Ghosts in the Machine   Posted by The Grey Lords.Group: archive 1
The Grey Lords
 GM, 361 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Wed 7 Oct 2015
at 00:23
Ghosts in the Machine
You allow yourselves to be lead towards the door at the base of the towers, each of the humanoids move to pair off with each of you. As they approach, each one mimics the hand gesture that the original humanoid did with Viktor. Reaching out, each one gently extends a finger to tap you on the hand. "We must hurry, the towers are safe, we can talk in there." After a few moments you realize that you did not truly hear it with your ears, rather your ears felt an "echo" of speech in your native language. Each one of the small figures motions towards the tower door.

As you approach you can see that the door is comprised of a material similar to that of the bone superstructure. The figure with the yellow stripe moves forward briskly towards the opening, not extending it's hand, merely moving forward with a purpose. At roughly 3' (1m) away the door slides open along a diagonal bisecting line. You see a second set of doors on the opposite side opening along an opposite diagonal bisecting line. In all, the two ivory colored doors are no thicker than any standard wooden frame. No hinges can be seen, though you can see that the door is set into the framework and follows a groove along the threshold.

A blast of cool air slides out the door as you get near. The inside of the room is made of a mixture of the bone and glossy material. The floors retain the glossy black, while much of the room fixtures are of the bone material. The room is split into two levels. The rear portion stands over 15' (4.5m) from the floor and is accessible by a bone stairway. There are two similar bone doorways to the left as you enter, and evidence of three more doorways on the raised area. The forward portion of the room is taken up with six cushion filled chairs each near a small semi-circular table with a multitude of switches, buttons, and lights. On the raised area is a slightly larger cushioned chair that is set near another semi-circular table with even more switches, buttons, and lights. At the base of the chair is a small matte black helmet, obviously the size of the humanoids that accompany you.

As the last person enters the room, the bone door slides shut. Almost instantly the noises of the outside cease, the only noise heard is of you moving about. The humanoids let you move about the room and take everything in. "We were stranded here when our ship hit a chaos storm. The whirlwind abandoned us here. The chaos made several crewmen go mad. The are holed in the bow of the ship with the remaining supplies. Guerrilla raids to kill us have left us to five. They have  taken all we have." Their tale rings a sense of sadness and desperation. The humanoids seem so pathetic and unable to do anything more. It is obvious that their will has been broken by having to fend off their own kinsman for so long.

[Private to Cirok: The chairs are similar to the chair that the Tenatir sits in when it is piloting the Rogue Mistress through each "jump".]
[Private to Cirok: It is obvious that they are "emitting" some sort of emotion response to get you to feel how "pathetic" they are.]
[Private to Berta: It is obvious that they are "emitting" some sort of emotion response to get you to feel how "pathetic" they are.]
[Private to Angrboda: It is obvious that they are "emitting" some sort of emotion response to get you to feel how "pathetic" they are. Also, choose me a door, during your wanderings you are able to slip off of the group.
07:00, Yesterday: The Grey Lords, on behalf of Angrboda, rolled 28 using 1d100.  Hide tn 60.
06:59, Yesterday: The Grey Lords, on behalf of Angrboda, rolled 43 using 1d100.  move quiet tn 60.
]

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:26, Fri 09 Oct 2015.

Viktor
 player, 370 posts
Wed 7 Oct 2015
at 03:40
Ghosts in the Machine
Tell us my friends, how can we defeat your mad crewmen and take their weapons...are we able to fix your ship or will you help us get the part we need for ours?  one of our own crewmen is dying right now from this place..do you have an extra boat to take to our ship? takes his axe and swings around a few times...getting the typical pissed off let's go chop up look Viktor gets in his eyes...when people or things start to die.

[Private to Viktor: As you are walking around, you see Angrboda slide out one of the doors on the top tier. The 3rd door from the left. As far as you can tell, no one else saw her slip out.]

