004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)   Posted by Loremaster.Group: 0
Bern Asheye
 player, 409 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Tue 17 May 2016
at 07:46
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bern waits patiently looking and listening to the other group debate "Of course we will move on but first, let us parley some... the road is long and dangerous full of perils and us travelers need to band together to share news and warning of dangers."

OOC:

10:45, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 13 (9 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 3 (Feat Die), 6, 2, 2.  Persuade.
10:45, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 12 (6 if weary): a failure with the Eye of Sauron (complications) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 11 (Feat Die), 3, 3, 6.  Insight on the men.

Horrible rolls, I'll spend a hope to turn the Persuade into a great success.

Loremaster
 GM, 1441 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Tue 17 May 2016
at 08:09
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
When Bern talks of parley, you see that the group, that seems split - the two that were urging you to go before nightfall and jokingly talking of coming with you vs. the other two ; with the "leader" trying to calm both parties - start quarreling again, and you get the idea that all will depend on who you talk with, and they mean someone or "someones" that are not here.
The one who first spoke, after again trying to calm his people down, motions you to leave fast:  "Not a good day for parley."
Then, when you mention the road and sticking together, one of the two that told you to move out before the night calls out:  "The road is less dangerous than here right now!".
And his friend adds, looking at the other two Viglunding he is quarreling with:  "Instead of banding together, we invite perils into our own home".
The other two start yelling at him, and the four - two vs. two - seem ready to exchange blow.
The "leader" has to step in between them, and waves to you:  "Not much news to share, but I can warn of dangers for you if you stay.  Just go, now...".
Bern waits patiently looking and listening to the other group debate "Of course we will move on but first, let us parley some... the road is long and dangerous full of perils and us travelers need to band together to share news and warning of dangers."

OOC:  not bad rolls, 13 and 12.  I'll have both count as successes, and thus count the 6's, with a TN of 12, seeing how they all are quite riled up and not very guarded.
Bern Asheye
 player, 410 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Tue 17 May 2016
at 08:34
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Again Bern watch in silence as the event unfolds.

"Please friends there is no need to quarrel." he says in a pleading voice "I am Bern of Dale, together with some friends we set out on this voyage. We are no brigands nor mercenary but simple travelers our dwarf friend is a trader."

He waits for the leader to introduce himself "We have gold and are looking for new merchandise to procure."

After a heartbeat or two he adds

"Beside, if there is peril here than how can I in good faith leave my new friends to fend for it alone?"

"Come my friends, share with us your woes."

OOC
Figure there would be a need for a new Persuade roll to convince them that two elves, ranger of the north a fierce looking Beorning are harmless folks :)

11:32, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 15 (9 if weary): a success (failure if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 9 (Feat Die), 3, 1, 2.  Insight .
11:32, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 15 (13 if weary): a success (failure if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 4 (Feat Die), 4, 2, 5.  Persuade.

Andwise Rumble
 player, 425 posts
Tue 17 May 2016
at 09:35
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@LM,
Kemendil
 player, 125 posts
Wed 18 May 2016
at 04:59
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)


LM
Loremaster
 GM, 1444 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Wed 18 May 2016
at 05:31
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
You see that the 'leader' is only the one in charge of this scouting-tracking group, and not the one who can make a decision.
As he listens to Bern, and hesitates--  the Viglunding who had left, returns, with another half a dozen armed Viglunding.
They confer rapidly with the 'leader' here, and then escort you to the South-East, towards the camp, so you can take up your demands and questions with the ones in charge.

They guide you without hostility, simply keeping a close eye on you.
You hear that the newcomers are discussing something too, like the others, and that there seems to be two groups:  one in favor of something that is to happen this night, or at least happy to obey ; and the other that feels this is not something they should do.

A couple of the Viglunding eye Berangar, and Bern... and Shalronel, and you wonder if they were not part of the group you met earlier!

It is late afternoon as you come to an incline, like a small hill - the same place Kemendil saw before - that you approach from the North-West.
You go up to the top of the hillock - passing some guards -, and spot a little camp in a dell below:  men, people who look like Beornings, but with their hair tied in topknots - you know these are all Viglunding.
There are about three dozen total - including the guards, and the ones escorting you -, all men, all in arms, around some fires in the center.
Wooden cages- that were transported by cart it seems - are set up around the fire, with people locked within.

Down below, two Viglunding who seem to be the leaders - one a bit younger than the other - were arguing.
The younger one is the one Shalronel wounded.

The 'leader' motions you to go on down...
Bern Asheye
 player, 412 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Thu 19 May 2016
at 11:09
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Well this was not what they wanted but still they were here now and must make the best of all.

