Ghosts in the Machine - Part II.   Posted by The Grey Lords.Group: archive 1
Angrboda
 player, 295 posts
Mon 18 Jan 2016
at 23:00
Ghosts in the Machine - Part II
"Oh for the love of Chaos, pipe down already.  How are we supposed to get anything done with you wailing like that?" Angrboda yells at the ship, "Although I suppose you are in a lot of pain." she says thoughtfully as she approaches the door to see if she can open it.
Berta
 player, 176 posts
 from Ilmiora
Tue 19 Jan 2016
at 14:27
Ghosts in the Machine - Part II
"By the chill touch of White-Handed Mirath, open it swiftly, lest we all perish !" Berta entreats Angroboda loudly, striving to be heard above the cacophony, her teeth chattering all the while.  "Were it not for this cursed heart placed within me I swear the cold would have finished me off long before now !"
Esyld
 player, 22 posts
Tue 19 Jan 2016
at 20:42
Ghosts in the Machine - Part II
After being just narrowly missed by the toppling boxes, she gave Cirok earnest thanks for his speedy intervention.

"Consider it even for help against the goat-head," she had told him in a hushed, sincere tone.

The explosion that Viktor had triggered caused her to jump.  As much as was possible while half-submerged, anyrate.   "Sweet Ilah!" she exclaimed. "We meet magical creatures -- supposedly evolved beings -- and they must lay crude traps like these?"   

It started her thinking. She hoped this wasn't the handiwork of the moppetts.  They could be in for a far less friendly reception than they hoped.  Though, perhaps, it was crude threats and attacks the little creatures had to defend themselves from...

Once they neared the ship, she found the unearthly keening unnerving. Chilled and shivering like Berta, she again tried to interpret what Angrboda had said.

And made the triangle of Law, reflexively, in response to the unholy idea that this ship might actually be some living thing.
Viktor
 player, 451 posts
Wed 20 Jan 2016
at 04:39
Ghosts in the Machine - Part II
Either half drunk or just wiped out from almost having his head explode...ok maybe more then half drunk...starts laughing and then quietly starts humming a song from his home land....as he walks a little ways back from the group...reaches in his pocket and finds his reserve winesack and laughs some more...
Cirok
 player, 49 posts
 The Younger
Thu 21 Jan 2016
at 02:50
Ghosts in the Machine - Part II
"Think nothing of it," he replies in an equally quiet tone, his mouth curled in a lopsided smile. "Just glad I could help."

Like the others Cirok found the shrill keening grated on his nerves, but at least the chill waters did not seem to be the same problem for him as the others.  He wasn't exactly comfortable, but his teeth barely chattered and he still hand full feeling in his fingertips.  But that small compensation did nothing to quell his desire to be on with things so they could escape this dying realm.

"Go to it, Angrboda," he encouraged the Melnibonean, though his voice could barely be heard over the ambient complaints of the ship.  "Get us to the heart, or brain, or whatever it is we need to destroy."

Viktor
 player, 452 posts
Thu 21 Jan 2016
at 16:11
Ghosts in the Machine - Part II
After barely hearing something about destroying the brain of the ship...feels for his pocket to see if the disk is there...I want to take this magical law disk and stick it up da arse of this ship's brain...or is it stick it up the brain of this ship's arse...says loud and crudely and laughs some more....Donblas there is no law here, take us away from this dreaded place!yells in a loud voice....
Rael Gol
 player, 271 posts
Thu 21 Jan 2016
at 18:38
Ghosts in the Machine - Part II
Whatever joy Rael felt for Angrboda discomfort quickly evaporated in the cold dark water. The traps in the water did not aid his mood either. By the time they reach the door he is silent and shivering from the cold, his lips and cheeks are bluish in coloration.

"Let me see the door..." he stutter hand shaking hard as he examine the door trying to decipher a way to open it.
The Grey Lords
 GM, 426 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Fri 22 Jan 2016
at 23:22
Ghosts in the Machine - Part II
The group approaches the door with a hint of apprehension. The door symbolizes the potential to ending this nightmare however nothing so far has been easy. This proves to be just as uneasy. Angrboda approaches the valve-like portal looking for some sort of latching mechanism. At the first glance it is evident that someone has tampered with the door itself. At the location where the eye sensor was on the doors above deck all you can see is an empty socket. It looks almost as if someone had gouged out the eye sensor on purpose with extremely crude tools.