This message was last edited by the player at 05:01, Thu 08 Oct 2015.

Rael Gol
 player, 220 posts
Wed 7 Oct 2015
at 20:33
Ghosts in the Machine
Rael make sure to steer clear from Viktor swings he turn to Cirok and Angrboda "Do we know where this thing we are looking for is?" he asks them.

Than he turn his attention to the gremlins "What kind of weapons the other crew members have? Are we talking weapon of steel or something more sinister?"
Viktor
 player, 371 posts
Thu 8 Oct 2015
at 05:05
Ghosts in the Machine
says in a quiet voice to Rael...Angrboda just slipped out a door up there...tell Berta to be prepared in case something happens..nods up where he saw Angrboda last...then looks back at his elf friend and holds his hand out to him to get some answers from him...
Berta
 player, 123 posts
 from Ilmiora
Thu 8 Oct 2015
at 14:42
Ghosts in the Machine
Berta had intended to follow Angrboda ... but she delayed too long, unable to simply slip away once the small creature took her large hand in its own.  The warrior woman finds the voice in her head most discomfiting, and it is all she can do not to snatch her hand back from its grasp, leaving her distracted and with little sympathy for their plight.

"Whether they are victims of the madness, or the prey of those who have succumbed, they were all crew upon this demon ship," Berta reminds Viktor bluntly, concerned that the big man will risk his own, or all of their lives upon the whim of a compassion that seems much unlike him.

She shrugs. "Yet if these madmen have what we need, then perhaps your Lord Donblas will see the justice in it, though I prefer to think of it as balancing the scales."

She looks around, not so much at the strange machinery, though that too is disturbing, but chafing at the Melnibonean's absence and expecting alarums to be sounded at any moment.
Viktor
 player, 372 posts
Fri 9 Oct 2015
at 05:17
Ghosts in the Machine
spins his axe around sets the blade down for now as he waits for the alien elf to answer some of the questions...Berta I think they need our help and in return we get what we want...I think Lord Donblas would like to see some mad alien elf heads go rolling along the ground...hope Angrboda is behaving herself, then again we should probably go kill something soon or give Rael a burning log and let him have fun...lets out a demonic sounding laugh...
Rael Gol
 player, 221 posts
Fri 9 Oct 2015
at 07:08
Ghosts in the Machine
Rael blink in surprise he was sure the hell maiden was just behind him she was a lot stealthier than he thought. "Fine..." he mumbles "I guess no one will be happy until Viktor will unleash his inner Pan Tangian on some evil mad gremlins... lets go."

He glance at Cirok and Berta "For the sake of us who do not wield a ridiculously large battle axe and are armoed with an inch of steel, shell we make some plan or Viktor you just plowe ahead and we cover your rear?"
The Grey Lords
 GM, 362 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Fri 9 Oct 2015
at 12:38
Ghosts in the Machine
The humanoids let the party poke around and look at the various things. They also seem oblivious as to where the fifth member went. Standing in a small huddle one of the chair/table combinations on the ground floor they continue answering what they can. "We are not sure what is still working. This place seems dead. Energy slowly dies. Last attack was with clubs. They are mad. Madness wanted to play with our insides. We don't know why you are here. We know that you can save us." They remain in close proximity to each other the entire time. Their overall mannerisms and actions just seem off. Almost puppet-like, you rarely see them show any sort of emotion, including blinking their eyes. While you can tell that they are concerned, it is more akin to a gut feeling than any indicator or body language.

"They are in the hold. Near the Bow. The way down is through the far door." The yellow striped one points to the eastern most door. "In the corridor. First door to the left. North door to bay. Water fills the area. You are taller. No problem for you. In show of mercy, you could just capture? Sick minds can be healed. No harm we wish of them. They are still our crew." In your curiosity of the room, and the disappearance of Angrboda, you realize that the beings no longer need contact to transmit. They have been able to communicate with little deviance to their "voice".