"Be ready for violence..." he cautions his fellows as he start heading down toward the Viglunding leaders.
Loremaster
 GM, 1445 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Thu 19 May 2016
at 14:51
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
You make your way down into the Viglunding camp, walking along, with your ponies - Peony and Marigold.

You are in a dell, a small depression surrounded by a circle of low hillocks.
In the center, a place where fire-wood has been burnt, but, although the group does not seem ready to leave, the fire is being let die.
Spread out around, in a kind of circle, the sturdy wooden cages- sized to fit on the back of horse-carts - contain people.
There are about six cages.  With, as far as you can tell, two or three people per cage.
Just outside the "ring" of cages, you see a pile of wooden beams, that must be used to lift the cages and secure them on carts.

You see that there must be a half a dozen Viglunding moving around the hill-top or beyond, spread out and on the look-out.

Another half-dozen depart the camp once you have arrived, and seem to go make some kind of scouting tour.
Hearing an infant make some noise, you see that one of them is with a toddler.

Then, about a dozen men are "resting" - eating, sitting around, cleaning their weapons... - while another dozen are at arms and guarding the camp.

The two men you come up to, the ones designated as the leaders, are two strong and tall Viglunding.  It is pretty obvious, once close, that these are brothers - or at least cousins - for they look quite alike.  One is a bit younger, and he is the one who was badly wounded when you met him last.
You see he is healing well, but does actually still have some bandages under his leather jerkin.

OOC:  so, tell me how you wish to approach them - and if you wish for one to speak for all of you etc.?
Bern Asheye
 player, 414 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Thu 19 May 2016
at 18:39
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bern make sure the elf helm he found was set right on his head, he had take the effort to clean it while they were on their way and now he thought it would provoke the awe he needed. It could also provoke the Viglunding to attack for various reasons but it was a chance worth taking.

As he saw who they were approaching he whispered "Make sure Shalronel is hidden among us and a hood covers her face."

He give a short bow of respect to the pair of leaders, knowing this would be a tricky encounter at best. "We are well met, I am Bern of the Dale and these are my companions."
Kemendil
 player, 128 posts
Thu 19 May 2016
at 18:58
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
In reply to Bern Asheye (msg # 74):

Kemendil doubly tried to ensure Shalronel's concealment by standing tall in front of her, shielding her from those before them.

I invoke Tall.
Loremaster
 GM, 1446 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Thu 19 May 2016
at 22:25
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Shalronel bends over a bit, and pulls the hood over her fiery red hair, and remains hidden behind the tall Ranger.

OOC:
@Kemendil:  smart move re. Tall!
@all:  all can make an Insight roll, to try and see what is going on here, and gain bonus dice for the Encounter.
@Bern:  so, you have taken point and are the Spokesperson here - unless others want to step in talk too, but then it is more of a free for all.
So, for me, your opening lines are more along the lines of a Courtesy roll, not really Awe - so, I would ask for a Courtesy roll, unless you were aiming for Awe, in which case you should change what you say, into something more Awe-like...

Bern Asheye
 player, 415 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Thu 19 May 2016
at 22:44
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bern give a bow waiting for the leaders response.

OOC:

01:41, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 10 (9 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 5 (Feat Die), 4, 1.  Courtesy.
01:40, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 24: an extraordinary success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 8 (Feat Die), 4, 6, 6.  Insight .

I'll spend a hope point to turn the failed Courtesy to a success (assuming 16 is a success) :)

Sure thing, Bern think the helm would be good for Awe but he start with courtesy that being more ahm polite :)

Everyone please feel free to jump in

Berangar
 player, 455 posts
Fri 20 May 2016
at 02:38
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Berangar stands firm beside Bern, hands resting lightly upon his weapons, while his eyes sweep the site, trying to take in and make sense of what these men are doing here.

OOC:

22:19, Today: Berangar rolled a total of 27: a success with the Gandalf Rune using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 12 (Feat Die), 5, 5, 5.  Insight.

Wow!  That's about as high a roll as I can get w/o hitting a great success!  Did get a Gandalf, though!  :)

I need to check on Berangar's Noble Armor, too. 

Kemendil
 player, 129 posts
Fri 20 May 2016
at 03:15
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Insight roll failed miserably.
Loremaster
 GM, 1448 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Fri 20 May 2016
at 05:53
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bern glances around, taking in the dynamics of what seems to be going on here - two groups of people, with opposing thoughts, among the Viglunding ; the fact that these two leaders seem to be brothers... yet are arguing - and calls upon his inner energy to sound calm and courteous while introducing himself.

OOC:  Hope point spent - success.
Great Insight roll, you have 3 bonus dice. Can only use 1 per roll, but can "give" some to others - by narrating how.


