Ghosts in the Machine   Posted by The Grey Lords.Group: archive 1
The Grey Lords
 GM, 354 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Mon 28 Sep 2015
at 03:04
Ghosts in the Machine
Reaching the ocean the sailors push off and begin to row towards the wrecked vessel.
If the silence between the moaning was not eerie enough, the soft splashing of the oars on the water are muffled far more than the normal splashing of waves. The sea, almost a shimmery silver in color, stretches in every direction. The only visible break in the horizon you can see is the Rogue Mistress and the wreck. Your passage is barely noticed in the water as the wake quickly die off  behind the boat, absorbed that the vast calm. As you draw near the wreck you are able to fully grasp the size of the ship as it overwhelms the tiny longboat. As you drift under the figurehead that is well over 30' (9m) above you, the feeling of the empty sockets watching your move amplifies the feeling of something wrong.

The sailors draw you longboat along the side opposite the reef. Pointing to one of the large bone superstructure pieces you can see a carved into the hull next to it. The of the strange craft is made of a shiny, glossy black material, with no visible seams. Drawing up along side the giant wreck the sailors attach a few lines to help secure the boat. "We will be down the reef a bit." The sailor points to a smallish flat area a few hundred feet away. As you dock, you can almost feel the sadness of the moan rush through your bodies as a long wail drifts from somewhere in the ship itself.

Map 0 is the main deck
Viktor
 player, 357 posts
Mon 28 Sep 2015
at 23:45
Ghosts in the Machine
This ship is a little on the creepy side...gets out of the boat and offers his hand to whomever needs a hand out of the boat...looking around a little as he helps everyone else out of the boat...
Berta
 player, 120 posts
 from Ilmiora
Tue 29 Sep 2015
at 13:20
Ghosts in the Machine
With her hands braced on the gunwales, Berta uses her weight to steady the craft as everyone gets off, before stepping carefully to join them and cast off the lines for the crew.  "Be prepared to put your backs into it when we call," she warns them grimly, as the long wail fades away, "there may be some who might dispute our taking of the device we need to guide the Mistress from this chill Sphere."
Viktor
 player, 359 posts
Tue 29 Sep 2015
at 15:29
Ghosts in the Machine
We never make enemies when we leave...so do you think this ship will be on fire by the time we leave...laughs as he gets off the boat as gently as he can and goes off to the side and pulls out his mighty axe...swings it around a few times and joins the group...
Rael Gol
 player, 215 posts
Tue 29 Sep 2015
at 19:20
Ghosts in the Machine
"With our luck?" Rael mutters "It would be infested with flesh eaten devil worms the size of a dog and would sink to the abyss while being consumed by witch fire..."

Shaking his head he make his way to the alien deck trying to stay as far as possible from alien things that seemed to resonate from evil... and if you ask how he knew what resonate from evil... that was simple everything was.
Angrboda
 player, 239 posts
Tue 29 Sep 2015
at 20:00
Ghosts in the Machine
Angrboda looks around the ship, "I am sure that you will take care of any enemies we make while we are here Viktor." she says as she scans the ship, "Why is it made of bone?  That is hardly the best material around to make a ship out of." she shrugs, "Huh.  Well I suggest we start over there, that place looks important." she finishes pointing at the little door on the deck.

OOC:  The door at the south end of the boat.
Viktor
 player, 362 posts
Wed 30 Sep 2015
at 04:32
Ghosts in the Machine
Are you sure this is a ship and not a huge fish that is dead from the water?  If I don't kill all of our enemies Rael will just start em on fire anyways.... looks around the ship for anything of importance and follows the group a couple of steps behind everyone else in case he has to start swinging....



23:34, Today: Viktor rolled 35 using 1d100.  search.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:37, Wed 30 Sept 2015.

Rael Gol
 player, 216 posts
Wed 30 Sep 2015
at 18:32
Ghosts in the Machine
Rael follows Angrboda and Viktor to the doorway leading to the inside of the ship "Maybe it was alive and died?" he asked "Or maybe whomever made this thing wanted to scare anyone who saw it." He tries to strain his ears and other senses to see if he could sense anything aboard this huge dead vessel.
The Grey Lords
 GM, 357 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Wed 30 Sep 2015
at 23:38
Ghosts in the Machine
Climbing up the ladder you reach the main deck of the huge vessel. The glossy black material seems to make up everything aside from the bone superstructure and the visible doors. While the gloss makes the deck appear to be slippery, you find that the material is quite the opposite. Both the large mainmast and foremast still hold tatters of the sail which appears to be made of a similar material as the Mistress's Sails. Near the center of the vast deck, you see an area marked off with large bulky letters. The letters are marked around what would be the area for loading large or bulky items into a ship. The hatch does not appear to have any rings or fasteners, and no easily visible way from opening it from the top deck.

Easily moving about the deck the moaning seems to come from inside the ship proper. Scattered about the top deck are boxes made of similar material as the ship, though matte-black in color. Making your way towards the door at the base of the spires, you get the feeling that you are being watched. You move a bit closer to the door when a small humanoid figure steps out from behind one of the boxes a few dozen feet away. Appearing more or less human, the figure stands just under 5' (1.5m) tall, has dirty and matted russet brown hair, and an unusual shade of bright pink skin. It's large, saucer like, eyes are nearly all pupil. In addition you notice that it lacks both ears and a mouth. The clothing appears to be made of a navy blue cotton fabric. The somewhat worn pants and shirt have a single stripe of yellow along the side seams of each garment. The pitiful looking creature looks undernourished with leathery skin. Looking at you, it holds it's hands at it's side with it's palms open.
Viktor
 player, 363 posts
Thu 1 Oct 2015
at 17:02
Ghosts in the Machine
Hey does anyone else see the little alien elf? sets his axe on the ground and grabs some jerky and a biscuit and goes closer offering it to him...takes a drink of wine and offers that to him as well...
Rael Gol
 player, 217 posts
Thu 1 Oct 2015
at 17:07
Ghosts in the Machine
Rael had his knife ready, he did not like this creature "Elf? I see a gremlin with no mouth or ears... I don't trust this thing." Rael glance around nervously, even before the ship had unnerved him and now he felt the cold sweat tickling down his back. There was an itch at his toe he could not get rid off and the thing who was all eye and no mouth was creeping him out beyond telling.
Angrboda
 player, 240 posts
Thu 1 Oct 2015
at 19:28
Ghosts in the Machine
For once Rael and Angrboda have the same reaction, Angrboda grasps her dagger and holds it firmly as the creature approaches, "Are you awake this time you little twat?" she whispers to the dagger.
Viktor
 player, 364 posts
Sat 3 Oct 2015
at 00:30
Ghosts in the Machine
I think he is just hungry and scared...otherwise we would already be dead...keep an eye on my axe..leaves his axe and makes his way to the little alien elf with food and drink in his hands...
Cirok
 player, 8 posts
 The Younger
Sat 3 Oct 2015
at 02:31
Ghosts in the Machine
Cirok was grateful for Berta's stabilizing the small craft as he and the others climbed aboard the dead ship, and he offered a smile of thanks as he passed the warrior woman on his way up the side of the giant vessel.  Upon reaching the deck he stood wide-eyed and took in the sight of it all, even going so far as to bend down and run his hand over the glossy black deck.  Once all were assembled he joined the group moving aft toward the lone doorway.

When the odd creature appeared from behind some of the stacked crates Cirok joined the rest in freeing a weapon, in his case the heavy-bladed cutlass.  But when the strange being did nothing overtly he lowered his sword and peered at it curiously, as though to divine its nature.  Seeing Viktor was intent on approaching the being, Cirok tried speaking words of reassurance in case the large warrior's appearance was too frightening for it.

"He means no harm," Cirok called out, though whether a creature with no ears could hear him was a good question.  "He offers food and drink."  A second salvo followed in another tongue.  [Language unknown:  "A cellas i ivech, t menstiest noek ceni ilreas."]
Berta
 player, 121 posts
 from Ilmiora
Sat 3 Oct 2015
at 07:19
Ghosts in the Machine
Viktor getting off the skiff as gently as he can still requires a lot of effort on Berta's part, using her weight to compensate for his, and she shares a grin with Cirok as he heads up the ladder just before she sends the crew on their way to the reef.

The deck is odd, almost a tar-like substance, though it is the tattered sails that interest the warrior woman mostly.  "Bad weather ... or something else ?" she muses as she stares up.  [Private to GM: if she can find any scraps of the material on the deck, or reach up to grab, she'll do so - anything will do, but if choice, then perhaps a blanket sized piece.  :>]

But her attention is drawn away by Viktor's question and her eyes narrow as she sees the strange creature, her hand halfway to her blade before the big man surprises her.  Nodding, she leaves her sword holstered, picking up his axe and holding it down by her side as she awaits his and Cirok's attempts to treat with it, looking about the deck of the ship to see if any more of the creatures are drawn out.
Angrboda
 player, 241 posts
Sat 3 Oct 2015
at 07:56
Ghosts in the Machine
Angrboda quickly looks at Cirok when he speaks in the High Tongue, "Need to watch out for him." she thinks as she turns her attention back to Viktor, "Hey Viktor, what if his favorite type of food is macho Pan Tangian?" she asks, hoping to dissuade him from his foolishness.
The Grey Lords
 GM, 358 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Sat 3 Oct 2015
at 13:40
Ghosts in the Machine
The short humanoid holds it's ground as Viktor approaches. Raising it's right hand it holds the palm straight in front of him, up at a 45 degree ascension. It then sweeps that hand in a downward motion like it is cupping something and brings the hand back up to intersect it's other hand, now extended, into a horizontal |-. From slightly behind the figure you can see other movement. Catching glimpses, you can tell there are a few others, all hiding among the deck's refuse.