The door itself resembles the same door the opened into the cargo hold, fleshy and elastic in the same fashion as a stretched muscle. The walls here have changed back into the black chitin like material found as part of the main hold of the ship. At almost a predictable interval the howl of the dying ship echos through your skull. Thanks to the timely howl you are able to tell one thing, this door is holding back much of the dying screech. Just beyond the portal is the source of the giant ships howl, the very vocal center of the ship.

Someone has gone to great lengths to keeping people out.

[Private to Angrboda: It is getting nearly intolerable, Now some stupid popping of a weasel song is playing over and over in your head. It is not a song you are familiar with, but those lyrics: "All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel..." Between the howling of the ship and these oddities...]
Berta
 player, 177 posts
 from Ilmiora
Sat 23 Jan 2016
at 06:27
Ghosts in the Machine - Part II
Berta clenches her teeth, as much to still the curses that sit on her tongue as to stop them chattering.

"Get your axe," she tells Viktor, voice loud so she can be heard over the dying screams of the ship.  "See if you can force it between door and frame, and perhaps between us we can get this thrice-damned thing open !  At least the exercise might warm us ..."
Rael Gol
 player, 272 posts
Sat 23 Jan 2016
at 08:20
Ghosts in the Machine - Part II
Shivering violently Rael motion Viktor to stop "Oooorrrr.... we ca..ca... can ... kno ... knock on the doooor,,," if these were the civilized sane muppets as Angrboda claims maybe they would answer better to civil manners.
Angrboda
 player, 297 posts
Sat 23 Jan 2016
at 09:15
Ghosts in the Machine - Part II
Angrboda shakes her head and yells, "Stop with the music already!  Just shut up!" as she knocks on the door and then calls into the hole in the door, [Language unknown:  "Teate, taarin i antameoul?  Of siwit areun p revor ri ncewe pameev onta ho osoulo?"]

OOC:  Second statement is in the language that she learned from the computer thingy.

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:33, Sat 23 Jan 2016.

Esyld
 player, 24 posts
Sun 24 Jan 2016
at 19:38
Ghosts in the Machine - Part II
"What about that disk?  Is it possible it may be some sort of key?" she inquired, through chattering teeth, just in case it hadn't been thought of yet. Rael was probably right, though; better to try courtesy, first.

Mildly intoxicated or no, she concurred with Viktor's assessment that Law was largely absent from this insane place.  She much wanted to conclude this business, and return to the relative security of the Mistress.

Listening to the odd tongue in which Angrboda spoke, she got a better, closer, look at her, beneath true light.  And decided that she wasn't human.

Vadhagh?  Could it be?  She looked something like she had heard them described.  But, the attitude, the mannerism...swearing by Chaos...that wasn't like any Vadhagh she'd ever heard of.
Cirok
 player, 50 posts
 The Younger
Sun 24 Jan 2016
at 20:09
Ghosts in the Machine - Part II
Cirok just fidgeted in the water, wincing and clamping his hands over his ears every time the ship howled.  For all the fantastic, world spanning capability of the 'Mistress and this dying ship, there were times when the sailor wished for a simple wooden vessel, canvas stretched against the winds, and the salty spray of waves cascading over the bow.  You wouldn't hear these wailing cries from a galleon of the Purple Isles.

Angrboda's words meant nothing to him, but he waited expectantly in the hopes she could coax the door to open.
Viktor
 player, 453 posts
Mon 25 Jan 2016
at 12:30
Ghosts in the Machine - Part II
Knocky knocky muppets let us in...laughs a little and waits to see if he needs to get the disk out or his mighty axe...slightly drunk to where he is finding this a little amusing and doesnt care how cold he is...
Berta
 player, 178 posts
 from Ilmiora
Mon 25 Jan 2016
at 13:09
Ghosts in the Machine - Part II
"Spawn of the Whisperer !" Berta's curse as she backs away to give Viktor's room is tinged with a note of fear, but she gathers herself, holding up her hand to stop the Pan Tangian from advancing further.   "Something in the water," she explains.  "Feels like one of those damned and thrice cursed tripwires ..."

Her trepidation gives way to thoughfulness.  "That last one you fell foul of ... would've taken your head off if you hadn't falle ... dived beneath the waters."

The warrior-woman takes a deep breath, knowing she's about to suggest something that is both dangerous and foolish.

"We might be able to manoever ... these boxes closer to the door," she gestures towards but does not touch the stack of crates at her back, "then trigger the trap from a distance with a length of rope."

