Low friends in high places - The Great Hospice of Shallya.   Posted by Storyteller.Group: archive 0
Storyteller
 GM, 307 posts
Fri 3 Jul 2015
at 12:00
Re: Maw of Madness
The womans glow had diminished and she stood, calmly but also somewhat lost and distant.
She eyed Eberhardt shortly, her face an image of pain.
He features were delicate, but worn and tired, and her skin that of someone who hadn't bathed nor groomed herself in a while. Still, she was striking to view.
With a shivering voice she calmly answered:
"I have been here so long...I can't recall it all. I...Broke..I lost my focus, I lost my way and I caused great harm. I slowly lost touch with the world around me. I got consumed and couldn't relate. I was placed here, as much by my own wish. To rekindle hope of become myself again...Yet, I have never felt farther from that right now. Johan gave me a soft warm feeling in my being - and now he is gone. Have you seen him or anything belonging to him...he stayed not far from here, in the room you just left."

The woman forgot time and space before calmly replying.
"Anna..Anna Lindenhalz...but my name means little to me now a days..."
She looked distraught, with a broken, torn and abandoned asylum behind her.
There were no sisters, no inmates and chaos had run amok inside. It would take Shallaya and the empire time to rebuild both Frederheim and now the Asylum to it's former glory.

What was left aside aiding a torn and broken woman here?
Eberhardt Grimm
 player, 167 posts
 Ag 39, AP 0 F 1/2
 W 14/14, SB 3, TB 4, IP 3
Fri 3 Jul 2015
at 14:57
Re: Maw of Madness
Eberhardt swallowed hard. This woman was a classical example (appearing in witch hunters' and Sigmarites' tales) about a magister who has fallen. The Winds were not forgiving, even when they all demanded different kind of devotion. Would he lose it someday? After yet one troll, or mutant or demon? Would he glow all the time with a light that would dazzle or blind anyone coming too near? Eberhardt pushed aside the fearful feelings created by this damned place and the unfortunate souls within.

"I am Eberhardt Grimm, from the College of Light. Is there something I can do to help you, to recover from the sacrifice you have made for the Empire."
Albrecht Zweifler
 player, 406 posts
 Ag34, AP: 3(all)
 W13/13 F2/3 SB4 TB3 IP1
Sun 5 Jul 2015
at 09:47
Re: Maw of Madness
She knew Johan! , he thought, finally an actual lead.
Albrecht removed himself form the scene and started to go back the room, beginning a meticulous search of it

 rolled 26 -- 1 degree of success using the Warhammer Test system with a target number of 36.  Reroll FP
 rolled 99 -- 6 degrees of failure using the Warhammer Test system with a target number of 36. Search room.

Storyteller
 GM, 311 posts
Mon 6 Jul 2015
at 13:23
Re: Maw of Madness
With keen eyes Albrecht initially was no smarter than when he left. The tension and stress of it all can cause even the most vary eyes to falter. Yet, the experience and determination of him was not to be denied.

He discovered a plethora of broken cutlery, worn down to the handle, and further discovered that all the chests used for clothing normally, were brimming with dirt. A single broom stood worn in the corner, but it's broom head was dark from repetitive use, mainly wet dirt. A further suggestion that this was planned and executed over a length period of time, by someone who at the very least had a semblance of sense to him or her.

Albrecht also found a page, torn and scribbled with what appeared to be nonsense.
A word or a semblance of it, appeared over and over, but it was undecipherable to him.
Yet, as an outrider, Albrecht could at least sense that he had seen this name before, for it was a name...nay a location.(The word is 'Helmgart' and at least a few signs or maps showing this has likely been shown to you, so this one is a logical gimme for me to give to you.

A piece of silver necklace with a small brooch, and what appears to be a broken half of a necklace is found under a pillow just near the exit tunnel. It appears to be a single comet, but obviously part of a set.

Elsewhere, Anna as she called herself eyed Eberhardt curiously, almost zoning out. Eberhardt knew that look and the sensation it caused. Magesight.
"Your aura is clear. Your words speak truly. I trust you, when you say you wish to aid me. Find Johan. Aid him. He is alive, I know, but troubled beyond the measures of a man, and I...I am lost as it is. I wish but to hold him once more, but fear I am beyond saving. My actions have condemned me, and perhaps this hollow ruin, is what I deserve.."
Her words were sad and distant. She looked down and rarely up at Eberhardt apart from what she did initially.

