Prologue: Tavi.   Posted by Prologue: Tavi.Group: archive U
Prologue: Tavi
Wed 15 Oct 2014
at 08:26
Prologue: Tavi
GM:
    Making a GM call that some of your current "Contact Points" are devoted to the necessary contacts for this to flow.


You have been running the Auriga as a light cargo and passenger transport in and around the Orion Arm Union systems for the last few years - safely out of the TSR's reach.

Thurmond Stanislaw is not one of your favorite people, but he does always pay well, and usually up front.  You wouldn't have even considered such an insane job, elsewise, but you've been through the Obsidia system before and have at least a few contacts in all the major factions.

You've tried prying some informaton out of him, but he and his thuggish companion - your only cargo beyond a few crates of luggage and supplies - are not much for conversation and spend most of their time in private, giving you a hairy eyeball whenever you pester them.

Thurmond is out of Rai, you would suspect, and you've done several jobs for him over the years - like you, he must spend a lot of time on the move, as he has not aged quite so much as he should have, but then neither have you.   His companion, you aren't so sure about, but he is obviously a heavy worlder.  He is only 5 feet tall and nearly as thick, and speaks mostly in Novvy-Cyrillic; "New Russian," the language common to Novvy Kamchatka, though that world is actually smaller than Terra.

Once again, he paid well and paid upfront with a bonus on return.  Insurance to gaurantee you don't tire of his company and leave him on some backwater hole.

He has you transporting him to somewhere in the Obsidia system; you use your contacts there to secure passage through the volatile "northern" Jumpgate and save weeks of transit time.  You have just cleared the JumpGate Security - jumpy rebels on a hodge-podge space station that is more gun than habitat, trained on the JumpGate and preying on any that come through without having paid the right bribes to the right people.  Now you need to know where to go from here before they get trigger happy...

Thurmond and his compatriot are playing cards and happily ignoring you as you enter the common room of your little ship.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:58, Thu 23 Oct 2014.

Tavi
 Octavia, 2 posts
Fri 17 Oct 2014
at 09:30
House of Cards
Thurmond was a bit of a mystery. But he liked it that way, and paid enough to keep Tavi's mouth shut. When you're on the move, its best not to burn any bridges. Maybe one day she'd be the one paying Thurmond for a favor.

"Well, we managed to clear security without anyone trying to blow up Auriga." Tavi says looking in on the card game. The heavy worlder gave her a bad feeling. The sooner they were off  Auriga the better. "Unless you'd rather I just let you off at the station. You're going to have to tell me where we're going now." drawing the top card of the deck just to see how her luck was holding.
Kraven Kor
 GM, 75 posts
Fri 17 Oct 2014
at 09:31
Set course for...
GM:
    Note:  Your prologue is actually earlier in the timeline than the other characters, FYI, and the travel time will catch you up to them.


Thurmond looks up, without a smile but also without annoyance, and says in a flat tone "Set course for Obsidia A.  I'll upload orbit data presently.  And let me know if sensors pick up any other ships heading there; I'd like to avoid any...  surprises."  The heavy worlder just gives you his usual dead-eye look.

He taps away at his PAD (and you find exact orbit data upon reviewing his upload - prograde, about 5 astronomical units from the star, just at the edge of its debris disk.)
Kraven Kor
 GM, 169 posts
Wed 29 Oct 2014
at 16:01
Re: Set course for...
In reply to Kraven Kor (msg # 3):

GM:  Please repost your post from HC here.  Thanks!
Tavi
 Octavia, 12 posts
Wed 29 Oct 2014
at 23:15
Re: Set course for...
In reply to Kraven Kor (msg # 4):

"Obsidia A, got it." having a habbit of repeating back the important bits of instructions. "So are you expecting company? Or just if any happens along?" Tavi asks, already getting to go set the course and get out of here before. .o(Either really good poker face, or that Heavy is as dumb as a post.)
Kraven Kor
 GM, 176 posts
Wed 29 Oct 2014
at 23:42
Re: Set course for...
In reply to Tavi (msg # 5):

Thurmond gives you a blank look and replies, "I try not to have too many expectations.  I just like to know the lay of the land, my friend."

You check sensor logs and system transit logs (such as they are, which is to say "a mess.")  There was a Survey Ship, the SKX Pytheas III, that left for Obsidia A some five weeks ago, and should likely be in-system now, though you can't be sure of its speed nor what course it took once it passed the heliopause - this system not having the most organized governance.

This message was last updated by the GM at 23:42, Wed 29 Oct 2014.