As Berangar looks around he sees that the Viglunding are admirative of his armor made of beautiful lacquered leather, yet that the fact he is a Beorning makes them wary, especially the older of the two leaders.  Also, of course, you feel that this is quite obviously not a good moment to be bothering them.

OOC:  Funny roll, yes! 2 bonus dice, only one from roll, plus one from armour.
When wearing Noble Armour at an encounter you receive one free Encounter advantage bonus die. Additionally, your Valour and Wisdom scores enjoy a bonus of +3 as far as calculating Tolerance is concerned.
I counted your extra die from Armour so it gives you 2 dice - and, since Tolerance most often is counted using the highest of Valour or Wisdom, it will probably be based on yours - since you have 6 Wisdom - 5 Valour for Encounters.
You probably feel that it is your Valour that will be the basis, since this is a martial group... but, who knows?


____________


Note:  Everyone please feel free to jump in
Just remember that if you actively participate (not Insight rolls, but ones like Courtesy, Awe etc.) and you fail, your failure adds to the tally of how many failures you can have before the Tolerance rating is reached - and the Encounter is over.

Encounter
TOTAL SUCCESSES: 1 vs. FAILURES: 0
Bern - 3 bonus dice - 1 success -
Berangar - 2 bonus dice -
Kemendil - 0 bonus dice -
Dinaethion - 1 bonus die -
Bés - 1 bonus die -
Ulfaar - 0 bonus dice -
Shalronel - hiding
Andwise - in hiding?

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:09, Sat 21 May 2016.

Andwise Rumble
 player, 426 posts
Fri 20 May 2016
at 12:23
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
LM,

Ulfaar
 player, 50 posts
 Man of the Lake
 Bowyer
Sat 21 May 2016
at 13:40
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Failed!. Ugh....


09:39, Today: Ulfaar rolled a total of 8 (3 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 3 (Feat Die), 3, 2.  Insight roll.
Loremaster
 GM, 1454 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Sat 21 May 2016
at 19:43
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
The older of the two faces Bern, with a neutral look, and then speaks: "It is good, Bern of Dale, that you come ask for our authorization to travel these lands.  Yes, I grant you passage, in the name of my father, Viglund.  Go now, you may travel!".
He waves his arm dismissively.

____________

Encounter
TOTAL SUCCESSES: 1 vs. FAILURES: 0 
Bern - 3 bonus dice - 1 success -
Berangar - 2 bonus dice -
Kemendil - 0 bonus dice -
Dinaethion - 1 bonus die -
Bés - 1 bonus die -
Ulfaar - 0 bonus dice -
Shalronel - hiding
Andwise - in hiding?

Bern Asheye
 player, 416 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Sat 21 May 2016
at 22:23
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
"I thank you for that..." Bern says with a respect "... but I must ask, your man has spoken about danger in this place. What sort of danger lies in this place and is there a way we may assist?"

OOC:
Spends 1 of the bonus dice
01:22, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 16 (11 if weary): a great success (failure if weary) with the Eye of Sauron (complications) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 11 (Feat Die), 3, 5, 6, 2.  Persuade.

Loremaster
 GM, 1455 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Sun 22 May 2016
at 00:03
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
The man turns towards the younger leader, and addresses him:  "You talk of danger?  To foreigners!  There is no danger, I tell you.  And how did you meet these to talk to them did--".
He suddenly stops, and looks at the whole group:  "All kinds together:  Beorning, Dwarf, Elf...", and puts his hand on his axe:  "Are these the ones that wounded you?!".
Eyeing Bern:  "If you are a kin-slayer, if you are the ones who attacked my brother, I wish no assistance from you, and assistance you will need against me!  Besides, there is no danger here, thank you."

At the same time, a slight shiver comes to all, and you shake of this cold feeling...  then, glancing rapidly at the skies, you spot a dark cloud-front rolling in from the South-East, like some Summer storm.


The younger leader looks from Bern, to the whole group, to his brother...  and is about to speak.

OOC:  do you wish to intervene before him, or let him speak first?

____________

Encounter
TOTAL SUCCESSES: 2 vs. FAILURES: 0 
Bern - 2 bonus dice - 2 successes -
Berangar - 2 bonus dice -
Kemendil - 0 bonus dice -
Dinaethion - 1 bonus die -
Bés - 1 bonus die -
Ulfaar - 0 bonus dice -
Shalronel - hiding
Andwise - in hiding?

Bern Asheye
 player, 417 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Sun 22 May 2016
at 05:49
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bern eye burn with anger he stand taller his voice grow stronger "Watch your accusation, I am Bern of the Dale man of King Bard. Never will I strike my kin nor my king." words all true.

"My offer of aid come from open heart now enough with this subterfuge what is this dark terror you all cringe about."