She stopped. She turned her head. She pointed at the entrance to the hallway from outside.
"Something is coming..."
Heavy steps, running could be heard from inside the dark hallway leading outside.
Eberhardt Grimm
 player, 168 posts
 Ag 39, AP 0 F 1/2
 W 14/14, SB 3, TB 4, IP 3
Mon 6 Jul 2015
at 14:04
Re: Maw of Madness
Eberhardt listened intently as Anna talked. Somehow he felt like helping the woman would help himself atone for the sins of the past, failures that should have been victories. It was long since someone had scrutinized him with the witchsight and it was never a fully comfortable thing. It felt like someone was gazing at your soul and multiple apprentices in the College of Light had felt like Eberhardt... the fear that someone was stealing your most valuable secrets, learning your weaknesses and digging up the darkest dreams.

When Anna commented that someone was coming, Eberhardt showed with a simple wave of his hand that others should take care of the thing, not even paying thorough attention if there was anyone else in the room.

"We will help Johan if that is in the realm of possibility Anna, but what of you? I know that cold will have little power over you, but you need food and water, shelter better than this ruin infested with darkness. Surely there must be a better place." Eberhardt fell silent for a bit, almost like he was hesitating. Then with a stern voice he continued: "My family estates are not too far from here. Solid stone manor or some more remote hunting cabin or such."
Osric Jutzenbach
 player, 219 posts
 Agi(38) AP(3-all)
 W14/15 For1/3 SB3 TB4 IP1
Mon 6 Jul 2015
at 19:58
Re: Maw of Madness
Storyteller:
Have you seen him or anything belonging to him...he stayed not far from here, in the room you just left."

The words triggered Osrics memory and he dug out the broken pendant of the twin-tailed comet he had found at the end of the tunnel. Along with it he took a look at the small bag he found there as well, yet still keeping an eye and ear on the fallen.

When she mentioned that someone was coming, Osric moved across the yard towards the door.
Albrecht Zweifler
 player, 407 posts
 Ag34, AP: 3(all)
 W13/13 F1/3 SB4 TB3 IP1
Tue 7 Jul 2015
at 06:01
Re: Maw of Madness
Albrecht returned to the yard, the sheet and necklace in hand.
"It took a long time to build the tunnel and all the dug out earth was placed in the chests. Why the supervisors never bothered to check those is a mystery to me. Found this, too", Albrecht held up the sheet of paper, "Can't read, though.".
The horseman then dangled the necklace.
"I guess this belongs to Brother Johan Reichmann. The twin-tailed coment, if you ask me, broken. Maybe he lost faith in the end..."

Storyteller:
"Something is coming..."
Heavy steps, running could be heard from inside the dark hallway leading outside.

Not really thinking, but reacting from pure instinct, Albrecht drew his pistol and ran through the small chapel room to cut off whatever was trying to escape the sanatorium this time.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:15, Tue 07 July 2015.

Storyteller
 GM, 313 posts
Tue 7 Jul 2015
at 09:05
Re: Maw of Madness
Anna turned to Eberhardt, with a confused look at first, which slowly turned into a face bearing a few marks of hope.
"I...I...can I? I have much to amend for...but do they not fear for me? I was brought here, granted by my own will, in fear of what I could do, and have done. I wish to achieve salvation, but am unsure I have the tools nor the ability..."
She was obviously interested and her interest more than peeked, but she was worried, and the marks on her face suggested that it weighted heavy on her.
She looked intently at Eberhardt, urging him to help tip the scale and offer advise.

Having found two halves of the same necklace, there was little doubt. The holy symbol of Sigmar was left behind and the likely subject to have done so, was Johan.
However, more pressing matters presented themselves.

Albrecht rushed out. However to his surprise, it wasn't people heading out, but four heading in!

Three sturdy men with grizzle jaws and ill demeanor, and a man appearing as a coachman for the lot ran forward, halting as they saw him. Stalemate. Who would react first.
The coachman yelped out, so even those inside could hear them.
"What the...you are not Reiss!"
He reached for his blunderbuss as the men confused at first, considered drawing arms but failed to do so.

To Albrecht surprise he saw a sneaking dwarf or something akin to it coming behind the group. He was dressed as a mercenary and stood out like a sore thumb. Further behind him, an elf, hiding in the canopy kept eye on the situation. They did not appear to belong to these four, but one never knew...

