, Sun 05 June 2016.

Kemendil
 player, 140 posts
Sun 5 Jun 2016
at 18:19
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
"Then so shall I, if it is the will of my comrades- strive I shall, even unto death!"
Bern Asheye
 player, 439 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Sun 5 Jun 2016
at 18:37
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bern grip his spear in dismay as his friends seem to have gone all insane, yet he must try to enter some sense into them "Will you perish here in a meaningless duel instead of carrying such enermous news back home? that the ringwraith are awake again and roam the land. That they make alliances with the men of the east... is your hubris more important than the free folk?"

He shakes his head "I will not let you die alone but I tell you now, the news we carry are more important than a meaningless death... live to fight another day and have our people know of the danger and be ready for it."
Dinaethion
 player, 46 posts
 High-elf scholar,
 artificer & smith
Sun 5 Jun 2016
at 18:53
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
"Would you retreat from a battle you had sworn to fight, Master Barding?" Dinaethion asks Bern. "Such an oath may require you sacrifice your life, but it need not." The Noldo hefts his great spear and prepares himself. "That you mistake the vow I have taken for hubris is your own failing, not mine."
Bern Asheye
 player, 440 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Sun 5 Jun 2016
at 20:52
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
"If the battle was pointless and more lives would be save if I gave warning yes I would lord Elf." Bern reply his gaze turning stern "and to place one oath before the lives of all Free people that is the very essence of hubris."

He points his spear at the approaching rider "We have time to give warning before the choice is taken from us, I will charge with you or retreat to give warning to the rest of Free people of this dire threat. What is more important to you sir elf, your oath or the lives you may save by giving warning?"
Loremaster
 GM, 1491 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Sun 5 Jun 2016
at 23:16
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
The Younger Brother grips his weapon, obviously torn.

As you exchange hurried words, and make calls to the Viglunding, you see that some people in the camp are a bit at a loss and looking to the younger brother...

The rider starts to move down the hill, slowly but steadily making his way towards the dell, when, all of a sudden, the rider stops his horse, and stares at your group--  he seems to first look at Dinaethion, then to Bern, then back at Dinaethion.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:16, Sun 05 June 2016.

Ulfaar
 player, 55 posts
 Man of the Lake
 Bowyer
Sun 5 Jun 2016
at 23:26
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Grabbing a few arrows from his quiver Ulfaar sticks them in the ground in front of him, and nocks one and takes a draw.  "Well my comrades what be it fight or flee?"
Bern Asheye
 player, 442 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Mon 6 Jun 2016
at 06:21
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bern take a step toward the rider lifting his spear in the air "You are not welcomed here! back to the shadow that begat you!" he shouts at the thing.
Dinaethion
 player, 47 posts
 High-elf scholar,
 artificer & smith
Mon 6 Jun 2016
at 21:08
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
"Your earthly raiment avails you not against eyes which see the unseen," says the Noldo, leveling his great spear at the fiend. "This spear I bore throughout the War of the Last Alliance, even to the very Battle of Dagorlad. Mark it well, Úlairë."
Andwise Rumble
 player, 442 posts
Tue 7 Jun 2016
at 09:14
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@LM,
Loremaster
 GM, 1495 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Tue 7 Jun 2016
at 09:59
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
As Ulfaar prepares his arrows, the Viglunding warriors glance at him, and move their hands to their weapons.

Bern steps forward and shouts at the rider to be gone, while Dinaethion calls out that he can truly see the rider's guise.
One spear is raised to the sky, the other leveled at the rider.

The Older Brother spins towards those two:  "What?  What are you doing?!".
Meanwhile, the rider, hissing - a rather non-human hiss - knees its horse, and starts to turn to make its way back up the hill, warily looking over its shoulder, scanning the people below.
So, the Older Brother turns to the rider to the rider:  "Wait...".