As Viktor approaches, holding out the offering, the humanoid quickly glances back at the others behind it. Cautiously the humanoid reaches out towards the offered items.  Once again a great moan drifts across the deck, this time you can tell it is coming from the bow of the ship. In that second of distraction the humanoid extends a singular finger and taps Viktor on the hand. [Secret to Viktor: "Your food may not sustain us, we are trapped and lost. Please help!"] [Private to Viktor: You feel a great sense of pity for these creatures. Obviously helpless, they seem to have no way to save themselves.]

The humanoid motions the the front of the ship and then to the door that the group was already heading for. [Secret to Viktor: "The rest of our crew has gone mad and held up in the bow of the ship with the remaining supplies. The open is not safe, they have the weapons, we should head inside the towers. It is safe there!"]

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:26, Fri 09 Oct 2015.

Viktor
 player, 365 posts
Sun 4 Oct 2015
at 05:02
Ghosts in the Machine
Looks at the group with a sad look in his face and showing concern...we are looking for a part to fix our ship...help us and you and your friends will come with us...if you would like is there a way to end your brothers madness and take their weapons...
The Grey Lords
 GM, 359 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Sun 4 Oct 2015
at 11:35
Ghosts in the Machine
When Viktor boldly offers his group help to remedy the situation four more of the individuals creep out from behind the refuse. Other than slightly different shades of hair, the only real way to tell them apart are in their clothes. All four of them wear the worn navy blue pants and shirts, the only distinction between them is the stripe running down the side. Colors of Blue, Red, Deep Orange, and Green are all visible. None of them hold any weapons and they all have that undernourished gaunt look to them. [Secret to Viktor: "Your arrival would have been seen by the mad ones, we should leave the deck."]

The one with the yellow stripe takes Viktors hand and motions towards the door.

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:26, Fri 09 Oct 2015.

Viktor
 player, 366 posts
Sun 4 Oct 2015
at 21:09
Ghosts in the Machine
let me get my axe and we will follow...holds his hand for a second...puts away his food and drink and walks over to grab his axe...looking at the rest of the group and shrugs hoping macho nachos was not on the menu...
Rael Gol
 player, 218 posts
Sun 4 Oct 2015
at 21:42
Ghosts in the Machine
Rael place a hand on Viktor arm, he speaks softly to his ears alone "Viktor, I'm happy you are able to ahm communicate with these people... but I don't think you should promise something is not yours to give like well passage on the ship." Rael glance at those people, more and more seem to pour around, people was a very broad term for them and he still did not know how much one can trust someone without a mouth.

"Maybe they can tell us what is this vessel and what had happened here?" he asks the big Pang Tangian.
Angrboda
 player, 242 posts
Mon 5 Oct 2015
at 07:44
Ghosts in the Machine
Angrboda watches the exchange between Viktor and the creature as is wont to happen many questions enter her head but she does not voice them at the moment.  Taking advantage of the "chaos" however she attempts to slip away when the party goes through the door to get a better view of things without a "guide" interfering with her investigation.
Berta
 player, 122 posts
 from Ilmiora
Mon 5 Oct 2015
at 14:20
Ghosts in the Machine
Berta passes Viktor his axe, though shares Rael's misgivings about the promises the big Pan Tangian is making to the small creatures, though they seem to understand him well enough.

The warrior woman is no more keen than Angrboda to explore with so many heralds to proclaim the group's passage, and lags to the rear, aiming to keep an eye out for ambush should they be led into a trap, inadvertently or now.

Seeing the Melnibonean's desire ... and remembering the chaos that erupted the last time she struck out on her own (or with Viktor in tow, which undoubtedly added fuel to the flames), Berta nods silently, raising a questioning brow, a finger flicking from herself to Angrboda in a gesture that she hopes imparts 'do you wish me to come with you ?'
Viktor
 player, 367 posts
Tue 6 Oct 2015
at 00:58
Ghosts in the Machine
looks at Rael and puts his arm on his shoulder as he grabs his axe from Berta...I am sure Maria would love to have a fleet of aliens working for her..not to mention if we are able to get the weapons from the mad ones we could take those back...think of their knowledge on alien herbs...nods at Berta as he grabs his axe back...and goes back to the alien to follow it..
Cirok
 player, 9 posts
 The Younger
Tue 6 Oct 2015
at 01:02
Ghosts in the Machine
Cirok moved with the group, nearer the front than the back since he best knew what they were looking for within the ship.  He relied on Viktor as a shield of sorts but also as their go-between, for it seemed the big warrior had established some sort of rapport with the diminutive crew.  Unless they were just convinced fresh food had arrived...
Rael Gol
 player, 219 posts
Tue 6 Oct 2015
at 04:12
Ghosts in the Machine
"How about we ask her before we assume we know something about our host whom we met just a scant hours ago..." Rael pause "Wait... what weapons and what mad ones?" he asks shaking his head looking around waiting for something to leap at him from the shadows.
Viktor
 player, 368 posts
Tue 6 Oct 2015
at 15:50
Ghosts in the Machine
He had said there are many more of his brothers watching us but they have gone crazy from this place and of course the crazy ones have all of their alien weapons and are watching us right now...therefore, we need to follow him into the towers for safety...Cirok are you able to communicate with Maria...ask her advice on this...I will not leave them here to die...as he follows the little alien elfs to hopefully safety...
The Grey Lords
 GM, 361 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Wed 7 Oct 2015
at 00:23
Ghosts in the Machine
You allow yourselves to be lead towards the door at the base of the towers, each of the humanoids move to pair off with each of you. As they approach, each one mimics the hand gesture that the original humanoid did with Viktor. Reaching out, each one gently extends a finger to tap you on the hand. "We must hurry, the towers are safe, we can talk in there." After a few moments you realize that you did not truly hear it with your ears, rather your ears felt an "echo" of speech in your native language. Each one of the small figures motions towards the tower door.

As you approach you can see that the door is comprised of a material similar to that of the bone superstructure. The figure with the yellow stripe moves forward briskly towards the opening, not extending it's hand, merely moving forward with a purpose. At roughly 3' (1m) away the door slides open along a diagonal bisecting line. You see a second set of doors on the opposite side opening along an opposite diagonal bisecting line. In all, the two ivory colored doors are no thicker than any standard wooden frame. No hinges can be seen, though you can see that the door is set into the framework and follows a groove along the threshold.

A blast of cool air slides out the door as you get near. The inside of the room is made of a mixture of the bone and glossy material. The floors retain the glossy black, while much of the room fixtures are of the bone material. The room is split into two levels. The rear portion stands over 15' (4.5m) from the floor and is accessible by a bone stairway. There are two similar bone doorways to the left as you enter, and evidence of three more doorways on the raised area. The forward portion of the room is taken up with six cushion filled chairs each near a small semi-circular table with a multitude of switches, buttons, and lights. On the raised area is a slightly larger cushioned chair that is set near another semi-circular table with even more switches, buttons, and lights. At the base of the chair is a small matte black helmet, obviously the size of the humanoids that accompany you.

As the last person enters the room, the bone door slides shut. Almost instantly the noises of the outside cease, the only noise heard is of you moving about. The humanoids let you move about the room and take everything in. "We were stranded here when our ship hit a chaos storm. The whirlwind abandoned us here. The chaos made several crewmen go mad. The are holed in the bow of the ship with the remaining supplies. Guerrilla raids to kill us have left us to five. They have  taken all we have." Their tale rings a sense of sadness and desperation. The humanoids seem so pathetic and unable to do anything more. It is obvious that their will has been broken by having to fend off their own kinsman for so long.

[Private to Cirok: The chairs are similar to the chair that the Tenatir sits in when it is piloting the Rogue Mistress through each "jump".]
[Private to Cirok: It is obvious that they are "emitting" some sort of emotion response to get you to feel how "pathetic" they are.]
[Private to Berta: It is obvious that they are "emitting" some sort of emotion response to get you to feel how "pathetic" they are.]
[Private to Angrboda: It is obvious that they are "emitting" some sort of emotion response to get you to feel how "pathetic" they are. Also, choose me a door, during your wanderings you are able to slip off of the group.
07:00, Yesterday: The Grey Lords, on behalf of Angrboda, rolled 28 using 1d100.  Hide tn 60.
06:59, Yesterday: The Grey Lords, on behalf of Angrboda, rolled 43 using 1d100.  move quiet tn 60.
]

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:26, Fri 09 Oct 2015.