MAP: https://docs.google.com/drawin...h-mSrLiX4/edit?pli=1

OOC:
The men are surprised, and thus will not act in a possible surprise round.
Only the coachman has a readied weapon. He will also only act on a normal round. Albrecht has the upper hand and can make a full rounds action if he so desire. Same goes for Urgrim, who is now added to the thread.

This message was last edited by the GM at 09:06, Tue 07 July 2015.

Albrecht Zweifler
 player, 408 posts
 Ag34, AP: 3(all)
 W13/13 F0/3 SB4 TB3 IP1
Tue 7 Jul 2015
at 10:51
Re: Maw of Madness
Severly outnumbered and instantly alarmed by the man reaching for his blunderbuss - never mind that he would target his own man in the spraying shot- Albrecht once again acted from instinct rather than rational thought.
"Drop your weapons !", he shouted with authority and anger.
The thin man drew his blade and attacked the nearest man, not to draw blood, but to make him stumble backwards into his companions and thereby hopefully ruining the man's shot. At the very least, he would be able to reach the man with the blunderbuss.

Free: Ready Sword
Move: Manoeuvre
Strictly per RAW this is not possible, i.e. manoeuvring someone into another character or terrain feature (p. 128).
  1. rolled 59 -- 3 degrees of failure using the Warhammer Test system with a target number of 20. Intimidate.
  2. rolled 70 -- 2 degrees of failure using the Warhammer Test system with a target number of 46. Manoeuvre (opposed WS).
  3. rolled 58 -- 1 degree of failure using the Warhammer Test system with a target number of 46. FP reroll.
Awh... SOD THIS !

Urgrim Diamondheart
 player, 44 posts
 Dwarf
 Journeyman Runesmith
Tue 7 Jul 2015
at 14:28
Re: Maw of Madness
Urgrim charged forward, heading for the coachman. After all he wasn't one of the necessary men needed for apprehension and he was pulling a gun. He kept as silently as possible as his mighty runed axe went down on the man's leg.

"Surrender you blaggards or perish from my axe!" he hollered at the other three.

09:21, Tue 07 July 2015: Urgrim Diamondheart rolled 11 -- 6 degrees of success using the Warhammer Test system with a target number of 78 ((11)).
10:12, Tue 07 July 2015: Urgrim Diamondheart rolled 11 using 1d10+3 ((8)). Damage.


If I can Intimidate as well here is my  roll.

09:28, Tue 07 July 2015: Urgrim Diamondheart rolled 7 -- 3 degrees of success using the Warhammer Test system with a target number of 37 ((7)).

This message was last edited by the player at 15:12, Tue 07 July 2015.

Osric Jutzenbach
 player, 221 posts
 Agi(38) AP(3-all)
 W14/15 For1/3 SB3 TB4 IP1
Thu 9 Jul 2015
at 04:49
Re: Maw of Madness
Osric ran into the corridor as soon as he heard the commotion. Seeing raised weapons he raised his voice "By Sigmar's will, every one stand down. Enough blood has been spilled in this forsaken place and we which no one harm."

He looked at the new arrivals, noticing the dwarf at the back. "[Language unknown:  Tedaverea Whiopo. Out Herntiles Oreartesteauint o li Llilei m meugh Conlester Mosaus, illwittinrea hou m trnclo ca poai Liun Illithpro to werineect all o som Ulilun. Seet withan out was.]"

ooc - Technically, Ugrim could not charge yet as it is a surprise round for Albrecht. Keeping the conversation short, because of the 'round' time limmit
Storyteller
 GM, 315 posts
Thu 9 Jul 2015
at 12:13
Re: Maw of Madness
This was not as planned for the men. Not even closely.
While Albrechts battlerush left something to be desired and while he didn't move back, he startled him, enough to draw attention away from Urgrim who landed a non defend-able blow to the coachman, who dropped his blunderbuss in shock. The three others instantly got a look of dismay and concern. Quickly they raised their hands. The coachman took to his leg and screamed, bleeding but nothing that would kill him. A bandage or cloth and some days rest would do fine. For now, he was unable to fight and defend himself.

One of the three remaining, a man with a short graytinted beard and deep green eyes, calmly spoke in a gravely voice.
"Our weapons are down and we will not fight. Ease down. We seek something..once we have it, we will leave and no one needs to get hurt."
He seemed sincere and remarkably calm in the face of danger.