OOC:
Use Awe +1 extra dice
08:48, Today: Bern Asheye rolled a total of 17: a success (same result if weary) using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 1 (Feat Die), 5, 4, 5, 2.  Awe.

Loremaster
 GM, 1456 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Sun 22 May 2016
at 08:52
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
As Bern's eye burn with anger and he stands taller...  he truly does, or, at least, as all his Fellows, who have traveled with him for some time now, glance at him, are startled, for you have never heard him speak in such a manner.  Truly, he seems greater and more awe-inspiring than ever!  And then, as he stops talking...  you blink, and he is back, the Bern you have always known.

OOC:  in dice-terms, Bern's success of 17 is actually a 23.


The man take a step back, and bows his head for a brief moment:  "I do not wish to sully our relationship with Dale.  We are glad to trade with your fine town, and you and yours are always free to travel through our lands."

As you speak of "dark terror", you see that his younger brother looks at you, and glances around... exchanging a look with some of the Viglunding.
But, as you say those words, the man you are speaking to, the older brother, takes a step forward again:  "No terror here, and nothing dark.  Also, we are not ones to cringe.  No, indeed we are not." He stares at you:  "And, though I have the greatest respect for your Lord and King, I would, in my travels to his land...", he raises his voice and stands tall:  "neither be one to meddle in his affairs, or try to influence how his family and councilors conduct their affairs".
Bern - and the Fellowship - are startled by how impressive he does suddenly seem.

OOC:  a simply success of Awe (with a roll of 20).

Just then, the younger brother steps forward, and lays his hand on his older brother's shoulder.

"Those are not my assailants.  The one who struck was an Elf, but from the woods, and a female.  And their Dwarf...  err... had no beard.  And the Beorning had a grey beard."

_______

NoteNever will I strike my kin - When he said kin-slayer, he meant his kin, his brother (since he is wondering if you are not the group who attacked - which you did - his brother) ; sorry if not clear..

____________

Encounter
TOTAL SUCCESSES: 3 vs. FAILURES: 0 
Bern - 1 bonus die - 3 successes -
Berangar - 2 bonus dice -
Kemendil - 0 bonus dice -
Dinaethion - 1 bonus die -
Bés - 1 bonus die -
Ulfaar - 0 bonus dice -
Shalronel - hiding
Andwise - in hiding?

Loremaster
 GM, 1458 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Sun 22 May 2016
at 10:13
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
However, as all are startled by how impressive the older brother seems--  and then are surprised by the strange words of the younger brother, who is indicating a different group than yours...  Bern steps forward, and repeats his last words, again with his strangely awesome voice: "Enough with this subterfuge!  What is this dark terror you all cringe about?"
Except that his already powerful voice seems to grow stronger and stronger, booming out across the entire dell, reverberating off the hillocks.
Also, Bern seems to grow in stature, to seem nearly a foot taller, and his face appears so mighty and lofty, that even you, his comrades and Fellows, slightly bow your heads before him...
The Viglunding leaders both drop a knee to the ground, as silence falls across the dell - no one, not one of the guards, speaks. nor chatters.  All the Viglunding bow their heads and face Bern.
The older Viglunding mutters:  "We await our new Ally, to give him what he requested in exchange for his help.  Yet some here" - and he flicks his eyes towards his younger brother - "fear this alliance and do not trust the Dark Envoy, wishing we do not deal with him".

At the same time, the dark clouds move over-head, approaching the dell, about to block out the late afternoon light.
In the distance, a flash of lightning illuminates the horizon...

For a few seconds, nothing happens.

Then a clap of thunder--  and the Viglunding, all start to move around and talk as before, while the two brothers stand up again, facing Bern.  They glance around...

"Do...  do you wish to sit and share a drink, or a morsel of food?", asks the older brother.  "You... you are our guests."

____________

Encounter
TOTAL SUCCESSES: 3 vs. FAILURES: 0 
Bern - 1 bonus die - 3 successes -
Berangar - 2 bonus dice -
Kemendil - 0 bonus dice -
Dinaethion - 1 bonus die -
Bés - 1 bonus die -
Ulfaar - 0 bonus dice -
Shalronel - hiding
Andwise - in hiding?

This message was last edited by the GM at 10:14, Sun 22 May 2016.

Andwise Rumble
 player, 427 posts
Sun 22 May 2016
at 12:58
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
LM,
Berangar
 player, 457 posts
Sun 22 May 2016
at 15:00
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Berangar keeps a friendly but guarded demeanor with the Viglundings, standing all the while shoulder to shoulder with Bern to emphasize support of his brother.  During the pause created by the clap of thunder, he leans close and whispers to Bern. 

OOC:  Standing side by side with Bern, is that sufficient to lend him one of my bonus dice, if need be?