004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)   Posted by Loremaster.Group: 0
Kemendil
 player, 134 posts
Tue 31 May 2016
at 18:57
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
"Will it not be wise then, friend Bes, to survey such evils as do creep hither before choosing to get caught in this crossbattle, which I believe shall not be speedily lost if we venture a brief absence?"

The Ranger shot quizzical glances at her and Bern, looking on as well against hopes of the Hobbit popping up somewhere just about his waist. He missed his scouting comrade.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:35, Wed 01 June 2016.

Bern Asheye
 player, 429 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Tue 31 May 2016
at 21:16
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bern shakes his head "I agree with Berangar... we see good people trying to make right faced with the enemy. We need to support them and give them aid not lurk in the shadows and watch."
Loremaster
 GM, 1479 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Tue 31 May 2016
at 21:37
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Dinaethion is thinking hard...

And the others are still wondering what to do, but most going against Bés' counsel to leave, preferring to remain and put a name on this so-called ally of the Viglunding, and maybe help the younger brother.

The tension is still high, and the two brothers and the men on each of their sides are ready to get into battle and bloodshed...  it seems anything can set a spark to this tinderbox--
--when, all of a sudden, running over the top of the hill, and towards the dell below, something appears, calling out:  "He iss coming, massterr, he iss coming!".
The thing calling out like that is a Goblin, dressed in human garb, with one of the Viglunding metal collars around its neck, and a chain running from it to a stout man - one of Vigund's kin - that is running along behind, like a master behind its over-excited hound.
The Goblin starts down the hill, excitedly waving its arms:  "He iss coming, massterr...", as he looks at the Older Brother.
Older Brother, who steps back from his Younger Brother, and looks up at the Goblin--  before calling out to all: "Prepare to greet our Honored Guest, and let us keep our quarrels for later and more private times."

Andwise Rumble
 player, 436 posts
Wed 1 Jun 2016
at 14:13
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@LM,
Loremaster
 GM, 1480 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Wed 1 Jun 2016
at 16:26
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
The Goblin, pulling on its chain, like a dog yanking its leash, comes down the hill, pulling the Viglunding along behind it, and then enters the camp, moving towards the Older Brother, calling out:  "Massterr, massterr... he iss coming!".
The Older Brother smiles, and calls out:  "Well spoken, Saviga", and he tosses a piece of smoked meat to the Goblin, that grabs it, and starts dancing around as it munches away, grinning and showing its teeth.
The Older Brother laughs at its antics...  and then, as his laughter ceases, the whole camp is silent.
Waiting.
Bern Asheye
 player, 430 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Wed 1 Jun 2016
at 19:03
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bern anger flares when he spots the goblin, he had enough of people dealing with the shadow and his fury rose again.

If he was not under the banner of guest he would have slay that goblin where it stood.

Instead he turns to the younger of the brothers "The time is short, if you make your stands against the Shadow you will have my spear to back you up."
Loremaster
 GM, 1481 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Thu 2 Jun 2016
at 01:08
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
The younger of the brothers looks at Bern for a second or two...  then speaks out as he turns towards his brother - yet Bern feels the answer is meant for both himself, Bern and the Fellowship, and the older brother:  "Yes, let us keep our quarrels for later and more private times."
Then, facing his older brother, the man pursues:  "Let us stand together, and keep the Clan united:  let none of our own leave with this...  Ally, of out father's.  Only hand him the little one of the Halflings and I will be totally at your side."
You see the older brother thinking this over...  but you feel he will agree.
Andwise Rumble
 player, 437 posts
Thu 2 Jun 2016
at 09:11
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@LM,
Bern Asheye
 player, 431 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Thu 2 Jun 2016
at 19:40
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
"Nay..." Bern shakes his head "If you give to the shadow one soul it matter not if it is your kin or some innocent travler you stand with the enemy."