Viktor
 player, 370 posts
Wed 7 Oct 2015
at 03:40
Ghosts in the Machine
Tell us my friends, how can we defeat your mad crewmen and take their weapons...are we able to fix your ship or will you help us get the part we need for ours?  one of our own crewmen is dying right now from this place..do you have an extra boat to take to our ship? takes his axe and swings around a few times...getting the typical pissed off let's go chop up look Viktor gets in his eyes...when people or things start to die.

[Private to Viktor: As you are walking around, you see Angrboda slide out one of the doors on the top tier. The 3rd door from the left. As far as you can tell, no one else saw her slip out.]

This message was last edited by the player at 05:01, Thu 08 Oct 2015.

Rael Gol
 player, 220 posts
Wed 7 Oct 2015
at 20:33
Ghosts in the Machine
Rael make sure to steer clear from Viktor swings he turn to Cirok and Angrboda "Do we know where this thing we are looking for is?" he asks them.

Than he turn his attention to the gremlins "What kind of weapons the other crew members have? Are we talking weapon of steel or something more sinister?"
Viktor
 player, 371 posts
Thu 8 Oct 2015
at 05:05
Ghosts in the Machine
says in a quiet voice to Rael...Angrboda just slipped out a door up there...tell Berta to be prepared in case something happens..nods up where he saw Angrboda last...then looks back at his elf friend and holds his hand out to him to get some answers from him...
Berta
 player, 123 posts
 from Ilmiora
Thu 8 Oct 2015
at 14:42
Ghosts in the Machine
Berta had intended to follow Angrboda ... but she delayed too long, unable to simply slip away once the small creature took her large hand in its own.  The warrior woman finds the voice in her head most discomfiting, and it is all she can do not to snatch her hand back from its grasp, leaving her distracted and with little sympathy for their plight.

"Whether they are victims of the madness, or the prey of those who have succumbed, they were all crew upon this demon ship," Berta reminds Viktor bluntly, concerned that the big man will risk his own, or all of their lives upon the whim of a compassion that seems much unlike him.

She shrugs. "Yet if these madmen have what we need, then perhaps your Lord Donblas will see the justice in it, though I prefer to think of it as balancing the scales."

She looks around, not so much at the strange machinery, though that too is disturbing, but chafing at the Melnibonean's absence and expecting alarums to be sounded at any moment.
Viktor
 player, 372 posts
Fri 9 Oct 2015
at 05:17
Ghosts in the Machine
spins his axe around sets the blade down for now as he waits for the alien elf to answer some of the questions...Berta I think they need our help and in return we get what we want...I think Lord Donblas would like to see some mad alien elf heads go rolling along the ground...hope Angrboda is behaving herself, then again we should probably go kill something soon or give Rael a burning log and let him have fun...lets out a demonic sounding laugh...
Rael Gol
 player, 221 posts
Fri 9 Oct 2015
at 07:08
Ghosts in the Machine
Rael blink in surprise he was sure the hell maiden was just behind him she was a lot stealthier than he thought. "Fine..." he mumbles "I guess no one will be happy until Viktor will unleash his inner Pan Tangian on some evil mad gremlins... lets go."

He glance at Cirok and Berta "For the sake of us who do not wield a ridiculously large battle axe and are armoed with an inch of steel, shell we make some plan or Viktor you just plowe ahead and we cover your rear?"
The Grey Lords
 GM, 362 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Fri 9 Oct 2015
at 12:38
Ghosts in the Machine
The humanoids let the party poke around and look at the various things. They also seem oblivious as to where the fifth member went. Standing in a small huddle one of the chair/table combinations on the ground floor they continue answering what they can. "We are not sure what is still working. This place seems dead. Energy slowly dies. Last attack was with clubs. They are mad. Madness wanted to play with our insides. We don't know why you are here. We know that you can save us." They remain in close proximity to each other the entire time. Their overall mannerisms and actions just seem off. Almost puppet-like, you rarely see them show any sort of emotion, including blinking their eyes. While you can tell that they are concerned, it is more akin to a gut feeling than any indicator or body language.

"They are in the hold. Near the Bow. The way down is through the far door." The yellow striped one points to the eastern most door. "In the corridor. First door to the left. North door to bay. Water fills the area. You are taller. No problem for you. In show of mercy, you could just capture? Sick minds can be healed. No harm we wish of them. They are still our crew." In your curiosity of the room, and the disappearance of Angrboda, you realize that the beings no longer need contact to transmit. They have been able to communicate with little deviance to their "voice".


*Updated Threads so that I'm not using same voice color as Cirok*

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:27, Fri 09 Oct 2015.

Cirok
 player, 10 posts
 The Younger
Fri 9 Oct 2015
at 13:12
Ghosts in the Machine
Cirok was as surprised as any when the strange crewmen "spoke" back.  It was a strange method of communication but the sailor was intrigued and steeled himself against its strangeness.  The emotional transfer was the hardest part to endure and left a somewhat sour expression on his face.  He hoped the little crewmen were not offended by his reaction.

The bridge (for that was how Cirok interpreted the room) immediately captured his curiosity and he began examining the panels in an attempt to divine the likely intentions of each station.  Most of it was anyone's buses, but a few aspects appeared similar to the place the Tenatir sat when piloting the Rogue Mistress.  He did not see any sign of the device they sought, and was about to ask about it when Rael spoke up and then Angrboda was discovered missing.

"No, I do not know where the device is located.  Likely somewhere closer to the engine that drives the ship.  This appears to be the bridge or navigation station, where the ship would be guided from." Cirok's expression was cross though not directed at Rael, and his gaze slid to the various doors in the room as though to divine the Melnibonean's escape route.  "Where has she gone?" he asked under his breath, frustration evident.

"Did anyone see where Angrboda went?  Do we know she left, or if she was taken?" These questions were directed at his boarding party, himself not having much sense of their various personalities yet.  Was this something the sorceress did often?  Only her companions could tell him.  "We really should be staying together.  We have no idea what's on this ship, and no time for individual dalliances if we are to escape on the 'Mistress and save your other friend."

Once any exchange about Angrboda was concluded Cirok turned his attention to the device they were sent to retrieve.  "Let me ask a few questions of our hosts to see if they might know the whereabouts of our goal." So saying, he turned to the diminutive crewmen and asked after the navigation component, describing it in general terms and asking if any knew its location aboard the ship.
The Grey Lords
 GM, 363 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Fri 9 Oct 2015
at 16:43
Ghosts in the Machine
"We have not seen one like what you describe. There are many machines that are close. Each tower has a purpose. Feel free to look."

Cirok begins to test out each of the stations. Some of the controls ring familiar to that of the Mistress, at least in appearance. However with the discovery that the six workstations having no response to anything he does, there is little beyond speculation. Moving to the top station bring a bit more information. The top console's buttons light up or go dark when pressed. It appears that the top console is still in working condition, though all attempts at gaining a response other than lighting up the buttons proves useless.
[Private to Cirok: From what you can gather. The upper seat would be the helmsman seat. Each of the smaller workstations all appear uniform in appearance. If they could be activated somehow you might be able to gain more information. On the Mistress, the Tenatir's spot (the Navigator) is closer to the engines. This location would be more akin to the aftcastle and wheel.]
Viktor
 player, 373 posts
Fri 9 Oct 2015
at 19:51
Ghosts in the Machine
Cirok Angrboda slipped out a door up there...she does that often...are you finding what we need?points where he saw Angrboda last...
Rael Gol
 player, 222 posts
Fri 9 Oct 2015
at 20:25
Ghosts in the Machine
"You heard that Viktor? we need to capture the mad ones not kill them. Make sure you hit them with the flat of your axe."

Turning to one of the muppets "You, what can you tell me about your physiology works, I can concoct a knockout potion to coat our blades or spread around but I am not sure how close you are to humans to be affected."
Viktor
 player, 374 posts
Sat 10 Oct 2015
at 04:08
Ghosts in the Machine
Fine I won't chop up any evil muppets, but it isn't my fault if they accidentally fall into my blade and their head rolls off...now is it...frowns for a second and then lets out a loud crazy laugh...wonder if there is any rope or something we could use...tie them up like a string of fishies...takes a drink of wine and laughs again...and then starts looking around for a rope or something...




23:10, Today: Viktor rolled 89 using 1d100.  search

This message was last edited by the player at 04:11, Sat 10 Oct 2015.

Berta
 player, 124 posts
 from Ilmiora
Sat 10 Oct 2015
at 05:36
Ghosts in the Machine
Berta nods as Viktor confirms Angrboda's departure.  "I'd thought to accompany her ... but found myself entrapped," she smiles a half-smile.  "Worry not about her," the warrior-woman tells Cirok.  "She'll probably find the device before we do, though perhaps not without bloodshed."

Capturing the creatures sounds more palatable, though ... "You said 'madness wanted to play with our insides' ?" she asks their guides.  "Do you mean that madness drove them, or the madness tried to take you as well as them ?"

