Call of Chaos - Marienburg Harbor and beyond.   Posted by Storyteller.Group: 0
Storyteller
 GM, 711 posts
Wed 19 Apr 2017
at 08:58
Call of Chaos - Assembly - Altdorf.
In front of the Temple of Sigmar - Sundawn

The sun is warm and the streets are calm, mostly, but a few tired watchmen roaming the streets and eyeing the distance, and a likely shift and nap just up ahead.
The temple square is calm and a few stray birds pick at the soil as one man arrives as agreed.
Elric von Morgenstern:
The rising of the sun caused a flash of light in front of the Grand Temple of Sigmar. For Elric von Morgenstern sat proudly upon Anne-Marie, clad in his full armor, freshly polished. He shone like a beacon in the light of the new day, and none would know it to look at him that he was a Knight disdained by other Knights. Elric hoped it would remain that way when these agents did not know his past. He was not looking forward to traveling with them if they did. Snide comments were surely going to cause problems on the road if they did. And that would be most...unfortunate.

Roderick was nowhere to be found. He had promised to arrive, shortly, as he was to lead the whole ordeal, both for Elric, Osric, Larissa and Albrecht.
Elric notices that he is indeed the first to arrive and has time to greet the lone guard
standing outside the gates of the temple.
On his way he had noticed many sleeping in the streets as the temple itself was crowded beyond limits. It was horrible and one could wonder what the city would do to accommodate as several warehouses and housings had be taken.

This message was last edited by the GM at 09:34, Wed 19 Apr 2017.

Albrecht Zweifler
 Roadwarden, 737 posts
 Ag34 AP: 5(body) 3(rest)
 W17/17 F4/4 SB4 TB3 IP2
Thu 20 Apr 2017
at 05:56
Call of Chaos - Assembly - Altdorf.
Albrecht nodded in greeting at the knight, obviously of the Knights Griffon order and thus very likely von Morgenstern they had heard about.
He did not say anything though.
Osric Jutzenbach
 Sigmarite - Priest, 471 posts
 Agi 38 AP 3(all)
 W11/15 For2/3 SB3 TB4 IP1
Thu 20 Apr 2017
at 11:51
Call of Chaos - Assembly - Altdorf.
A young Novitiate came walking from around the temple, gently leading a horse by its reins. He looked puzzled for a moment before addressing the guard outside "Do you know were Brother Osric is?" he asked puzzled.

Before the guard could answer the door of the Temple of Sigmar swung open and Osric stepped through, holding his backpack in his hands rather then on his back.

"Pardon my lateness, I needed some books from the library. I underestimated the time to retrieve them." he explained himself to Albrecht.

He took the reins form the Novitiate and send him back inside. "Ah, Sigmar provides. Thanks Novitiate for fetching the horse already. You are dismissed."

He eyed the assembled group and raised an eyebrow "It appears that I am not the only one running late. Lord von Morgenstern I presume, I'm Brother Osric Jutzenbach of the Order of the Silver Hammer." he introduced himself formally before securing his backpack on the horse its back.
Elric von Morgenstern
 Knight, 13 posts
 Knights Griffon Templar
 "By talon and steel!!!"
Fri 21 Apr 2017
at 02:55
Call of Chaos - Assembly - Altdorf.
"Sir Elric von Morgenstern, actually. My father still lives, and Sigmar willing, it will be many years before I inherit his lands and titles. For now, I am merely a Templar of the Knights Griffon. Well met, Brother Jutzenbach," Elric replied, inclining his head Priest.

"And who might you be, mein herr?" the Knight asked, turning to Albrecht and returning his nod.