Just then, you hear a scream, and turn to see, near some cages, none other than Andwise, who just stabbed a Viglunding warrior who was squatting down, looking up at the rider.
Two other Viglundings, obviously surprised, stand beside the hurt man, near the cages.
The stabbed man falls to his knees.

___________
Viglunding - hit for 5 END

Andwise Rumble
 player, 443 posts
Tue 7 Jun 2016
at 10:46
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
As the Viglunding collapses, Andwise grabs a squirming bundle and turns to run, "Beware, they have the missing child from the inn, we swore to find"
Loremaster
 GM, 1496 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Tue 7 Jun 2016
at 11:15
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
As Andwise turns to run, and calls out, with his bundle in hand, all look around, and see what is going on.

Then...

The Viglunding Andwise hit, grabs his spear and gets up.
The two Viglunding beside him, both throw their spears at Andwise...

On the hill, the Dark Rider spins his horse back, and lets out a scream, looking down at Andwise:   "Stop!", he glances around, checking which way to move.

The other Viglunding look to the two brothers to see what to do.
The Older Brother sees and hears Andwise, and turns to Bern:  "One of yours?!  You attack your Hosts!".  He seems furious, but still able to hold to the tenets of hospitality, and has not tried to strike you.

OOC:  Andwise attacked from surprise (surprise action) and then, as all reacted to the scream, and turned to see what was happening, Andwise grabbed something (his action while all reacted, since he knew what was going on).
Now, we move into Combat, so can you all (who wish) please roll for Combat as you look around and try to gain some advantage, then declare what you wish to do, if it is fighting, state your Stance and make your roll, if you believe it will involve some skill (Stealth, Athletics, Awe...) please make your roll too (we can always change the roll etc., but his will probably gain time).
Since "you" initiated the fight, the opponents get to go first--  but most are waiting to see what is happening.

___________
Andwise -
Berangar
Bern
Bés
Dinaethion
Kemendil
Shalronel
Ulfaar

Viglunding 1 - hit for 5 END - stands up
Viglunding 2 - threw spear ]
Viglunding 3 - threw spear]

Bern Asheye
 player, 444 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Tue 7 Jun 2016
at 11:54
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bern turn toward the elder brother spear turned toward him his fury burning bright and strong "Is this true? have your kind degraded into kidnapping innocent babes to have the shadow feast upon?"

He shook his head "Call your men off, we will not break your hospitality but if anyone dare to interfere with the halfing or the child non of you will remain alive to tell of your sins."

OOC:
Me think this is an awe check???
14:53, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 19: a success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 9 (Feat Die), 1, 4, 5.  Awe.

Bes, child of Balin
 player, 462 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Tue 7 Jun 2016
at 19:35
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bés grips her long-hafted axe in both hands and moves to place herself between Andwise and any who would pursue him. "Leave off your folly, men of Viglund, else I'll give you reason to regret it."



15:13, Today: Bes, child of Balin rolled a total of 16: a great success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 8 (Feat Die), 6, 2.  Combat Advantage (Battle). That's two bonus dice for moi. Didn't even need my Stiff Neck bonus.

15:32, Today: Bes, child of Balin rolled a total of 9 (9 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 5 (Feat Die), 4.  Give Men Pause (Awe). +4 for Stiff Neck makes it a 13, so very close. Will spend Hope if Bern's success with Awe is not enough.

Dinaethion
 player, 48 posts
 High-elf scholar,
 artificer & smith
Tue 7 Jun 2016
at 21:00
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
"Your task here has failed, Úlairë! Begone," Dinaethion grimly tells the Ringwraith, interposing himself between Rider and the company, "or face the wrath of a son of Gondolin!"



