The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea.   Posted by The Grey Lords.Group: 0
The Grey Lords
 GM, 830 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Mon 11 Mar 2019
at 01:45
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Angrboda's last words cause Andrew to glance at Justin, then a side glance at Not-Khazim. A somewhat justified look of questioning panic crosses his face as his gaze settles on the oh-so-happy face of your once companion.

A low growl rolls off of Not-Khazims chest. "I will not be bound again!" as the demon infused wastelander focuses on the not-so human Angrboda. Not-Khazim takes a step towards Angrboda, and the item she holds. "That sorceress will not bind me like the last. No objects, no tricks, no prisons!"

Andrew grabs his wooden staff and Justin's hand drops to his sword. Hopping a few steps forward Andrew moves a bit closer to Angrboda. "Whoa whoa big boy. Don't know if we want your fiery blood burning that what she has anyway." Andrew glances at those assembled in some sort of support.
Angrboda
 player, 582 posts
Mon 11 Mar 2019
at 02:35
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Angrboda snatches her dagger and prepares to defend herself, "I don't like this damn setup anymore than you do.  You want to talk to the damn oracle you gotta put blood into it.  If you don't want to talk to her then you don't.  I am apparently the only person here capable of doing the ritual so you're stuck with me." she says with perhaps a bit of remorse, she isn't looking forward to summoning a powerful demon kneedeep in disgusting Pyaray water, If you don't like the situation go walk off into the water, I'm sure Pyaray will get to you soon enough."
Berta
 player, 567 posts
 of Ilmiora
Wed 13 Mar 2019
at 14:14
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Whether Berta would have attempted no jest at Angrboda's approach and admonishment will remain unknown as Not-Khazim's ire becomes manifest.

"You need blood, take mine," the warrior-woman weighs in, though unlike the others she doesn't draw her blade at his approach, either reckoning the effort futile, or perhaps confident that their once friend can still be persuaded to reason for the moment.

"Rael is pale enough already and can ill afford to be blooded, while what flows through Viktor's veins is more spirits than blood.  So ..." Berta shrugs, baring her forearm and offering it to the Melnibonean's blade.

"Here ... or in there ?" she follows Angrboda's gaze to the foul waters, liking them no better than does the sorceress.

"Just be sure you leave me some ... I'd rather not be left unable to even bandy words with this demon we seek.  The last of its kind that we encountered was rude and impudent and richly deserving of a drubbing !"
Angrboda
 player, 583 posts
Wed 13 Mar 2019
at 18:24
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Angrboda sighs, "No, that isn't how it works." she explains, trying to remember that her expertise in this subject far outweighs any of her companions, "If you," she says pointing at Berta, "Want to interact with the oracle then I need a bit of your blood.  If he" she points at the Not-Khazim, "wants to interact with the oracle also then I also need a bit of his blood.  I need blood from everyone that thinks they might want to talk with, or interact with, the oracle.  If someone doesn't feel that they want to interact then i don't need their blood."
Berta
 player, 568 posts
 of Ilmiora
Sat 16 Mar 2019
at 05:33
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
The warrior-woman shrugs, understanding more of the ritual, but not deterred by the clarification.

"Count me in," she tells Angrboda.  "It'll be too late to join in after should I change my mind."

"What do we want to ask this Oracle about, then ?" she asks of everyone.   Best sort that out up front so she knows what questions to pose.  "In order of importance," should this be the sort of demon that delights in doing only what little it must.
The Grey Lords
 GM, 831 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Sat 16 Mar 2019
at 15:39
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Andrew looks at Angrboda in relief "See that Knife, no need for your blood. You know why your here right? Cause you escaped, No need for you to bother." a weak smile crosses his face. "We just need to know how to get out of here and anyone can ask that, Right?" He looks at all those stranded on the plateau. "Heck, even I can ask that." Glancing at Justin "Other than that we know what we need to know about the basic situation, Right!" He stresses the last word as he narrows his vision on Justin.

"Oh yes, yes right, Just how to get out of here." Justin makes a nice show of agreeing with Andrew.

The constant rage behind Not-Khazim's eyes dull a bit at the reassurances as he snarls and walks off, apparently satisfied that he does not need to take part of the ceremony.
Viktor
 player, 797 posts
Thu 21 Mar 2019
at 23:29
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Puts out his arm ready to give blood until Berta makes a comment about his blood. Nods and laughs as he watches the ladies call this oracle.
Berta
 player, 569 posts
 of Ilmiora
Fri 22 Mar 2019
at 04:55
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
"How to get out of here," Berta nods, repeating the words of Andrew and Justin not so much for clarification as in relief that Not-Khazim has been mollified, if only temporarily.

"I wouldn't mind knowing where we might find the controller," the warrior-woman adds, but much more quietly, her voice low so that the Knife in her friend's form does not hear her, "but first things first."

She looks to Angrboda, indicating her readiness, following the Melnibonean's directions, grinning sideways at Viktor.
The Grey Lords
 GM, 832 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Sun 24 Mar 2019
at 12:11
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Andrew looks over the assembled people and then towards the corrupted party member Not-Khazim. "Hey big fella, lets go check around the plateau and make sure nothing else is going to surprise us." Andrew grabs a pack of things and his walking stick. Pointing with his walking stick to one of the further away pieces of ruin near the edge of the mountaintop he begins to head in that direction.
Angrboda
 player, 585 posts
Mon 25 Mar 2019
at 16:00
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
"I would prefer it if Berta and Viktor both contributed, Magic works differently here, and if the demon becomes hostile I would prefer knowing for a fact that you two can interact with it." she says with a smile, "So, everyone who wants too, come over here." she indicates where they should be standing.
Berta
 player, 570 posts
 of Ilmiora
Wed 27 Mar 2019
at 13:56
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
So interact means more than just talking, if Berta takes Angrboda's meaning correctly.  Viktor might be the last person she'd want conversing with this Oracle ... but she'd be grateful to have the big Pan Tangian at her side if it came to an argument where sharp metal edges held sway.