OOC:
I allowed for Urgrim to come from behind. He witness it and follow right behind, so he was never "surprised".
@Urgrim: I will allow it - both the roll and the intimidate, amplified by the blow. As it will just wound the man not kill him outright.

[Private to Urgrim Diamondheart: You should be able to see what Osric wrote in Khazalid. If not, let me know?]
Urgrim Diamondheart
 player, 45 posts
 Dwarf
 Journeyman Runesmith
Thu 9 Jul 2015
at 13:11
Re: Maw of Madness
Urgrim kicked the coachman's blunderbuss away and shouldered his axe, seemingly pleased by the outcome. "Smart choice boys, but if this book is the dusty old tome with golden lettering me and my associate have been looking for then you aren't getting it. If not then you boys are gonna lead us to your hideout and give us this tome."

He then turned to Osric. [Language unknown:  "An es Ainarende pe Stan Ololtrusti. K ng ol itherentithu hios stome ardortear el essessintdin plwh ousforoer metinawa of ee wa es vor ine san rom ul es niioce ca Sttowhas. N iv trant ofolfi ta nousce diil'ndwa con witno ovehasver, ughiv ntpr U ounev urwhac niivwhna.]
Albrecht Zweifler
 player, 409 posts
 Ag34, AP: 3(all)
 W13/13 F0/3 SB4 TB3 IP1
Thu 9 Jul 2015
at 13:37
Re: Maw of Madness
Albrecht glanced in obvious annoyance at Osric. Talking gibberish in an already confusing situation was not helpful. Not at all.

"My order does include you.", he said with determination to the dwarf, pointing his pistol at the stout figure and taking a step back from the assembled men who had just proposed to talk rather than fight.

"This is a mission sanctioned by the Church of Sigmar, led by the Sigmarite priest Brother Osric. I am a man of the law, endowed with providing mundane support to the Sigmarite.", he ascertained their authority.

"Anything found in these premises is subject to the Church's evaluation first.", he snarled in annoyance.
All sorts of strange persons seem to converge on the sanatorium today!, he thought, What a farrago !
"No one here will take anything unless Brother Osric gives his approval."

Albrecht was at the end of his patience, it had all been too much today.
"Do we have an understanding now ?", he said warningly to the dwarf.
"Now do drop your weapon so you can all explain yourselves in a civil manner."

"And you back there, yes you, elf. Show yourself and stop skulking there !", he shouted.
Osric Jutzenbach
 player, 223 posts
 Agi(38) AP(3-all)
 W14/15 For1/3 SB3 TB4 IP1
Thu 9 Jul 2015
at 15:02
Re: Maw of Madness
"As you can see mein Herren, my friend the roadwarden is right. The sun did not climb much since we arrived here, and already we had to fence of a bunch a brigands also looking for something. We found the inmates corrupted beyond salvation, had to kill a Chaos Troll in the inner sanctum and were assaulted by the un-dead." he paused for a moment.

"There is nothing left here but pain and sorrow. If you are indeed the criminals Master Urgrim claims, then I let Herr Zweiffler bring you to justice here and now, with the blessing of Sigmar if so liked." he said to the three men. "What are you looking for and can and will you deny the words of Master Urgrim?"

He then addressed the Runesmith "Chaos is on the lose in the Empire and I fear dark times are coming. I hope you understand Master Urgrim, that in these dark hours I can not let any tome pass before inspecting it. I'm not asking you who you were hired by, but perhaps it can help me solve the puzzle why this place is the center of everyone's attention."
Urgrim Diamondheart
 player, 46 posts
 Dwarf
 Journeyman Runesmith
Thu 9 Jul 2015
at 16:11
Re: Maw of Madness
Urgrim glared at the fool who was pointing a pistol at him. "I am speaking civily human, and I am not one to lower me weapon while being threatened by a wild dog at the end of his leash. Holster yer toy and stop being a damned fool if ye want civility, or shoot me. However I warn ye if ye do shoot, my friend will litter yer corpse with holes, and I shall be sure you require a halfling's coffin." he said in a steady, calm, but threatening tone.