16:42, Today: Dinaethion rolled a total of 14: a success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 5 (Feat Die), 4, 5.  Combat advantage. One bonus die for D.
16:43, Today: Dinaethion rolled a total of 5 (1 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 1 (Feat Die), 3, 1.  Awe. Damn. I should have invoked Grim for an automatic success. Can I spend that bonus die now? I stand a 83% chance of getting close enough that an attribute bonus will bump me above 14.
Loremaster
 GM, 1503 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Thu 9 Jun 2016
at 03:40
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Round 1

Andwise, holding the child, simply runs for it, bursting into the open and making straight for his companions, not taking time to look around or assess the terrain.
The two spears thrown by the Viglunding miss - one barely passing over his head, having the Hobbit thank his parents for not having fed him too much soup, which would have made him taller, and, thus, maybe dead! - as their target simply dashes off.

OOC: gave you Rearward TN12 for running off, plus your Parry of 4 for 16 total- best Spear roll was 15

As the other fellows look around, assessing the situation, they see that Andwise is about half way to them.

Shalronel slips her bow off her back, and steps up beside Ulfaar, who has his arrows at ready.

Kemendil pulls his hood over his head...  and, when you look back, seems to have slipped off into the night, or some such thing, for you do not see him standing where he was.


Bern turns towards the elder brother and threatens him with his spear, calling him to let them leave with the child...  and his words carry much weight, as the helm he wears makes Bern appear lordly.

OOC:  Bern rolled a 19, but remember that you "enjoy a free bonus of 2 x Wisdom to all Awe rolls" from the Helm--  thus a very high TN (but only a simple success).


Bés, long-hafted axe in both hands, moves towards Andwise - who is racing towards the group - and covers half the remaining distance to the Hobbit, calling out to the three Viglunding Andwise just fled, summoning Dwarven resolve to make her voice carry:  "Leave off your folly, men of Viglund, else I'll give you reason to regret it."
Her grim demeanor gives weight to her words.

OOC:  used a point of Hope to make it a success - since not aimed at the same person/people as Bern.


As for Dinaethion, he takes a few steps, so as to be facing the Dark Rider, and standing between him and the Company  he calls out to him, ordering the fell creature to be gone--  but it seems his voice is covered somewhat by Bern and Bés, and by the three Viglunding yelling at Andwise.


___________

Andwise - 0 bonus dice - running, half way to his Fellows
Berangar - 1 bonus dice -
Bern - 1 bonus die - Awe vs. Older Brother
Bés - 2 bonus dice - Awe vs. Viglunding after Andwise / moved half way to Andwise
Dinaethion - 1 bonus die - orders Dark Rider to leave
Kemendil - 0 bonus dice - (not seen) TN 20 - 1 Hope spent
Shalronel - 1 bonus die - ready to shoot
Ulfaar - 0 bonus dice - ready to shoot

Viglunding 1 - hit for 5 END - stands up
Viglunding 2 - threw spear and missed
Viglunding 3 - threw spear and missed

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:45, Thu 09 June 2016.

Andwise Rumble
 player, 448 posts
Thu 9 Jun 2016
at 16:15
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Still with seeming disregard for his own safety,despite the closeness of death from the Viglunding spears, Andwise keeps up his headlong flight towards his friends. One hand grips the hilt of 'Spit' the other a small halfling child. Seeing the noble Bes striding meaningful towards him he directs his movement towards the grim looking Dwarf.
"The child...El...the inn...Shanker" he yells between gasps of exertion
Loremaster
 GM, 1505 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Fri 10 Jun 2016
at 06:37
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Round 2

Andwise, holding the child, simply runs for it, bursting into the open and making straight for his companions, not taking time to look around or assess the terrain.
The two spears thrown by the Viglunding miss - one barely passing over his head, having the Hobbit thank his parents for not having fed him too much soup, which would have made him taller, and, thus, maybe dead! - as their target simply dashes off.

As the other fellows look around, assessing the situation, they see that Andwise is about half way to them.

Bés, long-hafted axe in both hands, moves towards Andwise - who is racing towards the group - and covers half the remaining distance to the Hobbit, calling out to the three Viglunding Andwise just fled, summoning Dwarven resolve to make her voice carry:  "Leave off your folly, men of Viglund, else I'll give you reason to regret it."
Her grim demeanor gives weight to her words.