*Updated Threads so that I'm not using same voice color as Cirok*

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:27, Fri 09 Oct 2015.

Cirok
 player, 10 posts
 The Younger
Fri 9 Oct 2015
at 13:12
Ghosts in the Machine
Cirok was as surprised as any when the strange crewmen "spoke" back.  It was a strange method of communication but the sailor was intrigued and steeled himself against its strangeness.  The emotional transfer was the hardest part to endure and left a somewhat sour expression on his face.  He hoped the little crewmen were not offended by his reaction.

The bridge (for that was how Cirok interpreted the room) immediately captured his curiosity and he began examining the panels in an attempt to divine the likely intentions of each station.  Most of it was anyone's buses, but a few aspects appeared similar to the place the Tenatir sat when piloting the Rogue Mistress.  He did not see any sign of the device they sought, and was about to ask about it when Rael spoke up and then Angrboda was discovered missing.

"No, I do not know where the device is located.  Likely somewhere closer to the engine that drives the ship.  This appears to be the bridge or navigation station, where the ship would be guided from." Cirok's expression was cross though not directed at Rael, and his gaze slid to the various doors in the room as though to divine the Melnibonean's escape route.  "Where has she gone?" he asked under his breath, frustration evident.

"Did anyone see where Angrboda went?  Do we know she left, or if she was taken?" These questions were directed at his boarding party, himself not having much sense of their various personalities yet.  Was this something the sorceress did often?  Only her companions could tell him.  "We really should be staying together.  We have no idea what's on this ship, and no time for individual dalliances if we are to escape on the 'Mistress and save your other friend."

Once any exchange about Angrboda was concluded Cirok turned his attention to the device they were sent to retrieve.  "Let me ask a few questions of our hosts to see if they might know the whereabouts of our goal." So saying, he turned to the diminutive crewmen and asked after the navigation component, describing it in general terms and asking if any knew its location aboard the ship.
The Grey Lords
 GM, 363 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Fri 9 Oct 2015
at 16:43
Ghosts in the Machine
"We have not seen one like what you describe. There are many machines that are close. Each tower has a purpose. Feel free to look."

Cirok begins to test out each of the stations. Some of the controls ring familiar to that of the Mistress, at least in appearance. However with the discovery that the six workstations having no response to anything he does, there is little beyond speculation. Moving to the top station bring a bit more information. The top console's buttons light up or go dark when pressed. It appears that the top console is still in working condition, though all attempts at gaining a response other than lighting up the buttons proves useless.
[Private to Cirok: From what you can gather. The upper seat would be the helmsman seat. Each of the smaller workstations all appear uniform in appearance. If they could be activated somehow you might be able to gain more information. On the Mistress, the Tenatir's spot (the Navigator) is closer to the engines. This location would be more akin to the aftcastle and wheel.]
Viktor
 player, 373 posts
Fri 9 Oct 2015
at 19:51
Ghosts in the Machine
Cirok Angrboda slipped out a door up there...she does that often...are you finding what we need?points where he saw Angrboda last...
Rael Gol
 player, 222 posts
Fri 9 Oct 2015
at 20:25
Ghosts in the Machine
"You heard that Viktor? we need to capture the mad ones not kill them. Make sure you hit them with the flat of your axe."

Turning to one of the muppets "You, what can you tell me about your physiology works, I can concoct a knockout potion to coat our blades or spread around but I am not sure how close you are to humans to be affected."
Viktor
 player, 374 posts
Sat 10 Oct 2015
at 04:08
Ghosts in the Machine
Fine I won't chop up any evil muppets, but it isn't my fault if they accidentally fall into my blade and their head rolls off...now is it...frowns for a second and then lets out a loud crazy laugh...wonder if there is any rope or something we could use...tie them up like a string of fishies...takes a drink of wine and laughs again...and then starts looking around for a rope or something...




23:10, Today: Viktor rolled 89 using 1d100.  search

This message was last edited by the player at 04:11, Sat 10 Oct 2015.