"I have no quarrel with yer group Sigmarite, unless yer dog bites. I am a businessman, and everything can be settled with business. Our business is the law currently, dragging these arcanist blaggards back for a fair trial and execution. If killing them was an opion we would have done so already. The tome is another job, but one that has been agreed upon with money already given up front. I am not in the habit of breaking deals priest, however I am open to a re-evaluation of the terms if you wish to view the goods before hand."
Albrecht Zweifler
 player, 414 posts
 Ag34, AP: 3(all)
 W13/13 F0/3 SB4 TB3 IP1
Fri 10 Jul 2015
at 06:22
Re: Maw of Madness
Albrecht raised an eyebrow, then swivelled his head to look at Osric. His gaze was intent, then he sighed.
"You're going to trust that statthirnfelsen, right ?"
He withdrew his arm that had been aiming at the dwarf, his attention full on the priest.
"You're going to keep the messingleerschaedel with you, right ?"

Albrecht relaxed and gave a sad smile. He withdrew his weapons and held his hand to his companion.
"My dear Osric. If Sigmar smiles, we will meet again soon. If not,", Albrecht grabbed the priest's forearm and shrugged as if it did not matter. But Osric knew the roadwarden better than that and saw through the attempted ruse, "we will meet again in the Halls of Morr."
"I will chase down the necromancer."


So saying, Albrecht turned around and ran outside. He turned straight left to go into the garden to find the tracks of the necromancer and his henchmen.
Not much later he returned and left the hospital area, his horse's hooves raising small dust devils.

[Private to Osric Jutzenbach:
Inacceptable behaviour.
All the best, mate !
]

This message was last edited by the player at 06:25, Fri 10 July 2015.

Eberhardt Grimm
 player, 170 posts
 Ag 39, AP 0 F 1/2
 W 14/14, SB 3, TB 4, IP 3
Fri 10 Jul 2015
at 12:04
Re: Maw of Madness
Eberhardt heard shouts and commotion in the distance, but did not react to it. This was mainly because of two reasons: First of all, his accomplices were skilled individuals, even those he did not agree with most of the time. Second, Anna had his full attention. It was no romantic thing at this point, as it seldom was for a member of the Light Order. But the woman was in need of aid and what was rare for a member of her Order: she knew it herself.

The magister worried of the consequences of his actions, though it did not make him second-guess his decision at all. It had been years... over a decade when he had seen home and the thing he was going to ask would not be a small favor. Eberhardt did not know if Anna could diminish the flames around her, but that would be a problem for later.

"I will help you Anna, if you just let me. I can not guarantee that nobody would be scared, you know that would be a lot to ask even during the best of times. Still, I am of noble blood and even more importantly, of noble upbringing as is my family. They will help me and they will help you. You deserve it."

The ruckus nearby had grown, Eberhardt noticed at least Osric and Albrecht raising their voices, as well as multiple strange voices. Was that Khazalid he heard? Eberhardt continued:

"What comes to the salvation, tools can be made or found, and no-one capable of harnessing the Winds is lacking in ability. The burden is heavy, but worth it. Leave this place with us."
Storyteller
 GM, 321 posts
Mon 27 Jul 2015
at 08:03
Re: Maw of Madness
The man addressed by Osric looked up.
"I am not denying anything. Hell, the few krowns ain't worth it."
He eyed the others, the defeated look of a man, who knew that the bell tolled for him.
"We seek a tome of an inmate, which is said to be of great value. If what you say is true, we are too late anyways."
He stalled a tad, drawing a breath before continuing.
"We were hired by a Merchant, Messer was it? I am bad with names, good with fists and hungry for coin." Thats for the tome to get, simple task. The rest was done by a thuggish fella and his band of mercenaries. He goes by Reiss and was here seeking something else. A patient of sorts...That's what I know. Patient 34 mean anything to you? He was with four others, including that elf there."
He pointed at the elf shot dead by Galideral.

He spoke no further, and ignored the point of the temple of Shallaya which had burned down in Altdorf and how they had been involved if so at all.

He looked puzzled, and nervous - this had not panned out.
"We know our fate is sealed. So pass judgment and leave us not to wait for the inevitable."

As he finished, Anna froze.
Something rung a bell. She tried to hide it but send a glare to Osric and Eberhardt that told him more than words. Now was not the place to share, but she knew something. He was sure.
Anna then nodded at him.
"Let us go, nothing is left here but pain and anguish."
She turned to the men and glared at them, before speaking:
"You are too late. There are no patients left nor any belongings of a value akin to it. I know every inch of this god abandoned and ruinous place, and no such object is here. Leave with your head bowed and face judgment. You wanted to pray on the weak and now you are being preyed upon."

Her words were curious and haunting. As if from a darker personality. One she seamlessly transferred into without sign.