"It could suffice to blow the door, or at least loosen it sufficiently that we might get it open," she shrugs.
Viktor
 player, 454 posts
Tue 26 Jan 2016
at 15:25
Ghosts in the Machine - Part II
Ok so we push these crates and boxes towards the door and try not to set them off....points to where the door is and slowly steps back behind them...
Angrboda
 player, 299 posts
Tue 26 Jan 2016
at 20:14
Ghosts in the Machine - Part II
"Or we could just wait to see if someone answers the door." Angrboda says, knocking again, [Language unknown:  "Wasandthu, we houwasand inli re habe cktachai el hool lobeceou ta buttioint ng iou urpo ur.  U sangho ni e ni ca ioushekor po usck lobe elat pe ro terom haouss."]
The Grey Lords
 GM, 427 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Tue 26 Jan 2016
at 23:49
Ghosts in the Machine - Part II
Viktor and Berta begin shuffling the tripwire boxes around as Angrboda waves them both off. Speaking once again in the strange tonal language Angrboda attempts to communicate with those on the other side.

And it appears to work as the valve door spreads apart with a wet slurping slide. The darkness on the other side of the door holds sway except for the large globe in the distance of the room. Inside the room is a complicated network of threads, piping, and other vein like constructs attached to the huge swirling multicolored sphere. The moaning of the ship hits you like a blast as the door making your ears and insides ache in extreme discomfort.

The moaning of the ship dies down a bit as you are able to take in the room. Tiny dancing bolts of lighting, like little spiders, move up and down the various cable like constructs that line the room. You can simply sense the power in this room, or more so you do not feel the draining effect of this world in it's presence. In the dancing lights of the room you swear you see movement darting between crates and other items that have been obviously set up in a crude attempt at barricades and obstacles about the room.

That is when an apple sized metallic object arcs through the air from behind the obstacles and lands at the entrance to the door. There is a tiny white light flashing from one side of the ball. At first glance it appears to be made of a similar silvery metal as the disk held by Viktor.
Viktor
 player, 455 posts
Wed 27 Jan 2016
at 13:04
Ghosts in the Machine - Part II
Seems to be the same material as the law disk...grabs the disk and holds it towards the floating ball...
Berta
 player, 180 posts
 from Ilmiora
Wed 27 Jan 2016
at 14:26
Ghosts in the Machine - Part II
Berta's surprise as the door actually opens at Angrboda's words is short-lived as the silvery disk flies towards them.  Fighting the urge to duck under the water, but ready to do so should anyone else choose that path, the warrior-woman looks around at her companions. "We can but hope that is meant for the ghost creatures and won't prove harmful to flesh and blood," the words spill from her lips.
Angrboda
 player, 300 posts
Thu 28 Jan 2016
at 00:01
Ghosts in the Machine - Part II
Angrboda moves over to inspect the device?  globe?  that Viktor picked up, "Um, Viktor, that might being a bad thing to pick up.  I do not know much about artifacts of Law though so it might be alright." she says gesturing to the other piece of silver he is holding.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:38, Thu 28 Jan 2016.

Rael Gol
 player, 275 posts
Thu 28 Jan 2016
at 04:28
Ghosts in the Machine - Part II
Rael is startled when the device is thrown, he catch the general size and shape of the thing and the first thing he thinks about how this is an elemental glob like the one they unleashed what now seems ages ago.

While the others turn to inspect the thing, he turn to the other direction with a drawn knife and wobbly knees, trying to find whomever toss the thing.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:21, Fri 29 Jan 2016.

Viktor
 player, 457 posts
Thu 28 Jan 2016
at 16:26
Ghosts in the Machine - Part II
I am sure you are right Boda but it is so shiny...After grabbing the new shiny globe and having the law disk in his other hand...decides to clank them together to see if they spark or if anything happens...
Esyld
 player, 26 posts
Thu 28 Jan 2016
at 19:12
Ghosts in the Machine - Part II
Artifacts of Law?  She'd heard rumor of fantastic, mechanical animals, made by scientific arts.  Lawful arts - that crafted things of wonder and beauty. Not the like of what surrounded her now, and bellowed like some beast of the abyss!

She looked on apprehensively, very apprehensively, as Viktor smacked sphere and disk together...

"Is that - " *Clank!* "-maybe not such a good idea?" moving back a bit, as she asked.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:14, Thu 28 Jan 2016.

Angrboda
 player, 302 posts
Thu 28 Jan 2016
at 22:49
Ghosts in the Machine - Part II
Angrboda sighs, knowing that taking them from the massive man in front of her is going to be problematic at best.  She turns and heads toward the area behind Viktor, hoping if there is some sort of reaction that the rocks in his head will block at least part of it for her.