The two Spear-throwing Viglunding stop in their tracks, staring at Bés', hesitating.
However, the man Andwise stabbed with "Spite" gets to his feet, and, screaming his fury, throws his spear at Andwise--  and the weapon flies true, smacking Andwise in the back, the leaf-shaped blade biting deep into the Hobbit's armor...

OOC:  Andwise takes 5 END damage and must make a TN 14 Protection roll to avoid being Wounded (!)

Still with seeming disregard for his own safety and the blow he just received, despite the closeness of death from the Viglunding spears, Andwise keeps up his headlong flight towards his friends.  One hand grips the hilt of 'Spite' the other a small child.
"The child...El...the inn...Shanker" he yells between gasps of exertion, his breath short after being hurt by the spear.
Seeing the noble Bés striding meaningful towards him, he directs his movement towards the grim looking Dwarf-- passing right past and behind Bés, reaching the group of Fellows.

Shalronel slips her bow off her back, and steps up beside Ulfaar, who has his arrows at ready.

Berangar remains without truly acting, taking in the surroundings, the lay of the land, the position of the warriors...

Kemendil pulls his hood over his head...  and, when you look back, seems to have slipped off into the night, or some such thing, for you do not see him standing where he was.

Bern turns towards the Older Brother and threatens him with his spear, calling him to let them leave with the child...  and his words carry much weight, as the helm he wears makes Bern appear lordly.

The Older Brother stares at Bern, and takes a step back, bowing his shoulders slightly, seemingly at a loss...

As for Dinaethion, he takes a few steps, so as to be facing the Dark Rider, and standing between him and the Company  he calls out to him, ordering the fell creature to be gone--  but it seems his voice is covered somewhat by Bern and Bés, and by the three Viglunding yelling at Andwise.

The Dark Rider sees Andwise running with the bundle in hand, yelling about what he is carrying, and he motions his powerful horse down the hill, riding down to the edge of the bottom, the level area you are all in.
He calls out to the brothers:  "Honor your deal, sons of Valiant Viglund!", but no one truly listens to them, as all are trying to make sense of what is going on, and seem to be hesitating, knowing they are standing on the verge of pure havoc.

___________

Andwise - 0 bonus dice - hit for 5 END - made the TN14 Protection test (Hope spent) - reached his Fellows [ACTED]
Berangar - 1 bonus dice - Awe on the Viglunding [ACTED]
Bern - 1 bonus die - Awe on the Brothers [ACTED]
Bés - 2 bonus dice - standing between Andwise and the 3 Viglunding, defending Andwise [ACTED]
Dinaethion - 0 bonus dice - moved to attack Rider, Hope spent, passed tests [ACTED]
Kemendil - 0 bonus dice - grabs Older Brother [ACTED]
Shalronel - 1 bonus die - follows Ulfaar [ACTED]
Ulfaar - 0 bonus dice - Hope spent (?) [ACTED]

Viglunding 1 - hit for 5 END - threw spear
Viglunding 2 - hesitating
Viglunding 3 - hesitating
Older Brother - hesitating
Dark Rider - moved down to the plateau

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:42, Sun 12 June 2016.

Bern Asheye
 player, 448 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Fri 10 Jun 2016
at 08:31
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bern stood tall, he had lived all his life under the shadow of the drake, he would not cower from another mythical being.

"Bes, Berangar please secure master Ramble and his precious charge, Ulfaar, Shalronel cover them from any treachery. Lord elf, make sure that abomination doesn't interfere with us."

Bern turn his ash gaze to the brothers "Take your men and Leave before your folly becomes un-redeemable."

OOC
Final score is 23 with a great success
11:31, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 17: a great success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 5 (Feat Die), 6, 2, 4.  Awe of brothers.

Kemendil
 player, 145 posts
Fri 10 Jun 2016
at 12:16
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Having disappeared from sight, Kemendil suddenly reappears behind the Older Brother, having obviously crept up upon him unseen.
The Ranger lunges to grab Older Brother by the shoulders with one arm, bringing his blade to the man's throat with the other.

