Dark Eyes, Cold Hearts - The Blunted Blade.   Posted by The Grey Lords.Group: archive 1
Sekatus 'Spooky' Bane
 Player, 4 posts
Mon 17 Nov 2014
at 16:47
Re: Dark Eyes, Cold Hearts - The Blunted Blade
 As the bartender addressed Spooky, he seemed shocked, even pointing his index finger at himself, as if to say "Who me?" before he unstrapped the strange device, and laid in on the table so the others could inspect it. Spooky did make sure the safety was on, and guessed by their reactions, that no one other than himself would know how to make it work again. Spooky was genuinely amused, slightly wondering if they were just messing with him to get a hold of his weapon. Of course, Spooky had a plan for that instance.

 Without speaking, Spooky goes over the machine, lightly tracing it with his fingers like it was a fine woman. After a few moments, Spooky simply shrugged at the bartender, then re-strapped the rifle to his back. Taking a mug in his hand, Spooky took a long drink from the container, and waited for the others to chime in.

 [Private to GM: After Spooky sets the rifle down, hopefully distracting the others, he will attempt to grab the note that fell without anyone else noticing. Also, for your records, when I made Spooky, he was supposed to be akin to "Silent Bob" in that he was only going to speak when it would have the most effect, but the other game, we didn't have many that knew what we were doing, so I had to expand his chattiness a bit. In this world however, everyone seems to have a handle on what is going on, so, I want to play Spooky the original way he was envisioned. Though I won't let his lack of speech affect the game in a negative way!]
Viktor
 player, 13 posts
Mon 17 Nov 2014
at 20:22
Re: Dark Eyes, Cold Hearts - The Blunted Blade
looks over at Spooky...
I got one of those papers too...hey white mask play a song on your flute for us.
The Grey Lords
 GM, 37 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Tue 18 Nov 2014
at 03:53
Re: Dark Eyes, Cold Hearts - The Blunted Blade
With the rather odd, and silent, response to the inquiry the bartender shrugs his shoulders and continues to gather the mugs.

"Ahh well, Contrivers and their toys."
[Private to Corvus: While attention was focused on the instrument lying on the table, you saw the masked man make a few odd motions. On the floor you saw, for a brief second, two rolled pieces of paper. One was obviously near your chair, while the other seemed closer to "Spooky". Swiftly, almost to the point where your not sure if you even saw them, he snatched them up off the ground.]
[Private to Khazim: While attention was focused on the instrument lying on the table, you saw the masked man make a few odd motions. On the floor between Corvus and "Spooky" you swear you saw two rolled pieces of paper. "Spooky" quickly and deftly snatched both of them. If you had not happened to have dropped your eyes at that moment, best bet is that you would have missed what just happened.]
The bartender turns away and begins to make his rounds once more. The music once again takes on a happier tone as the dancing girl takes a quick break to get a bit of drink and food.

The item placed on the table looked like a jumbled mess of half weapons. One end is long and narrow, resembling a spear shaft, but obviously far to thin to be an accurate handle. The other end, large and bulky in a vague wedge shape looks more like a good business end, but the large spyglass down the middle seems completely out of place. Obviously a sighting tool of some kind as used by ship captains, the location, and seemingly uselessness of the rest of the apparatus, would make that particular item far to bulky to properly use on any seafaring ship.

A few more patrons shift about the place trying to get a look at the strange thing that had landed in their midst. Obviously their curiosity has overcome their reluctance to acknowledge the ragtag group.
Khazim
 player, 22 posts
Tue 18 Nov 2014
at 15:48
Re: Dark Eyes, Cold Hearts - The Blunted Blade
Khazim looks askance at "Spooky" and Corvus for a moment then shrugs and takes a seat. He decides to see where things go. While briefly fascinated by the strange device he quickly determines it is of no use to him as he relies upon his bow for his livelihood. He scrutinizes the gathering of people, looking to see if he notices anything else that seems unusual. He drinks slowly from his mug, wanting to keep his wits about him.
Rael Gol
 player, 8 posts
Tue 18 Nov 2014
at 21:30
Re: Dark Eyes, Cold Hearts - The Blunted Blade
Rael peek at the strange apparatus on the table with the rest of the group. He seem to be totally absorb on the thing "It's amazing..." he whispers "... may I touch it..." he asks his hands already reaching to the thing "What is it?"
The Grey Lords
 GM, 38 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Wed 19 Nov 2014
at 03:45
Re: Dark Eyes, Cold Hearts - The Blunted Blade
With many eyes on the artifact on the table it almost goes unnoticed as another strange individual slides up to the bar. Barkeep! A round for myself as I am about to set forth and a grand adventure! The man slaps a handful of bronze on the bar top.