"I can fight man or demon, but if our minds are to be assailed ... then yes, I wish most fervently that Angrboda was with us, for I think she alone might counter such spells," Berta looks hopefully to Rael raising a brow, thinking that perhaps he might concoct a potion that might protect them.
Cirok
 player, 11 posts
 The Younger
Mon 12 Oct 2015
at 15:38
Ghosts in the Machine
"I do not think the device is in these panels here," Cirok replied to Viktor, after acknowledging the information he and Berta provided about Angrboda.  It didn't lessen his frustration but he realized there was little he could do about the missing Melnibonean now.  And finding the device had to be their priority.  He probed further with the crewman who'd answered his previous questions.

"You say the towers each have a purpose.  Do you know which tower is associated with navigation of the ship?  And which is associated with the engines that sail her?" 
Viktor
 player, 375 posts
Mon 12 Oct 2015
at 22:48
Ghosts in the Machine
Should we split up and try to take care of the mad crewman...wonder what Angrboda is doing?walks around looking for anything useful...
Cirok
 player, 12 posts
 The Younger
Tue 13 Oct 2015
at 00:19
Ghosts in the Machine
"No!" Cirok replied sharply to Viktor's question, before calming his reaction.  "We don't need to further dilute our strength.  We find the device first and get it to the 'Mistress.  Then we can find Angrboda and deal with the creatures on this ship to the best of our ability."

"If we don't recover the device, none of the rest matters."

The Grey Lords
 GM, 364 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Tue 13 Oct 2015
at 03:04
Ghosts in the Machine
The strange voice echos across your minds in response to all the questions. "Your speech is different. They are mad. Madness wants to infect us all. They shut off the machines and left us to all come mad. They control the power, with no power we are stranded. Madness came and took them one by one." The yellow striped humanoid looks around as if to get his bearings. "I think what you need is through the door over there." It points to the far eastern door.

The one with the green stripe on his clothes focuses on Rael Gol. "I do not know how similar we are. I can volunteer to test it for you." It holds out an emaciated hand. "With you to protect us, we can see how long it knocks our kind out."

The yellow striped one once again takes over the "conversation". "With your other member gone, we are afraid the madness may have taken them. Some turned fast while others, like ourselves, have been able to hold out. You are welcome to move about as you need. We will lock the outer door so that they are not able to enter from that direction."
Rael Gol
 player, 223 posts
Tue 13 Oct 2015
at 20:43
Ghosts in the Machine
Rael pull his bag of herbs and begins mixing and brew a make shift potion. He tries to measure the weight of the muppet and goes to create a mild contact sedative.

When he is done, he would pour some on the muppet outstretched arm.
Viktor
 player, 377 posts
Tue 13 Oct 2015
at 22:59
Ghosts in the Machine
Rael test your muppet brew and then we will go look for this device through those doors...is that ok with you Croak? looks at Cirok and starts laughing as he waits for Rael's experiment.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:20, Tue 13 Oct 2015.

Berta
 player, 125 posts
 from Ilmiora
Wed 14 Oct 2015
at 13:21
Ghosts in the Machine
Berta's lips narrow as Cirok harshly naysays Viktor's rash suggestion.  "Take care," she warns the sailor levelly.  "Our friend is not one to shy from a challenge."  She smiles to show her words do not imply criticism.

"I think this place itself must bring the madness.  The strong-willed or lucky can resist, but in time all must fall.  The sooner we can find the device, the better - and our friends have earned our help - if we can save them and perhaps their brethren, then we must try."  In this regard at least she agrees with the big Pan Tangian, her earlier misgivings somewhat alleviated by their guides' explanations, or perhaps the fear that she and her companions may soon be equally afflicted.

"Try not to go mad," she pats Viktor's arm.  "I do not welcome the thought of facing your axe."

"I still have the concoction you brewed back at the Queen's Palace," she reminds Rael, "if that is of any use ... though you may need to dilute it somewhat."
Viktor
 player, 378 posts
Thu 15 Oct 2015
at 04:36
Ghosts in the Machine
Don't worry about me going mad Berta...that happened a long time ago...mother insisted...laughs loudly and rudely...takes a drink out of his winesack and offers it to Cirok...We need to get going, we are taking too long...

This message was last edited by the player at 15:39, Thu 15 Oct 2015.

Cirok
 player, 13 posts
 The Younger
Thu 15 Oct 2015
at 15:45
Ghosts in the Machine
Cirok nodded as he listened to the response from the little crewmen, noting the eastern door through which they guessed the device might lay, and agreeing that locking the door to the deck behind them would be wise.  He did ask for a quick demonstration though - it wouldn't do for the crewmen to be the only ones who could unlock the door if they all needed to flee in a hurry.  "Let me watch how you do that," he instructed the odd little creature.  "I want to be able to lock and unlock it myself, if need be."

He flashed a wry look to Berta, and then frowned again as Viktor mispronounced his name once more.  He did not doubt it was on purpose, so he ignored it.  "Yes, through the eastern door once Rael has tested his potion.  I agree we must move along.  The nature of this place saps energy and we don't want to suffer from its effects any longer that we have to."

The sailor watched as Rael finished up, interested in the effects but also anxious to get moving.  The ominous fate of Khazim could await them all if they stayed too long.
Rael Gol
 player, 224 posts
Thu 15 Oct 2015
at 16:29
Ghosts in the Machine
Rael glance at Berta and nods, he was too absorb in his work to answer only to outstretch his hand waiting for the potion.
The Grey Lords
 GM, 365 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Thu 15 Oct 2015
at 23:52
Ghosts in the Machine
The humanoid with the green stripe allows Rael Gol to anoint it's hand with the potion. "Is it work by touch?" your own language echoes in your skull. After a few moments the green striped humanoid begins to waver. Staggering a bit, it falls to the ground with a light thud. Head rolling off to the side you see that the body has become completely limp.

The remaining humanoids stare at the limp form. Turning back to the group you can see that the expression has changed very little. A hint of interest with a majority of blank, colors it's face. "The sensor on the outside of the door can be made to not work. It will allow us to leave, but no one to enter. We simply cover the sensor. The mad ones do not think straight. They have not find it out yet."
[Private to Rael Gol: You get a warm feeling of accomplishment as you see your handiwork perform as you intended. You see the humanoid resting comfortably on the ground]

The humanoids stand between the six tables and the outer doorway, still huddled together, watching the crew as they chat among themselves. "We will stay and rest till you return. The couches are restful. Do not worry about the asleep on. We will watch." Seeing the test work, the humanoids motion towards the eastern door. "May you find your friend. Hope she is not already mad."

[Private to Viktor: You see the potion work as intended. You are pumped to go and capture some of those insane Muppets! Pay them back for everything they did to the crew!]




18:31, Today: Secret Roll: The Grey Lords, on behalf of Rael Gol, rolled 15 using 1d100.  Physik tn 49. - Judge humanoid
18:31, Today: Secret Roll: The Grey Lords, on behalf of Rael Gol, rolled 44 using 1d100.  Potions tn 80.

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:12, Sat 17 Oct 2015.

Rael Gol
 player, 225 posts
Fri 16 Oct 2015
at 05:14
Ghosts in the Machine
Rael kneel next to the sleeping muppet checking vitals, as much as one can check vitals on an alien being such as it. When he stands up he has a soft smile on his lips "Good..." turning to the other he allocate into small flasks the potion offering each a flask. "This is a contact poison, it will render these ahm human like being asleep I guess... it is delivered by contact, just pour this on the flat of your blade and touch open skin... no need to cut crush or anything." the last he looks purposely at Viktor.

"I am ready... lets go."
Viktor
 player, 380 posts
Fri 16 Oct 2015
at 16:36
Ghosts in the Machine
We are coming little mad muppets....Takes his winesack back...a little offended Cirok did not take it...sees the potion work and jumps up and lets out a loud battlecry warning the muppets he is coming to get them and hoping Angrboda hears it...puts his axe back on his back and pulls out his sack of bolts to dip in the potion...little safer then his axe....
Berta
 player, 126 posts
 from Ilmiora
Sat 17 Oct 2015
at 05:56
Ghosts in the Machine
Berta snorts at the small creature's suggestion that Angrboda might be driven mad, but keeps her thoughts on the matter to herself.

Like Viktor, she chooses not to use her allotment of Rael's concoction to coat her sword, leaving her blade sheathed at her side and instead annointing the brass fretwork of her gauntlets, holding her hands on their sides that any spillage falls to the floor and does not run down the glove.

Done, she nods her readiness to Cirok.
The Grey Lords
 GM, 366 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Sat 17 Oct 2015
at 12:42
Ghosts in the Machine
The group gathers their things, anoints what they will with Rael's potent brew and moves towards the eastern door. When you approach, as with the other doors, it slides silently open allowing access to the space behind. The door opens to a long curving hallway made of the same materials as the rest of the ship. Littered down the hallay are a handful of bodies of other crewmen, similar to the ones you just left. Some of the bodies appear to be fleeing something while others are crumpled on the ground.

You can see three other doors, all made of the same thin bone like material, down the stretch. One each of the doors you can see markings, similar to those on the outside deck. None of the doors stand open and none appear to have had any tampering done. If this is the way Angrboda went, there is no trace.