"You get to be blooded after all," the warrior-woman smiles at her companion, beckoning him follow her as she follows Angrboda's directions, sparing a casual glance at Andrew's attempt to lead Not-Khazim away.
Viktor
 player, 799 posts
Wed 27 Mar 2019
at 17:26
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Nods and smiles at Berta. Gets his mighty axe out, just in case this demon wants to be left alone. Puts out his hand to have blood drawn. Take my blood but be gentle.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:55, Fri 29 Mar.

Angrboda
 player, 586 posts
Thu 28 Mar 2019
at 17:16
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
"Oh, because of your adherence to Law, I am going to have to take your whole hand Viktor." Angrboda says with a sardonic smile as she moves slowly to collect the blood needed for the ritual.  When she gets to the large warrior she giggles a bit, "Ready big guy?"

This message was last edited by the player at 18:48, Sat 30 Mar.

Viktor
 player, 800 posts
Fri 29 Mar 2019
at 19:58
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Believers Angrboda is kidding and keeps his held out. I have something bigger then my hand. Plus it might be hard to swing with one hand. Chuckles and looks away as she gets ready to draw blood.
Berta
 player, 571 posts
 of Ilmiora
Sat 30 Mar 2019
at 05:49
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Berta is not entirely convinced that Angrboda's threat is but playful ... even the almost girlish laugh that escapes the Melnibonean seems to her ears to have more the ring of madness than of humour.

But she trusts Viktor - if not to always do what she always would like, then at least to do exactly as she expects - and the Pan Tangian's banter in return suffices to allay her fears.

The warrior-woman leaves her blade in its sheathe, thinking her metal gloves less threatening but almost as effective should it come to it, offering her forearm to the knife of the sorceress when it is her turn to be bled.
Angrboda
 player, 587 posts
Sat 30 Mar 2019
at 18:52
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
"Yesd, I am well aware of the size of your mouth." Angrboda jokes back, "But I am thinking that trying to chew a demon to death might not be the best way." taking her dagger she deftly slices the mans arm, small enough that it shouldn't effect his combat abilities, and gathers the blood she needs.  "There, done you big baby." she chides, noting his head turning away.
The Grey Lords
 GM, 833 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Sun 31 Mar 2019
at 13:19
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Not-Khazim nods at Andrew's assessment for caution. He tightens his grip on his spear and heads off after the strangely dressed sorcerer and guide. "I might as well help with the lookout. Magic, blood magic, has never really sat well in my stomach." Rael Gol gathers his few belongings and moves after the watch party. "Sure, why not, an extra set of impartial eyes can always help." Andrew makes a definite show for the benefit of Not-Khazim. After a few dozen paces Andrew looks back at the bloodletting practice and nods.

Justin sits back and waits until Not-Khazim is definitely out of range. He begins to roll back the sleeve on his off hand and gets ready. "Whenever you are ready." as he gets in line behind those forming.


After collecting the blood from each of those assembled Angrboda moves into the water and positions herself on the edge of the inner circle of stones. The flowing beautifully alien language of her Melnibonean ancestors is soft. Those standing on the edge of the pool can barely hear the incantation, yet it seems to drown out the whispers, the grinding of the ceiling sky, and all other background noise. Ripples begin to form in the water radiating out from the central pillars to the edge. As if each ripple were to grab a single word and carry it outward, Angrboda's voice gets stronger and stronger completely drowning out the outside world as even the wind subjugates to her spell.
You stand, not realizing how much time has passed, only that more than once you have found your breath caught in your throat as if time had stopped for a few seconds. Angrboda tosses the collected blood into the central circle.

For a brief moment everything holds still, The ripples, the wind, her voice. And then the world comes crashing back in around you. As if to reverse what has happened you feel the wind and air rush back towards the central stone circle. The tiny ripples in the pond freeze, then roll back to where the Melnibonean is standing. While the reverse is nothing other than a slight breeze, the tugging on your soul  is as if a hurricane has blasted through.

The world becomes calm again. Once again things come into focus. Standing on the central pillar a form begins to appear. Slowly, it takes the form of a woman, naked, beautiful, but without eyes. Her hair drifts about her as if caught in the lazy currents of a river or pond. Once again the pool begins to ripple as small tremors can be felt coming from below.
Viktor
 player, 801 posts
Thu 4 Apr 2019
at 20:22
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Watches as the naked woman appears before them. Always a gentleman with the ladies. Takes off his armor and pulls his under clothing off to wrap her in. Makes his way towards her and offers his hand to help her up.
Angrboda
 player, 588 posts
Thu 4 Apr 2019
at 22:47
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
"Viktor!" Angrboda whispers but it comes out more like a hiss, "This is a demon, if she wanted clothing I am sure she would have it."
Berta
 player, 572 posts
 of Ilmiora
Fri 5 Apr 2019
at 05:34
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
The knife edge stings, but it is but a moment of pain, already forgotten as the ceremony begins and Angrboda gives voice to Words of Power, their effect most palpable as the pond itself seems to be stirred by what it hears ...