As your eyes settle on his, you can see that the man is not much into 20 summers. A scrabble of a beard is his attempt at looking dashing, however the somewhat mottled growth gives him far more of boy playing at a man appearance. His clothes are fine, but not to expensive, and almost completely out of place in a tavern for working folks such as this. After he receives his ale, he turns around, leans on a chair with one elbow crooked at the bar and begins to eye up the dancing girl.

"Ohh yeah, Hey, how much for a private dance?"

The dancing girl slows her dancing for a moment to take in the newcomer. she slowly turns and dances towards him, only to spin sharply, head held high, and swiftly dances away.
Corvus
 player, 13 posts
Wed 19 Nov 2014
at 15:49
Re: Dark Eyes, Cold Hearts - The Blunted Blade
"Lout..." mutters Corvus, momentarily eyeing the loud newcomer. Some people just lacked the necessary...style.

But he turned back to the strange artifact that so impressed everyone around the table. Corvus was curious himself, but he had no idea what it was and when that was the case he preferred not to dwell on things. His sharp eyes had already caught some manouvers under the table, sleight of hand - or foot - and all that, but for now his gaze drifted back to the dancing girl...
Sekatus 'Spooky' Bane
 Player, 5 posts
Wed 19 Nov 2014
at 16:08
Re: Dark Eyes, Cold Hearts - The Blunted Blade
 Spooky remained as he had, silent. Though as Rael reached for it, Spooky gently and slowly placed his hand over the trigger. They weren't sure what it was, but if someone accidentally pulled that switch, he would surely be labeled a 'witch' or something worse due to his 'boomstick'.

 After Spooky covered the dangerous part, he waved a hand at Rael, as if inviting him to touch it. Spooky knew he couldn't do any harm to the weapon, at least he hoped not. Considering most people thought it to be an instrument, he didn't figure anyone would want to damage the thing in the first place.

 Spooky found his thoughts wandering back to before he ended up in this strange world. He longed to be back in his home, before the Regulators came and got him. He wasn't mad, per se, but this wasn't part of the contract. He imagined the wonders of his home world, and a slight chuckle emanated from behind he mask as he thought of the reaction the people here would have if they were fortunate, or unfortunate actually, enough to see a Glitter Boy for the first time.

 Spooky turned his gaze upon the boy-man that had sat at their table. His hollow eye sockets of empty darkness pierced in his direction. He wasn't sure who the guy was, or what he was doing, but Spooky had no time to babysit, and this lad looked as though he should still be training for his future profession. Without shaking his gaze, Spooky handed Corvus a slip of paper. Those that were watching particularly close, might have noticed him pick it up off the floor. He then sat another slip of paper in front of himself, all the while still staring at the new guy at the table.

 In this establishment, the youth was either very brave, or very stupid. Hell, Spooky himself would have avoided this table were he not one of the 'freak show' asked to move,
Eclair
 player, 4 posts
Thu 20 Nov 2014
at 13:30
Re: Dark Eyes, Cold Hearts - The Blunted Blade
Eclair is not sure about being with all these people.   When she got the summons, she felt an obligation to respond.    Maybe she would get some answers on this journey.   However she did not know that she would be in the company of this kind of crew.

"Yes I did get a paper like described.   Does anyone know who this strange benefactor was that summoned to this wretched place?"