Ohh yeah, Updated the maps

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:06, Sat 17 Oct 2015.

Berta
 player, 127 posts
 from Ilmiora
Sat 17 Oct 2015
at 13:07
Ghosts in the Machine
"Suppose any door is as good as another," Berta shrugs stopping at the first and scanning the blank panel.  "Hope you were paying attention," Berta smiles at Cirok as she invites him to try his hand at opening it.

The warrior woman takes a step back to give the sailor room to work, should he need it ... but also to give her a running start should there be any of the madmen beyond the portal.
Rael Gol
 player, 226 posts
Sat 17 Oct 2015
at 16:22
Ghosts in the Machine
"Wait..." Rael says, he pulls out his knife and try to scratch the wall "These corridors can be confusing we better mark our path."
Viktor
 player, 381 posts
Sat 17 Oct 2015
at 18:53
Ghosts in the Machine
Good idea Rael on marking the walls...should I use my axe to mark them?follows in the back of the group in case someone attacks from behind...
The Grey Lords
 GM, 367 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Sun 18 Oct 2015
at 03:18
Ghosts in the Machine
Rael takes out one of his knives and moves over near the door you just passed through. Taking the tip he attempts to etch a symbol into the wall only to find that the point of his dagger does nothing to mar the glossy black surface. Putting his back into it, Rael tries again with the same results. Only the glossy black surface shining back at him mockingly.
Viktor
 player, 382 posts
Sun 18 Oct 2015
at 04:59
Ghosts in the Machine
watches as Rael's blade does nothing...before anyone says anything sets down his bolts and grabs his axe and takes a swing at the wall in an upward motion...just to try to shave off a layer...
The Grey Lords
 GM, 368 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Sun 18 Oct 2015
at 11:28
Ghosts in the Machine
Seeing Rael fail at making even the tiniest scratch, Viktor feels his manhood challenged. Giving everyone else little time to react in such narrow quarters Vikitor's axe slices through the air. Viktor's giant two handed axe makes contact with the wall there is a tiny spark, as when flint is first struck.

The wild look in Viktor's eye is replaced with a look of disbelief. Where the axe struck there is a bare hint of a scratch. If looked at in the right angle you can see where contact with the wall was made by the Lormyian Axe by the tiny dull line.

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:24, Sun 18 Oct 2015.

Cirok
 player, 14 posts
 The Younger
Sun 18 Oct 2015
at 14:26
Ghosts in the Machine
Cirok watched Rael try to mark the wall, curious to see his success but not surprised when the blade did nothing to mar the surface.  He was not ready for Viktor's more robust attempt and had to jump slightly out of the way lest he get in the way of the mighty swing.  Wincing as a spark was struck when blade met wall, he then snorted softly under his breath as only the barest of marks was left on the wall's surface.

"Happy?" he asked Viktor, before casting his eyes about at the bodies on the floor.  "Why don't we point a body's arm in the right direction, or take off the shirt and ball it up beside the door we have used?  Or if anyone has something powdery, a biscuit we could crumble even, then we can mix it with some of Viktor's wine and smear the wall."  He looked pointedly at the spot the axe had barely smudged.  "Doesn't look like trying to cut or scrape the wall will do us much good."

Then he looked at the door's sensor and back to Berta.  "They didn't actually tell me how to open them, just how they would prevent the 'mad' ones from opening them.  But let me see if I can figure anything out."


OOC:

Grey Lords - Not sure what skill is most appropriate or what bonuses/penalties may apply, so please interpret this roll accordingly.

10:23, Today: Cirok rolled 64 using 1d100.  Figure out door sensor.

Viktor
 player, 383 posts
Sun 18 Oct 2015
at 16:12
Ghosts in the Machine
Seeing his mighty axe do hardly anything to the wall..shakes his head...What the bloody Hell is this wall made of..I want it for armor...and maybe a new axe handle...touches the spot that the axe dulled up...after hearing Cirok's comment about marking the walls with wine...NO ONE WASTES WINE!!!grabs his axe and cuts off an arm of one of the dead bodies and smears the blood all over the walls and starts laughing for several minutes and takes and swings the arm with blood flying around a little before pointing it in the right direction with its middle finger up...
Berta
 player, 128 posts
 from Ilmiora
Mon 19 Oct 2015
at 13:11
Ghosts in the Machine
"If you must, then just the doors we can open !" Berta struggles to contain her disgust at Viktor's unsubtle but undeniably effective solution.  "Not the whole damned place !"

"The madness of this sphere may be affecting him," she speaks in an undertone to Rael and Cirok nearby. "But only somewhat, I think.  Reckless and wild he may be, but this ..."

"Hurry,"
she nods to the sailor, wishing him luck, "the sooner we find something to occupy him the better it will be."
The Grey Lords
 GM, 369 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Mon 19 Oct 2015
at 14:34
Ghosts in the Machine
Viktor, in his usual thoughtfulness, rips the arm off of one of the corpses. Swinging it around like a rag doll he attempts to anoint the wall with it's fluids. Sadly, or luckily as the case may be, the plan is doomed to failure. The blood inside of the corpse has become thick and paste-like. Brushing the paste on to the wall results in little to no actual marking as the deep maroon is nearly lost on the black wall. The only tale-tell sign of his efforts is the dulling of the shine.

Cirok on the other hand has slightly better luck at figuring out the sensor system. With many of the doors he is able to deduce that it is motion activated. With a bit more luck he is able to track down the source of the sensor. Near each door is a tiny black "eyeball" (Very similar to the inhabitants eyes). Some are placed at the door's apex while others are placed to one side or the other. Doors such as the doors off of the main deck and the bridge have the sensor near the top. Other smaller doors, such as the three presented in the hallway, have them off to the side. By simply approaching or waving your hand in front of these eyeballs activates the mechanism to open the door. You also tend to notice that the smaller hallway doors you have to place/wave your hand fairly close to the eyeball in order for them to activate. Most logical explanation would be to prevent accidental door openings by those passing by.

The easiest way to knock out a sensor would be to cover the lens with something to prevent the eyeball from seeing. The coagulated blood from one of the bodies would do nicely if inclined to go that route.


09:23, Yesterday: Cirok rolled 64 using 1d100.  (Idea) Figure out door sensor. - Pass
09:28, Today: The Grey Lords, on behalf of Cirok, rolled 47 using 1d100.  Repair/Devise tn 48. - Pass

Rael Gol
 player, 227 posts
Tue 20 Oct 2015
at 16:56
Ghosts in the Machine
Rael cringe back, twice once when Viktor swing his axe madly about and again when he chop off one of the dead muppet arm. Shaking his head at Berta "No, ever since I met him he had a certain fascination with chopping dead people arms and swinging them about."

He ponders and search his bag "Maybe I have some herb that would create a stain we could use on the walls."
Viktor
 player, 384 posts
Tue 20 Oct 2015
at 18:03
Ghosts in the Machine
Hey Croak do you want a hand?Not happy his first arm did nothing...goes and cuts another arm off with his small sword for a rougher cut and smears the blood across the door and the sensor...laughing while he does it...
Rael Gol
 player, 228 posts
Tue 20 Oct 2015
at 18:27
Ghosts in the Machine
Seeing Viktor is going a little to wild Rael move to intercept him, placing one pale soft hand on the Pan-Tangian giant arm "Peace Viktor... this is the demon in your heart you are better than that." he whispers soothly to the armored giant.
Cirok
 player, 15 posts
 The Younger
Wed 21 Oct 2015
at 00:18
Ghosts in the Machine
Cirok stared in dismay at the antics of the Pan-Tangian, including waving around dismembered arms and smearing blood on the wall and across the door's sensor.  Fortunately the dead had been so for long enough to leave little mess behind despite Viktor's efforts.  The sailor stayed clear of the large warrior until Rael reached in to try and calm him.

"I…Thank you Viktor," Cirok said cautiously, choosing his words with care, "but I think I've got the door figured out." He glanced about to the rest of the group to see if they were ready to go through the door, and when all were ready he activated the sensor to open the door.


OOC:

I am assuming two things - Viktor's swipe of the arm at the sensor didn't already open the door, and whatever congealed blood is left from the arm doesn't disable the sensor.  If the latter is true, Cirok will try to wipe it clean before opening the door.

Viktor
 player, 385 posts
Wed 21 Oct 2015
at 15:54
Ghosts in the Machine
So are we ready to go through the door?shakes the arm like he is scolding a dog or child...laughs and throws it on the ground near the door....puts his hand on Rael's shoulder at nods to him as he gets his bolts back out ready to tag some muppets..
The Grey Lords
 GM, 370 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Thu 22 Oct 2015
at 03:57
Ghosts in the Machine
Viktor lends a second hand to his attempt at being helpful, with little results. It seems as if the doors in the hallways have all been locked or disabled. While the sensor system operates much the same as the ones found on the bridge, these simply do not register for some reason. A bit of effort, and a crowbar, would be needed to pry open these doors.