Bern ease his tone but he signal his companions to be ready "Men of Viglunding the shadow is not your ally ... stand fast and bold before the dark and say Nay, we will not go to the dark we will not trade our souls for naught!"
Ulfaar
 player, 54 posts
 Man of the Lake
 Bowyer
Thu 2 Jun 2016
at 23:51
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Watching the goblin come running down the hill, it is all Ulfaar can do to restrain himself from shooting it.  However he takes time during all the commotion to place his bow in his left hand and casually grab an arrow.  While not knocked, he is ready to arm and shot.
Berangar
 player, 460 posts
Fri 3 Jun 2016
at 10:29
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
"Aye, the Shadow is ever full of treachery.  Those who take it as ally find it will turn upon them in the end.  Trust rather in the steadfastness of free folk who would aid you willingly."


OOC:  If possible, Berangar will invoke his Trustworthy trait. 

Bes, child of Balin
 player, 457 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Fri 3 Jun 2016
at 20:29
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bés adds her words to Berangar's. "Indeed, and in the wisdom of your heart. The misgivings of many among you speaks volume."



16:28, Today: Bes, child of Balin rolled a total of 10 (9 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 5 (Feat Die), 4, 1.  Appeal To Viglundings (Persuade or Inspire). +4 for Stiff Neck makes this a success.
Loremaster
 GM, 1483 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Sat 4 Jun 2016
at 08:23
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
As Bern, Berangar, and Bés speak up, the Older Brother calls out:  "We are not selling our souls to anyone!  And these so called Free Folk say they come to give their aid willingly, but no one asked for their 'help'.  And what help?  They sneak around our camp, spy on us, then, when caught, they force their way in, spit upon the rules of hospitality by refusing to leave when asked...  we use great restraint to remain calm--"...  suddenly, he stops, and starts to laugh, as the Goblin named Saviga starts to imitate Bern, wrapping some dirty straw around its head and strutting around on the end if its leash, calling out:  "Men of Viglunding, do not fear your own shadow like we do!  Men of Viglunding stand fast and bold in the dark and quiver not in fear like we do!".
But the Younger Brother is not laughing, and seems lost in thought...

This message was last edited by the GM at 08:23, Sat 04 June 2016.

Loremaster
 GM, 1486 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Sat 4 Jun 2016
at 18:21
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
...when, the Younger Brother snaps out of his thoughts, looking to the top of the hillock, to the East.

Then, the Goblin named Saviga stops his antics, and spins around, pointing, whispering: "He isss come!".

As all look to the side of the dell, you see, under the dark clouds covering the area, a man - clad in ink-colored cape and armor - mounted on a steed with a black coat.
Though the man's face is hidden by a beautiful and ornate helm, all feel he is looking straight at them.

Thunder booms a mere couple of miles away.


Bern Asheye
 player, 434 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Sun 5 Jun 2016
at 06:30
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bern was about to strike the goblin when his eyes trail to the East.

He feel a shudder as the dark form appear gripping his spear "To arms..." he calls his friends "the enemy is upon us..."

To the younger brother he says "Look at the servant of darkness, what boon would it give you save the cold chain of slavery. Strike your chain now and we will be at your side!"

OOC
I am going to invoke Old Lore to know this is a very dangerous and powerful servant of the shadow

Loremaster
 GM, 1489 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Sun 5 Jun 2016
at 06:50
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
The Older Brother raises his arm in a gesture of victory:  "See, our Ally makes our opponents quake and fear!".

The Younger Brother looks from Bern to his brother to the ominous figure eerily staring down from the hilltop.

Bern stares at the dark figure, and he remember the old lore, the ancient stories, handed down from generation to generation...  and what comes to mind is the story that was only told in whispers, with fear that it might somehow summon these beings if spoken too loud:  the Dark Lord himself had servants, most unhallowed and trusted, he kept close to him.  Shapeless wraiths that are said to be able to wear robes or suits of armour to assume a shape when they must have dealings with the living, and present themselves at the gates of Men, Elves or Dwarves to carry out their Lord’s will.  These Wraiths are said to wield many powers dark and terrible.  The words come to Bern's mind, and you all hear him mutter them without realizing it:  "Nine rings he gave to Mortal Men, proud and great, and so ensnared them."
The name comes to Bern:  Ringwraiths!  Yes, he thinks: "long ago they fell under the dominion of the One, and they became Ringwraiths, shadows under his great Shadow, his most terrible servants."
But Bern shakes his head:  can it be?  The rider is far away, hard to see in detail.  Most probably some vile brigand chief all dressed in ebony colored garb.
Bern Asheye
 player, 435 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Sun 5 Jun 2016
at 08:15
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bern shook his head, the shadow of the older brother seem to rule these men and non of them took his offered help three time in a row.