"Pay heed, ye all sired and shepherded by the hand of great Viglund, thusly shall your lord perish, if you do not yet desist and keep yourselves from the loathsome thrall of the Shadow, which shall but lay waste to all you hold precious
."

OOC: spent 1 Hope - 20 on the Athletics roll

This message was last edited by the player at 13:05, Fri 10 June 2016.

Dinaethion
 player, 50 posts
 High-elf scholar,
 artificer & smith
Fri 10 Jun 2016
at 20:16
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
"There is no honour in serving the Shadow, men of Viglund," shouts Dinaethion over the clamor of voices. "It seeks only slaves, and likes most those who do so willingly!" He charges at the Ringwraith and thrusts mightily with his great spear.



15:57, Today: Dinaethion rolled a total of 21: an extraordinary success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 7 (Feat Die), 6, 2, 6.  Great spear, open stance + bonus die. Base damage + twice Body =  9 + (2 x 7) = 23 END! Oh, and remember that D has Might of the Firstborn, and can cancel one expenditure of Hate each round with a successful test versus TN 10 + Attribute

This message was last edited by the player at 20:21, Fri 10 June 2016.

Loremaster
 GM, 1509 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Fri 10 Jun 2016
at 21:39
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Dinaethion shouts over the clamor of voices and charges through the Viglunding warriors and around the cages, racing towards the Rider.
Though there is heavy cloud cover, blocking out the sun, because of the storm that is coming in from the East, you know that it is still day time in this Spring evening, and light still comes in from low along the horizon to the West, where the sun can still be seen, off across the Anduin, towards the Misty Mountains.
As you approach the Rider, and distinguish - with your High Elven sight - the pale Wraith-like face of the Ghost behind the helm, you feel that this is a good thing, and that he would be more powerful, much more, in the Darkness that he is now part of.  You understand that you do not wish to face him at Night.
Simply moving towards the Ringwraith, your mind flashes to the fact that is one of the Enemy's greatest lieutenants, even if he is maybe but a minor one of the Nince... but what if he is not?  And who are you to face the Evil lineage of Melkor?  This is truly a creature of Terror, Darkness begat in Darkness.

OOC:  TN 14 Fear Test (Feat die + Success dice in a number equalling your Valour rating)

As your charge brings you close to this Rider, clad in its black raiment, atop its powerful black steed, you feel as though the shadows under the dark clouds grow thick around it.  The air is stale, even fetid, as though the Rider were breathing out wisps of black breath...  and you wonder if this will somehow engulf you, cut you off from your cherished starlight, make the skies forever black.

OOC:  TN 14 Corruption Test (Feat die + Success dice in a number equalling your Wisdom rating)
Bes, child of Balin
 player, 466 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Sat 11 Jun 2016
at 17:05
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bés continues to place herself bodily between Andwise and the Viglundings.



OOC: Defensive stance, using Defend to safeguard Andwise.
Berangar
 player, 464 posts
Sun 12 Jun 2016
at 03:15
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
"Stand down, Viglundings!" Berangar bellows, squaring his shoulders and interposing his massive frame between the hobbit and the Viglundings.  "Be not cowards that would hide behind the sacrifice of a child to the empty promises of the Shadow!  Stand instead defiant with the Free Peoples."


OOC: 22:38, Today: Berangar rolled a total of 23: an extraordinary success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 6 (Feat Die), 5, 6, 6.  Awe.

Ulfaar
 player, 56 posts
 Man of the Lake
 Bowyer
Sun 12 Jun 2016
at 12:28
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Ulfaar draws back an arrow and aims it at the older brother waiting for the attack to begin, or to talk their way out of it.  "Fear me Viglundings for I am an Archer of Esgaaroth-stay your hands or feel one of my black arrows."