Rael sets his knapsack on the floor and begins to rummage about. Sadly no herbs catch his attention. As he is about to give up in despair, a single piece of forgotten chalk slides out of a secondary compartment. The first attempt at marking the walls fails as the glossy material slides easily under the chalk leaving little marking. Moving about to try a second area, Rael comes across a bit of blood from Viktor's efforts. Absently he wipes it off with a bit of cloth. Attempting a second time he comes across a solution. To his amusement the tiny bit of moisture of the blood created enough friction to allow a decently visibly chalk line to appear.

At this point the door to the bridge slides shut plunging the corridor into a temporary darkness. Your eyes begin to adjust slowly as there is light in the corridor. A slight luminescence radiates down from the top of the curved hallway. Multiple lines run the length of the ceiling giving forth a trickle of blueish light. Your eyes adjust further to the dim light when you notice that the lines on the ceiling more resemble blood vessels than any else.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:06, Thu 22 Oct 2015.

Viktor
 player, 386 posts
Fri 23 Oct 2015
at 04:34
Ghosts in the Machine
walks up next to Rael...See Rael, I told you my idea would work...thanks my friend...pats Rael on the back and then steps aside and takes out his throwing knife and attaches it to the front of his armor in case he needs to use it and gets his bolts ready and waits to take up the back of the group...
Rael Gol
 player, 229 posts
Fri 23 Oct 2015
at 08:57
Ghosts in the Machine
Rael smiles warmly at Viktor "Thank you friend... lets go..." he waits for the more massive battle worthy members of the group to enter the new room before following them with the chalk in one hand and a blood soaked rag in the other.
Berta
 player, 130 posts
 from Ilmiora
Sat 24 Oct 2015
at 05:15
Ghosts in the Machine
Berta sighs in frustration as despite the best efforts of Viktor and Cirok the door fails to open.  "After all that ..."

But she is cut short by the sudden closing of the door behind them.  The warrior woman turns, fearing attack, only to adopt a less combative stance as her eyes gradually adjust to the dim lighting.

"We'll take the fore," she nods to Victor.  "You try the doors as we go," she tells Cirok.  "See if we can find one that will open for us."

"We're trying not to kill them, remember ?" Berta raises her brows at the knife the big Pan Tangian readies, but the smile on her lips takes any hint of rebuke from her words.
Cirok
 player, 16 posts
 The Younger
Sat 24 Oct 2015
at 12:27
Ghosts in the Machine
Relaxing a little as his eyes adapted the lower light of the corridor, Cirok still looked uneasily at the ribbons of light flowing down the hallway like so many veins in his arm.  Objects and machines were supposed to be just that, weren't they?

Berta's plan sounded reasonable, and the sailor nodded.  "Makes sense," he agreed before taking up his position in the queue.
Viktor
 player, 388 posts
Sat 24 Oct 2015
at 15:32
Ghosts in the Machine
Why does everyone think I enjoy killing or chopping off body parts...laughs as he cleans off some of the dead mutant blood still on him and attempts to pull apart the door with brute strength...
Viktor
 player, 390 posts
Sat 24 Oct 2015
at 18:07
Ghosts in the Machine
Does anyone else notice we are walking in a large artery...what if we hold a flame up to the moving vein parts? looks towards Rael who seems to be the group's pyro specialist..
Rael Gol
 player, 231 posts
Sat 24 Oct 2015
at 19:38
Ghosts in the Machine
Rael shakes his head placing one hand on the wall "This whole place looks like a giant animal... I am not sure how much it is still alive if at all." He rub the bridge of his nose thinking hard on the matter.
[Private to GM:
OOC:
If this was a living thing based on Rael knowledge of living things what would be the best way to make a door open (I'd say its like a valve in an artery).
]
Viktor
 player, 392 posts
Sun 25 Oct 2015
at 01:44
Ghosts in the Machine
Takes a bolt out and stabs the tip into the ceiling where it seems to be alive...just to see what it might do with the knockout juice on it...
The Grey Lords
 GM, 371 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Mon 26 Oct 2015
at 12:20
Ghosts in the Machine
Moving about you get used to this strange luminescence. As you approach each door you are met with the same results, nothing seems to be working. In frustration Viktor takes one of this bolts and jabs it into the ceiling with no effect. Taking turns at different doors both Cirok and Rael begin to fiddle with the doors and the corresponding mechanisms.


[Private to Rael Gol: Like most "animals" you know about the "knee-jerk" reaction. When you hit a body part at a certain part you can invoke an involuntary reaction. Sadly with the hard "skin" you are not finding this spot. Seeing that the eyeball is "separate" from the wall you may be able to pry it out to get to this softer spot.
07:05, Today: The Grey Lords, on behalf of Rael Gol, rolled 45 using 1d100.  Idea.
07:05, Today: The Grey Lords, on behalf of Rael Gol, rolled 75 using 1d100.  Physik.
]

[Private to Cirok: You see Rael also start to fiddle with the doors and their mechanisms. You do not see any external latches to allow for easier access and it is infuriating. That is until you remember a small incident aboard the Mistress where one of the crewmen had complained that there was "no power" to a particular item. He went and got Mikkl who started to trace "conduits" back to a "regulator". In the long run it was discovered that a "breaker" had tripped and was denying power. You think you remember the humanoids mentioning that the Power center was all the way at the front of the ship, in control of the mad ones. These creatures do not seem the physical type, so there should be an easy "switch" somewhere that the can access. Not that you like it, but their form of communication may mean that they can access things without touching, thus the trip mechanism may be behind the nearly impenetrable walls.
07:06, Today: The Grey Lords, on behalf of Cirok, rolled 55 using 1d100.  idea.
07:06, Today: The Grey Lords, on behalf of Cirok, rolled 94 using 1d100.  Repair/Devise.
]
Angrboda
 player, 245 posts
Mon 26 Oct 2015
at 15:32
Ghosts in the Machine
Angrboda moves out of the computer hallway quietly and goes to check the other doors on the bridge, searching for her comrades, listening at the doors and making note of where each one goes.

OOC:  08:31, Today: Angrboda rolled 95 using 1d100.  listen tn 67.
08:31, Today: Angrboda rolled 65 using 1d100.  Move Quiet TN: 60.

Or not....lol

Rael Gol
 player, 233 posts
Mon 26 Oct 2015
at 20:37
Ghosts in the Machine
"Viktor" Rael suggests "Can you please try to hit this spot with the pommel of your dagger?" he points at an eyeball sensor "I think if we could ahm jabb it strong enough it would open the door by kind of reflex."
Viktor
 player, 393 posts
Mon 26 Oct 2015
at 22:42
Ghosts in the Machine
shrugs and walks over...grabs his knife and turns the handle and hits where Rael points to...to see what happens...
Berta
 player, 131 posts
 from Ilmiora
Tue 27 Oct 2015
at 13:27
Ghosts in the Machine
"If it's alive then the flames might get a reaction," Berta agrees dubiously with Rael, watching with some trepidation as Viktor tries to stab one of the light-veins, relaxing somewhat as there is no noticeable response.

Rael Gol:
"Viktor" Rael suggests "Can you please try to hit this spot with the pommel of your dagger?" he points at an eyeball sensor "I think if we could ahm jabb it strong enough it would open the door by kind of reflex."

"I certainly would !" the warrior woman retorts, standing ready.
The Grey Lords
 GM, 373 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Tue 27 Oct 2015
at 13:47
Ghosts in the Machine
Viktor grumbles a bit as he uses the blunt end in the test. Rapping the pommel of the dagger against the eyeball he is rewarded with a tiny flinching of a door. The door in front of Viktor slides open a hair, however the real effect is when the door to the bridge area slides open.

Standing in the doorway, framed by the much brighter light of the bridge, is Angrboda. Light spills into the corridor causing everyone to blink for a second.

OOC Which door was the OTHER "monster" going to leap out of (Which door were you trying the sensor on?)
Angrboda
 player, 246 posts
Tue 27 Oct 2015
at 19:57
Ghosts in the Machine
Angrboda stares at Viktor strangely, "I am too late, you have already gone insane haven't you?" she asks as she wonders why he is knocking his knife handle on the wall, "You are supposed to hold the other end and while I agree that we should put the ship out of it's misery I don't think that is the way to do it.  Also," she says, looking around, "We need to find a private place to talk."
Rael Gol
 player, 234 posts
Tue 27 Oct 2015
at 21:29
Ghosts in the Machine
"Hello Angrboda, its good to see you again..." Rael says with a tense smiles, he himself was not sure how sarcastic he was "Do you know of anyplace private in this ship? I guess we could use this corridor once the door is closed."
Viktor
 player, 394 posts
Tue 27 Oct 2015
at 22:16
Ghosts in the Machine
Angrboda I missed you my love...like I wasn't already insanelaughs and runs over after putting his knife away and gives her a huge bear hug...
Angrboda
 player, 247 posts
Wed 28 Oct 2015
at 00:31
Ghosts in the Machine
...which she lithely dodges, staring at him and cocking her eyebrow, she then shrugs and turns to go into the next room muttering, "Human strangeness...."
Berta
 player, 133 posts
 from Ilmiora
Wed 28 Oct 2015
at 06:03
Ghosts in the Machine
Fully expecting something to leap out at them, Berta watches tensely as the door opens a crack, then whirls as the door at the end of the corridor slides fully open ...