Berta
 player, 124 posts
 from Ilmiora
Sat 10 Oct 2015
at 05:36
Ghosts in the Machine
Berta nods as Viktor confirms Angrboda's departure.  "I'd thought to accompany her ... but found myself entrapped," she smiles a half-smile.  "Worry not about her," the warrior-woman tells Cirok.  "She'll probably find the device before we do, though perhaps not without bloodshed."

Capturing the creatures sounds more palatable, though ... "You said 'madness wanted to play with our insides' ?" she asks their guides.  "Do you mean that madness drove them, or the madness tried to take you as well as them ?"

"I can fight man or demon, but if our minds are to be assailed ... then yes, I wish most fervently that Angrboda was with us, for I think she alone might counter such spells," Berta looks hopefully to Rael raising a brow, thinking that perhaps he might concoct a potion that might protect them.
Cirok
 player, 11 posts
 The Younger
Mon 12 Oct 2015
at 15:38
Ghosts in the Machine
"I do not think the device is in these panels here," Cirok replied to Viktor, after acknowledging the information he and Berta provided about Angrboda.  It didn't lessen his frustration but he realized there was little he could do about the missing Melnibonean now.  And finding the device had to be their priority.  He probed further with the crewman who'd answered his previous questions.

"You say the towers each have a purpose.  Do you know which tower is associated with navigation of the ship?  And which is associated with the engines that sail her?" 
Viktor
 player, 375 posts
Mon 12 Oct 2015
at 22:48
Ghosts in the Machine
Should we split up and try to take care of the mad crewman...wonder what Angrboda is doing?walks around looking for anything useful...
Cirok
 player, 12 posts
 The Younger
Tue 13 Oct 2015
at 00:19
Ghosts in the Machine
"No!" Cirok replied sharply to Viktor's question, before calming his reaction.  "We don't need to further dilute our strength.  We find the device first and get it to the 'Mistress.  Then we can find Angrboda and deal with the creatures on this ship to the best of our ability."

"If we don't recover the device, none of the rest matters."

The Grey Lords
 GM, 364 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Tue 13 Oct 2015
at 03:04
Ghosts in the Machine
The strange voice echos across your minds in response to all the questions. "Your speech is different. They are mad. Madness wants to infect us all. They shut off the machines and left us to all come mad. They control the power, with no power we are stranded. Madness came and took them one by one." The yellow striped humanoid looks around as if to get his bearings. "I think what you need is through the door over there." It points to the far eastern door.

The one with the green stripe on his clothes focuses on Rael Gol. "I do not know how similar we are. I can volunteer to test it for you." It holds out an emaciated hand. "With you to protect us, we can see how long it knocks our kind out."

The yellow striped one once again takes over the "conversation". "With your other member gone, we are afraid the madness may have taken them. Some turned fast while others, like ourselves, have been able to hold out. You are welcome to move about as you need. We will lock the outer door so that they are not able to enter from that direction."
Rael Gol
 player, 223 posts
Tue 13 Oct 2015
at 20:43
Ghosts in the Machine
Rael pull his bag of herbs and begins mixing and brew a make shift potion. He tries to measure the weight of the muppet and goes to create a mild contact sedative.

When he is done, he would pour some on the muppet outstretched arm.
Viktor
 player, 377 posts
Tue 13 Oct 2015
at 22:59
Ghosts in the Machine
Rael test your muppet brew and then we will go look for this device through those doors...is that ok with you Croak? looks at Cirok and starts laughing as he waits for Rael's experiment.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:20, Tue 13 Oct 2015.

Berta
 player, 125 posts
 from Ilmiora
Wed 14 Oct 2015
at 13:21
Ghosts in the Machine
Berta's lips narrow as Cirok harshly naysays Viktor's rash suggestion.  "Take care," she warns the sailor levelly.  "Our friend is not one to shy from a challenge."  She smiles to show her words do not imply criticism.