Master Rumble had not come forward, thus Bern had to assume the brave hobbit has long left this place and now they were all faced with terrible danger.

"Come..." he tells his friends as he slowly retreat the opposite way the ringwraith approaches "we can not help those who refuse to help themselves that would cower in the shadow." with that he begins to leave the vale.

"We have much to report and it is crucial this report will arrive to the free people."

The last he adds in soft words only to his friends ears.
Andwise Rumble
 player, 439 posts
Sun 5 Jun 2016
at 12:28
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
@LM,
Bes, child of Balin
 player, 460 posts
 Dwarf Warden
 Tinker & Trader
Sun 5 Jun 2016
at 17:44
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
In reply to Bern Asheye (msg # 132):

Bés shakes her head. "We cannot leave without doing battle. The Enemy has revealed itself to us."
Dinaethion
 player, 44 posts
 High-elf scholar,
 artificer & smith
Sun 5 Jun 2016
at 18:16
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
"I share the Dwarf's resolve in this, though it may be foolhardy," remarks the Noldo. "I cannot withdraw and still name myself an Enemy of Sauron." Dinaethion then addresses the Viglundings. "Our quarrel is not with you or your people. Stand aside and we shall not harm any."



14:19, Today: Dinaethion rolled a total of 11 (11 if weary): a failure using the The One Ring with a target of 14 with rolls of 2 (Feat Die), 5, 4.  Awe. Drat. Might not be worth bumping to a success, seeing as it would be ordinary rather than great or extraordinary.

Enemy of Sauron — All creatures of any kind recognise you as an enemy of Sauron. His servants fear you, and will avoid confronting you, unless confident in their superiority. When facing the proof of the presence of the Enemy, you cannot refrain yourself and must take action. I really have no choice without going against a major facet of D's personality.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:26, Sun 05 June 2016.

Kemendil
 player, 140 posts
Sun 5 Jun 2016
at 18:19
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
"Then so shall I, if it is the will of my comrades- strive I shall, even unto death!"
Bern Asheye
 player, 439 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Sun 5 Jun 2016
at 18:37
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
Bern grip his spear in dismay as his friends seem to have gone all insane, yet he must try to enter some sense into them "Will you perish here in a meaningless duel instead of carrying such enermous news back home? that the ringwraith are awake again and roam the land. That they make alliances with the men of the east... is your hubris more important than the free folk?"

He shakes his head "I will not let you die alone but I tell you now, the news we carry are more important than a meaningless death... live to fight another day and have our people know of the danger and be ready for it."
Dinaethion
 player, 46 posts
 High-elf scholar,
 artificer & smith
Sun 5 Jun 2016
at 18:53
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
"Would you retreat from a battle you had sworn to fight, Master Barding?" Dinaethion asks Bern. "Such an oath may require you sacrifice your life, but it need not." The Noldo hefts his great spear and prepares himself. "That you mistake the vow I have taken for hubris is your own failing, not mine."
Bern Asheye
 player, 440 posts
 END 28/12 Weary
 Hope 15/11
Sun 5 Jun 2016
at 20:52
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
"If the battle was pointless and more lives would be save if I gave warning yes I would lord Elf." Bern reply his gaze turning stern "and to place one oath before the lives of all Free people that is the very essence of hubris."

He points his spear at the approaching rider "We have time to give warning before the choice is taken from us, I will charge with you or retreat to give warning to the rest of Free people of this dire threat. What is more important to you sir elf, your oath or the lives you may save by giving warning?"
Loremaster
 GM, 1491 posts
 Fate
 Hope
Sun 5 Jun 2016
at 23:16
004b-Shackles in Shambles (end of 2nd adventure)
The Younger Brother grips his weapon, obviously torn.

As you exchange hurried words, and make calls to the Viglunding, you see that some people in the camp are a bit at a loss and looking to the younger brother...

The rider starts to move down the hill, slowly but steadily making his way towards the dell, when, all of a sudden, the rider stops his horse, and stares at your group--  he seems to first look at Dinaethion, then to Bern, then back at Dinaethion.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:16, Sun 05 June 2016.