The Grey Lords
 GM, 39 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Fri 21 Nov 2014
at 14:45
Re: Dark Eyes, Cold Hearts - The Blunted Blade
That last few words seems to echo across the tavern as a slight lull the in music happen to time it self inappropriately at that moment. The music, that was about to begin, falters for a second as the feeling that the whole place took offense at the offered judgement of the bar that the locals so favored. Grumblings can be heard as well as a few sideways glances that are no longer among the wondering or admiring few.

Lucky, the tension is broken as the front door opens once again. In shuffles a tiny man, barely reaching 4' tall, wrapped in a plain brown hooded robe. The robe, reminiscent of a monastic garb, has the hood pulled over the individuals face hiding most of the strangers features. With the exception of a long hooked nose peaking out from the folds of the hood, only the glint of a pair of close-set beady eyes can be seen.

The tavern, as is standard, slow down the temp of conversation and drinking to take a quick glance at the newest stranger. After taking their their 10 second judgement they go back to nursing their tales and brews, giving the hooded strange no more a warm welcome than you yourselves received.  The man stops a few feet in the door, and slowly scans around the room taking in the faces and features off all. His eyes settle on the newly arrived youth at the bar and he begins to shuffle over. [Secret to Hraal; Viktor: Your not sure, but you swear to the higher lords that when this guy moves, there is a slight muffled tinkle bell like jingle coming from him.]

"You are the one who received the summons? I doubt it." the man's somewhat nasally voice cracks in an almost youthful pubescence itself.
"You would not even last 2 seconds against a Kerg, Begone"and he waves his gnarled hand in dismissal.

Taking a few more seconds to scan further, he firmly shoves the youth out of his way, and makes his way towards the group waiting at the table. The youth is easily shoved aside and looses his balance. With a not so graceful recovery he stammers a bit "Now See here..." The hooded man turns around and is in the face of the youth before anyone even blinks. "You are weak and pathetic, be glad I'm doing you a favor, go home and suckle at your mother some more welp."

With that, the hooded man leaves the youth dumbfounded. Beneath the hooded robe, an almost Cheshire effect happens with a snaggle-toothed grin that appears below the hooked nose. The moistness of the lips and glint in the eyes eclipse all else. His eyes once again settles on the group as he resumes his trek towards you, the obvious intended destination.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:07, Tue 25 Nov 2014.

Corvus
 player, 14 posts
Fri 21 Nov 2014
at 15:07
Re: Dark Eyes, Cold Hearts - The Blunted Blade
The stranger with the mask (and stranger device) handed one of the pieces of paper that Corvus had seen him surreptitiously lift from the floor to the captain, and he momentarily raised his eyebrows before accepting.

"My thanks."

Then he sat and waited for what followed. When the small man in the hooded robe entered as he did, Corvus suspected this was the fellow for whom they had been waiting. Although he appreciated the dismissal of the youth, there was something in the manner of it that made the captain wary. But he would wait to see what the creep had to say.
Viktor
 player, 14 posts
Sat 22 Nov 2014
at 02:38
Re: Dark Eyes, Cold Hearts - The Blunted Blade
Takes his stone out and starts sharpening his axe...Enough already...Why are we here? in deep dark voice...
Viktor
 player, 15 posts
Sat 22 Nov 2014
at 19:05
Re: Dark Eyes, Cold Hearts - The Blunted Blade
Puts his stone back in its pocket and reaches for a small sack he had acquired...opens it up and dumps it out...
Damn barbarians...steal a bag full of money and it is full of shiny pebbles...looks over at Eclair...hey pretty girl..I have some shiny pebbles for ya...
Khazim
 player, 23 posts
Mon 24 Nov 2014
at 03:37
Re: Dark Eyes, Cold Hearts - The Blunted Blade
Khazim stares at the hooded being, not quite sure what to make of it. He finds it difficult to imagine this person having anything to do with the ornate letter he received. He settles back and waits to see how everything plays out, casting his eyes around the room to see what the other patrons are doing.
The Grey Lords
 GM, 40 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Mon 24 Nov 2014
at 17:31
Re: Dark Eyes, Cold Hearts - The Blunted Blade
The small man stops a few feet from the assembled crew. He slowly looks at each and every one of you as if he is looking at a corral of horses.