... to breathe a sigh of relief as her eyes adjust to the brighter light and she sees Angrboda silhouetted in the doorway.  Only to raise her hands in exasperation as the big Pan Tangian rushes off to greet her.  "We're supposed to be standing guard !" she chides him, unsmiling.

"Come in," she calls down to the Melnibonean.  "That door should close behind you, then we can talk."  Which doesn't bode well.


OOC: not sure how far down we got - in the absence of any suggestions to the contrary, I suspect Rael had Viktor attempt the door at the far end of this short stretch of corridor, as we'd have unsuccessfully tried the rest on the way down the 'easy' way first ?  :>
The Grey Lords
 GM, 374 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Thu 29 Oct 2015
at 01:02
Ghosts in the Machine
Angrboda slides into the corridor with the rest of the party. At her sudden appearance Viktor completely forgets playing with the eyes and rushes the two dozen or so feet to fail at giving her a hug. Moving a bit further into the hallway the door closes as soon as a few feet are put between it and the nearest person. Once again the pale blue luminescence trickles from the ceiling to barely light the area. Angrboda, confident as always, marches into the room and turns left at the halfway door. Moving forward as if the door were not there, she is able to stop a mere breath away from the bone slab as it fails to open.




[Private to Angrboda: 19:55, Today: Secret Roll: The Grey Lords, on behalf of Angrboda, rolled 4 using 1d20.  Even - Left, Odd - Right Random Door.
In the pale light you are barely able to make out the near hidden markings next to each door. Left door - Cargo. Right door - Navigation. End door - Observatory.
An odd itch in the back of your mind is telling you that the doors do not have power.
]
Viktor
 player, 395 posts
Fri 30 Oct 2015
at 03:13
Ghosts in the Machine
Annoyed by the rejection..takes out his axe and uses the handle like a medieval pool cue and hits it hard against the eye sensor on the door closest to Angrboda....
Rael Gol
 player, 235 posts
Fri 30 Oct 2015
at 07:06
Ghosts in the Machine
It was nice to see that even the hell maiden was inflatable and that the doors of this place refuse her... it just made her appear more human.

Trying to hide his grin Rael adds "Viktor... let me try to remove the eye thing and than you use the butt of your axe on the hole."

Rael moves to stand next to Viktor with a knife in his hand, he waits for Viktor to clear him a room.
Viktor
 player, 397 posts
Fri 30 Oct 2015
at 12:54
Ghosts in the Machine
Stops and waits for Rael to move the sensor before he slams his mighty axe rod into the tiny hole...
Berta
 player, 134 posts
 from Ilmiora
Fri 30 Oct 2015
at 13:15
Ghosts in the Machine
"I do hope we find someone for him to hit soon," Berta comments wryly to Cirok as she looks on.
The Grey Lords
 GM, 375 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Fri 30 Oct 2015
at 16:17
Ghosts in the Machine
Rael takes his dagger and removes the "eye" from the side of door. Peering into the hole he sees various tendons and strings with nodules on them. Not so strangely enough, flashes of his early surgeon days rushes to the forefront of his mind. Just about ready to inspect the new semi-organic insides Rael is nudged aside as Viktor rams the spike end of his Lormyrian Axe into the opening. With a shudder the door sides open a bit further, almost loosely.

The door easily slides open into a large empty spire. On the walls of the spire are railings like those found on a stairwell. In an ascending spiral pattern you can see that the railings continue far into the top of the tower.


11:07, Today: The Grey Lords, on behalf of Rael Gol, rolled 42 using 1d100.  Physik tn 69. - Pass
[Private to Rael Gol: The way the door "slides" appart reminds you of when a tendon in someones leg is cut causing the leg to be essentially useless to the owner. However it is more than likely extremely easy to open now that there is nothing anchoring it.]
Rael Gol
 player, 237 posts
Fri 30 Oct 2015
at 16:26
Ghosts in the Machine
Armed with the knowledge of the now open door and a corridor full of doors, Rael choose a door to experiment if can open a door in a reversible fashion and without brute force.
Angrboda
 player, 248 posts
Sat 31 Oct 2015
at 00:33
Ghosts in the Machine
Angrboda shakes her head, "Hey guys I think these doors are turned off somehow.  If we go back to the other room I was in I think i should be able to turn them on." she explains as they try to molest the poor door.
Berta
 player, 135 posts
 from Ilmiora
Sat 31 Oct 2015
at 04:55
Ghosts in the Machine
"I like that plan," Berta agrees.  "Otherwise we'll end up with a trail of broken doors that we can't close behind us."
Cirok
 player, 17 posts
 The Younger
Sat 31 Oct 2015
at 14:37
Ghosts in the Machine
Cirok watched in dismay as Rael and Viktor began dismantling the door controls in an effort to find the way in.  He was so astonished he hadn't even managed a word of objection before Angrboda returned.  And then once the Melnibonean distraction ended, Cirok was surprised to see the vandals had actually succeeded!  The door was open, leading to a staircase that spiralled up to the top of a tower.

As the pair prepared to repeat their destructive process on another door, Cirok spared a glance to Berta and agreed with her assessment. "I am beginning to see the wisdom in your words," he allowed.

Angrboda's assessment brought him back around to the original issue, and he added his voice to hers.  "That was my assessment as well.  The power that runs these doors has been stopped and we must restore it if we are to get anywhere fast.  Tearing the controls apart may be effective, but not very expedient."

"You think you know where the power comes from?"
he asked Angrboda.  "Something you saw when you deserted us?"
Viktor
 player, 398 posts
Sat 31 Oct 2015
at 19:21
Ghosts in the Machine
Happy that him and Rael had accomplished opening the door....after hearing the others say stop destroying the doors...looks at Rael and starts to laugh loudly and points to Rael to blame him and laughs again.
Angrboda
 player, 249 posts
Sat 31 Oct 2015
at 21:13
Ghosts in the Machine
Angrboda regards Cirok coldly, "I did not abandon the group, I merely did not trust what I saw and took the opportunity to explore without strange creatures looking over my shoulder, and it is lucky I did.  I found some sort of central chamber called the computer, which showed me a moving picture of what happened on this ship.  These strange goat entities invaded and killed all of the Engineers, causing the ship to crash.  The ship is now in immense pain and wants us to kill it.  In order to do that we must find Those who remain which I can only assume means that some of the creatures actually survived and are hiding somewhere.  The ones we met however are not the ones we are looking for, I am pretty sure of that. she says, explaining what she learned, "Oh, by the way that door," she indicates the door on the right, "Goes to Navigation, which would seem to be where we might find the object we are looking for.  That door," she points to the one on the left, "Is a cargo bay, and that door." she points ahead, "Goes to an observatory."
Rael Gol
 player, 238 posts
Sat 31 Oct 2015
at 21:22
Ghosts in the Machine
Rael pause and turn to look at Angrboda "Wait, so we have three different being here? the original crew, the goat-like invaders and the goblins we met? how did the goblins mesh into this? also how do you know this computer did not lie to you?"
Angrboda
 player, 250 posts
Sat 31 Oct 2015
at 22:31
Ghosts in the Machine
"Well, I hadn't considered the fact that this computer thing might have lied to me, although I do not see what motivation it would have to do so." says Angrboda, "The goblins, as you call them, are the original occupants of the ship.  Although I believe there are two groups of them and the ones you have been talking to I believe are somehow reanimated dead.  These goat spirit things attacked the ship and caused it to crash."
Viktor
 player, 399 posts
Sun 1 Nov 2015
at 04:15
Ghosts in the Machine
So I was talking with a dead zombie goblin muppet?  Are the two other groups violent?  Do they need to be dealt with? ...gets a little excited and hopes he can finally kill something soon...sets his bolts down and gets his axe out and starts cleaning the blade with a scrap of clothing from a dead goblin muppet.
Berta
 player, 136 posts
 from Ilmiora
Sun 1 Nov 2015
at 06:14
Ghosts in the Machine
"I liked it when all I had to worry about was those two smashing the doors !"  Angrboda's explanation is beginning to hurt Burta's head.

"So this spirit of ship says it is in pain and wishes to die," she tries to make sense of it all.  "Our guides are dead, but have been reanimated ... what does that make the mad ones ?  Live or dead, mad or no ?"

"Perhaps dead but damaged, their minds gone ?"

"Will your concoction be effective against the dead ?" she asks Rael with some concern.
Rael Gol
 player, 239 posts
Sun 1 Nov 2015
at 08:14
Ghosts in the Machine
Rael hmms "I test my potion on one of them and it worked. I'm not a great expert on the undead but I don't think my brew would have worked on something not living. Beside I examined one and it felt alive... this whole thing a bloody mess and I feel everyone tries to manipulate us. Perhaps the best thing to just take what we need and go?"

