2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: archive 0
Dungeon Master
 GM, 1661 posts
 All Powerfull
 DM
Mon 11 Apr 2016
at 19:03
2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
The Bullywug Gambit (Dungeon #140)
Chapter One: Kraken's Cove

The party says good bye to a disbelieving Rodolfo - the captain continues to shake his head and proclaim them mad throughout the entire process of them departing via one of the longboats - and are taken to the thin beach below the cliff. The Thyatian sailor promises that he and the crew will wait on The Blue Nixie for at least 24 hours for the party's return.

Once they reach the shore they begin a slippery climb up a step creek bed that in places is more like a waterfall. It takes almost an hour to reach the top, and they are only able to make it that quickly due to the strong silvery moonlight that from the full moon above and with the guidance that Kassius provides. The hunter has to move ahead in many spots and throw down a rope so they others can follow safely.

At the top of the cliff they find that the jungle is alive with the noises of the hot tropical night. Kassius feels uneasy - it seems that the creatures are unnerved and unsettled by something - but they begin the walk south anyway, their destination now marked by thick plumes of smoke rising into the dark sky which are so thick they sometimes blot out the moon. They use as little light as they dare without risking walking off the cliff-face. (What are the party using for light sources now they are 4th level?)

About a mile from Kraken's Cove the jungle changes dramatically. They smell a terrible stench that is a combination of open sewer, rotten eggs and sulphurous volcano. This is no doubt coming from the wispy green fog that is now curly around their legs. The jungle from that point on is eerily silent, even the noise of the wind in the palm trees seems to be dampened. Kassius and Kibeti are in the lead and abruptly signal for the party to stop. A second later the reason is clear - smeared across the path are the remains of several monkeys - it appears that they have been torn apart.

Weapons are drawn, spells are readied and the party continues. More dismembered monkeys are passed, then birds with their wings and heads ripped off, and other brutalised animals. Something very horrible happened here.

They see the glow from the fires in Kraken's Cove long before they get to the edge of the cliff overlooking the little harbour, and hear the roar of a huge fire. Holding their hands or the edges of cloaks across their faces to guard against the stench, the party reach the edge and look down tentatively. And look into hell.

An inferno rages atop the water. In the sheltered harbour 60' below them, many ships are ablaze, just how many exactly is hidden by the thick plumes of smoke that rise into the sky. It appears that the water itself is on fire, or at least a shiny thick slick om the surface of it is, creating a wall of wood and flame. The heat rises in searing sheets, and the roar of the flaming maelstrom is so loud that it is difficult to communicate with each other. Through periodic gaps in the smoke the party can see a small beach and two cave entrances. The entire harbour has the pall of the green mist cast over it, although this is being quickly dispersed by the terrible fire.

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:04, Mon 11 Apr 2016.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 1662 posts
 All Powerfull
 DM
Mon 11 Apr 2016
at 19:10
2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove

Well, the map hardly captures the drama of the description, but isn't that always the way? The party is in the bottom left corner.

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:19, Mon 11 Apr 2016.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 1663 posts
 All Powerfull
 DM
Mon 11 Apr 2016
at 19:18
2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
The party is about 60' above the surface of the water and the nearby beach. The cliffs around the cove are shear, but Logan sees that they feature numerous handholds. (DC15 climb check, but fall into the water if you fail, I will roll to see which 10' segment you fall from).

There is also a rickety wooden walkway descending from the cliff down to the beach below. The slippery, narrow surface could be navigated if taken carefully, and the wooden walkway has not yet been touched by the fire. (DC10 acrobatics check, fall into the water if you fail. If you have acrobatics trained, then you could make a dive check as below if you wanted)

Or you could just dive into the water. Alohan judges that the water is deep enough (20') that a well performed dive could be done safely. (DC20 acrobatics check, 2d3 nonlethal + 2d6 normal damage if you belly flop).
Angati
 PC, 528 posts
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 07:55
2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
Angati decides to remove her armor to be able to take the walkway down without much fear of falling. "I hope we will have the time once down there to put it back on... I might need some help for that to do it quickly". She removes the armor leaving her with some thick cotton made plain garments, and stocks everything into her backpack as Omi watches with interest.