OOC:  Trying to help add some more confusion  with

<Orange>08:27, Today: Ulfaar rolled a total of 12 (12 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 6 (Feat Die), 6.  Awe check
</Orange>
Shalronel
 player, 362 posts
Sun 12 Jun 2016
at 13:46
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Shalronel steps up beside Ulfaar, drawing back an arrow too, that she aims at the older brother:  "And Fear me too, for I am an Archer of Mirkwood's Elven Kingdom-stay your hands or feel one of my green arrows."  She seems to force herself to look more menacing and have a deeper voice, while keeping her face hidden under her cowl.

15:40, Today: Loremaster, on behalf of Shalronel, rolled a total of 12 (9 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 5 (Feat Die), 4, 3.  Awe w. Ulfaar.
Hope spent to add 5 Body and get a success

Loremaster
 GM, 1524 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Thu 16 Feb 2017
at 09:51
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
To at least post some form of ending, here are some notes on what was happening, what might have happened, and the overall scheme of things...

Your Company was on its way back from their adventures in the Greydelve, to warn Beorn that the old Dwarf holding was filled with two Orcs tribes and some Trolls, and that the heirs to the Dwarven  Throne were mad Petty Dwarves - like Frár, of the line of Flár - that had gone so far as to ally with Orcs - like Fledi, of the line of Flen.  That this lineage was probably cursed when brother killed brother, when Flen and Flár murdered Flor.

In the Upper Anduin Vale, East of the River, you happened upon a group of Viglunding in a camp.
They were led by Viglar son of Viglund, with his slave and councilor, Saviga the Goblin (whispering Dark words in his ear, controlling him more than a mere slave should) - and another, younger, son of Viglund was there too.
The elder being more bellicose and ripe for falling into the Shadow because of his hatred for Beornings and desire to reclaim what land he, like his father, believe is his.
The younger brother seeming honorable, respectful of his word and of traditions, and either an open enemy, or at least wary, of the Shadow.

While Andwise stealthily entered the camp, the others scouted it and approached, but had to reveal themselves and face the Viglunding that wanted them to be gone.
You soon understood, as even the weather changed to darkness and storm in the East where Mirkwood lies, that an ominous guest was expected here…  who soon arrived:  a Dark Rider on a Dark Horse, but who, beneath his helm, showed a pale Wraith-like face.
One of the Nine.
Indeed, although he is one of the “weakest”, or more accurately “less powerful”, he is a formidable foe, being The Messenger of Mordor.

Now, the Viglunding had prisoners, that you had met before, who were to be brought to Viglund, to determine their fate.  They were of the family of one who had committed cold-blooded murder, and then fled, thus they were to compensate the loss of the murdered one, by serving as laborers or such - basically slaves for a certain duration - as per the weregild laws.
One of these was a young woman, who was set up, from the first encounter, to be a possible love-interest for young Berangar.  Since he wished to have a family, and a holding of his own…

But there was one other prisoner there too, a toddler, that Andwise spotted, and tried to steal from the Viglunding guarding him:  this was none other than the baby that survived the very first Orc attack when all these adventures started, although its Woodman father was killed ; and who was later abducted from the Hobbit Inn while you were saving the caravan in the Misty Mountains.
It turns out that, unbeknownst to you, the entire Orc attack, that was led by a Messenger of Lugburz (or Messenger of Barad-dur, the Dark Tower) was aimed not at destroying the Inn or wanton violence, but at finding the baby and taking it.
That was the Orc with a red stylized eye symbol.

This direct assault having failed, thanks to you, an Evil man was sent, this Shanker you crossed paths with, and who posed at the inn as a passing wanderer, but who killed Milo Roper, your Hobbit companion, and took the child.

The child was called El, and was the youngest born of Hardgar and Winnea.  Originally from Rhosgobel but who had moved to help build the inn and decided to remain there.