Berta staggers, as all that power returns to the source, pulling her in its wake for all it seems not to be rooted in the physical world.

And then her attention is pulled to the central column where the woman appears, assumedly, hopefully, the Oracle that they seek.

No, not a woman.  Angrboda's reprimand to Viktor is a stern reminder that this is a demon before them.  A demon who chose that form quite deliberately.

A demon that Viktor is undressing for.

With mixed resignation and alarm, the warrior-woman raises her hand to grasp him by the shoulder, intending to squeeze hard.

"Don't," she warns the Pan Tangian with quiet intensity.
The Grey Lords
 GM, 834 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Sun 7 Apr 2019
at 00:41
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Viktor begins to remove his armor as the tremors continue to ripple across the pool. The sightless eyes of the Oracle "looks" around at the four individuals assembled in the area of the pool. Viktor continues to vigorously shed his armor as the rumbles below begin to mimic that of the rumbles from the ceiling sky.

The Oracle grins as the tiny ripples begin to form into tiny waves. There is a sudden "thud" from beneath the ground under the pillar on which the Oracle stands. The water echos this with a larger ripple which begins to threaten to take Angrboda off her feet. Justin, standing at the edge of the pool slides into the water and takes a few steps towards the elfin sorceress.

After a Justin makes a it few more steps, a second louder thud sends a larger shockwave out from the central pillar.

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:39, Tue 09 Apr.

Angrboda
 player, 589 posts
Sun 7 Apr 2019
at 19:37
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Alarmed at the changing water (and a bit mad at herself that she didn't foresee such a thing happening) Angrboda begins to back slowly and carefully out of the water, cursing the situation as she does.
Viktor
 player, 802 posts
Tue 9 Apr 2019
at 00:42
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Staring at the beautiful innocent nude woman. Bloodlust starts to course through him. Completely not hearing or unwillingly ignoring the voice of Boda or Berta. Normally he would gladly take his life for their happiness. Now just wants the womanly siren. Keeps making his way towards her.
The Grey Lords
 GM, 835 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Tue 9 Apr 2019
at 13:59
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Viktor muscles his way past were Justin is attempting to remain his own balance against the forming waves. Justin reaches out his arm in an attempt to stop the Pan Tangian only to keep it extended in an effort to assist the on coming Sorceress.
Not seeing, or not caring, Viktor creates his own counter wake as he trudges past Angrboda as she rides the waves out of the once stagnant pool.

A third, and final thud, causes the pedestal and surrounding ground to erupt outward showering the area in a cascade of debris and water. As if the earth itself were violently giving birth, a being emerges from epicenter of the explosion. The oracle, unaffected by the explosion, slowly settles on to the emerging creature. Water cascades down a huge emerging form. It is an enormous skeletal figure with four arms and only a serpentine spine below it's waist. It's entire body is covered with thick, green slime, that is similar to the muck that coated the surface of the pool.

In a terrible and loud voice that seems to cause even the whispers to flee the area "Leave this place or die!" rasps the new demon.

As the rain of water and rock ceases, those on the shore can see the comatose form of Viktor floating in the slowly draining water is it begins to fill the void that once held the would be protector of the oracle.

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:24, Wed 10 Apr.

Angrboda
 player, 590 posts
Tue 9 Apr 2019
at 14:55
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
"Fabulous, we get in a fight and Viktor decides to take a nap." Angrboda mumbles upon picking herself up and taking in the new situation, "Yeah, that's what we are trying to do." she yells at the unexpected demon, "but we need her help to do it, so get out of the way." she points to the oracle to add to her point.
Berta
 player, 574 posts
 of Ilmiora
Wed 10 Apr 2019
at 13:58
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
"Does some madness possess him ?" Berta is still uncertain as to whether the big Pan Tangian has some ruse within his rum-addled skull or if the Oracle is somehow having an effect on him ... that is admittedly not a far throw from his usual wants and lusts.

But with the shaking of the earth and water whence the warrior-woman barely keeps her feet, the subsequent appearance of the second demon, and Viktor's collapse, that question dies on her lips.

"If it wants a fight, then it has found one," Berta snarls, with more bravado than she truly feels.  Drawing her heavy blade, she levels it at the demon.

"Though the death it seeks will be its own !"  Challenge met, she holds her ground, waiting either on Angrboda's lead or the creature's advance.
The Grey Lords
 GM, 836 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Sat 13 Apr 2019
at 01:58
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
The impassive face of the new demon's skeletal form simply drones out. "Death it is then!." As is slides towards the immobile form of Viktor that lazily floats along the ripples and eddies caused by the demon's movements.

The Oracle sits calmly, also showing no expression, on the back of the new demon. The Oracle does not guide or direct the beast, she merely sits watching almost uninterested in the outcome of the soon to be fight.

Justin quickly digs into one of his small side pouches and produces a small yellowish vial. He pauses, sighs, and quickly downs the small drought of liquid. He tenses for a second as if drinking the contents of the vial is causing some sort of discomfort. He emits a slight gasp and slides the empty vial back into the pouch. After a few deep breaths he turns and mimics Berta's demeanor. Pulling his own brass inlaid rapier he moves forward towards the comatose body of the Pan Tanigian Mariner.
Berta
 player, 575 posts
 of Ilmiora
Sun 14 Apr 2019
at 06:40
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
"By the withered member of Chardros !" Berta swears as she realises the demon seeks easy prey in the form of the ensorcelled Pan Tangian.

The warrior woman does not hesitate, surging forwards, wading through the foul waters towards the demon, fist clenched and sword held ready to strike.