"Yes, yes, definitely those who were summoned. Good, Good."
His Eyes glint as they soak in what is offered.
"Ahh yes, a pretender, an open mind, ohh Strong, yes good."
His eyes stop on Eclair and you think you hear a sort of sniffing
"Hrrmmm, Interesting"

His "composure" is regained as he straightens up to his full 4'1" height. A gnarled hand is produced from the folds of his robe.

"You received your missives? Yes? For seeking employment with my master?"

The Cheshire grin once again returns in some sort of secret joke.

"The job is simple, yes, very simple. A mere escort needed, Big and strong escort." A slight, barely heard giggle escapes afterwards.

"Moving weapons from point A to B" His hand points to an imaginary point "A" in the air, and slowly moves across an imaginary horizon to rest at the place punctuated at imaginary point "B".

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:08, Tue 25 Nov 2014.

Hraal
 player, 17 posts
Mon 24 Nov 2014
at 17:51
Re: Dark Eyes, Cold Hearts - The Blunted Blade
Hraal folds leans on his elbows and a stifles a yawn. "What's in it for us?"
Viktor
 player, 16 posts
Mon 24 Nov 2014
at 23:47
Re: Dark Eyes, Cold Hearts - The Blunted Blade

Perhaps we would open our ears with a fresh brew in my hand...sets the pebbles in front of Eclair and winks at her...
The Grey Lords
 GM, 41 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Tue 25 Nov 2014
at 13:48
Re: Dark Eyes, Cold Hearts - The Blunted Blade
Focusing his attention on Hraal the short stranger unfolds both gnarled hands in a wide gesture.

"Why money of course, what other means of barter is universally accepted. How much it asks? Yes how much indeed. That is a matter between you and my mistress. She controls the coffer, not me her lowly servant. That is a matter best served between you two."

With that he makes a grandiosely mocking subservient bow as if he were addressing a king or queen
[Private to Rael Gol: For all his showmanship and mocking he is genuinely telling the truth that he is merely a messenger sent to retrieve you. Everything, however truthful, is tinged with an underlying mischievousness]
"If Barter is your wish, I should let you talk to the mistress yourself. You wish to barter?"
At the punctuation of the last statement the short man produces from the folds of his robes a small, delicate glass sphere about the size of an apple. By simple glancing you can tell that the sphere is made of a glass so thin, it is almost as if it were a soap bubble. In side the sphere you can see a swirling cloud like mass. Distinct swirls of just about every color slowly shift around in the globe instead of melding together.

"Shall we meet with her?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:09, Tue 25 Nov 2014.

Corvus
 player, 15 posts
Tue 25 Nov 2014
at 16:07
Re: Dark Eyes, Cold Hearts - The Blunted Blade
"Honestly? I'm fine with the money."

Corvus feels his own throat getting a touch dry, though maybe for a variety of reasons.
Hraal
 player, 18 posts
Tue 25 Nov 2014
at 16:19
Re: Dark Eyes, Cold Hearts - The Blunted Blade
Hraal's lips twitch into a smile. "No need to barter, my friend.  I am sure that your mistress will treat us fairly."  He scratches the back of his neck.  "I for one am prepared to meet her, if and when the rest of the is motley is will and able."
Rael Gol
 player, 9 posts
Tue 25 Nov 2014
at 20:03
Re: Dark Eyes, Cold Hearts - The Blunted Blade
Rael Gol listen carefully to the imp tale and slowly nods at his words "I speak only for myself but I will take coin, I would like to know how much coin and what is the nature of the job."

He smiles a meritless smile "Where are point A and B are and what sort of opposition do we expect to encounter..."

He glance about "I am no warrior but I will mend your wounds and brew you potions that would restore your health should you come hurt or ill."
Eclair
 player, 5 posts
Thu 27 Nov 2014
at 02:32
Re: Dark Eyes, Cold Hearts - The Blunted Blade
Ignoring the advances being made to her, she focuses on the little man.

Money is all and good, but what type of bartering is there to be had?