Elric might have gotten himself involved with the Witch Hunters, well known purveyors of secrets and shadows, but the Reiklander was a man of proper etiquette. He would have these agent's names, and treat them with all due courtesy until such time as they proved unworthy of it.
Albrecht Zweifler
 Roadwarden, 740 posts
 Ag34 AP: 5(body) 3(rest)
 W17/17 F4/4 SB4 TB3 IP2
Fri 21 Apr 2017
at 05:41
Call of Chaos - Assembly - Altdorf.
Albrecht raised an eyebrow.
He was not fond of nobles, never had been and probably never would be. Well, the Grimms were possibly an exception but that was due to getting to know Eberhardt while adventuring together.
If he got it all right, then this man wanted to be addressed as templar, and Albrecht had no issue at all with such a minor thing as names.
"I am Albrecht.", he answered plainly, then added for good measure as the man seemed to find these things important, more so than he at least.
"And you may call me Albrecht or, if you prefer, Herr Zweifler.", he glanced at Osric who still called him the latter despite their long journeys together.
Albrecht shrugged, clearly he had no preference himself.
"I am not a Herr though.", he added after a brief pause, "Just a man from the Ostermark."
He had come to learn that especially Reiklanders were particularly proud of their province and thus often wanted to know that information, too. It was not as if his heritage was readily visible, since - as far as he knew anyway - there never had been any relation with Kislevites in his family and so his face did not indicate his provincial origin. Maybe his own malnourished physique was an indication to the templar who obviously had never lacked food at his father's table himself. Good food was rare to come by the further one traveled to the eastern regions of the Empire. And it certainly was not of a quality the noble templar had probably gotten used to. Never mind beverages.
Albrecht wondered why the Sigmarite had been cautious about the templar, to him he seemed an honest enough fellow.

Albrecht glanced about.
"So, anyone know where Senior Witchunter Roderick may be found ?"

This message was last edited by the player at 05:55, Fri 21 Apr 2017.

Elric von Morgenstern
 Knight, 14 posts
 Knights Griffon Templar
 "By talon and steel!!!"
Sat 22 Apr 2017
at 04:38
Call of Chaos - Assembly - Altdorf.
"Well met Herr Zweifler," Elric said, using what he considered to be the proper way to address the man.

In his world, the family name was used until an appropriate level of familiarity and trust extended between the two people. Having just met these men, they were certainly no where near that level yet.

"I just spoke to the man yesterday when I received my orders. He was in the Temple in his private offices, last I saw him. If you wish to have words with the man, I suggest you start there. He made no mention of coming along with us on this journey to me however. I'm sure he is making plans in the shadows, like all his ilk do," the Knight said with a disgusted frown on his face.

"Are you two gentlemen the entirety of our little party? Or are we waiting for others?" he inquired mildly.
Osric Jutzenbach
 Sigmarite - Priest, 474 posts
 Agi 38 AP 3(all)
 W11/15 For2/3 SB3 TB4 IP1
Sun 23 Apr 2017
at 06:53
Call of Chaos - Assembly - Altdorf.
"Frauline Ignatief is about to join us." Osric answered.
When he spoke the last name he glanced at Albrecht to see if he had pronounced it correctly.

Maybe he should call her by her first name, for it was much easier to pronounce. Or maybe he should try to learn Kislevarin, for Kislev was an alley against to four ruinous powers.