"Your death, should you dare dismiss me so easily !" she yells, trying to get the creature's attention, leading with her blade as soon as she's within reach, then lunging forward to batter the demon with her metal clad fist.
Viktor
 player, 804 posts
Mon 15 Apr 2019
at 18:44
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Before realizing what is happening, the world goes black. Starts to dream of nightmares of the past.
Angrboda
 player, 591 posts
Mon 15 Apr 2019
at 18:51
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Agrboda, trepidatious as always when physical violence is happening, draws her dagger and moves to protect her fallen companion, "Get up you drunken idiot, it's your time to shine." she says as she reaches his side and kicks some water on his face to try and wake him, standing ready should the demon attack the man.
The Grey Lords
 GM, 837 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Wed 17 Apr 2019
at 00:50
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Justin is only a half step ahead of the Ilmorian Amazon. Glancing to the side at her as he nods and gives a reassuring wink. The morose and gloomy demeanor seems to have vanished away by a strange sort of vigor. Justin darts to the side in an attempt to divide the creatures attention between Berta and himself. It is obvious that the creature is as strong as it is slow. Each of the arms flex a few times as if not sure which one to go after now that new toys are within it's range.

Justin's Rapier darts out only to be turned aside and ignored by the beast as it begins to track Berta in her own forward charge. As in the case with Justin, her attack is considerably quicker than the demon can track and she is able to easily land a blow. And just as in Justin's case, her longsword clangs harmlessly off the thick bony hide of the serpentine beast. A hissing roar of effort escapes the skeletal head as it shifts it's bulk towards Berta. This side track allows Justin to once again dart in with his rapier with once again little effect on the beast.

The bored face of the Oracle stares down on the fighting below as she easily hangs on the back of the foul guardian demon.

Berta takes the opportunity to once again move and and bash the beast with an offhand strike from the brass gauntlets of Queen Media. There is a slight clang of metal on something hard as the razors edge of the gauntlets do little to penetrate the hide. The beast's lumbering arms swing wide causing water and rubble to eject into the air as the arms fail to hit Berta as she moves out of the way. Taking a moment to strike what would be a exposed side Berta slides in and hits again with a similar effect as the first strike. The beast twists and attempts to grab Berta with the remaining hands only to find Berta is considerably faster and easily splashes out of range.

Angerboda makes it to the Pan Tangian Barbarians side with possibly only the notice of the Oracle herself. He continues to float lazily on the splashing currents.
Viktor
 player, 805 posts
Thu 18 Apr 2019
at 20:00
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Feeling the presence of Angrboda trying to help him causes his demon heart to go crazy with power and energy.  Starts to twitch as hatred fills his heart and lack of soul. Yells out his loudest battle cry and emerges from the water. Grabs his axe and takes his mightiest swing over Angrbodas head making sure to miss her towards the demons neck. Throwing himself towards the demon as if he was possessed himself.
Berta
 player, 576 posts
 of Ilmiora
Fri 19 Apr 2019
at 04:57
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Berta's frustration as the creature barely even notices her blows is quickly replaced by concern for her own skin as she ducks and weaves to avoid its grasping hands ... though as Viktor's bellows herald him rising from the waters, the warrior woman grins broadly.

"I think, perhaps, you will not be so pleased now to have come looking for death," she tells it, unable to resist adding, "I did tell you so !"

Inspired by the Pan Tangian's enthusiasm for the battle, Berta renews her attack with blade and fist, hoping to do more than simply provide a distraction while Viktor carves the creature up.
The Grey Lords
 GM, 839 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Wed 24 Apr 2019
at 13:59
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
The demonic beast is suddenly reminded of a new pray as Viktor bursts forth from the water screaming his own battlecry. As if anticipating conflict his huge double handed axe springs to his hands as he attempts to slice into the seemingly impervious demon.

Using this distraction Berta launches forward with her longsword in hopes of finding purchase, only to have it once again find only sparks as it hit the hardened skin and glance off.

Viktor takes a step around Angrboda in order to get into range of the beast and hefts a mighty swing. In the twilight the etched triangle of Law glows slightly leaving a tiny luminescent trail as the blade arcs into the the flesh of the beast. Parting the bony exterior like mere human flesh Viktors blade slices cleanly into the beast rewarding those around with a surprised howl.

Justin moves in hoping to capitalize on the distraction caused by the crazed Pan Tangian only to have similar results as Berta as his own rapier only causes sparks. Dancing backwards Justin's frustration becomes evident. "Damn beasts skin is to thick!"

Berta's moves in for one more attempt with her gauntlets only to verify that punching a brick wall may have more effect than hitting this otherworldly skin of the beast.

In anger and frustration the beast swipes at Viktor contacting the plate encrusted warrior with it's boulder sized hands with a powerful roundhouse knocking him off his feet with a resounding clang of bone vs plate leaving a large dent in the breastplate. Seeing one prey knocked down the demonic beast narrows on the next closest prey just outside of gauntlet range and counter swipes against Berta. It's powerful swipes continue to spray water by sheer momentum as it catches Berta during her strategic withdrawal. While Berta's lighter armor gives her an advantage in some situations, in this case it gives next to nothing as a few of the brass rings become detached at the beasts impact. Berta is also tossed back, almost effortlessly, due to the fists impact causing a tidal spray of lichen and water to douse the area.