OOC: I believe else I get a -6 because of armor to the acrobatics check.
08:54, Today: Angati rolled 14 using 1d20+5.  Descend Acrobatics check DC10.

Kassius
 player, 368 posts
 HP 21/21 | AC 18/15/13
 Fort+4 | Refl+8 | Will+4
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 13:27
2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
"Are we totally sure we don't want to just scout around from the tops of these cliffs rather than heading down into that inferno?"
Kassius asks doubtfully.
Celene
 player, 836 posts
 Sorcerer 2/Cleric 1
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 14:55
2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
Celene had spent the past week contemplating her place at the temple. Her crisis of faith had been driven by the use of her in born powers. She was grateful for the gifts that Wee Jas had bestowed upon her but somehow they seemed lackluster compared to the torrent of energy that hummed beneath her skin and sang through her veins. She tried to meet with Eseriel but the timing never quite worked out.

Word of Angati’s findings came to her before she was truly able to come to grips with duality of her powers. Instead she focused on the task at hand diving in with both feet into the trip to Kraken’s cove. She had kept quiet of the voyage preferring to enjoy the calm that she assumed would quickly descend into madness. The plume of green smoke marked its arrival.

Celene steps carefully through the mass of dismembered animals and stares in awe at the fires raging below them strangely Celene seemed unaffected by the searing heat coming from below.

”I’d prefer to get down there while we can. Whatever caused this will be there.” said the sorceress as she attempted to climb down the cliff face.

11:04, Today: Celene rolled 8 using 1d20-1.  Climb check.

Not good. :(

This message was last edited by the player at 16:50, Wed 13 Apr 2016.

Kassius
 player, 369 posts
 HP 21/21 | AC 18/15/13
 Fort+4 | Refl+8 | Will+4
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 15:40
2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
Kassius nods agreeably, not wishing to split the group. He and Kibeti climb down the walkway easily.

11:39, Today: Kassius rolled 18 using 1d20+7. Kassius (acrobatics).
Kibeti has a +10 to acrobatics, so he automatically succeeds the DC 10 check to go down the walkway.

Logan
 player, 548 posts
 Rogue 3 HP: 13/21
 AC 18/ F1 R7 W3
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 16:23
2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
Logan easily makes his way down the rickety stairs, still thinking about the things he saw in the woods on the way here.

"What do you think explains all those animals killed in the woods?  It can't have been from the explosion, and I don't Vanthus was just out for a walk, slaughtering them himself.  Doesn't quite strike me as what he would do.  Do you think something got loose from the ships before the fire could kill it?  Is there something we should be watching out for?

+11 to Acrobatics, impossible for Logan to fail.
Alohan Nuari
 player, 399 posts
 2 Savage Barbarian
 2 Unchnd Martial Artist
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 23:51
2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
Alohan had spent the journey in the Blue Nixie's rigging, enjoying his reunion with the sea. This had been his first time hitting the open ocean since leaving the Pearl Islands and he was very much enjoying himself. The salt spray, the breeze- even the bobbing of the Nixie as she carved through the waves was reminding him of simpler times. Responsibilities pulled him back. His duty to his friends, first and foremost. And Lavinia.. that simple, simple woman. To think, he actually wanted to blow her conch.

The Nuari brute remained quiet as they migrated the cliff face. He drew inward, keeping to his pa uma. Once Angati would slip and Alohan would be there. Or Kassius and his loyal companion failed to see the road ahead. Alohan would help spot the way. As the rounded the top, he glanced back to the Nixie, wishing they could be on the sea once more.

As he brought up the rear, Alohan saw the inferno below. "I not be understandin.' Who be settin' ta blaze dere own ships?" Not particularly expecting an answer, Alohan stuck close and began to descend.
Acrobatics: 19:43, Today: Alohan Nuari rolled 14 using 1d20+7 ((7)).
Dungeon Master
 GM, 1669 posts
 All Powerfull
 DM
Wed 13 Apr 2016
at 16:48
2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
Celene:
Celene had spent the past week contemplating her place at the temple. Her crisis of faith had been driven by the use of her in born powers. She was grateful for the gifts that wee Jas had bestowed upon her but somehow they seemed lackluster compared to the torrent of energy that hummed beneath her skin and sang through her veins.