The scene was bleak, a sanctum ruined and defiled and yet another place in the empire, where the powers of DHAL had caused great harm...

[Private to Osric Jutzenbach: Before heading off(maybe to return?) Albrecht hands you a small parchment and mutteres the word: Helmgart to you. A word is scribbled aside it. HERZBLUT..It is from Johan, a brief scan tells you. Perhaps with more time it could unveil more. Also Urgrim is unavailable as we speak - he has voiced dis-interest in the game due to the events, so do not expect further from him sadly.]

This message was last edited by the GM at 10:49, Tue 28 July 2015.

Osric Jutzenbach
 player, 226 posts
 Agi(38) AP(3-all)
 W14/15 For1/3 SB3 TB4 IP1
Thu 30 Jul 2015
at 12:36
Re: Maw of Madness
"Master Urgrim, I fear the tome you were looking for is no longer in this place. I'll write you a letter for the nearest roadwardens. They will offer you some reward for these thugs if you see it fit to bring them to them. It might be less then for the tome, but you won't leave empty handed."

He then addressed the others. "We leave, now to a safer place. We will quickly search the main building for evidence or signs of what has happened here and to the sisters. Then we will burn the sanctuary, it has been defiled."

As they headed out and towards the main building he sighted. "And I need to hire a replacement for her Zweifler, for I can not risk on venturing onward with a blade short. Magistar Grimm, is there a place near where we are heading were I can hire a new sword? For I fear that Sigmar will not be so kind to drop one out of the trees."
Eberhardt Grimm
 player, 173 posts
 Ag 39, AP 0 F 1/2
 W 14/14, SB 3, TB 4, IP 3
Sun 2 Aug 2015
at 12:27
Re: Maw of Madness
Eberhardt Grimm kept close to Anna, ready for action should the woman lose her control. The magister doubted that the thugs could pose a real threat to her, not after what he witnessed with the skeletons before.

As Osric spoke to him, Eberhardt hesitated a bit before answering. "There might be indeed. As it happens, the estates of my family are not far away. We already have an urgent reason to get there so it will fill both purposes. I can ask for a recommendation when we get there." The magister did not want to say more in front of these strangers, indeed he feared to many words had been said already. Suddenly Eberhardt noticed that his staff was still glowing, the trickle of Hysh still radiating from it. With a single low word the comforting light went out.
Storyteller
 GM, 325 posts
Wed 12 Aug 2015
at 12:16
Re: Maw of Madness
Anna nodded, and took Eberhardts hand with a firm grip. She was a women of intent and this
place had taken all she was and had. She was not staying a moment longer.
She would let the remaining talk but she and her new ally would not wait much longer, be damned or not!

Urgrim nodded. This was agreeable. Frowning, he turned, and spoke shortly:
"I shall be in Bögenhafen then. Lara, ye can stay or not, be damned if I will! I trust the word of Sigmar that you will honor the deal Priest."
He ventured back to the abandoned or rather unused coach and would wait for Lara a short while, before turning back.

Outside:
OoC: To avoid further slowdown, please detail in short what you seek in the main building, as it has already been visited - and is vacant apart from the departed sisters.
I will detail what you find - no rolls needed.


A loud slumbering sound came from near a shrubbery along the building - Bernard! The bear of a man slept just like his namesake and one could not blame him. He had honored his word; He would wait. But going anywhere was a different task as he was sound asleep....

Time had flown by it seems. Albrecht had been gone for quite a while and Urgrim and perhaps Lara had vanished. Left was Anna, Eberhardt, Galideral and Osric to decide next steps.

[Private to Albrecht Zweifler: You rode long and fast, your horse drained and almost unable to move any more when done. The note haunted you. Helmgart? That forsaken and haunted place? Why would anyone write nor talk of it? Yet, with ill intent and anger aching in his bones he rode like the wind. Alas! In the distance, you saw a man standing alone with two others. His garp was tattered and dark, and with him two cloaked and armor man, stood aside him. The cloaked man was a curious sight, his skin pale and his gleaming eye leaving no doubt that he was indeed the one - sadly to get closer, would be exposing yourself, and as you rode closer, you noticed a caravan approach, with 6 more men aboard, counting the coachman. All these men were adorned in dark tanned leathers, almost pitch black, half masks, covering the lower part of their face, and a curious pin, shaped like a needle through a small hart. Could it belong to something?
They spoke shortly in an odd tongue, and only one word stood out: Helmgart - South of here. They remained shortly and the necromancer placed himself in the caravan and turned. He had a long trip it would seem. With the caravan in motion, they turned, and the two remaining got on horse and followed.