Andrew, Rael, and Not-Khazim make the pool in time to witness the waterworks. Both Andrew and Rael take pause to assess the situation while Not-Khazim roars his own challenge and barrels into the water creating his own counterwake as the short nomad moves forward with hate filled purpose.
Angrboda
 player, 592 posts
Wed 24 Apr 2019
at 18:27
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Angrboda looks at her tiny dagger and then back at the beastly demon attacking the group, "Well, I hope you have decided to wake up fully." she says to the magical weapon as she looks for an opening to stab at the demon.

OOC:  Not sure how the system works but she is tryiong to fight defensively, making sure she has a chance to parry if she gets attack.
Berta
 player, 577 posts
 of Ilmiora
Fri 26 Apr 2019
at 12:48
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
So fierce is the blow that sends Berta flying that it leaves her lying all but senseless in the foul waters, spitting blood as she tries and fails to stand ...

... and then her head rocks back as dark energies coruscate within her breast and a roar of rage and vengeance is torn raw from her throat !

The pain of her wounds now seems to trouble her not at all as the warrior-woman rises from the lake, as if it pushes her away, her sword clutched in one hand like a talon, her other hand a bent and battered mass that resembles nothing more than a cudgel.

With that terrible scream still shaking her form, Berta lunges forwards, heedless now of any danger.

The sword strike is wild, more a menace to any near her than to the spider-creature ... but that misshapen fist hammers hard against the demon's carapace, the impact merely fuelling her anger.
Viktor
 player, 807 posts
Tue 30 Apr 2019
at 21:19
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Watches Berta get knocked down fuels his blood lust rage. Gets up and tries to take a swing with his mighty axe at the beasts knees. Trying to hurry before Not Khazim shows up.
The Grey Lords
 GM, 841 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Sun 12 May 2019
at 21:22
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Berta raises from the scummy water with purpose as she hacks at the skeletal beast. Justin's words hold true as Berta's sword sparks off of the beasts hide as she brings it down in a wild chopping motion. Her attack gives Viktor the moment for himself to slide in with his Lormyrian Axe. Only Viktor, or his god, knows what fuels the rage that strengthens each of his blows as once again his mighty axe cleaves into the bony beast releasing a wash of ichor from a second large gash.
Justin moves next to Angrboda, "Sometimes the better part of Valor is to know when the large flying blades are best to be away from." He motions towards Viktor with his rapier.

Justin is roughly body-shoved out of the way as Not-Khazim barrels forward past Angrboda and Justin, spear in hand. A quick thrust of the weapon proves as much effect as Berta's sword moments before.

Distracted by the number of targets, and how easily Viktor seems to be able to slice away chunks of the bony armor, the trashing of the beast accomplishes little more than spraying everyone with scummy water.
Berta
 player, 579 posts
 of Ilmiora
Wed 15 May 2019
at 14:23
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
The uselessness of her blade against this demon is all too apparent, even without the further example of Justin and Not-Khazim ... yet Berta does not abandon her sword, much as she would like to simply toss it aside, for the creature seems to view the weapon as a threat, sufficient at least to give it some pause and allow Viktor to breach its defences.

Yet the warrior-woman is not prepared simply to stand and watch - if naught else the rage that burns within her will not countenance such passivity.

Instead she puts all her strength into one mighty blow, slamming her fist into the demon's carapace with as much force as she can muster.
Angrboda
 player, 594 posts
Wed 15 May 2019
at 15:03
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Angrboda looks down at the tiny dagger in her hand and then back to the massive demon, even knowing the dagger holds a demon also doesn't make her confident in her ability to hurt the thrashing beast in front of her.  Seeing the ineffectual attacks of Justin and Berts however she decides to throw her lot in and attempt an attack on the beast.

OOC: 08:02, Today: Angrboda rolled 58 using 1d100.

I guess that means I hit?

Viktor
 player, 808 posts
Mon 20 May 2019
at 16:53
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Happy for a moment that his axe is able to cut the beast. Waits for another moment to slice, when he notices something floating in the water. Reaches down and the beast has made him spill his wine sack.  Pissed beyond belief throws the sack at the beast. Smoke almost pours out of him as he lets out his loudest battle cry yet as a warning to his comrades that they might want to duck. Waits for the perfect opportunity to go for the neck of the beast.
The Grey Lords
 GM, 843 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Thu 23 May 2019
at 22:06
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Angrboda is able to slide in the reach of the trashing skeletal beast as it continues to concentrate on Viktor and his axe. Sadly, like most of the bladed weapons before it, Angrboda's dagger glances off of the thick bony hide of the oracle's mount. Moving along side the nonhuman sorceress, Justin Adds his own darting rapier for a duplicate success as he adds frustration to his stabbing thrust. Each of the attackers darts around the lumbering beast with a ferocity of a hundred ants swarming as Berta adds her own heavy fists to the fray. Bone chips fly as her own dented gauntlet continues to smash down on the beast.

Not-Khazim attempts to jab once more with the short boar spear with as much results as his/it's first thrust. Anger and frustration is matched with steam as droplets hit the spear which has taken on the bluish glow leaking from Not-Khazim's eyes. Ineffective swipes from the beast are easily dodged as water is sprayed across the area in the beasts obviously weakening attempts to hit the assembled attackers.

Viktor's axe is able to finally land a blow. He is able to once again bury his axe deep into the beasts hide. The final hit releases a wave of nasty fluid that washes over the Pan Tangian soldier covering the not submerged portions with a vile smelling fluid. The Beast thrashes for a moment and collapses into the foul water to lay still.

The oracle remains suspended in the air as if it were still on the beasts back.
"You are worthy enough to pass the first test. What is it you seek?" She slowly drifts down to the surface of the calming pool, her unseeing eyes slowly washing over those assembled in the pool.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:32, Fri 24 May.