Eclair wonders if this may help her with her...predicament.
The Grey Lords
 GM, 42 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Thu 27 Nov 2014
at 14:06
Re: Dark Eyes, Cold Hearts - The Blunted Blade
Looking at Eclair, the small man takes a few shuffling steps towards her. A hand outstretches outwards, fingers twitching ever so slightly, towards Eclairs covered arm. Before even going a foot or more the arm snaps back as if he remembers where he is at.
"What type indeed? Used to other payments are we? All talk of payment, money, and promises. It sounds like you are all ready to set this course going? Time to talk, meet the mistress? Yes? All answers best served by her. Lowliest of lowlies that I am is only sent to fetch."

With that, the hand with the small glass bauble swiftly extends into the air with haste. With a speed that is barely able to follow, the short man whips the bauble to the ground causing the delicate sphere to shatter into millions of tiny pieces. The multicolor smoke, finally released from the sphere combines together into a thick yellow smoke that swiftly begins to fill the area. Screams of fear and shouts of alarm from the others in the bar assail your ears from all sides. However the smoke is so thick that you can see nothing, including your short friend. The warrior in many of you cause you to stand in urgency as your instinctive danger sense starts to go off.
[Private to Hraal; Khazim: 07:45, Today: The Grey Lords, on behalf of Khazim, rolled 88 using 1d100. agility. - Fail  07:45, Today: The Grey Lords, on behalf of Hraal, rolled 69 using 1d100. agility. - Fail. You will either stumble to the ground or fall off your chairs]

The floor beneath you screeches a terrible groaning and tearing sound. You feel as if you are being pressed against the floor by some unseen giant hand. Your vision, still obscured by the thick, yellow, stinking fog, makes it extremely difficult to retain your footing. The screams and shouts of the others in the bar fade away as a fierce wind begins to whip all around you. The wind does have one benefit, the fog begins to clear a bit into a haze that you can see somewhat through. It is enough to at least see a few feet, others who were at the table are beginning to come into focus. The fog seems to be forming into a large hemisphere around you.

You begin to give thanks to whatever higher lord has calmed things down a bit when faces, hands, appendages, and other grotesque things are pressed against the outer "fog-wall" as it it were some kind of elastic skin. Slowly, but surely, things that can only be described as demons break through that thin wall. Thankfully or not, you see that as they pass through, the wall rapidly reforms keeping whatever other elements out.

Chances are, this is combat. As I asked earlier in the "Example of Combat" post send me a PM with your actions and several rolls. Over the next couple of days I will collate the actions and play out the scene. I'd like it for this first battle that you simply act (you do not know each others fighting style) in later fights feel free to use the OOC thread to coordinate actions.
Viktor
 player, 17 posts
Sat 29 Nov 2014
at 20:30
Re: Dark Eyes, Cold Hearts - The Blunted Blade
Stands up and holds his axe ready to destroy anything man or demon.
The Grey Lords
 GM, 46 posts
 The Cosmic Balance
Mon 1 Dec 2014
at 15:30
Re: Dark Eyes, Cold Hearts - The Blunted Blade
Not everyone has submitted a "combat PM" so i'm holding for a bit longer.

Several "Demons" push their way through the fog from just about every direction. As you stumble to get ready you take in your opponent briefly.

Demon 1 - Large hooded snake with human arms and a human-like face
Demon 2 - Large reptilian gorilla, Scales instead of fur and more pronounced reptilian face
Demon 3 - Seething, hissing, glob of translucent green protoplasm
Demon 4 - Large black devil-like creature. Pair of horns and a whip-like tail with a barb at the end of it.
Demon 5 - Man sized Cyclops. Single horn on head above eye and main body is studded with short spikes
Demon 6 - Small, round creatures covered in bright-orange porcupine quills. One "Side" has a wide curved mouth with long needle teeth
Demon 7 - Larger than man sized Vulture/Ostrich. Long talons and a hooked beak

As you were all "in the middle" of the hemi-sphere you do have several feet to maneuver and go after a demon of your choosing. (They are arranged in an evenly spaced circle with #1 at the 12 o'clock position)