"She should be here soon."
Albrecht Zweifler
 Roadwarden, 743 posts
 Ag34 AP: 5(body) 3(rest)
 W17/17 F4/4 SB4 TB3 IP2
Sun 23 Apr 2017
at 08:31
Call of Chaos - Assembly - Altdorf.
Albrecht frowned.
They did not really have anything to go on and certainly no specific orders. They had been told to join the witch hunter. That Roderick did not intend to set out was strange.
"We are to provide our services to Roderick. To join him and his companions"
"We did expect to set out."
"Maybe we ought to look for the Senior Witch Hunter?"
, he asked in the direction of Osric.
Then smiled.
"Or we wait for our last companion."
Albrecht shrugged, he did not know Kislevite either and Osric's pronounciation sounded correctly enough to his own ears.
Elric von Morgenstern
 Knight, 15 posts
 Knights Griffon Templar
 "By talon and steel!!!"
Tue 25 Apr 2017
at 00:26
Call of Chaos - Assembly - Altdorf.
"The orders I received were to simply report to the man. Otherwise, the only thing required of me was to hunt down to targets in Marienburg. I simply assumed he wasn't going himself because of the tensions between the various law enforcement agencies between the city-state and the Empire. And I have no issue with waiting a while longer for your other companion. Better than trying to catch up on the road later. The roads can be quite dangerous the farther you go out," the Knight said with a pragmatic knowing-look.
Storyteller
 GM, 718 posts
Tue 25 Apr 2017
at 19:16
Call of Chaos - Assembly - Altdorf.
Hooves. In the distances a tall, brooding man with a tipped hat rides towards you.
His hair is cut roughly and his arms thick, stretching the fabric in his long coat.
His face darkened by the sun, and adorned with marks of battle, and his gaze is one of nonsense.
Elric recognizes the man. Who else...Roderick.
His horse, a dark grey and fiercely looking steed - fits his persona well as he arrives. Rather than dismounting, he rides up to you, glancing at you all and dryly states to you all.
"You all know why you are here, one manner or another. I see one lacking? We leave once she arrives. I will tell you the rest we pass onwards, no questions answered before hand. I assume you are prepared."
His tone was sharp and expecting compliance.
Elric von Morgenstern
 Knight, 16 posts
 Knights Griffon Templar
 "By talon and steel!!!"
Wed 26 Apr 2017
at 01:14
Call of Chaos - Assembly - Altdorf.
"I stand corrected. My apologies gentlemen," Elric said wryly as the Witch Hunter trotted up on horseback.

"Forgive me, I was under the impression you were not coming along on this venture. How wonderful it is that you have graced us with your presence, Herr Hellermann. Surly the mission cannot fail now," the Knight continued, holding back his sarcasm by the smallest, but titanic in strength, margin.
Osric Jutzenbach
 Sigmarite - Priest, 477 posts
 Agi 38 AP 3(all)
 W11/15 For2/3 SB3 TB4 IP1
Thu 27 Apr 2017
at 06:49
Call of Chaos - Assembly - Altdorf.
When Roderick arrived, Osric saluted him with the sign of the hammer. This man would be little into chitchat so there was no use in spending idle words.

Osric mounted the horse and once seethed, eyed the surrounding for any sign of Larissa. I still don't know if it is a good idea to bring and Ice Maiding on a journey with a Witch Hunter. he pondered, hoping she would show op soon for Roderick had no reputation of being patient.
Storyteller
 GM, 722 posts
Thu 27 Apr 2017
at 17:49
Call of Chaos - Assembly - Altdorf.
As Larissa arrived, Roderick nodded and sharply bit at her.
"Thank you for joining - not like we had urgent matters at hand...Anyway - our surprise awaits. We will be riding...but not to begin with! I have bought us trip on a ship. Plenty of cargo space for horses also. It is a trading vessel hence our trip will not cause much of a stir or make us stand out. The housing is sufficient. Dry bed, roof and food - silence and blending in the key here. Now! Follow!"

Roderick began to ride, not spending time worrying about questions or objections. He waved them away. Even Elric's remark seemed ignored. Seemed anyways.

Die Empyrian Pherd was a mighty vessel with deep origins in the southern regions of the empire. By the looks of it, it could have been born in Marienburg or similar town down the Reik. It had a broad sturdy hull, fitted with ornaments of Manaan and his likeness, and the vessel teamed with activity.
Roderick slowly dismounts dragging his horse behind him and presenting his paperwork to the harbormaster - who nods and waves you all onboard. You notice the smell of the Reik. Gastly as the town itself.
Larissa Ignatyev
 Maiden of Ice, 152 posts
 Nothing burns
 like the cold
Thu 27 Apr 2017
at 18:13
Call of Chaos - Assembly - Altdorf.
Larissa nodded in response to Roderick.

- "There were some matters to discuss which took longer than anticipated. My apologies if this has caused any undue delays."