Berta
 player, 581 posts
 of Ilmiora
Sat 25 May 2019
at 06:33
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
As the beast finally falls, Berta stands panting, struggling to master the rage that still burns within her breast.  And even as she does regain some semblance of control, the Oracle's words cause that anger to rise up again.

First test ? She purses her lips to keep the curses that want to spill from her tongue from gushing forth, turning her attention to her crushed hand.

Clumsily sheathing her blade with the other, the warrior-woman grits her teeth and sets about trying to prise off the damaged gauntlet without further damaging the hand within, leaving Angrboda and Justin to bandy words with the beautiful but eyeless Oracle.
Viktor
 player, 809 posts
Sun 26 May 2019
at 16:59
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Upset that the beast's head didn't go flying as he dumps out the wine sack and puts it in his pocket. Glad the beast was destroyed. First you spill my wine and then cover me with demon guts! Tries shaking off the nasty liquid covering him and starts to laugh.
The Grey Lords
 GM, 846 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Thu 6 Jun 2019
at 19:23
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea


Andrew and Justin wait a few moments till things are calmed down and everyone has taken an inventory of the damage. Both of them exchange glances and obviously unspoken words. Stealing a glance at Not-Khazim Justin steps forward and begins "We have traveled far to seek your knowledge. In this time we are seeking the answers to what has plagued one off our companions." He motions towards Not-Khazim "What we seek is a way to free our friend and return each entity to where they are supposed to be." His hand returns to his side. "That is my question to you Oracle."

Andrew nods and flashes a quick thumbs up with the intention that Not-Khazim is unable to see.
Viktor
 player, 812 posts
Fri 7 Jun 2019
at 02:33
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Keeps laughing hysterically as the blood starts to flow back to normal. B...eTrying to say Berta as his legs start to buckle. Looks at Berta as his eyes roll back to normal and faints straight backwards.
Angrboda
 player, 599 posts
Fri 7 Jun 2019
at 18:43
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
"Well, after that we can go with where are we?" says Angrboda wondering how many questions they get before another challenge is put forth, "Follow by how do we get out of here?"
Berta
 player, 583 posts
 of Ilmiora
Sat 8 Jun 2019
at 05:24
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
The warrior-woman's struggle to remove her ruined gauntlet ceases abruptly as the demon heart within her grows quiescent, and the cold realisation strikes her of what has happened, forcing from her mind any consideration of what answers she might demand of the Oracle.

"By the Lords of Law and Enthropy and all that lies between !" she swears, biting down on the terror as she stares at her left hand, her jaw tightening as she struggles to open and close her fingers. "This Thrice-be-damned metal glove is now melded with my flesh ... part of me !"

Viktor:
B...eTrying to say Berta as his legs start to buckle. Looks at Berta as his eyes roll back to normal and faints straight backwards.

Even preoccupied as she is, and most usually inclined to ignore Viktor's complaints, she can't ignore the big Pan Tangian falling back into the water, rousing her and sending her striding to his side, to haul him up so at least his head is out of the water, holding him protectively as she calls his name and shakes him, trying to rouse him.

"Viktor !  Viktor ! Wake, damn you ... Viktor !"
The Grey Lords
 GM, 848 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Wed 12 Jun 2019
at 21:21
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Rael gathers his bag and runs over to the edge of the scummy pool motioning to berta and the once again immobile form of Viktor. "I need him on the shore! I need to see all his wounds." He steps in towards Berta leaving his bag on the edge of the pool. Sloshing forward he moves to try and grab the iron shod boots of Viktor in an effort to help move the solid Pan Tangian to the shore.

Not-Khazim sits immobile his staring split between the oracle, Justin, and Andrew.

The Oracle floats just barely above the water. Her blind face impassive and emotionless, as if it does not notice the commotion surrounding Viktor. "That of which you seek can not be found here. It lies beyond which holds the shallow waters at bay. There, among the last vestiges of humanity, will you find the key to your answer." The Oracle tilts her head a bit upon hearing Angrboda's voice. "You stand upon the highest peaks of M'oor Talen. You stand on the land of the whispering sea. Do you not like it? Can you not hear your ancestors call to you from the past? Can you not hear them calling you to join them?" A small smile creeps on the Oracle's face that seems far more unnerving than comforting. "To leave, little one, You must find that which keeps the shallow waters at bay."

Andrew looks back towards Berta and Rael. He hastens a few steps to help the duo drag Viktor towards the shore.


OOC>> This next part is under the assumption that you ARE going to get Viktor to the shore.

With considerable effort the limp body of Viktor is unceremoniously dragged and set on the edge of the pool. Rael quickly digs into his rucksack and begins to hand vials to anyone with an open hand. Thanks to the fact that Viktor had removed his armor prior to the incident Rael has easy access to the multiple gashes and tears in his thick hide. Shards of masonry stick out of various wounds. After each shard is removed Rael instructs someone with a free hand to jab a poultice on and to begin wrapping with any free cloth.

OOC>> Viktor has been pelted with dozens of shards and is weeping blood. After several minuets Rael will get them patched and Vitor stable. However, due to the shock Viktor does not seem to be regaining consciousness.
Viktor
 player, 813 posts
Sat 15 Jun 2019
at 14:12
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
The world goes black and visions appear of women, wine and puppies. Chuckles a little in his sleep as he drifts off to never never land...
Angrboda
 player, 600 posts
Sat 15 Jun 2019
at 18:05
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Angrboda shakes her head, "Damn demons and their cryptic answers." she thinks as she listens to the riddles spewing forth from the oracles mouth, "Alright then, how do we find the thing that keeps the shallow waters at bay?"
Berta
 player, 584 posts
 of Ilmiora
Sun 16 Jun 2019
at 05:34
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Having given her blood that she might hear the Oracle, Berta now struggles to close her ears to the nonsense that the blind woman spouts, all her attention on the unconscious Pan Tangian.