"I think this place itself must bring the madness.  The strong-willed or lucky can resist, but in time all must fall.  The sooner we can find the device, the better - and our friends have earned our help - if we can save them and perhaps their brethren, then we must try."  In this regard at least she agrees with the big Pan Tangian, her earlier misgivings somewhat alleviated by their guides' explanations, or perhaps the fear that she and her companions may soon be equally afflicted.

"Try not to go mad," she pats Viktor's arm.  "I do not welcome the thought of facing your axe."

"I still have the concoction you brewed back at the Queen's Palace," she reminds Rael, "if that is of any use ... though you may need to dilute it somewhat."
Viktor
 player, 378 posts
Thu 15 Oct 2015
at 04:36
Ghosts in the Machine
Don't worry about me going mad Berta...that happened a long time ago...mother insisted...laughs loudly and rudely...takes a drink out of his winesack and offers it to Cirok...We need to get going, we are taking too long...

This message was last edited by the player at 15:39, Thu 15 Oct 2015.

Cirok
 player, 13 posts
 The Younger
Thu 15 Oct 2015
at 15:45
Ghosts in the Machine
Cirok nodded as he listened to the response from the little crewmen, noting the eastern door through which they guessed the device might lay, and agreeing that locking the door to the deck behind them would be wise.  He did ask for a quick demonstration though - it wouldn't do for the crewmen to be the only ones who could unlock the door if they all needed to flee in a hurry.  "Let me watch how you do that," he instructed the odd little creature.  "I want to be able to lock and unlock it myself, if need be."

He flashed a wry look to Berta, and then frowned again as Viktor mispronounced his name once more.  He did not doubt it was on purpose, so he ignored it.  "Yes, through the eastern door once Rael has tested his potion.  I agree we must move along.  The nature of this place saps energy and we don't want to suffer from its effects any longer that we have to."

The sailor watched as Rael finished up, interested in the effects but also anxious to get moving.  The ominous fate of Khazim could await them all if they stayed too long.
Rael Gol
 player, 224 posts
Thu 15 Oct 2015
at 16:29
Ghosts in the Machine
Rael glance at Berta and nods, he was too absorb in his work to answer only to outstretch his hand waiting for the potion.
The Grey Lords
 GM, 365 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Thu 15 Oct 2015
at 23:52
Ghosts in the Machine
The humanoid with the green stripe allows Rael Gol to anoint it's hand with the potion. "Is it work by touch?" your own language echoes in your skull. After a few moments the green striped humanoid begins to waver. Staggering a bit, it falls to the ground with a light thud. Head rolling off to the side you see that the body has become completely limp.

The remaining humanoids stare at the limp form. Turning back to the group you can see that the expression has changed very little. A hint of interest with a majority of blank, colors it's face. "The sensor on the outside of the door can be made to not work. It will allow us to leave, but no one to enter. We simply cover the sensor. The mad ones do not think straight. They have not find it out yet."
[Private to Rael Gol: You get a warm feeling of accomplishment as you see your handiwork perform as you intended. You see the humanoid resting comfortably on the ground]

The humanoids stand between the six tables and the outer doorway, still huddled together, watching the crew as they chat among themselves. "We will stay and rest till you return. The couches are restful. Do not worry about the asleep on. We will watch." Seeing the test work, the humanoids motion towards the eastern door. "May you find your friend. Hope she is not already mad."

[Private to Viktor: You see the potion work as intended. You are pumped to go and capture some of those insane Muppets! Pay them back for everything they did to the crew!]




18:31, Today: Secret Roll: The Grey Lords, on behalf of Rael Gol, rolled 15 using 1d100.  Physik tn 49. - Judge humanoid
18:31, Today: Secret Roll: The Grey Lords, on behalf of Rael Gol, rolled 44 using 1d100.  Potions tn 80.

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:12, Sat 17 Oct 2015.