Wounded, Shanker was unable to travel South into Mirkwood, to Dol Goldur, and died while the child was taken by small Vigluding slaver-raiding party.
It took time for the envoys of Mordor to locate it, and then negotiate, but the exchange has been agreed upon by Viglund, who will thus ally himself with these people who bring him great weapons and help to move upon Beorn, in exchange for some mere little kid…

But many Viglunding see what is happening, that this is falling into Darkness, losing soul and freedom, and are against this choice.  And the younger son is one of these, the one who would be their leader if it came to that.

Thus, in the camp, as the Dark Rider enters, and you attack it, with Dinaethion charging, the Viglunding still stand divided, with half behind the elder brother, happy to gain power whatever the cost, the others, standing with the younger brother, ready to fight against what they see as a road to perdition and losing their freedom in the end.

However, since some directly threaten Viglar, the elder brother, with Ulfaar and Shalronel aiming their bows at him, and Kemendil putting his dagger to the man’s throat from behind…  will the Viglunding actually all come together to fight Your Company, to save their kin, forgetting their divide for now?

And how will Dinaethion fare against the Nazgul?

As for Andwise, will he be able - covered by Bés and Berangar - manage to reach his comrades and escape with the bundle he is carrying, that is none other than the baby boy from the Inn?  As least Dinaethion stopped the Dark Rider from going straight for Andwise.

In the fight that was about to erupt, or just starting, the Messenger of Mordor would fight Dinaethion, but only to be rid of him and try to get the bundled baby from Andwise, and keep on hunting you down if it was unable to do so and you got away with it.

The Viglunding were about to all come together again and forget their differences for the moment, and fight to get Viglar free - even if they might then quarrel again as to the dealings with the Dark Rider (Viglar still wanting to deal him, and his brother openly refusing to do so when if it actually comes to it).

It seems like a rather harsh situation, and could have seen the demise of some of the Company.
Mainly facing the Viglunding, who would not let Kemendil go after having brought steel to their leader’s throat.
But it does seem that Andwise and some others would have gotten out with the baby, the Ringwraith being at least stalled by Dinaethion, maybe defeated or pushed back?

It seems probable that it would then have been a race South, towards Beorn’s hold, with the baby (or, if the dice went bad, without the baby that then would be left behind), facing some Viglunding maybe giving chase, and the Nazgul trying to get allies to stop you.

The end of the Adventuring Phase would most probably see the Company (either all of them, or those that made it) at Beorn’s, with the baby (but maybe without) and with these tidings of the Evil being strongly on the rise, even showing its face:  corrupting Dwarves and taking over the Greydelve, thus now having a strong post to disrupt or even block commerce on the Northern Road ; and the Nazgul being back…

You would be safe with Beorn, with no immediate danger in his lands, thanks to him and the Beornings.

During the Fellowship Phase, Beorn would confer with Radagast, probably sending for him (to not endanger the baby by sending it to Rhosgobel) and the Wizard would start trying to find out why the Eye wishes so badly to capture this newborn Woodman.
Beorn (and Radagast) would also send out messengers and scouts, to try and see the extent of what is actually happening, and find out that if, yes, there is mustering in Dol Goldur, the Messenger of Mordor Ringwraith seems to actually have come from Angmar.  Could it be that that place is no longer destroyed and barren?

Thus, the following Adventuring Phase could have seen you going back to the Viglunding, in case you had left some of the Company behind (for revenge if dead, to free if left as prisoners)?
Maybe going to explore Dol Goldur in the South of Mirkwood?
Depending on your wishes…
What I was aiming for - to have either then, or else happen later - was to have you move West of the Anduin Vales (thus moving through Viglunding lands) and run a variation on Nightmares of Angmar from the book Ruins of the North.
To not spoil that adventure, if you are to play it, it would have seen you (in my adapted part) trying to ally with some of the Viglunding (to lessen the chance they all go to the Shadow as allies, and help the Eye gain all the North of the land above and around Mirkwood, and put direct pressure on Beorn), and then moving West, around Mount Gundabad, into Angmar and Carn Dûm where the Witch King used to rule, and Evil seems to be stirring again.