Getting Viktor out of the pool was the easy part, for all that even she, strong and big as she is, needed the help of Rael and Andrew to move him, hampered as she was by a hand that is now more blade than flesh.

And her fallen friend needs no more cuts or tears, for the demon's demise has hurt him badly, she sees, tearing makeshift bandages and applying them as the pale man directs her, the battle to save Viktor one that swords and axes even razor sharp fists cannot win.

"Is it working ?" she questions Rael urgently, glaring at the Oracle over his shoulder.  "Why does he not awaken ?"
The Grey Lords
 GM, 849 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Fri 21 Jun 2019
at 00:03
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Rael looks to Berta and sighs. "Sometimes the body just needs to shutdown." He points to the prior nose and skin alterations of Viktor and then to Berta's own hand. "It may be that whatever has afflicted you two may simply stressed him to the point of simply needing to rest." Rael begins to gather his items away from the edge of the pool. "I've bound his wounds and done what I can. All we can do at this point is wait." Andrew looks at the wounds and then towards the other two attending Viktor. Pointing to Rael's own hand Andrew speaks up. "Kaa can attempt to revive him with the same power he used to mend your own hand. At least it can give it a shot if your willing." Rael absently scratches the scarred flesh on his own hand.

The sightless eyes of the Oracle fixate on Angrboda. "For now you are on the highest point of M'oor Talen yet here you are at your lowest." The Oracle's bare feet gracefully step forward across the surface stagnant pond towards her. Each step leaving a tiny ripple on the surface. She bends down reaching her pale skinned hand towards the side of Angrboda's face. Her cupped fingers extend softly towards the side of Angrboda's jaw. "I can tell you young one that you seek Straasha's Bane and that it is in a place that he could never reach."
Angrboda
 player, 601 posts
Fri 21 Jun 2019
at 02:26
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Angrboda just sneers at the Oracles touch, "Very well demon, where do we need to go to acquire this Straasha's bane?" she asks looking around at the sea available to her sight.
Berta
 player, 585 posts
 of Ilmiora
Sat 22 Jun 2019
at 04:55
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
That anything might push the big Pan Tangian beyond his endurance, Berta can scarcely credit ... yet still Viktor sleeps and shows no sign of wakening.  And the straits in which they find themselves are forgiving of no weakness ...

"Do what you can," the warrior-woman asks Andrew, looking to Rael for his approval, the Pale man knowing far more of the risks than she.

"I shall do what I can to prevent further bloodshed !"  Alerted by the tone of the Melnibonean's reponse to the Oracle, Berta stands.  She's no use at all for the Oracle-demon, of course, holding it fully responsible for Viktor's condition (and that of her own warped hand) save that they needs gain the answers it purportedly holds.

Stepping into the dank pool once more, Berta wades over to Angrboda's side, offering just a small nod to her companion to show she has the warrior-woman's support and no greeting at all to the Oracle as she waits for the blind woman's answer, trying to make what sense she can of what she's heard but partly and understood less.

'Straasha's Bane' is the thing that holds the waters at bay, it seems, and it can be found in a place the Lord of Water cannot reach ... such as the 'highest point of M'oor Talen' ?

Berta would be the first to declare herself no great thinker (though she'd challenge any other who dared say such) and takes the Oracle's words literally, where others might seek instead to glean hidden meanings.

And so her gaze strays to the top of the pillar as she chews over these thoughts, wondering if perhaps there is aught else up there from whence Angrboda plucked the book, and moreover ...

"What do we do with it, with 'Straasha's Bane' ?" she demands of the Oracle impatiently, "Do we destroy it ?"  The Lord of Water hates his rival, Lord Pyaray, so anything that would help the former would be to the detriment of the Chaos Fleet and therefore much to be desired.
The Grey Lords
 GM, 850 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Sun 23 Jun 2019
at 03:50
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Andrew nods and waves Rael away. He pulls out a small tube and slides along sinewy form out of the container. After whispering a few instructions to the item, hundreds of tiny cilia like feathers beat against the air to send the serpentine creature aloft. The tiny winged snake flits over to the comatose form of Viktor and lays on his chest. The creature begins to glow a soft rosy light. Soon the aura begins to envelope the Pan Tangian like water being slowly poured over his form.

Viktor's Eyes flit open.


The Oracle's other hand flits over to Berta. The fingers gently extended as if a mother were caressing the cheeks of two favored daughters. Focusing on the tall warrior with her sightless eyes, "Of course, that would return the shallow waters." The Oracle tilts her head slightly and returns her "gaze" to Angrboda. "Why, it rests where the shallow waters can not reach."
Viktor
 player, 814 posts
Tue 25 Jun 2019
at 16:29
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Slowly opens his eyes and makes an attempt at getting up. Very slow but steady as he rises. Feels his teeth and chuckles at his new tusks. Got any raw meat?
Berta
 player, 586 posts
 of Ilmiora
Sat 29 Jun 2019
at 06:49
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Unlike the Melnibonean, Berta is more angered by than contemptuous of the Oracle's touch upon her face, but betrays nothing of that save by the hardening of her eyes, doing her best to ignore the affront that she might gain thereby.