Rael doesn't look to happy with the idea of bolting.
Berta
 player, 137 posts
 from Ilmiora
Sun 1 Nov 2015
at 13:07
Ghosts in the Machine
"Or they pretended it worked," Berta gets into the spirit of things, shaking her head in exasperation.

"I'd have thought it hard to fake being alive, though ..."

The warrior-woman sighs.  "Who knows the rights and wrongs of all this.  As Rael says, we should just get the device and leave."
Cirok
 player, 18 posts
 The Younger
Sun 1 Nov 2015
at 18:15
Ghosts in the Machine
Cirok accepted Angrboda's tone without flinching and at the end of her comment explained his perspective.  "Anyone leaving the group without comment or notice to anyone else undermines the team. I accepted the explanation provided by the rest this time, but now that we are all crew of the 'Maiden we must all behave as such."

"That being said, this information you have discovered is very useful.  Given the destructive nature of this plane," he continues, including all in his words now and essentially echoing Rael and Berta, "I think we should go after the navigation device first.  Once that is taken care of we can decide if trying to help those aboard, or the ship itself, is possible based on our circumstances at the time."

"I'm sure I don't need to remind you how our crewman Khazim is faring with the strange plane's affliction.  Delay in escaping does none of us any good."

Angrboda
 player, 251 posts
Sun 1 Nov 2015
at 23:21
Ghosts in the Machine
"You are crew of the Maiden." Angrboda corrects Cirok, "They are on a quest to remove demon hearts from their chests." she says, indicating the rest of the group, "I am along because I find them interesting and I am enjoying their adventures." she turns to face Rael, "I too believe that we need to find that which we came here to find.  After feeling the creature's pain that was used to make the ship I feel obligated to find the room I need to find to end its misery."

This message was last edited by the player at 23:24, Sun 01 Nov 2015.

Cirok
 player, 19 posts
 The Younger
Mon 2 Nov 2015
at 01:21
Ghosts in the Machine
With pursed lips and thoughtful eyes, Cirok regarded the Melnibonean a long moment but refrained from extending the disagreement.  There would be time to revisit the issue once they were back on the 'Maiden and away from this place.

"You said the navigation area is through this door?" he confirmed, pointing to the door Angrboda had earlier indicated.  "If it is just one door, it's probably faster to have Rael and Viktor disable it than go and figure out how to turn the power on."  Cirok glanced at all the faces gathered in the dimly lit hallway.  "Shall we just go ahead?"
Viktor
 player, 400 posts
Mon 2 Nov 2015
at 03:50
Ghosts in the Machine
nudges Rael and points towards the door...Come Rael let us destroy this door while the two girls are bickering back and forth...laughs and flips his axe around walking towards the door waiting for Rael to pull off the eye sensor again...
Berta
 player, 138 posts
 from Ilmiora
Mon 2 Nov 2015
at 12:59
Ghosts in the Machine
"Don't push it," Berta advises Cirok with a smile. "Once we're back on the Maiden, if the Captain has any complaints then she can voice them."

Viktor's response to opening the doors with brute force is mostly predictable, but Angrboda's surprises the warrior-woman.  She'd have wagered good coin that the Melnibonean lacked any form of compassion, much less any for a dying space-beast.  But since Angrboda is determined to end the creature's suffering, Berta is resolved to help ... could she do less ?!!

However, if the door is to be forced ... Berta takes up position nearby.
Rael Gol
 player, 240 posts
Mon 2 Nov 2015
at 13:14
Ghosts in the Machine
Rael moves to the door "Let me try something before you bash it in..." he tells Viktor. With a surgeon precision Rael try to remove the sensor and than gently prob the inside trying to find the nerve end to stimulate the door to open.
Viktor
 player, 402 posts
Tue 3 Nov 2015
at 12:45
Ghosts in the Machine
Has his axe ready to either stab the door open or whatever may be behind the door...waits to see what happens....
The Grey Lords
 GM, 376 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Tue 3 Nov 2015
at 13:29
Ghosts in the Machine
Rael slips his backpack off his shoulder and retrieves a small pouch of instruments. After several minuets of poking and prodding his efforts are rewarded. A slight application at one point causes the door to pop open about an inch. Reaching over Rael uses his dagger to give a slight twist between the door seams to test the door, which open quite easily at this point. The door opens into a room that has no angles what so ever. This extremely organic feeling room is taken up by one very large machine. Hanging over a all to familiar couch is a device very similar to the one found on board the Rogue Mistress.

Moving cautiously into the room you see that the room is illuminated by the same blue light from ceiling veins. Other than the device and the couch, the room is as empty as any other area encountered.



[Private to Cirok: 07:23, Today: Secret Roll: The Grey Lords, on behalf of Cirok, rolled 49 using 1d100.  Repair/Devise tn 48. - Even with Mikkl's notes it is going to take several hours for you to get this device unmounted.]
Viktor
 player, 403 posts
Tue 3 Nov 2015
at 15:37
Ghosts in the Machine
kind of bummed the door opened so easiely and no bad evil things waiting...walks into the room and straps his axe back on for now...keeps his knife easy to grab and carries his bag of bolts for now...walks around a little waiting for the group...
Rael Gol
 player, 241 posts
Tue 3 Nov 2015
at 16:11
Ghosts in the Machine
"See... it is all a matter of knowing to tweak the right nerve..." Rael adds as he motion with his hand at the now open door.

"Cirok, is this the device the Mistress needs?" he asks the sailor.
Cirok
 player, 20 posts
 The Younger
Tue 3 Nov 2015
at 22:20
Ghosts in the Machine
"Mmmm, yes," Cirok nodded, but his expression was glum.  "I believe that it is."  The sailor took a few steps to the right and glanced at the installation, then circled back to his left, clucking his tongue as he went.  Then with hands planted on his hips he blew out a long sigh.

"I'd say this is it," he repeated, "but removing it without damaging anything and making sure we can remount it in the 'Mistress is going to take a while.  Hours, literally." Cirok sounded anything but happy about that, as he unslung his bag of tools and laid them to rest on the floor.  He poked around inside for a moment before coming out with a heavy crescent wrench.

"Here's what I'd suggest.  Leave me one other person to assist and watch my back, and the rest of you can go off and try to save the ship.  Or kill the ship, I guess.  Maybe save the goblins, if they aren't actually dead already." He shook his head a little, clearly bewildered by the strangeness Angrboda had tried to explain.

"But we need some method to either contact one another from afar, or a hard agreement that you'll be back in less than, say," he peered at the device again, eyes narrowed in a calculating gaze, "three hours?  At the worst it will be good to have you check in, and at best I'll have this thing disconnected and ready for us to head back to the 'Mistress."

"Thoughts?"
Berta
 player, 139 posts
 from Ilmiora
Wed 4 Nov 2015
at 14:14
Ghosts in the Machine
Berta shrugs.  "I can stand guard here ... you'll need Rael to open doors, and Viktor's better in a fight than I am," she admits reluctantly.  "Or at least concerned more with taking out his opponent and less with his own skin !"  She smiles at the big Pan Tangian.  "And the boys will need Angrboda to keep them out of trouble, or rescue them when they're up to their necks in it !"

"Guess I'm going to learn something about ..." she frowns "... whatever this device is and how to remove on.  Never know when that might come in useful !"
Viktor
 player, 404 posts
Wed 4 Nov 2015
at 16:15
Ghosts in the Machine
Ok so Berta is staying with Cirok...let us go slay a ship and some evil goats...laughs and leaves his axe strapped on for now...
Rael Gol
 player, 242 posts
Wed 4 Nov 2015
at 17:56
Ghosts in the Machine
Rael smiles is strained "Yay... lets go slay some stuff..." he looks at Berta "Take care of yourself, your my anchor to sanity with this group..." he gave a nod to Cirok as well "I guess now that Viktor has manage not to bungle your name you become officially party member." he grins.

Than slapping the large Pan Tanging, a slap that while was Rael mightiest probably did not registered much on Viktor "Lets go doing what we are good at..." he mutters.
Angrboda
 player, 252 posts
Wed 4 Nov 2015
at 20:01
Ghosts in the Machine
Angrboda nods, "Well, now that's settled I suppose we should head out." she says, moving to the door to see if the Engineers are still sleeping on the bridge.
Berta
 player, 140 posts
 from Ilmiora
Thu 5 Nov 2015
at 13:36
Ghosts in the Machine
"I give it about 5 minutes till the screaming starts," Berta mutters an aside to Cirok.

"You take care with those two," she cautions Rael, all smiles.
Viktor
 player, 405 posts
Fri 6 Nov 2015
at 06:58
Ghosts in the Machine
did a fly brush against me...so in 3 hours we meet back here...or when everyone is dead, Angrboda kills the undead and then Rael burns the place down...you know we will be ready to leave....looks over at Rael when he slaps him and laughs...gets his crossbow out for now along with the bolts....time for muppet hunting
Berta
 player, 142 posts
 from Ilmiora
Fri 6 Nov 2015
at 14:12
Ghosts in the Machine
"Which way are you heading ?" Berta asks Angrboda.  "Just in case we have to come to the rescue."