OOC: Heh, heh. Someone is angling to have his stinky cleric level swapped out! :D

The party carefully enter the walkway and begin the decent into the inferno of Kraken's Cove. As they get further and further below the top of the cliffs, they begin to make out more details of what is happening under the smoke and fire. There is a great variety of ships ablaze; a two-masted caravel, a sizeable frigate, a long barge and what might have once been a schooner. Each of them bear the fearsome pirate flag of the Crimson Fleet - a skull and crossbows on a field of crimson. In nautical tradition flying a crimson pennant flag into a battle means 'no quarter asked for nor given'. The Crimson Fleet flies under that flag into every battle.

The walkway is in terrible condition, rotted by the salt air and poorly maintained by the pirates, but the party still manage to almost make it to halfway before the mishap. Celene steps onto a particularly rotted plank and her foot goes all the way through. She instinctively moves her weight back onto the other foot and this slips out from under her. With a shriek she grasps at the walkway by cannot find any purchase (yet ANOTHER construction in this AP with any handrails) - she slips from the structure and falls 40' into the fiery waves below.

More from good luck than skill she manages to enter the water feet first and avoids taking damage. But the breath is still driven from her lungs and she feels like her momentum pushes her way down beneath the surface. From under the water the scene of the burning ships and water above is mottled and almost beautiful, and the light from the fires illuminates the bottom of the harbour. Celene notes that a circular section of harbour bottom about forty feet from shore is entirely barren of life - the rocks and sand gleam, with not a trace of seaweed to be found. She does not have more than a second to think about it before she is clawing to the surface, her lungs bursting for a mouthful of air.

Meanwhile, back on the walkway, the rest of the party are peering down into the burning oil and black waters of the harbour trying to spot Celene. A second later there is a loud *snap* and then Logan calls out and points into the harbour below - the heavy ropes holding a burning caravel have burned through and the ship has wrenched free. The tide is now carrying it quickly towards the west wall of the cove where it is going to smash into the walkway and destroy the section of pathway between them and the beach!

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:13, Wed 13 Apr 2016.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 1670 posts
 All Powerfull
 DM
Wed 13 Apr 2016
at 16:53
2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
OOC: Each member of the party on the walkway can:

a) Stay where they are. The floundering vessel will wipe out the section of walkway between them and the beach, but will pass beneath their current spot. Then they can attempt to climb (horizontally) to the beach (DC15 climb check) or jump into the water (DC15 acrobatics check).

b) Run for the beach and try to get past the section which the boat is going to hit. This requires a DC13 acrobatics check. Failure indicates that they are on the exposes section when the boat hits and get knocked off - they take 1d6 damage from the ship hitting and then make the DC15 acrobatics check to avoid damage from the fall.

c) Something else. This is D&D after all so you can come up with something else if you want.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 1671 posts
 All Powerfull
 DM
Wed 13 Apr 2016
at 17:01
2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
Meanwhile, Celene reaches the surface and finds herself in a chaotic mix of buring oil, smoke and churning water. She hardly has time to take stock of her situation before she sees a new danger.

Twenty feet in front of her is a three masted caravel, still untouched as yet by fire and some of its sails unfurled to reveal stylized figures of a wyvern - its tail raised over its back as though ready to strike its enemies. This ship is currently in a life or death struggle against a burning barge that has become entangled in its mooring chain. The wyvern decorated ship pulls and strains at its moorings, the stress making its timbers creak and groan so loudly that Celene can hear them over the noise of the blaze. Then the ship manages to drag its anchor a few feet and ship position so that its mooring chain is now pulling across the prow of the barge - with a terrible tearing noise the barge is hulled below the waterline and begins to quickly sink. The wyvern ship seems to rear in triumph and then pivots as it totally pulls clear of its anchor - and turns towards Celene.

The sorceress can't help but admire the ornately carved prow, a winged wyvern swooping in to strike, but then realises that it is bearing down on HER!