The outcome could have seen you discovering and being accepted in Rivendell, by one Master Elrond.

During the next Fellowship Phase, with what you had discovered in Angmar, and with what Radagast had gathered (most probably with help from Gandalf and the Great White Wizard Saruman), you would now know that the child El (which in Quenya means Star) was sought by Sauron because of his astrological birth and his long-time ascendants.

Now, I am not a fan of astrology, so do not know that much about it, and it is not much used (I think) by Tolkien…  however I thought it could be interesting as a metaplot.
Thus the underlying idea is that this child was born when the sky stars were in a very special alignement, that only happens every X years.  I had several ideas down, linked to 11 (which in TOR is the Eye):  for example that this happens only every 11 times 11 generations.
And that child, through his father, was the heir to an important historic figure.
Also, El was the youngest, and, it was said he had many siblings, and some also died young too, thus he as the 11th child.
One possibility was that the child was linked (heir of) Isildur (that would be 11 times 11 generations, of 24 years each).
Another choice I was looking into was Tar-Antanami, a King of Numenor who was the first to go against stepping down before death, and did not respect the ban of the Valar, and is the one that started the decline of the Numenor…

The idea was that there was the little baby boy, whose lineage (with some configuration of 11’s) said that he would do Great things, and who was born on day in which the unique star alignement (also with 11’s) said the same…  but for whom it is unclear what he would:  Great Good, Great Evil (like Isildur:  help in slaying Sauron, or give the Ring back to the Shadow…) and that Sauron wanted him young to groom him as a Servant of the Shadow and make him do Great Evil, or else kill him.
So it would then be important to keep him from the Enemy, get him back…  and maybe find out if he had a role to play or not, and what it might be (he would be in his mid 70’s at the time the Ring is destroyed by Frodo…  but if Sauron got him, would things go that far?).

So, sorry for having such a long post, but I wanted to give an idea of the overall journey I had in in mind, and some kind of closure, or answers.
And especially sorry for dropping out on you guys.
With several physical problems post-accident, and all the other issues (namely money via work) I even got quite depressed.  Now I am back up and running, and things are getting better, but I still need some time to be - hopefully - good and have time and such.
At least thanks for the great players, and super posts, that you were and did.

All my best…

Oh, and here is the image I had selected for the young lady slave, the daughter, who was to possibly become the wife of her savior Berangar


Dinaethion
 player, 65 posts
 High-elf scholar,
 artificer & smith
Thu 16 Feb 2017
at 19:40
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
I did not expect D to get through the encounter with the Ringwraith unscathed, but much would depend on whether or not his Spear Of The Last Alliance counted as enchanted and thus could actually harm the wraith.
Bes, child of Balin
 player, 482 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Thu 16 Feb 2017
at 20:25
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
I for one was actually looking forward to seeing a PC mix it up with a Nazgûl.
Loremaster
 GM, 1525 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Fri 17 Feb 2017
at 08:07
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
D. is immune (if I remember it correctly) to Fear effects from Undead and thus the Nazgul, which removes a lot of power (no failed Fear rolls, and that Nazgul has 2 or 3 Fear "attacks" I think).
So, the main question is succeeding in a Corruption Test... or not!  (if Failed you are out of the game)  It is the Dark Breath effect, that knocks you out for a long while.
After that, you do not need an enchanted weapon (unless it is a weapon specifically enchanted to fight such enemies, a Bane weapon vs. Mordor).
"A Ringwraith suffers damage normally in combat, but is not defeated when reduced to zero Endurance. Instead, the Nazgûl loses half its current Hate and becomes Craven (it flees if reduced to zero Hate). Nazgûl cannot be Wounded except by weapons especially wound with spells for the bane of Mordor."
And the Nazgul are still "weak" (well, less strong) at this moment in time.
My feeling is that with D.'s avoiding all Fear effects, it means he has a fair fighting chance...  hard to gauge, but a good chance for sure.