"The shallows ..." that would seem to confirm the path her thoughts have set her upon, though the answer which Angrboda is given could be interpreted to mean either the heights (of Mo'or Talen as she had surmised) or the depths of the ocean which might be beyond Lord Straasha, but equally beyond the reach of herself and her companions.

"I think 'Straasha's Bane' is here," the warrior-woman suggests to Angrboda, deciding, though she does not take her eyes off the Oracle, refusing (or not daring) to turn away from that blind gaze, though the sounds behind her of Viktor's awakening do bring a small smile to her face, all that she'll allow herself for the moment.
The Grey Lords
 GM, 851 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Tue 2 Jul 2019
at 14:06
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Andrew and Rael help Viktor to his feet. "Take it easy, you took a nasty hit" Rael begins to inspect the newly grown tusks barely protruding from Viktors mouth. Andrew slides his serpentine friend back into the tube like holster at his belt. "I'm sorry fella but Kaa is in no condition to get you something. The only raw meat is going to be down on the beach with those iguanas if there are any here."

Justin sits watching as the Oracle caresses the cheeks of the two. He addresses the three women while glancing back at Not-Khazim who has completely taken no interest in the talking going on and has started to wander around the plateau. "I'm not familiar with this Pyaray the fish man spoke of. It is obvious that it rules this realm and it is some sort of ocean god. Would Straasha be it's nemesis given the talks of shallow water? If that is true I doubt that the item that would bane it's nemesis would be out of it's own reach up here."

"Maybe we should have taken that fishman up on his offer to meet this lord. If only we knew what we were looking for in the first place." Andrew kicks a loose rock in the general direction of the closest edge to the plateau.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:27, Fri 05 July.

Viktor
 player, 815 posts
Thu 4 Jul 2019
at 16:40
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Nods and gets his items and armor back on. He then goes on one knee and asks Donblas for strength. Finds a piece of jerky in his pocket and chews on it with his new teeth.
Berta
 player, 587 posts
 of Ilmiora
Fri 5 Jul 2019
at 13:11
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Justin's words do naught to improve Berta's humour, already tested by both the Oracle's touch and her riddles.

"Pyaray and Straasha are enemies certainly ... but you're right ... most like anything that would harm one would harm the other," the warrior-woman concedes reluctantly.

"'Where shallow waters cannot reach' ..." Berta repeats.  "In deep waters ?"

"What form does "Strassha's Bane take ?" she demands of the blind woman, "and how do we get from here to where it lies?"
The Grey Lords
 GM, 852 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Sat 13 Jul 2019
at 01:01
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
The Oracle focuses her sightless face on Berta's own as it twists into a small look of motherly concern. "The Bane is a chalice and you are right dearest one, it is very deep. It is held in the embrace of the embodiment of the world itself. The trek is long and difficult but I know you can handle it." Her hand slowly withdraws from Angrboda and Berta's face. With a slight flip of her wrist she points to the sea beyond the edge of the plateau. "Why, you walk." She raises to her feet and begins to walk towards the path that brought each of you to the top off the plateau.
Berta
 player, 588 posts
 of Ilmiora
Mon 15 Jul 2019
at 05:57
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
A mother's concern ... Berta has known, if perhaps not always been a deserving recipient, and her frustration, at least for the moment, turns towards confusion.

Though even that quickly passes as the Oracle finally provides a simple truth that the warrior-woman can latch on to.  A chalice.  And hidden deep, though seemingly within the earth not the sea.

Leaving but the conundrum of how to reach it.  With but a quick glance at Angrboda, Berta hurries after the blind woman with long strides, eager to see where the Oracle leads them.

The path that they climbed ... might that trail go down also ?
Viktor
 player, 816 posts
Thu 18 Jul 2019
at 17:21
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Finds all of his items and gets his weapons and armor ready. Waits as he half listens to the oracle. Not excited about having to walk a long distance. Rests and waits for the oracle to give them direction.
The Grey Lords
 GM, 853 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Thu 18 Jul 2019
at 23:55
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
Justin, Andrew, and the rest of the crew watch as the Oracle begins the downward trek along the ruined path. Where the group had issues the Oracle has none as her feet barely touch the ground. After a long climb down you find yourselves at the beach were you woke up after the encounter with Pyaray's flagship.

The Oracle stops at the shore and waves her hand at the ocean whispering behind her as if she were showing off the newest treasure in a kings horde. Her pale white skin gleams like a pearl against the twilight sky and grey rolling waves.

"Below the waves and beyond the light. Since you are set upon this course for the Chalice that is where you can find it." She motions to Berta with that same sorrowful look on her face from earlier "Please come forth." She stretches both hands in front of her palms up waiting for Berta to take them.
Berta
 player, 589 posts
 of Ilmiora
Sun 21 Jul 2019
at 06:06
The Whispering Sea - The Oracle and the Sea
The cold grey seas seem now no more enticing than when they fled Pyaray's ship, and the long climb down in the Oracle's wake has set her pulse a-racing.  Though that she must enter the whispering ocean once more seems now inevitable, much as she would prefer a hidden stair descending through the earth and setting aside the small matter that she'll be long drowned before her corpse reaches the ocean's floor ...

Jaw tightening, Berta yet bows to the necessity, squaring her shoulders as she looks briefly to her companions before crossing the sands to join the blind woman, offering up her hands (the one that is more weapon that flesh somewhat hesitantly and almost apologetically, for all the spider-demon was the cause of it) and her trust besides.