OOC: DC10 swim check to get out of the way or take some damage
Dungeon Master
 GM, 1672 posts
 All Powerfull
 DM
Wed 13 Apr 2016
at 17:06
2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove

The Sea Wyvern's Prow
Celene
 player, 840 posts
 Sorcerer 2/Cleric 1
Wed 13 Apr 2016
at 18:27
2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
Celene takes a deep breath and the dives into the water hoping to move under and past the prow of the oncoming ship. She kicks frantically under the water but her waterlogged backpack drags her back towards the boat and she smacks against it unceremoniously.

14:26, Today: Celene rolled 0 using 1d20-1.  Swim Check.
Angati
 PC, 530 posts
Wed 13 Apr 2016
at 19:21
2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
Angati again surprises everyone, even herself as she launches on a desperate run down the railing, sure footed as a rat fleeing a fire. She hoped she wouldn't get too separated from her friends, and sent her best wishes down to Celene, but her armour in the backpack was not a good thing for her if she wanted to swim... leaving just running as her only option.

20:18, Today: Angati rolled 21 using 1d20+5.  Acrobatics DC 13.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:21, Wed 13 Apr 2016.

Logan
 player, 549 posts
 Rogue 3 HP: 13/21
 AC 18/ F1 R7 W3
Wed 13 Apr 2016
at 19:38
2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
Watching the ship approaching the delicate walkway, Logan throws all concerns about everything except reaching ground safely to the winds.  Taking a running start, the rogue dashes over the rickety bridge, leaping at the last moment as the vessel collides with the cliff face, barely avoiding the explosion of splinters.  Logan takes a few more strides to regain complete control, then looks back to check the status of his companions.

15:36, Today: Logan rolled 22 using 1d20+11.  Acrobatics.
Kassius
 player, 370 posts
 HP 21/21 | AC 18/15/13
 Fort+4 | Refl+8 | Will+4
Wed 13 Apr 2016
at 19:50
2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
Swift Action: Kassius activates animal focus, changing Kibeti's to tiger (+2 dex), and his to frog (+4 acrobatics to jump, swim)

At Kassius' urging, Kibeti runs down the rickety walkway. The cat hesitates a bit, wondering why Kassius isn't following, but even with the hesitation makes it across with time to spare.

15:47, Today: Kibeti rolled 14 using 1d20+11. acrobatics.

Kassius himself, sees Celene floundering, and leaps into the water after her, attempting to catch her and bullrush her past the ship and to safety.


I don't know if that's actually possible, but he's trying it anyways! I'm assuming I need the acrobatics check to dive into the water, and then a swim check to drag both myself and Celene to safety.
15:49, Today: Kassius rolled 28,23 using 1d20+11,1d20+7.  acrobatics (jump), swim.

Alohan Nuari
 player, 400 posts
 2 Savage Barbarian
 2 Unchnd Martial Artist
Wed 13 Apr 2016
at 22:56
2B - TBG - Part Two: Kraken's Cove
Celene's plummet into the water froze him in fear. He had no idea if she could swim -and while she wasn't as armored as Angati- he still knew she'd have a hard go of it. It didn't take him long to realize what he needed to do. "Get ta de beach!" he hollered over the inferno. It would seem as if his companions didn't need his urging -most were halfway down the walkway!

Alohan threw himself off the slippery timbers and attempted to tighten up into a dive. It had been some time since he was back on the Pearl Islands and his form was quite comical. Instead of straightening and making himself small, the Nuari man landed promptly on his butt. Over the raging inferno, his KAPLONK could be heard echoing off the cavern walls! Even his ensuing splash was a thing of beauty.

Once within the water, Alohan wasted no time diving underneath the caravel. With a few quick strokes, he was enroute to Celene.
Acrobatics: 18:43, Today: Alohan Nuari rolled 14 using 1d20+7.  Dive into the Water.
Damage: 18:44, Today: Alohan Nuari rolled 5,6 using 2d3,2d6 ((2,3,2,4))
Swim: 18:48, Today: Alohan Nuari rolled 25 using 1d20+7 ((18)) Swim to Move Out the Way.