Having left, you took a closer look. An odd smell, decayed and rusty filled the air. The tracks were easy enough to follow for now, but would likely fade to fast. Damn it! However, your keen sight detailed a small pin akin to the one they wore on the ground. A fluke of luck but a great one at that! - Perhaps now would be the time to ask for aid?

OOC: You can return at your own convenience.
]

----
I will hold with the new thread just yet, but as soon as there has been voiced here, I will move on. We may also need to reestimate players and perhaps recruit a few.
Larafyll Starfire
 player, 52 posts
Sat 15 Aug 2015
at 02:45
Re: Maw of Madness
Of course, when Osric said his piece, Lara dropped out of a tree. It seemed a perfect time to do so really. "I think I shall stray with them for a while Urgrim. They seem to be fighting something at the very least. I'd like to see what it is." She said softly as she glided forward, her feet barely making a sound as she moved. She definitely looked in place with her surroundings. In her hands she held a long barreled rifle, more common in Hochland than here, but it'll location did nothing to diminish what it was capable of.
Osric Jutzenbach
 player, 229 posts
 Agi(38) AP(3-all)
 W14/15 For1/3 SB3 TB4 IP1
Tue 18 Aug 2015
at 05:27
Re: Maw of Madness
A lesser man would have profaned the name of many gods, yet Osric merely rose an eyebrow when the Elf dropped out of the tree.
"The Lord provides." he said dryly. There was a short conversation with Ugrim and Larafyll, about the nature and trustworthiness of the dwarves companion.

Once satisfied he nodded at Larafyll.
"We will discuss the contract as soon as we find us in a less forsaken place, euhm, my lady." Osric concluded, not sure how to address a elf in general nor a female elf in particular.

ooc - Not sure what to find. Just any evidence what has happened here and if any or none priestess was able to flee. We should also pick up the surviving priestess we found in the cellar and that fled to the coach.
Storyteller
 GM, 327 posts
Tue 18 Aug 2015
at 06:40
Re: Maw of Madness
A quick rummage through the main building display no more than the notebook you found earlier on the bandits.
The same words of the patient #34 whom went through so much and whose history and placement here placed doubt. Payed by a noble, and vouched for silence.

Then there was the note Osric received when Albrecht rode out, wonder when he would return?
A scramble of words, but with the following lines standing out:
- My brothers keeper, guards of his honor.
- Eye for an eye.
- Raise the fallen, and fill them with purpose anew.
- Helmgart
- An order, Herzblut, but mentioned no further what they are, how they look and what they seek to do.
- Manual of the deceived - and it's wielder as a primary goal.


The sentences are spread out, some washed away and some impossible to decipher. Osric recalls it being found under Johans bed.

Along with a broken necklace, a symbol of Sigmar, and sparse belongings, a single page was also found. His last words and what happened, a day before you arrived.
It reads:
Anna, my light. Now my lord has abandoned me, your are but what I recall as a truth I can relate to.
I hear it at night, clawing at my soul, my heart and and my mind. I wake, it's gone.
Memories, I can't recall, yet am sure I have experienced. Blood on my hands.
Cries of mercy. Blood on my HANDS! A dagger in the faithless. I am faithless. Am I?
They lay before me. All of them. Children, men, women, all of them. A drapery of bloody red.
My eyes - my eyes see no light, just red.

Anna..Forgive me. You deserve better. The lord I knew, knows me no more. I know him no more. I know myself...no more. The voice grows. Beckons me away. I take what I have, I run and I never look back. The necklace is for her. I don't need it anymore. It can not protect me. It never has. Lies. LIES! Nothing but lies! They will show me the way. Yes...I must get to it. The voices...are real. The image is real. My mind is the truth. No more lies!
...They will pay and I will keep it for myself. I am my own keeper and guard of my own honor...They will all pay. The lord will hold no protection then...he will pay...


At this point he trails off...The further you read, the more diluted and far fetched it get.
You find nothing else of value.
The woman stand by the coach, gasping for air but alive. Her face and body a mess and with a painful lengthy recovery. Bernard had awoken and aided her to the coach.
Anna and Eberhardt stood patiently aside.

OoC: When ready, move to the new thread: 'Keep of the Grimm's' - we will continue there.