She noticed the smell, but then again she had fought the rotting carcass of a dead dragon not too long ago. It smelled bad, but not as bad as she knew it could be. Perhaps in a month or two she would be ready to complain about it again, but for now she would have to do with the memory of spices and dishes of her home country... and a bottle of kvas hanging at her side.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:16, Thu 27 Apr 2017.

Elric von Morgenstern
 Knight, 17 posts
 Knights Griffon Templar
 "By talon and steel!!!"
Fri 28 Apr 2017
at 02:52
Call of Chaos - Assembly - Altdorf.
Despite the look on his face as though he had just swallowed something foul tasting, Elric dutifully fell in behind the Witch Hunter as he led them to their destination. He did however remove his helm in the most gentlemanly fashion and incline his head deeply to Larissa Ignatyev.

"My lady, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. My name is Sir Elric von Morgenstern, and I will be joining your group for the duration of our task. Well met," he said politely, following his hard-ingrained etiquette despite the severity of their situation.

----------------------------------------------------

Elric guided Anne-Marie up onto Die Empyrian Pherd, and the mighty Charger surprisingly complied easily. There was a great trust between the Knight and steed, and a little something like open water or unsure footing wouldn't break that bond. Despite the smell of the River Reik, the Knight Griffon didn't seem to notice. Altdorf had long been his second home, and he was a Reiklander to the core. The smell was simply another part of the background of life.
Albrecht Zweifler
 Roadwarden, 744 posts
 Ag34 AP: 5(body) 3(rest)
 W17/17 F4/4 SB4 TB3 IP2
Fri 28 Apr 2017
at 06:16
Call of Chaos - Assembly - Altdorf.
The witch hunter's attitude and stance was obvious and Albrecht had no objections to silence and so it was easy for him to adapt and accept.
On the other hand, Albrecht resented authority and he had the feeling that sooner or later Rodericks' commands would be at odds with his own perspective. Well, there was nothing to do about that right now.
Albrecht just tagged along.
Storyteller
 GM, 725 posts
Tue 2 May 2017
at 07:51
Call of Chaos - Assembly - Altdorf.
Gathering on board, you notice the smell of salt in the air, and slowly set out, as all board.
The captain finds himself on the deck and eyes those gathered before belting out.
"We set out men and women! Seven days on sea and we will reach the port of Marienburg! Hang tight! It will be a good trip, Manaans blessing be upon us today!"
The wind is firm in your backs and the sails fully extended and used to capacity.
You count around twenty sailors and deckhands, and near the end of the deck there is a sweet smell, hinting of a foreign liquor you have heard of - Marienburg Rum.


Note: You are sailing the famous Altdorf -> Marienburg by river route(The Reik). It is 380 Miles long. Assuming a standard sailing ship, and the good fortunes of Manaan and the winds, you are expecting the streams and wind to be in your favor.
Hence the math is simple: 40 Miles a day + 25% for streams = 50 miles/day.
380/50 = 7,6 days, hence leaving in the morning, arriving 7 days later in the afternoon.
Roughly spoken, assume around 9 - 10 days at worst.


The city of Marienburg boasts of being the largest in the Old World and is the greatest of its ports, far more wondrous than even the city-states of Tilea. Straddling the mouth of the River Reik as it drains the mainland into the Sea of Claws, nearly all maritime trade that concerns Bretonnia and the Empire happens here.
It is a place of great wealth and great opportunity. It is a place despised by the Empire, despite its reliance on the fabulous port city’s good fortunes.
The reason for this hatred stems directly from the great error, the mishap that led to Marienburg’s independence. Always on the fringe of Empire politics in the first place, the stirrings of rebellion had begun years before the city declared its independence.

The people of this cosmopolitan city never had much use for the Sigmarite movement that had gained traction in the Empire and as that cult grew in power and influence, witch hunters spread through the lands, putting to the sword and torch any they suspected of consorting with the Ruinous Powers. In time, for religious, economic, and political reasons, Marienburgers grew to resent their countrymen. Their low opinion only worsened as corruption and decadence flowered within their ranks until many began to distance themselves from their Empire
kin, looking for any way that the city could break from the Empire.
This opportunity came during the Time of Three Emperors. Lacking a coherent leader, Marienburg asserted its autonomy, manipulating the tenuous balance of power to gain more independence than ever before, though still, the Empire held its unruly province in its grip.


OOC: For now you are on sea, so you can advance from this. We will not drag this out if there is little interest in this, however it also serves as a way for people to get involved with one another.

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:15, Wed 03 May 2017.

Osric Jutzenbach
 Sigmarite - Priest, 478 posts
 Agi 38 AP 3(all)
 W11/15 For2/3 SB3 TB4 IP1
Tue 2 May 2017
at 09:28
Call of Chaos - Assembly - Altdorf.
They had been on the river for some time now and Osric offered a prayer of gratitude to Sigmar for He had granted him seaman-legs for this journey. Getting on board was easy, Osric reflected, but he had been worried by the lack of any skill in swimming. The situation had been made worse by the tales of people getting sick when travelling on water. Yet Sigmar had smiled upon him, or perhaps convinced Manaan too and Osric even started to enjoy the openness of the river, not hampered by rocking motion of the ship. He had divided his time between reading one of the books he brought along from the Church Library and trying to convince Larissa to teach him the language of Kislev.

Just for flavor:
Osric Jutzenbach rolled 4 -- 4 degrees of success using the Warhammer Test system with a target number of 51 with rolls of 4.  Sea sick (WP).
edit: removed any reference from the sea :)

This message was last edited by the player at 05:51, Wed 03 May 2017.

Albrecht Zweifler
 Roadwarden, 745 posts
 Ag34 AP: 5(body) 3(rest)
 W17/17 F4/4 SB4 TB3 IP2
Tue 2 May 2017
at 10:21
Call of Chaos - Assembly - Altdorf.
As before, the last time he had set off from Altdorf on a ship, Albrecht did not feel too well on the journey.
Naturally it was quite impressive to observe the widening of the Reik as it flowed on towards the sea. Just a day out of Altdorf Albrecht was fairly sure he would not manage to reach the bank anymore even if he were to discard all his equipment. Even though the rivers of his homeland were not even nearly as wide as those of the mainland he had learned the basics of swimming at an early age and had trained in recent times to become more proficient. But the churning waves of the Reik were daunting indeed and the distance to the bank was increasing each day. Of course, the Reik was busy with trading ships and so it was impossible to travel in the middle of the mighty river. Even so, the eastern bank was far away.
Albrecht wondered about their destination Marienburg. He had never been at the sea. The prospect of not seeing any land anymore but only the planks of a ship surrounded by the greyish blue sea was quite frightening.
Strangely enough, to him anyway, his trusted horse did not have any trouble at all. Admittedly, he envied Strider's constitution.
Elric von Morgenstern
 Knight, 19 posts
 Knights Griffon Templar
 "By talon and steel!!!"
Wed 3 May 2017
at 01:32
Call of Chaos - Assembly - Altdorf.
Elric did not care to be on the water. It wasn't that he became sickened by the rocking of the boat, no, long hours of bouncing up and down on a horse had cured him of that sensation, but his fears were born of more pragmatic concerns. One, his fighting skills were honed to being on foot, or in the saddle. Neither of which was suited for the deck or hold of a ship. That was the realm of cutlasses and knives. Two, as a man in full armor, it was a very bad idea to go overboard. Manann would drag to the depths any man clad in iron. And three, he simply did not care for the water. Grunburg was set against the hills on one side, and the Reikwald forest to the other. And when not in his home city, he was in Knight Griffon holdings in the grand cities of Altdorf and Nuln. The peace of the wilderness and the glory of civilization were what called to his heart. The life of a boatman held no allure for him.

And so the young Knight Griffon spent most of his time as if he were in times of peace at the Grand Temple. Prayer, polishing his armor, and practicing with the knightly arms. True, space was limited, but the eldest von Morgenstern boy made due.